Author Topic: The Other Forums Thread for 90's Kids ONLY  (Read 2174765 times)

Boredfrom

Re: The Other Forums Gentlemen's Thread for Refined Discussion of Uncouth Behavior
« Reply #11040 on: January 19, 2018, 03:55:54 PM »
Benji, they are perfectly capable of separating others from collective groups as long is something they like or are part of it.

Speaking of that:

You can describe a good chunk of the racists out there like this, honestly. Never rampant, but somehow remaining uneducated and uninformed no matter how many people try to educate or inform them and with no ambition to improve.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
Re: The Other Forums Gentlemen's Thread for Refined Discussion of Uncouth Behavior
« Reply #11041 on: January 19, 2018, 03:56:45 PM »
God of War > Killzone 2 though.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #11042 on: January 19, 2018, 03:57:28 PM »
Benji, they are perfectly capable of separating others from collective groups as long is something they like or are part of it.

Speaking of that:

You can describe a good chunk of the racists out there like this, honestly. Never rampant, but somehow remaining uneducated and uninformed no matter how many people try to educate or inform them and with no ambition to improve.

no matter how many people try to educate or inform them and with no ambition to improve

Every time this concept is brought up there are 50 people chiming in to say they would never even attempt to try with these people.

And every post with nice stories about the people who DO sit down with them and listen to them and manage to help change their thinking gets booed and downplayed and locked because apparently ain't nobody got time for that.
Uncle

Boredfrom

« Reply #11043 on: January 19, 2018, 03:58:26 PM »
I actually want you to discuss and break down the platitude of “we should listen to both sides”. It’s easy to say that and then just walk away. This is a specific thread and you specifically said left leaning people had something to learn from these letters. So I’m asking you what is it that I need to learn here that I didn’t know before. It’s a simple question that you should have an answer for if you have a valid point.

Pon asking for a mind reader.

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #11044 on: January 19, 2018, 04:01:17 PM »
I literally cancelled my NYT subscription over this.

The constant stream of "let's hear from the same pool of Trump voters" articles is tiring, but it's especially galling when there hasn't been a single such profile on Ralph Northam voters, Doug Jones voters, black women voters -- literally any kind of voter other than 2016 Donald Trump voters. The disproportionate spotlight on them isn't just bad reporting, it's fetishistic, and I'm beyond exhausted of it.
:lol :lol :lol

Excelsiorlef has reached her true form. Although maybe I am underestimating her. Maybe she is just getting started.

She won't be able to achieve her final form until she gets her US citizenship.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #11045 on: January 19, 2018, 04:03:04 PM »
I never understood why gaf/era started to get angry at the God of War games. Have they read Greek Mythology? (< Is this one of those questionable question marks?)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #11046 on: January 19, 2018, 04:04:09 PM »
YOu are all RacIsTS!1
https://www.resetera.com/threads/house-passes-short-term-spending-bill-setting-up-shutdown-battle-in-senate.17419/page-4#post-3505607

Actually misterASSUMING GENDERS?, that is not true
https://www.resetera.com/threads/house-passes-short-term-spending-bill-setting-up-shutdown-battle-in-senate.17419/page-4#post-3505707

But that's ok, you can just call everybody racist, because you are a racist and you are a racist, Racists for everybody Oprah 2020
🤴

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018

Tasty

« Reply #11048 on: January 19, 2018, 04:05:20 PM »
Huelen's ban for the Sonic green eyes thing wasn't even about what color eyes he should have. I think people have muddied the waters there.

The discussion started there because Sonic 4 was being hyped as a sequel to Sonic 3&K, but for all intents and purposes was a hastily thrown-together piece of shit using the Rush engine. Sonic Mania handled this entire situation in the correct way for the record, sprites are awesome, the classic Sonic character designs are great, and Sonic 4 looked more plasticky than New Super Mario Bros. (which is saying something.)

What netted Huelen the ban was completely missing the point of the convo and took it upon themself to prove that Sonic in Sonic 4 had green eyes. When... that was never in question. The image "proving" this was bordering on creepy and had no relevance to the actual conversation at the time, thus permaban.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #11049 on: January 19, 2018, 04:07:40 PM »
I never understood why gaf/era started to get angry at the God of War games. Have they read Greek Mythology? (< Is this one of those questionable question marks?)
My feeling was that it was more about David Jaffe being a potty mouth than it had to do with the games.
Also these are the sort of people that want to tear down statues. Greek Mythology is probably highly sexist, toxic and nazi. Especially nazi.
🤴

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #11050 on: January 19, 2018, 04:07:46 PM »
But HUELEN came back to help the Russians defeat Hillary...

And the fact that you know so much about this Sonic Affair raises many questions as well...

Tasty

« Reply #11051 on: January 19, 2018, 04:09:16 PM »
But HUELEN came back to help the Russians defeat Hillary...

And the fact that you know so much about this Sonic Affair raises many questions as well...

I was holding out hope Sonic 4 would be good and was hanging around in the threads at the time. Actually, the Sonic Unleashed leak is what got me to join GAF, despite me not ever really being much of a Sonic fan.

Boredfrom

« Reply #11052 on: January 19, 2018, 04:10:31 PM »
My feeling was that it was more about David Jaffe being a potty mouth than it had to do with the games.
Also these are the sort of people that want to tear down statues. Greek Mythology is probably highly sexist, toxic and nazi. Especially nazi.

Nah, that is Isis. ResGaf will just bitch about problematic paintings in museums.

benjipwns

« Reply #11053 on: January 19, 2018, 04:10:57 PM »
I was holding out hope Sonic 4 would be good and was hanging around in the threads at the time. Actually, the Sonic Unleashed leak is what got me to join GAF, despite me not ever really being much of a Sonic fan.
don't admit that

that's like when we found out you were gay just because wraith has been peer pressuring you into it for his enjoyment

Tasty

« Reply #11054 on: January 19, 2018, 04:11:49 PM »
Actually I think what prompted Huelen's "investigation" was a bunch of us clowning around and swearing that his eyes were blue or black or some shit in screenshots. So we got proven wrong there, I guess...?

Either way Huelen misread something major.

Tasty

« Reply #11055 on: January 19, 2018, 04:12:15 PM »
don't admit that

that's like when we found out you were gay just because wraith has been peer pressuring you into it for his enjoyment

Wrath's pressure :noah

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #11056 on: January 19, 2018, 04:15:48 PM »
Greek Mythology is probably highly sexist, toxic and nazi. Especially nazi.

The story of Procne is about her sister getting raped by her husband. She then kills their own kid and feeds him to her husband at a feast.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #11057 on: January 19, 2018, 04:23:28 PM »
Greek Mythology is probably highly sexist, toxic and nazi. Especially nazi.

The story of Procne is about her sister getting raped by her husband. She then kills their own kid and feeds him to her husband at a feast.
So basically just another Tuesday night in Hollywood.
🤴

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #11058 on: January 19, 2018, 04:23:38 PM »
How do you people remember posts from years ago?

:dayum

benjipwns

« Reply #11059 on: January 19, 2018, 04:24:45 PM »
when i bought god of war ii both me and my roommate got carded and i made a joke wondering if i'd get carded buying some greek mythology books

that's why ever since i've boycotted letting wal-mart employees hear my best material anymore

actually you probably would have gotten carded for buying 300 on DVD i suspect, (speaking of which i saw Frank Miller is going to write some prequels to this, nobody has lost the plot about why his stuff ever worked like Frank Miller)

Clockwork5

« Reply #11060 on: January 19, 2018, 04:26:00 PM »
Hate net neutrality.

Can't wait to throw $5 per month at a message board.

:idont

Himu

« Reply #11061 on: January 19, 2018, 04:29:01 PM »
I literally cancelled my NYT subscription over this.

The constant stream of "let's hear from the same pool of Trump voters" articles is tiring, but it's especially galling when there hasn't been a single such profile on Ralph Northam voters, Doug Jones voters, black women voters -- literally any kind of voter other than 2016 Donald Trump voters. The disproportionate spotlight on them isn't just bad reporting, it's fetishistic, and I'm beyond exhausted of it.
:lol :lol :lol

Excelsiorlef has reached her true form. Although maybe I am underestimating her. Maybe she is just getting started.

She won't be able to achieve her final form until she gets her US citizenship.

Just extended my NYT subscription to a year.

IYKYK

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #11062 on: January 19, 2018, 04:30:22 PM »
actually you probably would have gotten carded for buying 300 on DVD i suspect, (speaking of which i saw Frank Miller is going to write some prequels to this, nobody has lost the plot about why his stuff ever worked like Frank Miller)

299?

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #11063 on: January 19, 2018, 04:32:50 PM »

[img]https://i.imgur.com/7MrHhhA.jpg[img]

Is this what you needed that christmas miracle for?

benjipwns

« Reply #11064 on: January 19, 2018, 04:34:55 PM »
speaking of 300, that had quite the kerfluffle back in the day

it was racist towards muslims, and persians, and homophobic towards persians
it was an allegory for supporting the Iraq War which known neoconservative Zach Snyder was pushing on everyone
it was unrealistic (no really?) and was not based in all known historical facts

yet rarely did articles touch on the most offensive part of the film, the whole story back in Sparta with McNulty, who wanted that shit, probably the first sign that Snyder's genius of painting the film canvas was going to be ruined by Hollywood's demands for "plot" and "characters" or whatever other garbage they want

the first and third complaints always were amusing to me, because not only Miller's version but Snyder's adaptation use the same framing device, it's a Spartan soldier passing down the tale to inspire soldiers in a later battle, Snyder going an extra step to make the Persians even more monstrous and inhuman than Miller had, and ignore the other Greek tribes who were at the battle, and make the traitor disfigured, was arguably more historically accurate in how the tale would have been retold to other Spartans verbally...the historical accounts we have of it are decidedly not from Spartan sources

joeboy101

• TheBore rulez
« Reply #11065 on: January 19, 2018, 04:39:00 PM »
speaking of 300, that had quite the kerfluffle back in the day

it was racist towards muslims, and persians, and homophobic towards persians
it was an allegory for supporting the Iraq War which known neoconservative Zach Snyder was pushing on everyone
it was unrealistic (no really?) and was not based in all known historical facts

yet rarely did articles touch on the most offensive part of the film, the whole story back in Sparta with McNulty, who wanted that shit, probably the first sign that Snyder's genius of painting the film canvas was going to be ruined by Hollywood's demands for "plot" and "characters" or whatever other garbage they want

the first and third complaints always were amusing to me, because not only Miller's version but Snyder's adaptation use the same framing device, it's a Spartan soldier passing down the tale to inspire soldiers in a later battle, Snyder going an extra step to make the Persians even more monstrous and inhuman than Miller had, and ignore the other Greek tribes who were at the battle, and make the traitor disfigured, was arguably more historically accurate in how the tale would have been retold to other Spartans verbally...the historical accounts we have of it are decidedly not from Spartan sources

Pretty sure Miller had the traitor as a hunchback in his book as well.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #11066 on: January 19, 2018, 04:40:31 PM »
I think it took until GoW3 to sink in that Kratos is less of a tragic figure and more of a ragenaut anti-hero (though that should have been obvious by the first one) who only ever makes things worse for himself, which is what gets brought up to this day on podcasts whenever GoW comes up.

That game also has the scene where Helios has his head slowly ripped off in lingering HD detail. I remember that rubbing some people the wrong way.

Tasty

« Reply #11067 on: January 19, 2018, 04:41:21 PM »

I don't spend my days obsessed with them anymore. Leaves more room for the historical standouts.

Tasty

« Reply #11068 on: January 19, 2018, 04:41:53 PM »
Huelen's ban for the Sonic green eyes thing wasn't even about what color eyes he should have. I think people have muddied the waters there.

The discussion started there because Sonic 4 was being hyped as a sequel to Sonic 3&K, but for all intents and purposes was a hastily thrown-together piece of shit using the Rush engine. Sonic Mania handled this entire situation in the correct way for the record, sprites are awesome, the classic Sonic character designs are great, and Sonic 4 looked more plasticky than New Super Mario Bros. (which is saying something.)

What netted Huelen the ban was completely missing the point of the convo and took it upon themself to prove that Sonic in Sonic 4 had green eyes. When... that was never in question. The image "proving" this was bordering on creepy and had no relevance to the actual conversation at the time, thus permaban.

Trying to out-weird Huelen?

Who are you and why should I care?

etiolate

« Reply #11069 on: January 19, 2018, 04:42:08 PM »

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #11070 on: January 19, 2018, 04:42:45 PM »

I have an entire mind palace dedicated to the dumb shit i've read on gaf.

benjipwns

« Reply #11071 on: January 19, 2018, 04:43:10 PM »
Pretty sure Miller had the traitor as a hunchback in his book as well.
entirely possible, i haven't read the book in a decade, or seen the movie since it came out, i just remember Snyder going a couple steps beyond what Miller drew on almost everything regarding everyone "bad", a lot of it because i mean he had to shown a whole scene rather than a panel or two

iirc, the original legend has the traitor also disfigured in a way that he was unable to fight, but it was something more like he had a bad leg or foot :lol

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #11072 on: January 19, 2018, 04:45:43 PM »
That game also has the scene where Helios has his head slowly ripped off in lingering HD detail. I remember that rubbing some people the wrong way.

The real offensive thing was the Guitar Hero mini-game/puzzle.

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #11073 on: January 19, 2018, 04:50:24 PM »
Bob Chipman approves

https://twitter.com/the_moviebob/status/953775244208205824

How can someone type "stop treating these people like people" and think they're being smart?

Trumpers are idiots but fact is that the US has to get over this divide and you don't do by refusing to understand how the other side ticks.

Himu

« Reply #11074 on: January 19, 2018, 04:56:22 PM »

[img]https://i.imgur.com/7MrHhhA.jpg[img]

Is this what you needed that christmas miracle for?

I'm in a much better spot financially right now, thankfully.
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #11075 on: January 19, 2018, 05:08:42 PM »
I think it took until GoW3 to sink in that Kratos is less of a tragic figure and more of a ragenaut anti-hero (though that should have been obvious by the first one) who only ever makes things worse for himself, which is what gets brought up to this day on podcasts whenever GoW comes up.

I've probably covered this ground many a times before, but it was one of my more disappointing gaming memories. Especially since they had started to construct something that could have gone lots of places but just fell into a routine. I think that III was ultimately stunted in its design by the fact that it was pulling the same trick on Kratos yet again. The first game had him seemingly with a semi-noble goal that Ares manipulated, II was not only epic Greek myth fan service but Zeus arguably is correct in stopping his reign as God of War except that Olympus is shown (properly) as endlessly corrupt and uses the hook that Kratos' rage could be channeled once again in a proper direction which Athena attempts. Except his final gambit is one that has to reduce him to entirely unimportant, no matter what the technical leap allowed, you couldn't do justice to the premise of a second Titan-Olympus War. And Kratos could never be the leader of the Titans, so you get essentially the same plot, yet again. And being Zeus' son was always stupid as it made his past exploits less endearing as his own triumphs.

As the technology limits faded away they also lost some of the more clever hinting and suggesting at larger and unearthly scopes. The Titans and Olympus are not portrayed well in III thrust up front and into action, especially in comparison to the places you travel in the PS2 titles, they never feel daunting to Kratos when combined with the fact that everyone else is rooting against him if only silently or for their own purposes. And though the games never portray it, Kratos has to solve a shit load of crazy puzzles in the first two games. It made him seem less dumb just by proxy. Plus both I and II face him with his past failures at times, I don't remember III going back that far. The PSP games do.

I'm interested in reading about the plot for the new game when it comes out. The change in the pantheon. Cory Barlog being back, especially after he admitted he left the team with a shit hand when he started the Titan-Olympus War and bailed out. The son doesn't seem that interesting but whatever. He said in the one preview that the Norse gods know and remember what Kratos ultimately did to Olympus so they don't trust his "change of heart" which is a more appropriate hook than him just seeking out more gods to slaughter.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #11076 on: January 19, 2018, 05:16:56 PM »
Trust gods, brehs.

Tasty

« Reply #11077 on: January 19, 2018, 05:25:48 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

:thinking I hold out hope for a lot of games that end up being shit.

Keep holding that L, etoilet.

Jansen

« Reply #11078 on: January 19, 2018, 05:26:30 PM »

agrajag

« Reply #11079 on: January 19, 2018, 05:39:20 PM »

And you used to call me an edgelord

Boredfrom

« Reply #11080 on: January 19, 2018, 05:39:41 PM »
Again, they published responses to the letters from readers saying a lot of the same things being said in this thread, and other parts of this forum. I don't think they are going unchallenged.

Disagree.

The Trump voters are not directly challenged

Excelsiorcief is such a dumbfucker.

https://www.resetera.com/posts/3510699/

Boredfrom

« Reply #11081 on: January 19, 2018, 05:44:03 PM »
Again, they published responses to the letters from readers saying a lot of the same things being said in this thread, and other parts of this forum. I don't think they are going unchallenged.

Disagree.

The Trump voters are not directly challenged

Excelsiorcief is such a dumbfucker.

https://www.resetera.com/posts/3510699/

Disagree

disagree

Tasty

« Reply #11082 on: January 19, 2018, 05:44:44 PM »

And you used to call me an edgelord

I realize I've been unnecessarily cranky here lately but something about the latest crop of users annoys me more than past waves. It's possible it's just me and I need some time away, which I'll probably take soon. :)

agrajag

« Reply #11083 on: January 19, 2018, 05:46:21 PM »
Riotous is one of the better ones imo, plus I remember him from GAF, unlike any of the other nubs

Tasty

« Reply #11084 on: January 19, 2018, 05:54:42 PM »
My overall point is the new users, and Riotous is an example of this, have been here since October and has yet to make a post outside this thread.

As always, if you're not going to engage with the site past this thread, you're generally not worth my time (or the time of any regular here.) IMO anyways.

Jansen

« Reply #11085 on: January 19, 2018, 06:06:44 PM »
Take your care posts and fuck off ntard

Tasty

« Reply #11086 on: January 19, 2018, 06:07:42 PM »
Take your care posts and fuck off ntard

:umad :playa

benjipwns

« Reply #11087 on: January 19, 2018, 06:07:44 PM »
Look guys I hear you but you should keep your mind open to the *~WHITE PEOPLE~* that voted to disenfranchise and oppress you. Maybe if you just give *~THE WHITES~* their chance to make their voices heard we could meet somewhere in the middle. Maybe Hillary wouldn't have lost if the left wasn't so unwilling to listen to hate speech and lies from these ordinary decent definitely not racist *~WHITE~* fellas that are trying to get you deported or thrown in prison or murdered.

Edit - and so my point is clear, White America has had more than enough fucking time at the mic. I'm tired of hearing why racists voted for a racist. These articles have been peppered all over the place since the election. Minorities are having their lives destroyed but let's take a minute to hear out the racist coal miner who got duped. Sick of this shit, and I don't care to empathize with racists.
I agree with this sentiment, but some posters seem to imply that anyone who voted for Trump is beyond redemption and could never change their mind or be a good person in the future.
We can worry about that when it happens. Until then I don't give a fuck about any of those people and I don't think they should be given a platform to spread their filth.

benjipwns

« Reply #11088 on: January 19, 2018, 06:09:08 PM »
You'd like to know exactly how much I don't know about politics or the law? Let me explain in four easy bullet points.
you asked earlier what I would do.

- bring back fairness doctrine (which would ideally fuck up or reconfigure Fox News)
- ban NRA
- create government broadcaster ala BBC / CBC
- severely limit campaign spending while we are asking for ponies

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #11089 on: January 19, 2018, 06:10:24 PM »

As always, if you're not going to engage with the site past this thread, you're generally not worth my time (or the time of any regular here.) IMO anyways.

But this is the best part of this place  :uguu

benjipwns

« Reply #11090 on: January 19, 2018, 06:12:29 PM »
"Why is major newspaper publishing content about voters of current United States President?".

..."PS: Is a United States Newspaper, just to be clear"
Did ya read any of the thread about why this is problematic?
HEY PAL I DON'T PAY $3.99 A MONTH TO READ THE THREADS, JUST TO KEEP THE ADS OUT OF MY WAY ON THE PATH TO 91 POSTS A DAY

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #11091 on: January 19, 2018, 06:15:22 PM »
Bothsidesism is actually a disease in journalism.
https://www.resetera.com/posts/3504453/

So disgusting of journalists to report on both sides of an issue.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #11092 on: January 19, 2018, 06:17:03 PM »
Bandage wasn't so bad in the past but he got hooked on the progressive(tm) kool-aid.

Also every resetera post should come with benjipwns commentary.
Now THAT I would gladly pay $40 a year for.
🤴

paprikastaude

« Reply #11093 on: January 19, 2018, 06:17:46 PM »
"bothsidesism"

Boredfrom

« Reply #11094 on: January 19, 2018, 06:23:30 PM »
Bothsidesism is actually a disease in journalism.
https://www.resetera.com/posts/3504453/

So disgusting of journalists to report on both sides of an issue.

Not even that, they are bitching about the opinion page!

paprikastaude

« Reply #11095 on: January 19, 2018, 06:26:09 PM »
having opinions = alt right.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #11096 on: January 19, 2018, 06:47:15 PM »

Motherfucker, you were just telling us about how you can't afford rent.
每天生气

etiolate

« Reply #11097 on: January 19, 2018, 06:49:51 PM »
listening = dog whistle

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #11098 on: January 19, 2018, 06:59:26 PM »
O my, never thought you guys were all MILKSAHKE DUKCS  :derp
🤴

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #11099 on: January 19, 2018, 06:59:47 PM »

:thinking I hold out hope for a lot of games that end up being shit.

Says a lot about you as a person, doesn't it?

(I'm teasing)