Author Topic: #latestagecapitalism  (Read 356487 times)

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
Re: #latestagecapitalism
« Reply #420 on: October 06, 2018, 12:44:14 PM »
She should have asked her record company. Or does she actually own her own music?

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #421 on: October 06, 2018, 01:10:45 PM »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #422 on: October 06, 2018, 01:43:51 PM »
https://twitter.com/tedgioia/status/1048250576637714433
You know, I understand that society considers things like IQ, income, 'college education or no' measurements of intelligence.

But I have to say that most hedgefunders and investors are fucking stupid.
🤴

jorma

« Reply #423 on: October 06, 2018, 01:45:36 PM »
Remember when Swift took her music off Spotify cause she wanted a bigger cut. Bigger cut of what?

presumably a bigger cut of spotifys 4 billion dollar revenue

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #424 on: October 06, 2018, 02:04:04 PM »

Oblivion

« Reply #425 on: October 06, 2018, 06:54:00 PM »

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #426 on: October 06, 2018, 08:12:32 PM »
Free marketing.

There is / was a strip club in OC called The Library.

Oblivion

« Reply #427 on: October 06, 2018, 08:38:23 PM »
Free marketing.

Was this intended to be a pun?

Propagandhim

Propagandhim

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #430 on: October 07, 2018, 07:29:44 PM »
Ew

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #431 on: October 07, 2018, 07:38:28 PM »
didn't he write for egm  :lol

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #432 on: October 08, 2018, 01:39:35 AM »

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #433 on: October 09, 2018, 11:23:38 PM »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #434 on: October 10, 2018, 04:32:37 AM »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #435 on: October 10, 2018, 10:54:22 PM »

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #436 on: October 11, 2018, 06:03:49 AM »
Moderate - Populist is the biggest surprise.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #437 on: October 13, 2018, 03:41:53 AM »

Kara

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #439 on: October 13, 2018, 06:48:12 PM »

I'm going to attend one of his seminars on Magic and find out if Izzet Control is viable in the current Standard metagame.
©@©™

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #440 on: October 16, 2018, 01:55:07 PM »
🤴

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #441 on: October 16, 2018, 02:57:30 PM »
I've already seen Star Trek TNG.
©@©™

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #443 on: October 17, 2018, 06:30:08 PM »
I encountered #latestagecapitalism IRL today.

One of the girls at the supermarket I frequently visit had her hours cut and will likely lose her job soon.
I felt pretty bad for her but the only thing she can do in 'protest' against her boss is to give regular customers more discount coupons.  :doge
🤴

kingv

« Reply #445 on: October 18, 2018, 05:57:11 PM »
https://twitter.com/tedgioia/status/1048250576637714433
You know, I understand that society considers things like IQ, income, 'college education or no' measurements of intelligence.

But I have to say that most hedgefunders and investors are fucking stupid.

Huge amounts of comapnies followed this same pattern though;  Spotify will likely some day shutter it's Free service and fairly quickly become hugely profitable.   

You'd be "fucking stupid" to judge a company based on meme tweets.   Their free tier helped them reach their #1 position in the market w/o any reason to believe they'd lose that position;  removing the free tier would only add more paid customers.

I think this sort of ignores how poorly most startup funds perform.

The vast majority perform far worse than the market, and the ones that don’t are typically because they made a really lucky bet on a company that got huge. But even this is really only profitable becauE the market is willing to value companies that lose billions of dollars per year every year very highly for some reason.

This story of how a company will figure out monetization later is told often but doesn’t seem to work all that often.

The list of tech companies with crazy valuations(either today or at some point in the past)  that seem not to be viable businesses includes many of the most famous tech companies:
- Snap
- Uber
- Spotify
- Tesla

I wouldn’t be surprised if none of those ever make a dime.

Kara

« Reply #446 on: October 18, 2018, 10:54:53 PM »
My hunch is that it's a facet of the larger capital strike. The odd success story is just a win with house money.

e: Though companies like Uber obviously fulfill political aims too.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #447 on: October 19, 2018, 05:18:15 AM »
how would they deal with the PR?

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #448 on: October 19, 2018, 06:06:10 AM »
Point at free trials and call it a day, I guess.

Paying members won't stop paying if freeloaders like me are kicked out. Particularly because I wouldn't convert to paying, ever.

kingv

« Reply #449 on: October 19, 2018, 08:55:50 AM »
Kingv:  What in the world are you talking about?  I’m not talking about companies that haven’t figured out monitization I’m talking about Spotify.  They are getting investors because they could become profitable overnight if they shutter their free tier.

Many of the most successful businesses lost money for years and had money thrown at them because the path to profitability was clear and near guaranteed.  Spotify is one of those companies. 

And I mean literally overnight;  kill the free tier and they are hugely profitable instantly .  They’d then in turn gain even more subscribers, boom, even more popular.

Just like Snapchat, right? All they got to do is figure out how to make money from all of those users who aren’t paying them anything.

Just as likely, they get rid of the free tier and many people just go elsewhere like pandora or I heart radio or the amazon music tier that comes with Prime.

Maybe it will work the way you say, but it’s definitely not as guaranteed as you make it sound.... and to the best of my knowledge they weren’t profitable before the free tier, either.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #450 on: October 19, 2018, 09:02:22 AM »

Kara

« Reply #451 on: October 19, 2018, 09:03:58 AM »

kingv

« Reply #452 on: October 19, 2018, 01:50:33 PM »
I like the idea that there are Uber Labour drivers that just drive around to the Home Depot parking lot or whatever and pick up a bunch of Mexicans for all these odd jobs. So it’s exactly the same system as today, but with Uber taking some sort of cut.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #453 on: October 19, 2018, 02:37:00 PM »
Spotify sort of needs a free tier because that's how people trial Spotify, get hooked, and then upgrade to the ad free subscription. If they removed that people would just go back to pirating and probably never try Spotify at all.
每天生气

shosta

« Reply #454 on: October 19, 2018, 04:20:40 PM »
That's real! Name a successful platform that both dominates its market and doesn't have a free tier
每天生气

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #455 on: October 19, 2018, 04:21:14 PM »
Hbo

jorma

« Reply #456 on: October 19, 2018, 04:32:36 PM »
Hbo

And that's why i pirate hbo content, because i aint paying for that AND netflix

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #457 on: October 19, 2018, 04:40:12 PM »
Don’t include me in this I just had an answer

And pay for spotify

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #459 on: October 21, 2018, 02:19:18 PM »

Kara

« Reply #460 on: October 21, 2018, 02:55:13 PM »
This isn't a fine specimen but an American bank accusing other American banks of robbing people when it's the rump that emerged from a 2008 era nationalization is rich on so many levels it ought to have a digestif served with it.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩

kingv

« Reply #462 on: October 26, 2018, 01:29:21 AM »
I was just reading about SNapchat and investors are fucking crazy.

This company is valued at almost $7 billion, lost $3.5 billion last year, is bleeding users and investors are like “they should go private!” As if they weren’t private like 2 years ago!

kingv

« Reply #463 on: October 26, 2018, 02:15:34 AM »
Just like Snapchat, right? All they got to do is figure out how to make money from all of those users who aren’t paying them anything.

Just as likely, they get rid of the free tier and many people just go elsewhere like pandora or I heart radio or the amazon music tier that comes with Prime.

Maybe it will work the way you say, but it’s definitely not as guaranteed as you make it sound.... and to the best of my knowledge they weren’t profitable before the free tier, either.

You are seriously dumber than shit or something.

They have a TON of paying customers;  more than enough to be profitable.

They are losing money because of the licensing spend on free users.  They do not need to figure out how to make money from these people to be profitable;  they don't need to KEEP these people either.  If they cancel the free tier they will of course lose tons of "customers", "customers" who are losing them money.  They will also convert many of these freeloaders into paying customers, and there's zero reason to think existing paying customers would be mad the free tier is gone.

Like seriously how are you this fucking stupid?  Do I have to draw you a picture or something?

You could point to some quarterly reports or something like that instead of tales from your ass.

What lartjof Spotify has never ever made a fucking dime of profit do you not understand?

Spotify is in a uniquely shitty position compared to something like Netflix.
1) they pay a royalty per play, unlike movie services which are usually a flat fee so your most loyal users are the least profitable
2) there have basically the exact same product as their competitors. I am a paying Spotify subscriber, and there is literally no reason for me to stick with them over Apple Music, google music, that jay-z one, amazon music,or whatever they are now calling Xbox music. All of these services are basically exactly the same. On the margins one has Taylor Swift and one has Beyoncé albums a few weeks earlier. But net-net Spotify has 0 pricing power because there is literally a half dozen identical services to move to.
3) The record labels have Spotify screwed. Netflix was pretty smart to start developing their own content because they realized that eventually their suppliers would squeeze them out of existence if they didn’t have something to fall back on. But what is Spotify without Arista or Columbia records? They’re fucking not worth a damn that’s what. This is proven by the fact their gross margins look more like Mattel than google. If the big record companies come up and ask for an extra penny they don’t have much negotiating leverage. They claim that one day they will get big enough to get some but it will never ever happen because of the half dozen competitors ready to eat their lunch. You can ask the cable companies how well holding out on popular channels has worked for them in holding down their costs over time. And you can look at your cable bill and understand it hasn’t worked very well.

4) they actually make money on the free tier from a gross perspective (at about a 17% margin) This is better than your scenario really, but it kind of blows up the whole “if they dump free tier they are hugely profitable” because it would actually get a bit worse unless they cut sg&a to go with it.

I’m sure there is a profitable model for Spotify, but imo it’s going to look a lot more like twitter than google. Both Spotify and twitter have crazy valuation.

kingv

« Reply #464 on: October 26, 2018, 08:01:48 AM »
thus is a direct copy and paste from their q2 financial statement press release:

Premium Gross Margin was 26.9% in Q2, up from 26.0% in Q1 and 24.1% in Q2 2017. Ad- Supported Gross Margin was 16.3% in Q2, up from 12.7% in Q1 and 13.6% in Q2 2017. Ad- Supported Gross Margins are relatively strong in our developed markets and relatively weak in our emerging markets. As the emerging markets grow, margins should too.

All it means is that for every $1 of advertising revenue they take in on free users they pay out about $0.84 in COGS (which in this case is just royalty fees and  server costs).

kingv

« Reply #465 on: October 26, 2018, 10:57:19 AM »
Maybe he’s taking acquisition costs into account?

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #466 on: October 26, 2018, 03:13:00 PM »
They sell at a loss, but make up for it on volume.
©@©™

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #467 on: October 28, 2018, 09:58:12 PM »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #468 on: October 28, 2018, 11:34:48 PM »
Bulldoze the Amazon and fill it up with strip mines :rejoice
dog

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #469 on: October 28, 2018, 11:37:44 PM »
As a Canadian, I approve. 

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
©ZH

hampster

« Reply #471 on: October 29, 2018, 11:46:54 AM »
Twitter to remove 'like' tool in a bid to improve the quality of debate
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2018/10/28/twitter-remove-like-tool-bid-improve-quality-debate/

First they came for filler and I did not speak... :'(
Zzz

shosta

« Reply #472 on: October 31, 2018, 05:48:44 PM »
https://www.ispot.tv/ad/d_6t/adt-smart-security-scarecrow-service

While making their way through a corn maze, a couple looks at their ADT front porch camera to see a group of neighborhood hoodlums approaching the house with intent to egg it. The mischievous kids think twice when they realize they're being monitored and are quickly scared away by the ADT scarecrow mode activated by the couple. ADT promises its Smart Security will help protect your home no matter where you find yourself.

now you can yell at kids to get off your lawn no matter where you are
每天生气

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #474 on: November 05, 2018, 07:04:17 AM »
Was sent to pick up lunch during lunchtime

Im not getting any

Instant ramen time

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #475 on: November 05, 2018, 02:31:20 PM »
Next year the biggest Dutch banks are going to start replacing all ATM's with 'MoneyBuddies'

:doge
🤴

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #479 on: November 07, 2018, 08:47:27 PM »