Author Topic: RedLetterMedia Thread  (Read 224194 times)

Uncle

• Have You Ever
Re: RedLetterMedia Thread
« Reply #660 on: February 05, 2019, 07:43:27 AM »
Why the fuck would you draw this shit out with zero elements of humor

Why is the last panel about smugly patting yourself on the back for recognizing your own entertainment privilege still showing him watching RLM anyway

Isn't "dick the birthday boy" making light of pedophilia
Uncle

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #661 on: February 05, 2019, 07:57:25 AM »
Uncle

Boredfrom

« Reply #662 on: February 05, 2019, 09:47:55 AM »
Why the fuck would you draw this shit out with zero elements of humor

Because she can’t do humor.

Why is the last panel about smugly patting yourself on the back for recognizing your own entertainment privilege still showing him watching RLM anyway

Because deep down she doesn’t care. Is just posturing and get in Twitter fights.

Isn't "dick the birthday boy" making light of pedophilia

Being fair, is making fun of Rich Evans above all.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #663 on: February 05, 2019, 11:00:34 AM »
Problematic a lot
ὕβρις

paprikastaude

« Reply #664 on: February 06, 2019, 10:34:16 AM »
if only I could get some juicy yt recommendations out of RLM :fbm but I don't spend every other internet minute on searching for things I can screech at, so I guess that's why it's not happening.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #665 on: February 06, 2019, 10:51:56 AM »
Remember Mike always says "That's RIGHT Jay"   :mike
Uncle

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #666 on: February 06, 2019, 06:03:02 PM »
🤴

paprikastaude

« Reply #667 on: February 10, 2019, 02:47:28 PM »

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #668 on: February 11, 2019, 12:02:22 AM »
I want to make a coffee table out of that block :noah

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #669 on: February 11, 2019, 08:08:37 AM »
All it was missing was some spray paint and I would expect to see something like that  in a local modern art display.

The best part of that video was reading all the tilted nerds who took offense to it on Reddit. You can tell it hits them right in their nostalgia-hoarding hearts.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 08:42:48 AM by ToxicAdam »

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #670 on: February 14, 2019, 11:18:11 AM »
Uncle

ToxicAdam

« Reply #671 on: February 14, 2019, 01:27:25 PM »

At the end of 2011, Jay has a list of nerd movies coming out in 2012 that he's excited to see.

Prometheus. The Hobbit. The Dark Knight Rises.

Can't blame him on Prometheus. Those early trailers and studio PR shots were so fucking good.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #672 on: February 14, 2019, 01:41:16 PM »
Yeah I know I was hyped for it, too. Just lol'd that all the movies he listed ended up being notoriously disappointing movies.

Although I still quite enjoy Prometheus despite all of its problems, of which there are many and there isn't really any defending them.
You're not alone.
I even enjoyed Covenant, despite being a flaming turd of a movie.
It's just that the Alien universe has really good vibes, i guess (and incredible production design).

Rahxephon91

« Reply #673 on: February 14, 2019, 02:09:50 PM »
Alien Covenant is so bad it retroactively made me like Prometheus.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #674 on: February 18, 2019, 01:53:59 AM »
The flute scene   :era

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #675 on: February 21, 2019, 02:12:55 PM »

Wheel of the Worst has returned to us in this, our darkest hour.
©@©™

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #676 on: February 21, 2019, 02:22:56 PM »
YES

Uncle

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #677 on: February 21, 2019, 03:32:27 PM »
Wheels of the worst are top level entertainment :lawd

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #678 on: February 22, 2019, 12:36:10 PM »
I was pissed at first they didn’t do “How to sell thousands of dollars worth of plants from your home, even if your home is surrounded by discount stores and home improvement stores” but the Rem Lezar bit was an all-time classic. It deserves to go on the shelf of fame.

Also, lol @ Mike derailing ( ;) ) the voting by refusing to let Rem Lezar get the sweep.
©@©™

Boredfrom

« Reply #679 on: February 22, 2019, 01:11:48 PM »
I was pissed at first they didn’t do “How to sell thousands of dollars worth of plants from your home, even if your home is surrounded by discount stores and home improvement stores" but the Rem Lezar bit was an all-time classic. It deserves to go on the shelf of fame.

Also, lol @ Mike derailing ( ;) ) the voting by refusing to let Rem Lezar get the sweep.

It sounds like a Light Novel title.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #680 on: February 23, 2019, 08:22:43 PM »
I asked my roomate for any specific botw recs, watched #16 edged weapons.  :delicious
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 11:21:22 AM by D3RANG3D »

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #681 on: February 23, 2019, 09:22:02 PM »
I asked ny roomate for any specific botw recs, watched #16 edged weapons.  :delicious

©@©™

paprikastaude

« Reply #682 on: March 08, 2019, 04:54:12 PM »

Rahxephon91

« Reply #683 on: March 09, 2019, 03:36:35 AM »
Damn it we have to wait for part 2!

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #684 on: March 11, 2019, 01:02:14 PM »
Poor Jay and Mike never recovered from Man of Steel. That's the real turning point in HITB where they start getting more and more cynical and never ease off the gas again.

Yeah it almost feels like as a movie review show it's winding down, you can tell they have zero interest in most mainstream movies anymore

I could watch them do deep dives on stuff like Suspiria forever though, I hope it never stops being fun for them
Uncle

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #685 on: March 11, 2019, 09:21:31 PM »
They're gonna get roasted for their comments in this one

Feels like a switch has flipped a bit and they're fed up with the commentary surrounding movies

They actually use the phrase "virtue signaling" unironically and that's an alt-right buzzword so I guess it's all over
Uncle

ToxicAdam

« Reply #686 on: March 12, 2019, 12:31:04 AM »
I loved Jay’s bit on how all this faux political talk is just to get free publicity for a soulless corporation and EVERYONE can’t help but engage in it. I wish they just ended it right there shaming everyone, but then Mike had to eviscerate Brie Larson for 10 minutes afterwards and it almost negates all the shit Jay said.

That opening bit on Milwaukee was fucking gold, tho.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #687 on: March 12, 2019, 02:10:08 AM »
Nailed it :rejoice

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #688 on: March 12, 2019, 08:13:18 AM »
must admit that seeing someone claim that their form of activism is being paid millions of dollars to star in the most guaranteed sure fire hit possible from a media empire which strong arms cinemas into giving it special service sure did trigger my timbers.

i wish it would all go away. it's all so tiresome.

paprikastaude

« Reply #689 on: March 12, 2019, 12:54:42 PM »
new hitb?

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #690 on: March 12, 2019, 02:12:21 PM »
Yeah I can never remember what's supposed to be going on with Plinkett anymore, they seem to be done with grand subplots which is fine

Although their last conclusion with the volcano god was pretty great
Uncle

paprikastaude

« Reply #691 on: March 12, 2019, 06:22:26 PM »
 :holeup glad I didn't follow any of the drama sorrounding this movie, it's not like generic disney tripe is even worth the hassle. And thankfully where I live reviewing movies hasn't become a political issue for idiots yet.

RLM providing that sweet cycnial reason though :delicious

paprikastaude

« Reply #692 on: March 12, 2019, 10:12:40 PM »
They ultimately agreed with Brie Larson's sentiment, just not the way she put it out there, and it didn't impact their view of the movie, nor was any of that involved in the movie itself. One recommended it, the other didn't but not out of thinking it was terrible or bleh women :yuck but out of boredom of an unnecessary story in an already too bogged down with characters and MacGuffins universe. Absolutely nothing for RE types to get their jimmies rustled. The super cut of nothing but people of color/women doing pressers with Star Wars casts right after she said that people other than white dudes would like to talk to the Star Wars people  :lol

This isn't anything like their Ghostbusters 2016 discussion where they accused Sony (and Paul Feig)  of intentionally publicizing and possibly even encouraging the sexist backlash for PR purposes.

:gurl

(Image removed from quote.)

paprikastaude

« Reply #693 on: April 12, 2019, 03:30:51 PM »
WHERES THE NERD CREW REACTION FOR EPISODE 9

also I might be confusing channels, but was it RLM that predicted JJ would revert things to the point of fixing Kylo's mask? Because that's now happening and I'm not sure if it was HitB where this was joked about.

Tasty

« Reply #694 on: April 12, 2019, 04:26:22 PM »
Been watching old BOTW before bed, Jack is clearly the best of the B cast. His laughs of pure joy are  :aweshum

I used to like Josh/Wizard much more than Jack, but these days I think I like Jack a bit more. I do think he sometimes overplays his "omg what did the other guys just say??" face sometimes, but it usually makes the joke funnier.

On the other hand, I notice more awkward comments from Josh than I did before, like he'll say something that might be kinda funny but no one comments on it and so it just hangs there. Maybe I'm crazy though.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #695 on: April 12, 2019, 04:28:47 PM »
Who was the new guy in the latest video? He was just kinda hanging out, I think he said like 3 things the whole time.  ???
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #696 on: April 12, 2019, 04:33:06 PM »
Who was the new guy in the latest video? He was just kinda hanging out, I think he said like 3 things the whole time.  ???

Mustache guy? He's an RLM EU deep cut, appearing in Space Cop and some early HitBs.

Tasty

« Reply #697 on: April 12, 2019, 04:39:00 PM »
Also he plays JJ in the TFA Plinkett review

And I think he did a series called "Catch my beer" or something

Tasty

« Reply #698 on: April 12, 2019, 04:40:30 PM »
They give him an intro here:

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #699 on: April 12, 2019, 04:49:19 PM »
That dude looks like someone who shouldn't be allowed within 500 yards of a child and I hope he doesn't return because he grossed me out
Why would they ask Rich Evans not to return, after so much time?

Tasty

« Reply #700 on: April 12, 2019, 05:00:32 PM »
I get the impression Rich and Mike are childhood friends, and since Mike *is* RLM, I don't see Rich leaving unless he wants to. (And honestly, there's probably more of a chance of that happening, considering how cynical he is.)

Tasty

« Reply #701 on: April 12, 2019, 05:30:10 PM »
I don't get that at all, I get that Mike and Jay have known each other since the 90s/early 00s, and everyone else came along later. I'm sure there's some nerd lore on Reddit or something, but I'm pretty sure Mike and Jay knew each other before they knew anyone else in the group.

I admit I could be wrong, but from their documentary "How Not to Make a Movie":

Mike: "Rich Evans was involved in my short films since probably mid-high school."

Rich: "We'd come up with crazy, stupid ideas. Things we'd never possibly film cause we didn't have the resources. Then we'd go to his house after school and try anyway."

Mike: "I'd put Rich in costumes in my parents' basement and then throw things at him. And uh, make him embarrass himself for my own amusement. (laughs)"

See also:

IIRC Mike met Jay through various indie Wisconsin film fests when they were in college. Mike had some "pre-RLM" "brand" (for lack of a better term) which had some collaborations with Jay, but Jay also had his own "brand" he was making things under -- mostly really sick, gross-out, John Waters-type short films, which actually got some decent reviews in local papers (I remember, because I remember trying to see how I could watch Jay's early stuff and only found the reviews.) In fact I think right before they joined and created RLM, Mike and Jay had some kind of a falling out. (Looking further into it left me with a grimy feeling so I stopped.)

Everyone else came onto RLM wayyyy later, probably post-Episode 1 review.

Tasty

« Reply #702 on: April 12, 2019, 05:37:32 PM »
Almost everyone that's appeared on HITB or Best of The Worst pop up in the Episode 1 review. Pretty sure even the weirdo with the pedo stache from above.

Also :jeanluc at being friends with teenaged Rich Evans

Right. My take on those appearances in the Ep1 review is that Mike as RLM was just interviewing his friends (I can't imagine RLM was more than him and Jay back then), some of whom he later convinced to join RLM proper. Maybe. Who knows.

Tasty

« Reply #703 on: April 12, 2019, 05:44:34 PM »
Edit- Mike met Jay on a filmmaker forum in 1999. There ya go. :P

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #704 on: April 12, 2019, 05:48:06 PM »
I don't get that at all, I get that Mike and Jay have known each other since the 90s/early 00s, and everyone else came along later. I'm sure there's some nerd lore on Reddit or something, but I'm pretty sure Mike and Jay knew each other before they knew anyone else in the group.

Out of everyone, Jay was the newcomer, Mike and Rich were childhood friends

Also this is unrelated to the above because they already know each other by this point but

Uncle

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #705 on: April 12, 2019, 05:58:47 PM »
What happened to the broads? There was the red head comedian who showed up in a few early BOTW and at least one HITB, and of course Jessi was around in a ton of stuff then vanished one day, never to be spoken of again.

Most people seem to think Mike and Jessi were dating and had a falling out and they are under no obligation to give anyone further closure about their personal lives

They are very private people in general, I think the most "behind the scenes" info anyone got was during PreRec streams which lent themselves to more off-the-cuff comments from Jack and Rich

Once on PreRec someone asked why Jessi wasn't ever on the show anymore, and Jack pointedly said it was because in order to appear in videos a person must have the camera pointed at them, and it was not being pointed at her
Uncle

Tasty

« Reply #706 on: April 12, 2019, 06:04:19 PM »
Gillian Bellinger (redhead comedian) moved to LA and I think she's still on good terms with them.

Jessi was on good enough terms in ~2013 to return for How Not to Make a Movie (since she was in Gorilla Interrupted), but she's actually a musician and I wouldn't be surprised if she was focusing more on that career.

Edit- Her last BotW was 2014, maybe she isn't on good terms anymore.

Ah well, we'll always have the Thunderpants review.

Tasty

« Reply #707 on: April 12, 2019, 06:07:48 PM »
There are definitely vids long after she stopped appearing on camera where you could still hear her laughing at stuff in the background and whatnot. That actually makes it weirder to me.

Maybe being a woman in the spotlight of a mostly male audience got to her, so she stopped going in front of the camera but stayed on at RLM to help since she liked the people.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #708 on: April 12, 2019, 06:10:55 PM »
Oh yeah, I do remember hearing that some fans were irredeemable creeps in some comments, possibly on reddit
Uncle

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #709 on: April 12, 2019, 06:13:54 PM »
Oh yeah, I do remember hearing that some fans were irredeemable creeps in some comments, possibly on reddit

Breeders, not even once.

Gay thirst
Jay, I'm single. I have five cats. Please fuck me and marry me already. :(

[close]

Tasty

« Reply #710 on: April 12, 2019, 06:15:47 PM »
Wait a goddamn second

You can rename the spoiler text on a spoiler tag??

what the fuck
WHAT THE FUCK
[close]

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #712 on: April 14, 2019, 02:22:35 AM »

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #713 on: April 14, 2019, 02:46:26 AM »
lol at some of those OT deaths

random dudes just don't die in fun ways anymore do they

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #714 on: April 14, 2019, 02:46:52 AM »
Wait a goddamn second

what the fuck
WHAT THE FUCK
[close]
this is what you get for not reading ALL OF MY POSTS ALWAYS :bolo

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #715 on: April 14, 2019, 04:13:59 AM »
bailing out by word two on benji posts has kept me sane :rejoice

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #716 on: April 14, 2019, 07:47:44 AM »
To be fair to Disney this shit actually works.

A bunch of friends already send me messages:
"Wow, did you see the new Star Wars trailer. This looks much better than the previous film"
"Cool they're bringing back the emperor"
"Woah, this looks much better than expected"
etc.

This shit works on the general movie going populace and JJ Abrams knows how to bring this home.

He'll save Star Wars again so the next movie can fuck it all up again.
🤴

nudemacusers

« Reply #717 on: April 14, 2019, 07:57:07 AM »
Wait a goddamn second

what the fuck
WHAT THE FUCK
[close]
This shit changes the game
Bore mods <3
nooooooooo  :(
[close]
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Tasty

« Reply #718 on: April 14, 2019, 09:33:19 AM »
To be fair to Disney this shit actually works.

A bunch of friends already send me messages:
"Wow, did you see the new Star Wars trailer. This looks much better than the previous film"
"Cool they're bringing back the emperor"
"Woah, this looks much better than expected"
etc.

This shit works on the general movie going populace and JJ Abrams knows how to bring this home.

He'll save Star Wars again so the next movie can fuck it all up again.

Wouldn't surprise me if JJ really bent Disney over the barrel on his directing fee for this one. "You see what happens when you give this franchise to someone else?!"

Tasty

« Reply #719 on: April 22, 2019, 05:26:29 PM »
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Half in the Bag Episode 162: Avengers: Endgame

spoiler (click to show/hide)
- Shooting 2-3 vids with [special guests] in May
- Shooting 3-4 vids with [Canadian guests] also in May
- Working on a longer-term big project, which required a set to be built, hence lack of recent videos
[close]
[close]