Author Topic: #latestagecapitalism  (Read 359753 times)

BisMarckie

Re: #latestagecapitalism
« Reply #3720 on: February 16, 2022, 10:37:06 PM »
When I feel hungry for pasta I go to some Italian village for 3 days, not to tourist infested Rome :hhh

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #3721 on: February 16, 2022, 11:31:13 PM »

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #3722 on: February 17, 2022, 09:11:45 AM »
https://spectrum.ieee.org/bionic-eye-obsolete

Barbara Campbell was walking through a New York City subway station during rush hour when her world abruptly went dark. For four years, Campbell had been using a high-tech implant in her left eye that gave her a crude kind of bionic vision, partially compensating for the genetic disease that had rendered her completely blind in her 30s. “I remember exactly where I was: I was switching from the 6 train to the F train,” Campbell tells IEEE Spectrum. “I was about to go down the stairs, and all of a sudden I heard a little ‘beep, beep, beep’ sound.”

It wasn’t her phone battery running out. It was her Argus II retinal implant system powering down. The patches of light and dark that she’d been able to see with the implant’s help vanished.

Terry Byland is the only person to have received this kind of implant in both eyes. He got the first-generation Argus I implant, made by the company Second Sight Medical Products, in his right eye in 2004 and the subsequent Argus II implant in his left 11 years later. He helped the company test the technology, spoke to the press movingly about his experiences, and even met Stevie Wonder at a conference. “I went from being just a person that was doing the testing to being a spokesman,” he remembers.

Yet in 2020, Byland had to find out secondhand that the company had abandoned the technology and was on the verge of going bankrupt. While his two-implant system is still working, he doesn’t know how long that will be the case. “As long as nothing goes wrong, I’m fine,” he says. “But if something does go wrong with it, well, I’m screwed. Because there’s no way of getting it fixed.”

Ross Doerr, another Second Sight patient, doesn’t mince words: “It is fantastic technology and a lousy company,” he says. He received an implant in one eye in 2019 and remembers seeing the shining lights of Christmas trees that holiday season. He was thrilled to learn in early 2020 that he was eligible for software upgrades that could further improve his vision. Yet in the early months of the COVID-19 pandemic, he heard troubling rumors about the company and called his Second Sight vision-rehab therapist. “She said, ‘Well, funny you should call. We all just got laid off,’ ” he remembers. “She said, ‘By the way, you’re not getting your upgrades.’ ”

These three patients, and more than 350 other blind people around the world with Second Sight’s implants in their eyes, find themselves in a world in which the technology that transformed their lives is just another obsolete gadget. One technical hiccup, one broken wire, and they lose their artificial vision, possibly forever. To add injury to insult: A defunct Argus system in the eye could cause medical complications or interfere with procedures such as MRI scans, and it could be painful or expensive to remove.

:holeup jesus

Uncle

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #3724 on: February 17, 2022, 02:34:32 PM »
Spud

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #3725 on: February 17, 2022, 02:55:41 PM »

:rollsafe
Uncle

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3726 on: February 17, 2022, 03:40:26 PM »
It's true, I had two murders happen here. One in the parking lot close by, and a guy stabbed his girlfriend to death about 2 appartments to the left.
I slept through the whole thing but it was pretty gruesome from what a neighbour told me and she had recorded her own murder because she feared it would happen.

Whenever locals checked it out, they quickly realized it was 'the place' and they bolted.
Some people also quickly moved away shortly after it happened.

Now I have a neighbour that grows 'medicinal' weed for his girlfriend (he's a chill guy tho, obviously) and some various East European migrants living in the block.
My rent still has gone up, but not as astronomically as it would have without those murders.
🤴

benjipwns

« Reply #3727 on: February 17, 2022, 04:14:08 PM »

benjipwns

« Reply #3728 on: February 17, 2022, 04:59:01 PM »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3729 on: February 18, 2022, 03:34:44 PM »

:lol
🤴

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #3730 on: February 18, 2022, 09:03:54 PM »
before i moved out there had been three separate stabbing deaths and a someone put in hospital with a baseball bat on my road within the last couple of years.

i left because the landlord was jacking up the rent. during a pandemic.

benjipwns

« Reply #3732 on: February 21, 2022, 03:37:33 AM »
This is a pretty good Disney failure too:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney%27s_America

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #3733 on: February 21, 2022, 09:24:27 AM »
BidenDisney's America
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #3734 on: February 21, 2022, 11:27:46 AM »

This only failed because the American public fought tooth and nail against it. The populace these days only suck Disney dick, and when someone as revered as Scorsese dares to say something critical they try to soft-cancel him.

Disney's America would absolutely succeed today.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #3735 on: February 21, 2022, 12:50:12 PM »

This only failed because the American public fought tooth and nail against it. The populace these days only suck Disney dick, and when someone as revered as Scorsese dares to say something critical they try to soft-cancel him.

uh I don't know about that...if it had succeeded it sounds like it would be #cancelled today

This is not a Pollyanna view of America. We want to make you a Civil War soldier. We want to make you feel what it was like to be a slave or what it was like to escape through the underground railroad.

— Bob Weis, Disney Senior Vice President (November 1993)

Peter Rummell, president of Disney Design & Development, stated the park was designed to be a one-day experience, and the goal was to make history "real but also make it fun." Rummell acknowledged that creating entertainment around historical events such as slavery and the Civil War could be controversial, but he elaborated that "an intelligent story, properly told, shouldn't offend anybody ... But we won't worry about being politically correct."
Uncle

benjipwns

« Reply #3736 on: February 23, 2022, 03:20:25 AM »

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #3737 on: February 23, 2022, 03:33:15 AM »

Killers of the Flower Moon is gonna shit over whatever disney pops out this year, i'm not worried about Scorsese losing to cartoons

Tasty

« Reply #3738 on: February 23, 2022, 11:29:08 AM »

uh I don't know about that...if it had succeeded it sounds like it would be #cancelled today

This is not a Pollyanna view of America. We want to make you a Civil War soldier. We want to make you feel what it was like to be a slave or what it was like to escape through the underground railroad.

— Bob Weis, Disney Senior Vice President (November 1993)

Peter Rummell, president of Disney Design & Development, stated the park was designed to be a one-day experience, and the goal was to make history "real but also make it fun." Rummell acknowledged that creating entertainment around historical events such as slavery and the Civil War could be controversial, but he elaborated that "an intelligent story, properly told, shouldn't offend anybody ... But we won't worry about being politically correct."

I think you underestimate the amount of fervent cheerleading Disney receives these days.

Even Mulan filming in concentration camps or whatever barely made a blip of difference.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #3739 on: February 23, 2022, 12:01:29 PM »
Uncle

Tasty

« Reply #3740 on: February 23, 2022, 05:30:19 PM »

Killers of the Flower Moon is gonna shit over whatever disney pops out this year, i'm not worried about Scorsese losing to cartoons

:hesright

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

benjipwns

Tasty

« Reply #3743 on: March 05, 2022, 01:25:24 PM »
https://twitter.com/derektmuller/status/1499917897451380736

I still remember the audible gasp in the theater when that shot was shown in I Am Legend. :lol

It got more of a reaction than the zombie scares. :lol

The other big gasp they had was for the Batman/Superman movie poster. "Like that would ever happen." :lol

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3744 on: March 05, 2022, 02:25:56 PM »

:doge
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3745 on: March 06, 2022, 10:32:23 AM »
https://www.thedriftmag.com/what-was-the-ted-talk/
The most popular young person was a French woman who was using machine learning (the most interesting thing of all) to help refugees (the most inspiring cause of all?). She called her idea “tech-fugees.”
:doge
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

benjipwns

benjipwns

« Reply #3748 on: March 12, 2022, 10:49:09 AM »

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #3749 on: March 12, 2022, 12:59:47 PM »
AI model detects mental disorders based on web posts

https://techxplore.com/news/2022-03-ai-mental-disorders-based-web.html?fbclid=IwAR10UoQxwQN6_CYraOdpe1yoMkpPe7d3aEO-l0UuCXYhmlqCuQz_vEW4Vqs

Jeez, imagine deploying this to RE, it'll probably crash.
^_^

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #3750 on: March 12, 2022, 01:06:33 PM »
 :rash

who is ted danson?

• ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀✋💎✋🤬
« Reply #3751 on: March 12, 2022, 01:10:21 PM »
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #3752 on: March 12, 2022, 01:35:55 PM »
Call me when it can detect mental disorders based on likes, or most importantly, on lack of them  :ufup
Margs

Tasty

« Reply #3753 on: March 12, 2022, 02:49:53 PM »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3754 on: March 15, 2022, 06:42:16 PM »

:gbcry
🤴

benjipwns

benjipwns

« Reply #3756 on: March 21, 2022, 10:06:47 PM »

Tasty

« Reply #3757 on: March 21, 2022, 10:54:46 PM »

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/mar/20/great-resignation-great-regret-employees-quitting

Employers across the US have been dealing with a historic shift in labor thanks to the pandemic. We know it as the Great Resignation, and the pundits have been falling over themselves to explain to us why employers are at fault. Now it looks like the Great Resignation may be followed by the Great Regret.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #3758 on: March 22, 2022, 07:49:27 AM »

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/mar/20/great-resignation-great-regret-employees-quitting

Employers across the US have been dealing with a historic shift in labor thanks to the pandemic. We know it as the Great Resignation, and the pundits have been falling over themselves to explain to us why employers are at fault. Now it looks like the Great Resignation may be followed by the Great Regret.

I assume that this is here as an implication that late stage capitalism is desperately trying to retain workers with stories like this, but what they're saying is actually true, a lot of people don't understand what they've got until it's gone

That theory has been given credence by another study released this week by the job search site the Muse. Its study of more than 2,500 workers found that almost three-quarters of them (72%) experienced either “surprise or regret” that the new position or new company they quit their job for turned out to be “very different” from what they were led to believe. Nearly half (48%) of these workers said they would try to get their old job back thanks to a phenomenon that The Daily Muse is calling “shift shock”.

at the place I work there have been 3 or 4 people over the years who have left and immediately regretted it and tried to come back, one guy actually was able to come back but for most it's too late

one guy left for an IT position at a manufacturing plant, he got there and was told "oh we're a family business and we like everyone to understand everyone else's jobs here, so you're going to be working on the production floor for 2 weeks just to get a feel for what we do here"

:titus
Uncle

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #3759 on: March 22, 2022, 09:54:57 AM »
Once upon a time in a village, a man appeared and announced to the villagers that he would buy monkeys for $10 each.

The villagers, seeing that there were many monkeys around, went out to the forest and started catching them.

The man bought thousands at $10 and as supply started to diminish, the villagers stopped their effort. He further announced that he would now buy at $20. This renewed the efforts of the villagers and they started catching monkeys again.

Soon the supply diminished even further and people started going back to their farms. The offer increased to $25 each and the supply of monkeys became so little that it was an effort to even see a monkey, let alone catch it!

The man now announced that he would buy monkeys at $50! However, since he had to go to the city on some business, his assistant would now buy on behalf of him.

In the absence of the man, the assistant told the villagers; "Look at all these monkeys in the big cage that the man has collected. I will sell them to you at $35 and when the man returns from the city, you can sell them to him for $50 each."

The villagers rounded up with all their savings and bought all the monkeys.

They never saw the man nor his assistant, only monkeys everywhere!

Now you have a better understanding of how the cryptocurrency market works.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2022, 03:54:03 PM by james »
:O

BisMarckie

« Reply #3760 on: March 22, 2022, 09:58:12 AM »
Isn’t that the plot of Ape Escape 2?

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3761 on: March 22, 2022, 12:21:32 PM »

I assume that this is here as an implication that late stage capitalism is desperately trying to retain workers with stories like this, but what they're saying is actually true, a lot of people don't understand what they've got until it's gone

That theory has been given credence by another study released this week by the job search site the Muse. Its study of more than 2,500 workers found that almost three-quarters of them (72%) experienced either “surprise or regret” that the new position or new company they quit their job for turned out to be “very different” from what they were led to believe. Nearly half (48%) of these workers said they would try to get their old job back thanks to a phenomenon that The Daily Muse is calling “shift shock”.

at the place I work there have been 3 or 4 people over the years who have left and immediately regretted it and tried to come back, one guy actually was able to come back but for most it's too late

one guy left for an IT position at a manufacturing plant, he got there and was told "oh we're a family business and we like everyone to understand everyone else's jobs here, so you're going to be working on the production floor for 2 weeks just to get a feel for what we do here"

:titus
The key is in this sentence I think:
Working for a small business can be rewarding, fun and more flexible than at a larger organization. But in the end, we’re just a business.

I work at a small yet profitable business but we get candidates that want to stop working at a corporation while retaining all their corpo benefits.

We also have an employee that suffered from a burn-out due to all the COVID stress and working from home. And we did our best to help her paying for therapy and counseling and whatnot.
Her therapist told her that it was better to start working 3 instead of 4 days. Which is something she wanted but she still wanted to get paid for 4 days.
Now this is an employee that hasn't been 'profitable' for over a year asking for a 20% pay raise just 2 weeks after returning from a burn-out.

Needless to say we weren't going along with her demands and she has found another job (which is probably better for everyone involved) but I highly doubt it'll be any different.
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #3762 on: March 22, 2022, 03:47:20 PM »
As the proprietor of an LLC now, it's interesting being on the other side of conversations. My big goal right now is to turn my two contractors into actual real employees, but holy hell is that a giant fucking mountain to climb. I don't think I can get there this year, but stranger things have happened.

Personally I'm trying to be generous and flexible right now because the relationships I'm building with the talented people I'm working with is more important than the short-term "eek out as much work for as little pay+benefits as possible." And my guys understand that I'm basically one dude working 40 hours/week at a local pizza joint to support them right now, so they've been really gracious to me. Transparency goes a long way I've found.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3763 on: March 23, 2022, 03:09:40 AM »
Some portion of the Great Resignation is coming from reactions to COVID. There's a feeling of helplessness and lack of choice when confronting a pandemic, but the ability to tell your employer that you're done with them is readily actionable.

So, yes, I see this as related to the middle aged white guys fighting the greeters at Best Buy over their mask policy. This is related to the increase in "Karen" videos. People are at their limit, and acting out in weird ways. Quitting your job because you're fed up with everything makes more sense than most other options. I bet there's a spike in breakups with romantic partners as well.

This does not imply that businesses don't have it coming, and that the era has brought the unfairness unreasonableness of many practices into sharp focus. Tip culture should be banished. Wal-Mart should not be able to thrive with record profits while using a workforce which requires SNAP/Food Stamps.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #3764 on: March 23, 2022, 03:25:25 AM »
cost of living has risen enough to diminish any reasoning to give 40+ hours a week of your life away. you can be working your ass off and still not be able to afford your own place with enough extra to get out and enjoy life on your off time. why would anybody care about a job under these circumstances? whether they work or not, there are a lot of young adults stuck living at home with their parents. moving out used to be motivating, not that's been taken away for taken away for many.

you work, you're broke and miserable. you don't work, you're broke and miserable.  :trumps

out here in california the food truck/pop up vendor  thing has taken off. I'd say that could be a small part of it. once they start making enough, they happily quit their shitty jobs.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #3765 on: March 23, 2022, 04:51:18 AM »
If a subclass of "the working poor" exists, you can't call yourself a first world country.
Spud

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #3766 on: March 23, 2022, 04:02:17 PM »

« Last Edit: October 26, 2022, 12:38:12 AM by team filler »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3768 on: March 24, 2022, 11:02:55 PM »
it's also worth mentioning that some of these places with "now hiring" signs and ads, are not hiring people who apply. I know someone who got turned away with the reasoning "overqualified" or some horseshit, and they had recently been working the exact same job somewhere else  :doge

I understand the "overqualified" logic: hiring staff has attached costs, and if someone is overqualified, they're likely to leave for a better job, incurring those attached costs for a new hire.

Still sucks though, especially when I'm desperate for work.

who is ted danson?

• ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀✋💎✋🤬
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Tasty

« Reply #3770 on: March 25, 2022, 12:38:58 PM »
Apple, Microsoft top list of most ethical tech companies

I know Oracle, Twitter and Facebook are probably fucking the curve really badly, but I still got a laugh.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #3771 on: March 25, 2022, 01:57:41 PM »
Apple, Microsoft top list of most ethical tech companies

(Image removed from quote.)

I know Oracle, Twitter and Facebook are probably fucking the curve really badly, but I still got a laugh.

Yeah, my company made the list, I remember seeing the press release a few weeks ago.
^_^

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Tasty

chronovore

• relapsed dev

benjipwns

« Reply #3775 on: March 31, 2022, 10:59:31 PM »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #3776 on: March 31, 2022, 11:01:32 PM »
« Last Edit: October 13, 2022, 03:10:02 PM by team filler »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3777 on: April 01, 2022, 04:08:50 AM »
If you clean up your act, learn people how to run things when you are not around and do your job properly before your vacation you won't get any calls of people aksing wtf you are doing or what they should do. :trumps
🤴

Tasty

benjipwns

« Reply #3779 on: April 02, 2022, 02:46:56 PM »