Author Topic: The gun thread  (Read 11229 times)

Himu

The gun thread
« on: October 27, 2018, 03:52:49 PM »
Separate thread to be considerate.

There's valid reasons why people want to protect and defend themselves and their loved ones with a sidearm at home.

However, having shitlords roam the streets with military grade hardware is just insanity.

Almost all weapons are military grade. You’re just using buzz words.
I don't consider a 6 shooter to be on the same level as an AR-15.
Why on earth would you need an assault rifle for? Or any other automatic weapon for that matter?

I've never seen a news story that said: "Heroic citizen mows down government officials with automatic guns in self defense"

You said military grade.

The point is that the military uses many of the same weapons you just co-signed.

There's valid reasons why people want to protect and defend themselves and their loved ones with a sidearm at home.

The marines uses Sig Sauer P226 and Glock 19’s. Those are side arm handguns. They are also available to consumers. Shit, the Glock 19 is the Honda Civics of guns. Are those also not military grade? The famous 1911 was originally a military weapon. Mosin Nagants were in military rotation for decades. What does “military grade” even mean? Because if it means the military uses it then, yes, many guns that you support are military grade.

The rifles you are talking about are not automatic. And they have been used in self defense cases.

https://wgntv.com/2018/02/27/man-armed-with-ar-15-stops-attack-by-neighbor-in-oswego/
http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-texas-shooting-guns-20171106-story.html

Those are just two examples.

I have questions for you:

How many do you think are killed in a year with AR-15 and rifles like it versus the amount of people that own one?

As for why? Why not? It’s customizable and is one of the best home defense guns.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 08:25:25 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

agrajag

Re: The gun debate thread
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2018, 03:58:32 PM »
If you love guns so much, why don't you marry one?

Himu

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2018, 04:07:58 PM »
“Pistols can be considered military grade if they’re used by the military. Who are we to draw the arbitrary line?”

“Oh yeah, The AR-15? That shit is super customizable and works like a fucking workhorse, I’ll tell you  :whew

Nope. I’m asking the definition for military grade. Don’t back down now. You won’t answer because you know that “military grade” is a buzzword and nothing more.
IYKYK

agrajag

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2018, 04:09:05 PM »
What is there to debate, which type of gun is most awesome?

the type the use for abortions

Himu

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2018, 04:17:08 PM »
Let’s see if you guys can engage without mockery.

I doubt it. It’s all you have tbh.

I will reply with every sarcastic smug post with exactly one :doge
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2018, 04:20:26 PM »
What is there to debate, which type of gun is most awesome?

the type the use for abortions

I mean that’s a much better method than the current one, the perpetrator shooting herself in the damn head.  Good idea.  It’s still monstrous but at least it takes out the monster.

:beli

*steps back*
IYKYK

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2018, 04:24:17 PM »
tasty's add-on looking pretty good
每天生气

Himu

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2018, 04:42:28 PM »
Indeed it won’t be a debate because we are ignoring facts.

The majority of Americans oppose assault rifle bans.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/243860/snapshot-majority-oppose-ban-assault-rifles.aspx

The AR-15 is the most popular gun in America with over 5-7 million owned. Yet there’s less than 500 homicides done in its name a year. This is a negligible number given a population of over 300 million people.

More and more Americans are against a ban as we get the facts.

And yes, your definition of “military grade” is not satisfactory, 21337.
IYKYK

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2018, 04:48:50 PM »
Calling 500 homicides negligible is a very American point of view.

Himu

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2018, 04:54:43 PM »
Calling 500 homicides negligible is a very American point of view.

I’m not defining it as good. But it is statistically small a number. That is objective fact. And yet democrats have gun control as a high priority even over climate change,!healthcare, and income equality.

Never mind that objectively, there is no mass shooting problem and crime (even gun crime) is down.

https://www.npr.org/2018/03/15/593831564/the-disconnect-between-perceived-danger-in-u-s-schools-and-reality

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2013/05/07/gun-homicide-rate-down-49-since-1993-peak-public-unaware/

Yet democrats want to put gun control over things that matter? That’s DEFINITELY an American POV. And until democrats can find an answer to this despite their pleas nothing will ever happen.
IYKYK

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2018, 07:19:13 PM »
you shouldn't hug a child with nuclear arms

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2018, 07:56:52 PM »
Like I said, I can see why you'd want to keep a pistol around to defend yourself (especially in rural areas or tough neighbourhoods).
However, assault rifles are completely unecessary. When has an assault rifle ever 'defended' somebody from a (mass) shooting event?

Places like Chicago seem to have a lot of gun violence but ownership of assualt rifles doesn't seem to put a stop to that.
The argument for owning an assualt rifle seems hollow in contrast with all the shootings.
🤴

Himu

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2018, 08:06:47 PM »
I literally linked to examples of people using ar-15’s in mass shootings.

You also don’t know what you’re taking about regarding Chicago. AR-15 is banned in Chicago so using it as an example is pointless. In fact, Chicago undoes your entire argument. It’s one of the most violent cities in America, it’s also one of the strictest in the country regarding gun laws. Some states with the loosest gun laws are also among the safest.
IYKYK

agrajag

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2018, 08:06:56 PM »
With an AR you can kill the intruder harder.

agrajag

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2018, 08:08:23 PM »
Breh, how do you think guns make their way into Chicago?

spoiler (click to show/hide)
from states with loose gun laws
[close]

agrajag

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2018, 08:15:35 PM »
Shoot home intruders from 500 yards brehs.

Himu

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2018, 08:19:52 PM »
Shoot home intruders from 500 yards brehs.

“Ar-15 is made for killing!”
“You don’t need an ar-15 to defend your home! :brazilcry
IYKYK

agrajag

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2018, 08:20:32 PM »
Wtf is wrong with you.

Himu

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2018, 08:23:12 PM »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2018, 08:23:26 PM »
With an AR you can kill the intruder harder.

:doge
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2018, 08:33:54 PM »
Ar-15 is light, has low recoil, doesn’t penetrate walls, nice mag size. All the benefits of a home defense gun. Shotguns are too long for a hallway and shortening the barrel goes against the NFA.

That said, I’m still considering a shotgun for home defense. Idk
IYKYK

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2018, 08:43:43 PM »
I mean, what if they’re trying to run away with your TV tho?  :smug

> Thinks women should die if they get abortions.

> Fantasizes about killing someone over a home electronic.

___

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2018, 08:48:24 PM »
Indeed it won’t be a debate because we are ignoring facts.

The majority of Americans oppose assault rifle bans.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/243860/snapshot-majority-oppose-ban-assault-rifles.aspx

The AR-15 is the most popular gun in America with over 5-7 million owned. Yet there’s less than 500 homicides done in its name a year. This is a negligible number given a population of over 300 million people.

More and more Americans are against a ban as we get the facts.

And yes, your definition of “military grade” is not satisfactory, 21337.

Imagine that, in any other country that isn't war-torn, that number is 0.  :ohhh

agrajag

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2018, 08:49:10 PM »
Picturing Cindi bunkered down with her AR/shotgun and a collander over her head as a makeshift helmet as her home is under siege by the gvm't who came to take her guns.

#playittactical

:lawd

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2018, 08:58:01 PM »
To be honest, the only realistic regulation I want is tracking similar to the system for car registration and magazine limits. And if you want to own a handgun, you have to do safety classes and psychological evaluation every few years. I don't expect many potential murderers to actually be caught that way, it just makes it harder for them to go through the trouble. Similar to how Tylenol in blister packs massively reduces the suicide rate.

https://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/06/02/a-simple-way-to-reduce-suicides/

If you're a MASS murderer, yeah they go through tons of planning for it and plan to either kill yourself or have the police talk about how you aren't a real terrorist.

Which makes me wonder why the white dudes rarely kill themselves.

Ar-15 is light, has low recoil, doesn’t penetrate walls, nice mag size. All the benefits of a home defense gun. Shotguns are too long for a hallway and shortening the barrel goes against the NFA.

If it's legitimate home defense, then I think a bean bag round makes the most sense so you don't end up getting potential legal trouble out of it. If you're skeptical of the effectiveness of a non-lethal round, then I would think a .45 would work a lot better than a .223 as far as velocity/penetration and having a free hand to hold a flashlight.

Himu

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2018, 09:04:57 PM »
I notice the people here have no actual arguments.

No data. No scientific backing. No statistics.

Just raw emotion and sarcastic quips.

You argue your case like pro-life hard liners.

Almost every anti-gun argument I’ve seen uses poor logic. One of my favorites is,”the founding fathers never envisioned an assault rifle.” Funny, because if you showed George Washington an ar-15 he’d deduce it was a gun within 10 seconds. Show him computers, smart phones, and the internet and he’d think it was magic.

They say,”the second amendment doesn’t apply to assault rifles because the founding fathers didn’t think of weapons of that caliber” but think the first amendment somehow applies to the internet and 24 hour news stations that are for-profit and get their news based around outrage and headline tactics. So one applies and the other doesn’t? :doge Oh but that’s a false equivalence right? But Russia used the internet to manipulate America didn’t they? The internet has divided America more than its ever been sans the civil war.

Following the logic, why is it ok to limit the second amendment but not the first? I thought alternative news sites were a problem? Why the inconsistency? The internet has divided society, fit people into boxes, made people lonely and isolated, been a factor in radicalization. Shouldn’t we ban it? :doge Ban the internet. Ban the 24 hour news cycle too. After all, it affects society negatively. Should the first amendment allow maximum freedom of speech? I mean, if we are going to limit the second amendment shouldn’t we do the same to the first?

After all, I’m protesting because Itchy and Scratchy are indirectly responsible for my husband being hit on the head with a mallet.

In a civil, free society you must accept that in order for a society to be truly free, you must accept that things you don’t like will exist.

And that’s my libertarian post quota for the day.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2018, 09:06:12 PM »
To be honest, the only realistic regulation I want is tracking similar to the system for car registration and magazine limits. And if you want to own a handgun, you have to do safety classes and psychological evaluation every few years. I don't expect many potential murderers to actually be caught that way, it just makes it harder for them to go through the trouble. Similar to how Tylenol in blister packs massively reduces the suicide rate.

https://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/06/02/a-simple-way-to-reduce-suicides/

If you're a MASS murderer, yeah they go through tons of planning for it and plan to either kill yourself or have the police talk about how you aren't a real terrorist.

Which makes me wonder why the white dudes rarely kill themselves.

If it's legitimate home defense, then I think a bean bag round makes the most sense so you don't end up getting potential legal trouble out of it. If you're skeptical of the effectiveness of a non-lethal round, then I would think a .45 would work a lot better than a .223 as far as velocity/penetration and having a free hand to hold a flashlight.

Thanks for the post and suggestion. Some actual meat around here for a change.
IYKYK

agrajag

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2018, 09:07:50 PM »
You don't deserve anything more than snark, hun.

Dickie Dee

« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2018, 09:14:47 PM »

Like I just said... kill in self-defense, fine.  Kill in aggression, you belong in prison or the morgue.

:PP
___

Dickie Dee

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2018, 09:23:48 PM »

Like I just said... kill in self-defense, fine.  Kill in aggression, you belong in prison or the morgue.

:PP

Not for nothing, but a thief is attacking you and violating your right to property.  They are the aggressor.  And here at least, you are permitted to use lethal force to stop the theft of your property.  It’s part of castle doctrine.

:rofl

Pro-life my ass you degenerate fuck
___

Himu

« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2018, 09:35:16 PM »
Some intruders rape women. Never leave anything to chance. If there’s an intruder his ass is grass. You never know what they’re thinking.

Good on you for providing a means of self defense for your wife while you’re not home, JayDub.
IYKYK

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2018, 09:36:07 PM »
ban all guns except the m1 garand, which all free citizens should be required to train with on sundays. basically the american longbow.

agrajag

« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2018, 09:36:45 PM »
I don't even want all guns banned, I just want to ban Cindi from having one.

Himu

« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2018, 09:38:08 PM »

If only you would buy a gun so you could kill yourself you nazel gazing piece of shit.
IYKYK

agrajag

« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2018, 09:40:25 PM »

If only you would buy a gun so you could kill yourself you nazel gazing piece of shit.

:derp

agrajag

« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2018, 09:41:04 PM »
i'M pRo LiFe

agrajag

« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2018, 09:41:32 PM »
"enemies"

you're so fucking goofy.

Himu

« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2018, 09:45:47 PM »
Agrajag can’t rebut because he was thoroughly owned up above like the non thinking robot he truly is. So this is why he has to resort to...this.

A man who wishes to take away self defense from a trans woman to appease himself as he makes emotional, nonsensical arguments.

When those right wingers were thinking of the NPC meme they had Agrajag in mind: a brain dead giant dad whose insides have been replaced with an MSNBC Bible.

Away from my presence, shitlord.
IYKYK

agrajag

« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2018, 09:46:38 PM »
why don't you call me an NPC to cap off your diarrhea sundae?

edit: lol, wrote that after reading the first sentence of your post. You're highly predictable.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2018, 09:48:29 PM »
The solution to this issue is right here:

ど助平

Himu

« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2018, 09:48:49 PM »
From now on I’ll reply to your posts with nothing more than :doge

Lord knows it’s about as good as anything else you ever have to say.

IYKYK

agrajag

« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2018, 09:49:13 PM »
Cindi and JayDub shouldn't have any guns because they're easily triggered

(see above)

Himu

« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2018, 09:50:19 PM »

I’m sorry I can’t read it. I just see a doggy.
IYKYK

agrajag

« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2018, 09:51:08 PM »
:exxy :reeeee :exxy :reeeee :exxy :reeeee :exxy :reeeee

Himu

« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2018, 09:51:28 PM »
IYKYK

agrajag

« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2018, 09:54:43 PM »
why do you post diatribes like a corny anime villain?

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2018, 09:55:03 PM »
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2018, 10:00:38 PM »
Haven’t read anything new from agrajag. Is it still dog shit?

*looks up*

Yep.
IYKYK

agrajag

« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2018, 10:01:24 PM »
Glad I live in your head rent free, bitch  :-*

benjipwns

« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2018, 10:02:13 PM »
ban all guns except the m1 garand, which all free citizens should be required to train with on sundays. basically the american longbow.
*PING!* :heart

Himu

« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2018, 10:05:22 PM »
Glad I live in your head rent free, bitch  :-*

IYKYK

kingv

« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2018, 10:12:12 PM »
Colin Kaepernick will be relieved to find out the number of black people killed by police each year is statistical noise and he can go back to playing football.

benjipwns

« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2018, 10:12:20 PM »
from the National WW2 Museum:

:dead

Himu

« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2018, 10:16:59 PM »
Colin Kaepernick will be relieved to find out the number of black people killed by police each year is statistical noise and he can go back to playing football.

Are you saying that the FBI puts police killings on annual homicide reports?
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2018, 10:18:00 PM »
i wonder if there's lighter material stock for them, i found the originals wood to be weirdly weighted, carbine stock probably wouldn't be too bad

one of my roommates was a gun buff but other than handguns bought all WW2 stuff, so i got to shoot all this stuff during my peak DoD playing days :rejoice

should have seen our apartment at one point after he bought a bunch of shit, stocks and parts of german rifles all over the living room...meanwhile the actual only armed weapons in the place were the handgun in his safe with his passports and shit in his closet buried :lol

oh and my two fists obv

benjipwns

« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2018, 10:21:49 PM »
actually i take that back, i think in theory if we needed to, we could have armed the one beat-up kar98 he got off ebay for cheap and then died trying to work the bolt after firing the first time

kingv

« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2018, 10:21:57 PM »

I’m saying that if 500 dead people is meaningless than 250 dead people is even more meaningless and 66 unarmed dead people is basicallly like, “whatever, police aren’t even deadly”

Himu

« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2018, 10:25:53 PM »

I’m saying that if 500 dead people is meaningless than 250 dead people is even more meaningless and 66 unarmed dead people is basicallly like, “whatever, police aren’t even deadly”

Police establish law. Police killing civilians is obviously different than civilians killing civilians. Otherwise we wouldn’t focus on police brutality. Police have power over civilians and if that power leads to murderering someone that’s clearly different than a civilian killing someone in crime.

You are comparing apples and oranges.

It’s worth noting because about 8k murders are done with handguns. Concentrating on 400-500 murders done with assault rifles makes it a statistically negligible number. More people are killed with hammers year round than with assault rifles.

You are arguing a strawman and using an emotional plea to police brutality to score emotional points.
IYKYK

kingv

« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2018, 10:44:09 PM »
Just as long as you are aware that you are basically making the same argument that people who say “black people need to focus on the violence in their own community before worrying about the police” make.

7k black people killing each other each year vs 250 killed by police (and some non-negligible number of that 250 were justified) so why focus on the police?

The share of deaths isn’t that big therefore it’s not really a big problem.

I don’t agree with that logic for the reasons you stated. Similarly, I don’t think that comparing people killed by lone gunman in mass killings as a share of people killed by jilted lovers, street crime gone bad, or whatever causes “normal” murders to occur is a meaningful comparison.

Stopping people from killing their ex has a different solution than stopping mass murders. The solution to mass murders is “keep guns that can kill a lot of people quickly, from a large distance out of the hands of fucking crazy people”. Nobody is going to kill 30 people from their hotel window with a 9 mm handgun.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 10:49:04 PM by kingv »

Himu

« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2018, 11:02:17 PM »
I mean, I thought we were arguing gun crime weren’t we? Why the sudden shift to police brutality?

Actual data.

Total homicide by firearm numbers:

2012 - 8897
2013 - 8454
2014 - 8312
2015 - 9778
2016 - 11004

Definitely an increase but let’s look a little closer.

Handguns:

2012 - 6404
2016 - 7104

Rifles:

2012 - 298
2016 - 374

Shotguns:

2012 - 310
2016 - 262

Other firearms:

2012 - 116
2016 - 186

Firearm type not stated:

2012 - 1769
2016 - 3077

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2016/crime-in-the-u.s.-2016/tables/expanded-homicide-data-table-4.xls

There has been an increase in firearm related murders, that won’t be argued. But the same people who say to ban assault rifles ignore that less than 380 people are killed with ALL types of rifles (assault or not) on a year to year basis compared to over 7000 handguns at last check. If public safety and crime were an issue why not the focus on handguns? :thinking Even many in this thread like Nintex maintain it’s ok to defend yourself with a sidearm despite the fact that’s the number one gun done for murder and mostly by gangsters. These stats don’t even dissect if those guns are legally owned.

So are you trying to argue disengenously? I respect someone who is honest and says,”I think all guns should be banned” than someone who is intellectually dishonest and tries to paint rifles as the deadliest guns in America when that simply ain’t true. It makes many anti-gun opinions forfeit. Combine with the actual low odds of school shootings likelihood of happening, and it’s even more open shut.

Extra stat data:

Knives:

2012 - 1604
2016 - 1604

Blunt objects (hammers, clubs):

2012 - 522
2016 - 472

Hands/fists/feet:

2012 - 707
2016 - 656

This isn’t to limit these peoples deaths to mere numbers as each death here is a tragedy in itself, but why should millions of people be punished and have rifles banned when rifles are the gun that is used in the least amount of murders?

This is why Democrats lose on this issue. This info is public information. You can find it simply by google. Yet the media and democrats continue to push this issue that anyone can find and read themselves.

Democrats and media pushes people away by concentrating on it. As someone else said:

It's been a pet theory of mine for a while that the "fake news" epidemic can trace some of its start to media coverage of guns. If you're even remotely knowledgeable about firearms, you can't help but notice that, in general, media coverage on the topic is pretty poor and gets a lot wrong. And once you've noticed that they're getting something you know about wrong, you start to wonder what they're getting wrong about the topics you don't know well enough to spot errors in for yourself...

Be honest with yourself about guns. Rifles are a blip in gun crime. I thought the goal was to stop gun crime? If you ban assault rifles a gunman will just use a different weapon. Shit, angunman is already likely to use a different weapon in general.

So why the focus on rifles? Someone please tell me.

“They were made to kill.”

Find me any weapon that wasn’t designed to kill.

Look at the numbers for yourself and try to argue why rifles are a legitimate problem. Out of 300 million people, with millions upon millions of rifles sold, why does focusing on a type of gun that kills less than 400 people year given precedence over climate change and healthcare?

And now you know why democrats must drop this issue and focus on real ones. If they want to curb gun crime in a real way they’d focus on ending the drug war. Gun control should be item number 20 on the DNC agenda, not number 2. Democrats are sacrificing our futures over bullshit.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 11:08:49 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK