Author Topic: SE Signs Deal That Will Waste Millions of Man Hours on Western Trash (SExMarvel)  (Read 12046 times)

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
It's like 60 dollars but they have a bunch of monetization hooks in it anyway? Why are people ok with this?
Hi

Tuckers Law

But don't you get it?!?  Games are a trillion times more expensive now and prices are cheaper than ever!  The developers need that money to stay solvent!

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Please ignore that it's the publisher, and not the developer, that gains from monetization.
[close]

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
I played about 80 hours of Division 2 and never paid anything beyond the base price (although i wouldn't mind the New York expansion, once it's cheap) i guess it depends on how decent the game is beyond the monetization, how much you can ignore it.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Tried to do a mission today, got to a room where I needed to kill 5 enemies to continue and they would just straight up disappear, once while I was in the middle of a takedown :rage

Even when I reloaded the check point 90% of the time there were only 2-4 enemies.

I’ll try again tomorrow and hope it’s not still bugged.

Weird. I had the same thing happen in the Spider-Man game, during the later Negative-Man/Demon fight. I was doing the same stuff for 10 minutes, couldn't figure out what was happening - looked at YouTube and it's supposed to be spawning hordes of enemies that aren't in my playthrough.  :-\

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

chronovore

• relapsed dev
I really don’t like that guy.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
I think The Avengers is a good game that could be a great game with some more content

Well, that's what he's talking about- compares it to Anthem in that they promised "years" of content that might never happen.  The playerbase has dwindled to the point where it's tough to find multiplayer games, etc.  Although he is also talking about PC, which seems unfair to the game as a whole.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 12:52:45 PM by bork »
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator

He dissed Rogue Company in that video.  Rogue Company is fun.   :(
ど助平

MMaRsu

• Administrator

Is it Epic only?

Then its not fun bork
What

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator

Is it Epic only?

Then its not fun bork

You can also get it on all the consoles and it has cross-play/progression.  Good stuff.
ど助平

MMaRsu

• Administrator
I mean I would play it but fuck Epic

Looks like a great game to me, same with that Arena shooter thats only EGS
What

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator

OK, continue to miss out on games over your hate-boner.
ど助平

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
What a mess, I still can't believe Deus Ex died for this.
Hopefully they're working on a new Deus Ex now instead of more mediocre Marvel stuff.

To be fair, I think that this could've worked as just a single player game like the Batman games, but making it a live service thing doomed it from the start.
🤴

Bebpo

Yeah, I keep hearing this game is good, just not amazing and the GAAS post-game is the biggest issue along with the bugs/glitches. That the core combat/gameplay is good and the single player story mode campaign is good.

But man, the game seems like it's gonna die like Anthem and all those other GAAS games.

Which sucks for people like me who will grab it at $20 and want a couple years of character additions if they shut the whole thing down and it barely gets any more characters/stages/bosses/content.

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
Is this dead yet? They still have crazy signage in the Japanese game stores

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Hopefully they're working on a new Deus Ex now instead of more mediocre Marvel stuff.

To be fair, I think that this could've worked as just a single player game like the Batman games, but making it a live service thing doomed it from the start.

Avengers has nothing to do with Montreal or the other S-E studios which have made DX games. Crystal Dynamics hasn't made a Deus Ex game. Their Project: Snowblind was going to be DX, but marketing thought it wouldn't sell, so they pivoted to an original IP, which is an even more difficult push. You can still see how much of the core gameplay would have been DX-esque though.

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.

Avengers has nothing to do with Montreal or the other S-E studios which have made DX games. Crystal Dynamics hasn't made a Deus Ex game. Their Project: Snowblind was going to be DX, but marketing thought it wouldn't sell, so they pivoted to an original IP, which is an even more difficult push. You can still see how much of the core gameplay would have been DX-esque though.

Eidos Montreal had part of their team working on Avengers, and they’re currently working on a Guardians of the Galaxy game as part of this deal.
Margs

Borealis

I recall someone mentioning they did substantial work on the campaign.

But yeah, a sizeable part of the studio is in the credits:

https://www.mobygames.com/game/playstation-4/marvel-avengers/credits

MMaRsu

• Administrator

Not like there arent plenty of other good games to play so :shrug
What

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!

Will do. While Epig continues to close indie studios because they went with the wrong choice. 💅💅🍵🍵:kermit :kermit

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Yeah, I keep hearing this game is good, just not amazing

From who?  Please don't say Era.  :doge

I am also playing the wait-and-see game with this title, though.  If gets enough content and gets better as promised, I'll check it out later on.  Doesn't seem worth it at all right now.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 09:47:50 AM by bork »
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator

CAREFUL!  The other games might use UNREAL ENGINE and you'll want to ditch those too, like Fall Guys!

:heh
ど助平

MMaRsu

• Administrator

CAREFUL!  The other games might use UNREAL ENGINE and you'll want to ditch those too, like Fall Guys!

:heh

I wanted to ditch Fall Guys because they used Epics anti cheat system

In the end I never did play it again

I have nothing against Unreal Engine, its not like they are trying to become a monopoly on that front.
What

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
https://twitter.com/DisGuysaBeast/status/1305865028667617283

:kermit

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Try out Rogue Company on a console!
[close]
ど助平

Svejk

Eidos Montreal had part of their team working on Avengers, and they’re currently working on a Guardians of the Galaxy game as part of this deal.
I hope this gets cancelled.

Rahxephon91

I did'nt really care for the Avenger's game and I think the Gas elements are why.

But I would take a better version of this that was X-men instead. Like pretty much every X-man has a wide range of alternative costumes. Thats maybe microtransactions I'd fall for.

chronovore

• relapsed dev

Huh! Thanks for the correction!

I was only peripherally involved, and didn't have the whole picture.

Bebpo

From this forum and the few people I know irl who picked it up. Generally most people seemed pretty happy with it outside running into some bugs here and there and the single player campaign being short.

Honestly the only negatives anyone has said to me about the single player is that there aren't enough supervillains and you basically are fighting dumb robo grunts and that the campaign is too short to sell on it's on for $60 if there was no post-game. Also could use some more playable characters.

Otoh, basically everyone's said great combat gameplay (essentially it's a character action game x arpg skillset), great story/writing/custscenes, real good graphics.

Sounds like a good for $20-30 game.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator

From this forum and the few people I know irl who picked it up. Generally most people seemed pretty happy with it outside running into some bugs here and there and the single player campaign being short.

I don't see a slew of positive impressions from the last page of this thread and Rahx posted his review on YT where he wasn't thrilled with it.

Honestly the only negatives anyone has said to me about the single player is that there aren't enough supervillains and you basically are fighting dumb robo grunts and that the campaign is too short to sell on it's on for $60 if there was no post-game. Also could use some more playable characters.

Otoh, basically everyone's said great combat gameplay (essentially it's a character action game x arpg skillset), great story/writing/custscenes, real good graphics.

Coming kind of full-circle here- this is what Jim was touching on.  There's not enough content, you're fighting the same AIM enemies over and over again, and it just gets boring.  Will they add enough new content in to make a purchase worth it?  It could very well turn out to be Anthem all over again.  But it could also end up being much-improved.  For all the crap SFV gets, they stuck with it and added a lot to the game over the past few years.  Maybe that will happen with this title, too.  I'm with you and will see how things are going when it's on sale on the cheap.
ど助平

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
What happened with anthem have they just given up on it or are they still trying to salvage it :hmm
(ice)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
What happened with anthem have they just given up on it or are they still trying to salvage it :hmm

Last I saw, they said back in May that the game was getting an overhaul and a small team was working to make it much better and blah blah blah.  Nothing since then. 
ど助平

Svejk

Yeah, they stated that the supposed Anthem 2.0 is still a long ways away...  if it even comes to fruition.  :doge  As many times as it's dropped to $12, I get tempted to fuck around with it, but then ask myself why bother.

Pissy F Benny

EA must have spent a shit load on development for it then, you’d usually expect them to L abandon it and never mention it again, unless there’s someone high up there who has a massive hard on for it :lol :lol :lol
(ice)

So you're saying Black Friday $25 game? I can dig it.
野球

Bebpo

Is this dead yet? They still have crazy signage in the Japanese game stores

So they just delayed everything in production for this.

It's dead

Is Spiderman still coming out on the PS4/5?
野球

Bebpo

I mean I guess?

I think what's going to happen given the new consoles is a soft 2.0 reboot next spring/summer with a lot more content and revised systms, ironing the bugs out. Aka the more polished game that should have launched (though how they had to rush the game when it was in dev for so long idk this industry sucks).

Maybe Spider-Man will launch with the PS5 version then.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
https://avengers.square-enix-games.com/en-us/news/sotg_oct_2020/

With this in mind, we’ve decided to push Kate Bishop’s Operation launch back a bit, out of October. We’re sorry for this slight delay, but we are dedicated as a team to quality first.
We’ve also made the decision to shift our PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S launch to next year to ensure that we give our team the time to deliver a next-gen experience showcasing all that this game is meant to be. More details to come

:crowdlaff

Thank you for buying a ROADMAP suckers
🤴

I did'nt really care for the Avenger's game and I think the Gas elements are why.

But I would take a better version of this that was X-men instead. Like pretty much every X-man has a wide range of alternative costumes. Thats maybe microtransactions I'd fall for.

I don't know what they are holding back for, even these boring Avengers have dozens of costumes to choose from. Even Kamala who is less than a decade old has costumes to choose from that aren't in the game. But so far all the looks I've seen are horrible palette swaps and "casual clothes" (Thor in a t-shirt lmao). Fucking VERIZON branded outfits got dev time over... literally anything else.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
Margs

Borealis

https://twitter.com/gibbogame/status/1324754312279465991

:heh :neogaf :bernie :mynicca :aah :sabu :pacspit :pacspit :aweshum

Mankind Divided contributed a net profit to Square's earnings when it released. Fucking died for this.

:stahp

MMaRsu

• Administrator
Fuck Square Enix, fuck Live service sheit games, fuck Ubisoft, fuck Assassins Creed bullshit,

fuck it all

the game industry is trash
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Fuck Square Enix, fuck Live service sheit games, fuck Ubisoft, fuck Assassins Creed bullshit,

fuck it all

All this anger, let's come together this is a time of healing  :biden
🤴

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator

fuck it all

ど助平

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator

fuck it all

Kill Em All 1985

410,757,864,530 DEAD DEVELOPERS
©@©™

chronovore

• relapsed dev
I’ll be grabbing this at the first sale.

Sho Nuff

I’ll be grabbing this at the first sale.

Me too, I feel like this is gonna be sitting next to the copies of Anthem and Destiny 2 on the Shelf of Embarrassment in the japanese shops

Pissy F Benny

Western trash :pacspit
(ice)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1327688979232272392
 :kermit

In fairness, it's only referring to the Steam version.  They also say that they got this info from another site, whose article has nothing to do with the number of people online and is from October:

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/75890/marvels-avengers-is-big-success-with-2-million-launch-month-sales/index.html
Marvel's Avengers is a big success with 2.2 million launch month sales

Square Enix's new Avengers live game enjoyed successful sales roughly equal to Spider-Man's 2018 release, second to FF7 Remake.

:doge
ど助平

Bebpo

$30 already on PSN

:neogaf

Still gonna hold strong and wait until next year when there's a bigger roster of characters/content and it's $20. Although I'm starting to think they'll reboot it as F2P in a year.

*edit* nm, I'm a sucker. Saw it had a free PS5 version upgrade in 2021 + Spider-Man and...caved and got it for $30
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 02:32:13 PM by Bebpo »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
$30 already on PSN

:neogaf

Still gonna hold strong and wait until next year when there's a bigger roster of characters/content and it's $20. Although I'm starting to think they'll reboot it as F2P in a year.

*edit* nm, I'm a sucker. Saw it had a free PS5 version upgrade in 2021 + Spider-Man and...caved and got it for $30

That's a good price.  Shit, I might cave.  :P
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Even games like Tomb Raider?  Seems suspect.
:thinking
ど助平

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Crazier things have leaked on 4chan and Squenix financials weren't great.

Marvel : Bombed
Tomb Raider : Successful but key players left the team, probably expensive af to do a next gen one
Deus Ex : Ran into the ground with dumb pre-order schemes
Just Cause : ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Hitman : Went back to ioi

With that said, Ubisoft is in a heap of shit and restructuring also and just about managed to avoid a hostile buyout from Vivendi a little while ago.
My biggest question mark is if the price is so low Ubi can afford it or it has been in the works longer.
🤴

kingv

Sell it to microsoft obvi.

Sho Nuff

This is 1900 yen at the secondhand shops as of Wednesday night. I will bite when it hits 480 yen.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
You know, it might not be such a bad idea for Square Enix to throw such rumors out there just to see who would bite or be interested in discussing the options.
🤴

kingv

It's really kind of remarkable that the Avengers game was such a bomb. A well-made Avengers would fucking shit money.

Just make a really killer beat em up with a great campaign.

Of course... if you lose a $100 million selling 3 million copies.... you just have a bad business plan, IMO.