Author Topic: Red Dead Redemption 2: 2Red 2Redemptive  (Read 51973 times)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2: 2Red 2Redemptive
« Reply #420 on: November 29, 2020, 08:37:37 PM »

:sad

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #421 on: November 29, 2020, 11:32:11 PM »
Moonshiner is pretty good if you're looking for easy money, it usually the one I'm running. Trader is riskier solo just because there is an incentive for other players to fuck with your deliveries, whereas moonshiner is esentailly just PvE. Once you've finished the pass, I'd recommend jumping into Moonshiner. At level 20, it also unlocks my favorite horse in the game, the Norfolk Roadster.

The online community for this game is a bunch of whinners. I jump on when ever a new update is announced, play for a few weeks and drop it. Coincidentally, I still enjoy the game and the new updates. The lifers who play everyday want substantial updates every 2-3 months and blow through the new stuff in a weekend. They apparently didn't learn anything from GTAO about how Rockstar operates.

I also imagine Covid hit them hard. Pretty sure Naturalist was supposed to be a spring release and this upcoming update would have been late summer. Corona pushed everything back, and when R* is already pretty slow and methodical with updates, it hurts. This year was worse for updates than last but when we're going through a society altering pandemic, I'm willing to give the developer a pass.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #422 on: December 02, 2020, 12:44:13 AM »
So… one other thing I haven't seen documented, the Daily Challenge BASE payout is also lower. I'm on a 23 day streak, which gives a 2.5x multiplier to gold rewards, and it was paying out 0.4 yesterday, and payouts for the same set of Daily Challenges lowered to .25 today after the update.

This means the base payout is 10¢ in gold now. It had been 16¢. With the multiplier being reset, it will be rough making back the Outlaw Pass investment in gold. There's a 3-bar ($3) payout at Rank 5 or 6 of the Outlaw Pass, so that's something.

More people online today and in-town than I've ever seen.

Let's Cyber

« Reply #423 on: December 02, 2020, 07:32:46 AM »
Yeah, I jumped on today and it looks like they nerfed dailies. They also put a 4 week limit on consecutive streaks.

It's pretty shitty tbh. Looks like you can still get gold from bounties and stranger missions though.

I'll be hoarding my gold like Smaug now waiting for those big ticket items.

:money

Let's Cyber

« Reply #424 on: December 02, 2020, 07:36:54 AM »
it will be rough making back the Outlaw Pass investment in gold.
As long as you buy the outlaw pass before the 7th of December, you'll be able to make all 40 gold back. 10 will be reimbursed and you'll make 30 in the pass as long as you complete it and accept the rewards in the benefits menu.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #425 on: December 02, 2020, 07:07:33 PM »
Yeah, like many things in life I purchased it and then did the math afterwards. So I am already in for the “before December 7“ qualifier.

Thanks for the clarification that the pass will provide 30 bars, and the immediate rebate has 10 bars. 40 bars was a lot, and it has postponed me getting the moonshiner license.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #426 on: December 03, 2020, 03:47:54 AM »
Bumped into some lame problems:
2 Bounty Hunter challenges were buggy, and didn’t trigger, despite meeting the shown conditions 4x
Took a job from Anthony Foreman, turned out to be a player bounty. Target was level 372 and his posse member was 240+
…that didn’t go so well.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #427 on: December 03, 2020, 08:19:10 PM »
Playing in the final three weeks of the Halloween Pass, where nobody was really bringing their asshole A-game, made me a bit soft. I have been accustomed to taking my trader wagon across the map without interruption. This last two days under the new Outlaw Pass have been more populated with players. Where previously I had not seen any real bad behavior, I am now see more griefers.

I had only just upgraded to the medium wagon, allowing me to transport 50 units at a time instead of 25. This would help me speed things up, and it’s a 1.5x better payout. Again, Rockstar seems to like making capitalism simulators, and the ground level after initial investment seems to be only a 1:1 pay out of what the player puts invests. It is painstaking to fill up the materials bar, and an occasional pain in the ass to fill up the supply bar with a mission, but it certainly takes time no matter what. Cripps chews through the stuff quickly if he has it, it’s keeping his plate full that’s difficult. It takes a lot of work.

So when I was staring at $150 versus $187 payout for local versus distant delivery, I decided to take a chance. I had heard that players can’t interfere with local deliveries, but a quick glance at the server player list showed me that there were only eight total people in this session. I started a remote sale. This give me 25 minutes to get across the map, so I started out on a journey so long that it even had a couple of random encounters. No opposing players seemed to be taking an interest, so I followed a dog, swapped out my weapons on my horse, and continued.

Literally within 150 m of the destination, the road takes me by a random player’s camp. At first it looked like he was going to leave me alone but he jumped on his horse, came after me, and shot the wagon with dynamite, blowing it up. He killed me, and then stole the first of two bags. I tried to get my other bag to the destination, but it wasn’t giving me a yellow safe zone to drop it in. This level 180 dickbag came down into the firefight while I was already fighting the scripted outlaws, stole my bag and took off. I’m level 38 at this time, it was not much of a contest.

With that, I determined to make local deliveries only, so it was a surprise on the very next run when a player encountered me just outside of the delivery spot, apparently couldn’t shoot me, so they put flaming moonshine in my path, which I had to drive through due to being on a narrow shoreline road, which caught fire to my wheels, destroying the wagon 10 m short of its destination. So instead of $150 payout, I got two $60 payouts. The opposing player got nothing other than the satisfaction of being the second person to ruin my fucking day.

Let's Cyber

« Reply #428 on: December 04, 2020, 08:18:57 AM »
Sorry my dude, I know that feeling. I'm a generally honorable cowpoke and honestly don't understand the trader wagon griefing. I've helped a few people out once they've made it to their destination by killing hostile npcs but that's about it.

I had a gang of 5 or 6 dudes surround me in Rhodes once and start pushing me. I couldn't get out of the circle before they started to punching, ping ponging me back and forth until I died. It felt a bit like being bullied in middle school or some shit.  :doge Running solo in RDO can be rough sometimes.

The payouts for moonshiner aren't as big, but I really prefer not having to deal with other players. It costs me $50 to pay for the mash and I get ~$220 for a full delivery. It doesn't come close to the $650 profit for a full trader wagon on a long delivery but I consider it a down payment for not needing to deal with assholes.

kingv

« Reply #429 on: December 04, 2020, 12:53:48 PM »
This game sounds miserable and that’s why I don’t play it

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #430 on: December 05, 2020, 06:01:42 AM »
The experience I outlined was pretty nasty.  I was frustrated as hell.

Later on, I was running around near my camp and picking herbs and berries, when another player runs up and grabs my horse. I had just watched a video, showing how to whistle and make my horse own horse buck-off any other players. So I'm standing there, whistling ineffectively, as that player rides off on my horse. Another member of his posse comes by while I'm whistling, and tackles me to the ground to start hog-tying me. Both these fuckers are only interested in robbing other players of their agency. :maf

So I summoned a menu and jumped into a different free-roam, and that was that.

HOWEVER, on the heels of all that, I started up the Moonshiner stuff, and it's really fun!

Let's Cyber

« Reply #431 on: December 05, 2020, 07:59:55 AM »
You can limit who is able to ride and/or lead your horse.

On console click left on the d-pad, go to stables, then horses and go to Horse Access. I usually just keep it to friends only.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #432 on: December 05, 2020, 09:16:37 AM »
I put this together for the Reddit RDO group, but the mods removed it, even after it got 500 upvotes.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #433 on: December 06, 2020, 05:35:10 PM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/RedDeadOnline/comments/k7pt9u/after_the_unexpected_success_of_my_last_post_i/

This player replicated Assasin’s Creed gameplay in RDO, right down to a Leap of Faith at the end. Worth a watch.

Let's Cyber

« Reply #434 on: December 07, 2020, 08:51:33 AM »
I got to lvl 40 in the outlaw pass, doing high level bounties + moonshine deliveries seems to be doing the trick. I do think the Halloween and Outlaw Pass 4 are stopgap content for something much bigger down the line. I'm glad we got expanded Bounty Hunter levels, really hope they do the same for Moonshiner eventually.

I want a next gen patch too but knowing R* they'll make me rebuy the game at some point.  :-\
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 09:18:36 AM by Let's Cyber »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #435 on: December 08, 2020, 12:15:57 AM »
I got to lvl 40 in the outlaw pass, doing high level bounties + moonshine deliveries seems to be doing the trick. I do think the Halloween and Outlaw Pass 4 are stopgap content for something much bigger down the line. I'm glad we got expanded Bounty Hunter levels, really hope they do the same for Moonshiner eventually.

I want a next gen patch too but knowing R* they'll make me rebuy the game at some point.  :-\
They’ve announced moving to a separate online model, $20 for online only, purchasable temporarily discounted now for $5. I think that’s their next GEN model.

I have noticed that many of the games I purchased on Xbox 360 are available and playable on Xbox one as long as they didn’t have an HD remaster, or of course a specific SKU for the newer platform. Which is the long way of saying I think you are right, they are going to make you rebuy at some point.

I have been playing the hell out of it, and I am at level 53 and the outlaw pass, I think. I’m level 51 or 52 as a player.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #436 on: December 13, 2020, 07:38:58 PM »
https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/gaming/1366229/Red-Dead-Redemption-2-update-Red-Dead-Online-DLC-release-time-RDR2-expansion

This is that thing I mentioned - we'll see where they take it.

Looks like I finished the Outlaw Pass 4 (level 100), which recouped the Gold Bar investment, just like you said. I'm Rank 20 in Bounty Hunter, so I bought the Prestigious Bounty Hunter License as well. I'm Rank 20 in Bootlegger now. Much slower progress in Naturalist and Collector.

I'd like to have a private chat with whichever designer decided to make Naturalist Harriet occasionally unavailable due to participation in the primary/first/most-common activity in Free Roam. Having her get shrill on me is never any fun.

Let's Cyber

« Reply #437 on: December 14, 2020, 01:29:10 AM »
I'd probably focus on getting Naturalist to 20 while doing collector/moonshiner shit on the side. It's kind of a pain to hunt/trade while getting Harriet pissed at you.

Once you get Naturalist to 20, you can forget about the role entirely aside from the dailies.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #438 on: December 14, 2020, 09:26:19 AM »
Thanks. I may do that for a day or two. I’m not sure why I jumped on naturalist before the other stuff.

Taking trader and then naturalist as my first two professions was a big mistake.

Now that I have enough potential tasks to join on a daily, I see that they don’t allow further ones to be completed after nine. They are putting the cap on the amount of gold that can be earned daily. I’m not sure if it was always that way, or if it’s new with the other nerfing they did with the most recent update.

I have never had a game disconnect me as much as this one. It’s remarkable. It surprises me that the game was able to ship with this many problems. It makes me wonder if I am experiencing some kind of latency problem which Rockstar is treating as cheating or something. Like some people use physical disconnect to induce advantaged lag. Maybe my 200 or so Ping is messing with that?

Let's Cyber

« Reply #439 on: December 15, 2020, 05:50:33 AM »
I have no idea what causes the disconnect issue. I've honestly had maybe 3 or 4 disconnects all year and it's never been a big issue on my end. That said, it happens quite frequently with some of the friends I play with. As in it will hits several times per week. Especially crappy when you're at the end of a bounty hunt or trader delivery. There have always been complaints about disconnects on the subreddit, too.

It might have something your NAT type but I really don't know.

Let's Cyber

« Reply #440 on: December 15, 2020, 05:55:13 AM »
Now that I have enough potential tasks to join on a daily, I see that they don’t allow further ones to be completed after nine. They are putting the cap on the amount of gold that can be earned daily. I’m not sure if it was always that way, or if it’s new with the other nerfing they did with the most recent update.
I think this started after Moonshiner or Naturalist. It was before the big gold nerf.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #441 on: December 15, 2020, 07:11:35 PM »
I’ve been disconnected “due to a fault on the Rockstar Games services“ four times so far this morning during an hour and a half of play. This is only slightly higher than average.

It is to the point where I am afraid to put anything on my horse, or use consumables with a time duration, because they’re just fucking wasted. Yesterday I used a blending tonic, was disconnected. Rejoined drank anotherBlending tonic, was disconnected again.

No fucking joke - maybe it’s a “disconnect tonic.”

Let's Cyber

« Reply #444 on: December 16, 2020, 06:33:39 AM »
Not just any animals, but a bunch of rare and legendary animals. That's pretty amazing.  :lol

Let's Cyber

« Reply #445 on: December 21, 2020, 08:26:40 PM »
Pretty sure we'll get map-wide snow tomorrow, not sure if we'll get a Christmas gift login like last year.

I'm sitting on 470 gold and 36k bucks. Only a few more levels of the outlaw pass and then I'm probably done for a few months. I'll keep my fingers crossed for a big update next spring/summer.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #446 on: December 26, 2020, 02:51:31 AM »
We got the snow, new decorations for the lockbox, and all of St. Denis is done up like a French tart. Very pretty.

Unfortunately, the snow makes it just about impossible to see the VFX that denote where herbs and animals are, and the lighting is so realistic in a snowstorm that it's more or less impossible to see almost anything.

BAH! HUMBUG!

I hit Outlaw Pass 100 a bit back, and need to play the game less or I'll be really-fucking-done with it. I've NEVER played a game that kicks me out of online sessions as much this one, and I had 2-IN-A-ROW Moonshiner tasks crash to endless loading screens. I need to play something less buggy. It's seriously maddening.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #447 on: December 13, 2021, 05:47:18 PM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/reddeadredemption/comments/rfi577/1899_was_truly_a_fascinating_time/

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Should’ve been this version:
[close]

Bebpo

« Reply #448 on: December 13, 2021, 08:02:31 PM »
I still think about this from time to time. Pretty much the most immersive game I ever played in my life. The stuff around camp was so dynamically alive there is nothing else out there.

While GTAVI should be great and GTAV was great, I'd be ok with less GTA and more RDR.

Svejk

« Reply #449 on: December 13, 2021, 10:30:45 PM »
Just picked this up on a recent sale.  Never was big into westerns until recently...
Just another massive open world game to stack on top of Valhalla and Cyberpunk...  :killme

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #450 on: December 13, 2021, 11:42:11 PM »
I still think about this from time to time. Pretty much the most immersive game I ever played in my life. The stuff around camp was so dynamically alive there is nothing else out there.

While GTAVI should be great and GTAV was great, I'd be ok with less GTA and more RDR.
Financials and "the wisdom of the mob" means that GTA VI will happen, and R3D D3AD will be a LONG WAYS OFF.

I've been occasionally revisiting BULLY as well. Remember when the composer said he had been working on audio treatments for BULLY 2? Must've been for an internal demo. I don't imagine we'll ever see that.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #451 on: December 14, 2021, 03:16:04 AM »
GTAV got as big as it did thanks to GTAOnline though.
Which incidentally probably costs them a fraction of a fraction to produce content for, compared to the single-player content.

I think, especially now that Dan Houser is out, we're likely to see a very big shift in how they'll approach GTAVI.

Although RDR2 sold very very well, it still felt like the swan's song of a R* that's about to change their tune, to me.

Tuckers Law

« Reply #452 on: December 15, 2021, 01:59:49 PM »
Just picked this up on a recent sale.  Never was big into westerns until recently...
Just another massive open world game to stack on top of Valhalla and Cyberpunk...  :killme

I finally started this up and the intro section just feels so slow.  Could be it’s just me, but I’m finding myself missing the ole days of straight into the action GTA3-style.

Let's Cyber

« Reply #453 on: December 15, 2021, 02:16:47 PM »
I'll keep my fingers crossed for a big update next spring/summer.
lol how did that turn out idiot

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #454 on: December 15, 2021, 04:19:37 PM »

I finally started this up and the intro section just feels so slow.  Could be it’s just me, but I’m finding myself missing the ole days of straight into the action GTA3-style.
Oh boy, you will hate this.

Tuckers Law

« Reply #455 on: December 15, 2021, 04:34:36 PM »
Oh I don’t doubt that I’ll have a great time with this, I loved the shit out of Redemption 1 (especially the expansion) and I’m fine with deliberately-slower paced games. That response of mine probably says more about my  own headspace with my free time at the moment.

Fucking work  :rage

Tuckers Law

« Reply #456 on: December 27, 2021, 11:58:05 AM »
Been playing this on and off the last week and I'm finally starting to get the running joke in South Park about it.  There's just so much shit to do in this game.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #457 on: December 27, 2021, 02:06:05 PM »
Yeah i think it's one of those games where, general slow pace aside, you have to pace yourself, and not try to do absolutely everything as soon as it's available, or you're gonna burn out by the end.
Basically mixing a bit of story progression with some side stuff here and there.

There are plenty of story points where you're asked to chill and fuck around the map, anyway.

Svejk

« Reply #458 on: December 28, 2021, 11:15:11 AM »
I'm still near the beginning parts in the snow.  Just did the hunting tutorial..  Game hasn't clicked yet.  Good grief is the gun play slow.  Hell, everything is slow.  Guess I've been too adjusted to Cyberpunk's speed, but I haven't yet adapted to this pace.  Trying not to nitpick on certain things, but still need to give it more time.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #459 on: December 28, 2021, 11:20:56 AM »
I'm still near the beginning parts in the snow.  Just did the hunting tutorial..  Game hasn't clicked yet.  Good grief is the gun play slow.  Hell, everything is slow.  Guess I've been too adjusted to Cyberpunk's speed, but I haven't yet adapted to this pace.  Trying not to nitpick on certain things, but still need to give it more time.

28% of the game is spent watching animations they worked on for 8 years.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #460 on: January 04, 2022, 07:51:51 PM »

Bonus Update: I've played the shit out of Red Dead Online on PS4/PS5, even bought the standalone RDO on Xbone in case Sceneman ever wants to posse-up and regulate again. It's great. But I'd largely abandoned the singleplayer game somewhere after they enter St. Denis, and only recently went back to it. It's a surprising difference from the Online game. I mean, GTA Online "Free Mode" is a wasteland of miscreants who can hunt you anywhere on the map because everyone can see anyone's player-pips on the map. Imagine having your phone's "find your friends" feature permanently turned on for EVERYONE. In RDO, player-pip visibility is limited to your immediate area, so griefing is a little less horrible.

Anyway, I was surprised to note that the Fast Travel feature in the main game actually plays a little montage of the various locations en route, giving a sense of actual travel. It's gorgeous.

I'd forgotten how much "content" the game features. In any town, there are a number of Stranger encounters, some of which have multiple parts. There are chance encounters with beggars and charity workers, wrongs that need righting, and even some wrongdoing opportunities. It's surprising how rich the world feels after having been in its multiplayer version for so long.

Let's Cyber

« Reply #461 on: January 06, 2022, 08:23:21 AM »
It feels much more like a living and breathing world in the single player for sure. They've added a bit more of the random events in multi after the updates but they are either 1) far too infrequent or 2) you get the same one a bunch in a row and it breaks immersion.

I've saved that lady from the alligators probably dozens times. Some of the other events I've only gotten once and never again.

The first Role update in Fall 2019 added so many QoL touches and much needed content, but they need another substantial drop like that to drum up interest in the player base. The Outlaw update was a fucking bust.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #462 on: January 06, 2022, 07:40:28 PM »
I've seen the showdowns in Rhodes and Valentine repeatedly, but only saw the Alligators for the first time yesterday! :lol
I rode up, shot all four alligators surrounding her, then went to skin one. As I into the skinning animation, I saw a new alligator lumbering in. It took me down fast, then killed the lady. First new thing to happen to me in RDO in ages!

Going back to singleplayer, Arthur doesn't know any of the herbs or animals, so I've been trying to hunt critters to improve my Satchel carrying capacity (RDO: 40 items in every Satchel category vs. RDR2: 10 items), but everything's just "UNKNOWN ANIMAL." C'mon. It's a fucking chipmunk. You just saw it.

Anyway, yeah, the discrepancy between the amount of love GTA Online gets compared to RDO is legendary. I'm happy there's still stuff for me to do in the singleplayer.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #463 on: January 06, 2022, 09:17:48 PM »
GTAO also makes them billions of dollars, so there's that.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #464 on: January 06, 2022, 09:32:32 PM »
Yeah, I get it. To overindulge in TLAs, the ROI on RDO is chickenfeed compared to GTA.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #465 on: January 27, 2022, 10:19:02 PM »
I thought I'd finished RDR2 single-player, but anyone who has actually played it through was almost certainly laughing at my earlier, naïve post.

Epilogue I, done.
Epilogue II, I'm 2 hours into it.  :-\

I thought there might be a think like the original's where they turn me loose with a different character to mop up open-world stuff, like Stranger missions or even a Story mission or two. I wasn't expecting this amount of content after the "main story" is done.

Let's Cyber

« Reply #466 on: January 28, 2022, 03:56:14 AM »
I loved the epilogue stuff. Some thought it was too fan-servicey but it hit all the right notes for me.

I really want a RDR1 remaster in the new engine.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #467 on: January 28, 2022, 05:14:38 AM »
Maybe they'll put the GTA remaster team on it.

Let's Cyber

« Reply #468 on: January 28, 2022, 12:49:07 PM »
:mjcry

Tuckers Law

« Reply #469 on: January 28, 2022, 03:02:15 PM »
RDR1 was the first thing I grabbed from the store when I got my Series S.  I’ll take whatever remastering Microsoft can give me instead of setting my money on fire by paying for one done by Rockstar.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #470 on: January 29, 2022, 01:59:03 AM »
I loved the epilogue stuff. Some thought it was too fan-servicey but it hit all the right notes for me.

I really want a RDR1 remaster in the new engine.

It’s very good. I'm also enjoying the epilogue story very much. It makes sense.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
All the love and respect afforded to Arthur, showing that his choices led to more good in the world, I love it. It’s probably my favorite game story ever.
[close]