Author Topic: BATTLEFIELD V  (Read 29610 times)

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
BATTLEFIELD V
« on: May 23, 2018, 05:13:55 PM »
sup

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Re: BATTLEFIELD V
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 05:30:18 PM »
Aww yiss  :rejoice

But yeah, it looks more like: WW2: Remix than actual WW2.
I'll take it though, HD tiger tanks  :mynicca
🤴

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 06:55:50 PM »
people complaining about immersion and authenticity and i'm over here fiending for some rocket launcher loop de loops and jihad jeeps.

i need some multiplayer footage asap though because that trailer wasn't good.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 07:21:00 PM »
people complaining about immersion and authenticity and i'm over here fiending for some rocket launcher loop de loops and jihad jeeps.

i need some multiplayer footage asap though because that trailer wasn't good.
Yeah the trailer was weak. It could be mistaken for a early gen console reveal trailer to demonstrate how much shit can be on screen at the same time.
Ah well, we all know multiplayer is where Battlefield shines and everything else is just a sideshow.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 07:33:17 PM by Nintex »
🤴

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 03:10:12 AM »
I really wanted them to call this Battlefield 2 and pretend like the other one never existed.

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 03:47:35 AM »

i didn't expect any of this from dice, especially after how they botched battlefield 1. this could easily be my goty and again every following year after

Coax

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 07:04:36 AM »
Vid

i didn't expect any of this from dice, especially after how they botched battlefield 1. this could easily be my goty and again every following year after

Liking the sound of various changes and additions. Will be interested to gameplay vids on release. Haven't played BF since 3.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2018, 11:07:53 AM »
so no auto health regen is supposed to be some kind of new incredible feature huh

Health Regen is still in, just in stages like The Dvision's during combat. :doge

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2018, 11:58:49 AM »
Battlefield 1 with a roster update.
©ZH

Nabbis

• oops
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2018, 12:17:39 PM »
Christ, i really need a new hobby. High budget gaming just is not moving into a good direction.

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2018, 12:40:09 PM »
Zzzzzzzz

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2018, 12:50:37 PM »
Battlefield 1 looked amazing, but I couldn't get into it.  Was not a fan of the way it played- will stick with Call O' Doody.
ど助平

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2018, 02:10:04 PM »
They should've just retooled Battlefield Heroes and cram a battle royal mode in there.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2018, 03:27:13 PM »
Some features they should've added for a realistic Battlefield experience:

- Civilians
Just imagine strafing streets and refugee columns with your Stuka or bombing schools and hospitals like a true Luftwaffe ace.

- Meth
Play for 14 days without sleep and drive the allies from Belgium into the sea without pause while being high on Meth.

- Amputation
Amputate the limbs of your fellow soldiers so they may yet live another day.

- Artillery crew
Just stay stationary for months and load up those shells to fire at your enemies.

- Famine
Experience real hunger by not eating for days.

- Fire brigade
Try to put out fires with no water while being bombed by the Luftwaffe around the clock.

- Canibalism
If all is lost in Stalingrad you must eat your friends to survive. Who will you eat first?

- Hiding gold
Hide the gold in Switzerland, all of it. Negotiate with Swiss bankers for the best rates.

- Fire bombing
Set your house on fire and keep playing to experience what it was like in Dresden.
🤴

benjipwns

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2018, 05:31:44 PM »
Especially after playing Red Orchestra back in the day on its many maps of the city I really have wanted a Stalingrad set game where it's just progressive and you can drop in and out to the "same battle" until it concludes and starts over. With all the house to house fighting, the progressive leveling of the entire city, etc.

Verdun, which I played an hour of with some random dudes due to the Steam thing, actually does a form of this in the one mode at least (was the only one with players...four) where you defend/attack each progressive trench line across No Man's Land, including artillery waves, whistles, machine guns, etc. I haven't really looked into the game too much, but like the main menu is setup as a map of the current state of the front and you pick from various locations (the maps) along it. It bends and changes too so it's not the same set in the same order.

Wolf:ET had the "front" system like this that decided the map rotation based on victories/objectives. But especially Battlefield has at this point shown they can do maps with the size and density and player count within Frostbite. And Operations/Frontlines in 1 starts to toy with this but it still felt like an extended corridor. The first Battlefront did this with some of its maps already too.

So like, if I was in charge and the only person at EA not working on Star Wars, I'd reboot Medal of Honor with a Medal of Honor II set around that type of Battle setpiece. D-Day especially could be a homage to both AA (and its expansion) and Airborne by having you either drop behind or spawn at the beach, then up onto it and back through the hedgerows into France. That would be the largest challenge, to incorporate that as a single front and battle. But most of the others, like Stalingrad, you could probably do comparatively easily by restricting the spawning to controlled points along the front. Bastogne or the Bulge in general would be fairly easy to "control" the points to create it at some point over the course of the battle.

I've noted before that some game, and a DoD map, did this over a decade ago, by swapping out the maps as the parts were captured. Rush as a mode basically already does this from a functional stand point, it turns off the spawn points, and silently swaps in and out the chunks of the maps. Frontlines/Operations and the upcoming Grand Operations in a way take these ideas into account but they still don't really have "consequences" related to the course of the battle beyond where the next points will be. (Or at least that I'm aware of.) A Stalingrad setting used like I'm thinking of would mean that if Pavlov's House doesn't survive the siege (or is destroyed in the course of the battle before any kind of use of it for defense even could occur), it's simply not there to be used later if need be. (Or used by the Germans even!)

D-Day is a bit more difficult as you can't really push the paratroopers back anywhere, or the troops landing, except into the Channel. I suppose a series of successful German counterattacks later in the battle could push the front back to the beach and force that to be refought over.

Having to account for spreading fires and stuff could be interesting, you don't live long enough to die from hunger or gain much from amputation. Some "downed" modes in games could be a semi-amputated mode already, like in Siege or PUBG where you're just bleeding out. (Another once DoD feature!)

The main conundrum that I'm trying to think about being introduced is rather than you progressing to new setups or pristine maps or even ones that you'll destroy on the way to the next one is the question of whether to destroy defenses or not since you may have to come back that way. I've long thought it interesting how these defenses and how to attack them can dynamically appear in something like DoD or DoD:S or RO, and how even that changes despite the map being the same, simply from individual players priorities, but in BC2 you could see some effect from the destructible buildings in terms of providing dynamism to the points (until a tank rolls in and blows the whole thing apart instantly) themselves and the paths to them. The theory here would be that in quickly capturing a location without needing to level the block you're also preserving it for a potential defense. Call of Duty 2's Stalingrad campaign loops you throughout a single map and shifts the enemy spawn waves, broken walls and rubble around to create a feeling like you're attacking a point, capturing it, holding off a counter attack, then moving to a different spot you basically did a small skirmish in to defend it now from a massive counter attack, that forces you back and into the area and buildings (which were scenery earlier) as a set of defensive points. (The first game did a similar stunt in its Stalingrad with, I think the Red Square, but it's just scenery from two locations. I don't remember if UO does anything in Bastogne or similar. 2 does the multi-waves on Hill 400 after its D-Day landing mission path.)

Though I also don't know what kind of level of strategerey people are looking for in their FPS with large maps. (And nearly unstoppable vehicles...) A "B" on a map may be as complex of objective as players will accept. Call of Duty had you attack into and seize before then defending Pavlov's House, but that kind of mission design being innovative is over two generations ago now, let alone the places multiplayer map and objective design has trended.

benjipwns

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2018, 05:32:08 PM »
shut up dummy and customize ur ahistorical girl until she's kawaii and winks sarcastically at people in the kill snapshot

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2018, 05:47:18 PM »
Especially after playing Red Orchestra back in the day on its many maps of the city I really have wanted a Stalingrad set game where it's just progressive and you can drop in and out to the "same battle" until it concludes and starts over. With all the house to house fighting, the progressive leveling of the entire city, etc.

Verdun, which I played an hour of with some random dudes due to the Steam thing, actually does a form of this in the one mode at least (was the only one with players...four) where you defend/attack each progressive trench line across No Man's Land, including artillery waves, whistles, machine guns, etc. I haven't really looked into the game too much, but like the main menu is setup as a map of the current state of the front and you pick from various locations (the maps) along it. It bends and changes too so it's not the same set in the same order.

Wolf:ET had the "front" system like this that decided the map rotation based on victories/objectives. But especially Battlefield has at this point shown they can do maps with the size and density and player count within Frostbite. And Operations/Frontlines in 1 starts to toy with this but it still felt like an extended corridor. The first Battlefront did this with some of its maps already too.

So like, if I was in charge and the only person at EA not working on Star Wars, I'd reboot Medal of Honor with a Medal of Honor II set around that type of Battle setpiece. D-Day especially could be a homage to both AA (and its expansion) and Airborne by having you either drop behind or spawn at the beach, then up onto it and back through the hedgerows into France. That would be the largest challenge, to incorporate that as a single front and battle. But most of the others, like Stalingrad, you could probably do comparatively easily by restricting the spawning to controlled points along the front. Bastogne or the Bulge in general would be fairly easy to "control" the points to create it at some point over the course of the battle.

I've noted before that some game, and a DoD map, did this over a decade ago, by swapping out the maps as the parts were captured. Rush as a mode basically already does this from a functional stand point, it turns off the spawn points, and silently swaps in and out the chunks of the maps. Frontlines/Operations and the upcoming Grand Operations in a way take these ideas into account but they still don't really have "consequences" related to the course of the battle beyond where the next points will be. (Or at least that I'm aware of.) A Stalingrad setting used like I'm thinking of would mean that if Pavlov's House doesn't survive the siege (or is destroyed in the course of the battle before any kind of use of it for defense even could occur), it's simply not there to be used later if need be. (Or used by the Germans even!)

D-Day is a bit more difficult as you can't really push the paratroopers back anywhere, or the troops landing, except into the Channel. I suppose a series of successful German counterattacks later in the battle could push the front back to the beach and force that to be refought over.

Having to account for spreading fires and stuff could be interesting, you don't live long enough to die from hunger or gain much from amputation. Some "downed" modes in games could be a semi-amputated mode already, like in Siege or PUBG where you're just bleeding out. (Another once DoD feature!)

The main conundrum that I'm trying to think about being introduced is rather than you progressing to new setups or pristine maps or even ones that you'll destroy on the way to the next one is the question of whether to destroy defenses or not since you may have to come back that way. I've long thought it interesting how these defenses and how to attack them can dynamically appear in something like DoD or DoD:S or RO, and how even that changes despite the map being the same, simply from individual players priorities, but in BC2 you could see some effect from the destructible buildings in terms of providing dynamism to the points (until a tank rolls in and blows the whole thing apart instantly) themselves and the paths to them. The theory here would be that in quickly capturing a location without needing to level the block you're also preserving it for a potential defense. Call of Duty 2's Stalingrad campaign loops you throughout a single map and shifts the enemy spawn waves, broken walls and rubble around to create a feeling like you're attacking a point, capturing it, holding off a counter attack, then moving to a different spot you basically did a small skirmish in to defend it now from a massive counter attack, that forces you back and into the area and buildings (which were scenery earlier) as a set of defensive points. (The first game did a similar stunt in its Stalingrad with, I think the Red Square, but it's just scenery from two locations. I don't remember if UO does anything in Bastogne or similar. 2 does the multi-waves on Hill 400 after its D-Day landing mission path.)

Though I also don't know what kind of level of strategerey people are looking for in their FPS with large maps. (And nearly unstoppable vehicles...) A "B" on a map may be as complex of objective as players will accept. Call of Duty had you attack into and seize before then defending Pavlov's House, but that kind of mission design being innovative is over two generations ago now, let alone the places multiplayer map and objective design has trended.
What you need to play is this:

Here guns from DOI compared with COD baby shit  :doge

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm totally shilling for this game because my brother is on the team. With that said his next game is going to kick BF/COD ass so hard it's not even funny  :doge
[close]
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 05:58:45 PM by Nintex »
🤴

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2018, 06:35:14 PM »
can vouch that day of infamy is legit

thisismyusername

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2018, 07:06:06 PM »
Damn, that Day of Infamy M1911 kick. :doge Don't see many FPS doing that sort of kicking.

/v/'s been shilling this in between shitposting Battlefield SJW threads: https://store.steampowered.com/app/736220/Post_Scriptum/ YMMV, of course.

thisismyusername

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2018, 07:07:15 PM »
Damn, that Day of Infamy M1911 kick. :doge Don't see many FPS doing that sort of kicking.

/v/'s been shilling this in between shitposting Battlefield SJW threads: https://store.steampowered.com/app/736220/Post_Scriptum/ YMMV, of course.

benjipwns

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2018, 08:15:56 PM »
"CRAZY INTENSE DOG RED GAMEPLAY" -> five minutes of dude camping choke point in trench firing at dudes half a mile away with a MP40

yup, looks like Day of Infamy alright

also, neither it nor Insurgency are anything remotely like what I was describing...which considering their centuries ago roots (a DoD:S mod with some RO people focused on REAL WAR, FOR REAL MEN) is not unexpected or a criticism of them, but of the recommendation of them as salve for an open world dynamic asymmetrical multiplayer fully destructible Stalingrad game wound...

benjipwns

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2018, 08:52:21 PM »
although, after thinking about it, much like playing on a REALISTIC 9TH DIVISION AIRBORNE READ RULES *SALUTE OFFICERS WHEN THEY COME ONLINE* server, playing DoI or Insurgency when one team is all hardcore RPers operating methodologically and the other team are jackasses who joined the server because it had people on it and fuck no they didn't read the name or the MotD can be a pretty fun asymmetrical multiplayer experience until they kick you all at least

disclaimer: there was only yelling in DoI, nobody was actually kicked...was banned from some "realistic" DoD servers many moons ago, don't remember more than kicking in DoD:S

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2018, 09:19:26 PM »
benji, how is Titanfall 2 (and do people still play it)? That long post had a lot of my same thoughts / aspirations for FPS.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2018, 10:26:51 PM »
titanfall 2 is great buy it you fuck

benjipwns

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2018, 10:27:48 PM »
i do quite love titanfall 2 (probably starts there, continues for pages) and play it pretty regularly still*, but it's not really anything close to what i described up there

it's really more a game of constant motion and angles and anything else feels like you're doing it wrong (even in the titans it kinda feels wrong)

like all the trailers in that thread, all the "show off shit" is regular every match events, constantly realizing your ability to move about and how to exploit it in a situational manner

the movement system almost renders the maps as little more than minor obstacles and/or paths, you couldn't put it in a destructible environment very easily, while the maps are fairly large to accommodate the Titans, they're actually smaller in 2 than the first game and there's nothing dynamic or "realistic open world" about them (you spawn anywhere away from player enemies after the first drop) with the second games maps being extra tweaked to accommodate the movement system (the first game has some large open spaces with nothing there)

the game isn't really symmetrical or asymmetrical, not everyone is the same, there's no class system outside of the titans, but at the same time there's no inherit advantages/disadvantages/counters to the pilots outside of just what you prefer/are good at, and the titans are mostly designed this way with some slight hardcoded parts like fast = less armor, slow = more armor, Attrition does produce semi-dynamic battle fronts that are drawn to specific places because of the way it spawns you and the AI grunts, the other non-DM modes have points to capture or whatever

so it's not really anything like what i outlined for where i'd like to see a military, especially WW2 and BF, type shooter to try, but is fun and unique in another set of ways, plus it's often like $5-10 these days, so...

Titanfall is far closer to its roots in Call of Duty MP than it is to something like Red Orchestra or even Battlefield, even if the scale of the battles with the sizes of the maps and numbers of AI grunts can make it look otherwise without hands-on experience knowing what exactly "matters" in the game

*i've actually never even played the campaign yet lolol
[close]

benjipwns

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2018, 10:30:38 PM »
to put it as a gif, titanfall 2 is more like this:

also it like dis:
movement in this game is soooooooooooooo goooooood especially when you're on an epic run and hitting everything with epic timing did another bounding off multiple things with a pair of grapples into one last grapple onto the drop ship again

plus exploiting the momentum system is some kind of crazy evil magic that's so much the key to being unfair to others in this, dead stops and odd angles and fakes...i played infinite warfare a bit the other day and i realized that was the main difference, they nailed the wall running and sliding but it has absolutely none of the momentum control and i realized i was constantly trying to fake one way to boost back the other and land beside a guy at a 90 degree angle but you simply can't

in a match earlier these dudes were campin up by this rock i grappled in out of nowhere, did a back boost to instantly drop and killed the first guy then went like i was going around the rock to get the other guy since he put up a shield, but actually grappled back to the left towards the shield and then used the momentum to launch me into the air over it and then boosted again backwards so i was like above the dude flyin to what once was my right firing on him :dead

:lawd bless up :rejoice
did i mention that i love this games movement system
I'm actually surprised this game isn't doing far worse considering how shit it is compared to Titanfall 1.

If respawn doesn't go back to Tf1 for influence and continue down this tf2 path the franchise is dead.
diaf
[close]
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 10:40:48 PM by benjipwns »

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2018, 10:41:43 PM »
Honestly you guys might dig siege. Horrible pricing scheme (thx ubi) but so far its like 85% chess mind games, 10% bullshit 5% memorizing head placement.

I won a match today thanks to a "meme plant." We breached the closest plant site to the outside as attackers, smoked while we planted and just stood outside watching it and they couldn't do anything about it. They couldn't defuse because we had the superior position, they couldn't leave the building because as defenders, that alerts attackers to where you are.  They just had to watch and lose.

Game is full of shit like that though, where it pays to be clever but on the flip expect to lose to some complete simpleton bullshit. Sometimes taking a sledgehammer to the wall/floor is the best solution...but so is sitting in a corner peering sideways through 2 doorways and a wall to get that perfect headshot. bless up.

as the eastern european pubby i met said, coaching me "you must think of whole map as puzzle"
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 10:52:09 PM by toku »

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2018, 10:46:57 PM »
Sorry, I should have been more specific. I didn't ask that question because I think it's the same kind of game, I asked that question because I was vaguely aware of the fact that you liked / had liked the game before and I think we have similar tastes in shooters. Shukran.

benjipwns

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2018, 10:55:40 PM »
Siege like Titanfall's "problem" is its oriented towards a quick match system around a handful of players

in "classic" Battlefield you can personally go on a completely dominate three minute run or so terrorizing everyone you see, and it can just not matter at all, be completely useless to the team in the long run, in Siege/Titanfall/CoD that would pretty much decide the game

even Titanfall 2's "team-weighted" modes like bounty hunt or hardpoint still has a multiplier where that combined with simply average teammates will steamroll the other team...you capture and amp all three hardpoints and hold them for a minute straight by taking out the other team and it's hard to win that match unless it's super early and no titans are on the board yet

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I didn't ask that question because I think it's the same kind of game, I asked that question because I was vaguely aware of the fact that you liked / had liked the game before and I think we have similar tastes in shooters. Shukran.
i do quite like Siege too, probably my second place fav of recent shooters after Titanfall 2

benjipwns

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2018, 11:04:23 PM »
if Titanfall 2 is a 9, Siege is like a 7 sometimes 8, Dirty Bomb is 7 but like potentially an 8, Overwatch is like a 6, Call of Duty: WWII is like a 3 except for those first two hours after you unlock the incendiary rounds for the shotgun at which it jumps up to a 9 and slowly descends back down...BF2 and BFBC2 were like 8, BF4 probably is, BF3 more like 7ish

similarly since I think you mentioned it, Warframe seems like it could be a 7-8 but i always forget to play more or it has like an 8GB update for me so i only have a few hours with it really
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 11:08:40 PM by benjipwns »

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2018, 11:07:45 PM »
warframe is a great game to completely dissociate to

Kara

« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2018, 11:10:08 PM »
I'd give Wowframe a 7 or 8 until you get into the more unstructured parts of the game. It feels very MMORPG very fast (always feeling like you're behind the development curve) when you get to that point and the F2P stuff exacerbates that.

Very stylish and "cool" game though. If you're say... deep on Monster Hunter I'd suggest it without a lot of reservation.

Kara

« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2018, 11:55:10 PM »
Titanfall 2 Deluxe Edition was cheaper than Syndicate. I forgot how EA EA is.

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2018, 12:02:46 AM »
dirty bomb is easily a 9  >:(

thisismyusername

« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2018, 12:16:55 AM »
dirty bomb is easily a 9  >:(

And BF4 at least is better than 3, but under BC2.

I'd put it like BC1-2: 10, BF3: 7, BF4: 9, BF1: 4. BF2: 7.5 BF2142: 8, BF:Vietnam: 6.8, BF:5: ...7? 8? Maybe?

Kara: Titanfall is niche. So 1 and 2 both have like 500-1,000 players (if that) on PC. If you're playing on console, they may be slightly more popular, but at this point of the game you have to expect to get stomped until you get your legs under you on those. So YMMV if you're not the type willing to sink hours eating shit until you "git gud" on those.

Siege had a small playerbase but word of mouth increased it over time.

benjipwns

« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2018, 12:31:36 AM »
Last I checked, which was last year, Titanfall 1 on PC only had like a hundred-ish players and they're basically all in Attrition or the "Campaign" and 2 has only recently (end of April-ish) dropped under 1000 average on weeknights.

I'm not sure the players are any better, or that there's any kind of extreme skill curve at all like you suggest. Especially compared to something like Siege or CS:GO or even BOIII. I'm not even sure most players even know how to use the Titans very well, usually like one or two dudes a match seem to really be threats with them.

More importantly, you left off BF:HARDLINE (and 1942 (and 1943))) and only a racist would rate 2142 higher than 2, so that was expected.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2018, 12:40:18 AM »
bf2 has some of the worst shooting mechanics ive ever suffered through in an online multiplayer game

benjipwns

« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2018, 01:10:01 AM »
we considered it charming back then to unload an entire magazine at someone and have them dive to prone and one shot you

benjipwns

« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2018, 01:13:37 AM »
or more likely have some third dope drive over both of you with an APC

Kara

« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2018, 02:38:06 AM »
Based solely on the tutorial, I'm going to be really bad at Titanfall 2.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2018, 02:54:01 AM »
it gets easier once you realize tf's whole...thing is basically to destroy common current popular shooter mechanics. So don't ADS often and never stop moving. I know they call them pilots in-game/lore already but it helps think of yourself as a plane. You make passes, you find your lane and your loops but you do everything on the go.

benjipwns

« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2018, 02:54:04 AM »
extra remember: this probably means you too dummy
[close]

remember: "nobody ever looks up"

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2018, 05:54:39 AM »
Wtf is this garbage

I read WW2

Play trailer

See people with facial tats and a woman, guy with a katana

Fuck this

:trigger

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2018, 06:03:03 AM »
The girl has a cricket bat with barb wire on it  :doge

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2018, 09:23:28 AM »
I would say that WW2 has completed its transition to popular myth that you can do anything with, but then I feel like the genre fiction mill (I count games among it) has started churning through the material in this way pretty quickly.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2018, 09:56:39 AM »
It cant be myth if there is a few people left that can tell you first hand accounts

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2018, 10:59:22 AM »
Myth, as in mythology. A defining story which may or may not be entirely accurate. Not 'common misconception'.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2018, 12:24:39 PM »
Idk rufus it feels wrong with this subject

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2018, 12:45:37 PM »
I'm not married to the idea. :yeshrug

Nabbis

• oops
« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2018, 01:44:00 PM »
If they want to add women they could have added actual Soviet ones that had real achievements instead of English The Boss.  ::)

Kara

« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2018, 01:50:36 PM »
If they want to add women they could have added actual Soviet ones that had real achievements instead of English The Boss.  ::)

It's easier to make a game that's complete fabrication than it is to make a game that says, "Actually, the Eastern Front decided the war." Americans need their participation trophies for being the world's best 70th minute substitution.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2018, 01:57:57 PM »

It's easier to make a game that's complete fabrication than it is to make a game that says, "Actually, the Eastern Front decided the war." Americans need their participation trophies for being the world's best 70th minute substitution.

Newsfeed

Best post of 2018

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2018, 03:13:09 PM »
The usual suspects are butthurt again that you can be a woman soldier because it "effects the realism" of video game war.  :neogaf
©ZH

thisismyusername

« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2018, 05:48:20 PM »
The usual suspects are butthurt again that you can be a woman soldier because it "effects the realism" of video game war.  :neogaf

I mean:

http://archive.is/oNXv6

Like I agree with Demize's point that having character customization and not having the gender be customizable is dumb. But at the same time, when you claim you're going for "realism" don't be surprised if people are calling you out for not matching with history. :yeshrug

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2018, 06:03:36 PM »
The fact that the women thing is what people want to whine about when you can complain about many many many actual issues that have hampered the franchise in recent iterations speaks volumes to me.

benjipwns

« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2018, 08:16:42 PM »
I find it amusing that in the case of both Battlefield and Call of Duty, the endless churn of soldiers to death represented by the fast respawning/countdown until certain number of deaths are recorded/etc. system is far more respective of the Eastern Front than the Western Front where most soldiers on both sides went for years without suffering severe injury, let alone dying.

And yet at the same time, the same type of war buff loves Enemy At The Gates/Call of Duty's Stalingrad intro of "here is a clip, when the soldier in front of you dies, pick up his rifle" portrayal of this even though that's ahistorical and the Soviets weren't using outdated human wave tactics, they simply were...say, less concerned...about individual conditions compared to the overall war effort than their Western counterparts both friend and foe. They also took into consideration their sheer manpower advantage onto a single front. Also, there was that whole part where they were being invaded instead of being the ones doing the invading I suppose.

COD:WWII's complete non-existence of the Eastern Front was surprising considering the series original history as being unique in portraying both it and the British's long war in Africa. I think in CoD/UO/2 you actually spend more time as a Soviet and British soldier than an American. And the American campaigns are comparatively non-eventful, even at Bastogne. (CoD 3 tried the idea of following all the individual nations (Canada/Poland/etc.) together as a group on the Western Front, and 2:Big Red One on PS2/Xbox was built around the idea of following a single unit within an army, so they get a pass.) World at War added the Pacific War as their primary American campaign and used the Soviets as the one against the Nazi's.

I actually thought many of BF1942's better maps were the British related ones. Especially in North Africa, it lent itself better to the engine at the time than the American and Soviet ones. Red Orchestra seemed like the first game of the type to really be able to handle "cities" and other more common largescale Eastern Front locations as MP maps.

On the subject, I always thought it interesting how Day of Defeat built so many of its maps around the Italian Campaign or Falaise. Anzio, Avalanche, Saints, Switch, etc. are all set in Italy. Caen, Donner, Flash, Kalt, etc. are in Falaise, some during the winter. Jagd is in one or the other depending on if you're playing the Source version or not. So many WW2 games, even media, do D-Day, then you skip straight to The Bulge and then the war's over. (Except stuff like Band of Brothers and Hell's Highway which both pop up to the North for Market Garden.)

IIRC, BF1942's expansions did add stuff like Italy and some Free French stuff and so on...though that's a very different DICE from the current one. BF1 was almost a parody of what that DICE would have done with the war. :lol
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 08:23:56 PM by benjipwns »

benjipwns

« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2018, 08:27:17 PM »
All that said, we did send all those precious supplies to the Eastern Front for Uncle Joe to use. :american

USA USA USA USA USA

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2018, 10:54:18 PM »
yo rs2v is also legit

play with me

Kara

« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2018, 11:18:19 PM »
On the subject, I always thought it interesting how Day of Defeat built so many of its maps around the Italian Campaign or Falaise. Anzio, Avalanche, Saints, Switch, etc. are all set in Italy. Caen, Donner, Flash, Kalt, etc. are in Falaise, some during the winter. Jagd is in one or the other depending on if you're playing the Source version or not. So many WW2 games, even media, do D-Day, then you skip straight to The Bulge and then the war's over. (Except stuff like Band of Brothers and Hell's Highway which both pop up to the North for Market Garden.)

IIRC, BF1942's expansions did add stuff like Italy and some Free French stuff and so on...though that's a very different DICE from the current one. BF1 was almost a parody of what that DICE would have done with the war. :lol

I also found it interesting (especially since Anzio was a well made map) that Day of Defeat's Normandy landing level was regularly miserable and borderline unplayable. It's as if the level choice and design was a preemptive reaction to the next N years of World War 2 games.

The first Battlefield expansion was part Italy and part North Africa with the Free French forces on a map or more. I only remember that last part because when you died on that team your character would say, "mon Dieu," on occasion and my friends and I thought that was hilarious.

The Second Sino-japanese War is something to mine someday, especially in Battlefield. It'd be the Battlefield Vietnam sequel I've always wanted.