Author Topic: Super Mario Odyssey thread of real 3D Mario is back.  (Read 60204 times)

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
Re: Super Mario Odyssey thread of real 3D Mario is back.
« Reply #420 on: October 29, 2017, 01:37:22 PM »
Also I have no problem with this game's difficulty. I'm an old man, I suck at 3D platformers, so this is a gift from Magical Miyamoto-sama
 :miyamoto

CurseoftheGods

• just hanging around, being shitty
« Reply #421 on: October 29, 2017, 02:02:12 PM »
people forget that kids play this too

Sho Nuff

« Reply #422 on: October 29, 2017, 02:05:27 PM »
people forget that kids play this too

PERHAPS THE SAME COULD BE SAID OF ALL VIDEOGAMES

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #423 on: October 29, 2017, 02:33:52 PM »
Beat the game, but still not done, which is awesome!  After you beat the game, you get to go to:

spoiler (click to show/hide)
The Mushroom Kingdom, which I see has stuff to collect.  I assume there's some levels here?

The dark side of the moon if you have 250 or more moons collected.  This leads to a rabbit boss rush tower.

There's a final "super hard" platforming challenge level that you can get to with X amount of moons collected.  I think it's 500.  You don't have to just find moons to get there and can now buy them from the shops. 

And then there's those big metal stones that are able to be busted open now.  Not sure what those do yet.
[close]

So at least a few more hours of game play left!  I'm not gonna try to get 999 moons, but it's nice to see that there's so much to do post-game for people who want to keep going.
ど助平

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #424 on: October 29, 2017, 03:48:20 PM »
They trigger new moons in old stages.

If you buy a moon from a shop in the list game, does it knock one off the map or are they extras?

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #425 on: October 29, 2017, 04:25:44 PM »
Pauline is bae af, why is Mario messing around with these other thots Peach and Rosalina?  :crazy
©@©™

Scrooged

« Reply #426 on: October 29, 2017, 04:26:23 PM »
Just got to the Luncheon Kingdom.  Such a blast to play.  Not sure if it's better than Galaxy tho. Also, this is probably the easiest Mario game yet.  But I'm okay with it knowing that the post game can get pretty tough.

Baiano19

« Reply #427 on: October 29, 2017, 04:43:46 PM »
I still can't believe Nintendo went full Sonic with the ending, and made it work.

« Reply #428 on: October 29, 2017, 04:49:19 PM »
In the first part of Cascade Kingdom, there's this 8bit looking yellow cat mario icon that comes fluttering out of a bush when you run thru it. What is that?

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #429 on: October 29, 2017, 05:01:39 PM »
There's a Cat Mario and Cat Peach in each world. If you touch them, Mario gives coins and Peach gives a heart

« Reply #430 on: October 29, 2017, 05:18:04 PM »
This is going to sound odd but for the life of me I can't grab the cat mario icon, it just flutters to the ground and disappears.

CurseoftheGods

« Reply #431 on: October 29, 2017, 06:49:33 PM »
this game is so good

Sho Nuff

« Reply #432 on: October 29, 2017, 07:35:25 PM »
I never want this game to end, it makes 3D Land look like the cheapest trash

Nintendo: Do you see how I'm marking out over this, THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU ACTUALLY APPLY YOURSELF

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #433 on: October 29, 2017, 07:45:25 PM »
Finished the "story" and put a few hours into the harder stuff. The ending sequence is so goofy and so fantastic. 10/10

This is top tier Mario as far as I'm concerned. I'd put it right up there with SMB3 and Galaxy 1 which are my two favorite in the series.

I didn't run into much challenge until the second part of Luncheon Kingdom. First half of the game overall is pretty laid back but they've done this with multiple Mario games already. I really don't have a problem with them stuffing the back half with the more challenging platformer stuff.  The rewards for collecting more moons have been pretty sweet so far. I just got the (LATE GAME OUTFIT SPOILER)
Diddy Kong outfit.  :gladbron  :checkit
[close]
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 07:53:51 PM by Let's Cyber »

Let's Cyber

« Reply #434 on: October 29, 2017, 07:56:49 PM »
I don't know if this is a spoiler or not but I'll put it in tags just in case.

I don't think this thing unlocks until you beat story but it's a fantastic feature and I have no idea why it isn't in Breath of the Wild
The music selector! What a fucking godsend! Being able to listen to your favorite tracks in any Kingdom you want is amazing and holy fuck this would make BotW so much better.
[close]

« Reply #435 on: October 29, 2017, 08:20:26 PM »
The camera in this game is a lot like Sunshine. Much freer than Galaxy's camera was although it still fights you when it wants to turn a certain way and you don't want it to.

« Reply #436 on: October 29, 2017, 08:27:06 PM »
That Cat Mario sprite that pops out of the bush in the very first part of Cascade Kingdom disappears after you get the first moon using the chomp nearby. Maybe it was a way to tell the player to keep an eye out for them  :doge

Rman

« Reply #437 on: October 29, 2017, 10:16:15 PM »
I like this game a lot, but 3D World is still great, brehs. I'll defend that game until die. 

« Reply #438 on: October 29, 2017, 10:37:25 PM »
The moons remind me of those nastyass banana Runts candy.

Tasty

« Reply #439 on: October 29, 2017, 11:09:13 PM »
I like this game a lot, but 3D World is still great, brehs. I'll defend that game until die. 

It's good but still the worst 3D Mario.

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #440 on: October 29, 2017, 11:44:23 PM »
Mario Sunshine is the only Mario game that straight up sucks

EmilioEstevez

« Reply #441 on: October 29, 2017, 11:46:21 PM »
The

dog
[close]

on the beach :heartbeat

« Reply #442 on: October 29, 2017, 11:53:16 PM »
How the hell did some of you burn through this game in three days since release? The dia de los muertos kingdom alone is yuge.

Sho Nuff

« Reply #443 on: October 30, 2017, 12:14:58 AM »
oh man the Luncheon Kingdom sorta looks like they did proxy art for it then just put a nice shader on it, I'm very confused by this stylistic choice

Let's Cyber

« Reply #444 on: October 30, 2017, 12:49:20 AM »
How the hell did some of you burn through this game in three days since release? The dia de los muertos kingdom alone is yuge.
Just getting through all the kingdoms doesn't take that much time. I didn't do a ton of exploration until after finishing the story.

I really doubt anyone here is close to running out of content.

CurseoftheGods

« Reply #445 on: October 30, 2017, 05:37:26 AM »

how do you think it makes 3D world look like? i would argue the same point

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #446 on: October 30, 2017, 11:02:10 AM »
Question: Playing through Galaxy 2 right now because I'm not quite ready to throw my money at a Switch. Game's later challenges are whoopin' my ass. Does Odyssey get challenging, or is it more about the joy of exploration? Mario needs to check at least one of those two boxes to really get me on the hook.
zzzzz

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #447 on: October 30, 2017, 11:08:44 AM »
Question: Playing through Galaxy 2 right now because I'm not quite ready to throw my money at a Switch. Game's later challenges are whoopin' my ass. Does Odyssey get challenging, or is it more about the joy of exploration? Mario needs to check at least one of those two boxes to really get me on the hook.

Odyssey is definitely easier than Galaxy 2, at least for the main campaign.  The later, post-game content I've heard is much more challenging.  But I think it's important to note that Odyssey is as difficult as you make it – as you're going through the game, if you choose to be ballsy and utilize more hardcore platforming skills, the game will reward you for your gamble.  So, while there may be a bunch of moons just out in the open that lets you continue on with the game, there is much more to find by challenging yourself to explore, make complicated jumps, and test your skills.

So I guess it's more the second thing that you asked.
püp

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #448 on: October 30, 2017, 11:14:20 AM »
That's cool. Sounds more 64 than Galaxy, which I'm totally down with.
zzzzz

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #449 on: October 30, 2017, 11:42:41 AM »
That's cool. Sounds more 64 than Galaxy, which I'm totally down with.

Honestly Odyssey plays much more like the combination of each game's best qualities.  It feels like its own kind of game.
püp

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #450 on: October 30, 2017, 12:00:36 PM »
I fell off the side of a level and instead of dying, I ended up in a pit where I got chased by T-Rex wearing a hat. 11.8/10
©@©™

H.I.V.E.

« Reply #451 on: October 30, 2017, 12:04:06 PM »
I fell off the side of a level and instead of dying, I ended up in a pit where I got chased by T-Rex wearing a hat. 11.8/10

Lol played that bit yesterday. First pissed I fell and expecting respawn then wtf Didn't see it for some time just the sound and atmosphere kept thinking it sounds like I'm at Jurassic park then minding my own business I see it. Hide behind a rock. Thing starts smelling me and run and I get chased into a pipe.

Loving it.

Sho Nuff

« Reply #452 on: October 30, 2017, 12:22:56 PM »

how do you think it makes 3D world look like? i would argue the same point

Same thing. Which blows my mind because the director/team is the same as 3D Land/World. I guess the difference is this time they actually gave them a budget and permission to go apeshit

kingv

« Reply #453 on: October 30, 2017, 12:49:40 PM »
3D World (and I think land, but never played it) in my mind are really a different type of mario game. 3D world is still ultimately about finishing the level. It’s not about exploration or collecting moons/stars. Iirc there is a dumb gate near the end that requires you to have a certain number of some type of collectible, but in my mind 3D world was more of a “what if we made a 3D mario with the progression of a 2D one”. And odyssey is like “let’s make a sequel to galaxy/64/sunshine.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #454 on: October 30, 2017, 04:43:43 PM »
3D World (and I think land, but never played it) in my mind are really a different type of mario game. 3D world is still ultimately about finishing the level. It’s not about exploration or collecting moons/stars. Iirc there is a dumb gate near the end that requires you to have a certain number of some type of collectible, but in my mind 3D world was more of a “what if we made a 3D mario with the progression of a 2D one”. And odyssey is like “let’s make a sequel to galaxy/64/sunshine.

Odyssey is like eating prime rib.  3D Land/World is like getting blasted in the face by tubgirl.  Different things but one is obviously better than the other
🍆🍆

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #455 on: October 30, 2017, 04:46:25 PM »
3D World was like Galaxy but without the room to get really nutty because everything had to be playable by 4 simultaneous players.
zzzzz

« Reply #456 on: October 30, 2017, 06:09:56 PM »
Mario Sunshine is the only Mario game that straight up sucks

fite me

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #457 on: October 30, 2017, 06:35:06 PM »
Just made it past New Donk to the ice world... my big issue with Odyssey so far is that it seems like they didn't really let the ideas marinate much, they just constantly throw new things at you instead of introducing a mechanic, expanding on it, and increasing the challenge as you come to terms with the mechanic.
^_^

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #458 on: October 30, 2017, 06:36:19 PM »
I have like 450 moons and none of them have been hard so far. The "post game" is more moons just like the old ones in the old levels, not big challenges. Still need like 50 more to get the final kingdom though.

Still enjoying it though.

Trurl

« Reply #459 on: October 30, 2017, 07:42:30 PM »
Just made it past New Donk to the ice world... my big issue with Odyssey so far is that it seems like they didn't really let the ideas marinate much, they just constantly throw new things at you instead of introducing a mechanic, expanding on it, and increasing the challenge as you come to terms with the mechanic.
Great point.  Any Mario game that is too easy suffers from this.  Way back when the first NSMB came out I thought that it had some really creative concepts in its level design, but it did fuck all with them because they wanted babies to be able to play.  The problem is less severe in Odyssey, or perhaps I'm just an old man who is happy with stuff being easy.

My number one complaint about Odyssey is even though collecting moons is fun, it feels meaningless compared to objectives in past 3D Marios.  It used to be that every star took some sustained effort to collect and most of them were even part of some little story.  Moons are mostly things that you bump into which gives you a bit of excitement and keep you playing.  It's design for the tiny and fractured attention spans of 2017.

Still love the game and it makes me want revisit Mario's entire platforming catalog

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #460 on: October 30, 2017, 07:49:56 PM »
I'm not sure I agree – I think those objectives you talk about are still there – they're just disguised under the 3 moon objectives as opposed to gaining singular moons.  Does that make sense?
püp

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #461 on: October 30, 2017, 09:40:38 PM »
I think some moons are big events and some are small. As long as there are more than like 7 good ones per kingdom that's still better than SM64. And it only takes like 2 per kingdom to top Sunshine.

NSMB was harder than this. And the more recent games in both 3D and 2D all had pretty hard levels at the end. This doesn't seem to.

Still having fun though.

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #462 on: October 30, 2017, 09:44:34 PM »
It also sucks that you can't tell if you got a moon already unless you complete its task. So sparkling birds, spots on the floor, etc still sparkle yellow even if they produce a dull moon. Coming back to this game in a month or even trying to 100% it now seems like it'd be a pain in the ass for that reason. In SM64/SMS it was very clear what you had left to do.

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #463 on: October 30, 2017, 11:16:30 PM »
I played a while with a friend yesterday who was near completion. It was fun enough, but feels much more like a game i need to sink my teeth into to understand what's up vs Galaxy 1/2 where you could jam a level any time and have a blast. Going back to try complete an area and get new moons, I found that same issue of completing objectives for dull moons and not being able to tell the diff, or really have any idea what the fk i was supposed to be doing.
◕‿◕

Scrooged

« Reply #464 on: October 31, 2017, 12:17:00 AM »

Like with the previous Mario games (3D World/Land, Galaxies) you get most of the tougher challenges post game.  The main story line of Bowser's wedding is basically the tutorial for the game mechanics.  And while it is easy as hell, it's also fun as hell.  The sheer number of puzzle and platforming mechanics allows them to extend out the easy part of the game, allowing small children and casual players to 'finish' the game.  For anyone else that wants more of a challenge, there's a ton of content waiting at the end.

Kalnos

« Reply #465 on: October 31, 2017, 01:01:23 AM »
Fuck that 100 jump rope thing, my hand was hurting after doing it for a while.  I don't know why I suck at that kinda shit.

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #466 on: October 31, 2017, 07:02:26 AM »

Like with the previous Mario games (3D World/Land, Galaxies) you get most of the tougher challenges post game.  The main story line of Bowser's wedding is basically the tutorial for the game mechanics.  And while it is easy as hell, it's also fun as hell.  The sheer number of puzzle and platforming mechanics allows them to extend out the easy part of the game, allowing small children and casual players to 'finish' the game.  For anyone else that wants more of a challenge, there's a ton of content waiting at the end.

Where is this challenge? I've gotten 200 moons after beating the game and most of them are still pounding the ground and jumping at trees in old levels. There are new pipe challenge rooms but they don't seem more difficult than the old ones either.

Let's Cyber

« Reply #467 on: October 31, 2017, 08:38:32 AM »
The post-game unlockable worlds and the platinum pipes levels are the "challenge" people are referring too.

Whether or not you find them difficult is another thing entirely. 

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #468 on: October 31, 2017, 09:35:36 AM »
I just don't see how it is harder. 90% of the new moons are exactly the same sort of things you've done already, just in new positions.

There are maybe 2-3 new pipes per world that I don't think set out to be any harder than most of the normal ones. I haven't gone to two of the three new areas, but I don't think the large-scale style of environments in this game are going to produce the high intensity challenge of the postgame in the last half a dozen Mario games. The first of the three new areas is not hard at all.

It's definitely more stuff, and it's fun, but it's weird to see it called challenging when the designers don't really seem to be trying to make it a hard shift. Especially since the designers totally DID do that in the last few games, so people who have played those will have the wrong expectation.

Unless those last two worlds really blow the doors off things. I've been picking through the old worlds in order first.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #469 on: October 31, 2017, 10:32:08 AM »
I just played a really hard 2d bit right after the main story ended  :doge
püp

Let's Cyber

« Reply #470 on: October 31, 2017, 10:35:20 AM »
I just don't see how it is harder. 90% of the new moons are exactly the same sort of things you've done already, just in new positions.
You're right, there are a bunch of new moons added to the levels. But no one is claiming all new scattered moons are challenging.

I don't know what platinum pipe levels you've completed, but they're definitely the analog to the F.L.U.D.D.-less platforming levels of Sunshine or the end-game Galaxy 1 type platforming stuff. When I say the harder levels, that is what I'm and I am assuming others are referring too.

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #471 on: October 31, 2017, 11:03:36 AM »
I just did one of those in the snow level that was just running along a flower path jumping over some super easy spinning spikes and then dodging some basic ass bullet bills. Jump to the left once for a secret moon. I think I've done all of them in the prior levels.

I don't think I've seen one yet that's as hard as even some of the main game ones from SMG, or even the last boss of the 3D series. They honestly don't seem especially harder than the green pipes from the first pass, for a more comparable example. Throughout the game I felt like they were easier versions of the fludd-less concept.

I was hoping they'd ramp up the need to use their mechanics in the post game but so far it's more of the same. Which I do like. But I was hoping to see the mechanics tested more since they are so good.

I will say that I can't figure out
how to get on top of the castle
[close]
but I have a feeling that's more about exploring than platforming acumen.

Let's Cyber

« Reply #472 on: October 31, 2017, 11:28:33 AM »
I haven't completed that specific snow level so I can't comment. Point is, those new pipes are this game's equivalent to Sunshine's FLUDD-less levels or purple coin challenges in Galaxy. They're the hardest levels in THIS game. Is Odyssey overall easier than past 3D games? Probably. Much easier than Galaxy 2. It's been awhile since I beat Galaxy 1 but I remember the purple coins at the end of that game weren't crazy difficult.

In terms of the last 3 worlds
the Mushroom Kingdom doors have buffed up versions of the bosses. It also has, at least so far, the hardest 2D level in the game. The Dark side of the moon is a boss rush mode which I still haven't beat. You only get one life. Getting 500 moons unlocks the last level and it is a worthy challenge comparable to harder levels of any other 3D Mario level, based on my 8-10 attempts. Again, you have to get through with only one life. Still haven't beaten it.
[close]

Himu

« Reply #473 on: October 31, 2017, 04:42:45 PM »
So my concerns pre-release. Legit it seems.

IYKYK

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #474 on: October 31, 2017, 04:45:10 PM »
oh, welcome back to the thread  ::)
püp

Himu

« Reply #475 on: October 31, 2017, 04:47:15 PM »
Apparently the game ups the challenge in the post-game. Sounds like a standard modern Mario with a boring regular game and a better post-game. So basically a 3d Land situation. It's nice to see people who said my concerns were baseless eat nice, fat crow.

Vindicated.
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #476 on: October 31, 2017, 05:03:18 PM »
That description fits imo. A big part of the reason I love this Mario so much more than others is that it rewards you for bending its rules, much like BOTW did. If you have the execution to skip a big part of a platforming section (or whatever is in the way) not only will it let you but it will usually give you something as a bonus for doing it (coins, heart, whatever). I'm a big fan of that over invisible walls or some nonsense to force you to follow a specific path.

In addition it does have some cool setpieces, some pretty decent difficulty during the main game, plenty of difficult post-game, and is really just a fun and unique take on Mario. Easily the best one since Galaxy and in some ways my favorite in the series now.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 05:07:40 PM by nachobro »

Himu

« Reply #477 on: October 31, 2017, 05:07:57 PM »
Someone post a video a of an example of Mario Odyssey's harder platforming bits, please.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #478 on: October 31, 2017, 05:09:19 PM »
So is this 1:1 to SM3DL where the real game starts in the post-game and the regular game is for casuals? No spoilers please. And by spoilers I mean "this is a creative stage you have to see yourself" spoiler.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 05:13:43 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #479 on: October 31, 2017, 05:16:14 PM »
So is this 1:1 to SM3DL where the real game starts in the post-game and the regular game is for casuals?
I'd say the last third of the game is where the difficulty ramps up a bit (Luncheon Kingdom and after) for the mainline game but also depending on how deep you wanna go with moon collection, you can get into some tougher parts early. If you just collect the minimum amount of moons needed to beat the game, no it isn't difficult at all really. IIRC the minimum amount of moons to beat the game is 124 but there's like 860 some total? You CAN beat it without any challenge, but the challenge is there if you want it.

Also post-game content spoiler of the harder platforming stuff

This is in the Darker Side world, need 500 moons to unlock it and there are no checkpoints for this entire sequence. It's pretty tough
[close]