Author Topic: The Other Forums Thread for 90's Kids ONLY  (Read 2174686 times)

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
Re: The Other Forums Gentlemen's Thread for Refined Discussion of Uncouth Behavior
« Reply #16260 on: February 15, 2018, 12:57:45 PM »
Are you tasteless, uncultured idiots really shitting on Italian food?

Italian food whose entrees are < $15, yes.

This is fine Italian food: https://www.zomato.com/boston/strega-boston/menu

Looks basic.

agrajag

Re: The Other Forums Gentlemen's Thread for Refined Discussion of Uncouth Behavior
« Reply #16261 on: February 15, 2018, 01:00:27 PM »
Look, Italian food can be amazing. But pasta is literally flour and water. Some recipes have egg yolk and milk. It's cheap as fuck to make. Have some perspective, please.

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #16262 on: February 15, 2018, 01:01:53 PM »
Hey here’s a story:

I asked a girl if she wanted to hang out last week but I never formally called it a date. Nor did I want it to be a date, just wanted to hang out and get food with someone. I got the feeling she liked me since she’s always texting me out of the blue and seems super interested in me. I pay for the movie tickets ahead of time just in case it’s sold out and don’t ever try to ask her to pay me back.

At dinner, we go to this place called Nando’a (her idea), and if you’ve never been there, you’re seated by a host and then go to the counter to order whenever you’re ready to order. I’m sweating as we’re getting to the counter because you order separately and I’d look weird paying for myself then running over to pay for her. So we each just paid for ourselves. I later said something like “sorry I didn’t pay, I wasn’t sure if this was a date or not.” And she said “oh no problem” but I could see the defeat in her eyes.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #16263 on: February 15, 2018, 01:07:11 PM »
TheBore : a surprisingly :snob place.
Guess because I stick to rabble establishments but it's rare I would pay over 40e / person. Still the reaction on ERA are pretty :lol .
ὕβρις

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #16264 on: February 15, 2018, 01:07:39 PM »

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #16265 on: February 15, 2018, 01:09:17 PM »
I once took a girl out on a date and listened to her proceed to tell me she was a "feminist" and so when the check came out i assumed we were splitting it.... Only to later hear from some coworkers of her's that i knew that she was appalled i didn't pay and she wouldn't be going back out with me.

Needless to say this is the day I realized the feminist movement was a sham.  :fbm

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #16266 on: February 15, 2018, 01:12:54 PM »
I once took a girl out on a date and listened to her proceed to tell me she was a "feminist" and so when the check came out i assumed we were splitting it.... Only to later hear from some coworkers of her's that i knew that she was appalled i didn't pay and she wouldn't be going back out with me.

Needless to say this is the day I realized the feminist movement was a sham.  :fbm

The menu card is your post.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #16267 on: February 15, 2018, 01:18:59 PM »
Look, Italian food can be amazing. But pasta is literally flour and water. Some recipes have egg yolk and milk. It's cheap as fuck to make. Have some perspective, please.

Isn't that true of vast swathes of major national gastronomies though ? Most courses originated from basic everyday cooking.
ὕβρις

El Babua

« Reply #16268 on: February 15, 2018, 01:26:06 PM »
Won't have you cretins disrespecting Olive Garden here

Tasty

« Reply #16269 on: February 15, 2018, 01:28:50 PM »

I will say they somehow made salad addicting. I could literally just go there and have four bowls of their salad and be satisfied.

nudemacusers

« Reply #16270 on: February 15, 2018, 01:30:24 PM »
Wouldn’t even take a back page Hispanic male masseuse to Olive Garden :holeup
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

agrajag

« Reply #16271 on: February 15, 2018, 01:33:14 PM »

Isn't that true of vast swathes of major national gastronomies though ? Most courses originated from basic everyday cooking.

No. My job is costing out dishes. Well, part of it. Salads, pasta dishes and desserts subsidize the more expensive dishes on the menu that have much smaller cost margins. So a restaurant that serves mostly pastas doesn't need to charge nearly as much, as long as they do a lot of volume since their margins are great.

agrajag

« Reply #16272 on: February 15, 2018, 01:34:28 PM »
Wouldn’t even take a back page Hispanic male masseuse to Olive Garden :holeup

Endless breadsticks is the only edible thing there.

Broseidon

• Estado Homo
« Reply #16273 on: February 15, 2018, 01:35:09 PM »
salad  :hhh
bent

Himu

« Reply #16275 on: February 15, 2018, 01:42:11 PM »
I don't fuck with fine dining anymore. Sometimes I would go into a new Fusion place, nothing on the menu is enticing me, so I just get a seasoned chicken breast and some starch and they charge me 25 dollars for it. Fuck off.

I guess it's my fault for not scouting out the menu beforehand, but it's preposterous how much they charge for their second-tier stuff because their featured items are so high. A plain Ceaser salad for 13-16 dollars (in Ohio, mind you).

I went to a place that deconstructed sushi and it felt like I was eating sacrilege.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #16276 on: February 15, 2018, 01:43:47 PM »

Looks basic.

I can't pretend I have a well-honed palate nor have I tried the entire menu, but it seemed pretty authentic to me. :idont

Interested in you linking an Italian place you like.

Himu

« Reply #16278 on: February 15, 2018, 01:45:01 PM »
French food is more classy than Italian. A tip for any man who wishes to take out.  :-[
IYKYK

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #16279 on: February 15, 2018, 01:45:40 PM »
You don't choose a dish at a "fine dining" restaurant;  the menu is pre-selected and several courses, there's a dress code, etc.
This is true for some places. Not in the U.S though. Americans like to feel empowered.  :doge

It's what the term "fine dining" means.. in the U.S.

Most places in the US don't even have restaurants like that for sure though; but most of the US is suburban/subrural/rural and full of chains.

Yeah, you're right about fine dining being pre-selected, even in the US.  Example:  https://imgur.com/gallery/ABSms
Uncle

samfish

• Cereal mispeller
« Reply #16280 on: February 15, 2018, 01:47:27 PM »
Man, you guys have to get married already. Gay-married, I suppose. Then your dating costs plummet.
Like last night my wife and I were like, "you wanna get something fancy for dinner tonight? It's Valentine's Day."

"You mean Arby's?"

"No, no, I mean real fancy – like Ruby Tuesdays."

"Oh yeah, that'd be nice."

Then we did it as a carry-out order so we didn't even have to tip 'em.

None of this 'hold on, doll – that lobster bichon frise is like $50 bucks. I ain't buying that for you unless you're puttin' out."

agrajag

« Reply #16281 on: February 15, 2018, 01:48:29 PM »
I don't fuck with fine dining anymore. Sometimes I would go into a new Fusion place, nothing on the menu is enticing me, so I just get a seasoned chicken breast and some starch and they charge me 25 dollars for it. Fuck off.

I guess it's my fault for not scouting out the menu beforehand, but it's preposterous how much they charge for their second-tier stuff because their featured items are so high. A plain Ceaser salad for 13-16 dollars (in Ohio, mind you).

I went to a place that deconstructed sushi and it felt like I was eating sacrilege.

I've found that in the majority of cases, deconstructed dishes take less talent and technique than their normal versions. Sushi is a craft that requires a lot of practice. It's a hell of a lot easier to throw rice, nori fish and tobiko in a bowl than to actually roll a perfect maki sushi.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #16282 on: February 15, 2018, 01:48:57 PM »
brehs now im banned for a week?

continued hostility towards other users or some shit

wtf?
What

FStop7

« Reply #16283 on: February 15, 2018, 01:49:01 PM »
Saying $50 for an entree is the highest of high end is fucking laughable.

Himu

« Reply #16284 on: February 15, 2018, 01:50:39 PM »
Speaking of...

WHAT ARE THE ETHICS OF TIPPING CARRY OUT

As a respectful black person, I am proud to admit that I tip very liberally. So I’m always so distraught and don’t know what to do when I get carry out because I’m so used to tipping well. What am I to do?!
IYKYK

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #16285 on: February 15, 2018, 01:51:52 PM »
I just give them $2 if I’m just ordering for myself and it’s a place I go to regularly.

Himu

« Reply #16286 on: February 15, 2018, 01:52:00 PM »

I've found that in the majority of cases, deconstructed dishes take less talent and technique than their normal versions. Sushi is a craft that requires a lot of practice. It's a hell of a lot easier to throw rice, nori fish and tobiko in a bowl than to actually roll a perfect maki sushi.

Exactly. What makes sushi great it the art form, the combination. Plus eating raw fish in bulk but not in little pieces is gross.

Hipsters are ruining food!
IYKYK

« Reply #16287 on: February 15, 2018, 01:54:10 PM »
Speaking of...

As a respectful black person, I am proud to admit that I tip very liberally. So I’m always so distraught and don’t know what to do when I get carry out because I’m so used to tipping well. What am I to do?!

I tip $1 or $2 when picking up takeout (teriyaki, Mediterranean, Indian, etc.). These are typically places I go to on a regular basis.

I also tip $1 per beer when I'm out. [shrug]
野球

Himu

« Reply #16288 on: February 15, 2018, 01:55:16 PM »
That’s what I do too. Good that I’m on the right side of history! :rejoice
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #16289 on: February 15, 2018, 01:57:22 PM »
Yeah $1-2 feels right to me. Glad I'm on the right side of history too. :obama

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Then again I way overtip all the time otherwise so... :doge
[close]

kingv

« Reply #16290 on: February 15, 2018, 01:57:35 PM »

Love Olive Garden when they do that second dish to take home cold for lunch tomorrow shit.

Tasty

« Reply #16291 on: February 15, 2018, 01:58:12 PM »

Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. :idont

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #16292 on: February 15, 2018, 02:01:39 PM »
Speaking of...

I never tip for takeout, but I mostly just get takeout from casual places that are between $10-15 a meal. I also live in California where wait staff are paid full minimum wage on top of their tips, so I don't feel guilty about it.

For sit down, I usually tip 20% rounded up to the nearest dollar assuming they didn't forget about me after handing me the check.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #16293 on: February 15, 2018, 02:01:54 PM »
I never tip on carry out :snob
que

Tasty

« Reply #16294 on: February 15, 2018, 02:03:33 PM »
Speak of fancy food places, that place bebpo Kara and I went to in Vegas for absinthe was definitely on the fancy side.

Think this was all around $100 tho.

Granted while we were enjoying all this we recorded the Sega Saturn Cruncheon. :doge

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #16295 on: February 15, 2018, 02:03:34 PM »
brehs now im banned for a week?

continued hostility towards other users or some shit

wtf?

Maybe you ticked someone off. On GAF, I could say whatever for years but then a mod realized they didn’t like me and I got banned over stupid shit constantly.

Himu

« Reply #16296 on: February 15, 2018, 02:03:59 PM »

Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. :idont

Hmm, they do like pho. And I do see hipsters getting in on the taco truck tip and helping businesses of hard working Mexicans. :heartbeat

But what if they start doing deconstructed al pastor tacos and deconstructed pho?
IYKYK

agrajag

« Reply #16297 on: February 15, 2018, 02:04:31 PM »

Exactly. What makes sushi great it the art form, the combination. Plus eating raw fish in bulk but not in little pieces is gross.

You have no idea how much dumb food trends piss me off.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #16298 on: February 15, 2018, 02:05:28 PM »
I had a thai/vietnamese/mexican fusion burrito once. I could've match TVC's stomach issues one for one during those 24 hours.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 02:10:14 PM by I'm a Puppy! »
que

Himu

« Reply #16299 on: February 15, 2018, 02:11:34 PM »
I had a thai/vietnamese/mexican fusion burrito once. I could've match TVC's stomach issues one for one during those 24 hours.

Reading this sentence made me so sad.
IYKYK

nudemacusers

« Reply #16300 on: February 15, 2018, 02:12:56 PM »
Man, you guys have to get married already. Gay-married, I suppose. Then your dating costs plummet.
Like last night my wife and I were like, "you wanna get something fancy for dinner tonight? It's Valentine's Day."

"You mean Arby's?"

"No, no, I mean real fancy – like Ruby Tuesdays."

"Oh yeah, that'd be nice."

Then we did it as a carry-out order so we didn't even have to tip 'em.

None of this 'hold on, doll – that lobster bichon frise is like $50 bucks. I ain't buying that for you unless you're puttin' out."
What we do is a nice multi course meal at home once a week and on rare occasion go out to a nicer local joint. I pretty much don’t bother with your Olive Garden tier place unless I’m being dragged to one. :snob
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 02:17:52 PM by nudemacusers »
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Jansen

« Reply #16301 on: February 15, 2018, 02:13:19 PM »

I hope Gordon Ramsay rapes you to death while Marino watches

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #16302 on: February 15, 2018, 02:14:33 PM »
Next you're going to take me to little italy and tell me that's good italian food. Most of those places suck and have been watered down for decades.

Boston's North End is date fucking central.

This is where you show your provincialism.

You see high price and you assume high quality. Let me guess, you run into the Red Lobster in times square because surely at those prices it's the best man can buy?

In the Caribbean, we call marks like you fat Americans.

Steak is literally cow with salt. Some recipes add garlic salt.

It's cheap as fuck to make. Have some perspective, please.

BTW, if you want your girl to wet her panties, you feed her this

:O

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #16303 on: February 15, 2018, 02:15:02 PM »
50 bucks here is just about a plate of Japanese style chicken and waffles and a cocktail and I get it like once a week.
serge

paprikastaude

« Reply #16304 on: February 15, 2018, 02:17:14 PM »

BTW, if you want your girl to wet her panties, you feed her this

(Image removed from quote.)

Looks like dirt in a bedpan.

nudemacusers

« Reply #16305 on: February 15, 2018, 02:18:56 PM »
Ugh some of you probably shop at Macy’s too  :-\
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

james

« Reply #16306 on: February 15, 2018, 02:19:02 PM »
50 bucks here is just about a plate of Japanese style chicken and waffles and a cocktail and I get it like once a week.

Unless you live in Geneva, bullshit.

Here are some more NYC fine dining prices:

$27.95
Lobster, shrimp, clams, sea scallops and New Zealand mussels simmered in your choice of our marinara or green sauce served with saffron rice

$35.95
Three lobster tails, shrimp and scallops with penne in vodka sauce

$28.95
Jumbo shrimp stuffed with crabmeat, served with crisp Spanish style potatoes, saffron rice and fresh vegetables

$42.95
Surf and turf center-cut beef tenderloin and a 7 oz. lobster tail grilled over hardwood coals, served with crisp Spanish style potatoes and sauteed seasonal vegetables

$65.95 (for two)
A presentation of two of whole lobster, lobster tails, prawns, jumbo shrimp, king crab legs, clams, New Zealand mussels and scallops, served with crisp Spanish style potatoes and saffron rice

TVC15

« Reply #16307 on: February 15, 2018, 02:20:42 PM »

$27.95
Lobster, shrimp, clams, sea scallops and New Zealand mussels simmered in your choice of our marinara or green sauce served with saffron rice

$35.95

$28.95
Jumbo shrimp stuffed with crabmeat, served with crisp Spanish style potatoes, saffron rice and fresh vegetables

$42.95
Surf and turf center-cut beef tenderloin and a 7 oz. lobster tail grilled over hardwood coals, served with crisp Spanish style potatoes and sauteed seasonal vegetables

$65.95 (for two)
A presentation of two of whole lobster, lobster tails, prawns, jumbo shrimp, king crab legs, clams, New Zealand mussels and scallops, served with crisp Spanish style potatoes and saffron rice

You add a cocktail to any of those, except the ones in the 20s, and you’re at about 50. (Admittedly, I only get a cocktail if it’s night.)
serge

« Reply #16308 on: February 15, 2018, 02:24:42 PM »

Like karaage and waffles? Why have I not thought of this before. God I love karaage.
野球

james

« Reply #16309 on: February 15, 2018, 02:25:09 PM »
Sure, and its over $500 if you order 7 entrees each, 3 apps, and 2 bottles of wine.

Add another $1,600 if you crash your car in the parking lot.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #16310 on: February 15, 2018, 02:25:54 PM »
Man, you guys have to get married already.
None of this 'puttin' out."

:umad

agrajag

« Reply #16311 on: February 15, 2018, 02:26:37 PM »

$27.95

$35.95

$28.95

$42.95

$65.95 (for two)

Where is this from? You keep posting very generic dishes with descriptions that read like they're from 1980's

« Reply #16312 on: February 15, 2018, 02:27:40 PM »

This is where my wife and I went on Friday night. These are pretty standard Seattle prices.
野球

TVC15

« Reply #16313 on: February 15, 2018, 02:29:41 PM »

Like karaage and waffles? Why have I not thought of this before. God I love karaage.

Yep. And matcha butter. It’s fantastic.
serge

agrajag

« Reply #16314 on: February 15, 2018, 02:30:11 PM »

I hope Gordon Ramsay rapes you to death while Marino watches

:confused

agrajag

« Reply #16315 on: February 15, 2018, 02:31:08 PM »

Yep. And matcha butter. It’s fantastic.

Stealing all these ideas.

Clockwork5

« Reply #16316 on: February 15, 2018, 02:31:20 PM »
The dudes that brought their dates to the restaurant I manage would have felt blessed to get out of there at under $50 per person. Our set menu was $140 per person. The dudes who didn't check their voicemail confirmation where we informed them that this was the only menu available looked scared.

TVC15

« Reply #16317 on: February 15, 2018, 02:31:37 PM »
Sure, and its over $500 if you order 7 entrees each, 3 apps, and 2 bottles of wine.

Add another $1,600 if you crash your car in the parking lot.

I mean he literally said a dish and a cocktail; and he'd have to tip... sooo...

I was going to say the same thing, but I’m just not going to bother with him. Winners like me have better things to do. Like it’s almost time to put on pants for the day.
serge

james

« Reply #16318 on: February 15, 2018, 02:32:41 PM »
Where is this from?

Sorry, cultured folks only.

descriptions that read like they're from 1980's

:gaben

agrajag

« Reply #16319 on: February 15, 2018, 02:34:18 PM »
That's not fine dining breh, whoever told you that lied to you.