Author Topic: Kingdom Hearts III  (Read 27089 times)

Re: Kingdom Hearts III
« Reply #180 on: January 22, 2020, 04:22:36 PM »
I got all the lucky emblems so that's cool. Just wasn't sure about scalable difficulty for the boss rush stuff.

Still, $30 seems really fucking steep for what is there.
野球

Bebpo

« Reply #181 on: January 22, 2020, 04:25:41 PM »
Still, $30 seems really fucking steep for what is there.

This is a company that sold .08 or whatever for $30-40 and that was like an hour plus some old remaster and a CG video.
Atlus sold 13 Sentinels first 4 hours as a "prologue" for $30.

Japan gaming as usual.

I mean this is actually a discount, SE is used to charging $70-90 for a final mix version of KH games a year later. We're lucky they're doing it as DLC this time.

« Reply #182 on: January 22, 2020, 04:27:22 PM »
Oh I know, and I don't see it going on sale any time soon, if ever.

YAY FOR DIGITAL COPY MASTER RACE.
野球

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #183 on: January 22, 2020, 05:00:17 PM »
Yozora fight in JPN

He revives himself to half health

Mmm yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM-AuvbExi0
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #184 on: January 22, 2020, 05:08:48 PM »
Also Yozora's English VA

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Dylan Sprouse aka Zack from Suite Life from Zack and Cody

[close]
fat

Coffee Dog

« Reply #185 on: January 22, 2020, 06:16:39 PM »
wait this doesn't update KH3 either? behind. the final mixes of 1 and 2 took those games from 3/5s to 5/5s and 3 really could've used some improvements. and 4 hours for the main campaign? I'll wait for a price drop. I'm sure what's there will be fun but that's just too much damn money for an afternoon of gaming.

To be fair, the changes that they made to the battle system  of KH3 are pretty good (they gave a bunch of moves to Sora that the community has been asking for), but it's nowhere near as extensive as the many extra scenes they added to 2FM or the total skill tree overhaul of 1FM.

I still stand by my assertion that there's no reason to buy this  DLC for more than $20 unless you consider yourself a KH superfan. It's pretty short for the price unless you want to throw yourself at the bosses on the hard difficulties for hours on end.

Chooky

« Reply #186 on: January 22, 2020, 06:52:59 PM »
I do like how Sora controls in KH3, but his moveset feels very limited with an over reliance on aoe attacks and very few magic options. also felt like there was fuck all customizability. it was fun to play but very shallow.

Bebpo

« Reply #187 on: January 22, 2020, 06:53:38 PM »
Did they ever tone down ride attraction moves and magic spamming?

Coffee Dog

« Reply #188 on: January 22, 2020, 07:03:35 PM »
Did they ever tone down ride attraction moves and magic spamming?

On critical, you can take an ability for 1 AP that turns off attractions and gives you extra form changes instead. You also have the option to disable them through the challenge modifiers that they're adding when the DLC unlocks.

Coffee Dog

« Reply #189 on: January 23, 2020, 02:42:38 AM »
I...dont really like how this is structured? The main game's ending already has a part where you replay a section of it twice, and this takes place both after the ending of the game and is simultaneously a retelling of the ending but expanded. So to feel like you experienced the full story you'd need to play the game's ending twice and it's longer the second time.

Like, I was hoping more that Remind was an ending replacement, but instead it feels more like a bolted on extension.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 02:52:58 AM by Coffee Dog »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

Rman

« Reply #191 on: January 23, 2020, 07:33:39 AM »
I had fun with KH3, but it wasn't anything special. It reminded me of a PS2 game--in a bad way. Is this DLC worth it?

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #192 on: January 23, 2020, 11:12:57 AM »
The DLC is mostly for people who want end-game experiences, with the data fights and secret boss. The actual "ReMind" story campaign seems pretty meh for $30
fat

Coffee Dog

« Reply #193 on: January 23, 2020, 01:56:15 PM »
Calling it a story campaign is generous; it's literally just the end of the game again. You get to see all the same cutscenes again, with certain scenes extended, but it also definitely isnt just the end of the game because at the end you fight a different final boss and it also doesnt retell the final boss fight despite forcing you to replay literally every encounter prior.

This would have been so much better as actual extra scenes applied to the base game; it's like a weird, jarring clip show. Or viewing deleted scenes in the dvd extras. What it definitely isnt is an improvement.

It's amazing how the format itself assassinated the storytelling; this needed to be a final mix, rather than a seperate, disjointed experience. I paid thirty bucks for this, but christ i wish i just paid sixty for final mix and could resell my old copy. And new customers would be able to pay $60 for a fixed game rather than $90 for a story that is still told in such an awkward fashion.

The bulk of the new story seems to be located after the limit cut (boss rush) anyway, and thats where all the good fights are, so...what is the point of Remind? Why do it this way? Why not just fix the ending for free, for everyone, and charge me $30 for limit cut? The game is not better for this. The gameplay fixes and limit cut are the only things of worth.  :lol

Tl;dr Remind is three hours but theres maybe half an hour of new shit, a couple great new setpieces and fights. The rest is exactly the same as the end of KH3.

I am like,  :drudge red alert klaxons blaring :drudge asking you all not to buy this until it's at least half off. The boss fights are awesome but that's basically all you get.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 02:07:43 PM by Coffee Dog »

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #194 on: January 23, 2020, 02:03:51 PM »
It's called Remind cause it reminds you of the shit game you just played.

Coffee Dog

« Reply #195 on: January 23, 2020, 02:15:31 PM »
The biggest change of all is the gameplay improvements to Sora's moveset in the base game, and I wasn't required to pay thirty dollars for that.  :goty2

Bebpo

« Reply #196 on: January 23, 2020, 02:24:48 PM »
Calling it a story campaign is generous; it's literally just the end of the game again. You get to see all the same cutscenes again, with certain scenes extended, but it also definitely isnt just the end of the game because at the end you fight a different final boss and it also doesnt retell the final boss fight despite forcing you to replay literally every encounter prior.

This would have been so much better as actual extra scenes applied to the base game; it's like a weird, jarring clip show. Or viewing deleted scenes in the dvd extras. What it definitely isnt is an improvement.

It's amazing how the format itself assassinated the storytelling; this needed to be a final mix, rather than a seperate, disjointed experience. I paid thirty bucks for this, but christ i wish i just paid sixty for final mix and could resell my old copy. And new customers would be able to pay $60 for a fixed game rather than $90 for a story that is still told in such an awkward fashion.

The bulk of the new story seems to be located after the limit cut (boss rush) anyway, and thats where all the good fights are, so...what is the point of Remind? Why do it this way? Why not just fix the ending for free, for everyone, and charge me $30 for limit cut? The game is not better for this. The gameplay fixes and limit cut are the only things of worth.  :lol

Tl;dr Remind is three hours but theres maybe half an hour of new shit, a couple great new setpieces and fights. The rest is exactly the same as the end of KH3.

I am like,  :drudge red alert klaxons blaring :drudge asking you all not to buy this until it's at least half off. The boss fights are awesome but that's basically all you get.

Shit, I bought and installed this last night.

Yeah, I'm not super interested in replaying the old game (I generally have an aversion to replaying content I've already played in games because it feels like a waste of my time). So the "Campaign" is replaying the last 3 hours of the game with a few new cutscenes/set pieces/boss fights and then...1 hour of new story/boss fights/true ending?

I'm assuming in the replay of the last 3 hours they've tweaked all the XIII boss fights to be better/cooler fights now? So at least it should feel fresh replaying those fights? Or are the fights the exact same and those refreshed boss fights are saved for some data boss fights elsewhere?

I guess at the end of the day at least since I liked KH3 and it's a fun action game there are worse things than replaying 3 hours of it (and it sounds like there's no Xenohart in chess land fight again which was the only part of the last 3 hours I didn't like, that fight went on forever and was frustratingly annoying), so will run through it over the weekend.

If I haven't touched the main game since launch when I beat it, are a lot of things different now?

The biggest change of all is the gameplay improvements to Sora's moveset in the base game, and I wasn't required to pay thirty dollars for that.  :goty2

Am I gonna notice these changes or are they hidden in menus on critical mode that I'll never notice?

Coffee Dog

« Reply #197 on: January 23, 2020, 02:43:36 PM »

Shit, I bought and installed this last night.

Yeah, I'm not super interested in replaying the old game (I generally have an aversion to replaying content I've already played in games because it feels like a waste of my time). So the "Campaign" is replaying the last 3 hours of the game with a few new cutscenes/set pieces/boss fights and then...1 hour of new story/boss fights/true ending?

I'm assuming in the replay of the last 3 hours they've tweaked all the XIII boss fights to be better/cooler fights now? So at least it should feel fresh replaying those fights? Or are the fights the exact same and those refreshed boss fights are saved for some data boss fights elsewhere?

I guess at the end of the day at least since I liked KH3 and it's a fun action game there are worse things than replaying 3 hours of it (and it sounds like there's no Xenohart in chess land fight again which was the only part of the last 3 hours I didn't like, that fight went on forever and was frustratingly annoying), so will run through it over the weekend.

If I haven't touched the main game since launch when I beat it, are a lot of things different now?

Am I gonna notice these changes or are they hidden in menus on critical mode that I'll never notice?

So luckily, the new abilities for sora are granted from the beginning of the game. They're just available in the ability menu as soon as you access it in Hercules and you can equip them as soon as you can afford the AP cost. They're a part of the free update, so I can honestly recommend people grab KH3 (and play it on Crit) now that it's cheap. It's a better action game than it was a year ago.

But Remind...there's a few new bosses. But largely in terms of gameplay you are replaying the old bosses but as alternate characters. The crazy over the top redone boss fights are limited to the Data Battle Limit Cut stuff.

Coming fresh out the other side, my recommendation for playing this is really, dont waste your time. If you feel like you already watched a scene, skip it. I'm never going to replay this without skipping scenes now that I've beaten it once. There's some really good new scenes in the last half hour/hour (stuff that the base game needed, but this isnt the real ending of the game, so...) , but they straight up padded this to shit with repeated old content so that people wouldnt beat it so quickly and it shows.

"Messy shitshow plagued by weird development problems" is still my verdict on this. Honestly, my opinion of the ending has sunk even more now that they fumbled what should have been an obvious final mix style re edit by making it a seperate entity for thirty bucks.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #198 on: January 23, 2020, 02:53:16 PM »
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #199 on: January 23, 2020, 02:56:53 PM »
Very strange.

I thought KH3 was really polished and well done but it was clear the endgame was rushed with too many characters and boss fights thrown one after another to wrap up subplots.

I would’ve thought this a remixed endgame would’ve focused on fixing this into a director’s cut more satisfying and better paced endgame/ending. But it sounds like it’s still a mess, just a different mess.

So basically the result of the last year of updates it seems is:

-base KH3 game is same good game but plays a lot better, same story and rushed ending. No story final mix cut, but gameplay is basically final mixed without new boss fights or gameplay segments.

-remind/limit cut a weird side bonus for fans that’s about 3-4 hours long of some new fights & story with a bunch of padding.

Coffee Dog

« Reply #200 on: January 23, 2020, 03:05:30 PM »
That's the long and short of it, yeah. If you didnt have to beat Remind to unlock Limit Cut and the data battles, I'd advise just starting with them and save Remind for a bored afternoon. Each of them has very unique mechanics and each an original song remix (!) and is clearly where all the effort went.

Bebpo

« Reply #201 on: January 23, 2020, 03:29:19 PM »
Thanks. Limit Cut sounds good, so will just try to blow through Remind as quick as possible to get there and then enjoy that.

Definitely sounds like this should’ve been like a $10-15 dlc lol

bluemax

« Reply #202 on: January 23, 2020, 10:28:25 PM »
So I read some spoilers about the ending to this DLC and Nomura is either really leaning into embracing the concept of self mockery or he's going for an epic salty runback.

ENDING SPOILER
[close]
NO

Bebpo

« Reply #203 on: January 23, 2020, 10:35:31 PM »
I think people are just stirring up stuff to be dumb.

The Versus XIII stuff in KH is pretty clearly a joke/nod to their work on Versus XIII that got canned. People who think it's going to be some Major KH part of the next storyline is lol, it's going to essentially be a cameo bit like the FF characters in KH.

bluemax

« Reply #204 on: January 23, 2020, 10:43:01 PM »
I think people are just stirring up stuff to be dumb.

The Versus XIII stuff in KH is pretty clearly a joke/nod to their work on Versus XIII that got canned. People who think it's going to be some Major KH part of the next storyline is lol, it's going to essentially be a cameo bit like the FF characters in KH.

I feel that's the most likely outcome unless they're letting Nomura go full batshit. But like the opening of KH3 makes a ton of jokes about how stupid the titles have gotten and how long the game took, and I feel like this is just self awareness of the ridiculousness now.

[close]
NO

Bebpo

« Reply #205 on: January 23, 2020, 11:57:38 PM »
Died on the first boss of remind. Not great dumping straight into a fight. Don’t remember how to play.

Beat it on second try using items and healing and playing defensively but still was close. Need some grunts to mess around with and remember how to play.

Bebpo

« Reply #206 on: January 24, 2020, 02:21:10 AM »
Ok, in ReMind got to the new ending world and the 2nd section of it. Gonna take a break here and finish it next session.

Got back in the hang of the combat and it reminds me that I really like the combat when it works and when it doesn't it's annoying. I can play DMC/NG: Black/Bayo on higher levels and can make it through Sekiro counters and stuff but KH combat at the higher levels/difficulty just doesn't click with me.

Basically when it's a 1 on 1 fight I enjoy it. I can learn the boss patterns and generally figure out when to guard counter/reflect and when to dodge and when to air dodge. My only issues in 1 on 1 fights is

1) I'll guard and hit the button prompt to start my counter combo and then a few hits in the boss will just not give a fuck and start a combo on me and do like 50% of my life or more. Not sure if you're supposed to just counter and 1-2 hits and then wait and counter again instead of counter -> mash combo out.

2) A lot of times I'll counter and then combo the enemy into the air and then they drop down to the ground and I'm just floating in the air and it puts me in a really bad spot because my guard only guards in front and the enemy is about to fuck me up from below.

fwiw the guard counter being only in front of you combined with the camera being less than great at tracking plus your moves move you around A TON and so do the boss moves make it way harder than most character action games for me to make sure I'm standing facing the boss in front of me at all times so my counter works. Half the time my guard counter timing is fine but I'm facing the wrong direction and eat a combo.

Now when it's more than 1 boss...it's a fucking mess. I'll be trying to watch a boss to guard counter and get hit from the side or back by another boss or the billion things of spam they throw out. This also applies to normal enemy mobs when you can't just mash through them. Like the first section in the new end world has these sword enemies that reflect if you hit their front as well as these flying ones with red cubes surrounding them which seem to reflect all physical damage? So if I just try to mash mobs I can't hit them and get stunlocked and eat a ton of damage. Ended up using the shootlock which I never bother with to kill the red cube floating ones and magic for the sword ones, but it's tough to track everything at once with the camera. I'm using the pirates keyblade (don't have ultima or anything). Also wish you could turn off ride attractions in normal (though to be fair they help on the harder mobs, but don't like them in boss fights).

I didn't really notice the 7 new move abilities that they added for Sora. None of them have button presses in their description so they seem like situational new moves but I'm not noticing them.

Bebpo

« Reply #207 on: January 24, 2020, 02:29:39 AM »
In terms of ReMind so far, if my memory is correct and these are the new additions:

+New opening cutscene with Master of Masters talking to young Master Xenohart
+KH3 Secret Boss at the start in Ventus bit
+Was the fight against Terra Xenahort with Sora during the Armor Knight fight new? Seemed new to me. Wish it let you play as the Armored Knight in that fight in this one.

Then generally the same for most of the fights? Didn't really notice anything new besides being able to play as Riku or Aqua. Is the Mickey fight new? I don't remember a fight where you do link moves with Mickey in the original? But then

+Being able to play as dual-sword Roxas in the 352/8 days portion is new, right? I don't remember playing as Roxas. Same with the cutscene after with the triangle and Xs? Seemed new. If so that's a nice addition. Really enjoyed playing as Roxas.

Then pretty much the same (is the 3 way link move with Riku & Mickey in the boss fights where you make the magic circle new?) until this last bit where you're chasing Kairi and fighting tough normal mobs for what looks like 5 sections instead of final boss Master Xen.
[close]

If that's the sum of it, then I generally do like this director's cut version just because the 352/8 Days portion of the the endgame is fleshed out a bit better and more like BBS got. That plus the opening scene gives a better version of this endgame and it is too bad there isn't just a final mix version of the main game you can replay with this version of the endgame fights. The fights in this section are still really fun, great music and look great.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 02:43:55 AM by Bebpo »

Bebpo

« Reply #208 on: January 24, 2020, 04:45:10 AM »
Damn, beat Remind. That was awesooooome*

I thought KH3 had a pretty good satisfying conclusion to the whole series to date.
But man, ReMind's essentially True Ending route is way better and a fantastic finish to the series to this point. Really satisfying end stuff.

And you get to PLAY AS MICKEY MOUSE AND LASER PEOPLE TO DEATH omggggggggggggg
Plus the team fight before that is super cool, emotionally satisfying and looks amazing

And the new final boss, while easy, is satisfying playing as Kairi and doing LOVE ANGEL WING attacks with Sora
[close]

ReMind is a bit weird as a standalone, but it's generally all good satisfying stuff for KH story fans. Even without Limit Cut, this would be pretty satisfying. Took me about 5 hours looking at my save at the start and clear data save.
Between the free update stuff which seems to have improved/fixed the gameplay in the main game (though turning off rides ability really needed to be in lower difficulties) and ReMind which gives it an even better final world/ending, KH3 is a pretty darn great & satisfying KH game overall. It barely made my top10 list in 2019, but if I had played it now with the gameplay changes and this ending it'd have been higher up for sure.

*if you've been a fan of the series since KH1 and played all the games and been along the whole ride
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 04:49:53 AM by Bebpo »

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #209 on: January 24, 2020, 07:15:40 AM »
I watched 15 mins of the giant bomb quick look of this and I think I caught autism :stahp
(ice)

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #210 on: January 24, 2020, 09:01:41 AM »
So I read some spoilers about the ending to this DLC and Nomura is either really leaning into embracing the concept of self mockery or he's going for an epic salty runback.

ENDING SPOILER
[close]
wait is that noctis? wtf is this game?

Coffee Dog

« Reply #211 on: January 24, 2020, 11:16:22 AM »
Also, The World Ends With You characters show up in DDD and in the secret ending to KH3 both Versus 13 and TWEWY are mirrored. It's not just Noctis, he's pulling pretty hard from his "Things I got cancelled" pile.

Bebpo

« Reply #212 on: January 24, 2020, 11:30:48 AM »
Or he's just putting in cameo stuff from games he's worked on since those mean more to him.

Bebpo

« Reply #213 on: January 24, 2020, 12:33:03 PM »
spoiler shots of all the gorgeous crazy re:mind ending stuff

[close]

Ending definitely gave me good feels.

Also

Sora jesus cuddling dying mickey shot lolll

[close]

Coffee Dog

« Reply #214 on: January 24, 2020, 01:40:14 PM »
Or he's just putting in cameo stuff from games he's worked on since those mean more to him.

I'm just saying, as far as Nomura is concerned, Versus XIII and TWEWY2 are just sleeping worlds that live on inside of his heart, ready for Sora to wake them up. :heart

Bebpo

« Reply #215 on: January 24, 2020, 09:35:46 PM »
So I tried limit cut and it.does.not.fuck.around.

I sorta hoped/thought that it would only be insane high level fights on critical for critical players and normal difficulty fights would be more normal. But nope, die in like 5 seconds. About 100x harder than any Re:Mind boss.
So instead of being sane and normal since I've never done anything in KH above normal. The hardcore character action purist in me decided to keep retrying the first fight I tried (young Xehanort, first door on the left) over and over and over for 2 hours straight until I learned every fucking move and combo he does and could parry every hit of them in my sleep.

The most annoying bit is I got the first half of the fight down like 99% and could parry and counter every freaking attack and felt good about myself. But then in the second half he changed up his combo and its timings and he'd basically instant kill me 2-3 mins into the fight before I could even learn any of his 2nd half stuff. Repeat for another 30-60 mins of doing the first 2-3 mins perfect and then dying in one combo on the second half ><

In the run I beat him I figured out that his new combo, at least with my setup, HAS NO OPENINGS and it was better to just parry it all and wait for him to do something else which has openings afterwards that you can counter back.

Oh and not having played critical or KH2 FM data stuff, what was fucking me up in KH vs other character action games is I'd guard & counter and when I did my counter move I'd eat their next hit and die. I learned after a bit that the safest way to play this kind of damage level Kingdom Hearts is you figure out how many hits their combo/move is and then parry them all until the last one and then counter after the last hit, otherwise you're gonna counter into their next hit and eat it and die. I sorta thought it was like character action games where when you guard counter you're basically invincible to hit on the counter.

Another thing that was probably fucking me is my gear is SHIT since I just played the original game normally and didn't go for any endgame gear. My keyblade is from Pirates and is only at lvl.2 or 3 with 8 attack damage and 5 magic damage. My defense stuff is like 2 DEF, 4 DEF, 5 DEF items equipped and my accessories are mostly just AP+ ones. I'm lvl.42 and not using any food (don't have any). I feel like if I for instance, had the Ultima keyblade (I have over 55 unique items of the 58 needed to unlock it, so just need to find 3 or less) + better DEF gear items & accessories and was maybe some levels higher I'd be doing a lot more damage speeding it up and also taking less making it easier to survive.

If I decide to do any of the other data battles I think I'll load up my save in the main KH game and try to gear up and level up some first before doing the rest.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #216 on: January 24, 2020, 09:49:47 PM »
Get good pussy, welcome to the real Kingdom Hearts
fat

Chooky

« Reply #217 on: January 24, 2020, 10:46:51 PM »
jacknicholsonnod.gif

it sounds silly to say and no one ever fucking believes it, but hardcore KH stuff gives DMC a run for it's money

Bebpo

« Reply #218 on: January 24, 2020, 11:38:34 PM »
haha, but yeah it sounds like I was really, really underleveled and geared which was probably making it 2x as hard as it should've been. Been leveling since and got from 42->51 and now gonna spend a few hours trying to make the ultima weapon before I go back and attempt the other data battles.

I never cleared out the endgame KH3 stuff, so I guess now I am! I heard I gotta do a bunch of shitty mini-games though to get the ultima weapon mats so I'll see if that destroys my will to play more.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #219 on: January 24, 2020, 11:54:39 PM »
Oathkeeper is probably easier to get and it's "just as good" as Ultima
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #220 on: January 25, 2020, 12:04:57 AM »
Ah, that's the hidden mickeys one, right?

Probably faster, but also requires wasting a bunch of hours doing dumb stuff (using a guide and getting all the lucky emblems), so will only go for it if the minigames give me trouble.

Bebpo

« Reply #221 on: January 25, 2020, 01:44:51 AM »
Ok, just looked into all the shit you have to do to get the ultima weapon. This would take a dozen hours of misery. NOPE.

Gonna go get all the lucky emblems and get Oathbringer instead.

Bebpo

« Reply #222 on: January 25, 2020, 05:05:17 AM »
Grinded to lvl.99, but was kinda pointless because these fights still seem pretty near impossible going in blind. I beat one other after a few tries and a couple got to the 2nd half phases, but there's a lot where I couldn't even figure out wtf was going on and how to get an attack in. So much unguardable shit and my general reaction when anything is coming towards me is to guard, also everything just moves so lightning fast and extremely high damage.

Will check out some guides for the fights to figure out the movesets and what is going on, but probably done with this. This kind of KH gameplay isn't really my cup of tea. Feels way harder than even the endgame Sekiro stuff because KH's data battles move so much faster, have tons of projectile spam everywhere and there's less time to react to things. Seems punishingly hard for masochists only.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #223 on: January 25, 2020, 11:54:14 AM »
Yea bitch stay in your lane
fat

Coffee Dog

« Reply #224 on: January 25, 2020, 12:31:31 PM »
Yeah, as much as I like pushing KH3's combat to the limit, the insane amount of armor and projectile spam from these bosses just destroys your ability to press the attack and go on the offensive, which means that for every boss the strategy is the same; playing totally defensive and die over and over until you learn to block everything.

Games like metal gear rising and devil may cry usually give you more decision making or opportunities to...do something. Parry or attack from range or whatever. In these fights if you deviate from the gameplan you just get your ass slapped for half your health if youre lucky, down to second chance if not, and the boss just armors through making your attack pointless because you dont get anything out of it.

I'm still on my proud save and I'll kill them all, even though I only beat Riku so far. I paid thirty bucks and I swear on Nomura's soul that I'll extract every cent of value from this shit. I dont have the secret boss spoiled yet so I'm insistent on this.

Bebpo

« Reply #225 on: January 25, 2020, 01:07:46 PM »
I watched some vids of the fights and ultima weapon really seems essential. The vids I'm watching they're doing 2 full lifebars of damage per combo and melting the limit cut bosses so fast that they skip a lot of the tougher boss mechanics (plus these fights are endurance matches to survive). Use ultima for a few successful counter combos -> simba to skip the really hard DM sections -> get a couple combos and fights over. Even at level 99 with just generic mid-level keyblade I do about 1 lifebar on a succesful counter combo.

I looked it up since I never needed to max out my keyblades in the main story and most of the mats I'm missing are from...the gummi ship segments???
no wonder, I didn't spend much time in the gummi ship. Also that seems really stupid to put your main weapon upgrade mats there instead of drops from enemies you fight.

Coffee Dog

« Reply #226 on: January 25, 2020, 01:15:14 PM »
All the keyblade upgrade stuff you get from blowing up rocks, so at least it doesnt take long. You dont have to go get in fights, just load the gummi map and find an asteroid belt.

I dont have ultima myself, but maximized oathkeeper is clearly the MVP and a step ahead of the main game blades, so i'm just using that.

Bebpo

« Reply #227 on: January 25, 2020, 01:27:02 PM »
Yeah oathbringer sounds good, but all the vids I'm watching people are using ultima, so it seems slightly better but don't have either so can't compare. Since there's no way I'm getting Ultima, getting Oathbringer is probably my only chance for a good weapon.

Like on Vanitas I got his initial moves down, but when he goes in the battle cage DM I die. I watched a clear vid and they kill him before he even gets to the 2nd DM (with the keyblade riding being the first DM), so the vid wasn't really helpful for learning how to survive that bit lol

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #228 on: January 25, 2020, 01:53:29 PM »
Endgame content for endgame gear. How weird
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #229 on: January 25, 2020, 06:38:49 PM »
Endgame content for endgame gear. How weird

When you gonna play this demi.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #230 on: January 25, 2020, 07:18:39 PM »
When it comes out for Xbox
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #231 on: January 25, 2020, 07:29:58 PM »
When it comes out for Xbox

Oh, didn't realize the xbox one comes later. Ok, good luck with it.

Bebpo

« Reply #232 on: January 26, 2020, 04:12:36 AM »
I watched all the limit cut cutscenes and it's even more clear the Versus stuff is just a cameo/nod.

Yozora straight up says to Sora this appearance isn't what I look like, meaning the Yozora character will be part of the next story but he's not going to be Noctics. That's just a cameo thing they did for KH3.

Also pretty clear next game is a spinoff like CoM/Re:Coded where you play through Riku, Kairi and ???'s memories to try to find a clue to where Sora is.
[close]

Coffee Dog

« Reply #233 on: January 26, 2020, 10:57:27 AM »
If it's just a cameo, then there isn't a reason to make him distinct from Noctis. This is Kingdom Hearts, they could have just used Noctis. Instead they used a lookalike that calls to mind Versus, specifically.

Nomura is not anywhere near a subtle man, and
having Sora, who is trapped in the land of the dead, fight a character from a dead game on top of a building from another dead game
[close]
is a bit much to say it's just another cameo.

Edit: I also dont think this is "Salty Nomura" or Nomura raging against the machine or whatever other silly KH fans are assuming. I dont think the final boss of the next KH game will be Square Enix's management. It's Kingdom Hearts, it's going to have a positive message, even if its something as simple as "belief can give life even to something you thought was totally lost".
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 03:04:10 PM by Coffee Dog »

Bebpo

« Reply #234 on: January 27, 2020, 02:11:55 AM »
Spent 2 hours trying to learn Larxene (I already had beat her, but it was just lucky mashing so I wanted to learn the fight proper). This was my best run but I still had to cheese through the second DM with rage form.

I don't think I have the patience to spend 2-4 hours per boss trying to learn their every pattern. The non-DM stuff is hard enough but doable (feels like a DMC fight), but the DMs are ridiculous and half the stuff coming at you is from off-screen so you're basically playing blind. Too frustrating for me.

« Reply #235 on: January 27, 2020, 01:21:35 PM »
Ah, that's the hidden mickeys one, right?

Probably faster, but also requires wasting a bunch of hours doing dumb stuff (using a guide and getting all the lucky emblems), so will only go for it if the minigames give me trouble.

Lucky Emblems weren't hard to get and didn't take much time. I beat the game in 36 hours and that included getting the LEs.
野球

Bebpo

« Reply #236 on: January 27, 2020, 03:11:08 PM »
Oathbringer and the accessory/def gear from the lucky emblems makes a big difference. I googled on youtube to find videos of good players doing the Larxene fight so I could watch how they get through the DMs that I couldn't figure out.

What I found was every goddamn video of Larxene on youtube was someone playing 1000x worse than I did in my video. They don't know any of her attacks, how to dodge/guard them, how to counter them, they literally just use Oathbringer or Ultima weapon and fucking mash the fights using air recovery to get in combos and healing and win.  :doge I couldn't find one fucking player that actually was playing the fight right and avoiding the enemy attacks. They do this on the secret boss because you have to, but on bosses like Larxene, you can mash through it with OP gear.

It definitely discourages me from wanting to play this when I feel like I'm putting in hours of effort learning the fights, and most people are just blitzing through mashing them with great gear and still win. I either need to gear up or give up at this point.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #237 on: January 27, 2020, 03:35:13 PM »
fat

Chooky

« Reply #238 on: January 27, 2020, 07:35:38 PM »
Oathbringer and the accessory/def gear from the lucky emblems makes a big difference. I googled on youtube to find videos of good players doing the Larxene fight so I could watch how they get through the DMs that I couldn't figure out.

What I found was every goddamn video of Larxene on youtube was someone playing 1000x worse than I did in my video. They don't know any of her attacks, how to dodge/guard them, how to counter them, they literally just use Oathbringer or Ultima weapon and fucking mash the fights using air recovery to get in combos and healing and win.  :doge I couldn't find one fucking player that actually was playing the fight right and avoiding the enemy attacks. They do this on the secret boss because you have to, but on bosses like Larxene, you can mash through it with OP gear.

It definitely discourages me from wanting to play this when I feel like I'm putting in hours of effort learning the fights, and most people are just blitzing through mashing them with great gear and still win. I either need to gear up or give up at this point.

would sticking "no damage" in your search help? it might be too early for someone to have a vid like that up, but those are always the most impressive/helpful to me for obvious reasons.

Coffee Dog

« Reply #239 on: February 06, 2020, 11:12:06 AM »
It has been damn near 20 years, but I killed Xehanort, kicked all thirteen of his asses. No ultima weapon, Proud, no kupo coins, no item farm (i just used hi ethers). Don't know if i want to dedicate an afternoon to the secret boss. The data battles were fun, but I preferred the 2FM data fights (and basically prefer 2's Final Mix style of additions to the DLC in general)

After you clear the data fights, you can talk to Cid and he says "A hard year's work, all for nuthin'!"
it encapsulated my experience with Remind so perfectly I wanted the game to cut to credits right there.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 11:16:37 AM by Coffee Dog »