Author Topic: Retro Thread for old gamers  (Read 88453 times)

Himu

Retro Thread for old gamers
« on: October 18, 2018, 03:34:33 PM »
This is a thread dedicated to old games. Especially if you’re sick of games that are bloated, 100 hours too long, handhold, and are just all around trash.

Old depends on the person. Personally for me it ranges by system. So I’m only going to be talking about games made in the arcade (1979) to ds generation (2011/2012 or so).

Once I’m done snoring my way through DQ11 I’ll be going back to Earthbound which unlike DQ11 Is an actually good Dragon Quest game.

System that interest me and I will be playing:

Arcade
Nes
Snes
Saturn
Dreamcast
Ps1
N64
Ps2
Xbox
Gb
Gba
Ds

« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 08:50:13 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
Re: Modern Games Are Trash - Retro Thread for old gamers
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 04:07:42 PM »
MODERN GAMES ARE TRASH

*references a game that's basically a reskin of a game from 1995*
◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 04:11:54 PM »
◕‿◕

Himu

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 05:24:37 PM »
MODERN GAMES ARE TRASH

I mention DQ11 because I obviously think it’s an example of trash modern gaming. And DQ has been gained by modern features. It’s your run of the mill jrpg now.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 05:31:29 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 05:28:01 PM »
Here’s my game list for the time being:

Finish Earthbound
Super Mario RPG. Never played it.
Ocarina of Time 3d which I’ve never played. Does that have Master Quest on it and how do you access it?

I’ve tried Super Ghouls n Ghosts annnnnd I think the game sucks. It’s slow which unlike the original arcade Ghosts n Goblins, and the game has brutal slow down. Is it even worth the effort?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 05:32:45 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 05:47:45 PM »
Once I’m done snoring my way through DQ11 I’ll be going back to Earthbound which unlike DQ11 Is an actually good Dragon Quest game.

Oh, are you back to disliking DQ11 again?  I can't keep up.

Just drop it if it sucks and get back to what you want to play.  I don't understand playing through stuff that you think is boring.
ど助平

paprikastaude

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2018, 06:05:58 PM »
2017-2019 is the best gaming in like a decade. Yearly AAA fodder is still junk, but the difference is that it's easily ignorable now. Still I'm constantly playing tons of old games too and pseudo-casuals who can't articulate criticism beyond "aged poorly" in old games talk can suck it. :trumps I'm especially catching up on stuff that wasn't out in EU back in the day on SNES and PS1. Got into (unhacked) SNES Mini these last days again, feels good to be reminded of what a GOAT Nintendo console was like. Only Secret of Mana and Mario Kart are kind of crappy, haven't played Earthbound yet (but I'm not a fan of coming-of-age, so I'm not sure when I'll get to it).
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 06:10:09 PM by Spieler1 »

naff

Retro Thread for old gamers
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2018, 06:30:35 PM »
MODERN GAMES ARE TRASH

I mention DQ11 because I obviously think it’s an example of trash modern gaming. And DQ has been gained by modern features. It’s your run of the mill jrpg now.

rosetintedglasses.gif

there's always been a lot of trash in amongst the gems. why taint a fun retro gaming thread with such a flawed premise?
◕‿◕

Himu

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2018, 07:08:44 PM »
I don’t really care. I put in a single line about finishing Dragon Quest XI and there’s the line in the op.

I think they’re trash. Deal with it and make your own modern gaming knob slobber game. Hopefully it will hold your hand so it tells you where its penis is.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2018, 07:38:21 PM »
That said, agreed with Spieler on fuck the "retro games haven't aged well" crowd. That exact phrase is thrown around without meaning, it and "innovation" mean absolutely jackshit when coming from gamer gits.

Saying that "retro games haven't aged well" is too broad to have any real meaning anyway. 

Some types of games and platforms have games that have aged better than others.  A lot of the sprite-based games have held up a hell of a lot better than the earlier polygon games have for obvious reasons.  I like to go back and play a lot of 8 and 16-bit stuff, but when we get to 32-bit, that's where there's some games that just don't quite run all that well and were way more acceptable back then than they are now. 

But emulation can definitely help here and give the games a cleaner look and/or smoother framerates.
ど助平

naff

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2018, 07:40:47 PM »
Whatever. Anyway. I been enjoying these old Interactive Entertainment reviews

Always wanted to play this but never picked it up, would love to see a gog release though I've heard it works fairly well in vanilla dosbox.

Say what you will of Ultima VIII being the downfall of the series, but this had a really fun sandbox; as a kid me and my friends didn't really progress the story much(tho i tried, and i actually got most of the way through I had no idea and thought I had miles to go still 'til i watched a walkthrough later), just played it like a roguelike seeing who could steal the most the fastest before getting caught and murdered. Played it a little while ago through Origin. The story and atmosphere are still great, and it has a really great interactive environment. I love the animation too (same engine used for the Crusader series). The slowdown didn't affect me much by the time i first played this (1996).
◕‿◕

Himu

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2018, 07:50:18 PM »
I’m going to sell DQ11. Continuing Earthbound tonight. It’s a shame that the jrpg ride is over. I stuck with the genre for twenty one years. DQ11 will be the last jrpg I buy. I’m not buying anymore unless it’s a remake or an old game or something people say doesn’t treat you like a poverty gamer like Fire Emblem. Once upon a time it was my favorite genre but it has lost its way. I’m really sad about it because it’s a genre I’ve poured so much into. I learned Japanese just to play DQ7 3ds. This was a genre I loved and I can’t stand modern jrpgs. At all. At least I can use the Japanese as an investment to play jrpgs I missed out on.

Anyways, I’m currently in the beach city in Earthbound. I really like the game. It takes the Dragon Quest formula to a nice degree. I still haven’t gotten Poo yet which is pretty shocking.

Once I get a new computer I’ll be doing arcade one credit runs and upload to YouTube. :)
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2018, 07:54:15 PM »
Whatever. Anyway. I been enjoying these old Interactive Entertainment reviews

Always wanted to play this but never picked it up, would love to see a gog release though I've heard it works fairly well in vanilla dosbox.

Say what you will of Ultima VIII being the downfall of the series, but this had a really fun sandbox; as a kid me and my friends didn't really progress the story much(tho i tried, and i actually got most of the way through I had no idea and thought I had miles to go still 'til i watched a walkthrough later), just played it like a roguelike seeing who could steal the most the fastest before getting caught and murdered. Played it a little while ago through Origin. The story and atmosphere are still great, and it has a really great interactive environment. I love the animation too (same engine used for the Crusader series). The slowdown didn't affect me much by the time i first played this (1996).

I’ve never played an Ultima besides III I think. I was very confused. I’ve wanted to give Ultima VI or VII a shot.

Are these games long?
IYKYK

naff

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2018, 09:00:02 PM »
Ultima VII is well worth a play imo. It's pretty gripping from the outset. You'll know after the first few hours whether it's going to be your jam or not.
◕‿◕

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2018, 09:51:55 PM »
Cindi, I forget, have you played Octopath? Just about to finish it and I really liked it, apart from some repetition, it seemed to have a lot going for it that's missing in modern day RPGs:

-no poorly-explained, over complicated "systems", apart from a straightforward job system and a battle system where you can store up attacks to let loose all at once
-has some basic fetch-questy sidequests but they too don't bog down the game, nor will you miss out on much for not doing them
-has some really challenging main bosses which really require you to exploit weaknesses and shift your strategies mid-battle. Definitely one of the most difficult RPGs I've played in a long while.
-has some optional dungeons and a pretty open storyline
-great music and pixel art
-it's still long af, but fast paced and you actually feel like you're getting stuff done in a short play session (unlike a modern RPG where it feels like it takes 2 hours just to explore a town and receive the next quest and trigger a million cinema scenes padded with unnecessary filler text).

Anyways back to classic gaming... I picked up Ninja-kun and Ninja Jajamaru-kun from the local game shop. Surprised he had Famicom games in there (there was also some other game in the pile which was some weird HK pirate of Batman NES, with a changed stage 1 song and a terrible framerate). Will have to play and report back, I know the Ninja-kun series was quite popular back in the day.

And also in retro news, the SNES port of Tenshi no Uta got a fan translation. I own the PCE CD game, not sure how much it differs from the SNES version aside from not looking nearly as good.
http://www.romhacking.net/translations/822/
^_^

Himu

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2018, 10:00:28 PM »
Don’t have a Switch. No Octopath. I’m out of gas, tiesto. You know how much I love DQ. For me to not like DQ? I’m beat.

Tell me about Tenshi no Uta.

An HK rip off of Batman nes? I’m so sorry. I love Batman nes so much. One problem I’ve had with buying retro games is getting legit copies and not bootleg repros.
IYKYK

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2018, 09:19:44 AM »
Super Mario RPG is super great through my nostalgia glasses, will be interest to read how it goes for someone who never played it

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2018, 09:57:35 AM »
How can you be done with modern games when RDR 2 is just around the corner. :(

What about the shrinking horseballs?

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2018, 10:22:44 AM »
Thoughts like this are probably why the retro market has been jumping up on older platforms.

And I appreciate you for that, I need something to sell off for rent money eventually
fat

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2018, 11:20:53 AM »
I'm all about this thread. But being like DQXI sucks! Let's talk about retro games! Is a bit :confused

I mean XI is like a reskinning of decades old games.
que

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2018, 11:36:30 AM »
I'm all about this thread. But being like DQXI sucks! Let's talk about retro games! Is a bit :confused

The title of this thread is pretty insulting to ANY person that's working on games, or anyone that follows this hobby seriously.

OH!

archie4208

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2018, 11:58:15 AM »
Ironically, I've been replaying FF6 and I think it doesn't hold up nearly as much as my nostalgia told me it would.  I think contemporary JRPGs like Persona 5 and DQ11 are just plain better in terms of both mechanics and writing/characterization. 

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2018, 12:14:19 PM »
No, its definitely a FF6 thing. That game has like a bajllion characters to babysit versus DQ11 and P5's simple cast.
fat

Himu

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2018, 01:52:04 PM »
Ironically, I've been replaying FF6 and I think it doesn't hold up nearly as much as my nostalgia told me it would.  I think contemporary JRPGs like Persona 5 and DQ11 are just plain better in terms of both mechanics and writing/characterization.

I played FFVI again this year and loved it more than ever. There are flaws but eh. No game is perfect besides RE4. Even Mario Galaxy has waggle in it. Modern jrpgs sacrifice too much by focusing on story. They all want to tell their story and they want you to like it and this makes them drag hard. They have an insane amount of handholding and poor pacing. I’m surprised you haven’t noticed it or maybe it doesn’t bother you. Imo ps2 was the climax for the genre.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2018, 01:53:17 PM »

The title of this thread is pretty insulting to ANY person that's working on games, or anyone that follows this hobby seriously.

:idont

Their problem.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2018, 01:57:04 PM »

Posted in the fighting game thread but this is my game! :bow
IYKYK

mormapope

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2018, 04:11:39 PM »

:idont

Their problem.

Not really, it's more like "why would I ever consider someone's opinion on game design when they're willingly and blatantly ignorant?"

The dump you tried to make was so bad it slipped out of toilet water range and slipped down in front of the seat. I don't even know what a "modern game" is, what that means.  :lol

OH!

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2018, 05:49:47 PM »
Y you guys so caught up on that throwaway part of the op? Let her work, we’re enjoying old games in this thread

Himu

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2018, 06:36:25 PM »
Really liking this island.

I have no idea how this game will top Moonside.

Y you guys so caught up on that throwaway part of the op? Let her work, we’re enjoying old games in this thread

Triggered modern game lovers.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2018, 10:48:44 PM »
Wew. The more time I put into Super Ghouls n Ghosts the more I like it. Game is brutal. Can get to halfway through the  second level on one continue now. I’ll beat it. :obama
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2018, 11:24:30 PM »
Lmao

IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2018, 11:50:56 PM »

:dead
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2018, 02:26:53 AM »
The fanbase is rabid but I get why they are and don’t judge them for being passionate towards it.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2018, 02:47:07 AM »
Earthbound has flaws. Like the mountain dungeon or the mole dungeon. The dungeon design isn’t that good for instance and the encounters can be ridiculous at times. That said it’s still a good game and it’s an example of being more than the sum of its parts. I don’t think many Earthbound fans think the game is perfect but it’s such a ride that you ignore whatever issues it has. Whether or not you love it or not seems like it’s dependent on how you can accept those flaws.

It’s also comparatively light on story compared to its peers like chrono trigger, FFVI, Phantasy Star IV, or the Romancing Saga games. It’s not that it doesn’t have a story so much as the way the story is told feels NES-ish. It’s very minimal. You don’t really talk to your party members like in other RPGs for instance. There’s not much interaction between characters. Even FFIV, which was made like 4 years before Earthbound has more story and character interaction. Which isn’t a bad thing. It just has a different focus than other jRPGs of its era but can definitely be off putting and feel like it’s “aged” (although it feels like a deliberate ode to DQI-III). Then you’ve got the way you progress which often means talking to a random npc. It’s very NES-esque.

So I don’t blame you for not finding it amazing or even not exactly knowing what it is that makes you not enjoy it as much as you could but I completely understand even though I love the game.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2018, 02:53:16 AM »
From earlier.

IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2018, 03:21:40 AM »
Relevant sister thread: http://www.thebore.com/forum/index.php?topic=42133.0

*wraps self in nostalgia blanket*

I like a lot of modern games tho

Also a lot of older games were trash too

I don't have a point 🤷🏻‍♂️

Himu

« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2018, 03:57:10 AM »
I’m definitely not saying there weren’t clunkers back in the day.

But like, for my tastes, I just don’t get much enjoyment from games these days that aren’t made by Nintendo or a fighting game. It has to do with how the developer treats the player. I can’t stand being hand held, told what to do, or have the game drag out because it’s an overly long tutorial. I like to make my own decisions, I like freedom, and wracking my brain on how to overcome an immediate challenge. A lot of games these days it feels like they want to guide you to the destination but don’t emphasize what I love the most: the journey.

Like tonight I played some Super Ghouls n Ghosts. I had a problem getting into it at first being used to Ghosts and Goblins arcade/Genesis. But I made it my goal to beat the first level without dying. I find that so refreshing and it’s how I enjoy my games. There’s certainly games being made today where the player is treated with respect. Mega man 11 just came out for instance. But those are the far, far exception.

Going back to Earthbound after playing hours of DQ11 felt so good. DQ used to have respect for the player and kept its hand holding to a minimum despite being the jrpg equivalent of McDonalds. You know what you’re going to get, and that’s a good thing. But now we’ve got ten hour tutorials, icons telling you who to talk to so you don’t get lost, the game barricading progress so you do it the way it wants you to, and such a hard focus on story it detracts from the gameplay. Even DQ has lost its way. That’s how you know the meat in the stove is well and cooked.

I’ve come to accept that most games are not made for people like me anymore. Either they are too cinematic, or think you’re a moron like Bethesda. This video it’s pretty much applicable to most games now.

Scratch that. Modern game design is insulting.

Video games have gone from a hobby about problem solving and overcoming obstacles to getting your dick wet and rewarded just for having bought the game.

Speaking of Super Ghouls n Ghosts, good play is really, REALLY impressive.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 09:28:54 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2018, 09:54:48 AM »
Play a bunch of 90s PC RPGs, sis.
dog

paprikastaude

« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2018, 10:07:35 AM »
 :confused Ocarina of the Time is the origin for modern handholding/tutorials and current Nintendo games have developed some of the most perverse. To the point where I'm shocked that Miyamoto didn't order a complete restructuring of Zelda Switch, because up until recently they've implanted literal video walkthroughs into Zelda worlds. Mario Kart's default control scheme now steers automatically. Their new platformers are all strikingly easy, excluding the moderately challenging Donkey Kong, and there's alarm screens that ask you to skip/cheat through a level whenever you manage to do the impossible and fail a couple of times.

Also the reason why people hype up the last few years is because that the Ubisoft/Bethesda/Sony narrative/etc. pool isn't the end-all anymore. Many hardcore games like Bloodborne, Cuphead, Crash Bandicoot, Nioh and even Bethesda's Doom are now successful again. Though if your positive examples are OoT/Nintendo games, I don't see how things like Astrobot, Sonic Mania or Nier Automata are any worse.

Himu

« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2018, 10:20:37 AM »
I won’t deny Zelda games became handhold-y especially TP. I didn’t play Skyward Sword because it looked like crap from the outset. However Link Between Worlds and what I’ve played of Breath of the Wild are free and open. DKC Tropical Freeze is really good from what I’ve played, as are games like NSMBU. So to me, Nintendo is an outlier in a sea of shit.

But this statement is something I disagree with entirely.

Ocarina of the Time is the origin for modern handholding/tutorials

There’s nothing in OoT that handholds like a modern game. OoT has tips that are like a single text box but it lets you figure it out yourself. Navi is optional so to the comparison doesn’t fly. Your connection is even more illogical when you consider that OoT’s sequel is something as open and as non-handhold-y as possible: Majora’s Mask.

Those games you listed are exceptions.  Games are in infinite regress.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2018, 10:25:38 AM »
Play a bunch of 90s PC RPGs, sis.

Thanks. Super Mario RPG after Earthbound.

I really want to finish paper Mario. It’s almost unplayable emulated and has lots of glitches. I’m considering getting an N64 and physical copy of Paper Mario.

What’s the best way to store N64 carts? Also what’s the best possible Nintendo 64 set up on modern displays? CRT seems best. I might have a CRT at the rents house.
IYKYK

mormapope

« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2018, 10:26:05 AM »
:confused Ocarina of the Time is the origin for modern handholding/tutorials and current Nintendo games have developed some of the most perverse. To the point where I'm shocked that Miyamoto didn't order a complete restructuring of Zelda Switch, because up until recently they've implanted literal video walkthroughs into Zelda worlds. Mario Kart's default control scheme now steers automatically. Their new platformers are all strikingly easy, excluding the moderately challenging Donkey Kong, and there's alarm screens that ask you to skip/cheat through a level whenever you manage to do the impossible and fail a couple of times.

Also the reason why people hype up the last few years is because that the Ubisoft/Bethesda/Sony narrative/etc. pool isn't the end-all anymore. Many hardcore games like Bloodborne, Cuphead, Crash Bandicoot, Nioh and even Bethesda's Doom are now successful again. Though if your positive examples are OoT/Nintendo games, I don't see how things like Astrobot, Sonic Mania or Nier Automata are any worse.

Your post will probably be ignored because it doesn't fit the narrative that "modern" games are for dumb fuck slobs.

Fortnite and Minecraft are apparently dumbed down, hand holdy, narrative based games. R6 Siege, quite possibly one of the most challenging and frustrating multiplayer games to get into, can't even compare to a JRPG SNES game when it comes to depth!

I'm actually playing Ninja Gaiden Black and enjoying it a lot, and Im gonna try to beat MGS2 on european Extreme difficulty. But what doI know, Im a modern gamer (™).

OH!

Himu

« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2018, 10:30:12 AM »
I have no interest in fortnite, R6, or Minecraft. The genres that I like have been chewed up and spat out. I’m sorry my opinion offends you.
IYKYK

mormapope

« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2018, 10:32:52 AM »
Those games you listed are exceptions.  Games are in infinite regress.

Sounds like global warming, pretty soon all discs are gonna melt and destroy our consoles.
OH!

Himu

« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2018, 11:17:03 AM »
I’ve decided to invest in a crt. I’ve been thinking of it for a while because the lag in an hd set up isn’t good for old fighting games. We bring crts to local fighting game meet ups and I’ve wanted to bring Bushido Blade to a local for a while.

The benefits seem pretty obvious. So with me more dedicated to playing older games it makes sense to just finally bite the bullet rather than try hooking this stuff up to an hd set up. I dropped by the rents and...no crt from what I can find. :(

So I’m looking for a new one. What’s a good size? To my memory, tv size is different with crts compared to lcds. Like, a 20 inch lcd looks small as hell but a 20 inch crt feels beefy. I had a 10 inch in freshmen year and that was too small so I’m thinking 13-19 inches would be better? I don’t want it to take up much space because it won’t be the primary tv of course.

My life in gaming seems to have a good video on it? Posting so I can watch it later.

Then again, small crt size isn’t much a big deal. I’ve played on Sony PVM’s at tournaments and they’re absolutely fine so :idont
IYKYK

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2018, 12:15:36 PM »
With CRT's you're better off looking at yard sales, pawnshops and/or in attics and basements.
Also they're massive and heavy and outside of a select few Sony models the last batch sucked pretty bad.

Still I find it funny to see indie devs make all those 'pixel perfect' graphics as if that was the 8-bit / 16-bit era.
You could get close with an RGB scart setup. But most RF/antenna setups would make everything a blurry mess.

Also 20" is very small. I'd go with 24" that always seemed the sweet spot for CRT.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 12:20:28 PM by Nintex »
🤴

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2018, 12:21:33 PM »
Thought the trinitrons were the go to retro tvs. I got like 7 old crt tvs cause people throw them away and I just ask if I can take em.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2018, 01:11:27 PM »
Real light gun games on a CRT :rejoice

Himu

« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2018, 02:48:37 PM »
I’m not interested in a big ass crt that’ll break my back lol. I will be transporting it to fighting game events.

At tournaments we usually go with Sony  PVMs and Trinitons or other crt set ups. Usually non Sony  pvms and bvms.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2018, 03:02:54 PM »
Something else to consider:

http://www.retrotink.com/

Been thinking about getting one of these so I can ditch the little CRT I have.
ど助平

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2018, 03:20:48 PM »

Decent game but a few too many cheap hits in some of the levels, and slightly unresponsive controls. For some reason this really started to increase in price over the past few years.
^_^

Himu

« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2018, 03:42:21 PM »
Something else to consider:

http://www.retrotink.com/

Been thinking about getting one of these so I can ditch the little CRT I have.

Nah. Only crt’s are tournament legal
IYKYK

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2018, 03:44:38 PM »
Cindi, it's on the pricey side but have you looked into upscaler technology, ie OSSC, Framemeister, etc? I'm putting together a dream retro rig but waiting for a scart switcher I preordered to finish manufacturing and ship to me.

Anyways, another decent modern day game is Alliance Alive, it's like a slightly easier, more goofy take on SaGa with a Bravely Default art style.
^_^

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #53 on: October 20, 2018, 04:53:47 PM »
I have no interest in fortnite, R6, or Minecraft.

That's fine, but that's kinda ignoring their point: There's still good games (though I wouldn't put Fortnite in that category, since it has ass-tastic shooting mechanics) out there in the current year from developers that may/may not be indie.

I'd say Dark Souls 1 (2, and 3 are alright but not needed), Battlefield: Bad Company 2, Shadowrun Returns or Underrail, Hotline Miami, Xcom, for starters are decent if not great (though you'll have some NMA'd like folks on the X-com vs Xcom debate) modern games.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #54 on: October 20, 2018, 06:26:44 PM »
'NEW THINGS ARE BAD!
OLD THINGS ARE GOOD!
I'M BASIC AS FUCK!'
Hi

Himu

« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2018, 06:44:14 PM »
Cindi, it's on the pricey side but have you looked into upscaler technology, ie OSSC, Framemeister, etc? I'm putting together a dream retro rig but waiting for a scart switcher I preordered to finish manufacturing and ship to me.

Anyways, another decent modern day game is Alliance Alive, it's like a slightly easier, more goofy take on SaGa with a Bravely Default art style.

Still not an option for competitive games. Crt is the only option. I’m talking with fgc people on what good options are.
IYKYK

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2018, 10:00:49 PM »
Cindi, you NEED to play Alliance Alive for 3DS. Just got up to a part where the game opens up a ton and it gets VERY Suikoden-ish. In fact, the director was also the director of Suikoden (you can see his love of ducks in this game too). Basically, Suikoden meets SaGa...
^_^

Himu

« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2018, 10:03:54 PM »
Murayama wrote, didn’t direct

Does it hand hold, treat you like a child, make it like babby’s first jrpg, have a twenty hour tutorial, an obscene focus on story to the point of detracting from the gameplay? Even story based jrpgs back in the day like suikoden has a gameplay first principle. Minimal handholding, risk (characters can die permanently), minimal cutscenes despite story being a big focus, lots of side quests, and hidden shit.

If it’s not that I have no interest.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2018, 10:12:57 PM »
Made it to the desert town in Earthbound. Feels like this is when the game really begins. Nice stuff. The kraken was nuts. One shot everyone but Ness one turn.

Can now get to level three on one continue in Super Ghouls n Ghosts. I think I’ll be able to one credit it...eventually. I’ve never seen an arcade machine of Super Ghouls n Ghosts so I can’t put it to the real test with real money although I want to.

Beat F-Zero on beginner. Haven’t played it since I was a kid. Hated it as a kid but I really liked it this time.

Getting close to having the Mega Man X itch which I haven’t touched on snes Classic. Will do it with no upgrades like usual to memorialize Hitokage.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2018, 11:41:00 PM »
Huh.

Looks good. Color me surprised. In a way I do owe a lot to Murayama but I don’t have much loyalty these days so that wasn’t much of an interest to me. But watching this and see pixel express similar views about modern jrpgs and liking alliancenalive really helped. I’ll get it and add to the 3ds list.

IYKYK