Author Topic: Retro Thread for old gamers  (Read 88446 times)

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
Re: Modern Games Are Trash - Retro Thread for old gamers
« Reply #120 on: December 25, 2018, 08:56:15 AM »
Nothing says Christmas like Pit Fighter on a bootleg cabinet

Himu

« Reply #121 on: December 25, 2018, 08:59:19 AM »
Is Ecco the Dolphin worth playing

Absolutely. It’s a mind boggling game with insane atmosphere and story. Better than Sonic.
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #122 on: December 25, 2018, 09:37:10 AM »
great graphics abs the sega cd version has nice music but the controls make it fucking impossible. swim around the first map for awhile then shut it off and move to something better.
pcp

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #123 on: December 25, 2018, 03:04:54 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

1. Why are you torturing yourself with Pit Fighter
2. Why are you hosting your photos on Photobucket?  Use Imgur or something and get rid of that awful watermark!  :P
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #125 on: December 25, 2018, 04:19:19 PM »
Is Ecco the Dolphin worth playing

Absolutely. It’s a mind boggling game with insane atmosphere and story. Better than Sonic.

Let's not forget that it's based on the NASA dolphin that comitted suicide because his trainer wasn't allowed to jerk him off anymore. The dolphin was being trained to communicate with humans and aliens.

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #126 on: December 26, 2018, 08:35:30 AM »

1. Why are you torturing yourself with Pit Fighter
2. Why are you hosting your photos on Photobucket?  Use Imgur or something and get rid of that awful watermark!  :P

I actually like Pit Fighter, but I'm a sucker for the 90s digitized/FMV games.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #127 on: December 26, 2018, 01:34:25 PM »
Did you ever play Guardians Of The Hood?
ど助平

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #128 on: December 27, 2018, 09:02:25 AM »
I actually played it in the arcade at Camp Snoopy in the Mall of America back in the 90s and always wanted to replay it again.  I recently put it on my SNES Classic and... it's not that good.  Shitty hit detection and the control system is wonky as hell, especially mapped to a SNES controller.  I do enjoy the cheese factor and managed to play through it,  The characters were going to be in Pit Fighter II on the Genesis, which got pretty far along before it was scrapped.  I've been trying to find a ROM of that for a long time.

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #129 on: December 27, 2018, 09:07:17 AM »
Added some more art to my minicade

Himu

« Reply #130 on: December 27, 2018, 09:13:31 AM »
Happ! What pound is the spring?
IYKYK

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #131 on: December 27, 2018, 10:08:23 AM »
https://twitter.com/GameHistoryOrg/status/1077588947390418945
Crazy to read how much of Nintendo's influence changed Sim City from simulation like software with no goal to an actual game with goals and rewards.
Kinda weird Nintendo never went back to it with the N64 or GameCube. 
🤴

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #132 on: December 27, 2018, 10:14:32 AM »
Don't even remember Sim City 2000 on SNES.

ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #133 on: December 27, 2018, 10:16:59 AM »

They did...on the N64 DD. 
:leon

Did not know about this either.

ど助平

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #134 on: December 27, 2018, 10:55:02 AM »

Woah, and it has advisor guy plus first person 'walk in your city' gameplay. A mixture of Simcopter and Simcity.

However, in a twist, the player can then shrink their nigh omniscient overhead perspective into a first-person, citizen-on-the-streets view. While in this perspective, other Sims can be interacted with. They will tell the player about their lives and neighborhoods. Sighting a gun toting criminal on the sidewalk is a good indicator that more police stations need to be constructed. These city dwellers are rendered as cartoon sprites.

Apart from the ability to walk the streets there is some additional city interactivity available in the first-person perspective.
At airports, the player can now access a helicopter. The vehicles' horizontal movement is controlled via the control stick and vertical movement with the up and down c-buttons.
In a hide-and-seek mini-game Dr. Wright assigns you a person to find on the streets of your city. A bar on the bottom of the screen shows if you are drawing near to the quested person. There are some rewards to be had from listening to these persons' stories.
If a rail system is in play players can board it; it can also be ridden, and the player may look out of the window of their car.
Using Mario Artist: Paint Studio players can create a character, animated with two frames of animation, and import him or her into SimCity 64. This character can roam the streets until the player decides to make a new one.

Ah yes, Nintendo. Always loved wasting resources on software for obscure pheripherals only available in Japan. 
🤴

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #135 on: December 27, 2018, 03:19:41 PM »
Happ! What pound is the spring?

I'm not sure.  I didn't build it.

I am thinking about building one this year though.  Maybe something fairly simple like getting an Arcade 1up and using the cabinet and monitor but customizing the games.

Himu

« Reply #136 on: December 27, 2018, 03:57:27 PM »
Ohhh this is one of those mini cabs? Nvm
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #137 on: December 27, 2018, 09:03:38 PM »
Ohhh this is one of those mini cabs? Nvm

Looks like bar tops.

That's what I'd like to get at some point...a full-size cab is just too damn big for my place.
ど助平

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #138 on: December 28, 2018, 08:51:31 AM »
Yeah I have 2 Arcade 1 Ups (Atari 12 in 1 and Street Fighter) with risers and 2 bar tops (60 in 1 multicade jamma board and Pandora's Box 9 built into a Neo Geo knockoff).  The multicade didn't have any art on it so I've been adding stuff to it.

Shuri

« Reply #139 on: December 28, 2018, 09:43:17 AM »
December was a pretty crazy month for me-

1) Picked up a hori fighting stick for saturn
2) Picked up a dual stick joystick for the sat with Virtua ON, Gundam Side Story 1-2-3 and GunGriffon 2
3) random sat pickups: NBA JAM, UMK3
4) PGM Jamma board + Do Don Pachi Daioujou convertion (I'm not dropping 2k on a single arcade pcb
5) motherfucking BAD DUDES arcade board. The game is still awesome.
6) Dreamcast GDEMU.

The dreamcast gdemu is AMAZING. Everything loads so quickly, and it resurrected my old dreamcast. It also patch every game for VGA support. I use a vga box for my dc and it was annoying to boot my originals imports with a bootleg codebreaker disk.

you can get  :doge alternative  :doge gd emu boards on ebay for 70$, the market for legit boards is plagued with scalpers.

My wallet am cry

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #140 on: December 31, 2018, 06:32:02 PM »
Eh Himu, you need to watch this animu on Netflix:

dog

Himu

« Reply #141 on: December 31, 2018, 06:36:54 PM »
I'm starting it tonight. Been meaning to watch.
IYKYK

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #142 on: December 31, 2018, 08:59:43 PM »
Eh Himu, you need to watch this animu on Netflix:

This show is fucking great, my girlfriend and I have been watching, saw the first 8 eps and will probably finish tonight. Love the different references although it's a bit inconsistent between using US and JP names for things.
^_^

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #143 on: January 01, 2019, 10:22:43 PM »
Put this in the anime thread, but- High Score Girl isn't the complete series.  The anime covers about half the story and has kind of an incomplete ending.  There's three more episodes coming out as OVAs in March.  Don't know if/when Netflix will get them.

And yeah, Himu, how have you not watched this yet?  SFII is a huge focus in the series and it goes right up through each release, including Super Turbo when people find out about Akuma for the first time!
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #144 on: January 01, 2019, 10:26:40 PM »
Mortal Kombat even makes an appearance!  :lol

https://twitter.com/Anakron199X/status/1034826721067978753
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #145 on: January 01, 2019, 10:28:33 PM »
Yeah I've been watching. I'm on ep 11, and although I have some issues with the story I love it to bits and it's like it was made specifically for people like me in mind.

Seeing my main fighting game (ST) get love really makes me smile.
IYKYK

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #146 on: January 02, 2019, 10:37:33 AM »
Oh wait, is this show actually good and not Loli Uguu Trash? (I assume everything is unless it is BAKI)

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #147 on: January 02, 2019, 10:58:18 AM »
Oh wait, is this show actually good and not Loli Uguu Trash? (I assume everything is unless it is BAKI)

It doesn't have any loli stuff at all but there's definitely some over-expressive, hyperactive anime comedy stuff in it.
^_^

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #148 on: January 02, 2019, 03:03:39 PM »

Yes!  No loli (well, they're kids, but it's not all uguu'd up), very little cliche animu crap, or any of that junk.   Just good, clean nostalgia-filled fun.  Starts off during the beginning of the 16-bit era (besides the arcade games, the main character plays a lot of PC-Engine!) and goes up through the beginning of the 32-bit era.  Has lots of actual video game footage included.  Made me feel all nostalgic.  :-[
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 03:08:57 PM by bork »
ど助平

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #149 on: January 02, 2019, 05:32:16 PM »
Also, one thing I thought of.
Akira Ono = Akira Nishitani (SF2, Final Fight director) and Yoshinori Ono
^_^

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #150 on: January 02, 2019, 08:04:36 PM »

It's possible, but I kind of doubt it.  Different Kanji for Ono, too.

Here's some unrelated trivia about the comic-
On August 5, 2014, Osaka District Police searched the offices of Square Enix, the publishers of High Score Girl acting on an IP violation claim by SNK Playmore stating that the manga allegedly features over 100 instances of characters from The King of Fighters, Samurai Shodown, and other fighting games. In response, Square Enix voluntarily recalled all printed volumes and temporarily suspended publication of future volumes and digital sales. However, the manga continued its run in Monthly Big Gangan.

In August 2015, it was reported that Square Enix and SNK Playmore had reached a settlement, cancelling the lawsuit and enabling the manga to be sold again in different formats.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #151 on: January 02, 2019, 09:40:50 PM »
It’s also Ouno, not Ono.
IYKYK

Sho Nuff

« Reply #152 on: January 02, 2019, 11:11:23 PM »

It's possible, but I kind of doubt it.  Different Kanji for Ono, too.

Here's some unrelated trivia about the comic-
On August 5, 2014, Osaka District Police searched the offices of Square Enix, the publishers of High Score Girl acting on an IP violation claim by SNK Playmore stating that the manga allegedly features over 100 instances of characters from The King of Fighters, Samurai Shodown, and other fighting games. In response, Square Enix voluntarily recalled all printed volumes and temporarily suspended publication of future volumes and digital sales. However, the manga continued its run in Monthly Big Gangan.

In August 2015, it was reported that Square Enix and SNK Playmore had reached a settlement, cancelling the lawsuit and enabling the manga to be sold again in different formats.

Knowing how litigious / aggressive / paranoid Square's legal team is, the fact that they got to that point is absolutely mind-blowing. You'd think they would have caught that and gotten permission before letting that out the door. Insane.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #153 on: January 02, 2019, 11:24:22 PM »
It’s also Ouno, not Ono.

Or Ōno or Oono...oh no!

« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 11:34:40 PM by bork »
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #154 on: January 03, 2019, 04:01:47 AM »
i finished the anime, read the rest in english that's available and now reading the raws. 11 chapters left.
IYKYK

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #155 on: January 03, 2019, 04:23:00 AM »

SimCity64 was one of the first games they showed on the 64DD. The original EXCITING SELLING POINT was the ability to walk around your city IN TRUE 3D. Of course it got delayed five years or whatever and then the 64DD bomba with developers even in Japan so they killed the whole thing.

There's also a SimCity 2000 release on N64.

PC Gamers got to VISIT THEIR CITIES IN 3D in:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streets_of_SimCity
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SimCopter

The latter of which has this great story:
The game gained controversy when it was discovered that designer Jacques Servin inserted an easter egg that generated shirtless "himbos" (male bimbos) in Speedo trunks who hugged and kissed each other and appear in great numbers on certain dates, such as Friday the 13th. Their fluorescent nipples were drawn with a special rendering mode usually reserved for fog-piercing runway landing lights, so they could easily be seen from long distances in bad weather. The egg caused hundreds of himbos to swarm and crowd around the helicopter, where they would be slashed up by the blades, and then need to be air-lifted to the hospital—which earned the player easy money. The egg was caught shortly after release and removed from future copies of the game.

The designer was fired afterwards for adding unauthorized content (which delayed the release of the game, and caused Maxis to miss Christmas season). He cited his actions as a response to the intolerable working conditions he allegedly suffered at Maxis.[1][2] This caused a member of AIDS Coalition to Unleash Power (ACT UP), a gay AIDS organization, to call for a boycott of all of Maxis' products, a measure which Servin rejected.[3] Some months later, a group named RTMark announced its existence and claimed responsibility for the himbos being inserted into the game along with 16 other acts of "creative subversion."[4] Servin stated that he had received a money order of $5,000 from RTMark for the prank.[4]

I want to say the whole VISIT YOUR CITY IN 3D thing was proclaimed for each new SimCity game but then never made it into any other games except the Wii one. SimCity 3000 at one point was supposed to be totally 3D but they scrapped the design entirely because it created all sorts of issues they hadn't planned for.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #156 on: January 03, 2019, 07:15:12 AM »
New Sega Saturn Translation (!) for Linkle Liver Story

http://aishsha.blogspot.com/2019/01/linkle-liver-story-released.html
fat

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #157 on: January 03, 2019, 10:23:02 AM »

Holy FUCK! I love this game!
^_^

Sho Nuff

« Reply #158 on: January 03, 2019, 11:07:08 AM »

Well THERE'S something you don't see every day

Himu

« Reply #159 on: January 03, 2019, 12:41:39 PM »
Considering doing a weekly arcade/retro game stream and curious if anyone else is interested in joining.
IYKYK

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #160 on: January 03, 2019, 02:16:16 PM »

SSF is the recommended emulator. Getting that to read disc images is such a pain. (As I have found out yet again.) I just burned a fucking disc like a neanderthal. Let's see how this goes.

-

Works fine on SSF 0.12betaR4, which is the latest stable release. Played about an hour and beat the first boss without any issues. Only had a brief stutter in the opening cutscene.
The music in the starting area sounded odd, but that appears to be normal. The instrument just sounds bad. :doge

I used the default settings for SSF, didn't touch anything besides screen size. HLE BIOS works fine also, no need to track down a real one.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 03:16:35 PM by Rufus »

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #161 on: January 03, 2019, 03:27:48 PM »
Why SSF? What about Mednafen or Yaba Sanshiro (or what used to be called Yabause)?
fat

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #162 on: January 03, 2019, 03:31:40 PM »
Readme says Mednafen crashes when you go to the world map and Yabause has sound glitches at the start and end. I'll try Yabause (0.9.15) in a bit.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 03:36:55 PM by Rufus »

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #163 on: January 03, 2019, 03:37:40 PM »
I am referring to this, just did a search for "Saturn" on r/emulation

https://old.reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/9rkzk3/yaba_sanshiro_220_sega_saturn_emulator_windows/
fat

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #164 on: January 03, 2019, 04:07:56 PM »
They refer to them interchangeably, so I assume they have the same issues. The version number they give is yabause-0.9.14, which is what the retroarch core is called. Tried that, but it didn't even start. Could be something fucky with my retroarch config, but I can't be bothered to troubleshoot this right now. Standalone Yabause 0.9.15 works, but exhibits the sound glitch (a constant high-pitched note that gets louder with every input :doge ).

Mednafen boots, but I didn't play long enough to confirm the world map crash. No reason to assume they're not correct about it, anyway. 

Code: [Select]
======================================================
Emulators to use
======================================================
The game is VERY picky with the emulation software.
Hence, it simply freezes eventually on mednafen and
has some issues on the most popular emulators available
today.
 - SSF (number 1 recommended, though it has some
   reported lag and framerate drop issues);
 - Yabause/YabaSanshiro (play the game fine mostly,
   but experience troubles when playing separate
   musical pieces in the beginning and the end:
   yabause-0.9.14 version was used for testing);
 - Mednafen (v1.22.0 or earlier) is not recommended -
   game freezes on global map;
 - Real hardware. THE GAME HAS BEEN FULLY TESTED
   ON AN ACTUAL SEGA SATURN SYSTEM WITHOUT ANY
   ISSUES DETECTED. It goes without saying that
   it is the best option to play the game.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #165 on: January 03, 2019, 04:46:35 PM »
Tried standalone Yabause 0.9.14 too for the hell of it. No high pitched sound this time, but the sound effects are all kinds of broken. Crackly or don't even trigger properly. The music warbles like hell, too. And the shadow under the protag is bright white. Scratch that, all shadows are white. Some static sprites (two large trees) move a couple pixels in the opposite of whatever direction you press on the d-pad.

Hold on, I was using the OpenGL renderer (inherited the settings from the newer version I tried before). The software renderer handles the shadows correctly, at least.

Shame, because yabause has a lot less input lag than SSF.

I also tried Kronos, which is yet another fork of Yabause or uoYabause or YabaSanshiro (sigh), but that didn't even boot.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 05:08:49 PM by Rufus »

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #166 on: January 05, 2019, 04:30:11 PM »
Finished it just now. Cute game. Very easy and short, but enjoyable nonetheless.

Ran perfectly on SSF, too, outside of a couple slowdowns around 3D objects. It was worst in an early bossfight against a big moai head, but smooth sailing afterward.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #168 on: January 06, 2019, 12:24:57 PM »
wtf
IYKYK

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #169 on: January 06, 2019, 05:10:11 PM »
That's like Homers car of retro stuff  :doge

All it needs is a label that says: "Hi-Definition Graphics"
🤴

Shuri

« Reply #170 on: January 06, 2019, 08:26:40 PM »

I'm surprised that it's a real SMS and not a pi3 with some 5000 roms in 1 megapack running.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #171 on: January 06, 2019, 10:39:25 PM »

I'm surprised that it's a real SMS and not a pi3 with some 5000 roms in 1 megapack running.

The kind of person that would shell out a few hundred for a custom case like that would definitely want to have it contain a real Master System.
dog

benjipwns

« Reply #172 on: January 06, 2019, 11:53:14 PM »
But which model Master System is it?

:expert

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #173 on: January 12, 2019, 09:44:44 AM »
NyQuil and Rolling Thunder make for a good Friday night.  ASS strikes again!

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #174 on: January 12, 2019, 11:53:20 AM »

Himu

« Reply #175 on: January 12, 2019, 12:15:46 PM »
Hell yeah
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #176 on: January 12, 2019, 02:32:56 PM »
So I have an actual arcade now with  actual cabs with top competition. I feel so damn blessed. Also getting Capcom Beat Em Up collection on Steam. :)
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #177 on: January 13, 2019, 12:07:26 AM »
Channel of just trying out random games on emulators, often at petty high settings, as revisions come along: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC993yJ3ET5aFc6cRyukofjQ/videos

Retro...ish since he's been focusing on 360/PS3/Switch emulators lately, but there are some Xbox and earlier stuff he still posts from time to time, especially Xbox as the emulators have started coming a long way since the "assistance" rumors last year right before MS started releasing the new emulators for the One.

This Gun Valkyrie one caught my eye because of how smooth it is while rarely seriously taxing the CPU/GPU, almost looks like the dude is just playing a PC game from 2002 at 1080p:

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #178 on: January 16, 2019, 07:15:14 PM »
huh, cool, looks very similar to an early Microsoft Studios tps Outwars that i loved
◕‿◕

Svejk

« Reply #179 on: January 16, 2019, 07:25:48 PM »
Gun Valkyrie was my jam! :lawd   But I could only play it with the Duke controller.  :doge

Speaking of Gun Valkyrie and jam, this track is still and will forever be dope...

« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 07:31:42 PM by Svejk »