Author Topic: Kingdom Hearts III  (Read 27098 times)

Bebpo

Re: Kingdom Hearts III
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2019, 01:48:06 AM »
Yeah, I got to Toy Story tonight and goddamn the visuals are fucking amazing.

Anyhoo, just wanna comment that I love how this game is so self-aware and trolling SE. It's kinda amazing. Like the fact half the shit I've seen in this game so far slipped by the SE higher ups is lol

Himu

« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2019, 02:03:00 AM »
Bebpo this isn't linear corridor fest like KH2?!
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2019, 02:03:33 AM »

Anyhoo, just wanna comment that I love how this game is so self-aware and trolling SE. It's kinda amazing. Like the fact half the shit I've seen in this game so far slipped by the SE higher ups is lol

details
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2019, 02:06:51 AM »

Man I wanna fuck around in Toy Story. :-[ No PS4 or XBONE here though. :doge

HOLY FUCK my KH senses are tingling!!!!! it's not a corridor like KH2!
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2019, 02:07:41 AM »
The orignal KH is the best. Nice and simple.

Except the gameplay is complete and utter ass, with some of the worst camera work and jump mechanics mankind has ever wrought upon this world.

If the game didn't have Disney and FF on it, it wouldn't have gotten a sequel.

(I'm forcing myself through it slowly, it actually froze on my PS3 after beating Ursula)

KH1 has quirks and kinks like a wonky camera but the game is great imo.
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2019, 02:15:41 AM »

It’s not open world but it’s no FFXIII HD is hard by any measure.

Bebpo

« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2019, 02:19:57 AM »

details

A few off the top of my head early on

spoiler (click to show/hide)
-there’s a title card for KH 2.9 before you hit 3
-there’s a total troll CG trailer parody of Versus
-and little stuff like the game starts with Olympus again, which is a running joke since it’s in every damn KH game but then they mix it up by being a new area and not just the coliseum

I remember a lot of other little in-jokes along the way. The team is very self-aware of all the KH trolls and has no problem poking fun at themselves. It’s great.

Also the fact the game opens with up-ressed PSP footage tells me that the team had free reign to do whatever they want without SE higher ups interefering. It’s kinda like the anti-mainstream newcomer friendly game in a lot of ways.
[close]

Himu

« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2019, 02:49:25 AM »

I don't want open world. I want the return to exploration focused worlds as seen in KH1. Learning to fly was a game changer in that. Being teased by chests you couldn't reach and needing a secret, higher ability to get it. Flying through Hollow Bastion. The level design was fantastic.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: January 30, 2019, 09:17:54 AM »
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #69 on: January 30, 2019, 02:18:09 PM »
So I saw Era's all on how the game is way too easy and it's something I've been thinking a bit on normal difficulty but for different reasons. I don't have an issue with how hard enemies hit you, I'm in flashing red HP a lot and I died for the first time last night and it sucked because there's no checkpoints and you just reload your last save and lose everything you gained since then (I lost a level, some collectibles). Fwiw, I am running a glass cannon build focused on attack and I hardly ever heal so yeah.

But enemies die too fast for sure. Sometimes I never get to build up and use my coolest moves because the crowd is cleared too fast before I can. Ride moves are incredibly OP, but they're fine and fun and you can skip them if you don't want to use them. I'm generally not using the ride moves outside once in a while because I actually want to fight the enemies and not screen clear them quickly.

Personally, I think the only balancing the game needs on normal is standard enemies get an HP boost and adjust the cooldown time for triangle attacks like rides and team attacks and 2nd forms is longer so they don't pop as often. Bosses are fine, they have a ton of HP already.

I don't want open world. I want the return to exploration focused worlds as seen in KH1. Learning to fly was a game changer in that. Being teased by chests you couldn't reach and needing a secret, higher ability to get it. Flying through Hollow Bastion. The level design was fantastic.

Well the thing is you can pretty much air dash, wall run everywhere from the start so there's less specific platforming, but the levels are a decent size with hidden nooks and are fun to explore around and find treasures. It's not a hallway game.

Himu

« Reply #70 on: January 30, 2019, 05:10:58 PM »
Confession: I'm a closet KH tard. I've waned with the series over the years, but I'm very excited about this game. Real life is more important rn.

Anyways, is there music as good as this in KHIII for you yet??

IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #71 on: January 30, 2019, 05:18:24 PM »
I like the music so far, mostly just remixes of the movie themes which is par for course. One thing is that Shimomura isn't solo-ing this ost. Sekito and Ishimoto are on it too.

*edit* actually looking at the staff history, it looks like BBS was already Shimomura + Ishimoto so they're just adding Sekito into the mix.

Himu

« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2019, 05:21:27 PM »
Is the Pooh bear world still kawaii as all fuck? That was always one of my favorites. So full of charm.
IYKYK

bluemax

« Reply #73 on: January 31, 2019, 02:45:24 AM »

Except the gameplay is complete and utter ass, with some of the worst camera work and jump mechanics mankind has ever wrought upon this world.

(I'm forcing myself through it slowly, it actually froze on my PS3 after beating Ursula)

I dunno, it's a LOT of back tracking through painfully small rooms (which I get they wanted a lot of areas, but cmon), some awful floaty jumping, and cringe tastic voice acting. Plus some Disney music on weird loops that make you want to break things. The gummi ship customization controls are incomprehensibly bad, and all the other systems just feel shallow.

Also it has far too many mini games.
NO

El Babua

« Reply #74 on: January 31, 2019, 03:18:14 AM »
The jumping mechanics and camera is still wonky af in this one, but you just gotta appreciate how much this team doesn't give two fucks about modern character animation standards, ie smooth and responsive, but restrictive.

Yeah, it can get janky but this really feels like a PS2 game.

Himu

« Reply #75 on: January 31, 2019, 03:45:40 AM »

I dunno, it's a LOT of back tracking through painfully small rooms (which I get they wanted a lot of areas, but cmon), some awful floaty jumping, and cringe tastic voice acting. Plus some Disney music on weird loops that make you want to break things. The gummi ship customization controls are incomprehensibly bad, and all the other systems just feel shallow.

Also it has far too many mini games.

I don’t have a problem with any of this and the rooms aren’t that small to me. Only real bad thing about it is gummi ship (which I still liked) and occasionally the camera.
IYKYK

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #76 on: January 31, 2019, 06:33:59 AM »

Me and Donald are on the same page concerning these Disney broads....
OH!

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #77 on: January 31, 2019, 10:59:18 AM »
Gonna finally do what I couldn't back in 2003 and sit down and play through KH1. It's about time I dive headfirst into this series, it's one of my biggest RPG blank spots now that I finally beat a Pokemon game last year.
^_^

Bebpo

« Reply #78 on: January 31, 2019, 11:27:42 AM »
Gonna finally do what I couldn't back in 2003 and sit down and play through KH1. It's about time I dive headfirst into this series, it's one of my biggest RPG blank spots now that I finally beat a Pokemon game last year.

Birth By Sleep's a legit good jrpg. KH1/2 are fun disney games. DDD is whatever but has little doggies.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #79 on: January 31, 2019, 11:45:37 AM »
birth by sleep also has some of the most convoluted shit in KH thus far. melding, command board, science projects

KISS - let me just level up and get abilities. done
fat

« Reply #80 on: January 31, 2019, 02:38:02 PM »
The game is stupid easy on Normal difficulty, but it's a lot of fun. My daughter and I got up to the beginning of Toy Box last night and she's having a blast helping.
野球

Bebpo

« Reply #81 on: January 31, 2019, 05:06:02 PM »
birth by sleep also has some of the most convoluted shit in KH thus far. melding, command board, science projects

KISS - let me just level up and get abilities. done

Ability/Magic melding was the BEST. It's legit the only thing that KH3 is missing. Lets you make all kinds of game breaking abilities/magic early on.

Like the only memorable things from Dream Drop Distance are the doggies and flow motion and KH3 keeps both of those.

kingv

« Reply #82 on: January 31, 2019, 06:05:30 PM »
The game is stupid easy on Normal difficulty, but it's a lot of fun. My daughter and I got up to the beginning of Toy Box last night and she's having a blast helping.

When you say “helping”, does it have co op?!

Bebpo

« Reply #83 on: January 31, 2019, 08:30:08 PM »
I hope the success of this game convinces Square to just make some damn ps2 style games with modern graphics, because hey it works. I mean DQ11 was sorta like that too.

Imagine what an FF game that just played like 7-12 with super nice visuals would be like. Don’t need to reinvent the wheel, ps1/2 games worked.

This game is making me want to play FF15 tho finally with all its FF references. Maybe I’ll play that next.

« Reply #84 on: January 31, 2019, 09:34:22 PM »
There are way more references to Final Fantasy than I expected. Cloud, Auron, Dissida NT summons.

When you say “helping”, does it have co op?!

No, she just sits with me on the couch.

We have a lot of fun playing co-op LEGO Harry Potter, though.
野球

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #85 on: February 01, 2019, 03:00:48 PM »
I'm not really seeing much depth or variety with combat, encounters, or what you actually do moment to moment. Cutscene, mob of generic enemies show up, spam magic that's an elemental counter to enemies, hit the 80 button prompts that show up, mash attack to get those prompts back, and repeat.

Also, the number of cutscenes that take you out of gameplay, only to show you an enemy you're going to fighting 15 seconds later....it's quite ridiculous.
Yeah, with the amount of stuff the game pushes at you I can't say depth would be the right word. Or at least as far as regular gameplay goes.

I guess I was trying to get at the mechanics having the potential for depth (parries/launchers/keyblade switching/flowmotion/focus/elementals/meals) but in reality the game is a lot more of a spectacle than I'd like.

Still really, really fun though.

This is all very true. There's a lot of individual mechanics, with how encounters were planned and designed tho, it doesn't feel like there's intent or practicality for them.

Also, I find the world design to be really fucking weird. Going back to Olympus after finishing Twilight Town, and there barely being any enemy encounters, no NPCs to talk to, minigames are spread out in really peculiar places. With the size and vast emptiness of these worlds, I forget Im in a Disney location.  :maf

The spectacle during combat is fun, combat in general is fun, but I get a really heavy feeling that this could've been a 12-16 hour linear action game. In general too, and this isn't a flaw, this feels like a game that would be great for a kid's first RPG.
OH!

Bebpo

« Reply #86 on: February 02, 2019, 03:32:48 AM »
A few worlds in now and maaaan, I really like this game. Nothing is too deep but there's just enough depth, exploration & everything is varied. The game constantly throws new mini-games and moves and spells and stuff at you (even with the gummi ship stuff) that it's always fun. The collectible hunt is pretty enjoyable too with the hidden mickeys and chests.

Like for instance
4th world in full spoilers
I thought the Tangled world was just alright with generic rpg forest/swamp that all looks the same map, but then you get to the city and OH CRAP HD TOWNS ARE NOT HARD THIS LOOKS AMAZING. And then the dancing mini-game which was greaaaaat and then the final boss fight was pretty fun (knocking monster off the tower -> dive bomb attacking them is satisfying). So in the end it was a pretty enjoyable world. Plus they nailed the character models & animation.

Oh yeah and then the keyblade you get from tangled world lets you make fucking clones to whoop ass on an enemy from all directions. Good stuff.
[close]

If the game keeps it up, might be up there with Bloodborne as my fav AAA game this gen.

Freyj

« Reply #87 on: February 03, 2019, 02:34:55 AM »
Post Game Spoilers

There really isn’t one. Buy KH3FM in a few years I guess.
[close]

Secret Movie Spoilers

I like TWEWY as much as the next guy but if they wasted the secret ending for this on an ad for god damn crossover paid DLC I swear to christ.
[close]

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #88 on: February 04, 2019, 03:43:59 AM »
Post Game Spoilers

There really isn’t one. Buy KH3FM in a few years I guess.
[close]

Secret Movie Spoilers

I like TWEWY as much as the next guy but if they wasted the secret ending for this on an ad for god damn crossover paid DLC I swear to christ.
[close]

Considering how goddamn long it took them to make this game of course they're going to milk it for a good while yet.
[close]
Hi

« Reply #89 on: February 04, 2019, 12:05:28 PM »
Finished up Monsters Inc. yesterday, today is a snow day so maybe we'll get through Frozen.
野球

« Reply #90 on: February 05, 2019, 08:39:21 PM »
Frozen world was boring as fuck.

And of course they had to throw in two songs. My daughter even thought that was weird. "Why didn't Tangled get songs, that's a better movie Dad."
野球

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #91 on: February 05, 2019, 10:39:05 PM »

And of course they had to throw in two songs. My daughter even thought that was weird. "Why didn't Tangled get songs, that's a better movie Dad."

GENIUS CHILD CONFIRMED.

Tangled was a much better movie than Frozen.

Himu

« Reply #92 on: February 06, 2019, 09:20:40 AM »
Tangled is only better because because of the extra songs they put in Frozen which ruin the pacing. The snowman is a waste of a character and the troll people didn’t need their own song but yes tangled owns
IYKYK

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #93 on: February 06, 2019, 10:14:05 AM »
Mulan was also a better movie than Frozen.

Himu

« Reply #94 on: February 06, 2019, 10:28:03 AM »
The Lion King is blatant theft. I don’t think they’ve ever had a Lion King world ever in KH and I’m pretty sure it’s because it’s made by Japanese people.
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #95 on: February 06, 2019, 10:30:35 AM »
Pride Lands is in KH2 and gave us furry Sora

Himu

« Reply #96 on: February 06, 2019, 10:36:32 AM »
Oh right. I haven’t played KhII in yearrrrs. Not a fan.
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #97 on: February 06, 2019, 10:36:35 AM »
The Lion King is blatant theft. I don’t think they’ve ever had a Lion King world ever in KH and I’m pretty sure it’s because it’s made by Japanese people.

?????? i knew this nicca never played KH. sayin KH1 is a good game and now this.
fat

Himu

« Reply #98 on: February 06, 2019, 10:52:24 AM »
:lol

I haven’t played a kingdom hearts game since 2 and I haven’t played that game since release. I don’t remember shit and 1 is a great game.
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #99 on: February 06, 2019, 11:05:45 AM »
donald is a duck and yet looks so awkward as a bird ???

Himu

« Reply #100 on: February 06, 2019, 11:07:07 AM »
It’s his bill that does it.
IYKYK

« Reply #101 on: February 06, 2019, 01:31:44 PM »
The Pirates of the Caribbean world is gorgeous and those realistic textures on Donald and Goofy are impressive.

:lol

I haven’t played a kingdom hearts game since 2 and I haven’t played that game since release. I don’t remember shit and 1 is a great game.

The camera in KH1 makes me physically ill.
野球

« Reply #102 on: February 07, 2019, 12:43:38 AM »
And now I'm reminded of just how incredibly stupid the plot of the Pirates movies got after the super fun straightforward first one.
野球

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #103 on: February 07, 2019, 10:43:29 AM »
I'm having fun with this and all, but the run speed and general clunkiness of Sora's movement is throwing me off.  It definitely feels like an Unreal game.
püp

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #104 on: February 07, 2019, 10:57:44 AM »

Just say, "Oh, right. I was wrong." and move on. C'mon.

« Reply #105 on: February 07, 2019, 11:07:56 AM »

Just say, "Oh, right. I was wrong." and move on. C'mon.

When has that ever happened.

Pirates world was awesome. Sailing around, checking out islands, ship battles, etc.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 11:14:59 AM by Mr. Gundam »
野球

Bebpo

« Reply #106 on: February 11, 2019, 03:22:46 AM »
Getting near done. Been in media blackout the entire time and sorta expected there to be more Disney worlds than we got. I mean I get from a dev/budget perspective the worlds are way bigger than in past games and for the most part a lot better plus they look amazing, but still, so many properties not included  :'(

Still really happy with everything in it except

Thought the Monsters Inc. world was disappointing from my memories of that movie. Just a zzz factory run with like no story. Liked every other Disney world much better.
[close]

And it's only February but definitely GoTY contender for me. Love how much variety there is in the gameplay and the graphics are insane. I also like how a lot of stuff is like simple versions of gameplay from other games like

AC4 Black Flag and Vanquish
[close]

I liked it, but then I liked simple SSX, songs, snowball stuff, puzzles, snow effects. Went on a bit long (felt like the longest world at like 5 hours) but had fun.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 03:26:54 AM by Bebpo »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #107 on: February 11, 2019, 04:45:53 PM »
ど助平

« Reply #108 on: February 14, 2019, 07:29:15 PM »
San Fransokyo gave off some strong FFvXIII vibes, particularly those old screenshots we saw of battles occurring in "Shibuya."

Think I'm approaching the end game. Got all the Lucky Emblems and have managed to avoid spoilers concerning the secret ending, so that should be fun.
野球

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #109 on: February 14, 2019, 08:00:06 PM »
I just cannot get into this game.  The controls, battle system, and story/dialogue all feel worse than KH2
püp

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #110 on: February 15, 2019, 11:19:50 AM »

Bebpo

« Reply #111 on: February 18, 2019, 08:29:37 PM »
Finished this.

You know, yeah the end stuff is very rushed and underdeveloped and some nonsense, but for actually being able to take like 10 games worth of subplots and characters and wrap it all up, it's impressive. Glad it wasn't an MGS4-style trainwreck conclusion to the series.

Now that said, some of those final boss fights were grade A bullshit. SO MANY BOSS FIGHTS. I feel like the KH combat is totally great and fun for AoE crowd control during levels but 1 on 1 fights with enemies teleporting around and locking you in stun and piling on you is just ughhhhh. If I had died (and there were some damn close calls) in the last 2 fights I was ready to just youtube the ending to not deal with those fights again.

Overall Disney worlds were great, wish there were about 3-4 more.

Great game. Some really good highs, amazing animations (I love the frozen keyblade roller skate animations), big fun worlds, actual story conclusion.

Cons are the music is definitely a huge step down from the old games (whenever they play the KH1 opening music or KH2 Roxas theme or the BBS theme it's like night and day between the current stuff), could use a coliseum with cameo fights, could have less bullshit bosses/enemies, could have a few more worlds and have developed the original plot stuff more between them.

Bebpo

« Reply #112 on: February 18, 2019, 08:34:14 PM »
Also I was thinking that entire endgame that if someone was jumping into KH3 as their first KH, they may as well just take the disc out and shelve it after the last disney world. That endgame ain't gonna make a lick of sense for kids new to the series  :lol

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #113 on: February 18, 2019, 09:04:52 PM »
Game is stupid broken already - just spam Firaga lul
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #114 on: February 18, 2019, 09:07:51 PM »
I thought it was easy until the endgame bosses/final bosses. But apparently I was pretty low level. I finished it at lvl.39 and wasn't able to upgrade my keyblades even halfway because I was missing an upgrade material that's only in chests that I never found. I hear most people beat it around lvl.50 with like max keyblades. But I kinda rushed it after the disney stuff was done because just wanted to see how it ends and not go back and explore around for completion. Finished it a little shy of 30 hours.

Also the last couple bosses are totally built around blocking and I was using the Frozen keyblade at lvl.2/3 all the time which ....has no block -_-

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #115 on: February 18, 2019, 10:53:36 PM »
bro by endgame you're able to jump out of stuns and counter right into air combos
pcp

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #116 on: February 18, 2019, 10:56:54 PM »
also this game owned. tons of creative variety in the different worlds, super smooth gameplay. lots of obvious downsides to the game but it's still fun as shit. we do need that Final Mix dlc asap tho Nomura.
pcp

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #117 on: February 19, 2019, 12:17:28 AM »
I just finished Birth By Sleep. Just need to play 0.2 and I'm ready to FINISH THE FIGHT
fat

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #118 on: February 19, 2019, 10:07:50 AM »
what about kh3d
pcp

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #119 on: February 19, 2019, 10:42:20 AM »
I played that already on 3ds and no way i'm playing that slop again.

You only need to watch the last 15 minutes anyway to see the important shit

But for real though the special ending of BBS is an amazing setup for KH3. Got me all FIRED UP

S O R A
fat