Author Topic: RedLetterMedia Thread  (Read 224198 times)

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
Re: RedLetterMedia Thread
« Reply #900 on: July 15, 2019, 02:04:10 AM »
Disney's 14 year old knights of the old republic high school

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #901 on: July 15, 2019, 08:23:05 AM »
There's a Sith academy in the first game. It can't get much weirder than that.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #902 on: July 15, 2019, 08:29:02 AM »
How about a series with sith purebloods going around nazi-ing the place up?  :hitler

Occam

« Reply #903 on: July 15, 2019, 09:01:51 AM »

FUCK YES LITERALLY JACKING OFF RN

Fuck, this made me want to watch the movie just to see how much of a train wreck it's going to be and how much they get right.

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #904 on: July 15, 2019, 09:10:17 AM »
I feel bad for them. They are so done with Star Wars, yet they still have to talk about it because that's how they came to fame.

It's like watching your favorite musical artist have to fake a smile and sing their pop song (they wrote when they were 16 years old) for the billionth time.

Boredfrom

« Reply #905 on: July 15, 2019, 12:30:32 PM »
I dunno if the world building was a problem. I feel it is more easy to explain that Lucas is not a good writer than this stuff getting in the way. If anything, Disney’s Star Wars is not even interested in setting up their villians or genuinely explain anything because “old Star Wars did the same”.

I think Knights of The Old Republic is loved because they did what prequel trilogy tried to do and failed (Jedi vs Sith and building a new setting). You can say this games stores are probably not going work the same if adapted as films, but is there a good backbone that Disney could ruin use.

There is nothing wrong with explaining how a Jedi build a lightsaber if there is an actual emotional resonance on it than “I am applauding because I recognize this”.

The problem will always be that film and tv writers, like the Bad Robot alumni, are more concerned about thrills than anything else. I feel that they don’t even care about characters in particular. I am surprised that RLM genuinely thought that Kylo Ren was planned to be something beyond “evil dipshit moron”, it was clear to me since Force Awakens that Disney was serious with Kylo Ren being a straight  Dark Vader clone rather than a parody or deconstruction. Snoke was supposed to be the Emperor without the charisma and Rey is suppose to be Luke with tits.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 12:40:58 PM by Boredfrom »

Tasty

« Reply #906 on: July 15, 2019, 01:01:09 PM »
With Kylo I think people were mostly fooled because Adam Driver adds a lot to the character with his performance, and you get much more of a "torn between two sides" impression after watching him on screen vs. reading his lines on a page.

Snoke on the other hand is in so few scenes and is so CG'd up that his lack of character, backstory, and arc, are plainly apparent. This was probably a tradeoff the story group acknowledged during The Force Awakens, with the idea they'd set him up later... but then Johnson offed him, with no real way to give a satisfying explanation for him in Rian's own movie (something he even admitted to after the premiere.)

Himu

« Reply #907 on: July 15, 2019, 01:05:12 PM »
I agree with the guys. I legitimately liked the whole Luke breaks with the force thing. I also loved the tension between Kylo and Rey. If it all paid off I would have loved the movie, Finn/Rose aside. Two potential lovers on different sides of the Force is interesting to me.

I know Luke's characterization in TLJ wasn't popular with the Star Wars fanboys but I liked that shit. That was fucking different and I genuinely found it interesting and believed that Luke Skywalker could actually get to that point. The first half of the movie really sets the table to be a damn good meal, and the second half does a pull the table cloth trick and every dish comes crashing to the floor.

Shame.
IYKYK

paprikastaude

« Reply #908 on: July 15, 2019, 01:05:38 PM »
I feel bad for them. They are so done with Star Wars, yet they still have to talk about it because that's how they came to fame.

It's like watching your favorite musical artist have to fake a smile and sing their pop song (they wrote when they were 16 years old) for the billionth time.

:idont
They talk about every big trash release on HitB anyway.

Tasty

« Reply #909 on: July 15, 2019, 01:10:40 PM »
The idea of Luke becoming a hermit has a lot of potential.

I highly dislike how that idea was executed in The Last Jedi.

Himu

« Reply #910 on: July 15, 2019, 01:14:02 PM »
I think that in the end a lot of this made TLJ even more irksome for me: because I liked where they were heading. A lot of the ideas are fantastic but so poorly executed which makes it even more infuriating because it legitimately could have been the one of the best Star Wars films. A lot of the ideas, on paper, are fantastic. But that makes it even more annoying because TLJ isn't outright bad. There's plenty of potential there.
IYKYK

paprikastaude

« Reply #911 on: July 15, 2019, 01:15:03 PM »
TLJ would've been good if it was only Luke, Rey and Kylo. Everything with the side characters is prequel-tier, from story, pacing, CG to humour.

Himu

« Reply #912 on: July 15, 2019, 01:16:49 PM »
TLJ would've been good if it was only Luke, Rey and Kylo.

I KNOW! That's the thing!

That scene between Kylo and Rey in the tent was EXCELLENT.
IYKYK

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #913 on: July 15, 2019, 01:17:13 PM »

:idont
They talk about every big trash release on HitB anyway.

Yet they won't release a Midsommar HITB because they're fucking Disney hackfrauds. :bolo
©@©™

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #914 on: July 15, 2019, 01:18:03 PM »
There are so many ways it could've gone that would be interesting to explore

Although I will say Luke being a hermit in the second movie sure is a lot like poetry, it rhymes

Would've been cool if he hadn't died and instead realized he had to come out of retirement to be a badass in the third movie or something

Like the old master who only takes 5 seconds to resolve the situation when pressed and you realize not to fuck with him

And then when even he is threatened later on you know it's a significant threat

Maybe that's still leaning too fanboyish but it's something, anything other than what they ended up doing
Uncle

Himu

« Reply #915 on: July 15, 2019, 01:21:25 PM »
Daisey Ridley and Adam Driver's chemistry was :obama

I really wanted more.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #916 on: July 15, 2019, 01:23:08 PM »
There are so many ways it could've gone that would be interesting to explore

Although I will say Luke being a hermit in the second movie sure is a lot like poetry, it rhymes

Would've been cool if he hadn't died and instead realized he had to come out of retirement to be a badass in the third movie or something

Like the old master who only takes 5 seconds to resolve the situation when pressed and you realize not to fuck with him

And then when even he is threatened later on you know it's a significant threat

Maybe that's still leaning too fanboyish but it's something, anything other than what they ended up doing

But isn't it COOL how Luke isn't even there at the end? It's like the Light Side philosophy summed up!!

"You think I'd pull out my laser sword and take on the First Order all by myself?"

Damn Luke is so right, there's never been any impossible circumstances demanding daring rescues in this franchise before. Certainly none he participated in personally!

/ ::)

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #917 on: July 15, 2019, 01:31:55 PM »
That scene between Kylo and Rey in the tent was EXCELLENT.

Rule 34 is not canon.

paprikastaude

« Reply #918 on: July 15, 2019, 02:38:40 PM »

Occam

« Reply #919 on: July 15, 2019, 03:04:00 PM »
No, it's a badly structured movie with several sub-plots that go nowhere and a main plot (the chase) that makes no sense.

Boredfrom

« Reply #920 on: July 15, 2019, 03:04:29 PM »
I think I posted it here, but at an early screening of TLJ, before any impressions were up, I think I said something to the effect of 'this was the first Star Wars movie that I came out of actively not liking.' (Also something about almost bursting out laughing when Leia's body was vacuumed out to space.)

There's not even a honeymoon period with these films like there were with the prequels, I feel like they bring absolutely nothing to the table... it's more of a CW show type of thing where you keep watching to see where they go next.

Did anyone actually like TLJ as an individual movie on its own merits?

Which is ironic given that this films are genuinely better than the prequels.

I dunno, for all his faults, George Lucas is a good “ideas man” even if is just retreat of old stuff. I feel people liked Star Wars more when there was a illusion of a grandiose story arc rather than an blatant  “REMEMBER NEW HOPE?”.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #921 on: July 15, 2019, 03:08:35 PM »
Call me weird, but I'd rather watch revenge of the sith, at least it gave me many entertaining memes and laughs.

Boredfrom

« Reply #922 on: July 15, 2019, 03:11:38 PM »
Call me weird, but I'd rather watch revenge of the sith, at least it gave me many entertaining memes and laughs.

I know Mike hates it, but I really like the over the top lightsaber fights. I take that over the snore fests in the Disney films.

Occam

« Reply #923 on: July 15, 2019, 03:11:41 PM »
I have watched TLJ precisely once, in the theater. I have no desire to rewatch it.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #924 on: July 15, 2019, 03:12:56 PM »
people are too quick to jump in with the sentiment that you can't glorify the prequels to denigrate the newquels

I would legit watch one of the prequel movies right now over TLJ, the thought of sitting through TLJ again has me sick to my stomach

prequel movie I eat popcorn
Uncle

Tasty

« Reply #925 on: July 15, 2019, 05:47:34 PM »
The only ranking that matters:

Plinkett Ep 3 review > Plinkett TLJ review

Occam

« Reply #926 on: July 15, 2019, 06:03:22 PM »
The only ranking that matters:

Plinkett Ep 3 review > Plinkett TLJ review

I think they didn't immediately grasp the full extent of TLJ's awfulness. I said it was a 6.5 out of 10 right after seeing it, which in hindsight was way too generous.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #927 on: July 16, 2019, 04:51:25 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/redlettermedia-ot-very-cruel.804/page-121

I'm surprised this thread is that civil at least on the last page and not a bunch of calls of #cancelled. :lol

Yeah, they're most often rolling eyes at the bouts of RLM rage by prominent members on Off Topic than anything.

Welp....

https://www.resetera.com/threads/redlettermedia-ot-very-cruel.804/page-128

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #928 on: July 16, 2019, 05:11:18 AM »
The bire's RLM community :rejoice

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #929 on: July 16, 2019, 05:12:51 AM »
Do any of you miss Previously Recorded as much as I do? :fbm

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #930 on: July 16, 2019, 06:52:30 AM »

Not really. Jack and Rich were kinda shit at talking about videogames.
Those Friday 13th streams though :lawd

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #931 on: July 16, 2019, 07:32:41 AM »
Yeah Friday the 13th was great and I was really hoping they were going to do more Space Quest, Rich doing Vohaul as Plinkett  :delicious

they needed to stick to what they wanted to play rather than what people demanded

I also liked when they just shot the shit about whatever, they didn't need to talk about video games, it was like a podcast of random Rich/Jack opinions and was fun
Uncle

Tasty

« Reply #932 on: July 16, 2019, 09:28:14 AM »

Jay cameos :lawd

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #933 on: July 16, 2019, 10:04:24 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/redlettermedia-ot-very-cruel.804/page-121

I'm surprised this thread is that civil at least on the last page and not a bunch of calls of #cancelled. :lol

Yeah, they're most often rolling eyes at the bouts of RLM rage by prominent members on Off Topic than anything.

Welp....

https://www.resetera.com/threads/redlettermedia-ot-very-cruel.804/page-128

Ban everyone on this page :rage :rage :rage

you forgot to kill them too
©@©™

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #934 on: July 16, 2019, 12:59:28 PM »

Jay cameos :lawd
HOW DOES ONE HOLD CONTROLLER  :drake

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #935 on: July 16, 2019, 02:47:04 PM »
Shiiiii the moment it hits you when Mike is probably right about the plot.

They're right, this shit is going to be awful  :lol
🤴

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #936 on: July 16, 2019, 03:10:05 PM »
I dunno about that

I kind of agree with Rich's prediction that this is their least accurate prediction ever

round deflector dish = the filmmakers just didn't notice or care, or possibly will be a throwaway line where Lando fixed it up the way it used to be

Luke's lightsaber = Rey repaired it, there's a visible black area in the center where the split would be, and it allows them to do a montage of her repairing the lightsaber while Kylo repairs his helmet, it's so symbolic

plus we have seen and know about some new characters in the film and if you're time traveling to go revisit old characters you don't also introduce new

Abrams "fuck it" means it's going to be a glorious mess somehow but I don't see what they would do with time travel

although I like the idea of Rey being Shmi Skywalker because then it goes back to, she was a nobody from nowhere but ALSO started the most powerful family in the galaxy, which means anybody can be special, just like those little kids at the end of TLJ
Uncle

Tasty

« Reply #937 on: July 16, 2019, 03:19:16 PM »
If Rey is Shmi what does it mean that she had the hots for her great-grandson in TLJ?

Though I guess incest and Star Wars have always had each other.

Himu

« Reply #938 on: July 16, 2019, 03:29:06 PM »
If Rey is Shmi what does it mean that she had the hots for her great-grandson in TLJ?

(Image removed from quote.)

Shmi?
IYKYK

thetylerrob

« Reply #939 on: July 16, 2019, 03:38:53 PM »

Shmi?
SHMI

Sorry I just like the name Shmi a lot.

Occam

« Reply #940 on: July 16, 2019, 03:56:23 PM »
Not as weird as Darth Vader being Space Jesus and personally building C3PO, a protocol droid, to help his slave mother in the desert with all her protocolary needs.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #941 on: July 16, 2019, 03:58:58 PM »

:lawd
Uncle

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #942 on: July 16, 2019, 03:59:45 PM »
Beat me to it. /shakefist

Himu

« Reply #943 on: July 16, 2019, 04:31:04 PM »
IYKYK

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #944 on: July 16, 2019, 04:34:11 PM »
the theory might work if shmey wasn't raped to death by sandpeople.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #945 on: July 16, 2019, 04:49:56 PM »
The animated series Star Wars Rebels introduced something called the “world between worlds,” a mystical plane of existence outside space and time that makes it possible to travel through portals in time and even alter the past.
The animated series Star Wars Rebels introduced something called the “world between worlds,” a mystical plane of existence outside space and time that makes it possible to travel through portals in time and even alter the past.
This worries the most  :lol

- The Emperor is not dead, or he's reincarnated or whatever
- Kylo <3 Rey
- The Emperor corrupts Kylo
- A battle takes place near a portal that the Emperor wants to use to travel back in time
- Kylo holds back the emperor by sacrificing himself
- Rey jumps into the portal, finds herself on Tatooine pregnant with the son of Kylo: Anakin

:lol
🤴

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #946 on: July 16, 2019, 05:05:06 PM »
Rey goes back in time and gives birth to herself (Kylo is the father) then they get sucked back into a time rift and have to leave baby Rey behind.

:rejoice The scene where she's looking through the mirror at her parents and she only sees herself. The foreshadowing my brehs. :rejoice
©@©™

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #947 on: July 16, 2019, 05:09:28 PM »
 :holeup :kobeyuck
Uncle

Himu

« Reply #948 on: July 16, 2019, 05:11:41 PM »
Rey being Anakin's mother would make this must see and I would break my "fuck new star wars after TLJ" rule to see this fuckery unfold live :rofl
IYKYK

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #949 on: July 16, 2019, 05:16:07 PM »
the ultimate poetry

the ultimate rhyme

:lucas
Uncle

Tasty

« Reply #950 on: July 16, 2019, 05:36:51 PM »
Rey goes back in time and gives birth to herself (Kylo is the father) then they get sucked back into a time rift and have to leave baby Rey behind.

:rejoice The scene where she's looking through the mirror at her parents and she only sees herself. The foreshadowing my brehs. :rejoice

Yo this is some Lost season 3 shit so I could absolutely see it happening

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Disclaimer: I love Lost. And Star Trek '09. And parts of The Force Awakens. :nintendo
[close]

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #951 on: July 16, 2019, 05:42:00 PM »
I can't wait for all the fan art
Uncle

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #952 on: July 16, 2019, 06:35:32 PM »
I humbly ask you redlettermedia experts what video this is from because I would like to watch it

Uncle

Himu

« Reply #953 on: July 16, 2019, 06:36:59 PM »
Tbh RLM’s video got me more hyped for this movie than TLJ did. It’s going to be a train wreck.
IYKYK

paprikastaude

« Reply #954 on: July 16, 2019, 06:39:24 PM »
Must be some episode of The Nerd Crew, of which all episodes are worth watching anyway.

Tasty

« Reply #955 on: July 16, 2019, 06:40:04 PM »
I humbly ask you redlettermedia experts what video this is from because I would like to watch it

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #956 on: July 16, 2019, 06:41:56 PM »

Nerd Crew first episode judging by the clothes.
Edit : Beaten.
ὕβρις

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #957 on: July 16, 2019, 06:45:47 PM »
thank you!  it didn't look like their normal nerd crew set I expected to see which was just showered in toys and gaudy outfits
Uncle

Tasty

« Reply #958 on: July 16, 2019, 06:49:34 PM »
Looking back, no lie, I got so much more entertainment from the Nerd Crews leading up to TLJ than TLJ itself. :doge

Tasty

« Reply #959 on: July 16, 2019, 06:50:25 PM »
Tbh RLM’s video got me more hyped for this movie than TLJ did. It’s going to be a train wreck.

We're gonna be on the same page being upset when TRS ends up bland and unmemorable instead of the train wreck it is destined to be.

That's still an indictment of the new trilogy though.