Author Topic: Long video discussion thread that isn't shit  (Read 32160 times)

etiolate

Re: Long video discussion thread that isn't shit
« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2018, 02:50:24 PM »
I have a request for a video.

There's a handful of youtubes on Frank Dux/Bloodsport false identity story, but I haven't found a really good one yet. If anyone has a suggestion, plz share.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2018, 05:09:46 PM »

Are you for real? What next, a documentary about flat earth? :lol

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #62 on: April 13, 2018, 01:22:09 AM »
I have a request for a video.

There's a handful of youtubes on Frank Dux/Bloodsport false identity story, but I haven't found a really good one yet. If anyone has a suggestion, plz share.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #63 on: April 13, 2018, 05:04:45 AM »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2018, 07:22:10 AM »

agrajag

« Reply #65 on: April 13, 2018, 09:10:19 AM »
the random talk thread sparked my curiousity about sovereign citizens, so I found this informative video

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #66 on: April 13, 2018, 09:19:18 AM »
gamecube!

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2018, 05:01:09 PM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #68 on: April 25, 2018, 02:03:04 PM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #69 on: April 25, 2018, 11:29:57 PM »

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #70 on: April 26, 2018, 03:10:01 AM »
where's the discussion bros :goldberg

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #71 on: April 26, 2018, 03:17:05 AM »
discussion can't be shit, if it ain't no discussion  :smug

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #72 on: April 26, 2018, 03:31:33 AM »
 :rollsafe

Stoney Mason

« Reply #73 on: April 30, 2018, 10:41:43 AM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2018, 04:55:26 AM »

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #75 on: May 03, 2018, 05:23:48 AM »
Hi

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #76 on: May 03, 2018, 08:05:44 AM »
we've already got a thread for identity wankery.

this is the one that's worth actually looking at.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #77 on: May 03, 2018, 04:35:23 PM »
Yeah, I hesitated posting it here and scrolled through previous things and figured with the sovereign citizen thing being here I could get away with it. :-[ And Contra's worth viewing. :punch
Hi

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #78 on: May 04, 2018, 11:30:45 AM »

First video in ages :lawd

Stoney Mason

« Reply #79 on: May 04, 2018, 11:38:08 AM »
we've already got a thread for identity wankery.

this is the one that's worth actually looking at.

I don't mind an actual interesting political content video that is worthwhile but yeah I'd rather leave the phrenology debate to that other "intellectual" thread.

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #80 on: May 04, 2018, 03:48:13 PM »

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #81 on: May 04, 2018, 04:24:54 PM »

« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 04:30:25 PM by Atramental »

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #82 on: May 04, 2018, 09:33:51 PM »

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #83 on: May 05, 2018, 04:31:22 PM »

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #84 on: May 05, 2018, 04:48:44 PM »
A friend of mine legit tried to talk me into some subsistence farming scheme in south america a few years ago 

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #85 on: May 05, 2018, 05:02:21 PM »
I would do it if I had no other options in life/got fed up enough with modern society.

:nsfw

Stoney Mason

« Reply #86 on: May 06, 2018, 12:37:50 AM »

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #87 on: May 09, 2018, 06:09:30 PM »
serge

Stoney Mason

« Reply #88 on: May 12, 2018, 07:23:51 AM »

paprikastaude

Stoney Mason

« Reply #90 on: May 12, 2018, 10:00:39 AM »
I miss edgy animu.

That's why we need more Robotech!

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #91 on: May 13, 2018, 12:02:55 PM »

this history guy has great vids

Leadbelly

« Reply #92 on: May 13, 2018, 11:10:08 PM »

haha.

The video intially took me by surprise, because it seemed like she was actually being fair and reasonable about her opponent. She then switches it to "it is all a trojan horse to a reactionary political agenda". oh you!

This is the co-writer of Jonathan Pie.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 11:36:43 PM by Leadbelly »

agrajag

« Reply #93 on: May 15, 2018, 01:22:29 AM »

Leadbelly

« Reply #94 on: May 15, 2018, 07:46:13 PM »

That's interesting. I would say they have a far bigger thing in common: that would be a growing concern that the Left is increasingly becoming authoritarian, anti-free speech, anti-elightenment, and anti-science. that is the more pressing concern these people have is it not?

The other thing is this guy (although I don't know enough about it) seems to look at it from a standpoint of classical Marxism, something I think at least some of these intellectuals would actually agree (although I don't know if he agress with it) is dead.

Certainly I think that is the case. Identity Politics, through its separating of identity groups and their grievances, encourages difference. Marxism was more about fostering solidarity through more universal causes. Common cause. The main focus of Modern Leftist politics seems to be more around minority issues. The main focus of Marxism is of course class.

That said, people on the far-left are not capitalists. You can't completely separate Marxist thought from Left-wing politics, it's just that the main focus has switched from proletariat vs bourgeoisie to oppressor and oppressed.

I don't particularly like the way Jordan Peterson defines the far-Left because it almost sounds like a conspiracy theory, whether he actually intends that or not. That said, I understand the need to define it a certain way. It isn't the Left in general that is problem in itself. You have to be more specfic. The Postmodern/neo-marxists seems to me to be an attempt by Peterson to more specifically define people he is critical of.

The point I am making is this guy seems to think they do not want to debate the side they attack, yet I actually think he misunderstands the people they are actually talking about. Also, trying to get some kind of debate with Peterson and not actually being able to speak with him because he has decided not to sign books, does not seem like adequate proof of him not wanting to debate. Again though, their opponents as they see them are more the intersectional identity politics types.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 07:57:31 PM by Leadbelly »

Nola

Re: Long video discussion thread that isn't shitTh
« Reply #95 on: May 15, 2018, 07:58:52 PM »
This thread was kinda specifically created not to let it get itself inundated with the same derails and eventual nonsense from the Peterson thread, so i'll be brief, but I would point out leadbelly, that I, along with many others, addressed the argument about the left's supposed rise toward authoritarianism as a defense for these people's seemingly exclusive focus on the left in that thread.

By a slew of pretty convincing objective measures, authoritarianism seems much more on the rise on the right than the left right now. Same goes for the level of depth and breadth toward controlling speech. Older people are more in favor of curbing it and on a broader variety of things than younger people, and Republicans/conservatives more so than Democrats/liberals.

Only real point being, it continues to be vey hard for me to take credibly or seriously the catastrophizing of these anti-marxist "thinkers" that seem to struggle with some very basic facts and context.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 08:04:21 PM by Nola »

Leadbelly

Re: Long video discussion thread that isn't shitTh
« Reply #96 on: May 15, 2018, 08:16:04 PM »
This thread was kinda specifically created not to let it get itself inundated with the same derails and eventual nonsense from the Peterson thread, so i'll be brief, but I would point out leadbelly, that I, along with many others, addressed the argument about the left's supposed rise toward authoritarianism as a defense for these people's seemingly exclusive focus on the left in that thread.

By a slew of pretty convincing objective measures, authoritarianism seems much more on the rise on the right than the left right now. Same goes for the level of depth and breadth toward controlling speech. Older people are more in favor of curbing it and on a broader variety of things than younger people, and Republicans/conservatives more so than Democrats/liberals.

Well, supposedly this is a video 'discussion' thread. Which is why I am discussing a video...

Could you give me some examples. It is something I tend to do.

It terms of the Left, the authoritarianism is quite clearly evidenced in safe spaces, the constant attempts to shut down talks and lectures, cultural appropriation, increasing calls for censorship whether it be advertisments they don't like, or movies they don't like, etc. Calling anyone who has views they disagree with Nazis, facists, racists, etc. Doing away with due process with Title IX. Compelling people to use correct pronouns. The list goes on.

That's not to say the Right are necessarily better, however, in terms of Universities, the media, and corporations, it's the Left-wing version of political correctness and authoritarianism that is the problem

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #97 on: May 15, 2018, 08:22:12 PM »
cmon take it to the wank dad thread. let's keep the floor clean in here

Leadbelly

« Reply #98 on: May 15, 2018, 08:23:56 PM »
Wait.. it's a discussion thread, no? That's what it says in the title.

agrajag

« Reply #99 on: May 15, 2018, 08:31:00 PM »
cmon take it to the wank dad thread. let's keep the floor clean in here

That thread is garbage. I'm not an intellectual, neither is etoilet or anybody else. I refuse to participate in that marturbatory self aggrandizing trash thread.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #101 on: May 15, 2018, 08:35:20 PM »
That's why i'm lobbying to keep the masturbatory trash in the masturbatory trash thread lol

agrajag

« Reply #102 on: May 15, 2018, 08:38:24 PM »
That's why i'm lobbying to keep the masturbatory trash in the masturbatory trash thread lol

The video I posted is long and it doesn't suck. It fits the criteria or this thread.

:idont

But I guess it fits the tone of that thread more.

Nola

« Reply #103 on: May 15, 2018, 08:46:26 PM »

The video I posted is long and it doesn't suck. It fits the criteria or this thread.

To be clear on my end I was only talking about the argument I was letting myself walk down the path on addressing, which I figured would quickly become more suited for the other thread....Because I was pretty much walking it there.

No problem with the video.  :D
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 08:59:13 PM by Nola »

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #104 on: May 15, 2018, 09:05:00 PM »

The latter part is my main gripe. The video is fine, and I'm in their corner on the subject for that matter, but i think it would be swell to keep this thread as a bunch of videos on a collection of various topics and contain the peterson back and forth in the thread we already have for that stuff

agrajag

« Reply #105 on: May 15, 2018, 09:08:29 PM »
sure, no problem

Leadbelly

« Reply #106 on: May 15, 2018, 09:44:09 PM »
Leadbelly:

Two links and I'll leave it there for good:
http://www.thebore.com/forum/index.php?topic=45437.msg2419019#msg2419019
http://www.thebore.com/forum/index.php?topic=45437.msg2420397#msg2420397

Okay. I've not said the Right is necessarily any better than the Left in this regard. In fact this is why being on the side of free speech is extremely important. Who is on top can change. Those same speech restriction policies you were in agreement with could one day suddenly be used against you.

You say you don't understand why they are focusing on the Left so much because you see similar attitudes, but for different reasons on the Right. What I think you are missing is institutional power. So for example, universities are overwhelmingly liberal which is why the attacks on free speech are more likely to be from the Left. We're not simply talking about attitudes from the students, but the policies they are beginning to influence. Safe space policies, trigger warnings, dress codes at halloween, etc, they're not coming from the Right, it is coming from the Left. They are also creeping into other areas. As you know, Google for instance has a diversity department that has a particular ideological perspective. The very reason Peterson suddenly came into the spotlight was because of legislation to do with gender neutral pronouns.

Basically the one place that the left seems to take a harder line on free speech restrictions are when it comes to issues of prejudice. Which has always made me suspicious about why so many like Peterson only seem to give a shit about that particular inflection point of anti-prejudice and not the still much larger issue of people advocating restrictions on speech because of their prejudice??

I'm from the UK. We have hate speech laws in the UK. You may be aware of the Count Dankula incident, in which he was prosecuted for hate speech for making a Nazi joke. Very few people on the Left defended him. The majority of the protest actually came from the Right. The Left has pretty much completely abandoned free speech.

Why be against hate speech? The problem with hate speech is that it is vague and subjective. What exactly is 'hate' if you get my point. If you go back 60 years for instance, the LGBT community would have been considered grossly immoral and a degradation of society. Homosexuality of course was illegal in the UK until 1967. It took a bit more time to get wider acceptance. One thing LGBT campaigners knew back in those days was that free speech is extremely important. When you are faced with a society and a State that is hostile to you, all you have is free speech. Some people today seem not understand that hate speech laws even 60 years ago would have been used against them. Against their speech. In fact in terms of LGBT campaigners, don't take my word for it.

The other thing is, once you normalise the idea that the State has the right to criminalise certain speech, you create a culture and climate where people grow up thinking no one has the right to offend them. That the state should step in. Then you get all kinds of special interest groups that say things like, "Wait a minute, if this speech is classed as hate speech, why not this other type of speech?". That's inevitable. So in the UK for instance there have been campaigns to make 'misogyny' a form of hate speech. You can really see the issue there. Misogyny no longer simply means 'hatred of women' it is used far more broadly than that by feminists and people on the Left. Pretty much anything criticisng 'feminism' could be construed as misogyny. And the way hate speech works, it is not intent that decides whether something is classed as hate speech or not, it is the person who took offence.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/amber-rudd-misogyny-hate-crime-change-law-prejudice-women-home-secretary-greens-mps-charities-a8196786.html

The left is silent. What they don't seem to grasp is, governments change. One day maybe a far-right government is voted in and they have the same legislative powers against 'hate speech' as any other government. It is a bad idea to allow the state to control speech. It is a bad idea historically, and it is a bad idea logically.

Peterson was against it because it was compelled speech by the State. I hope I have given you a god explanation of why you should be fully in support of Peterson on that. A lot of people on the Left it seems aren't. Certainly this is the case in the UK.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 10:04:19 PM by Leadbelly »

Nola

« Reply #107 on: May 15, 2018, 10:27:34 PM »
I'll hit this response up in the other thread later(though it seems much of it is sort of talking past most of the points I made so I am not sure how much I'm looking forward to that). Not gonna do this to Stoney.

agrajag

« Reply #108 on: May 15, 2018, 10:28:18 PM »
This is all my fault

:tocry

Leadbelly

« Reply #109 on: May 15, 2018, 10:59:34 PM »
I'll hit this response up in the other thread later(though it seems much of it is sort of talking past most of the points I made so I am not sure how much I'm looking forward to that). Not gonna do this to Stoney.

Okay. I probably won't respond until tomorrow now.

Also I'm not sure I am talking past you, but rather coming at it from different perspective. I think this will become more clear when things are clarified.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 11:04:52 PM by Leadbelly »

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #110 on: May 15, 2018, 11:08:58 PM »
Look at which videos you nerds want to discuss :goldberg

Stoney Mason

« Reply #111 on: May 16, 2018, 06:32:16 AM »

I always am saddened by the fact that the pre-IBM pc compatible computers of the world that use to dominate, are generally given such short shrift in the history books.

Oh C64. I was so jealous of you being an Atari guy.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #112 on: May 19, 2018, 04:55:48 PM »

Stoney Mason

« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 06:51:11 AM by Stoney Mason »

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #114 on: May 28, 2018, 10:43:18 PM »

« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 01:06:14 AM by Atramental »

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #115 on: May 29, 2018, 07:12:04 AM »

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #116 on: May 29, 2018, 09:50:26 AM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #117 on: May 31, 2018, 02:13:12 AM »

Leadbelly

« Reply #118 on: May 31, 2018, 01:43:37 PM »

Ah, his voice is so soothing to listen to. It is like the voice of an angel. I could masturbate to that voice.

agrajag

« Reply #119 on: June 02, 2018, 11:24:21 PM »