Author Topic: ANIMAL CROSSING: NEW HORIZONS - Thread of Gaming Zen  (Read 205180 times)

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
Cindy, there’s some important stuff locked behind nook miles, but in a few hours of play I’ve unlocked most of it that’s like that just by fishing, selling stuff, buying stuff, planting flowers, talking to the locals, etc. It won’t be in your way, but it will be part of stuff and maybe even keep you motivated

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
Man, the camping stuff really doesn't last long. House should be up tomorrow.

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
I haven't read anything about this game in months and I'm terrified to buy it in case Nintendo fucked up again :(
:O

james

Brehs I legit teared up when I heard there's a GameCube camera option :tocry

I wanted it so much for so long I gave up hope, and they still gave it to me :tocry

Please explain

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
Got pears now too

Coffee Dog

I wanted it so much for so long I gave up hope, and they still gave it to me :tocry

Please explain

Theres an option to move the camera to top down like the GCN game instead of 3/4 view like every other animal crossing since. Its purely cosmetic, the grid is still gone

james

Please explain

Theres an option to move the camera to top down like the GCN game instead of 3/4 view like every other animal crossing since. Its purely cosmetic, the grid is still gone

If this is a hoax I am going on a mass shooting spree I swear to god

Tasty

Please explain

Press the right analogue stick in the down direction and the game switches to a top-down view like the GameCube game, with the "rolling log" effect heavily reduced.

Tasty

Please explain

The grid is still kinda there, just the boundaries are gone. In fact this is the first game since the GameCube one to letter the acres again (A1-F5 in GC, A0-F6 in NH.)

Himu

My fruit are oranges.

The QOL changes like auto bunching items together is great.

Being able to actually stash weeds is what the fuck.
IYKYK

james

Please explain

The grid is still kinda there, just the boundaries are gone. In fact this is the first game since the GameCube one to letter the acres again (A1-F5 in GC, A0-F6 in NH.)

They did it.

They finally did it.

It took them 20 fucking years but they fixed the errors of the past

:rejoice :rejoice :rejoice :rejoice :rejoice

Downloading tonight bois

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
I’ll be leaving my gate open most the day, closing for my island excursions if no one is in, cherries and pears are still growing but oranges are to be found, especially in areas you gotta vault across the river to

Potato

• Senior's Member
Cindi, are you going to compile all the friend codes into a single post?
Spud

Himu

Cindi, are you going to compile all the friend codes into a single post?

Yes been busy
IYKYK

Himu

Adding to OP. Would be helpful if you also supplied your region, usual time of play, and native fruit as well.

Potato SW-2549-2352-3415
Bork SW-4202-9640-1246
Pilonv SW-0929-3974-6477
Catscatscats SW-7627-4931-6106
Tasty SW-5868-7745-1190
21337 SW-3916-6690-6303
Hardcore retro SW-3706-6629-1492

IYKYK

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
My step son came over and weeded my whole island besides the upper tiers I can’t get to yet lol (he has his own switch)

Himu

As someone that loves the zen of cleaning up your town in AC, I've never been so pleased. So. Many. Weeds.
IYKYK

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
I’m Spencer from CitrusCove :)

Tasty

This rainbow popping up minutes before my big four-hour interview today was magical~ 🌈 Hope it's a good sign!! 🤞🏻

After my five-round process, I sat relieved and let the sunset pass me by. 🌇

Gulliver!!! :heartbeat

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
©@©™

james

Is there an island generation strategy I should pursue?

Himu

What are you talking about? The layout? No different than past AC's?
IYKYK

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
Yoooo this museum better open up so I can donate this oarfish I just caught

Himu

I hate locking out content of crucial features. I will be time traveling to unlock it. Fuck handhold bullshit.
IYKYK

james

What are you talking about? The layout? No different than past AC's?

Right should i worry about the river or cliffs fucking me over?

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
0 time skips for me, won’t do it. Just throwing a bunch of fish in house storage and displaying my fossils like some libertarian weirdo

Himu

I'm all for playing it cool and not rushing unlocks.

But waiting for the museum to unlock is literally indefensible.

Animal crossing is ABOUT collecting. The museum is the only building in the game open 24 hours for a REASON.

This is just bad game design. Padding out crucial, basic features is not "chill". It's stupid and slow.

Skip. This is coming from someone that never time travels.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 08:50:24 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
That’s cool if that’s how you wanna play, and I do think it’s frustrating I’m hoarding collection items to donate later, I’m just all about bouncing along island life and goin with the flow ~~

Potato

• Senior's Member
I've got peaches, but my kids have taken over now.
Spud

Tasty

Time skipping in Animal Crossing :jeanluc

@james: Yeah, the river exits and some features like the dock and secret beach are locked-in, so I'd base things on that. The rest can be terraformed to your heart's content eventually.

Tasty

The museum not being open would be a problem if:

1. placing things outside wasn't a thing, basically unlimited storage
2. you have nearly unlimited storage in your house

I believe before you get bottlenecked you end up donating ~20 items to the museum anyways. How much unique things are you catching day one? I mean, I've gone way over that already, but I'm an obsessive-compulsive freak and I knew what I was getting into.

In the first Animal Crossing you had to mail out the fossils before they could be identified and the whole process could take like 1-3 days before you realized you've already donated it. For whatever you can fault the new system, the QoL enhancements in all the subsystems like storage seem to make up for it IMO. YMMV I suppose.

Tasty

For the record in terms of starting island, I wouldn't recommend maps with both rivers exiting at the south end. I feel like at least one should exit east or west, otherwise running along the beach could be annoying.

Beyond that I didn't really sweat my choice.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
What is the “secret beach?”

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
Mine is exactly as you have recommended against but I’ve gotten good at switching to the vaulting pole quickly lol 

Potato

• Senior's Member

I believe before you get bottlenecked you end up donating ~20 items to the museum anyways. How much unique things are you catching day one? I mean, I've gone way over that already, but I'm an obsessive-compulsive freak and I knew what I was getting into.

In the first Animal Crossing you had to mail out the fossils before they could be identified and the whole process could take like 1-3 days before you realized you've already donated it. For whatever you can fault the new system, the QoL enhancements in all the subsystems like storage seem to make up for it IMO. YMMV I suppose.
Fucking flashbacks to sending fossils in letters there breh.

:shaking
Spud

Coffee Dog

I'm really not sure how you could say Animal Crossing is "about" collecting. They haven't changed or deepened the collection aspects of the game since the series started, and they've only cut down on the types of things that fill out the museum.

If you look at the improvements and changes they have made since the original game, they have largely fallen into two categories
-increasing granularity of cosmetic customization
-increasing speed at which you obtain and/or utilize said customization options, whether that's totally overhauling house decoration or cutting down wait times to nothing

Everything else has been pretty much the same. There's pretty obviously one specific type of player that they're catering to, I doubt fish/bug completionists are their highest priority. Game's about peacocking yo

Himu

It's still stupid.

This isn't a QoL. It's hiding important content behind a wall. What's next? Waiting a week for a fishing pole?

Locking the museum of all things behind content is poor. There's no way you convince me otherwise and bringing up mailing fossils is a complete red herring to me.
IYKYK

Himu

I'm really not sure how you could say Animal Crossing is "about" collecting. They haven't changed or deepened the collection aspects of the game since the series started, and they've only cut down on the types of things that fill out the museum.

If you look at the improvements and changes they have made since the original game, they have largely fallen into two categories
-increasing granularity of cosmetic customization
-increasing speed at which you obtain and/or utilize said customization options, whether that's totally overhauling house decoration or cutting down wait times to nothing

Everything else has been pretty much the same. There's pretty obviously one specific type of player that they're catering to, I doubt fish/bug completionists are their highest priority. Game's about peacocking yo

I don't see how animal crossing isn't about collecting. You have multiple sets of literally everything. Catalogs, drawers and drawers to fit things in, entire enyclopedias full of found items. Fishing pole, shovel, axe, slingshot upgrades are directly tied to gaining and finding new stuff. This is the equivalent of saying Diablo isn't about loot. Being able to fish but not being able to turn it into for recording is asinine.

Even the collecting is tied to the customization because you must collect to customize. People do everything for set completing.

Your post shows a tremendous lack of understanding about animal crossings entire game design philosophy. Everything is tied to collecting and finding new things to add to the pile. It's why shops change out items daily. It's why you go see KK: to get a record. To collect.

IYKYK

Tasty

Gonna wake up tomorrow to my house expansion, the full museum, and Nook's Cranny all built.

Took about five Mystery Tours fwiw. :whew My island is pretty tapped right now. :lol

And no, I didn't time travel... In the meantime of the museum not being built I've been shoving things into my storage. Same with clothes I won't wear (yet?) and furniture I don't want to display.

Unfortunately my giant interview really drained me, plus finishing up everything I wanted to, so can't go online like I thought. :'( Will be available all day tomorrow! Probably have my gates open all day. The rest of y'all should have your Dodo Airlines open tomorrow too. 8)

Tasty

What is the “secret beach?”

A bit of tiny beach on the northern edge of the island, usually inaccessible until you get terraforming and bulldoze your way to access.

Tasty

Mine is exactly as you have recommended against but I’ve gotten good at switching to the vaulting pole quickly lol 

Lol it's cool, would be boring if everyone had the same type of island! I look forward to visiting. :)

james

Why the fuck do downloads take so long on the switch

What happened to animal crossing fitting on a floppy disk

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
Will definitely have some time with open gates tomorrow and come visiting for fruits lol

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
FC: SW-2052-8609-1324

I got cherries.
©@©™

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
Pretty sure I’ve got yinz now

Joe Molotov

• Administrator

Caught bugs and fish and weeded until my batteries ran out. Tomorrow I'll have a house. :money
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
©@©™

Himu

I threw shade.

I fished.

I donated to the Museum through Tom.

I styled on my animals because they're ugly and terrible (I hate them).

I made every tool except the shovel.

Impressions:

- It's fun, in a way.

- They have game-ified Animal Crossing and tossed its prior zen focus into the garbage. In previous Animal Crossing games you get a bill and it's up to you how to pay for it. Maybe you like fishing. Or selling fossils, or fruit. Maybe you have a preference for bug catching. The crux is that the onus is on you the player. Animal Crossing, previously, was about making your own fun and ticking the games boxes in your own way. Now, with the introduction of Nook Miles, you go through lists of things to do. In the past there were badges, which gave you quasi goals to strive for, but they were always in the periphery and not the main meat. In NH you have to fulfill requirements to get points to add to your Nook Miles. It feels like going through a list of things to do. Lists. In Animal Crossing. Disgusting. Eventually I ran into a problem where I barely had 5000 Miles but didn't know what else I could possibly do so I went through list to fulfill goals. This essentially turns Animal Crossing, a game about routine and zen, into a game about checking off boxes.

- Furthermore, so much of it is lazy mobile game tier crap too. Stuff like,"earn points by taking a picture of yourself!" that you would find in some crappy ass free to play mobile "strategy" game where you upgrade a single base and shoot from level 3 to 4. Vapid crap like that. They have essentially listened to the people that bitched for years about how Animal Crossing isn't a "real" game, which is truly baffling. In many ways, it feels more like a warped version of Minecraft than Animal Crossing.

- I like DIY. I also like that tools break easily. It means you'll be using currency in a meaningful manner regularly, it'll also force you to interact with the world more to seek supplies. It definitely makes me want to upgrade my tools to at least silver immediately.

- All these weeds. I like that. I love cleaning my towns and I cleaned up at least 300 weeds today alone. What's cool is that you can sell them for lots of cash. My aspergers and OCD went into full zen mode picking up the weeds. If I saw them and couldn't reach them, I picked em.

- Animal Crossing with vibration yessss.

- I upgraded my tent with the 5000 Nook Miles, sent 5-6 samples to Blathers and now I'm fishing late at night with classic Animal Crossing fun to see what I can get to add to my collection.

- I dislike the island motif already. I miss the post office. I miss the shops. My island is so empty. I know the point is to work your way up, but fuck. It's. So. Empty.

All in all, it was a bad first impression though. In many ways it goes against why I love Animal Crossing in the first place. This game could go either way. This first day didn't fill me with the glee that New Leaf or Wild World did. This game could go City Folk status :trash Time will tell. I can't believe I went in with the bare minimum given that I didn't follow this game at all pre-release, and that I'm still disappointed. I really hope it gets better.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 02:14:05 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Potato

• Senior's Member
The puns are definitely up to the Animal Crossing standard.

:delicious
Spud

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
I'm all for playing it cool and not rushing unlocks.

But waiting for the museum to unlock is literally indefensible.

Animal crossing is ABOUT collecting. The museum is the only building in the game open 24 hours for a REASON.

This is just bad game design. Padding out crucial, basic features is not "chill". It's stupid and slow.

Skip. This is coming from someone that never time travels.

It only takes a single day to get Blathers. You can start donating to him in his tent right away. Museum should be up tomorrow for me.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
I got blathers on the second day   :lol

Iron nugget economy though  :'(

I need to upgrade my pouch or whatever cause i keep running back and forth

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Got apples on my island.

SW-5792-5652-8211
dog

Tasty

It actually does take an extra day for the Museum, I was mistaken. :'( So I have a big under-construction thing right now.

My house expansion and Nook's Cranny went through though! Will be opening my gates soon so y'all can check 'em out. 8)

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
Holy shit there’s a lot to do today lol I have 3 houses to build and furnish!

Himu

Blathers :heart

Tell me about ALL the animals!!!
IYKYK

james

When you build stuff like museums can you move them later or is it permanent

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
Thx for applez, dogmod!

Himu

Blathers is so personable in this. Ever the gentleman. All the other animals on the island are trash, Blathers. Thank you for saving the game. :heart Time to find a way to make these other fuckers leave.
IYKYK

Tasty

I have so much free space now!

Everything looks so good in HD I can't stand it.

Li'l baby coconut trees!! 🥥

<line from Planet of the Apes>

Really having the time of my life. This game has lived up to expectations and then some. I can't wait to play this every day for months-long intervals over the coming years.

Tasty

When you build stuff like museums can you move them later or is it permanent

You can move most buildings including the museum.