Author Topic: Other Forums |OT| ♀ C O R E V A L U E S ♀ Sponsored By THQNordic  (Read 5904219 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: The Other Forums Trash Thread for Other Forums' Trash
« Reply #22260 on: July 21, 2018, 11:09:49 AM »
these two dudes have made an entire career from it breh:

BisMarckie

« Reply #22261 on: July 21, 2018, 11:13:30 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Now that you posted top secret info here: Better lock your doors and look out for potential Mossad agents the next time you leave the house...

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #22262 on: July 21, 2018, 11:15:55 AM »
Chomsky has a tendency to speak smugly outside of his expertise but it's pretty rich to call him a pseudo intellectual, especially from "Marvel is the pinnacle of cinema" Era :lol
ὕβρις

Optimus

• Lieutenant colonel, 26th Hate Machine battalion
« Reply #22263 on: July 21, 2018, 11:18:00 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

what's your point?

Rman

« Reply #22265 on: July 21, 2018, 11:27:51 AM »
Does ERA know what Whataboutism is?

https://www.resetera.com/threads/im-a-big-fan-of-noam-chomsky-and-he-thinks-russiagate-is-left-wing-hysteria.56902/page-3

It's the reply du jour for almost every political debate.

benjipwns

« Reply #22266 on: July 21, 2018, 11:33:40 AM »
Quote from: Krejlooc
It's perfectly called for here. BTW save your time quoting me with a reply.
:whoo

benjipwns

« Reply #22267 on: July 21, 2018, 11:36:35 AM »
Replace "election interference" with "slavery" and you get a decent idea why the Russia-apologia about America getting its comeuppance for past behavior is a pretty bad rebuttal
I'm going to need some time with this one.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #22268 on: July 21, 2018, 11:40:26 AM »
This thread does not appear to have been made in good faith.

:beli

So just like the forum it was posted on then.

:ohyou

benjipwns

« Reply #22269 on: July 21, 2018, 11:42:40 AM »
The group of people being most negatively effected by Trump's presidency is a completely different group than the people who have interfered with other sovereign states or even supported that interference.
Obama supporters? Seems like an obvious one.

benjipwns

« Reply #22270 on: July 21, 2018, 11:45:29 AM »
It's only the first point made in the OT.
Womp womp.
:gddr5

benjipwns

« Reply #22271 on: July 21, 2018, 11:46:53 AM »
He views everything through the lense of cultural empirialism and despite being politically left as hell his foreign policy is basically in line with Ron Paul's.

He's a very important linguist and an edge Lord leftist hack on polictics.
:paul

benjipwns

« Reply #22272 on: July 21, 2018, 11:55:51 AM »
It's impossible to say because despite people wanting to label outrage culture/mob justice on the left nobody seems to be able to give one example from them when you can't take a step without tripping on an example from the right.

As a progressive I'd say the shit that happens in Snyder movies such as turning heroes who are supposed to believe in justice and reform into murderers or alt-right washing a historical group of white paedophiles into a master race who hate their savage enemies for committing the act is more harmful than making bad jokes 10 years ago on twitter. He'll never apologise for it and he'll never face any consequences.
yes, ZACH SNYDER is the real criminal here! RELEASE THE SNYDER CUT SO WE CAN SEE WHAT CRIMES HE'S HIDING!

and in the other James Gunn thread?
https://www.resetera.com/posts/10635665/
Quote from: excelsiorlef
Quote from: Trojita
That doesn’t make any sense in the context of your conversation. I’m sure excelsiorlef is scratching their head too.
*Her head
I was gender neutral. Is that a problem?
I'm a woman

Letting you know.
Okay? Is using gender neutral language bad now?
It would be if you kept doing it now that you know.

nudemacusers

« Reply #22273 on: July 21, 2018, 12:09:26 PM »
have we found a way to tie the failure of ghostbusters 2016 into this
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #22274 on: July 21, 2018, 12:18:53 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/a-former-valve-employee-talks-about-his-experience.55945/
 :gaben
sounds like a FUCKING NIGHTMARE. I was getting an upset stomach and a flush face just reading those choice quotes. Almost on the levels of the mornings I had chemo therapy. I hope everyone that can and wants to leave, does so and are better off. As much as I think I like Valve, I have to remind myself of this now. Maybe it's time to back off using Steam once and for all.
Shocking that Valve sounds like a Libertarian Lord of the Flies hellscape of an office to work in
Very ominous tone in both these tweets (probably in my head). I feel like this is the beginning of a horror/drama movie and we'll see what she's tweeting in a couple years.
if anyone is in this situation as a developer, realise that there is a boom right now in companies going remote-only, so you don't have to deal with this bullshit office politics.

Head on over to www.remoteok.io or www.unicornhunt.com and get yourself out of that place.
What a shit hole.
To those saying this is typical corporate culture, not just at places like this, you are entirely wrong and must work at a horrible corporation. This shit is ridiculous, and Gabe (Valve) is lucky to have created Half-Life and even more lucky the community created Counter Strike because otherwise they would have been dead before Steam was a thing. Also, I don’t understand how there are still so many Valve “fanboys” at this point. They have been a shit video game developer for a long time now (yes I know Dota 2 exists) and the fact that they abandoned Half-Life in the middle of its story is not defendable.
Sounds like a dystopian nightmare.
Glad i stopped buying games on Steam some while ago.
Why would I work at a place like that? Do they get 6 figures? Even then I wouldn't last 6 months.
RUN... run away from these places.... they have nothing to do with living a real life. Corporate = living a non human life, that really has no meaning at all..... it's all just empty, fantasy, crazy nonsense.

maybe you can spread some more light on this, but hasn't valve had reputation for being kind of unpleasant to work for for a while now? iirc i read a former employee a while back talk about how the 'open' structure of valve was a nice idea but lead to clique-y divisions within the company

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #22275 on: July 21, 2018, 12:25:45 PM »
maybe you can spread some more light on this, but hasn't valve had reputation for being kind of unpleasant to work for for a while now? iirc i read a former employee a while back talk about how the 'open' structure of valve was a nice idea but lead to clique-y divisions within the company
https://www.reddit.com/r/valve/comments/8zmp07/former_valve_employee_tweets_his_experience_at/

benjipwns

« Reply #22276 on: July 21, 2018, 12:29:10 PM »
forgot to get an expert opinion:

Quote from: ZattMurdock
lol @ the sentiment of this being the fault of the “alt-right” when it is totally unimaginable that he would’ve been fired without the ridiculous political corectness and language war that modern far-left politics have stood for.
""alt-right"". "ridiculous political corectness and language war that modern far-left politics". I see. Mods?
They got Gunn fired, but the majority of people is getting Gunn's back. So even if it worked to the point of getting Gunn fired, that's exactly why we need to make this a point and get Gunn back to do what he loves. We will bring him back.
This isn't a situation like Roseanne. Disney was baited by the alt-right. Here's hoping that he will be indeed re-hired. This is disheartening and an win that I feel geek twitter can't let the alt-right get.

nudemacusers

« Reply #22277 on: July 21, 2018, 12:33:20 PM »
ACTIVATE... GEEK TWITTER
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

benjipwns

« Reply #22278 on: July 21, 2018, 12:36:29 PM »
have we found a way to tie the failure of ghostbusters 2016 into this

who is ted danson?

• ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀✋💎✋🤬
« Reply #22279 on: July 21, 2018, 12:40:53 PM »
Geek Twitter? Isn't that 95% white, male, straight and super problematic?
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

benjipwns

« Reply #22280 on: July 21, 2018, 01:08:47 PM »
It has been harrowing watching these threads unfold over the last 24 hours. I am not a religious man, but I firmly respect the Christian concepts of contrition and penance. We are all imperfect beings, we are all capable of sin, and yet we are all capable of growing ourselves into better people. By judging Gunn like this, we've rejected his penance, his acts of growth....why? Because he dare repent in the first place? Are we truly so saintly?

It's also indicative of just how much the sands of time wash away our history. So much of this "outrage" is built on the idea that these are new revelations, and not artifacts of years past. It was already even a point of controversy before! And yet this has worked, in part because we have allowed ourselves to forget.
:dead :dead :dead

Propagandhim

« Reply #22281 on: July 21, 2018, 01:11:26 PM »
It has been harrowing watching these threads unfold over the last 24 hours. I am not a religious man, but I firmly respect the Christian concepts of contrition and penance. We are all imperfect beings, we are all capable of sin, and yet we are all capable of growing ourselves into better people. By judging Gunn like this, we've rejected his penance, his acts of growth....why? Because he dare repent in the first place? Are we truly so saintly?

It's also indicative of just how much the sands of time wash away our history. So much of this "outrage" is built on the idea that these are new revelations, and not artifacts of years past. It was already even a point of controversy before! And yet this has worked, in part because we have allowed ourselves to forget.
:dead :dead :dead

Christ reveals himself in mysterious ways.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #22282 on: July 21, 2018, 01:15:22 PM »
Call me a conservative and a cranky guy but I have trouble taking seriously any kind of supposed transversal work organization, at least in anything with more than 5 employees. I'm not surprised many feel the hierarchy at Valve is still very much there, just made more opaque (and thus much less efficient). I guess their bottom line is not hurting too much and at the end of the day it's all that matters, innit ? But they're seating on the Steam cash cow so I'm skeptical this would translate well to a normal company. From the outside it certainly seems like they can't complete a game for shit and have been sidetracked in ridiculous projects ever since they moved to this supposed work utopia.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #22283 on: July 21, 2018, 01:18:39 PM »
Can we not have "Valve fanboys", please? Shit is close to platform warring and does nothing to help conversation.

:noooo
Is it console warring (:lol) when there's no console or games to stan for ?
ὕβρις

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #22284 on: July 21, 2018, 01:23:13 PM »
Call me a conservative and a cranky guy but I have trouble taking seriously any kind of supposed transversal work organization, at least in anything with more than 5 employees. I'm not surprised many feel the hierarchy at Valve is still very much there, just made more opaque (and thus much less efficient). I guess their bottom line is not hurting too much and at the end of the day it's all that matters, innit ? But they're seating on the Steam cash cow so I'm skeptical this would translate well to a normal company. From the outside it certainly seems like they can't complete a game for shit and have been sidetracked in ridiculous projects ever since they moved to this supposed work utopia.

i think it's a little surprising that this kind of shit can cultivate at a company that has almost zero output. like how does this culture develop at a company that doesn't make any fuckin games? are dudes seriously getting in pissing contest about developing tf2 patches or whatever? even a large part of their cosmetics are sourced from the workshop! what the fuck do these people do all day!?

benjipwns

« Reply #22285 on: July 21, 2018, 01:23:39 PM »
It's always been their thing though, and they basically re-made every game they've done, Half-Life, Half-Life 2, and Team Fortress 2 all were nearly if not totally restarted at some point. L4D2 is also more or less Valve proper doing their own version of L4D.

I think people have read too much into the snippets of Valve and extrapolated it into more than it really ever has been and they're secretive about everything so never bother to correct the record in detail. The flat structure and skunkworks projects have always probably had an asterisk to them. Team Fortress 2 is arguably the best example of this, it was initially the companies main project but got killed for a variety of reasons and they shifted into HL2/Source and when it was revived later it was completely different. Yet Robin Walker remained the creative lead on both versions, "his" vision changed from a realistic war simulator to an action-adventure cartoon.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 01:31:59 PM by benjipwns »

benjipwns

« Reply #22286 on: July 21, 2018, 01:29:04 PM »
https://twitter.com/richgel999/status/1018611672137621504

https://twitter.com/richgel999/status/1019340859819429888

https://twitter.com/richgel999/status/1019339278961143808

A few weeks after this post went out, some very senior developers from Microsoft came by for a discreet visit. They loved our post, because it lit a fire underneath Microsoft's executives to get their act together and keep supporting Direct3D development. (Remember, at this point it was years since the last DirectX SDK release. The DirectX team was on life support.) Linux is obviously extremely influential.

It's perhaps hard to believe, but the Steam Linux effort made a significant impact inside of multiple corporations. It was a surprisingly influential project. Valve being deeply involved with Linux also gives the company a "worse case scenario" hedge vs. Microsoft. It's like a club held over MS's heads. They just need to keep spending the resources to keep their in-house Linux expertise in a healthy state.

another former Valve employee:
https://twitter.com/BadMetaphor/status/1019340707553689600

Also because they've been sidetracked developing APIs (Steam Controller, Vulkan) hardware (Controller, Link), and VR. (Source: https://www.pcgamer.com/gabe-newell-hooray-valves-going-to-start-shipping-games-again/ )

benjipwns

« Reply #22287 on: July 21, 2018, 01:30:51 PM »
from the ERA thread, an actual developer unlike stufte:
Quote from: riotous
I know 2 Valve employees who love it and have worked there for years. Neither are super high up or powerful either.

Propagandhim

« Reply #22288 on: July 21, 2018, 01:37:48 PM »
 Valve's corporate structure is bewildering. Dota 2 pulls in insane amounts of revenue, for what appears to be very little work.   Patches every 6 months and a maybe 1 or 2 heroes a year, if that.   As of January 2018, the development team on Dota 2 had somewhere over 30 people but under 40.  Unlike Riot Games, they have no proper customer support, outsource most of their skins, don't hire employees to liason and work at e-sports studios, don't have multiple offices around the world except for one in Luxembourg with 5 people in it, no community managers, don't have a independent balance teams and a hero design teams, are not involved in localization, and literally do 0 marketing for the game. 

TI 2018's prize pool is over 20 million dollars.    In 2015, Popular Science (corroborated by venture beat ) wrote an article stating that Dota 2 makes 18 million dollars per month.  In 2017, SuperData Research published that it made 406 million in revenue for 2017.  What the fuck are they doing with all this money?  Why is the team size so small?  It's insane. 

benjipwns

« Reply #22289 on: July 21, 2018, 01:39:11 PM »
What the fuck are they doing with all this money?  and what the fuck are they doing with all this money?
Influencing elections in foreign countries.

Working with Russia: https://www.pcgamer.com/gabe-newell-on-piracy-and-steams-success-in-russia/

Propagandhim

« Reply #22290 on: July 21, 2018, 01:39:54 PM »
What the fuck are they doing with all this money?  and what the fuck are they doing with all this money?
Influencing elections in foreign countries.

Working with Russia: https://www.pcgamer.com/gabe-newell-on-piracy-and-steams-success-in-russia/

Yeah, not to mention: what the fuck are they doing with all this money?

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #22291 on: July 21, 2018, 01:41:26 PM »
Quote from: Selflearner
Republicans accepted help from a white supremacist authoritarian state that oppresses women and LGBT people and maintains only a thin veneer of "democracy" - in other words, a far-right fantasy land - and you accuse Democrats of being "to the right" on the issue?

Is it really a fantasy if it exists though ?
ὕβρις

LionPride

« Reply #22292 on: July 21, 2018, 01:43:46 PM »
It is very strange

That people on PurpleGAF refuse

to understand that

1. Gunn should have been fired, because you cannot make jokes about nutting on children's faces, especially as a 40 yr old man at the time

2. This is a hit by alt-right cunts but shit that's the world we're in rn

3. He should have deleted the tweets back in 2012 when he first got caught up, didn't, and is now paying the consequences of getting involved with racists on twitter and still having this shit on deck

He's a well liked white guy, it's not like he's going to be out of work when people who have committed actual crimes are protected and still working

but no, those fuckers want to act like it's the end times. Jesus fucking Christ

Stupid ass motherfuckers, it's one or the other with em and they won't even admit that if it was a figure they disliked instead of Gunn they wouldn't be caping this goddamn hard for someone who made jokes bout nutting on children's faces

agrajag

« Reply #22293 on: July 21, 2018, 01:47:19 PM »
Well shit, LionPride is more reasonable than 99.9% of Reee
spoiler (click to show/hide)
at least on this particular topic
[close]

Propagandhim

« Reply #22294 on: July 21, 2018, 01:47:42 PM »
It is very strange

to understand that

1. Gunn should have been fired, because you cannot make jokes about nutting on children's faces, especially as a 40 yr old man at the time

3. He should have deleted the tweets back in 2012 when he first got caught up, didn't, and is now paying the consequences of getting involved with racists on twitter and still having this shit on deck

He's a well liked white guy, it's not like he's going to be out of work when people who have committed actual crimes are protected and still working

Stupid ass motherfuckers, it's one or the other with em and they won't even admit that if it was a figure they disliked instead of Gunn they wouldn't be caping this goddamn hard for someone who made jokes bout nutting on children's faces

Yep, pretty much.

benjipwns

« Reply #22295 on: July 21, 2018, 01:48:16 PM »
Probably a Snyder fan...

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #22296 on: July 21, 2018, 01:48:28 PM »
I mean yeah maybe... Though just scrubbing tweets feels a bit shallow, for all parties. Let's just pretend it never happened.

How about debating instead of getting frustrated? This is a very weird behavior some of the usuals at PoliERA have. You get frustrated because your worldview is being challenged, claim you are over with the thread and then run to PoliERA OT to whine about how OT politics sucks because people dare to actually have a conversation.
Ah. We're on to the 'it's just an opinion, bro' stage. Ok then.

:smug

spoiler (click to show/hide)
:crybaby
[close]
ὕβρις

benjipwns

« Reply #22297 on: July 21, 2018, 01:51:02 PM »
um, no cross thread drama please, keep all conversations only related to the discussion in the thread, don't go stalking and snooping on members across the forum, respect their privacy, please do not decommunitize their community in an inflammatory manner

beaks, this goes double for you
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 02:00:00 PM by benjipwns »

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #22298 on: July 21, 2018, 02:20:57 PM »
It is very strange

to understand that

This is pretty much on point.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #22299 on: July 21, 2018, 02:22:22 PM »
Valve's corporate structure is bewildering. Dota 2 pulls in insane amounts of revenue, for what appears to be very little work.   Patches every 6 months and a maybe 1 or 2 heroes a year, if that.   As of January 2018, the development team on Dota 2 had somewhere over 30 people but under 40.  Unlike Riot Games, they have no proper customer support, outsource most of their skins, don't hire employees to liason and work at e-sports studios, don't have multiple offices around the world except for one in Luxembourg with 5 people in it, no community managers, don't have a independent balance teams and a hero design teams, are not involved in localization, and literally do 0 marketing for the game. 

TI 2018's prize pool is over 20 million dollars.    In 2015, Popular Science (corroborated by venture beat ) wrote an article stating that Dota 2 makes 18 million dollars per month.  In 2017, SuperData Research published that it made 406 million in revenue for 2017.  What the fuck are they doing with all this money?  Why is the team size so small?  It's insane.

for real! where the fuck does it go? they're sure as shit not putting it back into steam, which is held together with scotch tape and elmers glue, aside from shoehorning in a terrible discord clone or a largely useless mirroring tool every once in a while

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #22300 on: July 21, 2018, 02:27:18 PM »
My issue with this whole thing is that Gunn should have been fired back in 2012. That's when this stuff came up the first time, right after he landed the marvel gig.

That they fire him now is just reactionary and stupid, but that's also the kind of outrage culture RE has been promoting

venereology

« Reply #22301 on: July 21, 2018, 02:29:04 PM »
are you guys just being prudes and standoffish about bad jokes just because you think it's the opposite of what era thinks?

I thought you knuckleheads had thicker skin

agrajag

« Reply #22302 on: July 21, 2018, 02:32:27 PM »
are you guys just being prudes and standoffish about bad jokes just because you think it's the opposite of what era thinks?

User actioned: accusing forum of being a hivemind, history of prior of infractions, account in junior phase

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #22303 on: July 21, 2018, 02:34:49 PM »

the jokes are fine, he's just stupid for keeping them on his twitter while working for disney. whitta was mocked for it, but he made the right move scrubbing all gaf posts about star wars after he got hired to write SW stuff.

nudemacusers

« Reply #22304 on: July 21, 2018, 02:36:47 PM »
knuckleheads
Warning: Intentional, weaponized misunderstanding of human bone structure
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #22305 on: July 21, 2018, 02:38:06 PM »
He should have done a whitta and immediately tried to erase his online history.

venereology

« Reply #22306 on: July 21, 2018, 02:38:57 PM »
you're not wrong there but twitter makes it excruciatingly hard to remove tweets. especially ones beyond a certain date. they won't even surface if they're past like 3000 tweets.

he might not have ever tried, in which case, well ya fucked up buddy. but whatever.

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #22307 on: July 21, 2018, 02:40:39 PM »
There's always a way

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #22308 on: July 21, 2018, 02:42:49 PM »
One tweet would've been whatever but this...phonebook of debauchery?

Check that man's hard drives  :hitler

venereology

« Reply #22309 on: July 21, 2018, 02:49:46 PM »
most plugins/sites that help you bulk delete make you pay for the privilege of going all the way back. they KNOW.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #22310 on: July 21, 2018, 02:59:27 PM »
It is very strange

to understand that

I'm sure they understand it, it's just a display of their double standards.

railGUN

• If my bones are breaking would you tell me that I'm weak?
« Reply #22311 on: July 21, 2018, 03:04:45 PM »
Looking for any kind of logical consistency on REE in 2018.

:heh
Fish<

venereology

« Reply #22312 on: July 21, 2018, 03:07:21 PM »
cut them some slack, they just got tricked into witch hunting someone that they actually like by actual (not imagined) alt-righters

they're still in the anger/denial phase

Cauliflower Of Love

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #22314 on: July 21, 2018, 03:34:45 PM »
you're not wrong there but twitter makes it excruciatingly hard to remove tweets. especially ones beyond a certain date. they won't even surface if they're past like 3000 tweets.

he might not have ever tried, in which case, well ya fucked up buddy. but whatever.

there are a plethora of third party tools that let you wipe out your entire history before a specified date. surely disney could have used some of the billion dollars this dude made them to get an intern to figure this out

nudemacusers

« Reply #22315 on: July 21, 2018, 03:43:51 PM »

there are a plethora of third party tools that let you wipe out your entire history before a specified date. surely disney could have used some of the billion dollars this dude made them to get an intern to figure this out
maybe they wanted this all along  :ohhh
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #22316 on: July 21, 2018, 03:55:43 PM »

#latestagecapitalism
ὕβρις

nudemacusers

« Reply #22317 on: July 21, 2018, 03:56:09 PM »
lmao now the liberal mcu twitterverse, reeling from gunngate, is now firing 'whatabout x' fingerpointing barbs across other movie studios for depp and others on account of problematic histories, not taking but a mere second to realize they are ironically playing into the very same damaging, weaponized* social justice that got us all here in the first place.

*resetera word of the day; double points in scrabble.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #22318 on: July 21, 2018, 04:01:02 PM »
When did everyone who doesn't like Marvel or Star Wars become the alt right?

nudemacusers

« Reply #22319 on: July 21, 2018, 04:02:16 PM »
When did everyone who doesn't like Marvel or Star Wars become the alt right?
was TLJ your top movie of 2017?

Comedy Central just announced they will not be renewing Stella for a second season after seeing Black's controversial tweets.
this was an amazing troll tbh :lol

tho if that twitter pizzagate dude could travel back and time and blink stella from existence i'll accept the guardians trade.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽