Author Topic: Sonic Mania PLUS ~ First Good SANIC In Decades  (Read 27458 times)

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
Re: Sonic Mania ~ First Good SANIC In Decades
« Reply #180 on: September 10, 2017, 03:05:01 PM »
I barely made it the first time but did them in like 4 minutes each the second

Tasty

« Reply #181 on: September 17, 2017, 05:24:42 PM »
Must have beaten the main game 20-30 times at this point. Have about 70 hours clocked in for a short 2D platformer.

Holy shit, bro...

Tasty

« Reply #182 on: September 17, 2017, 05:29:31 PM »
I can imagine this game being amazing with weed.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #183 on: September 17, 2017, 05:48:33 PM »
haven't gone back to it yet since i've been playing yakuza, but without spoiling much are there any extras? thinking of how sonic cd had a bunch of weird random unlockables. or is it just "here's the game, and you can get regular and special endings with each of the characters"?
pcp

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
Re: Sonic Mania thread
« Reply #184 on: September 19, 2017, 10:04:38 PM »
nat

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #185 on: September 19, 2017, 11:42:11 PM »
I NEED this on a handheld though

Tasty

« Reply #186 on: September 19, 2017, 11:56:17 PM »

Switch breh

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #187 on: September 20, 2017, 12:33:41 AM »

Switch breh

Can't justify buying one at this time. If they put this on Vita and maintain 60fps, I'll drop $20 again in a heartbeat

Tasty

« Reply #188 on: September 20, 2017, 09:36:07 AM »
Yeah Sega needs to patch that, also not sure how the heck that made it through Nintendo's QA.

Bebpo

« Reply #189 on: September 29, 2017, 02:37:27 AM »
Switch port is pretty nice, especially controlling in portable mode on the couch.

The only problem with it is that the home & power buttons won't register 90% of the time, you have to keep pressing it until it works. Not that big of a deal, but it seems it's the same case for everyone.

Cool, was gonna ask. Not super interested in this game, but all the good word of mouth + portable good sonic is tempting.

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #190 on: September 29, 2017, 09:42:24 AM »
They patched it on switch btw

Tasty

« Reply #191 on: September 29, 2017, 11:21:15 AM »
They patched it on switch btw

Wasn't applied last night on mine at least, I had to fucking mash the Home button for like two minutes when trying to change over to Mario Kart. Egg on my face. :fbm

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #192 on: October 21, 2017, 01:42:37 AM »

~6:40 for Sonic 2006 remake

but why ???

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #193 on: October 21, 2017, 09:32:01 AM »
i didn't watch a bunch of that as i skipped to the 2006 part, but it looks kinda like it has no shading or very little, so it has this strange clinical look to it...compared to the indie games shown they all have shading and lighting worked into the sprite art

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #194 on: October 21, 2017, 09:44:13 AM »
Looks like some shit you'd find buried in a mobile app store or a Newgrounds game or some shit. Looks like ass

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #195 on: October 21, 2017, 10:28:16 AM »
Looks like something that Sega would make.
dog

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #196 on: October 21, 2017, 12:23:13 PM »
I've seen more than few kids complaining that sonic mania doesn't look like that sonic 2 hd and I want to hit them all
pcp

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #197 on: October 21, 2017, 12:24:31 PM »
I've seen more than few kids complaining that sonic mania doesn't look like that sonic 2 hd and I want to hit them all

:holeup :jeanluc :hhh

Hock

« Reply #198 on: October 21, 2017, 02:53:35 PM »
Its a bit too clean and smooth, even modern 2d games like Ori or the Rayman games don't look so overpolished. Its weird though I remember seeing this years ago and thinking it looked fine, I guess Mania changed expectations on what I want out of new 2d Sonic.

CurseoftheGods

• just hanging around, being shitty
« Reply #199 on: October 28, 2017, 12:18:05 PM »
this is one of my GOTY's for 2017

so good

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #200 on: October 28, 2017, 12:31:16 PM »
yup there's so much good stuff out this year that we can barely keep up, but even still a riff on a 25 year old series is amazing enough to stand out among everything else.
pcp

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #201 on: October 28, 2017, 12:54:11 PM »
I liked unleashed and generations. It's hard to figure out if forces is bad or if it's bad to people who didn't like those games either.

« Reply #202 on: October 28, 2017, 02:28:03 PM »
Forces is looking like a hot mess

But as someone who grew up with Sonic I feel obliged to play, even if only to complain about it and get depressed about the state of this series

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #203 on: October 28, 2017, 02:50:00 PM »
Do people actually enjoy any of the 3D games? The gotta go fast thing don't work in a 3D platformer.

Himu

« Reply #204 on: October 28, 2017, 02:59:50 PM »
hopefully this will clue sega in to put sonic team off of sonic and give it to rgg team who hopefully still has smilebit staff
IYKYK

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #205 on: October 28, 2017, 03:04:51 PM »
hopefully this will clue sega in to put sonic team off of sonic and give it to rgg team who hopefully still has smilebit staff

I'd rather have a new Jet Set Radio if there's still Smilebit people around.

paprikastaude

« Reply #206 on: October 28, 2017, 03:06:35 PM »
Waiting for this to go on sale  :goty2

Meanwhile, Forces looks like a disaster. They've had it with Colour and Generations, yet Sonic Team can't even properly copy those anymore. Instead, Forces looks like Fanfiction: The game.

« Reply #207 on: October 28, 2017, 03:16:32 PM »
Adventure 2 is still decent after all these years, though going back to Adventure 1 and Heroes was painful. I also replayed Generations recently, and even that is still not that good despite people praising it as the one of the best 3D games.

I seriously doubt that. Sonic Team refuses to look back and learn from past titles, while Sega is pretty much spending the minimal amount of money on these things and putting out unpolished games that sell on brand recognition alone. I agree they should hand it to someone like Nintendo, but at this point we'll be lucky to get a Mania 2.

Tasty

« Reply #208 on: October 28, 2017, 03:21:16 PM »
I liked Unleashed (daytime) and Colors. They're not really "platformers" so much as score-attack single-player racing games, which can be pretty fun IMO.

paprikastaude

« Reply #209 on: October 28, 2017, 03:26:46 PM »
I liked Unleashed (daytime) and Colors. They're not really "platformers" so much as score-attack single-player racing games, which can be pretty fun IMO.

That describes Sonic Rush pretty well too, which I also like.

Himu

« Reply #210 on: October 28, 2017, 03:27:28 PM »

I'd rather have a new Jet Set Radio if there's still Smilebit people around.

It could be both. I always said JSRF would function excellent as a Sonic game. It would play like Jet Set but still be Sonic and both camps are happy.
IYKYK

« Reply #211 on: October 28, 2017, 03:28:21 PM »
I haven't played Colors but I remember liking Unleashed day stages, and they were also the better half of Generations. Had Sonic Team kept going in that direction by making the polished racing game they were going for, one you actually have to make the turns like a proper racing games and without too much reliance on boost, it would be great I think. Instead we had another gameplay reboot, and then they went back to making multiple playstyles that don't work properly again.

paprikastaude

« Reply #212 on: October 28, 2017, 03:30:30 PM »
People act like Adventure 2 has aged so poorly, but even back in the day everyone knew that everything but Sonic/Shadow stages (and chao garden) was trash.

CurseoftheGods

« Reply #213 on: October 28, 2017, 03:35:48 PM »
sonic forces  :zzz

call me when mania 2 is announced

« Reply #214 on: October 28, 2017, 03:48:57 PM »
Worst case scenario they can always make a sort of Sonic clone like Freedom Planet.

Or make their own game, that would be cool too.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #215 on: October 28, 2017, 04:33:47 PM »
People act like Adventure 2 has aged so poorly, but even back in the day everyone knew that everything but Sonic/Shadow stages (and chao garden) was trash.

The sonic levels were an improvement over sa1 but still not very good. all the other levels complete trash and were panned in reviews. 3d sonic has always been crap, not just bad but barely playable.it's kind of amazing just how long they've managed to make such sloppy games. 
pcp

« Reply #216 on: October 29, 2017, 02:35:14 PM »
Sonic Forces ending leaked

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

Tasty

« Reply #217 on: November 18, 2017, 01:20:41 PM »
Picked this back up and I'm kinda souring on it. Was just figuring out a boss when I got timed-out (again.)

What's the point of encouraging exploration if you die after a set period of time for no reason? Mario 64 doesn't have a timer for this reason.

Also the lives system is as dumb as ever.

Maybe I didn't pick up on all when I was playing before because I was digging the aesthetics and solid-ish platforming, but there's so many contrary design decisions here (that stem almost entirely to being a slave to the Genesis games.) This game needed to take some more risks with the formula.

Sorry Wrath.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #218 on: November 18, 2017, 01:28:43 PM »
game still owns and stands out as one of the best in an amazing year sorry haters
pcp

Tasty

« Reply #219 on: November 18, 2017, 02:35:17 PM »
I'm not a hater I just find some of the design baffling or backwards. It's still an enjoyable game overall but it could be better.

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #220 on: November 19, 2017, 07:39:50 AM »
Plenty of games have lives and timers, particularly Mario games

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #221 on: November 19, 2017, 08:30:03 AM »
Double dipped on pc

aww yea
What

Tasty

« Reply #222 on: November 19, 2017, 12:02:04 PM »

Those usually count down though.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #223 on: November 19, 2017, 12:05:37 PM »
Picked this back up and I'm kinda souring on it. Was just figuring out a boss when I got timed-out (again.)

What's the point of encouraging exploration if you die after a set period of time for no reason?

:confused What Sonic has ever needed exploring? Outside of Sonic 3's "barrel of doom" there's never really been anything that stops you from going "PRESS RIGHT TO WIN" through the levels.

CurseoftheGods

« Reply #224 on: November 19, 2017, 12:43:31 PM »
sonic mania is one of the best examples of retro gaming at its finest, imho

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #225 on: November 19, 2017, 01:15:56 PM »
Yeah exploration LOL if you are playing a lvl for more than a few minutes youre doing it wrong sucka!

Also Tee Lopes has inspired me to start learning FL Studio

What

CurseoftheGods

« Reply #226 on: November 19, 2017, 01:19:59 PM »
the music in this game in this game is insanely good

i get what you're getting at mmarsu

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #227 on: November 19, 2017, 02:46:57 PM »

Those usually count down though.

What's the difference? Pretend it's counting down from 10 minutes. Outside of the last zone you should be able to do every act in half that time.

You don't need to explore every path. Just get to the end and try another path next time.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #228 on: November 19, 2017, 03:18:14 PM »
Yeah exploration LOL if you are playing a lvl for more than a few minutes youre doing it wrong sucka!

Also Tee Lopes has inspired me to start learning FL Studio

man, I've heard of people who exclusively click in notes into the piano roll instead of using a controller, but actually seeing in action is driving me nuts

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #229 on: November 30, 2017, 06:28:06 PM »
Sonic Mania 2 confirmed?
What

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #230 on: November 30, 2017, 07:59:44 PM »
Sega: "We were very surprised to find that good, quality Sonic games actually sell really well."
 :ohhh
ど助平

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #231 on: December 01, 2017, 11:17:33 AM »
Sega: "We were very surprised to find that good, quality Sonic games actually sell really well."
 :ohhh

But it didn't even have Rouge the Bat's titties in it, which market research has shown is 50% of the reason that modern Sonic fans buy Sonic games.
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #232 on: January 06, 2018, 01:00:26 AM »
Oh my god fuck the plasma balls in Titanic Monarch Zone. Goddamn what a shitty mechanic. Who let this get through? It's like the mine cart in Sonic 4, but at least they cut that shit in the actual final version.

And doubly fuck the stupid time limit, but I've already harped on that before.

« Reply #233 on: January 06, 2018, 10:04:57 AM »
I see people complaining about this all the time. Never had much problem with them despite never getting anywhere in th 3&K special stages. Anyway just spin around to position yourself and jump off when you're right in the middle to go farther

But yeah time limit is dumb. I get time out'd every single time I'm fighting the Flying Battery boss. They figured it would be a good idea to let the player turn it off back at Sonic Advance so I dunno what happened here

Tasty

« Reply #234 on: January 06, 2018, 11:31:09 AM »
I mean I fully understand the mechanic and have gotten pretty good at it, but even if it only takes you just one "loop" around the ball to orient Sonic the direction you want, there's still like 30-60 of these fuckers you have to jump on across both Acts. They slow the game down just way too much on their own even if you're the best at Sonic Mania evar - and that's the best-case scenario. More often it'll take 3-4 loops to get the direction you want, and the plasma balls themselves often move or there's some other obstacle you need to wait out before progressing, which multiplies the amount of loops needed when you miss that window.

I feel like the absolute lower-bound on Act 1 is like, 6 minutes. More realistically it's like 8-9 for most normal players, which is cutting it *way* too close IMO. Unless there's a secret route to bypass these stupid things entirely. Then again, you're fucked if you go exploring for such a route because of how long the stage is and how little time you're given to do it anyways.

« Reply #235 on: January 06, 2018, 05:44:19 PM »
They slow the game down just way too much on their own

Understandable but they're still nowhere near as bad as the goddamn bubbles in Hidrocity

Tasty

« Reply #236 on: January 07, 2018, 03:16:22 AM »
Something else that annoys me is the one-hit kills when stuck between two moving items. In Mario, in 99% of cases, this would just damage you and bounce you back. There's some areas in World where it's easier to die this way but it's still pretty rare.

In this game it feels like there's more of these objects rubbing against each other in levels, and in addition to that Sonic's physics don't make it easy to maneuver around these obstacles. When you encounter these hazards, you're usually at a standstill as you make your way through it. Jump on one, wait for the next one, etc. And to be frank, controlling Sonic sucks most coming out of a dead stop. The point is you're punished for a lack of momentum, but this makes precision platforming mostly a chore.

My two thoughts. Haven't been able to crystalize why I never cared for Sonic until now. Mania is easily the best of the ones I've played, but the core mechanics just don't work for me. Maybe that Mario/Mega Man/Castlevania muscle memory runs too deep.

« Reply #237 on: January 07, 2018, 01:32:27 PM »
I think the one place I've been constantly hit by this is Titanic Monarch, at one point you have to up some elevator thing and I forget I have to be careful around it every time I get there.

That said, the thing that really annoys me is the little delays after using Knuckles's fly ability. Ideally you'd be able to keep momentum when you start to fly, though I can forgive that; what I can't stand is that you get slowed down to a halt every time you hit the ground after flying, either by ducking or sliding in the ground. Even if I've always preferred playing as Sonic over Knuckles in the old games, they made this delay even worse by not allowing you to jump cancel either of them

I understand Knuckles is supposed to be slower, but this is just downright annoying. He already jumps lower and lacks the drop dash, so I figure this is unnecessary. Maybe put a lower speed cap on him instead, I don't know.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #238 on: January 08, 2018, 01:54:59 PM »
©@©™

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #239 on: January 08, 2018, 02:33:46 PM »
the longest recorded lifespan for a captive echidna is 50 years, with anecdotal accounts of wild individuals reaching 45 years.

There's hope.