Author Topic: ANIMAL CROSSING: NEW HORIZONS - Thread of Gaming Zen  (Read 205127 times)

Tasty

:heartbeat :heart :heartbeat This is everything I've ever fucking wanted and it's on the perfect home/handheld hybrid console. :heartbeat :heart :heartbeat

Tasty

We get both the total immersion of a home console game, playing under a blanket while it rains outside, maybe even meeting up at a friend's town online; AND we get to take the game and play it anywhere we want, whenever we want, to catch up on the more chore-like daily tasks when we have minutes to spare.

This might be the ultimate Animal Crossing if they pull it off right.

AND 👏🏻 THEY 👏🏻 ARE 👏🏻

Tasty

HILLS

THIS GAME HAS CLIFFS AND HILLS

WHICH WERE MISSING IN NEW LEAF ONLY

OMG YES

Himu

omg you can make your own paths?!?!

is she using dirt or clay to do that
IYKYK

Himu

the visual design is incredible.
IYKYK

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Can't wait for Bore Survivor Island
©@©™

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
Yup to this

Tasty

Cindi can you please put these in the OP:

I'm expecting info drops in September, January, and March (right before release.) Gonna be a tough nine months...

Tasty

Then, when it comes to online and local wireless, up to eight players can be on an island. This is doubled from New Leaf’s previous 4-player limit. And though there is a travel theme to New Horizons, Kyogoku confirmed you can’t set up a tent on a friend’s island. However, Kyogoku told IGN you can make up to eight playable accounts on one Nintendo Switch and they will be able to live on the same island. You cannot have multiple islands, however.

4-player single-screen local multplayer + 8-player online. :rejoice

Each Switch account gets its own tent on the island (not an island per account.)

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
This seems pretty bad value at 60 considering its the wane gsme since N64 and Stardew Valley is 10 bucks.

Should be 5 bucks.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
Nice graphics though

Tasty

Some random New Horizons observations based on the E3 demo (may change):

- There still isn't an icon or other marker on items being sold by Nook that you've purchased before/are in your catalogue
- For crafting at least, it does display the quantity of the currently highlighted item, both in your current inventory as well as in your (expansive) "wardrobe"
- Axes, or at least "Flimsy Axes," don't cut down trees but produce various kinds of wood/sticks for crafting -- it's unknown if there's a way to remove trees at all
- Elevated land including hills and cliffs return after being absent in New Leaf
- The "Call an Islander" feature seems specific to those who have local Switch accounts set up, and is the entry point to local co-op (but has nothing to do with online)
- If true, the "Leader" mechanic which allows another player to make changes to your town, may be local-only

Himu

I'll add stuff to the OP soon, Tasty
IYKYK

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
Local multi is rad definitely looking forward to lazy Sundays in bed with the wife with this, coffee and weed

Tasty

New details from IGN!!

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/06/13/how-tom-nook-uses-his-money-and-14-more-details-about-animal-crossing-new-horizons-e3-2019

You’ll start with two or so neighbors in Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Nogami said that when you first arrive on the island through Nook Inc. Deserted Island Getaway Package, you’ll arrive with two or so other random Islanders who chose to participate in the package as well. Nogami said because they invested in this package that they have as much of a right to stay on the island as you do. However, Kyogoku said before they choose a spot for their home, they’ll check with you to see if it’s okay. If you don’t like where they settle down you can tell them you don’t want to build in that particular spot and move their house location to wherever you see fit.

Absolutely fantastic, and not only will increasing the number of villagers on your island over time lead to a stronger sense of progression, but each villager will be progressing on their own alongside you!

Nogami said the elements and buildings of the town we unlock won’t be in the same order as New Leaf's, however.

Makes sense, not sure if there's even separate areas anymore like City, Island, Campground, etc. I kind of hope there aren't separate areas and everything is in one "place" again like AC GC and Wild World.

You'll be able to invite animals to your island in some way in Animal Crossing: New Horizons

In New Leaf, we were able to recruit and invite Villagers to be part of our town. Kyogoku said there would be a system provide an opportunity to invite animals to the island, but not necessarily seek out one of Animal Crossing's many animals.

Hmm, guess importing any villager you want via their Amiibo card/Wisp is out.

Nook Miles are a new currency in Animal Crossing: New Horizons

“Bells are used to, of course, pay off the loan, but I think in previous titles there was some sort of value associated with Bells,” Kyogoku said. “For instance, a very rare beetle could be sold [for a high price] and a lot of players would focus on that and then would maybe, on the other hand, ignore a very common butterfly after donating it to the museum. The value of that has changed with Miles.”

So basically MEOW Coupons from Welcome Amiibo just applied to everything, not a subset of Camp-only items. I actually really loved the MEOW Coupon concept after diving into it (after ignoring it for a while, since I was unnecessarily wary of Welcome Amiibo's changes overall.) The idea that even common butterflies will still be worth catching every time you play is fantastic and solves one of the issues with the core gameplay loop.

* There isn’t a direct connection between New Horizons and Pocket Camp
* You can choose your skin tone in New Horizon
* Kyogoku said New Horizons has one island per single system
* There are no new personality types.
* Isabelle will be in New Horizons, but you’ll have to earn her.
* The Nook Phone will get new apps, like the design feature from New Leaf.
* You can’t set up a tent on a friend’s island.
* Voice chat will likely be done through the Nintendo Switch Online app.
* There are new ways to improve your friendship with Islanders, like gifting them crafted items.
* Islanders can teach you new DIY recipes.

:rejoice

Tasty

The rolling log effect is still there, but this is the closest any game since the GameCube original has gotten to replicating the top-down look. :D

Which is the next best thing to having a GC camera option like I've wanted since Wild World. :heart (I've never cared for the rolling log effect, though tbh if they removed it I might actually miss it...)

Edit- For comparison:

Really studying the differences in New Leaf and New Horizons, the actual horizon has been moved a little further lower from the top of the screen, but the rolling "down" effect at the bottom of the screen is way less pronounced.

Basically in NL, objects at the bottom of the screen would look tilted forward almost 90 degrees when they cross the bottom of the screen. But in NH, they remain much more "flat" as they cross the boundary of the screen. This is far more pleasant, though it really reminds me of City Folk so I may need to do a comparison there as well...
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 11:58:46 AM by Tasty Meat »

Tasty

To better visualize the camera changes I made a diagram.

But first, here is how the world of Animal Crossing is rendered in-game from a top-down view:

The circle and oval represent the world of Animal Crossing when viewed from the side. The red line is the camera boundary, what the player sees.

Basically it seems like the world is deliberately "flatter" towards the bottom of the screen (the right side of the camera viewport) which I think is a very a welcome change.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 12:15:13 PM by Tasty Meat »

Tasty

Tidbits from this video I typed up because I'm a mad person:
  • Almost certainly get to the island by airplane (I was hoping for a Spirited Away-inspired surface-level train tracks myself...)
  • The entire concept of a "Perfect Town" may have been removed, and weeds may no longer be a "negative" impact on your town as they are now a resource.
  • The player's hairstyle demoed in the video is its debut as a "starter" hairstyle; this isn't surprising as it was confirmed recently  that you no longer answer questions from Rover to set your in-game appearance, but instead use some kind of menu before that point.
  • Nook's winter outfit is probably shown hanging up in his tent.
  • The axe is used to extract resources for both trees and rocks; different types of axes may influence what resources are generated.
  • She speculates whether only certain kinds of items may be placeable outside; I would speculate the reverse -- that all items can be placed outdoors, but some of the bigger "public works-y" type items might be outdoor-only.
  • Flowers probably grow over time now, instead of instantly sprouting on the spot.
  • Pole-vaulting is likely needed to traverse rivers, as every island will probably start undeveloped with no bridges.
  • Digging up trees is a first for the series.
  • One of the villagers is spotted sitting down on the ground near a river, which is new behavior (and she speculates about other types of AI interaction enhancements like this.) Previously, villagers could be spotted sitting on benches, but not the ground.
  • Multi-layered towns certainly seem like they're coming back.
  • Villagers were spotted wearing long-sleeved shirts, a first for the series.
  • A villager was spotted wearing a "proper" dress, a first for the series.
  • Players can now create paths, and she speculates about stone and wood paths later down the road.
  • "Harvesting" flowers now leaves the stem, likely allowing the bulb to grow back. Previously, flowers would be plucked wholesale from the ground and could be replanted just as easily.
  • She speculates about whether external house customizations will be making a comeback.
  • They do show a flower wreath on the player's door at one point, and it looks like it was crafted using in-game flowers.
  • Speculation that outdoor fences may have restrictions on their placement, similar to bushes in New Leaf.
  • The other islands at the end of the trailer are speculated to be other islands with other players.
  • Animalese sounds less high pitch in this game.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 11:30:07 PM by Tasty Meat »

Tasty

Seems like they're limiting destructive actions in more areas; "pulling" flowers just plucks the bulb but leaves the stems for them to grow back. I would bet that the shovel can be used for the "old" behavior of plucking the whole thing to transplant elsewhere, making the action consistent between flowers and trees. And consistency makes me happy. :D You've also never been able to transplant entire trees before, just plant fruit/saplings, so that's more player freedom too!

As for chopping, I would imagine that a "Sharp Axe" item or somesuch might have that ability.

Himu

Alright, played NL tonight. I've got golden can, and silver everything else. I'm missing about 20 or so bugs, about half of fish, and half of the ocean animals. Tips on getting to golden everything? I've also never played during winter or fall so maybe that's why I'm missing so many fish and bugs. Also, I just don't have space for anything anymore. Almost all of my cupboard space is taken up and I'm always juggling for more.

I've forgotten a few things. I forgot I had some turnips last time and now they're all rotten. I buried them. Is that good or bad? forgot.
IYKYK

Tasty

For me it's summer bugs and fish I'm missing somehow. :thinking I have like six bushes and I've NEVER SEEN A FUCKING SNAIL WTF

Golden Can was the last golden item I got, was hard keeping the town perfect for so long haha. It's easily my most used item now though!

For the rest:

The Net and Rod are locked behind museum completion.

The Shovel is easy, just purchase 50 fertilizers. The Axe is just as easy, purchase 50 saplings from Leif.

Slingshot is random (but rare) after you shoot 13 balloons, and it's visibly in a golden toolbox.

Tasty

Also Welcome Amiibo added a TON of storage space but you have to opt-in to it. Talk to Nook and it should be a house renovation option.

Tasty

I've only ever fully completed the museum in Wild World, and it's because of that fucker Redd and his inconsistent schedule (plus I guess selling forgeries is morally wrong or whatever, though thanks to the internet that's not really a problem for me personally.) In ACGC (and soon New Leaf) I completed everything but the art exhibits...

But 9 months should be enough time to get the remaining 15 pieces (out of 33) that I'm still missing.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 09:36:24 AM by Tasty Meat »

Himu

Is the island still the best for money? Need to focus on upgrading my house.

I'll look into Welcome Amiibo. I don't care about Amiibo so I figured it was useless to me.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 10:39:13 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Tasty

Welcome Amiibo is to New Leaf what the American GameCube version of the original was to the Japanese N64 version.

Basically it's the same game but with a whole bunch of noticeable upgrades (it's even called out as ACNL 1.5 in the title screen.) Compared to the base game, Welcome Amiibo's changes include:
  • Like a fuckton of items originally exclusive to Happy Home Designer were added.
  • A campground area will be added outside the town (similar to walking to the city area.) For me the walkway to the campground is in the upper left of my town and goes through what was previously sheer cliffside.
  • The campground features one new villager inside their own camper per day, and even "special" characters like KK, Jingle, and Isabelle will show up with their own campers full of their own items. If someone like Nook or Isabelle is at camp, they'll be absent from their in-game positions (meaning if Isabelle was camping, then updating the town tune would have to wait until the next day.)
  • You can manually "set" which villager visits the campground by scanning their Amiibo or Amiibo card, otherwise it will be random.
  • You can freely order any item inside campers using MEOW Coupons only (not bells; see below.)
  • You earn MEOW Coupons by completing daily and weekly town initiatives like "Water ten flowers today."
  • The new CAT Machine in front of Town Hall dispenses your MEOW Coupons once you complete a town initiative (see below.)
  • Town initiatives are a new "tab" on the "Player" menu screen (where your birthday, game start, etc. are shown.) It's the first tab, making it the new default screen for that menu.
  • "Secret Storage" is a new house upgrade option purchaseable from Tom Nook for 158,000 bells; it adds 360 additional item slots, on top of the 240 item slots in the base game, for a total of 600 item storage slots. Secret Storage is inaccessible when visiting other players' towns though (and can only be accessed from your house; the cupboard in the train station does not "connect" to it, and neither will the wardrobes in your house, it's kind of its own thing.)
  • Purchasing Secret Storage will unlock touch-screen furniture management in your house.
  • The Genie Lamp item will summon Wisp, who will let you force any villager to move to your town using their corresponding Amiibo card -- if your town is full he'll ask you to kick someone out. You can only do this once a day.
  • The Nintendo 3DS and Wii U items have been upgraded, and are the only way to access the newly added minigames Puzzle League and Desert Island Escape (similar to the NES items in ACGC.)
  • You can now sit on rocks.
  • You can now interact with trees, villagers, etc. even when holding a tool like a bug net.
  • 50 villagers from past Animal Crossing games, previously absent from New Leaf, were added back.
Basically a ton of new content and QoL enhancements. I ignore the campground and Amiibo stuff for the most part, but I do try to complete the Town Initiatives when I can (or I'm looking for something to do.) Half the time I complete an initiative without even realizing it though, until I walk by the CAT Machine next to town hall and see it glowing. :lol
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 12:03:21 PM by Tasty Meat »

Tasty

More notes from this amazing YouTuber:
  • Wind speed is confirmed to be variable, and will ruffle tree leaves softer or harder depending on the weather, a first for the series.
  • You can set your house on the beach for the first time in the series.
  • You can likely move villagers on your island for the first time in the series, at least while their houses are tents. (I believe a developer confirmed this in an interview.)
  • Something I noticed: there's a red "badge" on the Nook Miles app icon in the NookPhone, which is a nice convenience feature to carry over from real smartphones.
  • Two theories on the small island size: it's either an E3 demo-specific island, or there will be ways to expand it later.
  • Graphically, fruit looks like it's just floating on top of the tree... still better than the 2D sprites used until New Leaf, but hopefully this gets tightened up before release.
  • A villager is spotted carrying the crafting item wood, and she speculates whether this means villagers will be crafting their own items for their own houses or if it's just "set dressing" like villagers having nets and fishing poles in New Leaf.
  • The "medicine" item makes a purchaseable appearance, which is interesting as the Welcome Amiibo update removed the ability for villagers to get sick and need medicine. But it could still be strictly for treating the player's bee wounds, however.
  • The watering can is strangely much more expensive than the fishing rod and bug net.
  • Saplings and flowers are more expensive bells-wise than past games.
  • Nook Miles seem like the successor to MEOW Coupons (as I said.)
  • The "Follow the Leader" mechanic is the biggest step towards making Animal Crossing co-op in the series to-date.
  • The "Emote Wheel" which triggers expressions like the ones taught to you by Dr. Shrunk in New Leaf is speculated to be demo-only, or at least the player will start with a lower amount.
  • You can dig up clams on the beach to craft fish bait.
  • You can learn crafting recipes from villagers, which is a great reward for leveling up your friendship. Similar to new works projects in New Leaf.
  • My speculation: grumpy villagers might have one set of recipes they can teach, chipper villagers another, etc.
  • Isabelle will return as "a support for new residents" after you pay off your tent and house to a certain extent.
  • Players are seen carrying bags and backpacks at the end of the trailer; this is speculated to possibly allow on-person inventory expansion, but personally I'm not sure if anyone should get their hopes up for that.
  • Finally, Timmy (or Tommy) is holding a flag at the start of the demo, BUT WHY?!?!?

Himu

I can't get over her cute yellow boots in this pic.

They're so fucking adorable.
IYKYK

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
Saw something about this having no cloud saves. So when I want to update to a new Switch in a year or two I have to use their draconian save transfer method?
itm

Himu

If you buy it digital, I’m assuming yes. No idea how saves work on switch. But in the past the save data for cart games was on the cart and I see no reason why this would be different on switch.
IYKYK

Himu

Man, I don't like my town anymore, or my house. I want to redo EVERYTHING. I have too many trees. My native fruit is pear and I have wayyyy too pear trees and fruit trees in general. It's a bitch to navigate. A lot of my perfect pear trees are now dead. I got some fertilizer in the mail and I planted one next to a dead tree. I want to chop some trees down but I'm worried it will lower my town ranking. I'm used to have a perfect town with ease but I no longer want to keep track of all of this. idk what to do.

Also I have to relearn the entire game now despite dumping 200-300 hours into it. I forgot the timing for fishing up sharks for instance and keep missing opportunities.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 01:46:21 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Tasty

If you buy it digital, I’m assuming yes. No idea how saves work on switch. But in the past the save data for cart games was on the cart and I see no reason why this would be different on switch.

Switch carts are read-only. All saves are on console.

Tasty

Saw something about this having no cloud saves. So when I want to update to a new Switch in a year or two I have to use their draconian save transfer method?

Yes. It sucks.

Tasty

Also Cindi right there with you, almost all my rooms are empty because I decided to redo them months ago but still finding them motivation to decide on what to get...

Himu

I still have the fundamentals though. I remember catching sharks by closing my eyes and listening. I’ve been doing that and caught two hammerheads but lost the others.

Switch carts are read-only. All saves are on console.

To prevent hacking?
IYKYK

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
I like that they are read only, makes sharing physical games easy with saves being on the console

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Tasty

To prevent hacking?

I think writable physical media is just more expensive to produce and more prone to failing over time.

Himu

Andy check your stalk market for me this week please. I've invested heavily in some turnips and don't want it to go to waste. I'll be checking for you too. Right now my turnip prices are selling 94 bells. No hint of a trend.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 03:27:51 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Tasty

Tidbits from a French interview with lead developers Aya Kyogoku and Higashi Nogami
  • Four-player single-screen gameplay is something they wanted to originally have in the original Dobutsu no Mori (N64), and now it's finally debuting in New Horizons almost 19 years later
  • Amiibo compatibility (cards and figures) has been confirmed
  • Weekly KK Slider concerts have been confirmed
  • Nogami and Kyogoku watched the E3 Direct reaction video of Nintendo New York (formerly Nintendo World) and were "very touched and happy"
  • No in-game weddings (ed. note: people wanted this??) as players can use the variety of costumes and their imaginations (ed. note: good)

Himu

Girls will finally get lots of and lots of jeans options. :tocry
IYKYK

Himu

Also today I lost my save because I had to open up something in my 3ds and forgot about it. I didn't save all day.

I welcome the autosave change.
IYKYK

Tasty

Also today I lost my save because I had to open up something in my 3ds and forgot about it. I didn't save all day.

I welcome the autosave change.

Damn.

Yeah that's caught me a few times in the last year. I'm neutral on autosave though. Gonna miss Resetti yelling at me but I suppose that ship was already leaving port all the way back in Wild World...

Tasty

There's definitely bigger and more serious concerns out there, and I usually don't do petitions as they're a waste of time, but hey who knows.

Petition: "Ask Nintendo to allow Backup Game Saves in Animal Crossing: New Horizons"

Himu

I’m sure they will. You can transfer the digital ACNL save to ACNL physical through official channels and not homebrew.
IYKYK

Tasty

Switch does not have a save management system (outside of deletion.) Certain games support Cloud Saves -- a paid feature as part of Nintendo Switch Online. Otherwise, if you damage or lose your system, you're fucked.

Additionally, games can opt out of supporting Cloud Saves, and frequently do if they have a significant online component (ex. Splatoon 2 and Pokemon Let's Go) in order to prevent "cheating." This is the current reasoning on why Animal Crossing: New Horizons will not support Cloud Saves.

I signed the petition because I disagree; there is literally no save file as important as the one for Animal Crossing to an Animal Crossing player.

Tasty

Tasty

The snow :o

Tasty

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
Hi

Tasty

I think the expectation is system transfers will launch when the new model does.

Bebpo

I've never played an animal crossing game but I like KK Slider's songs on Smash so I'll give this one a try for you guys when it comes out.

I don't understand anything about Tasty's posts on this page.

Tasty

I don't understand anything about Tasty's posts on this page.

:lol It may seem overwhelming but Animal Crossing is super easy going, I'm sure you'll have a good time especially if the online is good and The Bore Gang™ get back together. :rejoice

Would be cool if everyone kept playing for more than a month this time though. Like 6-8 months so everyone can enjoy some winter time together. :heart