Author Topic: The Other Forums Thread for 90's Kids ONLY  (Read 2193942 times)

Nabbis

• oops
Re: The Other Forums Gentlemen's Thread for Refined Discussion of Uncouth Behavior
« Reply #16980 on: February 18, 2018, 02:24:49 PM »
It's a high profile game made by Europoors instead of Murica for once. There's your fucking diversity. Unless diversity means just black or brown people.  :doge

Averon

Re: The Other Forums Gentlemen's Thread for Refined Discussion of Uncouth Behavior
« Reply #16981 on: February 18, 2018, 02:27:38 PM »
I would not be surprised if the red ban messages eventually disappear. The ban reasons are becoming more and more specious and absurd and more people are noticing it. Better to just drop the ban hammer and not have to give any reason for it, like classic GAF. Much easier for the staff.

Boredfrom

« Reply #16982 on: February 18, 2018, 02:27:39 PM »
That WayPoint thread is becoming a graveyard.

SweetNicole has proven to be every bit as bad as Besada. You gotta wonder if she's letting Besada share her account. Would not be the first time something like that has happened.

In any case, Cerium or Zhuge needs to reign in SweetNicole if they don't want RestERA falling into the same trap and reputation GAF developed. Can't sell a lot of $40 subscriptions when your place is known of being ban happy for 'wrong-think' that's not even clear half the time.

Or maybe they see what SweetNicole doing as perfectly fine, in which case RestERA is screwed and will collapse under its own BS just like GAF eventually did.

I doubt they could do something about sweet nicole without getting a shitstorm, feels like the bans of that thread is a direct response of people complaining that the Gaming section be more letient.

paprikastaude

« Reply #16983 on: February 18, 2018, 02:32:07 PM »
It's a high profile game made by Europoors instead of Murica for once. There's your fucking diversity. Unless diversity means just black or brown people.  :doge

It means that the ethnic diversity of a modern day US city is a thing that was the status quo throughout history in every imaginable location. Claiming/portraying anything else is whitewashing, based on lying historiography for racists.

clothedmacuser

• Defender of Centrist Scum
« Reply #16984 on: February 18, 2018, 02:48:19 PM »
 Spring-Loaded is especially dumb in that waypoint thread.  And when people call him out he just says "lol I'm mostly joking. "
O
sigh

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #16985 on: February 18, 2018, 03:09:26 PM »
Less than 6 months in and REEE is pretty much neoGAF now

it's a lot worse. it is basically controlled by a few lunatic transsexuals.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #16986 on: February 18, 2018, 03:12:32 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/posts/4672848/

But that’s not the context, is it? It says homicide cases. And if the graph is factual (we don’t have a source), then it’s stating a truth. How is that then racist?

This is of course assuming the graph is fact.

User Banned (Duration Pending): Ignoring administrator instructions and defending Vavra's views. Pushing and defending bigoted remarks.

Might as well be User Banned: REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

I'm getting serious deja vu. Didn't someone on gaf get banned for pretty much confirming a fact about 2 years ago, which was perceived to be racist?

Swear I remember a ban exactly like this happening but I forget the poster. I remember it being discussed on thebore though.

paprikastaude

« Reply #16987 on: February 18, 2018, 03:12:32 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/posts/4676288/

Why is an issue the lack of black people in the game? Even if the game is not 100% historical accurate (which is nearly impossible and of course would be boring for a game), a black person would stick out in the medieval context. How putting some black dude just to please American would be any better?

Not every game has to be racial diverse. We could have this same discussion with thousands of them.
User Warned: Downplaying diversity as exclusively an American concern.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #16988 on: February 18, 2018, 03:22:26 PM »
That WayPoint thread is becoming a graveyard.

SweetNicole has proven to be every bit as bad as Besada. You gotta wonder if she's letting Besada share her account. Would not be the first time something like that has happened.

In any case, Cerium or Zhuge needs to reign in SweetNicole if they don't want RestERA falling into the same trap and reputation GAF developed. Can't sell a lot of $40 subscriptions when your place is known of being ban happy for 'wrong-think' that's not even clear half the time.

Or maybe they see what SweetNicole doing as perfectly fine, in which case RestERA is screwed and will collapse under its own BS just like GAF eventually did.

They said they'd give a refund if you get banned mid-month and are paying for the subscription.

As for SweetNicole, I assume that the other mods see members getting banned as a way of 'pruning' the member list of anyone who has slipped in that wasn't supposed to. I imagine they think it's going to slowly die down once all the 'subversives' are taken care of. Good luck with that.

samir

« Reply #16989 on: February 18, 2018, 03:22:45 PM »
Yeah reset is 10x worse than gaf ever was. People are getting banned in droves for bullshit reasons. That's what you get when you let the inmates run the asylum.

And what's the deal with this Kingdom game anyway? Are people seriously freaking out because they didn't put black dudes in a game taking place in medieval Europe? Who the fuck cares??

zepblackstar

« Reply #16990 on: February 18, 2018, 03:24:17 PM »
I would not be surprised if the red ban messages eventually disappear. The ban reasons are becoming more and more specious and absurd and more people are noticing it. Better to just drop the ban hammer and not have to give any reason for it, like classic GAF. Much easier for the staff.
resetera ban messages are a thing on gaming twitter for laughs

Nabbis

• oops
« Reply #16991 on: February 18, 2018, 03:25:52 PM »

Why is an issue the lack of black people in the game? Even if the game is not 100% historical accurate (which is nearly impossible and of course would be boring for a game), a black person would stick out in the medieval context. How putting some black dude just to please American would be any better?

Not every game has to be racial diverse. We could have this same discussion with thousands of them.

That's not even funny anymore. This is morphing into some flat earth type of shit where people will just double down on some inane belief.

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #16992 on: February 18, 2018, 03:38:20 PM »
You can't move on from sexism. Can't from misogyny/the patriarch/gamer-gate/the "alt-right". You can't move on if you were a victim to any of the mentioned ideologies.

And you can never really escape from it if you are the primary target.

The best a target can do is literally hide their existence but most don't have that luxury.

And thus, it has to be fought where ever it's at.

https://www.resetera.com/posts/4684239/

Could someone please report this man for using red text?

samfish

• Cereal mispeller
« Reply #16993 on: February 18, 2018, 03:39:35 PM »
If i had some lulz money, i would buy 100 copies and make a thread for free distribution of the game on Reset. Even those shitty anime pedo games don't get the resistance as riled up as this game does.

If I had some lulz money I would buy a big banner ad for thebore.com on RE.
I did this on GAF once. If you do the ad right, you won't even need to spend a lot of money. $10 bucks a day tops. All you need is some sap to notice it and make a thread about it, which they will if it inspires drama.

Demi, can I make an ad and run it on ERA, and if so, what are the rules regarding your strict branding guidelines?

Boredfrom

« Reply #16994 on: February 18, 2018, 03:40:46 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

I mean, is not an US concern only, but the way is discussed and treated  is pretty American centric.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #16995 on: February 18, 2018, 03:41:44 PM »
Yeah reset is 10x worse than gaf ever was. People are getting banned in droves for bullshit reasons. That's what you get when you let the inmates run the asylum.

And what's the deal with this Kingdom game anyway? Are people seriously freaking out because they didn't put black dudes in a game taking place in medieval Europe? Who the fuck cares??

It is part that, and partly because as a European, on Twitter Vávra doesn't filter himself the way an American would when speaking about race. He also considers Gamergate salvageable as a movement to improve gaming journalism.

And yes, people are claiming that the lack of black people in the game is indicative of Vávra's racism, and has nothing to do with the fact they just didn't exist in that region at that time in history. The game also has no tomatoes and no corn for that same reason.

paprikastaude

« Reply #16996 on: February 18, 2018, 03:52:34 PM »

It is part that, and partly because as a European, on Twitter Vávra doesn't filter himself the way an American would when speaking about race. He also considers Gamergate salvageable as a movement to improve gaming journalism.

And yes, people are claiming that the lack of black people in the game is indicative of Vávra's racism, and has nothing to do with the fact they just didn't exist in that region at that time in history. The game also has no tomatoes and no corn for that same reason.

User banned (duration pending): Nonsense gamergate dog whistling, equating people of colour with vegetables

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #16997 on: February 18, 2018, 03:54:50 PM »
Goddam this resetera simulation is top-notch

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #16998 on: February 18, 2018, 04:10:42 PM »
I dont try to defend someone here but please consider the difference in cultures.
We europeans can't even imagine how it is so easy for anyone to buy gun in america and how they think that to have guns and use it is their rights. We find it crazy.
For americans it is difficult to imagine that some eastern europe countries see racism not with the same perspective as them and that's it. Vavra is certainly the bad here but please see the situation from the perspective of the other.

And for referrence western europeans, eastern europeans, mediterraneans are not the same.
User Banned (5 Days): Ignoring site policy. We do not permit the defense of racism. Previously warned for inappropriate comments.

Thank god they're cracking down on these vile racists

« Reply #16999 on: February 18, 2018, 04:13:12 PM »
I have to say, for not spending a dime, RE provides so much entertainment.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #17000 on: February 18, 2018, 04:25:39 PM »
So I haven't seen Black Panther. Are there any Native Americans and Asians in Wakanda?

If not,  :reeeee

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #17001 on: February 18, 2018, 04:29:45 PM »
So I haven't seen Black Panther.

User banned (duration pending): Racist

Raist

« Reply #17002 on: February 18, 2018, 04:32:30 PM »
So the guy who went "And this game depicts cumans as white. WHITEWASHING REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" is now doubliing down after being informed that yes, according to multiple accounts, cumans were basically white.

https://www.resetera.com/posts/4682721/

I guess we need a new term then. Caucasowashing.

etiolate

« Reply #17003 on: February 18, 2018, 04:57:38 PM »
I love the argument that Cumans needed more "asianess" in their depiction in a game where facial detail isn't exactly the graphical strong point.

Raist

« Reply #17004 on: February 18, 2018, 04:58:26 PM »

Cinema tickets are like $25 here. Stop poorshaming me you fucking capitalist shitlord.

Jansen

« Reply #17005 on: February 18, 2018, 05:09:09 PM »

Cinema tickets are like $25 here. Stop poorshaming me you fucking capitalist shitlord.

wtf i can go to a 2D matinee showing at Alamo Drafthouse for $7

zepblackstar

« Reply #17006 on: February 18, 2018, 05:13:13 PM »

you live in Dubai?

BisMarckie

« Reply #17007 on: February 18, 2018, 05:17:47 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/waypoint-we-havent-covered-kingdom-come-deliverance-lets-talk-about-why.24062/page-17#post-4687075

Nevermind historical accuracy, that a game was made about an all white place and time that excuses the presence of any sort of progressive politics and representation is dubious in its own right.

:derp

From here on now I will campaign for the removal of all video games that don't take place in a 2018 America with Queen Hillary having usurped evil emperor Trump.

Medieval Studies were always suspect to me. They don't talk about progressive values like at all! I wonder if history has been undermined by the alt right...

Raist

« Reply #17008 on: February 18, 2018, 05:20:33 PM »
Nevermind historical accuracy, that a game was made about an all white place and time that excuses the presence of any sort of progressive politics and representation is dubious in its own right.

:dead

you live in Dubai?

Nice try with the doxxing  :ohyou

Raist

« Reply #17009 on: February 18, 2018, 05:42:58 PM »
Ah, at last. I was starting to worry. We're finally entering the next phase of the Nintard cycle "fantasize about top-tier specs that will never happen".

Please don't take the logistics of this too literally. It's just an imaginary scenario. Don't worry about battery life, when it would come out, or console exclusions or exclusivity with current switch and this hypothetical switch pro.

Read the OP. Please don't take it too literally with the logistics. That is the very last thing I wanted this thread to be about and have a discussion on.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/lets-say-nintendo-used-the-nvidia-xavier-soc-as-its-switch-pro.24202/

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #17010 on: February 18, 2018, 05:47:37 PM »

nah, one of the replies is even more worthy of that emoji

Now this is just ridiculous. You're seriously suggesting that games should not have settings that aren't diverse and/or don't allow for progressive politics and representation?

purposeful baiting or really REE?

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #17011 on: February 18, 2018, 05:52:21 PM »
Oh shit when did Kirblar get demodded?

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #17012 on: February 18, 2018, 05:54:35 PM »
User banned (duration pending): drive-by posting
Are you serious?

User banned (1 month): downplaying racism, dog whistling
Of course yes, how dare they make a game about their own country's history...
Seriously by that logic large parts of the world and human history would be off limits cause some ppl could see them as offensive.

User permabanned: history of racism
Now this is just ridiculous. You're seriously suggesting that games should not have settings that aren't diverse and/or don't allow for progressive politics and representation?

user warned: thread whining
Yes, we should support developers who are making interesting stories with interesting and diverse characters. Not sure why you would bring this complaint in a thread about a game that deals with medieval life near Prague, though...

We are temporarily locking this thread to see if the discussion can be salvaged. Please take note that we do not condone racism in any shape or form. Oppression is a serious issue. We will review our policy towards Vavra and his game, thank you.
🤴

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #17013 on: February 18, 2018, 05:58:44 PM »
Can someone remind me what careers Lime has pretended to have? Right now I'm seeing grad student or academic faculty.
每天生气

BisMarckie

« Reply #17014 on: February 18, 2018, 06:03:39 PM »
What irks me the most by the way is not projecting the American idea of diversity on a Czech game( btw. How many of those have been made? Isn't that diverse enough ?)

It's people thinking that Medieval "states" are in any shape or form comparable to the modern nation state.

« Reply #17015 on: February 18, 2018, 06:05:36 PM »
edit: misread

« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 10:41:54 PM by ZombieSupaStar »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #17016 on: February 18, 2018, 06:05:57 PM »
He was totally serious Phoenix Dark

Yeah, of course, it's nothing new that representation is pre-emptively manipulated by situating your work in contexts that allow for your work to have exactly what kinds of people you want it to have. As it is, in this case, this choice of the team (or whoever's) to have make a game about this kind of space and time is seemingly in line with the accusations being made, thus it's put under a different light.
🤴

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #17017 on: February 18, 2018, 06:07:36 PM »

I think he said he stepped down? But these days it's hard to tell if someone is stepping down or if they're "stepping down".

http://collider.com/zack-snyder-fired-from-justice-league/

But honestly I always liked Kirblar and hope he left because he saw how crazy moderation is getting and doesn't want no part of that shit.

etiolate

« Reply #17018 on: February 18, 2018, 06:09:40 PM »
A dogwhistle is supposed only be heard by dogs.

nudemacusers

« Reply #17019 on: February 18, 2018, 06:10:04 PM »
i really don't want to be a consumer or participant of a medium which may have problematic characters, settings, ideas or themes. having to tackle difficult subject matter gets in the way of my casual enjoyment and need for escapism. also please consider this medium art thanks.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Raist

« Reply #17020 on: February 18, 2018, 06:11:35 PM »
Again, i don't think people of color MUST be included in everygame, but if the discussion is closed before that it even started, it's clearly an issue.

5mins later...

Nobody said that Bohemia must be represented like today Senegal, but they could have added an occasional positive POC as the form of a diplomate or a trader. You don't need to be historian to know that diplomate and merchants use to travel all over the world.

:nintendo

BisMarckie

« Reply #17021 on: February 18, 2018, 06:14:21 PM »
i really don't want to be a consumer or participant of a medium which may have problematic characters, settings, ideas or themes. having to tackle difficult subject matter gets in the way of my casual enjoyment and need for escapism. also please consider this medium art thanks.

People who really give a fuck about whether games are considered art (by whom exactly?) are :derp

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #17022 on: February 18, 2018, 06:15:23 PM »

I think he said he stepped down? But these days it's hard to tell if someone is stepping down or if they're "stepping down".

But honestly I always liked Kirblar and hope he left because he saw how crazy moderation is getting and doesn't want no part of that shit.
Kirblar made a dumb Clinton conspiracy thread that got some people banned who disagreed with him.

That was probably crossing a line for the other mods.
🤴

EightBitNate

« Reply #17023 on: February 18, 2018, 06:16:32 PM »

I had no beef with him but he didn’t really seem all too different from the rest of the mods from what I’ve seen.

Boredfrom

« Reply #17024 on: February 18, 2018, 06:20:56 PM »

I had no beef with him but he didn’t really seem all too different from the rest of the mods from what I’ve seen.

Outside of politics, he was a pretty sane mod.

Raist

« Reply #17025 on: February 18, 2018, 06:30:34 PM »
Ex-Ratata mods are the worst.

EightBitNate

« Reply #17026 on: February 18, 2018, 06:47:02 PM »

Outside of politics, he was a pretty sane mod.

What else is there

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #17027 on: February 18, 2018, 06:59:17 PM »
Ahh he edited it, was glad somebody finally showed how stupid this trial of thought is too.

They would ban Mario 64 given the chance, its all just white guys and dangerous female stereotypes after all.
The dogpile in the Kingdom thread is now going the other way.  :doge
🤴

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #17028 on: February 18, 2018, 07:00:47 PM »
What a weird logical view. "Given how Things Are Today, now is not the time for...a Euro centric videogames set in the middle ages."

:doge

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #17029 on: February 18, 2018, 07:14:46 PM »
But one cheeky fucking where guy decides to make a game with just white characters, based on historical expert advice, and it's thread warnings and drama!

The Bore commentary on ResetEra itself. lit af
🤴

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #17030 on: February 18, 2018, 07:16:36 PM »
Ahh he edited it, was glad somebody finally showed how stupid this trial of thought is too.

They would ban Mario 64 given the chance, its all just white guys and dangerous female stereotypes after all.
The dogpile in the Kingdom thread is now going the other way.  :doge

mdubs said: ↑
You are saying this like it’s a bad thing. If a game’s setting isn’t going to allow for diversity, the game should not exist.

Nah, not really. He posted something incredibly fucking stupid and then hid it. It's not some sign that idiocy is starting to lose. If he had left the comment, as fucking stupid as it was... it wouldn't have earned him any consternation from moderation.

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #17031 on: February 18, 2018, 07:47:16 PM »

:holeup :holeup :holeup

etiolate

« Reply #17032 on: February 18, 2018, 07:48:37 PM »
Thank goodness Reset has such active moderation so that we can weed out all the racists and get quality posts like this:

https://www.resetera.com/posts/4690947/

« Reply #17033 on: February 18, 2018, 08:09:56 PM »
What a weird logical view. "Given how Things Are Today, now is not the time for...a Euro centric videogames set in the middle ages."

:doge

Diversity means other countries SHUT THE FUCK UP AND LISTEN TO AMERICA.
We have a self absorbed obnoxious overbearing asshole for a president trying to force people to do things the way he wants.
That's why you need to stop making the thing you want to make, the way you want to make it, for the people who want it and instead do what we want and pay us consulting fees to do it or we will destroy you #giveyourmoneytotranswomenofcolor

Clockwork5

« Reply #17034 on: February 18, 2018, 08:35:26 PM »
Poor Lime is just a voice in the crowd now.

In general it would be nice to see stories with a protagonist that isn’t a white dude. They’re literally everywhere and I’ve had enough for five life times at this point yet they keep getting spit out as if they’re the only people who exist in the world and are at the center of the universe.

https://www.resetera.com/posts/4685875/

Averon

« Reply #17035 on: February 18, 2018, 08:52:48 PM »
Poor Lime is just a voice in the crowd now.

In general it would be nice to see stories with a protagonist that isn’t a white dude. They’re literally everywhere and I’ve had enough for five life times at this point yet they keep getting spit out as if they’re the only people who exist in the world and are at the center of the universe.

https://www.resetera.com/posts/4685875/

Lime's inability to make bait-ridden threads has taken a lot of the bite out of him/her/whatever the hell they are pretending to be in any given day.

paprikastaude

« Reply #17037 on: February 18, 2018, 08:53:36 PM »
User banned (1 month): downplaying racism, dog whistling
Of course yes, how dare they make a game about their own country's history...
Seriously by that logic large parts of the world and human history would be off limits cause some ppl could see them as offensive.

How does this even make sense anymore :lol They sure have a hard time dealing with the fact that certain parts of history were ethnically homogenous. Everything is fake news whitewashed, everyone's a racist.

Raist

« Reply #17038 on: February 18, 2018, 08:57:33 PM »
Essentially, it comes down to Vávra being an immense asshole. If he were normal, most of this shit would not be a problem. Alas, here we are.

So who exactly was the immense asshole at CDPR who caused people to get their panties in a twist because there were no black folks in TW3?

Raist

« Reply #17039 on: February 18, 2018, 09:02:11 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-atlantic-the-more-gender-equality-the-fewer-women-in-stem.24223/

this should be good

I think society is still feeling the effects of systematic sexism imposed on early childhood development

Yes, yes, the systematic sexism still lingering in Finland, but long eradicated from the UAE :nintendo