Author Topic: BATTLEFIELD V  (Read 29691 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: BATTLEFIELD V
« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2018, 11:46:17 PM »
dod_charlie is where I learned that the most important men on D-Day were the ones who could hold their breath and snipe the MGs from underwater so everyone else could advance

benjipwns

« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2018, 11:47:24 PM »
there was a modded version of Anzio that put a window (in the building that's intended for the Allies to countersnipe from) overlooking the landing beach that the Axis could stick a MG in :lol

benjipwns

« Reply #62 on: May 30, 2018, 12:10:19 AM »
i really came to love DoD:S but hate that Valve moved on from it so quickly, so many of the truly best maps were never moved over, especially the stuff that had real scope and scale versus grinder pits like Avalanche or Flash

and calling Source's jagd that was criminal, the scale on the original was pretty impressive especially for the time though it did suck when nobody wanted the tanks blown up so they could just deathmatch

even Charlie is fun once the Allies breach the sea walls, running around in all the back areas trying to stop stuff from being blown up is more fun than defending the beach

Escape was inventive because rather than just attack/defense you had the Allies have to fight through the city to blow up two Nebelwerfers, while the Axis could either just defend those, or themselves attack to blow up the bridge entering into the city

Glider had the whole set of stuff for the Allies to progressively blow up

Zalec was rare to see because of alphabetical map lists, after each Allied objective, it opens up the map larger and larger, and you'd always see Axis running around back at the first objective because they didn't realize there was a whole two-thirds of the map with new objectives to defend, and like half the map is a bunch of maze like building interiors

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #63 on: May 30, 2018, 12:11:35 AM »
https://store.steampowered.com/app/418460/Rising_Storm_2_Vietnam/

HueHueHue City is the only good map in that game.

*dodges Toku's hate*

The fact that the women thing is what people want to whine about when you can complain about many many many actual issues that have hampered the franchise in recent iterations speaks volumes to me.

It's what /pol/lacks are attached to. Others are attached to the "alternate history"/war-paint, amputee sniper (not the gender of the sniper), and other things. Which is valid, IMO with how DICE was saying it was going for "realism"/"authenticity."

Some of that stuff may have been during the war, but like WW1's iteration in the series: They were never actually used MASSIVELY during the war. Which people that want bolt-actions and the like have valid gripes to bitch about.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #64 on: May 30, 2018, 12:40:35 AM »
i don't even own it username lol, tripwire has burned me too many times

benjipwns

« Reply #65 on: May 30, 2018, 12:52:33 AM »

The Northern forces offer a broader mix, with the People’s Army of Vietnam (PAVN - or NVA) as the regular, disciplined and better-equipped main fighting force, in comparison to the National Liberation Front (NLF) guerrilla fighters, equipped with whatever weaponry was passed down the chain to them from Russia and China - known as the Viet Cong. For supporting weapons each has:
PAVN/NVA - heavy artillery, surface-to-air missile defenses and rapid reinforcement from the Ho Chi Minh trail
NLF/VC - a mix of ordnances (mortars, rockets, white phosphorous) used in a heavy barrage

To compete with the Southern forces’ mobility, the Northern forces have their own mobility - and stealth:
NVA and VC squad leaders can place spawn tunnels widely across the maps, allowing themselves and their squads to spawn much closer to the action - or even behind the lines
Given their “home field advantage”, any NVA or VC crouching or prone in cover can’t be spotted by Southern helicopters or aircraft
SA-2 Missiles - the quick way to counter Southern air assets is by calling on surface-to-air missiles, if the commander can time it right
“Ho Chi Minh Trail” ability - the NVA/VC commander can activate this ability to accelerate his team’s spawning rate, when times get desperate
“Ambush Spawn” ability - the NVA/VC commander can also cause anyone on his team who is waiting, to spawn on his location for potentially devastating ambushes.

The weaponry for the Northern forces is wide-ranging - the PAVN well-equipped with modern weapons delivered from Russia and China, while the VC have to work with a wide variety of weapons:
AK-47 and Type 56 Assault rifles
Russian SKS-45 and US M1 Carbines and Mosin Nagant 91/30 rifle
MN 91/30 and SVD sniper rifles
PPSh-41 and French MAT-49 SMGs
IZh-58 double-barrelled shotgun
DP-28 and RPD LMGs
RPG-7 rocket launcher
MD-82 toe-popper mines, Tripwires and Punji traps
this reminds me that in Battlefield: Vietnam, the whole point of hiding in the grass was defeated because it'd show the other players username when you moused over them

benjipwns

« Reply #66 on: May 30, 2018, 12:57:59 AM »
also i choose to believe the claim that BF:Vietnam will never be available digitally because EA doesn't want to re-license the music nor take the effort to strip it out

thisismyusername

« Reply #67 on: May 30, 2018, 01:00:02 AM »
i don't even own it username lol, tripwire has burned me too many times

I know that feeling. Luckily I got it for relatively cheap. But it's basically Rising Storm 1/RO2 just with full-automatics. So depending on how you feel about that, will color your mood for this.

Honestly, all the maps are kinda awful. Hue City is only fun because it's choke-points/clusterfucks which means camping is better for your KDR than trying to attack because both side's spooky/napalm/AC-130/etc. mortar attacks will basically put you in PTSD when you're like 50 miles away from said fire-barrage. :doge

@Benji: It's hilarious that gif shows laying traps when you can't put the tripwires in dirt in certain sections of Hue City for uh... reasons... (read: we never fixed the coding for those sections with dirt to function like others since they're around concrete/on concrete block meshes)

That's ignoring that the Claymore is utterly worthless because it's clacker for "realism" so placing the "trap" and then having to camp it makes it practically worthless in terms of actual FPS gameplay.

benjipwns

« Reply #68 on: May 30, 2018, 01:11:27 AM »
booo i was going to install it just to setup traps for an hour or so til i got bored

it's apparently $5 on this site: https://store.silagames.com/game/4914/rising-storm-2-vietnam-digital-deluxe-edition/

spoiler (click to show/hide)
i dunno where i got it from #thatbundlelife
[close]

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #69 on: May 30, 2018, 01:39:17 AM »
its gud guys :(

play with me, im a good squad lead

also thisusername rated bc2 a 10 so what does he know

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #70 on: May 30, 2018, 02:52:41 AM »
Titanfall 2 is pretty swell. The campaign is a mod made by someone who really liked Mirror's Edge but thought it should have the fights with the marines in Half-Life 1 instead and the multiplayer is different enough to sate my need for novelty but not so different that I couldn't get my feet planted in my first match eventually.

It's not actually like Tribes but Tribes is the closest analog I can think of in how much different the movement is from your usual dudebro FPS. Thanks for telling me to think of it as a flight sim, toku, that was very galaxy brain.

As an added bonus, picking off wounded titans with bazookas also sates my Battlefield Vietnam itch a little.

benjipwns

« Reply #71 on: May 30, 2018, 06:39:04 AM »
i like being a pilot jerk to titans, especially if they're engaged in something else so they'd rather not try to track me down or they're reluctant to chase me...you can quite pile up the damage on them while they're trying to engage with another titan but you're the one actually damaging them more

the anti-titan thunderbolt does area of effect damage to everything that the bolt passes, you can just dump it in the general direction and move...it passing alongside a titan actually does more damage than hitting directly with it

firing the thunderbolt into a group of titans can causes some real general havoc, while boosting your own titan meter superfast

that's basically why i switched from my original preferred mag launcher over to it, the mag launcher can take them down pretty fast, especially picking off wounded ones, and they arc, so it's ideal firing them over cover at stuff, and they're drawn towards titans being magnetic and all (also it's a bit more handy than the other anti-titan weapons at fighting jerk pilots getting in your space without having to switch...you can also drop em fairly well onto groups of grunt/spectres)

the shotguns were also surprising (to me) decent weapons because of the movement system, you can close distance so quickly to one shot with them and the range on two of them is surprisingly far, i find in many other FPSes the range and movement combat occurs at, along usually with their firing design, renders shotguns to non-ideal primaries a lot of the time...one shotting some doofus thinking he's clever out of the air is probably too enjoyable

the two pistols you can equip as a primary are interesting weapons, one's basically like a railgun and the other is more like a shotgun that fires three shells at once...

this post is starting to sound more like i'm describing borderlands type weapons than the common set of a MP FPS

Borealis

« Reply #72 on: May 31, 2018, 08:42:14 AM »
From BFV's Insta + Twitter: at launch, there'll be just two factions represented: British and German  ???

I understand more will be added in the free post-launch content scheme of things, but WTF DICE. 

Somehow, the scope of the Second World War starts off smaller than the First.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #73 on: May 31, 2018, 08:46:36 AM »
UK was in WW2?

Big if true

Nabbis

• oops
« Reply #74 on: May 31, 2018, 08:54:56 AM »
Oh great, never seen that one before.  ::)

Bet it will have that rarely seen snippet of operation overlord.

Eh whatever. I just hope it's not arcade like the previous three Battlefronfields.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #75 on: May 31, 2018, 01:58:05 PM »
©ZH

benjipwns

« Reply #76 on: May 31, 2018, 02:43:17 PM »

benjipwns

« Reply #77 on: May 31, 2018, 08:55:57 PM »
coincidentally, Rising Storm Vietnam is having a free weekend on Steam

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #78 on: May 31, 2018, 09:04:29 PM »
42 GB wtf.

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #79 on: May 31, 2018, 09:46:12 PM »
unreal engine 3 file sizes :yuck

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #80 on: May 31, 2018, 10:02:58 PM »
aren't we into the "move onto the next version of UE and go back to the eastern front" part of the tripwire cycle yet?

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #81 on: May 31, 2018, 10:49:46 PM »
tripwire hired some company to port red orchestra 2 to vietnam so who the fuck knows

benjipwns

« Reply #82 on: June 01, 2018, 12:18:20 AM »
it's the guys from the mod community who had made the Rising Storm mod that Tripwire made an official part of Red Orchestra 2, they formed a company and did this, it was also promoted from mod to "full game"

main tripwire hq is/was doing Killing Floor VR stuff for consoles still i think, the PC version of that was in UE4 so they have been working with it

i wonder if they might avoid WWII for a bit with Activision and especially EA back playing in the pool

i think they're still really small too, hence why the lots of the working with the mod community

benjipwns

« Reply #83 on: June 01, 2018, 12:20:36 AM »
maybe they'll make STALINGRAD: BATTLE ROYALE

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #84 on: June 02, 2018, 02:34:41 PM »
Do u know how they call battle royale in russia?

Nabbis

• oops
« Reply #85 on: June 02, 2018, 05:14:23 PM »

Going to the store?

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #86 on: June 03, 2018, 12:24:46 PM »

a battle quarter pounder?

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #87 on: June 12, 2018, 10:35:41 PM »

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #88 on: June 13, 2018, 06:25:12 AM »
I got rising storm 2 vietnam thing in a humble bundle

i died instantly

but seems pretty fun
What

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #89 on: June 13, 2018, 03:41:07 PM »

a battle quarter pounder?

Dang towarzyszu

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #90 on: June 13, 2018, 11:13:52 PM »

thisismyusername

« Reply #91 on: June 13, 2018, 11:49:21 PM »
also thisusername rated bc2 a 10 so what does he know

:umad

Search you feelings, you know it's the best shooter of the past 10 years.

I like Rising Storm/RO, but I don't need that in Battlefield TBH.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #92 on: June 13, 2018, 11:50:37 PM »
Lol no. Not even close. It’s a bad dumbing down of Battlefield.

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #93 on: August 15, 2018, 09:44:59 AM »
be chief design officer of game
tell people not to buy game if they don't like your decisions
they don't buy game
get fired

https://twitter.com/saraheneedleman/status/1029371719868407808

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #94 on: August 16, 2018, 09:23:31 AM »

Ah yiss this looks awesome

🤴

benjipwns

« Reply #95 on: August 16, 2018, 09:28:58 AM »
that fucking cover :dead

benjipwns

« Reply #96 on: August 16, 2018, 09:31:28 AM »
people speculating the part at the end with the flames is battle royale related, because of course

benjipwns

« Reply #97 on: August 16, 2018, 09:31:39 AM »
hendry The bear
13 minutes ago

Me:MOM SAVE MONEY!!
Mom: for what honey?
Me:BATTLEFIELD V!!
Mom:OK

BisMarckie

« Reply #98 on: August 16, 2018, 09:34:32 AM »
Wait, the war against the Netherlands is part of the campaign?

So i guess it's gonna be pretty short.  :doge

benjipwns

« Reply #99 on: August 16, 2018, 09:38:10 AM »
i like the dude going "not good!" as a plane (rocket?) packed with explosives slams into a building and blows up the entire block

BisMarckie

« Reply #100 on: August 16, 2018, 09:44:45 AM »
I am still gonna buy it, even though I barely played BF 1 :trumps

I assume everyone here will get it on PC?

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #101 on: August 16, 2018, 09:50:24 AM »

It actually took them longer to take the Netherlands than they anticipated and they feared it would mess up the rest of their campaign.
We held out for 4 days until the Germans threatened they would bomb Rotterdam and the city was surrendered.

However, the order to not bomb the city didn't reach the pilots so they bombed Rotterdam anyway.
At which point the Germans said: "Oops, that's what you get for not surrendering" and the rest of the country followed shortly.

There was not much we could do without an air force. The Allies had not even entered our country yet. They were just in the process of crossing into the province called Zeeland from Belgium all the way in the south.
The Queen pleaded with the British to send more aid but they wouldn't because they knew the situation in France would soon become unsustainable. The allies had lost most of their bomber fleet trying to destroy the makeshift bridges that allowed the Germans to roll their tanks into France through the Arddenne forest.

Even though we lost militarily the Germans failed to reach all their objectives.
1. They didn't capture the royal family because their paratroopers were held back
2. They didn't capture the government
3. They couldn't stop vital intel from being destroyed (the Dutch were neutral prior to the war and the royals (leaning towards Nazism) even tried to bargain a peace between Britain and Germany before the war in France broke out)
4. They were unable to destroy or capture the Navy
🤴

BisMarckie

« Reply #102 on: August 16, 2018, 09:54:45 AM »
We have developed far more efficient methods of occupation in the meantime though, Have you ever been to Venlo or Roermond on a weekend? :smug

The Dutch retaliated though by conquering the German Alps every winter :goty2

Kara

« Reply #103 on: August 16, 2018, 12:37:26 PM »

"The battle [of the Netherlands] lasted from 10 May 1940 until the surrender of the main Dutch forces on 14 May." :lol

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #104 on: August 16, 2018, 12:42:19 PM »
We have developed far more efficient methods of occupation in the meantime though, Have you ever been to Venlo or Roermond on a weekend? :smug

I live on the Dutch coast and it's flooded with Germans during the summer every year.
They head for the beach, buy up all the bottled water and bread in the supermarkets and dig holes.
🤴

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #105 on: August 20, 2018, 11:59:41 PM »

kingv

« Reply #106 on: August 21, 2018, 08:33:34 AM »

I live on the Dutch coast and it's flooded with Germans during the summer every year.
They head for the beach, buy up all the bottled water and bread in the supermarkets and dig holes.

That all sounds German as fuck.

Based on my research, I’m assuming those holes are primitive glory holes.

benjipwns

« Reply #107 on: September 05, 2018, 05:20:14 AM »

some of this :gladbron

even the "battle royale" change sounds smarter than just doing a regular one

benjipwns

« Reply #108 on: September 05, 2018, 05:23:54 AM »
WHERE PRELOAD FOR BETA, EA, SUPPOSED TO BE AVAILABLE, I CAN'T EVEN, GAME SUCKS, PREORDER CANCELLED

benjipwns

« Reply #109 on: September 05, 2018, 05:24:27 AM »
OMG DRIVING TANK THROUGH BUILDING, ALLOWING COVER TO BE REBUILT, NEVERMIND, I FORGIVE YOU DICE

benjipwns

« Reply #110 on: September 05, 2018, 05:30:49 AM »
lmao at the comments all complaining about the campaign focusing on "untold stories" and at least involving a lady instead of being yet another trip through the same battlefields that every other WWII game already did
josh orr
3 hours ago
uhhhh don't like political agenda getting shoved down my throat, dislike
vide0gameCaster
3 hours ago
I'm uneducated and my wallet is happy about it!
thorsten94vfl
2 hours ago
Battlefield 3: 70 guns
Battlefield V: 70 genders
Ewan Piotrowski
2 hours ago
The fact that they are trying to make ww2 “politically correct” is so stupid, this war was so gruesome and terrible, mankind literally was at its breaking point and the fact that they are trying to make a political statement from it is simply disrespectful.
Jared Cosby
3 hours ago
What happened to the Transgender amputee mode?
Tristram
2 hours ago
Oh that's terribly generous that they're giving us all this content for free this time around. Definitely doesn't have anything to do with the fact they want to push this 1984 esc political narrative down as many peoples throats at possible... Definitely pure generosity here.

in the second Medal of Honor game you played as French Resistance lady from the first game!!!! let the campaign do that kinda stuff and mebbe we gonna get a White Death set of missions one of these days! :maf

ALSO DRIVING TANKS THROUGH BUILDINGS

benjipwns

« Reply #111 on: September 05, 2018, 05:34:12 AM »
if Beta not showin up in your library, just go to the store page for BFV and there's a button for it, 12.44GB

spoiler (click to show/hide)
WHICH IF YOU ADD 2.44 GB is 14.88GB

:drudge DOG WHISTLE :drudge
[close]

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #112 on: September 05, 2018, 11:31:08 AM »
I'm tokuvelli on origin. I'm sure I'll never play with you because I don't like ppl but hey.

:doge

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #113 on: September 05, 2018, 02:28:10 PM »
Played this a bit and I am reminded of all the reasons I don't bother with Battlefield anymore. Feels like it's in identity crisis both chasing the CoD dream, while still attempting to be old battlefield. The result is horrible and it's buggy as fuck. Sure beta and all, but I remember BF4 launch, where it seemed like they hadnt improved anything stability wise. Had two crashes telling me my 1080ti doesnt have enough memory..... time for rtx i guess.

benjipwns

« Reply #114 on: September 05, 2018, 11:58:25 PM »
NEVERMIND, SCREW DICE, THE REAL BATTLEFIELD IS HERE: https://store.steampowered.com/app/916560/Battlefield_Supremacy/

:rejoice

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #115 on: September 06, 2018, 09:30:36 AM »
lmao at the comments all complaining about the campaign focusing on "untold stories" and at least involving a lady instead of being yet another trip through the same battlefields that every other WWII game already did
josh orr
3 hours ago
uhhhh don't like political agenda getting shoved down my throat, dislike
vide0gameCaster
3 hours ago
I'm uneducated and my wallet is happy about it!
thorsten94vfl
2 hours ago
Battlefield 3: 70 guns
Battlefield V: 70 genders
Ewan Piotrowski
2 hours ago
The fact that they are trying to make ww2 “politically correct” is so stupid, this war was so gruesome and terrible, mankind literally was at its breaking point and the fact that they are trying to make a political statement from it is simply disrespectful.
Jared Cosby
3 hours ago
What happened to the Transgender amputee mode?
Tristram
2 hours ago
Oh that's terribly generous that they're giving us all this content for free this time around. Definitely doesn't have anything to do with the fact they want to push this 1984 esc political narrative down as many peoples throats at possible... Definitely pure generosity here.

in the second Medal of Honor game you played as French Resistance lady from the first game!!!! let the campaign do that kinda stuff and mebbe we gonna get a White Death set of missions one of these days! :maf

ALSO DRIVING TANKS THROUGH BUILDINGS

Lol look at this snowfall.
©ZH

Borealis

« Reply #116 on: September 06, 2018, 10:30:01 AM »
Most of my experiences where legit (and welcome) improvements to the mechanics try to shine are just fucked by shitty bugs throughout matches.  :(

Team managed to blow A and B on Narvik, overrun points C and D -> bombs glitch out and can't even be picked up by players, it's fucked over for us
Trying to revive teammate -> body ragdolls all over the joint and gives my camera an injection of epilepsy   
Squad trying to progress on Grand Operations -> constant disconnects from server, no progression on assignments or unlocks even saved   
Attempting to switch squads -> constant UI lag and no response, Origin pop-up from an invite sticking on the side for the rest of the damn match

DICE: "Hey, heard you liked useless entry animations for vehicles, how about exit ones too!"

::)

It's two months away from retail and the menu navigation feels like :yuck. Mind boggling to see regression in UI basics from BF1 (already bad enough), there's no convenience in figuring out where shit is. Was it really that bloody hard to put Options on the main menu without chucking it behind 'More' DICE???

Honestly don't enjoy playing as Medic in V, and somehow waiting for one is longer than skipping a revive and returning to deploy.

Those upgrade paths suck, I've found that you must purchase duplicate weapons of the same model just to re-level a different path for the second one.

Goodbye and good riddance to dorito spotting, but hello to even more 'cinematic' animations no one wanted. >:(

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #117 on: September 06, 2018, 11:28:50 AM »

« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 11:33:43 AM by toku »

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #118 on: September 06, 2018, 12:29:48 PM »
Played it for a bit this morning before work.

Obviously early impressions but the game is interesting because its mainly a change of pace from the recent direction of battlefield. I'm someone who didn't mind the direction that battlefield had moved but I realize other may feel differently.

The game is slower, more methodical, more campy, more defensive. Those aren't pejoratives. They are just observations. I think a certain type of gamer will appreciate that style of play and another type of gamer will find it somewhat frustrating especially since nearly every recent iteration of the franchise hasn't really played that way.

The game ruthlessly encourages squad play and if you legit have a squad of friends to play with these mechanics will prove really rewarding. But if you are mainly a solo player left to the random whims of public matches, you may find yourself getting frustrated.

I won't lie. I miss spotting. To me it had become an essential part of battlefield. And in a game where the ttk is pretty quick and you have no idea where anybody is, you will get what feels like a lot of random deaths just trying to move across the map. Which means you have to slow down a lot more. Like I said, that isn't a good or bad thing. It's just a what type of gamer are you kind of thing. I'm sure others will really appreciate that aspect of the game.

I'll probably do a longer post towards the end of the beta with all my thoughts.

Nabbis

• oops
« Reply #119 on: September 06, 2018, 01:13:27 PM »
I don't like how vehicles are still shit. If they made it back to how BF4 was then that would have been good. Overall i think it's better than 1.