Author Topic: RedLetterMedia Thread  (Read 224191 times)

Uncle

• Have You Ever
Re: RedLetterMedia Thread
« Reply #720 on: April 22, 2019, 10:01:22 PM »
I was literally just thinking I hadn't seen them in a while except on like formal reviews like the first Star Trek movie

They are not the most charismatic and awesome of hosts but I appreciate them and their unique insights, as a main cast member Colin would be interchangeable with Jack

Fuck Colin Marry Jim Kill Josh
Uncle

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #721 on: April 22, 2019, 10:37:27 PM »
Canadians :kobeyuck

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #722 on: April 23, 2019, 01:01:28 PM »
No I just want him dead
Uncle

Tasty

« Reply #723 on: April 26, 2019, 11:59:10 AM »
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Half in the Bag Episode 162: Avengers: Endgame

Best of the Worst: Twister's Revenge
[close]
[close]

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #724 on: April 26, 2019, 12:25:09 PM »
Kinda wish they would just skip marvel movies entirely tbh

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #725 on: April 26, 2019, 02:36:36 PM »
Fuck u mono baby back bitch
dur

paprikastaude

« Reply #726 on: April 26, 2019, 04:51:45 PM »
I wouldn't be mad either. Marvel makes the same formulaic shlock over and over and reviews will always be lame variants of "it was okay, lolol better than DC amirite".

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #727 on: April 26, 2019, 04:54:55 PM »
I wouldn't be mad either. Marvel makes the same formulaic shlock over and over and reviews will always be lame variants of "it was okay, lolol better than DC amirite".
yeah this is exactly my problem, they just have to review one as they will all be the same thing with different dialogue.

Tasty

« Reply #728 on: April 26, 2019, 05:02:25 PM »
To be fair, even as cynical as they are (and Mike in particular), they did seem to genuinely enjoy and be pleasantly surprised by Infinity War, and I think Mike even said on a video earlier this year that he's looking forward to seeing how it all ends. So for Endgame in particular I don't get the impression they're doing it out of obligation; Jay especially has strong feelings about the Guardians of the Galaxy characters because of James Gunn's involvement.

To be fair though, some of their best HitB's come from "obligatory" movies. The X-Men: Apocalypse review is hysterical. :lol

"You wanna try the Mutant Registration Act? Go ahead. We got the DARK PHOENIX. *explosion noises*"

Tasty

« Reply #729 on: April 26, 2019, 05:11:08 PM »
The worse they are the more Mike loves it. He also loves both Jurassic World movies.

He loves 1.5 of the 2 Jurassic World movies. He hated the back half of Fallen Kingdom, while Jay liked it.

Boredfrom

« Reply #730 on: April 26, 2019, 05:16:10 PM »
I feel they also kind of forgiving to a fault, like shitting on Captain Marvel for an hour and Mike ended recommend it because is part of the Marvel grandstory. When Mike really likes an idea or a concept, he tends to forgive a lot that he is cynical brain would warn him before hand. Ex: Force Awakens.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #731 on: April 26, 2019, 05:23:14 PM »
I think they genuinely enjoy the movies, I just dont think they are worth discussing for 40 minutes outside of a plot overview, there's not much to say about these films, they're shot the same, feature the same beats, same type of dialogue etc, I can only really think of the last Thor/GotG (similar), Ant Man 1 and the Captain America with bucky that had differences worth discussing outside of the plot.

Himu

« Reply #732 on: April 26, 2019, 05:31:31 PM »
Imagine being JJ. Imagine being tasked with saving Star Wars - your baby - twice in less than five years. I’m amazed he doesn’t have more gray hairs than he does already. Probably dyes it.
IYKYK

Boredfrom

« Reply #733 on: April 26, 2019, 05:44:27 PM »
It's kind of hard for them not to recommend a Marvel movie. They're all a baseline of definitely watchable/mostly enjoyable except one or two, they're not individually complicated, all have something for everyone, and then the overlapping part of a 22 movie adds to it. There's really not a legitimate reason either of them could tell their audience not to see the newest Marvel movie unless you're already sick of them and weren't going to see it anyway.

Well, Jay didn’t recommend it. I just doubt that Mike seriously think that a Captain Marvel film while add much to Endgame and as individual film he admitted it fails hard.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #734 on: April 28, 2019, 05:37:01 PM »
watched the endgame half in the bag, it was as vanilla as i expected, loved the star trek bits though

Boredfrom

« Reply #735 on: April 28, 2019, 05:50:52 PM »
I kind of want to watch endgame because some stuff sounds like could be either awesome or awful and then both. I suppose new to watch those Marvel films I wanted to watch.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #736 on: April 28, 2019, 05:55:50 PM »
The worse they are the more Mike loves it. He also loves both Jurassic World movies.

He loves 1.5 of the 2 Jurassic World movies. He hated the back half of Fallen Kingdom, while Jay liked it.

WTF, Jay-BB. That backhalf was so fucking stupid:

J.W. spoilers.

"I'm a clone. :( I feel for these other clone animals that are fucking dangerous to humanity as they're being gassed."
"We should free them Star-lord!"
"WTF, no we shouldn't Ginger Woman!"
*clone hits free button*
Director: DID YOU LIKE IT? SEQUEL TIME!
[close]

Boredfrom

« Reply #737 on: April 28, 2019, 08:17:59 PM »
I don’t remember Jay loving it, at best I remember being more entertained because it was schlock. They mocked the exact thing you mentioned.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #738 on: April 28, 2019, 08:21:59 PM »
Did they love Endgame? I haven’t watched the HitB yet.
©@©™

Boredfrom

« Reply #739 on: April 28, 2019, 09:01:03 PM »
Did they love Endgame? I haven’t watched the HitB yet.

“It’s okay” and “Infinity War was better”.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #740 on: May 04, 2019, 03:13:32 PM »

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #741 on: May 06, 2019, 07:11:27 PM »
Jay was correct, Twister's Revenge is indeed on Youtube.
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #742 on: May 08, 2019, 10:29:34 AM »
Best of the Worst #78

The Warriors - re:View

Best of the Worst #79
[close]
[close]
[close]

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #743 on: May 08, 2019, 10:35:34 AM »
I like all of that.
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #744 on: May 08, 2019, 02:59:38 PM »
Unless they say Jurassic World is better than The Warriors. :rage
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #745 on: May 14, 2019, 12:41:17 PM »
The Warriors - re:View

Half in the Bag Episode 163: Under the Silver Lake
[close]
[close]

Himu

« Reply #746 on: May 14, 2019, 12:44:31 PM »
THE WARRIORS?!!?!?!?!?

:gladbron
IYKYK

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #747 on: May 14, 2019, 01:20:37 PM »
I don't watch the HITBs very often, but I'm curious what they think about Silver Lake.
©@©™

Himu

« Reply #748 on: May 14, 2019, 01:23:15 PM »
still haven't seen silver lake because it's not really near me. guess i'll have to see if it's playing near me still.
IYKYK

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #749 on: May 14, 2019, 01:26:09 PM »
I watched it on VOD, it's a fiver on Amazon.
©@©™

Himu

« Reply #750 on: May 14, 2019, 01:57:28 PM »
Oooo thanks!
IYKYK

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #751 on: May 16, 2019, 09:54:03 AM »
Finally covering the best movie of last year

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #752 on: May 16, 2019, 09:56:04 AM »

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #753 on: May 16, 2019, 10:02:02 AM »
Max O'Byrne
25 minutes ago
I wish I was under Mike and Jay’s silver lake...
©@©™

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #754 on: May 17, 2019, 01:08:00 AM »
Well they liked it, not as much as me, but it's nice to know Mike especially liked it, Jay I would 100% have expected to love it.

Tasty

« Reply #755 on: May 17, 2019, 08:38:02 AM »
Biggest surprise is that Mike watched and liked(!!) the new Twin Peaks. :o

Himu

« Reply #756 on: May 17, 2019, 08:47:27 AM »
Why is that
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #757 on: May 17, 2019, 09:13:02 AM »
It's not exactly Jurassic World fare.

paprikastaude

« Reply #758 on: May 25, 2019, 11:39:46 AM »

Himu

« Reply #759 on: May 25, 2019, 11:50:23 AM »
How the hell did they get Jay in on this?
IYKYK

Occam

« Reply #760 on: May 25, 2019, 12:32:36 PM »
Reminder that in Star Trek IV they fly around the sun really fast to time travel. Science!

Tasty

« Reply #761 on: May 25, 2019, 01:21:49 PM »
Reminder that in Star Trek IV they fly around the sun really fast to time travel. Science!

Worked in Superman except with the Earth.

Himu

« Reply #762 on: May 25, 2019, 04:01:06 PM »

The science jabs are from the fact Tilly regularly says shit like,”fuck yeah, science!” and “the power of math!” If you had watched Discovery you’d know that?
IYKYK

Occam

« Reply #763 on: May 25, 2019, 04:42:04 PM »
Oh, I thought they were ridiculing the science as well. I'll concede it was slightly annoying in a Wesley Crusher way, but how often did it happen, 3 times during this season? In my opinion (because I enjoyed Discovery), this is nitpicking.

Himu

« Reply #764 on: May 25, 2019, 07:15:49 PM »
I wouldn’t say it’s nitpicking. Trek presented professionals doing their job. The depth came from the the questions it raised as people with different viewpoints and cultures could solve problems together. It didn’t glorify science. In fact, there are some episodes were actually critical of science. Star Trek showed a hopeful future. It raised questions. It did not navel gaze.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #765 on: May 25, 2019, 08:26:32 PM »
I thought it was ridiculing how Discovery doles out science bits, not necessarily the bits themselves.

Tasty

« Reply #766 on: May 25, 2019, 10:54:48 PM »
A little backstory... Rich and I will be doing a discussion on Season 2 of Discovery. In my notes I wanted to talk about the TERRIBLE AND INSANE technobabble. Now I know technobabble is a major part of Star Trek, but it has never been so nonsensical and written by people that think you can suck up a black hole and shoot it at someone. After a run of the worst, most impossibly stupid things being said some character would actually say, "Science, fuck yeah" or "I like science"... it was as if the writers were patting themselves on the back for being so awesome at writing. So, in our discussion I wanted to talk about that. First I wrote some dialog and was planning to read it aloud. Then I thought, well let's shoot a little scene acting it out - like a table read. That turned into actually trying to shoot it like it was on Discovery. Then instead of inserting that into the STD S2 video we decided to make it it's own little video as an ad. So that's that! -Mike
[close]

Tasty

« Reply #767 on: May 25, 2019, 11:01:11 PM »

BTS video was fun.
[close]

Himu

« Reply #768 on: May 25, 2019, 11:14:25 PM »
where's all this secret stuff coming from?
IYKYK

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #769 on: May 26, 2019, 03:47:24 AM »
where's all this secret stuff coming from?

Patron I guess ?
ὕβρις

thisismyusername

« Reply #770 on: May 26, 2019, 07:05:29 AM »
How the hell did they get Jay in on this?

He's getting paid in Alcohol and going to a gay bar. ;)

thisismyusername

« Reply #771 on: May 26, 2019, 07:16:51 AM »

Movie plot
Quote from: Wikipedia
By combining the bracelet, the prize inside his friend's old cereal box, and a The Legend of Zelda map featured in the first-ever issue of Nintendo Power, Sam is able to find a location that doesn't show on web mapping where he finds a man and three women in a hut. The man reveals the answer to Sam's investigation: through history a selected few wealthy men like himself choose to lock themselves into underground bunkers similar to the one Sam previously discovered in order for their souls to "ascend" similar to Egyptian Pharaohs, while taking three wives to go with them. He confirms that Sarah and her roommates were Jefferson Sevence's wives, and that their deaths were faked in order for the four of them to ascend. Once they went inside their bunker, it was sealed and cannot be left. However the process takes months and they can actually be contacted via videotelephony. Sam speaks with Sarah, who confirms that she entered the bunker on her own will and that she's at peace with her fate. Since Sarah leaving the bunker is not an option, the two share an emotional farewell and hang up for good.

Sam unexpectedly passes out along with the man and his three wives, just as the Homeless King arrives. The Homeless King captures Sam, and when he finds dog biscuits in his pocket it is heavily implied that Sam is the Dog Killer who's wreaked havoc across Los Angeles. Sam alludes to a painful breakup with his girlfriend and their dog, and the despair he felt knowing they'd never get back together and would never see his dog again. The Homeless King eventually lets him go, stating that the members of the conspiracy probably won't kill Sam, although he is not certain. When he comes back to his apartment complex, Sam spends the night with a neighbor whose parrot keeps on saying incomprehensible words, although she too does not know what words he is saying. From her balcony, Sam sees his landlord and a police lady entering his apartment to evict him because he didn't pay his rent. The two realize that the wall has been painted with a strange symbol, which Sam knows to be a message left by the conspiracy members to remind him to keep quiet.
[close]

Man, am I glad I don't watch a ton of films. I feel bad they had to suffer through this slog based on this wikipedia summary.

Boredfrom

« Reply #772 on: May 27, 2019, 02:04:43 AM »

Movie plot
Quote from: Wikipedia
By combining the bracelet, the prize inside his friend's old cereal box, and a The Legend of Zelda map featured in the first-ever issue of Nintendo Power, Sam is able to find a location that doesn't show on web mapping where he finds a man and three women in a hut. The man reveals the answer to Sam's investigation: through history a selected few wealthy men like himself choose to lock themselves into underground bunkers similar to the one Sam previously discovered in order for their souls to "ascend" similar to Egyptian Pharaohs, while taking three wives to go with them. He confirms that Sarah and her roommates were Jefferson Sevence's wives, and that their deaths were faked in order for the four of them to ascend. Once they went inside their bunker, it was sealed and cannot be left. However the process takes months and they can actually be contacted via videotelephony. Sam speaks with Sarah, who confirms that she entered the bunker on her own will and that she's at peace with her fate. Since Sarah leaving the bunker is not an option, the two share an emotional farewell and hang up for good.

Sam unexpectedly passes out along with the man and his three wives, just as the Homeless King arrives. The Homeless King captures Sam, and when he finds dog biscuits in his pocket it is heavily implied that Sam is the Dog Killer who's wreaked havoc across Los Angeles. Sam alludes to a painful breakup with his girlfriend and their dog, and the despair he felt knowing they'd never get back together and would never see his dog again. The Homeless King eventually lets him go, stating that the members of the conspiracy probably won't kill Sam, although he is not certain. When he comes back to his apartment complex, Sam spends the night with a neighbor whose parrot keeps on saying incomprehensible words, although she too does not know what words he is saying. From her balcony, Sam sees his landlord and a police lady entering his apartment to evict him because he didn't pay his rent. The two realize that the wall has been painted with a strange symbol, which Sam knows to be a message left by the conspiracy members to remind him to keep quiet.
[close]

(Image removed from quote.)

Man, am I glad I don't watch a ton of films. I feel bad they had to suffer through this slog based on this wikipedia summary.

lol Both are recomending this film...

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #773 on: May 27, 2019, 02:52:03 AM »
You're not going to get anything from the plot summary, you have to actually watch it.

Tasty

« Reply #774 on: May 27, 2019, 09:34:27 AM »

Mac is back!

Himu

« Reply #775 on: May 27, 2019, 09:36:33 AM »
I love the warriors. Can’t wait.

I hope they also cover the awful directors cut.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #776 on: May 27, 2019, 11:58:28 AM »
That is my favorite all time Re:View :bow
IYKYK

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #777 on: May 27, 2019, 12:07:45 PM »
Mentioning Ripper. :)

thisismyusername

« Reply #778 on: May 27, 2019, 01:36:35 PM »
You're not going to get anything from the plot summary, you have to actually watch it.

Waste two hours of my life for a plot that involves the Legend of Zelda from an Old Nintendo Power map and being told "oh, yeah, I was totally going to have sex with you but then I got a call from my doomsday cult so... sorry to ghost on you. lol!

(Oh by the way, you kill dogs!)"

:donot

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #779 on: May 27, 2019, 02:02:16 PM »
The thing is, it's really good and the plot isn't important. It's my nr1 film of last year