Author Topic: Other Forums |OT| ♀ C O R E V A L U E S ♀ Sponsored By THQNordic  (Read 5892311 times)

tummyfat

Re: Other Forums Trash Thread for Other Forums' Trash |OT| That ain't it, chief
« Reply #42960 on: November 10, 2018, 11:48:09 AM »
(she’s bi)
(he’s fucking black)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #42961 on: November 10, 2018, 11:51:54 AM »
Quote from: Nepenthe
We don't know how she would've been characterized as a black woman because Blizzard didn't give her the chance to be a black woman.
newsfeed

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #42962 on: November 10, 2018, 11:56:31 AM »
It's fine to want a female black character but RE has to turn this again into some victimhood campaign about how "of course the black women are ignored" seemingly not caring that far more ignored ethnicities have found representation.

You expect me to applaud some basic fucking human recognition that SHOULD'VE BEEN IN THE GAME REGARDLESS and should not even be a question as to whether those ethnicities should be included?

You don't applaud mediocrity.  You don't applaud the bare minimum.  It should be fucking baseline par-for-the-course at this point.  No I'm not going to cheer for underrepresented ethnicities playing second fiddle to the white man as usual.  Call me when Blizzard makes an AAA game where the entire cast is aboriginal, then I'll give a standing ovation.

Until that day, do better.
Uncle

benjipwns

« Reply #42963 on: November 10, 2018, 12:03:52 PM »
Quote from: Slayven
I just don't get the push back, it is like people who request FOV settings in PC games, such a benign and reasonable request.
seriously, just have someone eat lunch at their desk or something one day so they can throw a new character in

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #42964 on: November 10, 2018, 12:04:19 PM »
I'm actually quite annoyed at that whole discussion because of the prejudice against so called mixed characters that aren't 'good enough'. That's some hurtful shit that kids that come from two ethnicities have to deal with, being called "Oreos", "Bananas", etc. And the people who usually are leading the charge for  'diversity' never think what their language they are using are actually saying.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #42965 on: November 10, 2018, 12:05:38 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/fans-are-disappointed-that-overwatch-still-doesnt-have-a-black-woman-hero.80148/#post-14814088

User Banned (3 Days): Dismissing other members' concerns about representation
Like others have said, Overwatch has a lot of diversity. More than most games I'd say.

It's simply impossible to make everyone happy. People need to realize this.

There are also other races and ethnicities that aren't represented in Overwatch, but you don't see them complaining.

In fact, there are a lot of races and ethnicities not represented in games at all.

It is unrealistic to expect Blizzard to add every single race and ethnicity in the game. Blizzard has done a good job with its diverse cast of heroes.

That this copped a ban is an absolute fucking joke.
Why even pretend to allow discussion on sensitive topics if you're going to drop the ban hammer on anyone who dares to suggest that, you know, maybe some posters on Era are maybe not demanding things 'in good faith' or pushing an agenda.

You might as well just put Read OP: Blizzard are obviously racist and suggesting otherwise will get actioned and make it clear to everyone you don't give 2 shits about actual discussion

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #42966 on: November 10, 2018, 12:06:37 PM »
I'm a dumbshit

tummyfat

« Reply #42967 on: November 10, 2018, 12:07:23 PM »
Pharah is Canadian/Egyptian, what’s a good food insult for her? Maple Shawarma?

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #42968 on: November 10, 2018, 12:07:27 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/fans-are-disappointed-that-overwatch-still-doesnt-have-a-black-woman-hero.80148/page-2#post-14814872

User Banned (5 Days): History of characterizing concerns surrounding inclusivity as insincere

It's just become exhausting to have these conversations when people are so quick to go straight for the throat. I don't blame those who are upset over representation, what they feel are their real feelings. I just don't feel like the conversation will ever lead to anything better than "let's drag these people for this thing."

"It'd always be great if there was more diversity, but I feel like these type of threads are dominated by kneejerk acusations of intolerance"

"No they don't. And guess what you're banned now you racist"

benjipwns

« Reply #42969 on: November 10, 2018, 12:10:17 PM »
I'm actually quite annoyed at that whole discussion because of the prejudice against so called mixed characters that aren't 'good enough'. That's some hurtful shit that kids that come from two ethnicities have to deal with, being called "Oreos", "Bananas", etc. And the people who usually are leading the charge for  'diversity' never think what their language they are using are actually saying.
Please don't try and cut in the progressive stack. This is a welcoming place for all voices to be heard, okay?

benjipwns

« Reply #42970 on: November 10, 2018, 12:14:00 PM »
Do we know yet if there are any black women even on Blizzard's Overwatch character creation staff? Also, are they paying any content creators for the sayings and gestures in the game?

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #42971 on: November 10, 2018, 12:15:32 PM »

I'm sure some diner had a Pork Like An Egyptian sub in the 80s

benjipwns

« Reply #42972 on: November 10, 2018, 12:26:35 PM »
User Banned (5 Days): History of characterizing concerns surrounding inclusivity as insincere
earlier and simpler ban reasons that didn't test well with key demographics:
"history of attacking other members motives"
"history of accusing members of bad faith"

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #42973 on: November 10, 2018, 12:36:28 PM »
North Africans, Central Africans (what most people mean when they say Africans), West, East and Southern Africans are pretty different. Can't think of any non Northern African chars in video games except for Sheva, to be honest though she reminds me more of a Londoner than a west african

benjipwns

« Reply #42974 on: November 10, 2018, 12:48:31 PM »
Alright, ResetERA.com, listen up, if you don't want to be doxxed, the race to become the first user to post regarding "technomasculinity" starts now: https://pjmedia.com/trending/study-claims-men-who-play-video-games-perpetuate-technomasculinity/
A new study published by University of Idaho professor Robin Johnson argues that men who work in video game development, play video games, or who are simply passionate about gaming may in fact be perpetuating “technomasculinity.”

Johnson writes in the new piece “Technomasculinity and Its Production in Video Games” that after interviewing 20 video game developers, he discovered that “technomasculnity” is rampant in the gaming industry, hurting women and LGBTQ people in the process.
In his study, Johnson traces the development of technomasculinity in men from an early age. One man’s technomasculinity allegedly started when “his father [took] him to his government job and [allowed] him to play simple computer games.”
“Gender is socially organized in the West in a hierarchized binary differentiating men and women along supposedly natural or biological masculine and feminine traits,” said Johnson.

“The association between technology, masculinity, and what we think of as skilled work is still fundamental to the gendered division of labor,” and thus, the oppression of women and the gender pay gap, he added.

Any man who likes video games, plays video games, or develops video games is at risk of perpetuating technomasculnity — which, like all other forms of masculinity — allegedly hurt women by its mere existence.

“If you take gender away from the equation, there is nothing wrong with being able to demonstrate technical mastery,” Johnson told PJ Media.

“But as a form of masculinity it tends to exclude women from being seen as legitimate technically skilled individuals. Because being technically skilled is seen as masculine, you end up with the following associations: men = masculine = technically skilled, while women women = feminine = not technically skilled... that is a negative consequence.”
bonus points if you're apologizing for your role in perpetuating it in the process

benjipwns

« Reply #42975 on: November 10, 2018, 01:25:11 PM »
Yes, but are you addressing this part of his character?
One also cannot get a little uncomfortable with how fantastical his story is and the reality that was Bolsonaro's election and the embracing of right-wing fascism in Brazil we just witnessed.

benjipwns

« Reply #42976 on: November 10, 2018, 01:32:26 PM »
To me, Blizzard is starting to look like they have a lot to answer for, quite frankly:
Overwatch is great for representation. But it is not perfect, and arguably can never be, and I will directly quote Lindsay Ellis from her Pocahontas video as to why:

"The legacy of colonialism is baked into every facet of every culture on the planet."

The authenticity and quality of representation will always be murky and debatable because the lens with which we view representation of minorities in works not directly made by those people will inherently be made in a context built upon cultural norms that accept white supremacy as a status quo. In that vain, representation is not necessarily a concrete goal, an objective number or concept with which you can target with precision. It is an on-going process, one mechanism among many with which we use to help bang out the kinks of society. You don't ever nail it. You simply get better at it as society continues the march towards a world in which European colonialism is a horror of the past.

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #42977 on: November 10, 2018, 01:38:33 PM »
Quote from: Slayven
I just don't get the push back, it is like people who request FOV settings in PC games, such a benign and reasonable request.
seriously, just have someone eat lunch at their desk or something one day so they can throw a new character in

[close]

I can't believe slayven would equate black women to fov sliders. Tsk, tsk

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #42978 on: November 10, 2018, 01:41:32 PM »
what a shock that something resetti constantly bitches about nonstop is also something that will never be solved ever, so they will always have an excuse to bitch and whine forever that it's not good enough. it's almost like they complain for the sake of complaining and will remain that way forever :doge

benjipwns

« Reply #42979 on: November 10, 2018, 01:44:23 PM »
what a shock that something resetti constantly bitches about nonstop is also something that will never be solved ever, so they will always have an excuse to bitch and whine forever that it's not good enough. it's almost like they complain for the sake of complaining and will remain that way forever :doge
HEY YOU, NOT ALLOWED:

benjipwns

« Reply #42980 on: November 10, 2018, 01:50:50 PM »
Blizzard should use some of those piles of cash and release a Bastion sound pack that's just Angie Jordan voice clips from 30 Rock.

Everyone wins.

[close]

Propagandhim

« Reply #42981 on: November 10, 2018, 02:02:34 PM »
To me, Blizzard is starting to look like they have a lot to answer for, quite frankly:
Overwatch is great for representation. But it is not perfect, and arguably can never be, and I will directly quote Lindsay Ellis from her Pocahontas video as to why:

"The legacy of colonialism is baked into every facet of every culture on the planet."

The authenticity and quality of representation will always be murky and debatable because the lens with which we view representation of minorities in works not directly made by those people will inherently be made in a context built upon cultural norms that accept white supremacy as a status quo. In that vain, representation is not necessarily a concrete goal, an objective number or concept with which you can target with precision. It is an on-going process, one mechanism among many with which we use to help bang out the kinks of society. You don't ever nail it. You simply get better at it as society continues the march towards a world in which European colonialism is a horror of the past.

:lol :lol :lol

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #42982 on: November 10, 2018, 02:03:27 PM »
But then when you say "Its my way... 'til pay day" some west coast kid will go "oh cool, you play Overwatch?".
They're not from fucking New York. They don't know 'bout that New York life. Fuck those kids crossing my arbitrary subcultural distinction threshold.

Its straight up cultural erasure.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #42983 on: November 10, 2018, 02:11:28 PM »
Is the Sprinkler okay for white peoples? I got a wedding this weekend and I need to know.
©@©™

benjipwns

« Reply #42984 on: November 10, 2018, 02:13:03 PM »
Imagine this after PLAY OF THE GAME shows a robot murdering like six people:

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #42985 on: November 10, 2018, 02:35:17 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/fans-are-disappointed-that-overwatch-still-doesnt-have-a-black-woman-hero.80148/page-10#post-14825067

If we're going the route of asking whose definition is being used here, I will say right now the American one. I understand people complain about ERA's Americanism, but Overwatch is an American game by American developers played mainly by Americans and is a game trying to provide inclusivity from an American lens. We actually have some clout here.

:usacry :trumps

Propagandhim

« Reply #42986 on: November 10, 2018, 02:39:30 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/fans-are-disappointed-that-overwatch-still-doesnt-have-a-black-woman-hero.80148/page-10#post-14825067

If we're going the route of asking whose definition is being used here, I will say right now the American one. I understand people complain about ERA's Americanism, but Overwatch is an American game by American developers played mainly by Americans and is a game trying to provide inclusivity from an American lens. We actually have some clout here.

When does solipsism become inconvenient for these people? 

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #42987 on: November 10, 2018, 02:40:13 PM »

Ana and Pharah express absolutely nothing in terms of the sociopolitical ramifications of "black culture." They were born in an Arabic country, they speak Arabic, they dress in Arabic clothing, have Arabic voice actresses, and have not- as far as we know in lore- have had to engage in or deal with any of the systemic issues that black Egyptians actually face.

From my distinctly American perspective. Lucio is unmistakably black all day long. Ana and Pharah are Arabic people.

So, they're saying that a black guy who grew up in Egypt wouldn't be really black  :derp

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #42988 on: November 10, 2018, 02:43:21 PM »
OP makes a mistake by forgetting a word.

Everything is suspect with these fucking idiots.

Also isn't that avatar a derivitave of that racist nintendo character?

benjipwns

« Reply #42989 on: November 10, 2018, 02:44:27 PM »
This sounded bullshit at blizcon and it sounds even worse now. They want people to believe that they make these expensive cinematics without knowing who the playable chracters are? That one of the 6 generic ass triplits could be charaters? They just happened to pick Aish sure guys. Watch them make Sombra or someone half black using a comic as an easy out.
smh Blizzard going hard alt-right is one of the biggest surprises of GamerGate so far

benjipwns

« Reply #42990 on: November 10, 2018, 02:58:15 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/wtf-was-capcom-thinking-having-street-fighter-3-alpha-3-and-ex3-all-on-the-market-at-the-same-time.80140/
Capcom loves the number 3? Maybe they Could teach valve a few things about that number.
Being a GAMER during the Street Fighter II Era somehow makes this post and the others copying it stupidly funny.

It's also depressingly amusing in retrospect that II -> CE -> Turbo -> Super -> Super Turbo -> Alpha -> Alpha 2 -> III was only six years.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #42991 on: November 10, 2018, 03:21:29 PM »

:yuck

BrokenEchelon

« Reply #42992 on: November 10, 2018, 03:24:44 PM »
I wish they would talk about Junkrat's problematic blackface next.

benjipwns

« Reply #42993 on: November 10, 2018, 03:32:05 PM »
I did see someone complaining about his being an "Australian stereotype"

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #42994 on: November 10, 2018, 04:06:31 PM »
WTF, they extended my ban to the 17th... talk about the punishment not fitting the crime!  :lol
^_^

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #42995 on: November 10, 2018, 04:14:24 PM »
What did you do?

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #42996 on: November 10, 2018, 04:17:24 PM »
Get into a fight with a PROMINENT MEMBER.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #42997 on: November 10, 2018, 04:20:39 PM »
What did you do?

https://www.resetera.com/posts/14551110/

Went from 3d to 3w ban :rofl

Your next one's a perm, shitlord.

Jansen

« Reply #42998 on: November 10, 2018, 04:24:29 PM »
Your ban got extended because you talked about it here and reeeee mods are extremely petty.

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #42999 on: November 10, 2018, 04:24:32 PM »
Guess they decided to sleuth around here.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #43000 on: November 10, 2018, 04:24:57 PM »
Welcome to the alt-right champ.

Jansen

« Reply #43001 on: November 10, 2018, 04:27:10 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/posts/14820190/

User Banned (Duration Pending): Unrelenting history of inflammatory drive-by posts; repeated trolling despite numerous accumulated infractions

UNRELENTING

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #43002 on: November 10, 2018, 04:27:29 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/posts/14572093/

User banned: (3 Days) Racism, Barack Obama identifies as African America.

Lol only 3 days mods are just insanely inconsistent

Whilst looking for tiesto post I found this.

:lol

Obeeezy literally called himself a mutt.

e: bonus points that thread turned into piling on someone didn't vote.

If only that dude was a mod  :doge

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #43004 on: November 10, 2018, 04:31:07 PM »
hahaha that dare

PS: A perm for me and Racism getting 3 days proves my point.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #43006 on: November 10, 2018, 04:38:57 PM »
I don't think they could handle real world experiences, they can barely handle a shower.

Jansen

« Reply #43007 on: November 10, 2018, 04:39:11 PM »
User Banned (3 Days): Pattern of dismissing concerns surrounding sensitive topics
User Banned (5 Days): Dismissing other members' concerns about representation, History of similar behavior
User Banned (Duration Pending): Dismissive of concerns about diversity and inclusion, a history of infractions
User Banned (1 Week): Inflammatory false equivalencies surrounding race, dismissing concerns surrounding inclusivity, trolling
User Banned (5 Days): Junior phase account, dismissing concerns surrounding inclusivity efforts, inflammatory drive-by post
User Banned (Duration Pending): Dismissive of concerns about diversity and inclusion, a history of infractions
User Banned (Duration Pending): Dismissive of diversity efforts, a history of infractions
User Banned (Duration Pending): Downplaying concerns about diversity, dismissive language
User Banned (Duration Pending): Trolling in a sensitive thread, a history of similar infractions
User Banned (Duration Pending): Excusing dismissive behaviour in a sensitive discussion. Account still in junior phase.
User Banned (Duration Pending): Dismissing concerns about diversity, junior member
User Banned (Duration Pending): Dismissing concerns about diversity, junior member

Lol Jesus Christ @ that overwatch thread

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #43008 on: November 10, 2018, 04:42:47 PM »
There’s still no italian, greek or middle eastern. Man or woman. Never really thought about it until now though.

I’m sure this post will die unnoticed cause we don’t matter THAT much to the US rage system.
https://www.resetera.com/posts/14818118

Thank god they banned this monster

Jansen

« Reply #43009 on: November 10, 2018, 04:44:59 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/posts/14827819/

Quote from: DigitalOp
cwistofu
Benita
Chindogg
Hollywood Pescado
EkStatiC
@Aztec Complex
Francesco

Take a look at this list.

Yesterday, Not even a day passed, they were all in my thread shitposting, downplaying, and gas lighting about the topic at hand.

What is the common denominator between this thread and mine? It deals with concerns coming from a Black perspective. This is fucking ridiculous and its pretty much come to a head.

Clearly someone felt their comments were out of line to ban them but once again ERA can't commit to making a better site than what else is available on the web. These posters see the word 'Black' and come running to stir shit, and time and time again, moderation gives them a few days timeout. They come right back to board and continue the same shit.

Look at how many people you banned in this thread, You think their gonna change? You think they'll be more receptive next time? That ban taught em a good lesson?

Is this how you all want to run the site? Is the standard white male gamer perspective the default that needs to be protected?

We had an embarrassing thread with WomenERA being bombarded with male posters completely ignoring their views. That's okay here on ERA too?

Its pretty damn disappointing. How are black moderators suppose to feel about this like Nepenthe and Slayven? Im sure they are well aware of these clowns who constantly stir shit and have to see them come back time and time again and make this board even shittier for everyone.

Im speaking for myself, but I know I aint alone in this thought. Posters are tired of this crap. Take out the fucking trash for once. It smells. It reeks in here.

You want to send me a notification about ERA 2.0 and goddamn emojis but you can't even commit to making a board with friendlier discourse between diverse people.

Its embarrassing, it truly is. What is the gameplan? What is the plan of action? Ignore it? Thats how we got here. You ignored action and now the board is astroturfed with alts and people taking the piss out of the community. Its all a fucking joke for them.

No, Im not going to PM you. Im going to post publicly so people can see wtf is going on and what we can expect as a response.

Cerium and SweetNicole

Ball is in your court. Ready to play?

PS: A perm for me and Racism getting 3 days proves my point.

This like the 3rd or 4th he has blown up on site staff with no repercussions

« Reply #43010 on: November 10, 2018, 04:48:16 PM »
I think  their administration realizes they have some legitimately unhinged mentally ill members and don't know what to do about it.

Raist

« Reply #43011 on: November 10, 2018, 04:49:20 PM »
I think  their administration realizes they have some legitimately unhinged mentally ill members and don't know what to do about it.

They might want to start with their own staff first.

Jenkem

• MARANAX INFIRMUX
« Reply #43013 on: November 10, 2018, 04:54:18 PM »
idk why it starts partway through, just roll em back to 0:00

digitalop is too stupid to understand how youtube timestamps work and how to remove them?

more like analogop  :doge

Jenkem

• MARANAX INFIRMUX
« Reply #43014 on: November 10, 2018, 04:55:00 PM »
idk why it starts partway through, just roll em back to 0:00

digitalop is too stupid to understand how youtube timestamps work and how to remove them?

more like analogop  :doge

anal GOP?

:drudge
:tauntaun
[close]

tummyfat

« Reply #43015 on: November 10, 2018, 05:01:11 PM »
I can't wait for DigitalOP to get banned and the inmates to take over the asylum

Why does every black dude on a video game message board think they are Malcom X or some shit?

https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-black-culture-community-ot-4-melanin-and-estrogen-the-new-kryptonite.74863/page-52#post-14828630

He's confused because his account suicide didn't work. He doesn't realize he has special immunity - like when Voldemort killed Harry Potter but the Deathly Hallows kept him alive

who is ted danson?

• ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀✋💎✋🤬
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Raist

« Reply #43017 on: November 10, 2018, 05:13:09 PM »
“The Joy Cons and Switch are PERFECT for VR.”
https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-joy-con-would-be-amazing-vr-controllers.80086/
- No positional tracking
- Asymmetrical controllers non-conducive to VR games
- Jamming a thick 1080p monitor in your face
- Underpowered, underclocked system
- 2-3 hour battery
- Other logistical nightmares

Nintendies :neogaf

Xbots: "hold my beer"

https://www.resetera.com/posts/14832122/

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #43018 on: November 10, 2018, 05:13:52 PM »
Dude can't work out how timestamps works, but he want's to tackle and dismantle institutionalized racism by BEING LOUDER!

tummyfat

« Reply #43019 on: November 10, 2018, 05:15:58 PM »
Dude can't work out how timestamps works, but he want's to tackle and dismantle institutionalized racism by BEING LOUDER!

Just at movie theaters or everywhere?

That was a racist stereotype and I apologize
[close]