Author Topic: Zen  (Read 34340 times)

team filler

• filler
  • filler
Re: Zen
« Reply #180 on: March 01, 2019, 02:24:44 AM »
By detachment I mean that you must not worry whether the desired result follows from your action or not, so long as your motive is pure, your means correct.

But renunciation of fruit, in no way means indifference to the result.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #181 on: March 01, 2019, 08:17:35 PM »
 :lol

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #182 on: March 24, 2019, 07:40:48 PM »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #183 on: April 02, 2019, 05:54:46 PM »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #184 on: April 04, 2019, 05:41:44 PM »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #185 on: April 04, 2019, 05:48:24 PM »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #186 on: April 04, 2019, 10:09:42 PM »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #187 on: April 06, 2019, 02:27:42 AM »
"When it comes to problems of the mind. I find it is best to take them on as if I were trying to move a heavy boulder.

Rather than try to lift the entire thing at once. Instead you can chip away at it one small piece at a time, maybe even knocking away larger chunks every now and then. In due time you will find that what once seemed such a large insurmountable issue, has now been reduced to that of a small pebble or dust. It may even give you the feeling that it was not much of problem to begin with.

Now setbacks can and will happen along the way, but those pieces you chipped off don't regrow. So you can pick up right where you left off when you are ready to start working at it again "

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #188 on: April 17, 2019, 04:09:54 AM »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #189 on: April 20, 2019, 12:57:44 PM »
 1. Having few desires

Not extensively seeking objects of desire not yet attained is called having few desires.

Buddha said, “You monks should know that people with many desires seek to gain a lot, and therefore their afflictions are also many. Those with few desires have no seeking and no craving, so they don’t have this problem. You should cultivate having few desires even for this reason alone, to say nothing of the fact that having few desires can produce virtues. People with few desires are free from flattery and deviousness whereby they might seek to curry people’s favor, and they also are not under the compulsion of their senses. Those who act with few desires are calm, without worry or fear. Whatever the situation, there is more than enough—there is never insufficiency. Those who have few desires have nirvana.”

2. Being content

To take what one has got within bounds is called being content.

Buddha said, “O monks, if you want to shed afflictions, you should observe contentment. The state of contentment is the abode of prosperity and happiness, peace and tranquility. Those who are content may sleep on the ground and still consider it comfortable; those who are not content would be dissatisfied even in heaven. Those who are not content are always caught up in sensual desires; they are pitied by those who are content.”

3. Enjoying quietude

Leaving the clamor and staying alone in deserted places is called enjoying quietude.

Buddha said, “O monks, if you wish to seek peace and happiness of quietude and nonstriving, you should leave the clamor and live without clutter in a solitary place. People in quiet places are honored by the gods. Therefore you should leave your own group as well as other groups, stay alone in a deserted place, and think about extirpating the root of suffering. Those who like crowds suffer the vexations of crowds, just as a big tree will suffer withering and breakage when flicks of birds gather on it. Worldly ties and clinging sink you into a multitude of pains, like an old elephant sunk in the mud, unable to get itself out.”

4. Diligence

Diligently cultivating virtues without interruption is called diligence, pure and unalloyed, advancing without regression.

Buddha said, “O monks, if you make diligent efforts, nothing is hard. Therefore you should be diligent. It is like even a small stream being able to pierce rock if it continually flows. If the practitioner’s mind flags and gives up time and time again, that is like drilling for fire but stopping before heat is produced—though you want to get fire, fire can hardly be gotten this way.”

5. Unfailing recollection

This is also called keeping right mindfulness; keeping the teachings without loss is called right mindfulness, and also called unfailing recollection.

Buddha said, “O monks, if you seek a good companion and seek a good protector and helper, nothing compares to unfailing recollection. Those who have unfailing recollection cannot be invaded by the thieving afflictions. Therefore you should concentrate your thoughts and keep mindful. One who loses mindfulness loses virtues. If one’s power of mindfulness is strong, even if one enters among the thieving desires one will not be harmed by them. It is like going to the front lines wearing armor—then one has nothing to fear.”

6. Cultivating meditation concentration

Dwelling on the teaching without distraction is called meditation concentration.

Buddha said, “O monks, if you concentrate the mind, it will be in a state of stability and you will be able to know the characteristics of the phenomena arising and perishing in the world. Therefore you should energetically cultivate and learn the concentrations. If you attain concentration, your mind will not be distracted. Just as a household careful of water builds a dam, so does the practitioner, for the sake of the water of knowledge and wisdom, cultivate meditation concentration well, to prevent them from leaking.”

7. Cultivating wisdom

Developing learning, thinking, and application, the realization is wisdom.

Buddha said, “O monks, if you have wisdom, you will have no greedy attachment. Always examine yourselves and do not allow any heedlessness. Then you will be able to attain liberation from ego and things. Otherwise, you are neither people of the Way nor laypeople—there is no way to refer to you. True wisdom is a secure ship to cross the sea of aging, sickness, and death. It is also a bright lamp in the darkness of ignorance, good medicine for all the ailing, a sharp axe to fell the trees of afflictions. Therefore you should use the wisdom of learning, thinking, and application, and increase it yourself. If anyone has the illumination of wisdom, this is a person with clear eyes, even though it be the mortal eye.”

8. Not engaging in vain talk

Realizing detachment from arbitrary discrimination is called not engaging in vain talk; when one has fully comprehended the character of reality, one will not engage in vain talk.

Buddha said, “O monks, if you indulge in various kinds of vain talk, your mind will be disturbed. Even if you leave society you will still not attain liberation. Therefore you should immediately give up vain talk which disturbs the mind. If you want to attain bliss of tranquility and dispassion, you should extinguish the affliction of vain talk.”

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #190 on: April 20, 2019, 12:59:47 PM »
Buddha said, “You monks should know that people with many desires seek to gain a lot, and therefore their afflictions are also many. Those with few desires have no seeking and no craving, so they don’t have this problem. You should cultivate having few desires even for this reason alone, to say nothing of the fact that having few desires can produce virtues. People with few desires are free from flattery and deviousness whereby they might seek to curry people’s favor, and they also are not under the compulsion of their senses. Those who act with few desires are calm, without worry or fear. Whatever the situation, there is more than enough—there is never insufficiency. Those who have few desires have nirvana.”

tfw #clownworld is nirvana  :thinking
🤴

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #191 on: April 20, 2019, 05:01:55 PM »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #192 on: April 21, 2019, 06:58:09 AM »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #193 on: April 21, 2019, 11:53:24 PM »

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #194 on: April 22, 2019, 10:16:44 AM »
sounds like bullshit to me

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #195 on: April 22, 2019, 05:23:21 PM »
In India, this realization has been part of a common spiritual heritage for thousands of years, fed by the personal experience of mystics from most of the world’s major religions. Hinduism and Buddhism, of course, originated there; Islam and Zoroastrianism have contributed to its culture for several centuries. Jewish communities in South India date from before the Christian era; and Christianity arrived in Kerala state, where I was born, long before it reached most of Europe – in fact, according to Church tradition, the Gospel was brought to India by the Apostle Thomas himself in the first century A.D. Indians are used to being surrounded by many paths to God, and I don’t think any people are more catholic in accepting truth in whatever religion they find it.

Against this background, there is a story about a missionary school being inspected by one of the church officials. These inspections could come at any time, and the inspector – who, of course, was usually not Indian – had the privilege of stepping unannounced into any classroom, playing the teacher, and asking whatever question he liked. In this story, an inspector steps in on an English class and says – in English – “Let me ask you three questions: One, what does God know? Two, what can he do? Three, where is he to be found?”

Most of the village children were taken by surprise: after all, it is hard enough to discuss theology in your own language, let alone in somebody else’s. But there was one little fellow at the back who really knew his spiritual heritage. He stood up and said politely, “Sir, may I ask *you* three questions?”

The examiner was a good sport, so he said yes. And the boy asked: “What does God *not* know? What can he not do? Where is he not?”

It is a simple reply, but it says a great deal. To the mystic, it is absurd to say there is no God. He is our life, our very Self; how can we deny him? Only when we think that God is something outside us is it possible to say that God does not exist.

A few years ago I remember a columnist describing his family’s trip to Europe. While they were driving through France, the children kept complaining, “Dad, when are we going to see Europe?” It is much like that with God. If you want to see the Lord, the mystics say, just look around you; what else is there? “Open your eyes,” says Hugh of St. Victor; “the world is full of God.”

The Sufis have a vivid image for this. The Lord, they say, is the Showman, but he is also the show. In Sanskrit he is Mahamayi, the Cosmic Magician, who has cast the illusion of separateness over all the universe. P.T. Barnum may have been proud of the “greatest show on earth,” but the earth itself is only a small part of the vast show that is the Lord’s. So the Hindu scriptures do not talk about God creating the world; they say that he *became* the world. It is not something different from him; it is a form which he has put on.

– Eknath Easwaran, from “The Bhagavad Gita for Daily Living, vol. 2: Like a Thousand Suns”

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #196 on: May 23, 2019, 03:18:16 AM »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #197 on: October 27, 2019, 06:47:17 AM »
The Upanishads say pithily, “Those who see all creatures in themselves and themselves in all creatures know no fear.” The idea that each of us is separate from the rest is the very source of fear. “When there is no other,” the Upanishads ask, “with whom can I be angry? Of whom can I be afraid?”

In South India, where I grew up, two things brought fear to almost every heart: snakes and ghosts. Each village had at least one ghost, and Kerala’s lush climate is as pleasant for snakes as it is for less fearsome creatures. Some of these snakes are harmless, but several are so poisonous that death can come in minutes. A rationalist might laugh at the fear of ghosts, but I would venture to say that no one from South India, however well educated, walks about in the countryside without the fear of snakes somewhere at the back of his mind.

This danger is especially real at dusk, for that is the time when snakes like to come out and enjoy the evening, just like everybody else, and in the fading sunlight it is difficult to see. At such times anyone can be excused if he suddenly jumps and cries out in fear to avoid what turns out to be only a stick or vine or piece of rope lying beside the path.

Shankara, who came from my same state of Kerala in South India, drew on such experiences to illustrate the nature of separateness and fear. When a villager sees a snake where there is only a rope, superimposing his ideas of snakeness on what he actually perceives, his fright is very real. His heart pounds and adrenaline courses through his body just as if a living cobra lay across his path. What causes that fear? Not a snake, Shankara implies, but the idea of it in the mind.

In just the same way, we often impose our fears on an innocent world. The more separate we feel from the rest of life, the more threatening it seems. Ironically, if we act threatened, we may provoke an aggressive response that seems to confirm our fears. All this falls away as meditation deepens. Your eyes clear, and you see that what you had been afraid of was a projection of your own state of mind.

– Eknath Easwaran, from “The Constant Companion”

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #198 on: October 27, 2019, 07:52:12 AM »
The mystics are not theorizing when they declare that the supreme goal of life is to become aware of the indivisible unity that is the Divine Ground of existence. They are drawing upon their own personal experience in which they have realized that all life is one.

The source of all sorrow lies in trying to resist our evolution towards this goal by maintaining our own separateness. It does not take much depth of observation, even for ordinary people like us, to discover that the person who does not merge his welfare into that of the family is usually very insecure, and so is the family in which he lives. If, for example, husband and wife try to compete with each other and maintain their separateness, they make themselves miserable, their children miserable, and even their locality miserable. In contrast, if we look at people who are secure, loved, and respected wherever they go, we usually find that they are able to base their action on an awareness that the interests of those around them are more important than their own individual interests. When I forget myself in the joy of those around me, I am fulfilling myself. It is when I try to maintain my separateness that I become more and more insecure, because my innate need, my deep, driving need, is to realize my oneness with all life.

– Eknath Easwaran, from "The Bhagavad Gita for Daily Living, vol. 1: End of Sorrow"

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #199 on: December 30, 2019, 08:59:21 PM »

Himu

« Reply #200 on: December 30, 2019, 09:06:58 PM »
holy shit i've never seen teepo mad before and in a goddamn zen thread of all things
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #201 on: December 30, 2019, 09:16:07 PM »
Assy may be permabanned but his spirit remains.  :salute
dog

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #202 on: December 30, 2019, 09:17:55 PM »
 :tocry

unban my boy!  ::)

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #203 on: December 30, 2019, 11:31:30 PM »
Free Assimilate!
每天生气

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #204 on: January 01, 2020, 10:11:24 PM »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #205 on: January 03, 2020, 01:48:14 AM »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #206 on: January 03, 2020, 04:45:17 PM »

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #207 on: October 05, 2020, 11:34:55 AM »
be well filler

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #208 on: October 15, 2020, 05:44:53 PM »
 :heart

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #209 on: October 17, 2020, 04:41:45 AM »
:phil

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #210 on: October 18, 2020, 02:50:13 PM »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #212 on: October 19, 2020, 02:25:26 PM »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #213 on: October 20, 2020, 03:30:44 PM »
"Do not praise your own faith exclusively so that you disbelieve all the rest. If you do this you will miss much good. Nay, you will miss the whole truth of the matter."

------------Ibn Arabi [The Tarjuman Al-Ashwaq – Preface]

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #214 on: October 20, 2020, 08:53:01 PM »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #215 on: October 21, 2020, 11:38:44 PM »
“Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured. - Seneca

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #216 on: October 21, 2020, 11:39:35 PM »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #217 on: October 21, 2020, 11:50:10 PM »
Panic exists, but it's like I don't have to listen to it. It's not driving or having much effect at all. It's just background noise and I stay calm.

besides that, I allow for a lot of different possibilities. then just move about as if the most normal reality is true.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #218 on: October 22, 2020, 07:46:56 PM »
"It's the beauty within us that makes it possible for us to recognize the beauty around us. The question is not what you look at but what you see."
- Henry David Thoreau

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #219 on: October 23, 2020, 01:54:35 PM »
this stuff is real for me, I'd be dead or locked away somewhere otherwise. I can't make it real for anyone else unfortunately.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #221 on: October 28, 2020, 10:08:48 AM »
The mind does not like to meditate; it wants to wander. When someone is not doing very well in meditation, one explanation is simple: his or her mind is elsewhere. The early stages of meditation are like a primary school for the mind. At first we are simply trying to get the mind to stay on the school grounds until the last bell rings. This is all we can do at first. The mind has been playing truant for years; when we try to concentrate, it simply is not present. All we can do is stand at the doorstep and whistle, trying to call it back in.
Even if all we do in thirty minutes of meditation is to call the mind back thirty times, we have made great progress. We don’t have to wait for the day when the mind is completely still to receive immense benefits from meditation. As the Bhagavad Gita says, even a little of this discipline protects us from great dangers.
– Eknath Easwaran, from "Words to Live By: A Daily Guide to Leading an Exceptional Life"

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #222 on: October 31, 2020, 08:51:02 AM »

zen and misogyny  :heart :pimp

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #223 on: October 31, 2020, 07:54:13 PM »

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #224 on: November 01, 2020, 10:55:41 AM »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #225 on: November 02, 2020, 06:20:51 AM »
The Taoist way of life for example would suggest that rather than transformation of nature we can seek identification with nature, rather than goals we can seek spontaneity, rather than projecting ourselves onto the world we can accept its flow of energies with humility.

A.S. Kline

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #226 on: November 02, 2020, 06:29:33 AM »

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #227 on: November 02, 2020, 06:59:39 AM »
Bitches Ain't Shit confirmed for Zen.
Hi

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #228 on: November 02, 2020, 08:13:14 AM »
At first I thought the Dalai Lama's comments were very sexist for someone so special, but you have to remember he isn't actually a Dalai Lama he's just some random Tibetan kid chosen at random.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #229 on: November 03, 2020, 02:15:35 AM »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #230 on: November 03, 2020, 03:02:15 AM »

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #231 on: November 03, 2020, 03:09:42 AM »
:titus  :dead
Margs

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #232 on: November 03, 2020, 09:13:14 AM »
Listen to this with some good headphones.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #233 on: November 08, 2020, 09:11:54 AM »

Tasty

To: filler-sama
« Reply #234 on: November 08, 2020, 10:25:28 AM »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #235 on: November 09, 2020, 01:45:09 AM »
As much as you can, keep dunya (worldly life) in your hand--not in your heart. That means when someone insults you, keep it out of your heart so it doesn't make you bitter or defensive. When someone praises you, also keep it out of your heart, so it doesn't make you arrogant and self-deluded. When you face hardship and stress, don't absorb it in your heart, so you don't become hopeless and overwhelmed. Instead keep it in your hands and realize that everything passes. When you're given a gift by God, don't hold it in your heart. Hold it in your hand so that you don't begin to love the gift more than the Giver. And so that when it is taken away you can truly respond with 'inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi rajioon': 'indeed we belong to God, and to God we return.'

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #236 on: November 09, 2020, 06:47:12 PM »

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #237 on: November 09, 2020, 08:59:00 PM »
lol, letting out your internalized frustration with snide comments :rejoice
◕‿◕

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #238 on: November 11, 2020, 01:19:18 AM »
I’m absolutely not a rabbi, but I’ve been thinking a lot about this, actually, and what stealing might mean to gd. and I know this post is probably a joke but like I said. been thinking about it a lot.

So what a lot of people may not know is that the Torah is mostly like. a farming manual. A day-to-day life guide for 6,000 years ago. And so it has instructions for harvesting, of course. But it says specifically that you shouldn’t reap all the way to the edge of your field, and that you should leave that for the poor. It also says that you shouldn’t take the fallen grapes from your vineyard, and to leave that also for the poor. And a lot more little things like that.

So why is it encouraged? Why doesn’t it count as stealing for the poor to take the food you grew?

I think that gd’s definition of stealing would, in this case, punish you if you did take the fallen food from your fields, because you’d be taking it from the mouths and bellies of people who clearly desperately need it. It’s not the poor who are stealing, because they are simply trying to survive. I think gd wants us to remember, in our harvests, in our successes, that we have a duty to give what we can to those who need it, and if we don’t, that’s stealing from our fellow human.

team filler

• filler
  • filler