Author Topic: The Other Forums Thread for 90's Kids ONLY  (Read 2174516 times)

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
Re: The Other Forums Gentlemen's Thread for Refined Discussion of Uncouth Behavior
« Reply #17041 on: February 18, 2018, 09:19:38 PM »
When your opponent is literally taking offense to historical record being presented honestly, where do you argue from there? You definitely can't concede. Next thing you know we'll have a Call of Duty game where you're a Japanese soldier who rides a talking polar-bear into battle. Also the Allies are the bad guys and the Japanese are the heroes, who just want to bring anime, sushi, and drift-racing to the western savages.

Re: The Other Forums Gentlemen's Thread for Refined Discussion of Uncouth Behavior
« Reply #17042 on: February 18, 2018, 09:41:23 PM »
When your opponent is literally taking offense to historical record being presented honestly, where do you argue from there? You definitely can't concede. Next thing you know we'll have a Call of Duty game where you're a Japanese soldier who rides a talking polar-bear into battle. Also the Allies are the bad guys and the Japanese are the heroes, who just want to bring anime, sushi, and drift-racing to the western savages.

wtf I love social justice now

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #17043 on: February 18, 2018, 09:45:47 PM »

Maybe find different opponents? It’s like someone in a wheel chair insisting they’ll beat you in a race. Do you seriously need to race to know you’ll win?  :yeshrug

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #17044 on: February 18, 2018, 09:51:31 PM »
I mean some electric wheelchairs are capable of 10mph so if it was an endurance race who knows

« Reply #17045 on: February 18, 2018, 09:59:01 PM »

Maybe find different opponents? It’s like someone in a wheel chair insisting they’ll beat you in a race. Do you seriously need to race to know you’ll win?  :yeshrug
User was banned for ablesim

Averon

« Reply #17046 on: February 18, 2018, 10:42:46 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/kingdom-come-soars-through-the-top-5-concurrent-players-peak-for-rpgs-on-steam.24260/

I'm sure that includes plenty of fine people

Absolutely seething

Its sad that nearly every thread about this game needs a mod posting massive block of red text. And even then that is not enough sometimes.

« Reply #17047 on: February 18, 2018, 10:49:00 PM »
Played KCD for 5 hours today, its pretty fun, hopefully Bethesda looks at it more for ES6.

Who am I kidding.... ES6 will have 3 classes, Knight, Mage, Archer, with 2 stats (mana and health) and and a voiced protagonist.

etiolate

« Reply #17048 on: February 18, 2018, 10:54:25 PM »
oh god they made Brazil a moderator? I recall his GAF posting days to be... less than desirable. Maybe I'm remembering the wrong person.

Bore Expert

« Reply #17049 on: February 18, 2018, 11:05:50 PM »
Less than desirable... he’ll fit right in

Marhunchy

« Reply #17050 on: February 18, 2018, 11:07:55 PM »
PhoenixDark with the step jab  :leon

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #17051 on: February 18, 2018, 11:13:16 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/kingdom-come-soars-through-the-top-5-concurrent-players-peak-for-rpgs-on-steam.24260/

Absolutely seething

Its sad that nearly every thread about this game needs a mod posting massive block of red text. And even then that is not enough sometimes.

How can a first post be a drive-by? The mods need to come up with some new fancy sounding terms.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #17052 on: February 18, 2018, 11:32:24 PM »
oh god they made Brazil a moderator? I recall his GAF posting days to be... less than desirable. Maybe I'm remembering the wrong person.
No, that guy is a lamer

I think they should probably just ban any and all topics pertaining to Kingdom Come since obviously they can't handle talking about it

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #17054 on: February 19, 2018, 12:27:12 AM »

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #17055 on: February 19, 2018, 12:54:19 AM »
Hold up... they gave Joel McHale a show on Netflix?

:rejoice

nudemacusers

« Reply #17056 on: February 19, 2018, 12:55:39 AM »

Absolutely seething

lmao they really aren't doing well at all with this... pls don't dogpile the intentional derail that only nets a soft warning  :lol

edit:

User warned: Complaining about moderation after a moderator's warning against it in that same thread.

:dead
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

nudemacusers

« Reply #17057 on: February 19, 2018, 12:56:01 AM »

yes it's talk soup 2.0 and awesome
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #17058 on: February 19, 2018, 01:00:04 AM »
Talk Soup was my favorite show for a long time. I still watch old eps on YouTube every once in a while. The whole show is literally all topical but somehow trash talking is timeless.
每天生气

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #17059 on: February 19, 2018, 01:12:14 AM »

Just finished the first episode.  :P

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #17060 on: February 19, 2018, 01:20:21 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/posts/4695469/

Golden Skyrat still fighting hard to find a way to have random POC traders be in this game for some reason.

I'm sure a random shithole in central bohemia was at the height of trading activity in 1403 :dead

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #17061 on: February 19, 2018, 01:53:34 AM »

I feel like it was pretty weak considering they had a month of material to sift through

« Reply #17062 on: February 19, 2018, 03:25:49 AM »
Essentially, it comes down to Vávra being an immense asshole. If he were normal, most of this shit would not be a problem. Alas, here we are.

So who exactly was the immense asshole at CDPR who caused people to get their panties in a twist because there were no black folks in TW3?

ooo what's that phrase they love? "Victim blaming"?

They're trying to retroactively justify attackling him because he was mad about them attacking him

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #17063 on: February 19, 2018, 04:04:24 AM »
*reads historical fiction about Charles, duke of Orléans*

Where the black people at?

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #17064 on: February 19, 2018, 04:26:53 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/posts/4695469/

Golden Skyrat still fighting hard to find a way to have random POC traders be in this game for some reason.

I'm sure a random shithole in central bohemia was at the height of trading activity in 1403 :dead
if Khajit can show up in Skyrim, they can fit some negros in Germany
每天生气

Bananas

« Reply #17065 on: February 19, 2018, 05:27:14 AM »
Less than 6 months in and REEE is pretty much neoGAF now

it's a lot worse. it is basically controlled by a few lunatic transsexuals.
Was this post meant for Neofeg? Who are you there, dancinqueen?

If i had some lulz money, i would buy 100 copies and make a thread for free distribution of the game on Reset. Even those shitty anime pedo games don't get the resistance as riled up as this game does.

If I had some lulz money I would buy a big banner ad for thebore.com on RE.
I did this on GAF once. If you do the ad right, you won't even need to spend a lot of money. $10 bucks a day tops. All you need is some sap to notice it and make a thread about it, which they will if it inspires drama.

Demi, can I make an ad and run it on ERA, and if so, what are the rules regarding your strict branding guidelines?

Holy fuck, you spend money on your GAF/Era obsession?  :lol

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #17067 on: February 19, 2018, 05:45:01 AM »
Imagine where you could have been if you kept that money. :O

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #17068 on: February 19, 2018, 06:05:02 AM »

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #17069 on: February 19, 2018, 08:06:20 AM »
Having so many mods and already apparent demotions on RE is pretty bonkers to me. It reeks of something fairly artificial and hastily stitched together.
ὕβρις

Raist

« Reply #17070 on: February 19, 2018, 09:11:06 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urBtAEObqoQ

This review starting to ruffle some feathers on ratata.

In particular Slayven's, for one extra specific reason.

My god i almost clicked on joe rogan to see what he had to say

Nah, when you pause or get to the end when it is embedded it suggests Joe Rogan

I guess he's not aware that recommendations are significantly based on users' viewing history  :heh

agrajag

« Reply #17071 on: February 19, 2018, 09:32:59 AM »
Having so many mods and already apparent demotions on RE is pretty bonkers to me. It reeks of something fairly artificial and hastily stitched together.

Who got demoted? (Besides our very own token disgraced former reee mod)

FStop7

« Reply #17072 on: February 19, 2018, 10:18:13 AM »
lmao hansel banned again.  How many chances do you get on rere?  that has to be his fourth or fifth ban already.

TwEE-N-Toast

« Reply #17073 on: February 19, 2018, 10:20:13 AM »
lmao hansel banned again.  How many chances do you get on rere?  that has to be his fourth or fifth ban already.

Don't be stingy. Share the link.

FStop7

« Reply #17074 on: February 19, 2018, 10:22:22 AM »

I can’t find the post he was banned for.  His profile page isn’t accessible, either.   But it happened recently since this post is from this morning:

https://www.resetera.com/posts/4703554/

Raist

« Reply #17075 on: February 19, 2018, 10:31:41 AM »
The premise of the article is basically since we eat caged chickens we shouldn't blame others for eating cats and dogs. This is like how republicans think, but taken to l extreme on the other political side - devoid of critical thinking. The very act of eating is barbaric, no matter what. Yes, absolutely the cattle we eat must be kept under humane conditions. I think humans realized over time that you can breed cattle for a hundred different things: Milk, eggs, cheese, wool, meat, and even use cow poop as fuel/wall material. Dogs are different than cattle not only in emotional intelligence, but also empathy and loyalty and breeding such intelligent creatures just to eat them is cruel. You can train a dog to dial 911 when someone's in danger. Good luck doing that with a chicken. So we just eat dumb animals? Maybe, but thats how it always has been. People historically resorted to eating cats and dogs when there was a famine or siege, not as a delicacy.

:ohhh

Wait wut hold on a sec

I think humans realized over time that you can breed cattle for a hundred different things: Milk, eggs, cheese, wool, meat, and even use cow poop as fuel/wall material.

cattle [...] eggs, [...] wool,

:PP :nintendo :derp :girlaff :crowdlaff

tummyfat

« Reply #17076 on: February 19, 2018, 10:39:54 AM »

I can’t find the post he was banned for.  His profile page isn’t accessible, either.   But it happened recently since this post is from this morning:

It's a few posts down from there.

https://www.resetera.com/posts/4704690/

First doxxed by benji and now permed

railGUN

• If my bones are breaking would you tell me that I'm weak?
« Reply #17077 on: February 19, 2018, 12:07:24 PM »
Quote from: EviLore
Posting threads on GAF has always been a little intimidating at first.

I felt the same way back in 1999 when I first crossed paths with that incarnation of the forum. I lurked the whole summer, and my first post after registering a few months later in September was (I hope) mature and respectful and substantial...for my 14 years in the world at the time, at least, but I'm sure it tried too hard and said too little (maybe it's in Goodcow's archive; who knows). I respected the community I was joining, is the point, and didn't want to come off as an idiot or an asshole. Bans were definitely strict and swift back then, in a particular context, but if you kept it civil with your fellow member (100% so), you could debate damn near anything with anyone for as long as stubbornness remained in your bones. And if you were a regular, you probably did just that. We hadn't implemented Off-Topic yet, so this was just console wars and the like, but you still had to develop a thick skin as you argued about sales and software and hardware and speculation about everything, without subsection echo chamber "safe spaces" like most forums split their sections into. No, everyone was thrown into one pit on the deep end and had to just figure out how to behave with all types of folks from around the world, from all backgrounds, age ranges, and respective ties to video games. Just a small, tight knit group, but all the same we had hardcore gamers, press, and industry intermingling concurrently in almost every thread; eclectic characters like Deadmeat and Fafalada and the Gaming-Age staff writers (who were the forum admins originally), the latter of whom in many cases moved onward and upward in the games press or industry after leaving G-A. Gaming-Age was just a little fan site covering the typical news and reviews, with a side forum of some note, but those years were all crucial to the trajectories for everyone involved. Gaming-Age co-founder Sam Kennedy went on to start 1up, Patrick Klepek is over at Vice News/Waypoint these days instead of sneaking his way into E3 to guerrilla cover it as a minor, and lots of other folks on that original G-A staff ended up with notable roles to play across the Video Games space.

Me, too, I suppose, though through completely different avenues: the little forum attached to that thing. That's a long story, but the gist is dot-com bubble burst and hurt ad revenue, Gaming-Age and its forum were apparently sharing a server and the forum was using more resources than the "main" site was, but generating little revenue for the trouble. My understanding is that Jim Cordeira felt that his responsibility was to the news/reviews site primarily since he'd been entrusted with it by the other co-founders, and forums are awful server resource hogs and are notoriously difficult to monetize with ads compared to just about any type of site you'll find on the interwebs (and that was prior to adblock and NeoGAF's current 80%+ adblock rate to contend with, mind). The forum was comparatively small and made no money and apparently was causing trouble sharing server space with the other stuff, so it was a pragmatic call at the time. Jim found a home for the community on the soon to be defunct IGN Snowboards platform and set up a smooth, if short-lived, community migration there. Despite being an obnoxious 14-15 year old kid I had built a rapport with the folks like Hitokage (rip) who were doing the actual forum-running behind the scenes (the G-A staff were all granted admin status but were not regularly involved in any forum concerns aside from one or two), and I stepped up consistently to face the challenges of keeping afloat a small nomadic group of worthwhile bastards...somewhere, somehow, since standalone forums were just plain doomed in most cases, and we had effectively become one at that point.

This was all purely volunteer work for me and Hitokage and the rest of the folks who helped with that migration and the ones to follow from 2000-2004. The arrangements were all made from the lowest possible negotiating position on our side. We needed somewhere to hog a bunch of server resources and not produce much ad revenue in return, and had no money. Infinite leverage! Nonetheless, the community and the discussions and the identity of "GAF" mattered to me and a lot of other folks, so we figured it out somehow. A few more migrations after Snowboards died and with increasingly dire day to day circumstances on the forum, the database shit itself, the company that provided the server in exchange for running ads never responded and apparently quietly folded shortly thereafter, and I stubbornly charged ahead to figure out some way to save "GAF" despite the entire database -- posts, users, etc. -- realdeathing on the spot, without us ever having been provided SSH access to the server to, say, I dunno, allow us to back things up every now and again. It was a shitshow and the bad ads the provider filled the site with made it borderline unusable when it was miraculous enough to even load a page thanks to the underpowered box, and it also crashed completely any time we hit a load spike from some breaking news in the games industry. So...perpetual state of shitting itself, with little hope of improvement, directly into death. Fun!

Anyway, despite standalone forums being inherently ultra doomed to start with, despite our server provider loading the site with the worst possible pop-ups and malware ads to maximize profit that we obviously didn't see a dime of (which had understandably pissed everyone in the userbase off and stagnated growth terribly due to poor overall usability), and despite the entire forum database corrupting and requiring us to start from scratch when the Doom came to 2004's GameSquad GAF...despite so many short-lived and increasingly bleak migrations under our belts one after the other to even reach that new tier of suck, $0 in my bank account on a good day while I worked retail 30-50 hours a week retail with an hour commute each way AND did full time CC on top, paying my own way from a starting point of poverty and all, so no magic wands in the inventory to cast Not Completely Fucked and Hopeless...

I shot down anyone in IRC who suggested giving up and moving on. Which was just about everyone, haha. We were all weary, no one had the cash to front to get our own dedicated server running and buy the necessary software licenses and all that, and we lacked a complete set of skills to do so even if we could. The clock was ticking, since that was still perhaps the Golden Age of message boards despite the issues with paying the bills and even landing a reputable ad provider whatsoever, so you only had a week or two before your community would move on and find a new home at one of a thousand other spots and not likely look back too hard.

I've told this story before, but I say this all now because, when I look back at why I was so passionate and stubborn and determined about this relatively inconsequential video game message board continuing to exist during that critical week in 2004, I can see why I gave a damn, mobilized everything in my power to see it stick around, and eventually dropped regular life for doing forum-running as a career when that crossroads presented a couple years farther down. GAF was one of many, many forums, and running a forum isn't anything special in and of itself, but GAF was distinct in tone, cultivated with intent by leadership being there to care about it and steer it, with all the rules and policies and bans and all that operating as an extension of what you try to do from the top down for the sake of the end result:

The vibe, which is what will either bring folks flooding to the registration gates to the point where you have to implement a several month waiting list and all sorts of other hoops to jump through to keep everything manageable, or just leave you with shuttered doors eventually, as most have already.

Either way, I've always thought of it as something vaguely like running a bar or social club. You're at the whims of your patrons in many ways, but there's always something that can be done to nudge and shape it at any given time, working toward that ideal resultant vibe in your mind. Your disposition matters greatly, but you can't always play diplomat and get a positive outcome. Sometimes a hard declaration and bans against the inevitable outrage pushback are necessary in the grand scheme, and sometimes that's done deliberately, especially in emergency interventions. See: "den of cunts" thread back in the day to pull back from tone-deaf censorship that had emerged in the moderation while I was backpacking around; or jumping into various powderkeg threads post-election in the past year in off-topic to say something...err, moderating, since no one else was willing, and then take the dozen account suicides back at me in response and gain another group of internet people with too much time on their hands and a new least favorite person in the world to seethe and plot over, whether I was apparently betraying The Left or The Right or Whatever the Fuck at any given time.

Receiving the bulk of the inevitable and standard hatred and obsession that's generated by a very large message board every day, personally, when you run a place like this...isn't fun, obviously, but it's part of the responsibility I took on and that's okay and I get compensated for it. It takes its toll over time, no matter what, but I've tried to have fun with things in my own way, like lightly trolling people here and there, or being responsible for nearly all the (hopefully) humorous and unattributed thread title changes over the years. Recent events, though: mainstream media scandal, mass exodus and mass account suicide (often carried out as maliciously as possible in attempts to harm the site on the way out), awful hate speech directed at me personally, what felt like the whole world using its internet outrage mechanism to tear me to shreds in the span of an overwhelming 24-48 hours, and the majority of my community apparently neither wanting me here nor thinking I provided anything of value at the helm...

Phew.

Inevitably, you reevaluate the "why" from way back in 2004 and apply it to the present. Why keep at it when the thing you're "supposed" to do is step down regardless of the facts instead of carrying forward, and you made NeoGAF the handsomest and most successful forum of its kind from just a handful of regulars as the seed community and a couple grand in grassroots fundraising, sprinkled with ongoing hard work and a steady enough hand....and belief that I was doing something worthwhile, I suppose, echoing back to my first thoughts about '99 GAF and onward.

Well...is there still something worthwhile to do? Is there still meaning to be doing this? A whole lot of people seem to like the sparkly animated gif with the "EVILORE RETIRE BITCH" in all caps these days, at least last I looked on Twitter, which is as little as possible.

Should I retire? Trolling gif mainly used to avoid getting your Twitter account suspended for telling me to kill myself or w/e while conveying the same general idea, sure, but retirement would be pleasant and it's certainly an uphill battle after being falsely #metooed and scandalized on an international mainstream level and experiencing our first major community splintering ever. The instant, overwhelming hatred directed at me from within my community and subsequent attempts to tear the site apart by its own members wounded me in ways you may not be able to fully appreciate if you haven't been running NeoGAF for half your life. That was different from all the gossip or misanthropy elsewhere, which I'm accustomed to. So, I'm wounded and all that jazz.

But no. The present isn't it.

*Last year*, before October's Facebook Fuckery, is when I wanted to retire, frankly. After the 2016 US election, amid the overwhelming, perpetual negativity and sensationalism about politics here, I was also treated as the Affluent White Cis Straight Male, aka The Enemy, by default to a *lot* of folks here all of a sudden, no matter the substance of my words or the actions I took to back them up. That's not the GAF I signed up for or the vibe I tried to cultivate. I wrote the rules here, but I wrote them with a specific intent to keep open dialogue possible but respectful no matter how fervent the disagreement, not to build this bizarre and impenetrable echo chamber of militant hostility and endless oppression olympics about privilege. We. Don't. Truly. Know. Each. Other.

As per gaming roots here and so forth, I wasn't too pleased with how the Xbox Live generation caustically treated...well, anything and everything they could identify different about someone over a mic, really. And then I went to E3, and then I saw video game studios...oh god. So I had lots of motivation about wanting to do right by our members here....men, women, cis, trans, whatever ethnicity or melanin count or whatever, shouldn't preclude being able to participate fairly like anyone else in the big thrashing ball pit of thoughts and ideas here. The wonderful thing about the internet is how you can set up shop, set whatever rules up, have the authority to enforce the rules, and....see what happens. Again, much operating a real world social space, you aim for a vibe, try to cultivate it, and try to do right by the people who come populate it and act as decent human beings whenever possible, which is all too easily a misplaced toolkit right when we all hop on the internet. The rules here are easy. What comes next may be hard for the folks who haven't dipped their toes into the water yet, but only briefly.

After Brexit and the 2016 US Election and some good ol' fashioned mass forum sabotage by an ex-admin especially, the Off-Topic community here was poisoned beyond recovery, perhaps. Maybe if I had done more at the time, but it's hard to say. Regardless, I didn't feel welcome at the helm of this ship anymore, maybe something akin to Bret Weinstein being chased around Evergreen campus by angry mobs waiting for one false move or an indication of "microaggressions" to do whatever intended deed to oust him. The rudder broke, most of the mod team was super weary and many had openly intended to resign "once things calmed down" from the post-election radicalization and emerging open hostility here. Then "once things calmed down" exploded into the biggest scandal possible instead, alas.

Good ol' #metoo. Made up story, actionable evidence to discredit it, legal case organized in that first month to formally clear the air...yeah, completely pointless to have even devoted energy or resources to defending myself. You're not allowed to be innocent in a #metoo. That powderkeg was going to explode one way or another, either by a blindsiding Facebook post or something manufactured by interested parties or what have you, and I was so deep in depression and PTSD over the course of 2017 that I don't know how much more of the misery and hostility parade I could've survived logging into GAF each morning anyway. I was not hanging on too well. That scandal was a horrible thing to go through on a personal level, at among my all-time weakest on top of that, and I'm still pretty banged up emotionally by it all and everything else in the lead-up to it that put me in such a bleak headspace.

But that's personally. Personally, forum operators are fucked regardless, right? How many counterparts in this industry do I have left, still keeping it indie and running things directly for that matter? On a personal level, this crap wears on you. That's why you'll see me troll or act snarky sometimes or toss diplomacy. Some of it's calculated for effect (just about guaranteed I'm baiting in service of the wider scope of intent if I'm being needlessly confrontational etc., like when I pushed for a moderating influence on #metoo right before I got #metooed, lol) , but some of it is just...staying sane, too, as I close in on two decades behind the helm here.

Professionally, though, it's a different matter entirely. While I did have to go so far as to hire contractors on duty 24/7 for a month to keep hundreds and hundreds of malicious spam/porn/etc. attacks sent our way from our exceedingly honorable and virtuous, noble, infallibly righteous ex-members over at Reset, so those...individuals...wouldn't have the power to completely destroy NeoGAF on the spot in November with that bombardment (in between encouraging me to kill myself, threatening me, blah blah blah, of course, for good measure; fine lot), and I did need some time to center myself and decide who to trust and assemble a heroic team and a fresh gameplan....

...as far as I'm concerned, NeoGAF Off-Topic has been given a desperately needed enema. A ResetEnema, if you will. I care little about that site one way or another, aside from how it ended up serving that purpose quite well.

What drew me to that incarnation of GAF in 1999 and prompted me to join enthusiastically, then become a volunteer admin for the community, then step up to run this joint when no one else wanted it or thought it could be salvaged? Mmm. I saw GAF as a Babylon 5 of sorts, where devs and press and gamers argued about things on relatively neutral ground, and appeals to authority didn't tend to accomplish much. You were as good as the content of your message and the inevitable defense of it, to withstand from this bright and savvy and weird group of very different people who'd keep you on your toes and impart some of their knowledge, too, if you kept your ego in check and listened on occasion on your end. Yeah, and I liked video games, too, and I've taken the concept of not splitting everything down into platform-specific sub-sections very seriously despite the thousandfold growth, since that big ball pit we all have to dive into to talk about video games is only a safe space for sound arguments and supporting evidence, not a safe space for however Nintendo or Sony makes you feel in your privates. As we continue to rebuild this place, consider why NeoGAF was special to begin with as a gaming forum and why I fought so damned hard to save it back in 2004,. Let's reflect on what transpired here on Off-Topic across 2017 by contrast.

You must exit your comfort zone and talk to people of different worldviews and politics and preferences, say what you have to say, and get along with each other at the end of the day, because in this place you are surrounded by people who are different. This is a very international forum, and your life experiences won't match the next user's. Your culture won't match the next user's. Your current struggles won't match the next user's. Take a deep breath, stop assuming everything someone's typing is "disingenuous" and consider engaging in earnest regardless, stay respectful because I FUCKING INSIST, for starters, and also because how you react reflects on your character, not just their outbound verbiage reflecting on them in whatever way you think it does.

It used to be that getting along in one giant shared ball pit was the seemingly insurmountable battle against entropy slash awesome unique selling point for NeoGAF's Gaming side, but where Gaming barely needs any proactive moderation these days to maintain its intended vibe, Off-Topic experienced catastrophic failure to an unprecedented degree in this community's history.

I'm back at the helm properly, motivated and with purpose, and our load has been lightened enough to get that rudder functioning as it should. My sysadmin squad and mod team are hand-picked and here for the sake of NeoGAF's future, likewise. That Gaming Side vibe we managed somehow, despite all the stratification across hardware "teams" by default and this idea of "winning" that always accompanies it..........let all that go here on Off-Topic, too, not inhumanly so, but as much as you're able in order to have a conversation in earnest with someone you may have prejudged as on the "opposing team." I have been doing so with my recent posts, attempting to better reconcile my online interactions with how I act toward people in real life.........................and nothing scary has happened, just conversation and occasional insight.

Act like you would meeting a mix of new and old faces at the bar, some visiting from out of town, and a few drinks later you find out what everyone's politics roughly look like. I'm assuming you don't duel them to the death or try to ruin their life by way of viral social media outrage campaign. Since you're not doing that. Either way, I don't care who you are, I don't care what your chromosomes show or what dangly bits you have or who you do or don't share beds with, or your melanin count or your level of education or where you were born, just about. It's all good. Overwhelmingly more important is simply the content you send outbound to our servers and the consideration that went into it, along with your behavior toward the other members of the community as you take part, especially when in disagreement or confrontation. There is no echo chamber police anymore, as you can see. There is just moderation, and moderation -- like moderate -- is not a dirty word.

I want you to be comfortable being "you" here if you so desire in terms of identity (unless your identity revolves around gassing Ze Jews or toppling Ze Imperialist Regime or whatever; be chill), without unprompted hatred or harassment in response as per the rules we've had here since day 1, but I also fundamentally don't give much of a shit about what persona you're presenting on my video game message board since there are fake people abound in real life, never mind on this crazy-ass wild west internet. Aside from the uncommon instances in which we do know each other (or, in many cases, where one party may think they "know" the other party...cough), we're all strangers from around the world, connected by some common interests or the threads of fate (aka fiber optics), and tasked with...well, what are we tasked with, here on off-topic? It bears asking that question, too.

I think...we're tasked with shooting the shit, learning from each other along the way when possible, having fun, sharing experiences and navigating the bullshit that constitutes modern life, while striving for positive outcomes all around. I, for one, am done with misery and hate. Had my fill for one lifetime.

Share this fresh heading with me and my team, and Off-Topic's intended vibe won't be too far beyond the horizon. We're already en route.

Thanks.

-Tyler

:comeon
Fish<

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #17078 on: February 19, 2018, 12:07:39 PM »

Sorry, it's never okay to comment on a woman's body.
:salute

Averon

« Reply #17079 on: February 19, 2018, 12:15:56 PM »
Is that the longest Evilore diatribe yet?

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #17080 on: February 19, 2018, 12:18:13 PM »
The very act of eating is barbaric, no matter what.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #17081 on: February 19, 2018, 12:27:15 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/boom-turns-to-bust-for-millennials-across-advanced-economies.24337/#post-4707468

I make 23k a year with over 10 years experience in IT. I live in a trailer. lol (single dad in Texas)

WHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHAT
Dude must suck at IT.

What's the use in being a disgrace to business professionals if they're not even going to pay you well for it?
que

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #17082 on: February 19, 2018, 12:33:00 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urBtAEObqoQ

This review starting to ruffle some feathers on ratata.

In particular Slayven's, for one extra specific reason.

My god i almost clicked on joe rogan to see what he had to say

Nah, when you pause or get to the end when it is embedded it suggests Joe Rogan

I guess he's not aware that recommendations are significantly based on users' viewing history  :heh

Uses Walter Wanderley's Rainforest in the background, so it's alright with me.

Leadbelly

« Reply #17083 on: February 19, 2018, 12:52:38 PM »
So the National Labor Relations Board states Google legally fired Damore (has nothing to do with the court case). There are a number of points in the Labor Board memo that are clearly false, but it is this quote in particular that I found quite fucking astounding.

https://apps.nlrb.gov/link/document.aspx/09031d45826e6391
statements about immutable traits linked to sex—such as women’s heightened neuroticism and men’s prevalence at the top of the IQ distribution—were discriminatory and constituted sexual harassment

Now, ridiculously absurd notions of sexual harassment like this you would expect from your average RE member, but from a Government agency, really? Wow.

FStop7

« Reply #17084 on: February 19, 2018, 12:55:18 PM »

I felt the same way back in 1999 when I first crossed paths with that incarnation of the forum. I lurked the whole summer, and my first post after registering a few months later in September was (I hope) mature and respectful and substantial...for my 14 years in the world at the time, at least, but I'm sure it tried too hard and said too little (maybe it's in Goodcow's archive; who knows). I respected the community I was joining, is the point, and didn't want to come off as an idiot or an asshole. Bans were definitely strict and swift back then, in a particular context, but if you kept it civil with your fellow member (100% so), you could debate damn near anything with anyone for as long as stubbornness remained in your bones. And if you were a regular, you probably did just that. We hadn't implemented Off-Topic yet, so this was just console wars and the like, but you still had to develop a thick skin as you argued about sales and software and hardware and speculation about everything, without subsection echo chamber "safe spaces" like most forums split their sections into. No, everyone was thrown into one pit on the deep end and had to just figure out how to behave with all types of folks from around the world, from all backgrounds, age ranges, and respective ties to video games. Just a small, tight knit group, but all the same we had hardcore gamers, press, and industry intermingling concurrently in almost every thread; eclectic characters like Deadmeat and Fafalada and the Gaming-Age staff writers (who were the forum admins originally), the latter of whom in many cases moved onward and upward in the games press or industry after leaving G-A. Gaming-Age was just a little fan site covering the typical news and reviews, with a side forum of some note, but those years were all crucial to the trajectories for everyone involved. Gaming-Age co-founder Sam Kennedy went on to start 1up, Patrick Klepek is over at Vice News/Waypoint these days instead of sneaking his way into E3 to guerrilla cover it as a minor, and lots of other folks on that original G-A staff ended up with notable roles to play across the Video Games space.

Me, too, I suppose, though through completely different avenues: the little forum attached to that thing. That's a long story, but the gist is dot-com bubble burst and hurt ad revenue, Gaming-Age and its forum were apparently sharing a server and the forum was using more resources than the "main" site was, but generating little revenue for the trouble. My understanding is that Jim Cordeira felt that his responsibility was to the news/reviews site primarily since he'd been entrusted with it by the other co-founders, and forums are awful server resource hogs and are notoriously difficult to monetize with ads compared to just about any type of site you'll find on the interwebs (and that was prior to adblock and NeoGAF's current 80%+ adblock rate to contend with, mind). The forum was comparatively small and made no money and apparently was causing trouble sharing server space with the other stuff, so it was a pragmatic call at the time. Jim found a home for the community on the soon to be defunct IGN Snowboards platform and set up a smooth, if short-lived, community migration there. Despite being an obnoxious 14-15 year old kid I had built a rapport with the folks like Hitokage (rip) who were doing the actual forum-running behind the scenes (the G-A staff were all granted admin status but were not regularly involved in any forum concerns aside from one or two), and I stepped up consistently to face the challenges of keeping afloat a small nomadic group of worthwhile bastards...somewhere, somehow, since standalone forums were just plain doomed in most cases, and we had effectively become one at that point.

This was all purely volunteer work for me and Hitokage and the rest of the folks who helped with that migration and the ones to follow from 2000-2004. The arrangements were all made from the lowest possible negotiating position on our side. We needed somewhere to hog a bunch of server resources and not produce much ad revenue in return, and had no money. Infinite leverage! Nonetheless, the community and the discussions and the identity of "GAF" mattered to me and a lot of other folks, so we figured it out somehow. A few more migrations after Snowboards died and with increasingly dire day to day circumstances on the forum, the database shit itself, the company that provided the server in exchange for running ads never responded and apparently quietly folded shortly thereafter, and I stubbornly charged ahead to figure out some way to save "GAF" despite the entire database -- posts, users, etc. -- realdeathing on the spot, without us ever having been provided SSH access to the server to, say, I dunno, allow us to back things up every now and again. It was a shitshow and the bad ads the provider filled the site with made it borderline unusable when it was miraculous enough to even load a page thanks to the underpowered box, and it also crashed completely any time we hit a load spike from some breaking news in the games industry. So...perpetual state of shitting itself, with little hope of improvement, directly into death. Fun!

Anyway, despite standalone forums being inherently ultra doomed to start with, despite our server provider loading the site with the worst possible pop-ups and malware ads to maximize profit that we obviously didn't see a dime of (which had understandably pissed everyone in the userbase off and stagnated growth terribly due to poor overall usability), and despite the entire forum database corrupting and requiring us to start from scratch when the Doom came to 2004's GameSquad GAF...despite so many short-lived and increasingly bleak migrations under our belts one after the other to even reach that new tier of suck, $0 in my bank account on a good day while I worked retail 30-50 hours a week retail with an hour commute each way AND did full time CC on top, paying my own way from a starting point of poverty and all, so no magic wands in the inventory to cast Not Completely Fucked and Hopeless...

I shot down anyone in IRC who suggested giving up and moving on. Which was just about everyone, haha. We were all weary, no one had the cash to front to get our own dedicated server running and buy the necessary software licenses and all that, and we lacked a complete set of skills to do so even if we could. The clock was ticking, since that was still perhaps the Golden Age of message boards despite the issues with paying the bills and even landing a reputable ad provider whatsoever, so you only had a week or two before your community would move on and find a new home at one of a thousand other spots and not likely look back too hard.

I've told this story before, but I say this all now because, when I look back at why I was so passionate and stubborn and determined about this relatively inconsequential video game message board continuing to exist during that critical week in 2004, I can see why I gave a damn, mobilized everything in my power to see it stick around, and eventually dropped regular life for doing forum-running as a career when that crossroads presented a couple years farther down. GAF was one of many, many forums, and running a forum isn't anything special in and of itself, but GAF was distinct in tone, cultivated with intent by leadership being there to care about it and steer it, with all the rules and policies and bans and all that operating as an extension of what you try to do from the top down for the sake of the end result:

The vibe, which is what will either bring folks flooding to the registration gates to the point where you have to implement a several month waiting list and all sorts of other hoops to jump through to keep everything manageable, or just leave you with shuttered doors eventually, as most have already.

Either way, I've always thought of it as something vaguely like running a bar or social club. You're at the whims of your patrons in many ways, but there's always something that can be done to nudge and shape it at any given time, working toward that ideal resultant vibe in your mind. Your disposition matters greatly, but you can't always play diplomat and get a positive outcome. Sometimes a hard declaration and bans against the inevitable outrage pushback are necessary in the grand scheme, and sometimes that's done deliberately, especially in emergency interventions. See: "den of cunts" thread back in the day to pull back from tone-deaf censorship that had emerged in the moderation while I was backpacking around; or jumping into various powderkeg threads post-election in the past year in off-topic to say something...err, moderating, since no one else was willing, and then take the dozen account suicides back at me in response and gain another group of internet people with too much time on their hands and a new least favorite person in the world to seethe and plot over, whether I was apparently betraying The Left or The Right or Whatever the Fuck at any given time.

Receiving the bulk of the inevitable and standard hatred and obsession that's generated by a very large message board every day, personally, when you run a place like this...isn't fun, obviously, but it's part of the responsibility I took on and that's okay and I get compensated for it. It takes its toll over time, no matter what, but I've tried to have fun with things in my own way, like lightly trolling people here and there, or being responsible for nearly all the (hopefully) humorous and unattributed thread title changes over the years. Recent events, though: mainstream media scandal, mass exodus and mass account suicide (often carried out as maliciously as possible in attempts to harm the site on the way out), awful hate speech directed at me personally, what felt like the whole world using its internet outrage mechanism to tear me to shreds in the span of an overwhelming 24-48 hours, and the majority of my community apparently neither wanting me here nor thinking I provided anything of value at the helm...

Phew.

Inevitably, you reevaluate the "why" from way back in 2004 and apply it to the present. Why keep at it when the thing you're "supposed" to do is step down regardless of the facts instead of carrying forward, and you made NeoGAF the handsomest and most successful forum of its kind from just a handful of regulars as the seed community and a couple grand in grassroots fundraising, sprinkled with ongoing hard work and a steady enough hand....and belief that I was doing something worthwhile, I suppose, echoing back to my first thoughts about '99 GAF and onward.

Well...is there still something worthwhile to do? Is there still meaning to be doing this? A whole lot of people seem to like the sparkly animated gif with the "EVILORE RETIRE BITCH" in all caps these days, at least last I looked on Twitter, which is as little as possible.

Should I retire? Trolling gif mainly used to avoid getting your Twitter account suspended for telling me to kill myself or w/e while conveying the same general idea, sure, but retirement would be pleasant and it's certainly an uphill battle after being falsely #metooed and scandalized on an international mainstream level and experiencing our first major community splintering ever. The instant, overwhelming hatred directed at me from within my community and subsequent attempts to tear the site apart by its own members wounded me in ways you may not be able to fully appreciate if you haven't been running NeoGAF for half your life. That was different from all the gossip or misanthropy elsewhere, which I'm accustomed to. So, I'm wounded and all that jazz.

*Last year*, before October's Facebook Fuckery, is when I wanted to retire, frankly. After the 2016 US election, amid the overwhelming, perpetual negativity and sensationalism about politics here, I was also treated as the Affluent White Cis Straight Male, aka The Enemy, by default to a *lot* of folks here all of a sudden, no matter the substance of my words or the actions I took to back them up. That's not the GAF I signed up for or the vibe I tried to cultivate. I wrote the rules here, but I wrote them with a specific intent to keep open dialogue possible but respectful no matter how fervent the disagreement, not to build this bizarre and impenetrable echo chamber of militant hostility and endless oppression olympics about privilege. We. Don't. Truly. Know. Each. Other.

As per gaming roots here and so forth, I wasn't too pleased with how the Xbox Live generation caustically treated...well, anything and everything they could identify different about someone over a mic, really. And then I went to E3, and then I saw video game studios...oh god. So I had lots of motivation about wanting to do right by our members here....men, women, cis, trans, whatever ethnicity or melanin count or whatever, shouldn't preclude being able to participate fairly like anyone else in the big thrashing ball pit of thoughts and ideas here. The wonderful thing about the internet is how you can set up shop, set whatever rules up, have the authority to enforce the rules, and....see what happens. Again, much operating a real world social space, you aim for a vibe, try to cultivate it, and try to do right by the people who come populate it and act as decent human beings whenever possible, which is all too easily a misplaced toolkit right when we all hop on the internet. The rules here are easy. What comes next may be hard for the folks who haven't dipped their toes into the water yet, but only briefly.

After Brexit and the 2016 US Election and some good ol' fashioned mass forum sabotage by an ex-admin especially, the Off-Topic community here was poisoned beyond recovery, perhaps. Maybe if I had done more at the time, but it's hard to say. Regardless, I didn't feel welcome at the helm of this ship anymore, maybe something akin to Bret Weinstein being chased around Evergreen campus by angry mobs waiting for one false move or an indication of "microaggressions" to do whatever intended deed to oust him. The rudder broke, most of the mod team was super weary and many had openly intended to resign "once things calmed down" from the post-election radicalization and emerging open hostility here. Then "once things calmed down" exploded into the biggest scandal possible instead, alas.

Good ol' #metoo. Made up story, actionable evidence to discredit it, legal case organized in that first month to formally clear the air...yeah, completely pointless to have even devoted energy or resources to defending myself. You're not allowed to be innocent in a #metoo. That powderkeg was going to explode one way or another, either by a blindsiding Facebook post or something manufactured by interested parties or what have you, and I was so deep in depression and PTSD over the course of 2017 that I don't know how much more of the misery and hostility parade I could've survived logging into GAF each morning anyway. I was not hanging on too well. That scandal was a horrible thing to go through on a personal level, at among my all-time weakest on top of that, and I'm still pretty banged up emotionally by it all and everything else in the lead-up to it that put me in such a bleak headspace.

But that's personally. Personally, forum operators are fucked regardless, right? How many counterparts in this industry do I have left, still keeping it indie and running things directly for that matter? On a personal level, this crap wears on you. That's why you'll see me troll or act snarky sometimes or toss diplomacy. Some of it's calculated for effect (just about guaranteed I'm baiting in service of the wider scope of intent if I'm being needlessly confrontational etc., like when I pushed for a moderating influence on #metoo right before I got #metooed, lol) , but some of it is just...staying sane, too, as I close in on two decades behind the helm here.

Professionally, though, it's a different matter entirely. While I did have to go so far as to hire contractors on duty 24/7 for a month to keep hundreds and hundreds of malicious spam/porn/etc. attacks sent our way from our exceedingly honorable and virtuous, noble, infallibly righteous ex-members over at Reset, so those...individuals...wouldn't have the power to completely destroy NeoGAF on the spot in November with that bombardment (in between encouraging me to kill myself, threatening me, blah blah blah, of course, for good measure; fine lot), and I did need some time to center myself and decide who to trust and assemble a heroic team and a fresh gameplan....

...as far as I'm concerned, NeoGAF Off-Topic has been given a desperately needed enema. A ResetEnema, if you will. I care little about that site one way or another, aside from how it ended up serving that purpose quite well.

What drew me to that incarnation of GAF in 1999 and prompted me to join enthusiastically, then become a volunteer admin for the community, then step up to run this joint when no one else wanted it or thought it could be salvaged? Mmm. I saw GAF as a Babylon 5 of sorts, where devs and press and gamers argued about things on relatively neutral ground, and appeals to authority didn't tend to accomplish much. You were as good as the content of your message and the inevitable defense of it, to withstand from this bright and savvy and weird group of very different people who'd keep you on your toes and impart some of their knowledge, too, if you kept your ego in check and listened on occasion on your end. Yeah, and I liked video games, too, and I've taken the concept of not splitting everything down into platform-specific sub-sections very seriously despite the thousandfold growth, since that big ball pit we all have to dive into to talk about video games is only a safe space for sound arguments and supporting evidence, not a safe space for however Nintendo or Sony makes you feel in your privates. As we continue to rebuild this place, consider why NeoGAF was special to begin with as a gaming forum and why I fought so damned hard to save it back in 2004,. Let's reflect on what transpired here on Off-Topic across 2017 by contrast.

You must exit your comfort zone and talk to people of different worldviews and politics and preferences, say what you have to say, and get along with each other at the end of the day, because in this place you are surrounded by people who are different. This is a very international forum, and your life experiences won't match the next user's. Your culture won't match the next user's. Your current struggles won't match the next user's. Take a deep breath, stop assuming everything someone's typing is "disingenuous" and consider engaging in earnest regardless, stay respectful because I FUCKING INSIST, for starters, and also because how you react reflects on your character, not just their outbound verbiage reflecting on them in whatever way you think it does.

It used to be that getting along in one giant shared ball pit was the seemingly insurmountable battle against entropy slash awesome unique selling point for NeoGAF's Gaming side, but where Gaming barely needs any proactive moderation these days to maintain its intended vibe, Off-Topic experienced catastrophic failure to an unprecedented degree in this community's history.

I'm back at the helm properly, motivated and with purpose, and our load has been lightened enough to get that rudder functioning as it should. My sysadmin squad and mod team are hand-picked and here for the sake of NeoGAF's future, likewise. That Gaming Side vibe we managed somehow, despite all the stratification across hardware "teams" by default and this idea of "winning" that always accompanies it..........let all that go here on Off-Topic, too, not inhumanly so, but as much as you're able in order to have a conversation in earnest with someone you may have prejudged as on the "opposing team." I have been doing so with my recent posts, attempting to better reconcile my online interactions with how I act toward people in real life.........................and nothing scary has happened, just conversation and occasional insight.

Act like you would meeting a mix of new and old faces at the bar, some visiting from out of town, and a few drinks later you find out what everyone's politics roughly look like. I'm assuming you don't duel them to the death or try to ruin their life by way of viral social media outrage campaign. Since you're not doing that. Either way, I don't care who you are, I don't care what your chromosomes show or what dangly bits you have or who you do or don't share beds with, or your melanin count or your level of education or where you were born, just about. It's all good. Overwhelmingly more important is simply the content you send outbound to our servers and the consideration that went into it, along with your behavior toward the other members of the community as you take part, especially when in disagreement or confrontation. There is no echo chamber police anymore, as you can see. There is just moderation, and moderation -- like moderate -- is not a dirty word.

I want you to be comfortable being "you" here if you so desire in terms of identity (unless your identity revolves around gassing Ze Jews or toppling Ze Imperialist Regime or whatever; be chill), without unprompted hatred or harassment in response as per the rules we've had here since day 1, but I also fundamentally don't give much of a shit about what persona you're presenting on my video game message board since there are fake people abound in real life, never mind on this crazy-ass wild west internet. Aside from the uncommon instances in which we do know each other (or, in many cases, where one party may think they "know" the other party...cough), we're all strangers from around the world, connected by some common interests or the threads of fate (aka fiber optics), and tasked with...well, what are we tasked with, here on off-topic? It bears asking that question, too.

I think...we're tasked with shooting the shit, learning from each other along the way when possible, having fun, sharing experiences and navigating the bullshit that constitutes modern life, while striving for positive outcomes all around. I, for one, am done with misery and hate. Had my fill for one lifetime.

Share this fresh heading with me and my team, and Off-Topic's intended vibe won't be too far beyond the horizon. We're already en route.

Thanks.

-Tyler

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #17085 on: February 19, 2018, 12:59:21 PM »
Well, GAF imploded on Saturday Oct 21st. By the very next day on Sunday the 22nd Cerium announced on the discord that a new forum was prepared to launch on Monday (it ended up being delayed a few days to the 25th).

If that isn't a hasty, opportunistic power grab I'm not sure what is. I guess there is something to striking while the iron is hot, just the "hot iron" in this case was the burning wreckage of EviLore's career.

Coitus

« Reply #17086 on: February 19, 2018, 01:03:20 PM »
“I was totally going to sue and clear my name but I decided it wasn’t worth it.”  How many of these posts sucking his own dick and bemoaning the cruel cruel world is he going to make?  What a fucking whiny, self-pitying shower pest.

Jansen

« Reply #17087 on: February 19, 2018, 01:15:31 PM »

User Banned (permanent): Disingenuous concern trolling, history of trolling and disingenuous posts.

And yet cream is free to troll uninhibited. The mod bias is palpable.

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #17088 on: February 19, 2018, 01:26:03 PM »

Phew.

Thanks.

-Tyler

Goddamn. This makes benji posts look like Cliff Notes.
serge

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #17089 on: February 19, 2018, 01:27:38 PM »

Phew.

Thanks.

-Tyler

©@©™

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #17090 on: February 19, 2018, 01:30:52 PM »
NeoGAF was only special because they recognized the value of stealing NPD numbers and posting them up for all the fanboys to consume and weaponize against each other.`

Stolen content from other sites and a loosely moderated forum for rabid fanboys to snipe at each other. That's the secret sauce that grew GAF.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #17091 on: February 19, 2018, 01:31:10 PM »
Man, Hitman 2's trailer was absolutely fantastic.

Raist

« Reply #17092 on: February 19, 2018, 01:34:10 PM »
Why don't the admins here show us they care too by writing mini-novellas :fbm

etiolate

« Reply #17093 on: February 19, 2018, 01:35:44 PM »
I'll explain Tyler with one little anecdote.

Many years ago, I hung out in the gaf IRC room. The mods and regulars hung out there, too. During one of Evilore's little anger spouts, I told him that too much of his identity and life revolved around the forum. I said if he really had the money he claimed to have then he should go out, get away and take a vacation.

So he went out... and traveled the world... to meet up with GAF people.

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #17094 on: February 19, 2018, 01:57:31 PM »
Someone should be compiling his recent navel-gazey posts and editing them for release as an Amazon ebook. Interview with the Shower Nosferatu.
serge

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17095 on: February 19, 2018, 01:59:20 PM »

Phew.

Thanks.

-Tyler

POST THE FUCKING THREAD URL THAT THIS CAME FROM
:kinison
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17096 on: February 19, 2018, 02:01:30 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/michael-rapaport-is-fuding-with-barstool-on-twitter-just-got-fired.24242/
Quote from: MrPink, post: 4690947, member: 17577
I'm not particularly familiar with Barstool Sports but that sure is a sea of white males.
ど助平

railGUN

• If my bones are breaking would you tell me that I'm weak?
Fish<

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #17098 on: February 19, 2018, 02:05:22 PM »
Could someone quote that slab of text some more?

Thanks.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17099 on: February 19, 2018, 02:07:09 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/game-sack-the-youtube-retro-show-where-sega-and-nintendo-fans-review-games.2113/page-2#post-4714697

GameSack is a Youtube channel where these two guys just upload footage of talk about retro games.  That's it...nothing remotely offensive.  Guess they made a mistake by dropping the Alpha-bomb in their latest video:

Quote from: chalkitdown, post: 4687759, member: 8054
**AlphaOmegaSin WARNING**

Decent episode otherwise.
Quote from: Morfeo, post: 4705981, member: 6249
Really disappointing that they have something to do with a guy like him. But yeah, otherwise a decent episode.
Quote from: Fercho, post: 4714285, member: 30544
I'm very sad that they are friend with that cringie dirt bag AlphaOmegaSin. Don't know if unsub or not. Really enjoy their videos :s

To note, all they did in their latest video is name-drop the guy, like "hey I bought these games when I was shopping with AlphaOmegaSin."  And I made the mistake of asking why they hate him so much.

Quote from: Mr-Joker, post: 4714575, member: 3815
Dude's a gamergate and is one of those people who belittles anyone who complain about controversial topic, like racism in gaming in gaming as Social Studies Warrior.

He is not a nice man.
Quote from: Nappael, post: 4714697, member: 1849
Yeah, he is a full on gamergater and proud of it.
Quote from: FormatCompatible, post: 4714754, member: 959
If you don't want to give Alphaomegasin any clicks, Shaun did a video about Cuphead that features the guy creating a fake outrage on the spot about the game. That's the kind of content you can expect from aos.

[MEDIA=youtube]_-P9_oUV9Gw[/MEDIA]

I haven't watched one of his videos in a couple of years, but the only thing I remember about him is him talking about Social Studies Warrior-lord-Sarkeesian, so maybe that's what they're all uppity about?  When I looked it up, I found this.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/people/alphaomegasin
Controversy
Anita Sarkeesian

On January 25th, 2015, media critic Anita Sarkeesian from Feminist Frequency posted a tweet on Twitter about ‘angry YouTubers’ that strawmans & slanders her, using a photo of AlphaOmegaSin ranting about disagreeing with her as one of the examples. AlphaOmegaSin made another rant video[8] of Anita Sarkeesian calling her out from her Twitter account.
NeoGAF

Internet discussion and video game forum NeoGAF are unhappy that AlphaOmegaSin, a good friend of James Rolfe and Mike Matei was in Cinemassacre’s James & Mike Mondays video because of his support for GamerGate. A thread on Reddit’s KotakuInAction[9] was submitted about NeoGAF trying to get James’ attention to demand him to blacklist AlphaOmegaSin for being a ‘Gamergater’.

Jesus christ.  :lol ::)
ど助平