Author Topic: #latestagecapitalism  (Read 356287 times)

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
Re: #latestagecapitalism
« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2017, 09:47:34 PM »

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2017, 12:12:43 AM »

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #64 on: September 01, 2017, 06:26:59 PM »
https://www.juicero.com/company-news/
To our loyal customers and partners,

Since our launch 16 months ago, we’ve been grateful for the support you’ve shown toward our mission of bringing more fresh produce into people’s lives. Juicero has grown so much thanks to your loyalty.

However, today, after selling over a million Produce Packs, we must let you know that we are suspending the sale of the Juicero Press and Produce Packs immediately.

In order to fulfill our mission, we announced last month that we would shift our resources to focus on lowering the price of the Press and Produce Packs. We began identifying ways that we could source, manufacture and distribute at a lower cost to consumers.

During this process, it became clear that creating an effective manufacturing and distribution system for a nationwide customer base requires infrastructure that we cannot achieve on our own as a standalone business. We are confident that to truly have the long-term impact we want to make, we need to focus on finding an acquirer with an existing national fresh food supply chain who can carry forward the Juicero mission.

For the next 90 days, we are offering refunds for your purchase of the Juicero Press. Please contact help@juicero.com by December 1, 2017 to request a refund for your purchase. If you have an active Pack subscription, you will receive your final delivery next week (week of September 4th).

As we enter this new chapter, we also want to express the deepest gratitude to our employees who have poured their hearts and souls into developing, launching and growing Juicero over the past 3 years. Words alone cannot express how humbled we are by their commitment, ingenuity and talents; they have showed true care for each other, our amazing customers and our shared mission. While this decision will affect them personally, we’re committed to ensuring a fair transition for all. We could not be more proud of our team and are excited to see the positive impact they will continue to have in the world. If your company is hiring and has interest in talking with any of our employees, please contact us at jobs@juicero.com.

In a short period of time, you’ve validated that there is national demand for easier access to fresh produce and hassle-free cold-press juicing — thank you again for coming on this journey with us.

Thank you,

The Juicero Team

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #65 on: September 01, 2017, 06:30:25 PM »
The market has spoken.
©@©™

Tasty

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #67 on: September 13, 2017, 03:28:31 PM »

Tasty

« Reply #68 on: September 13, 2017, 05:21:47 PM »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #69 on: September 13, 2017, 05:51:27 PM »
A tech startup...that hopes to replace mom-and-pop shops with unmanned boxes that rely on an app and artificial intelligence

:thinking
dog

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #70 on: September 14, 2017, 05:25:34 AM »

Tasty

« Reply #71 on: September 14, 2017, 02:15:02 PM »

PlayDat

« Reply #72 on: September 15, 2017, 06:09:48 PM »
The snowflakes at Reason would like it if poor people stopped being mean to millionaires.

Quote from: Reason
So this is not a story about gentrification or "evil tech bros" at all. Nevertheless, CEO and co-founder of Bodega Paul McDonald had to go on the internet to apologize for the fact that people were just reflexively outraged for no reason. No, McDonald says, they're not trying to put corner stores out of business

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #73 on: September 16, 2017, 04:56:57 AM »
https://twitter.com/moneyries/status/908009558735572993

Though I enjoy the humor, this comic misses the same point I've heard made with other efforts where samaritanism is not at the core of the effort. SV is doing a lot of interesting stuff, and it's all driven by money. So much money that it has made a mess of the wage structuring in the entire area. People who aren't in tech can't afford to live in the area, so you've got school teachers living two hours away and commuting in every day. That's unsustainable. It will break, eventually.

It's like, people bitch about how there's not some major change coming from The Internet People and High Tech Sector, and they make fun of bullshit products like that juice-bag-squeezing startup — and rightfully so! They're not being given the things they want, but they are failing to acknowledge how much of their daily life has been already touched by having internet access on a palm-sized device they can take with them anywhere. Like, I'm not recommending this, but a college kid can potentially buy a $49 Kindle Fire and a $32 BT keyboard, and use it as a laptop for writing papers, using Silk to access Google Docs and Sheets for free. This is a <$100 solution based on the results of the free market producing something inexpensive and yet practical.

I feel there's a connection here, too, to the FOSS movement, where many outsiders are critical of how engineers have spent their time on it, saying that time could more productively be spent on finding a cure for cancer, or fixing the printer drivers, or improving the way screen real estate is handled in dialogs… BUT NONE OF THAT IS FUN, apparently! And we can't tell hobbyists what to enjoy in their spare time just because it's not helping us directly at this moment. When I hear people complain like this, I want to tell them to fuck off, grow up, go home, learn to code, and then be the change they want to see in the world.

:OLD_MAN_SHOUTS_AT_CLOUDS.gif

PlayDat

« Reply #74 on: September 16, 2017, 10:31:16 AM »
I feel like SV tech bros are already lavished with plenty of praise for the nice stuff they've created.  That same heightened status could be the reason everyone thinks their app is worth millions from venture capitalists.  I agree with you on the topic of open source development.  As long you're not creating something unethical then knock yourself out. Have fun with it!

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #75 on: September 18, 2017, 05:49:42 AM »

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #76 on: October 07, 2017, 05:53:32 AM »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #78 on: October 07, 2017, 02:09:50 PM »
lol at the mcdonald's sezchuan sauce fuckery

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #79 on: October 07, 2017, 03:21:37 PM »
Is the Marvel-Northrop Grumman advertisements really "late stage" capitalism, though ?
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #80 on: October 07, 2017, 06:30:38 PM »
lol at the mcdonald's sezchuan sauce fuckery

Packets are going for a thousand on eBay apparently.  :stop :stahp :iface :mindblown
ὕβρις

curly

• cultural maoist

warcock

« Reply #82 on: October 29, 2017, 04:21:40 AM »
<---licensed robot prostitute

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #83 on: October 29, 2017, 06:45:40 AM »
https://twitter.com/alexisgoldstein/status/923939193688154112

Would you rather have people not have jobs ? Are you some kind of communist, son ?
ὕβρις

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #84 on: October 29, 2017, 12:40:18 PM »

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #86 on: October 30, 2017, 07:23:40 AM »
This is how bad shit is in London

Shared Ownership provides an affordable, smart way to buying a new or resale home; you simply purchase a share in a brand new property - usually a minimum of 25% of the home's value – and pay a subsidised rent on the part you don't own. In future, if you wish, you can usually buy further shares until you own your home outright.

http://www.sharedownershipweek.co.uk/

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #87 on: October 30, 2017, 10:45:37 AM »
Consider buying a rundown dump and renting it out to poor minorities that can't afford to live in a better home. #Lifehacks
©@©™

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #88 on: October 30, 2017, 10:55:14 AM »
<---licensed robot prostitute

define the polymorphism of your interface(s) so i can assess whether you have support for a wide range of variant inputs

alternatively, please share the protocol and encryption model for your service's back door
duc

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
dog

hampster

« Reply #90 on: March 01, 2018, 11:57:12 PM »
The phone will eventually cost $400...

:rofl
Zzz

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #91 on: March 04, 2018, 04:20:05 PM »

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #92 on: March 04, 2018, 05:01:26 PM »
Real talk, a retail job I had ages ago had super conservative management. During "training" they put my in the break room with a binder of DVDs I had to watch to get up to speed on company policy and what not, and one of them was a "unions are evil" dvd that had been produced within the decade. They hilariously really hammered home how much unions contribute to organized crime at every opportunity. I was like what organized crime? The mafia barely exists any more, are unions secretly funding MS13 or something? You'd think Whitey Buldger was strangling union leaders by the dozens the way they were talking about it.

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #93 on: March 04, 2018, 06:52:02 PM »
https://twitter.com/businessinsider/status/969273297690079234

I want something like this, and look forward to some kind of future kindle phone. a hyper simple e-ink phone which i can also read long form pieces on will be great.
◕‿◕

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #94 on: March 10, 2018, 11:59:31 PM »
https://joeyh.name/blog/entry/prove_you_are_not_an_Evil_corporate_person/

Google Is Helping the Pentagon Build AI for Drones

"to automate the identification and classification of images taken by drones — cars, buildings, people — providing analysts with increased ability to make informed decisions on the battlefield"

These news reports don't mention reCaptcha explicitly, but it's been asking about a lot of cars lately. Whatever the source of the data that Google is using for this, it's disgusting that they're mining it from us without our knowledge or consent.

Google claims that "The technology flags images for human review, and is for non-offensive uses only". So, if a drone operator has a neural network that we all were tricked & coerced into training to identify cars and people helping to highlight them on their screen and center the crosshairs just right, and the neural network is not pressing the kill switch, is it being used for "non-offensive purposes only"?
Google has some legal advice that the AGPL source provision triggers much more often than it's commonly understood to. I encouraged them to make that legal reasoning public, so the community could address/debunk it, but I don't think they have. I won't go into details about it here, other than it seemed pretty bonkers.

Mixing in some AGPL code with an otherwise GPL codebase also seems sufficient to trigger Google's allergy. In the case of git-annex, it's possible to build all releases (until next month's) with a flag that prevents linking with any AGPL code, which should mean the resulting binary is GPL licensed, but Google still didn't feel able to use it, since the git-annex source tree includes AGPL files.

I don't know if Google's allergy to the AGPL extends to software used for drone murder applications, but in any case I look forward to preventing Google from using more of my software in the future.
每天生气

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #95 on: March 12, 2018, 08:34:16 PM »

:thinking

curly

• cultural maoist

shosta

« Reply #97 on: April 16, 2018, 03:40:46 PM »
In curly's pro-labor hell every loser would get a half hour piss break and paper towels in the bathroom. Not on my watch, buddy!
每天生气

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #98 on: April 16, 2018, 03:50:03 PM »
Watersports :mouf

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #99 on: April 16, 2018, 04:05:16 PM »
Bezos didn't get rich by paying his workers well. :money
©ZH

studyguy

pause

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #101 on: April 16, 2018, 08:16:04 PM »
How the hell did I miss this thread and not see the Marvel-Northrop Grumman comic?  :lol
^_^

Oblivion

« Reply #102 on: April 16, 2018, 10:19:22 PM »
I always wondered, how exactly do the people that shriek about the evil labor camps in the Soviet Union justify supporting sweatshops?

shosta

« Reply #103 on: April 16, 2018, 10:34:40 PM »
Typical liberal, trying to make sweating illegal.
每天生气

hampster

« Reply #104 on: April 17, 2018, 12:49:38 AM »
https://twitter.com/BigPaulieDoyle/status/985894906404229122
First paragraph: we’re not for or against war
Last paragraph: declare war
 ???
Zzz

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #105 on: April 17, 2018, 01:00:01 AM »
I always wondered, how exactly do the people that shriek about the evil labor camps in the Soviet Union justify supporting sweatshops?

Because the labour camps didnt make nikes

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #106 on: April 17, 2018, 01:50:25 AM »
Former members of Tesla’s environment, health and safety team told Reveal that Musk doesn’t like the color yellow, a common color used to tell factory workers to take caution in certain areas. Instead, lanes in the factory are reportedly color-coded in shades of gray—a claim Tesla denies.

Roger Croney, a former supervisor at the factory, told Reveal that Musk wanted everything to be red and gray. Musk also reportedly doesn’t like a lot of signs or the beeping sound forklifts make to indicate they are backing up.

https://gizmodo.com/tesla-whistleblowers-say-electric-carmaker-failed-to-re-1825292358

lmao

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #107 on: April 17, 2018, 02:54:34 PM »
Former members of Tesla’s environment, health and safety team told Reveal that Musk doesn’t like the color yellow

Elon Musk is Green Lantern?! :ohhh
dog

kingv

« Reply #108 on: April 17, 2018, 05:14:05 PM »
Tesla might legitimately go out of business.

It would take some time but it’s a real possibility that they have to liquidate.

This whole thing reminds me of a story I read about Steve Jobs running Nexxt computer (or however it was spelled).

The company was going out of business and he’s trying to figure exactly which Pantone shade of purple to trademark for the paint on the assembly line.

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #109 on: April 17, 2018, 09:39:44 PM »

kingv

« Reply #110 on: April 17, 2018, 09:46:43 PM »
It looks like someone scraped a dog shit off of the bottom of the shoe by dragging their feet then threw two slices of bread next to it.

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #111 on: April 19, 2018, 09:53:19 AM »

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #112 on: April 19, 2018, 12:08:03 PM »
Oregon Grew More Cannabis Than Customers Can Smoke. Now Shops and Farmers Are Left With Mountains of Unwanted Bud.

"We have standard grams on the shelf at $4," Alport says. "Before, we didn't see a gram below $8."

The scene at Bridge City Collective is playing out across the city and state. Three years into Oregon's era of recreational cannabis, the state is inundated with legal weed.

It turns out Oregonians are good at growing cannabis—too good.

In February, state officials announced that 1.1 million pounds of cannabis flower were logged in the state's database.

If a million pounds sounds like a lot of pot, that's because it is: Last year, Oregonians smoked, vaped or otherwise consumed just under 340,000 pounds of legal bud.

That means Oregon farmers have grown three times what their clientele can smoke in a year.

http://www.wweek.com/news/2018/04/18/oregon-grew-more-cannabis-than-customers-can-smoke-now-shops-and-farmers-are-left-with-mountains-of-unwanted-bud/

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #113 on: April 19, 2018, 01:32:55 PM »
Life comes at you fast.
©@©™

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #114 on: April 19, 2018, 02:30:04 PM »
send to me pls, ill handle it

jorma

« Reply #115 on: April 19, 2018, 03:55:20 PM »
Meanwhile in sweden some bigtime wholesaler must have been busted because prices are at 15 euros/gram on the dark web and the available strains are fewer than ever before.

Good thing i'm on a break from weed, because 15 euro/gram (and that's if you buy 10g) is fucking bullshit. #latestagenannystate

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #116 on: April 19, 2018, 04:35:30 PM »
send to me pls, ill handle it

I'd make the drive to buy some if I wasn't afraid of having to deal with the Feds on the way back.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #117 on: April 19, 2018, 05:38:59 PM »
Lol when it comes to flower, no reason to buy. Everyone knows someone who grows since it’s legal

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #118 on: April 21, 2018, 07:48:54 PM »

Oblivion

« Reply #119 on: April 21, 2018, 10:44:52 PM »
i can't breath (cause i have asthma and  no health insurance)

https://twitter.com/classiclib3ral/status/984159534963875840