Author Topic: Sony Playstation Classic  (Read 24363 times)

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
Sony Playstation Classic
« on: September 19, 2018, 05:25:56 AM »

FF7

Wild Arms

Tekken 3

Ridge Racer Type 4

Jumping Flash

Revealed so far as games available.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 01:02:32 PM by bork »

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
Re: Sony Playstation Classic
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 05:46:54 AM »
No analogue sticks? Sony pls.

paprikastaude

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 06:13:52 AM »
Only 20 games in the og selection? :hhh 15 spots left and even if I boil it down to the absolute basics, I would already need to give 5 spots to games by Capcom, Konami and Squaresoft each. And one spot for JRPGs is already taken by Wild Arms of all games? That final selection will be a mess.

Also no analogue sticks, come one now.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 06:28:57 AM »
One thing that interests me is what they're doing in terms of graphics options.

I expect a CRT filter and at least bilinear texture filtering like the PS2 could do, but what else? Are they going to do perspective correction so the textures don't warp? Increase rendering resolution? Anti-aliasing? 🤔

paprikastaude

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 06:31:59 AM »
The cartoon filter that looks awful for 2D games works much better for prerendered backgrounds. I've seen some "impressive" screens of RE2 with it somewhere.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 06:39:36 AM »
Let me play the damn games on the PS4 you piece of shit company.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 07:17:03 AM »
I love me some Playstation, but this isn't as exciting an announcement as the NES Classic was.  I dunno.  Need to see what the other games are first, I guess. 

One thing that interests me is what they're doing in terms of graphics options.

I expect a CRT filter and at least bilinear texture filtering like the PS2 could do, but what else? Are they going to do perspective correction so the textures don't warp? Increase rendering resolution? Anti-aliasing? 🤔

I don't expect any filters.  :doge
ど助平

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2018, 07:32:42 AM »
45% smaller.

"Go on..."

Virtual Discs.

"Ok, I'm out."

What's the damn point if it's not going to be able to run my discs? HDMI output is nice, controller "replicas" is nice. But if it can't use my controllers from the original, why would I use it over my phone/etc. that is able to emulate?

Seems like it's trying to copy the NES, but like the NES it's worthless for those of us that just use a Raspberry Pi/et. al. for ROMs.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2018, 07:33:43 AM »
ePSXe FTW

That program works like crap for me. I tried SOTN because I dont like the XBO port that much, and wanted to play the psx original.

But I get slowdown all the time and it seems unresponsive. I tried PPSSPP and just used the Dracula X rondo game to get to SOTN unlock instead. But that version Alucard sounds like a little bitch..what the hell did they do to his voice?
What

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2018, 07:37:12 AM »
Removed RGT vid because he's a tool

I'm already standing in line
fat

paprikastaude

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2018, 07:37:46 AM »
I didn't even think about how this probably means them continuing to be complete bitches about BC. Hopes for PS5 decreasing.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 07:45:30 AM by Spieler1 »

MMaRsu

• Administrator
Re: Sony Playstation Classic ($100, 20 games, 2 controllers, December 3)
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2018, 07:40:49 AM »
I would assume PS5 is at least BC with PS4, but anything before that you're gonna be shit outta luck
What

Svejk

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2018, 07:43:45 AM »
If they announced Alundra and SotN... I'd bite.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2018, 07:44:08 AM »
fat

paprikastaude

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2018, 07:46:43 AM »
It only happens when a product is losing. :fbm

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2018, 08:00:49 AM »
If they announced Alundra and SotN... I'd bite.

SoTN I can see.  Alundra seems doubtful.  But if I want to play SoTN, I'd rather get the SoTN/Rondo collection that Konami is going to be releasing for PS4 instead so I can play the game at 1080P (and hopefully 4K).
ど助平

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
fat

BisMarckie

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2018, 08:18:54 AM »
ePSXe FTW

ePSXe is trash, Beetle is a libretto(retroarch) core that is much better.

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2018, 08:20:49 AM »

No Ape Escape then  :goty2
itm

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2018, 08:24:36 AM »

They're not even including an AC adapter.

:cmonson

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2018, 09:08:21 AM »
I like it, but also still have all those games (a lot I probably double dipped digitally as well I would guess) so not super interested. These mini systems are neatish, but would much rather if they just threw emus on the current systems.

All that said I am probably getting one of these for xmas, I see it now.  :goty

Svejk

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2018, 09:23:25 AM »
Let's get down to brass tax here...  How hackable is it? 

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2018, 09:27:28 AM »

Can't believe Sony didn't give us those details!  :doge  :P
ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2018, 09:35:22 AM »
yep. i can almost excuse nintendo for not just releasing their games on the console cause they are idiots when it comes to online/digital anything but sony should just let me play the games i already bought years ago on ps3

paprikastaude

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2018, 09:39:11 AM »
yep. i can almost excuse nintendo for not just releasing their games on the console cause they are idiots when it comes to online/digital anything but sony should just let me play the games i already bought years ago on ps3

Also different game formats, so whatever. But Sony's entire history is disc based, so let me just pop my fucking games in and play. I'm currently using my PS3 for PS1 games, which is I guess still okay. But it's going to be annoying going another generation forward without the ability to use a PS emulator that costs them nothing.

Himu

« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2018, 09:58:01 AM »
The lack of analog sticks is baffling. Did they forget psx had analog sticks? So no Ape Escpae?

Also these clips look like shit.  NES and SNES classic look amazing on hdmi. They didn’t smooth out anything?! Also Wild Arms? Lmao. And 100 dollars?

Psx is one of my favorite systems but this a pass for me. That box does get me nostalgic tho. Ps2 classic WHEN.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2018, 09:59:13 AM »

Also different game formats, so whatever. But Sony's entire history is disc based, so let me just pop my fucking games in and play. I'm currently using my PS3 for PS1 games, which is I guess still okay. But it's going to be annoying going another generation forward without the ability to use a PS emulator that costs them nothing.

Yeah I have to have a ps3 hooked up for ps1 games and it’s ridiculous because I hate turning the thing on.
IYKYK

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2018, 11:34:51 AM »
They probably stuck a PSTV in a Playstation shell and that's probably as far as they went. If you guys don't remember what the PSTV was, it's basically a Vita for home. Can play digital PS1 games, PSP games, Vita games.

OH!

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2018, 11:46:45 AM »
no analog sucks means no mgs means lol. ps1 biggest years were after the dualshock so wtf?
pcp

Himu

« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2018, 11:51:29 AM »
Yes and mgs used dpad too
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2018, 12:29:25 PM »
ah right I forgot it wasn't required, just added a lot of extra bonuses
pcp

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2018, 05:31:14 PM »
Amazon link, just pre-ordered here as well as Best Buy

https://amzn.to/2MLPpFq
fat

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2018, 06:22:11 PM »
I read this is in limited supply.

Sony stealing Nintendo's innovations again!
🤴

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2018, 06:44:41 PM »
Depends on what hardware they're using. Old, flush Sony would have been crazy enough to recreate the entire thing as an SoC. One can dream.

They probably stuck a PSTV in a Playstation shell and that's probably as far as they went. If you guys don't remember what the PSTV was, it's basically a Vita for home. Can play digital PS1 games, PSP games, Vita games.
Or that!

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2018, 08:06:41 PM »

The PSTV can do 1080i, though... :thinking
ど助平

Rahxephon91

« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2018, 08:40:58 PM »
I already have a PS3.

I think only a mini PS2 would really get me excited for nostalgia.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2018, 05:21:55 AM »
Are they going to do perspective correction so the textures don't warp?
This is the one thing you can't do with PS1 games if you're using the original game, you have to change the math in the GTE-related code. When you're emulating it you can't just fix it because you'd have to fix every single vertices and know how wrong they are and what the frame is supposed to look like so as how to fix them.

One bad thing about that generation is how ugly everything is when you draw it at higher resolutions due to the various quirks like this. And there's no fixing it for any of the platforms.

benjipwns

« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2018, 05:29:38 AM »
will it have a screen?

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2018, 07:13:10 AM »
Nintendo shits out a nes mini and people go apeshit

Now you people complain

Psx had analog sticks laaaate into its life, those golden years were analogless, I never had analogs for my psx

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2018, 09:00:52 AM »
Are they going to do perspective correction so the textures don't warp?
This is the one thing you can't do with PS1 games if you're using the original game, you have to change the math in the GTE-related code. When you're emulating it you can't just fix it because you'd have to fix every single vertices and know how wrong they are and what the frame is supposed to look like so as how to fix them.

One bad thing about that generation is how ugly everything is when you draw it at higher resolutions due to the various quirks like this. And there's no fixing it for any of the platforms.
There is PGXP (also available in libretro's beetle-psx-hw):
https://www.ngemu.com/threads/pcsxr-pgxp.186369/

It can work wonders, but it's not perfect:

Even better comparison:

« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 09:12:03 AM by Rufus »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2018, 09:43:05 AM »
Psx had analog sticks laaaate into its life, those golden years were analogless, I never had analogs for my psx

The PS1 came out in Japan at the end of '94.  Released in the rest of the world in Fall '95.  The first dual analog controller (didn't have rumble) was shown in 1996 and came out in April 1997.  Not exactly late in its life.  Then there were other games, like R4, announced for this thing, that had their own controllers made for analog control.  Tekken 3 had a dual shock controller bundle when it first came out in Japan.  It was a big thing. 
:ufup :expert

It's also just fucking stupid to not have dual analog controllers -it stops some games from playing as well as could have- and it means some games won't be included like Ape Escape. 

Now watch Sony try to cash in on this by selling dual shocks for it separately.  :doge
ど助平

benjipwns

« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2018, 09:53:24 AM »
There is PGXP (also available in libretro's beetle-psx-hw):
https://www.ngemu.com/threads/pcsxr-pgxp.186369/
well, i'll be, i knew emulators were correcting the texture placement from affline some time ago, but they couldn't stop the "swimming" without tons of errors, but that is pretty fancy, the TR one especially

very cool to take the vertex data, skip emulating the GTE and just send it to the GPU since they now have unlimited power and draw with that

All the triangles are being transformed but the low precision results in many vertices of small triangles getting the same position. This causes those triangles to collapse into lines or points, becoming degenerate, with an area of zero.
You can see this happening in the image where groups of small triangles form simple squares, two or three triangles stretch as their vertices snap to the same few points while other triangles disappear altogether.

The PlayStation's GTE has a function to cull these degenerate triangles called NCLIP which also removes triangles that are facing away from the viewer (back-face culling). As PGXP calculates and stores vertices in high precision the implicit simplification doesn't happen but the default NCLIP behaviour still results in small triangles, that would have become degenerate, being culled. This is because the emulated game expects a low precision integer value which will be truncated to 0 for many small triangles.

To solve this PGXP calculates its own NCLIP result in high precision and then intentionally skews the results so that values that would become 0 are now rounded up to 1 or -1 before passing it back to the emulator. So technically, rather than creating more triangles from a mesh, it is preserving existing triangles that would otherwise be simplified out.
There are two main reasons for the jitter seen on PS1 games:

Lack of floating point support on any of the PS1 hardware, meaning vertex positions are stored and modified using fixed point values and arithmetic. The resulting lack of precision causes 3D geometry to jitter and distort as vertices visibly snap between positions instead of moving smoothly.
    Lack of perspective correct texturing, which requires vertices to have a valid W component, meaning all textures use affine sampling. This causes textures on 3D models to become increasingly warped as primitives stretch into the distance.

When a game was developed for the PlayStation there would be no floating point values or operations in the code at all, meaning that if the developer wanted to add support in the PC port (or Dreamcast, N64, etc.) they'd need to rewrite all the fixed point arithmetic and values as floating point. If they didn't then the port would suffer the exact same graphical issues as the PS1 version. The developers who ported MGS, Tomb Raider, FF7 and similar games obviously did this, and also added support for full 3D geometry with depth and perspective correction.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 09:58:39 AM by benjipwns »

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2018, 11:50:22 AM »
I am kind of interested in what other games they throw on there.

Generally pessimistic, my bet is on first party trash like Syphon Filter, Jet Moto, Legend of Dragoon, etc. Would like to be wrong tho, there is so much potential.

Svejk

« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2018, 01:16:47 PM »
So.... have they not revealed all 20 games yet??  Are they being serious?  LOL at whomever pre-ordered this not knowing, if so.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2018, 01:38:10 PM »
Why LOL? The 5 games they showed already are worth the price of admission. Rest is bonus
fat

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2018, 03:44:21 PM »
Couldn’t give less of a fuck about PSX but would totally bite for as PS2 version as I was a whiny gamecube stan and never got to play katamari

Svejk

« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2018, 03:56:59 PM »
Why LOL? The 5 games they showed already are worth the price of admission. Rest is bonus
Even if they were Mary-Kate & Ashley: Magical Mystery Mall, Star Wars: Masters Of Teräs Käsi, The Crow: City Of Angels, Mortal Kombat: Special Forces, Barbie: Explorer and Bubsy 3D amongst other choicest of nugz?   :doge  Just saying, it's stupid that they have to be so cryptic about the remaining 75% of the games it's supposedly coming with.  Only pseudo-justifiable reason would be for licensing issues...  if so, it should've been delayed until confirmed. 

Tasty

« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2018, 04:18:42 PM »
Couldn’t give less of a fuck about PSX but would totally bite for as PS2 version as I was a whiny gamecube stan and never got to play katamari

Better version of Katamari is coming to Switch soon. :)

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2018, 08:11:27 AM »
fat

Tuckers Law

« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2018, 09:05:10 AM »
Looks like a complete waste of money for me, I already have a Vita and PS TV.

That's a no for me, Sony (unless you include some gems not available on PSN already, like Brave Fencer Musashi and Einhander).

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2018, 11:48:56 AM »
The lack of analog sticks is baffling. Did they forget psx had analog sticks? So no Ape Escpae?

Also these clips look like shit.  NES and SNES classic look amazing on hdmi. They didn’t smooth out anything?! Also Wild Arms? Lmao. And 100 dollars?

Psx is one of my favorite systems but this a pass for me. That box does get me nostalgic tho. Ps2 classic WHEN.

There just weren't that many games which supported the first analog controller. You're looking at adding a tremendous cost of goods for a control scheme that they can literally plan their library around.

Coax

« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2018, 08:18:25 AM »
Full game list reveal.

Credit to jad7845 on Reddit for posting the text version:

Grand Theft Auto

Battle Arena Toshinden

Ridge Racer Type 4

Mr Driller

Metal Gear Solid

Twisted Metal

Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee

Syphon Filter

Rayman

Tekken 3

Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six

Wild Arms

Jumping Flash!

Cool Boarders 2

Final Fantasy VII

Destruction Derby

Revelations: Persona

Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo

Intelligent Qube

Resident Evil Director’s Cut

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2018, 08:25:42 AM »
Persona wasn't on my radar at all, but I guess the newer games being successful earned it the spot.

Would have preferred Kula World over Intelligent Qube and Abe's Exoddus over Abe's Oddysee, but it's a decent list overall.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2018, 08:43:12 AM »
Good solid list. Persona is a huge surprise but LOL its so obtuse with its bad translation rip
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2018, 08:43:39 AM »
The Japanese list is WAY better

Arc the Lad
Arc the Lad 2
Armored Core
Ridge Racer Type 4
Intelligent Qube
Gradius Gaiden
XI [sái]
SaGa Frontier
G Darius
Jumping Flash
Super Puzzle Fighter IIX
Tekken 3
Toshinden
Biohazard (RE1) Director's Cut
Parasite Eve
Final Fantasy VII International
Mr. Driller
Persona 1
Metal Gear Solid
Wild Arms
fat

Nabbis

• oops
« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2018, 08:52:51 AM »
For some reason the first playstation always looked like a Japanese tech toilet to me... So ugly.

benjipwns

« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2018, 08:53:18 AM »
Grand Theft Auto
Battle Arena Toshinden
Ridge Racer Type 4
Mr Driller
Metal Gear Solid
Twisted Metal
Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee
Syphon Filter
Rayman
Tekken 3
Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six
Wild Arms
Jumping Flash!
Cool Boarders 2
Final Fantasy VII
Destruction Derby
Revelations: Persona
Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
Intelligent Qube
Resident Evil Director’s Cut
how about you go ahead and take that garbage Rainbow Six In Name Only mess off there and put Twisted Metal 2, you know, the classic one, on there

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2018, 08:54:34 AM »
Lineup is the same as the shit I see on CraigsList. All common games and that ONE hard to find game (Persona) hoping you'll buy it all in one swoop
fat

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2018, 10:16:10 AM »
That NA line up is pretty damn lame. Where's Syphon Filter? Front Mission 3? Tony Hawk pro Skater 2? Vagrant Story?!

The PS1 has a really fucking good library and of course Sony shits the bed gathering any of them together.

Syphon Filter is there, my bad, eyes are crusty. Point still stands. Rainbow Six should get kicked the fuck out.
OH!