Author Topic: Resident Evil 7: Biohazard  (Read 11163 times)

Tasty

Resident Evil 7: Biohazard
« on: January 22, 2017, 10:08:12 PM »
Apparently this is almost out? Had no idea. This is the least hyped RE ever. :lol

Seems like it's getting OK reviews and impressions.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Re: Resident Evil 7: Biohazard
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 12:39:01 AM »
it'll go on sale after a week
fat

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 12:39:49 AM »
If it's anything like the demo, it'll be Amnesia: the Dark Descent flavored by Capcom. :donot

The reason it isn't hyped is because of that (first person horror) and because of 6. Mostly because of 6. 6 was god awful.

At this point, the only thing I'll accept from Capcom in regards to the series is a 3 remake and porting the HD port of Code Veronica to Steam because that's on MT Framework so the port would be solid.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 12:51:22 AM »
i read a plot outline. none of it sounds very interesting. it probably shouldnt have been called resident evil. at least throw one character in here.
fat

Rahxephon91

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 12:52:32 AM »
I honestly don't think it's anything anyone really wanted. I think honestly people liked the characters, story, and tone of previous RE games. This one seemingly took it all out for honestly no reason. What people probably wanted was just a high budget and ambitious Revelation honestly. More scares, atmosphere, and survival systems did'nt have to come at the expense of the third person gunplay they have honestly been good at.

I don't like Revelations 2 at all, but thats because at the end of the day it's really low budget. The level design is awful and pedestrian. There's little enemy variety and they aren't interesting or scary. The overall presentation is just kind of crummy. Yet, the more slow paced gameplay is a bit better. If they could fix those things, complete with scary enemies and situations that require interesting approaches creating a tense survival experince with I don't know...an interesting ambitious mechanic I think you could have had a really cool followup to RE6.

Yet they seemingly threw everything out for something that doesn't look or feel like RE and I think it will fail because of it.

Yet, I will say it looks a bit more interesting then I thought of before. I don't like the change in character, but the game itself looks visually cool.I think the combat looks kind of bad which is what I expected, but at least it seems to be less Outlast and more RE1. It does look like an interesting game, still it's not what I wanted from a Japanese survival horror game.

Still really interested in trying it out though.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 01:02:42 AM »
i really liked the demo and will buy this when I have time to play it. re6 was a bad game, but the fundamentals of a good game were there. it's just that they completely fucked up by overloading with a ton of boring content. I still think the series needed a shake-up because they'd been doing the over the shoulder tps style for over a decade, but i don't know that this style will be enough to keep the franchise going for another decade.

regardless, I'm hoping it does well enough that it inspires another round of Japanese horror games. i miss those.
pcp

Tasty

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 01:05:21 AM »
It's crazy how every game since 4 they keep fucking up what people liked about 4.

Like RE4, it had a likable main character, had a lot of content, and was focused on one goddamn character (optional Ada stuff notwithstanding.)

All the jumping around between characters with 6/Rev/Rev 2 is like... "what." Are you even trying to be horror anymore? They said Rev/Rev 2 was supposed to be scarier but it's like... no.

Make Rev 3 with one single character and a much higher budget and you'll likely have something fans really enjoy, I'd imagine.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 04:13:10 AM »
I dunno, the early impressions all read pretty good. :yeshrug I don't want to slight Capcom for trying new things : the overall "story" of RE is not so good you have to keep it going at all costs. The characters are fairly iconic but giving them a rest is the right thing to do. There's only so much manors, haunted boats, Weskers and neo-neo-neo Umbrellas you can have.
There's already DLC on the way with some tacticool dude in the visual, maybe one of the legacy character.
ὕβρις

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 07:23:30 AM »
I dunno, the early impressions all read pretty good. :yeshrug

What?  I read impressions from a guy who beat it already and he said that the game completely falls apart in the second half and turns into a shitty generic FPS with crap controls.  It was enough to convince me to wait and see what others think after they've played through it.  I was already not really sold on the game after the demo.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2017, 07:34:49 AM »

The reason it isn't hyped is because of that (first person horror) and because of 6. Mostly because of 6. 6 was god awful.

RE6 still sold really well for them and Revelations 2 was released after it.  Revelations 2 also came off as low-budget crap, so if anything leaves a bad taste in your mouth...it's that game. 

I honestly don't think it's anything anyone really wanted.

It seems like they looked at what had some popularity and went "Oh! Outlast!  Oh!  Amnesia!  Oh!  PSVR!" and threw it all into a blender.

I think honestly people liked the characters, story, and tone of previous RE games. This one seemingly took it all out for honestly no reason.

Huge story spoiler:

spoiler (click to show/hide)
SPOILERS!
It's still all connected to the main Resident Evil universe.  The fucked up characters you meet are the result of an intelligent bioweapon gone-AWOL and infecting a family.  This was the work of Umbrella, who is revealed to be back at the very end of the game.
[close]
[close]

It's crazy how every game since 4 they keep fucking up what people liked about 4.

Mikami, man.  Dude knew what was up. 

I liked RE4, RE5, and Revelations a whole lot.  RE6 was half good and half crap.  Revelations 2 I have yet to finish because it's such low budget jank.  I'm hoping that the RE2 remake that was announced finally surfaces after RE7 releases and is a return to form.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 10:36:11 AM by bork pls »
ど助平

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2017, 07:38:19 AM »
Impressions are by essence anecdotal so... But I didn't dive into them either.
Assessing the level of hype is also a bit of a crapshoot. But I'd agree the marketing seems low key. It looks like Capcom was burned with RE6 and its blockbuster extravaganza. RE7 seems to be more subdued and intimate (relatively), taking cue from first person horror games, I wouldn't be surprised it was aimed at the core audience at first with a lower profit floor.
ὕβρις

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2017, 07:43:04 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised it was aimed at the core audience at first with a lower profit floor.

This is Capcom.  They probably expect it to sell seven million copies day one.  :P
ど助平

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2017, 07:52:04 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised it was aimed at the core audience at first with a lower profit floor.

This is Capcom.  They probably expect it to sell seven million copies day one.  :P

Maybe I'm giving them too much credit for seeing how ridiculous their expectations were for RE5 and 6.
But as I said I'm sure a marketer sold them the idea of the game going viral through LPs by the core audience. The effort expanded on VR (main game is fully compatible, right ?) seems to point that it's all about the "experience".

In a way Capcom kept true to the horror roots by going this way, even if it is derivative.
ὕβρις

thisismyusername

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2017, 08:35:28 AM »
RE6 still sold really well for them and Revelations 2 was released after it.  Revelations 2 also came off as low-budget crap, so if anything leaves a bad taste in your mouth...it's that game.

I haven't gone through Rev2 yet because 6 was awful (as was Revelations 1 now that I think about it. The gunplay just wasn't good.). 6's main claim to fame is in Mercenaries with the new mechanics/slide-dodging thing they introduced. But honestly: I don't need that in my Resident Evil.

Maybe I'm giving them too much credit for seeing how ridiculous their expectations were for RE5 and 6.
But as I said I'm sure a marketer sold them the idea of the game going viral through LPs by the core audience. The effort expanded on VR (main game is fully compatible, right ?) seems to point that it's all about the "experience".

In a way Capcom kept true to the horror roots by going this way, even if it is derivative.

Series fans are luke warm (or outright dislike it) to the idea, I haven't heard any LetsPlay-ers saying they really want to play it. Capcom screwed up in appealing to nobody.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2017, 10:16:28 AM »
I guess we'll see soon enough.
When I speak of the "core audience", it's maybe -indeed- not including estranged fans like you. AT the very least, I'd expect Two Best Friends to have a LP at one point (?)
And as Bork said, the game is said to be much more RE-flavored (though maybe superficially) than the demos suggested.
ὕβρις

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2017, 10:24:46 AM »
RE has been in the pits since 5 so for me this change is welcome. I liked what I played in the demo but it's not super high up on my must play list. Plus I wanna make sure the game doesn't nose dive as it goes. I heard a few things that indicated that it did
nat

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2017, 11:35:43 AM »
the real question is when do we get more mercenaries
pcp

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2017, 11:36:52 AM »
and I wouldn't expect remake 2 this year given that they've shown absolutely nothing yet
pcp

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2017, 11:39:53 AM »
Would steal the spotlight anyway. Would expect them to seat on it at least a year, yeah.
ὕβρις

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2017, 12:06:34 PM »
The reviews are very good for it but still not sure what to think. Eventually I'll get around to it, but RE stopped being a day one franchise for me a good time back.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2017, 12:56:10 PM »
The reviews are very good for it but still not sure what to think. Eventually I'll get around to it, but RE stopped being a day one franchise for me a good time back.

I mean, it's a "AAA" game so I expect most reviews to be high.  I want to see more reviews from people who actually play through the entire game first.  :doge
ど助平

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2017, 01:41:42 PM »
Will rent to check out the vr stuff.
©ZH

Stoney Mason

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2017, 06:02:40 PM »

I mean, it's a "AAA" game so I expect most reviews to be high.  I want to see more reviews from people who actually play through the entire game first.  :doge

I don't doubt that the game is a decent game. I mean after RE 6 the bar is so low that any sort of better game would have been well received. I'm just hoping its a well designed game even if the direction isn't necessarily what I want. That's what resident evil needs. It doesn't necessarily need to go back to its roots or anythin like all the marketing has been about. The game just needs to be well designed like the older/better titles in the series. That's the lesson that should have been learned.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 07:07:34 PM by Stoney Mason »

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2017, 07:24:09 PM »
Apparently it's scoring well with reviews (86 Metacritic with several major outlets in, if you care), so it passes the test of not being another RE6 as far as critical reception goes.
ὕβρις

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2017, 08:04:45 PM »
i need cvxfreak to weigh in on this as a "real" re game
pcp

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2017, 08:28:37 PM »
nah I was talking about from a gameplay perspective too. although my definition might be different from yours because 5 definitely fit in to me.
pcp

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2017, 08:29:11 PM »
i need cvxfreak to weigh in on this as a "real" re game

And if the canon makes sense !

Not to even bring up the horror vs. action debate, just that they don't seem to either remember or realize how old RE games played like. Instead saying "this game is supposed to be scary like old RE" not realizing that RE's scares came mostly from atmosphere, tense encounters and item management instead of the more shallow "yo this is scary". What I'm hearing is that it's an OK game bogged down with crappy boss fights that take too long, fetch quests masked as puzzles and a shitty second half with janky shooting, while being "Resident Evil in name only".

I think it's more a question of intent than adherence to the classic mechanics. They made an horror game back in 96 within context, technical constraints and popular trends; they're making one now within the new parameters of the day. I think that's how the whole "back to its roots" slogan is supposed to be understood : the requirement to make a horror game takes precedence on mechanical heritage.

Then again, Resident Evil has been declined in so many different games that it's hard to pinpoint its supposed essence and identity. One thing they've been consistent at on the horror side, even in the more action oriented game, is going balls to the walls with grotesque and disgusting monsters. RE6 in particular had an amazing variety of that with the Javos.
ὕβρις

Stoney Mason

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2017, 09:23:16 PM »
Resident Evil 4 for me is a perfect game so I am always going to be a bit biased in that I think the series should always take that as the point of departure and evolve it from there. I love the old classic games especially RE 2 but that's a completely different breed of game than what a modern game is.

RE 5 is a good game but its where the series starts to falter because the action overwhelms the other stuff.

I know some weird people like aspects of 6 but that game is such a dumpster fire to me, its hard for me to see the good elements from the bad.

I'll be honest. Part of my doubt for this game comes from some idea in my head that its been influenced by games like Outlast and such and I hate those games. I understand why they are popular but I just don't like them and it bugs me to think of a game like that having an influence on Resident Evil. I don't even know if that's true or not about the influence thing or that it even matters but its in my head for some reason and it bugs me.

thisismyusername

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2017, 10:41:39 PM »
Which confirms to me something I was thinking about since the reveal: Quite a few people who talk about RE returning to it's roots don't seem to understand what RE's roots actually are. Not to even bring up the horror vs. action debate, just that they don't seem to either remember or realize how old RE games played like. Instead saying "this game is supposed to be scary like old RE" not realizing that RE's scares came mostly from atmosphere, tense encounters and item management instead of the more shallow "yo this is scary".

Exactly. I'm sure 7 is a solid game (it really isn't much to brag about given the state of 6 though. :doge :doge :doge :doge :doge), but it's really not what I'm looking for when it comes to the series.

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2017, 02:08:15 AM »
Playing it right now.  :idont

It is the antithesis of RE when it comes to tone and writing. Smart, fun, and to the point. Likable characters, great gore and body horror. Chainsaw is fucking terrifying. Every section if the game is well thought out.

Id say its a perfect marriage of RE and something like Amnesia. Should've happened sooner honestly.
OH!

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2017, 04:05:44 AM »
Couldnt even finish the demo

too scary for me  :-[
[close]

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2017, 04:33:15 AM »
I'm easily impressed but watching Sterling play the beginning of the game yesterday I was astounded by how natural some of the character animation (and/or capture) was for the first women you meet. Face and hair is still held back into the uncanny valley obviously.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 07:10:12 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2017, 07:21:41 AM »
As only a moderate RE fan (only owned RE2 on Dreamcast and 4 on GameCube) this is the perfect youtube candidate.  Seen a couple of hours and it is really intense so far.  Curious how it connects to the greater canon because I haven't seen any of that beyond some subtle nods to items and stuff.     

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2017, 08:07:24 AM »
Wow, is this game universally loved? lol sure feels that way.

I GUESS I'LL BUY A COPY.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2017, 09:58:55 AM »
I watched the Giant Bomb Quick Look, seems p. cool.

I'll admit, I jumped when "Daddy" burst through the wall.  :lol
[close]
©@©™

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2017, 09:59:08 AM »
As only a moderate RE fan (only owned RE2 on Dreamcast and 4 on GameCube) this is the perfect youtube candidate.  Seen a couple of hours and it is really intense so far.  Curious how it connects to the greater canon because I haven't seen any of that beyond some subtle nods to items and stuff.     

Because it doesn't - apparently there's only a little cliffhanger type hook.

There's an umbrella logo on the helicopter that saves you
[close]
fat

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2017, 10:05:42 AM »
Capcom really seem to have put that AAA to good use. I know there's shoddy textures but overall it's a very nice looking game (as far I can tell) everyone seems to say it's a solid 60fps too and good VR experience. Looks very polished and with a lot of work expanded.

I was  :lol and  :ohhh at the fact you can use the car in the garage as an alternative (?). I'm not certain how the game will hold up on repeat plays but I know they have a special mode with items dispatched in different places.
[close]

How varied is the scripting ? Does the game have a variety of trigger small special situations ? I recall the demo was packed to the gills with easter eggs and secrets...

[close]

They also kept the very broad strokes of evil pharma and BOWs but yeah it's really tangential.
[close]
ὕβρις

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2017, 10:19:17 AM »
I played it yesterday and it was pretty good. I'm close to the second boss fwiw (~5 hours in.)

I thought a lot of the dev talk about trying making it "feel" like the original RE was just marketing talk, especially with the specific wording, but I was pretty surprised at how well it translated. I will say it isn't totally like RE1, obviously, but it echoes it throughout all the elements of the game, which is something I've been wanting for quite a while.

I think that all modern FPS horror games are trash/boring/eyeroll-inducing and I thought the demo showed a potentially horrible game, but RE7 sidesteps that by making it play like a classic survival-horror game about 30-40 mins in. Don't get me wrong, it still borrows slightly from more modern games. The videotapes are really linear and scripted events, "the family" are a few notches below DmC levels of edge, and there's some other slight tinges that are influenced by modern horror games. That said, the core game is very tense and plays like the first-person equivalent of classic RE games.

Previewers praised this game's originality and felt that classic RE callbacks were holding this game back, to them I say :donot :sheik . Classic RE emulation is what this game does best, that modern shit can get out.

Your gameplay loop, the way you have to position yourself and shoot enemies, the puzzles, the keys, the locations after it turns into a survival-horror(that I've been to,) the weapons, the saferooms... all of it feels really satisfying. I was shook that they actually played this off really good.

I really recommend picking this up, especially if you like RE1/Survival Horror. Even if it's at a Red Box and not a store for $60.

Even if you really didn't like the demo, I'd still try to get over it as it's only indicative of the first 25 minutes of the game or so. Soon after that point it opens up to an entirely different game.

As far as watching an LP of this game goes, I'm not sure it'll get the full effect. Ex: If you're watching SBFP, I'm sure Pat will go on about how the controls feel really good and how there's lots of elements of the original mixed in, (and Matt making comments/jokes about the edgelord family,) but I think the atmosphere and controls are something they really nailed in this game, and you won't get that solely by watching an LP.
all good news. beyond just having a nonlinear map filled with puzzles, there's a lot more to that resident evil "feel." stuff like using precise shots to stun enemies (something re6 completely fucked up), limited items ofc, etc. glad to see the team recognized that.
pcp

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2017, 10:42:36 AM »
©ZH

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2017, 01:59:00 PM »

[close]

And the guy flying the helicopter says his name is "Redfield."
[close]
ど助平

thisismyusername

« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2017, 05:22:19 PM »
I played it yesterday and it was pretty good. I'm close to the second boss fwiw (~5 hours in.)

I thought a lot of the dev talk about trying making it "feel" like the original RE was just marketing talk, especially with the specific wording, but I was pretty surprised at how well it translated. I will say it isn't totally like RE1, obviously, but it echoes it throughout all the elements of the game, which is something I've been wanting for quite a while.

I think that all modern FPS horror games are trash/boring/eyeroll-inducing and I thought the demo showed a potentially horrible game, but RE7 sidesteps that by making it play like a classic survival-horror game about 30-40 mins in. Don't get me wrong, it still borrows slightly from more modern games. The videotapes are really linear and scripted events, "the family" are a few notches below DmC levels of edge, and there's some other slight tinges that are influenced by modern horror games. That said, the core game is very tense and plays like the first-person equivalent of classic RE games.

Previewers praised this game's originality and felt that classic RE callbacks were holding this game back, to them I say :donot :sheik . Classic RE emulation is what this game does best, that modern shit can get out.

Your gameplay loop, the way you have to position yourself and shoot enemies, the puzzles, the keys, the locations after it turns into a survival-horror(that I've been to,) the weapons, the saferooms... all of it feels really satisfying. I was shook that they actually played this off really good.

I really recommend picking this up, especially if you like RE1/Survival Horror. Even if it's at a Red Box and not a store for $60.

Even if you really didn't like the demo, I'd still try to get over it as it's only indicative of the first 25 minutes of the game or so. Soon after that point it opens up to an entirely different game.

As far as watching an LP of this game goes, I'm not sure it'll get the full effect. Ex: If you're watching SBFP, I'm sure Pat will go on about how the controls feel really good and how there's lots of elements of the original mixed in, (and Matt making comments/jokes about the edgelord family,) but I think the atmosphere and controls are something they really nailed in this game, and you won't get that solely by watching an LP.

I'll probably get it on Steam sale this summer. I doubt a GotY version will hit PC. The demo (outside of a weird shimmering effect on the mold in the locked hallway) performed pretty well. But I'm still :donot toward the idea of first-person.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2017, 07:14:42 PM »
pcp

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2017, 10:19:59 PM »
This game is garbo.
reckt

thisismyusername

« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2017, 10:50:44 PM »
Go on... explain for those of us that haven't played. :doge

Let's Cyber

« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2017, 09:18:14 AM »
I'll just watch the eventual SBFP let's play and decide from there.
:rejoice

[close]
I don't understand why they didn't just

reboot or soft reboot? RE has so much weirdo and insane shit, you can't really just dip you toe into that post-RE6 and play it straight. 
[close]
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 09:42:01 AM by Let's Cyber »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2017, 05:16:53 PM »
dog

thisismyusername

« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2017, 07:58:08 PM »

OMG the moment the boss rips the car up and starts it while he had to get the key. :dead :dead :dead :dead :dead :neogaf :dead

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2017, 08:02:05 PM »
There's probably an Umbrella virus that lets you control electricity and do that :yeshrug
ὕβρις

Rahxephon91

« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2017, 05:40:19 PM »
I have it, but too many other things came out so I haven't played much past the first hour.

I think it looks solid and I was genuinely scared.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 08:05:33 PM by Rahxephon91 »

Let's Cyber

« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2017, 07:59:13 PM »
Most of the LPs i'm watching are around halfway through.  I can't imagine playing this in VR. 

:whew

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2017, 11:12:00 AM »
anyone play vr? heard its the best

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2017, 12:10:19 AM »
I'm enjoying this game so far. Just got the Crow Key, about to fight Margerine I think. I found a book written by Clive O'Brian (from Revelations)
fat

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2017, 10:36:01 AM »
First 3/4 of RE7: "Yo, this is pretty dope"
Last 1/4 of RE7: "Why am I playing FEAR?"

FEAR is pretty good tho.
©@©™

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2017, 01:13:19 AM »
This game isnt Resident Evil 7

It's Breakdown 2
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2017, 10:30:33 PM »
Wow, the second half / ending might as well not exist. LOL

Finished the game. Definitely Breakdown 2.
fat

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2017, 11:58:32 AM »
Can only comment on the LP videos but yeah the nosedive seems pretty noticeable.

It's kind of neat the salt mine circles back to the house but the final boss was really  :doge. Everything after escaping the house felt super linear and the ubiquity of weapons and ammo was a tad ridiculous.
[close]
ὕβρις

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2017, 11:47:56 PM »
just finished it and loved it. as a pretty huge re fan, I'd say this feels like a resident evil game thru and thru. like if re1 was 3d and someone made a first person hack, it'd feel just like this. movement and combat feel great. I agree with wrath in that the map doesn't end up as nonlinear as it initially feels.

as far the game going off a cliff for the last third, well tbh I thought the first part had the best level design of the whole game. the bigger problem was that the game stopped being scary. the final enemy was corny, and the monsters had been recycled so much they weren't scary any more. and then the final final area have you so much items that you were unstoppable. i didn't even see the final boss mechanics because I just unloaded and won.

still, i loved the game and felt like it was an extremely solid entry in the series. i look forward to running it again for unlocks, and playing all the dlc.
pcp

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2017, 11:52:53 PM »
also, as an re lore nerd ( :( x infinity) i had the whole plot figured out in like the first hour. it definitely fits into the canon   :expert
pcp

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2017, 02:33:16 PM »
This game isnt Resident Evil 7

It's Breakdown 2

GOD DAMN you're right

Bebpo

« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2017, 09:52:34 PM »
Just finished it and game is greaaat but what a letdown the final area + especially final boss were.  Like until then the areas were all pretty good/great, the action tough if you're hoarding cause enemies take a lot of hits with pistol, story interesting, atmosphere/graphics/sounds great.  Boss fights were very RE4-ish as were some of the action setpieces.

But then the final area and final boss:

Final area mines were short & zzz, ok you have all your weapons now, shoot a bunch of molded yawn zzzz, get to a lab area and pick up serum, more mines shooting molds zzz, interactive cutscenes in guest house...final boss big face uh just shoot at it and back away?  Then QTE shooting on the ground then QTE grab ice pistol and shooting -> ending.

Like since the final boss was just a big dumb QTE, I guess the real final boss was the 2 fat molded?  I just planted bomb after bomb each time they got up and then a few shotgun shells and that was over.

Eh, compared to the Son w/all the eyes boss fight, that was pretty letdown.  After all that hoarding, never got a chance to blow up the final boss with my magnum, grenade launcher, etc...
[close]

That being said it was a really good ride.  Just scary enough.  Was much better once I ditched VR, as a nice smooth good looking action game >>>>> some extra immersion w/nausea.  Kinda want to play it again because it was just pure fun for most of it like the best RE games.  Definitely the best since RE4, RE5 was ok, didn't play RE6 and it sounds not fun, and the Rev games were mediocre survival horror attempts.  I'd definitely be up for a sequel and I wouldn't mind if they even went a little more RE2 (this was like a halfway between RE1->RE2 in action) since the action combat & boss fights were very solid and I'd be up for essentially a good action RE FPS game.

RE7 kinda reminded me of Condemned except with way better combat.

Anyone played the DLCs?  Worth it?

just finished it and loved it. as a pretty huge re fan, I'd say this feels like a resident evil game thru and thru. like if re1 was 3d and someone made a first person hack, it'd feel just like this. movement and combat feel great. I agree with wrath in that the map doesn't end up as nonlinear as it initially feels.

as far the game going off a cliff for the last third, well tbh I thought the first part had the best level design of the whole game. the bigger problem was that the game stopped being scary. the final enemy was corny, and the monsters had been recycled so much they weren't scary any more. and then the final final area have you so much items that you were unstoppable. i didn't even see the final boss mechanics because I just unloaded and won.

still, i loved the game and felt like it was an extremely solid entry in the series. i look forward to running it again for unlocks, and playing all the dlc.

I actually thought the ship was pretty cool, especially the way you play it with no weapons, then weapons, then slowly getting weapons.  Kept it pretty intense and challenging and you knew the layout by the end.  It's not as good as the main house or old house, but it's good.  The puzzle death area with the son was alright and fine for something different.  Mines were just zzz and ugly.
[close]