Author Topic: River Of Slime |OT| Mission: Impossible  (Read 3796385 times)

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
Re: River Of Slime |OT| Mission: Impossible
« Reply #31200 on: July 16, 2019, 10:05:42 PM »
Only a centrist would have to ask that question

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #31201 on: July 16, 2019, 10:09:16 PM »
I can't decide whether this reflexive anti-centrism is worse or better than back when all these same people used to say things like "well, I'm a moderate/centrist, but I support Democrats lockstep and wish they would nationalize everything and toss Republican bodies in a mass grave" ten years ago before they had their mid-life millennial crisis about being a white male.

Although the language is definitely funnier when you're saying things like "no offense, but are you a centrist?"

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #31202 on: July 16, 2019, 10:16:50 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/redlettermedia-ot-very-cruel.804/page-129#post-22813849

Quote from: halfbeast
on the flipside we got

mod edit: let's not link to sites like this

it's all just a contest who can point and laugh the loudest.

nothing has been achieved, though. but I guess, that's not a priority.

used to link to this

https://www.reddit.com/r/Drama/comments/cdvtx3/resetera_finds_rlm_content_very_problematic/

:heh
Uncle

benjipwns

« Reply #31203 on: July 16, 2019, 10:18:30 PM »
I like the fact that he suspects him of being a centrist because he perceives him to be taking 'umbrage' with advocates of anti-racism. As if like being a centrist literally means you take the centre on every issue.

"Well I'm a centrist so while I think racism isn't necessarily good thing, it is not that bad either. I take a completely neutral stance on the whole racism thing".

I'm not sure why the word moderate suddenly disappeared from the national lexicon and was replaced with centrist which implies a rhetorical position literally no one holds

EDIT: I know you're saying that's not what a centrist is but I mean it's too easy to fall into that trap, or just assume so in bad faith as era does, and I think moderate is a much better descriptor of someone whose views fall in between
They aren't describing a moderate or a centrist, both of which are purely relative positions and can therefore hold quite distinct and intense positions on certain topics. They're instead describing what was once called a cipher.

What they're actually condemning though is anyone who takes a contrary view to their own positions while refusing to accept the position of their perceived enemies.

Lonewulfeus

• Former Unofficial Ambassador to ResetEra
« Reply #31204 on: July 16, 2019, 10:20:37 PM »
You just don’t go calling someone a centrist without proof, these accusations can effect people’s livelihoods.

Effect....  :rage

/shosta

benjipwns

« Reply #31205 on: July 16, 2019, 10:22:16 PM »
A centrist would probably have no problem with affect and effect being the same.

benjipwns

« Reply #31206 on: July 16, 2019, 10:24:17 PM »

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #31207 on: July 16, 2019, 10:28:48 PM »
A centrist would probably have no problem with affect and effect being the same.

a centrist would write æffect
Uncle

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #31208 on: July 16, 2019, 10:30:47 PM »
Uncle

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #31209 on: July 16, 2019, 10:31:11 PM »

a centrist would write æffect

and they’d center the text.
serge

benjipwns

« Reply #31210 on: July 16, 2019, 10:33:29 PM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/Drama/comments/cdvtx3/resetera_finds_rlm_content_very_problematic/
Alicesnakebae
14 hours ago
Only thing they don't find problematic is fucking kids

cyrillic_computer
11 hours ago
oh no I've just connected the dots on why those people insist that children aren't real people until age 7+.

benjipwns

« Reply #31211 on: July 16, 2019, 10:35:25 PM »
BussyShillBot

14 hours ago
It is not time to lay down nor look down.

It is time to rise.

Battlefield, they put women in it.

Resident Evil, they destroyed it.

Mass Effect, they ruined it.

When is enough, ENOUGH?

Big media has entered the fold. They are here.

They are using advanced strategies to censor us.

This is not one battle.

This is a war.

On all of us.

We all have to work together. Share strategies. Come up with new ones.

Forget which game is better.

We are fighting for our right to boob animation.

If we do not work together, we will all get rekt.

We have to all have an open discussion about this.

It starts right here. Right now.

They want to fck with us. SO BE IT.

We have the power of bots like them.

BUT WE HAVE MORE DRIVE.

I am TIRED of it.

Tired of the GAMES and MANIPULATION.

They want WAR.

Then let us GIVE THEM WAR.
           is this the praxis?
 :isthis

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #31212 on: July 16, 2019, 10:42:42 PM »

benjipwns

« Reply #31213 on: July 16, 2019, 10:44:08 PM »
thottie__pimpen

9 hours ago
The amount of male feminism in that thread is disturbing; I wonder how many unconvicted rapists posted there. Also it's funny they picked on Rich when Mike is the only one who's actually a rightoid. And Jay always tries to put in SJW talking points probably to prevent this shit from happening.
yes, this is how I've always perceived them, Rich is mostly apolitical, Mike is clearly a libertarian idealist, not the Jay is a SJW thing though (maybe more soft liberal, in any case I'd place him to "the left" (ironic) of the others but not noticeably so, rather more that he's more "aware" of such things)

I've always thought collectively of RLM as an inverse Trey and Matt, whereas Trey and Matt's response to politics is "WE DON'T CARE AND THIS IS HOW MUCH WE DON'T CARE FOR TWENTY YEARS ON END" the fascist RLM can actually not talk about American party politics of the moment and it only draws their attention when it truly intersects with their media consumption, Ghostbusters was such because the counter-counter-protest by the studio and Paul Feig was decidedly to lean into the "you're sexist Trump supporters" angle (I found out interestingly in an article recounting the whole disaster of the Ghostbusters studio/universe plan that Melissa McCarthy disliked this, being a long time fan of the cartoon series, and some of the other aspects of the "reboot" but she ultimately had no pull against the force of Feig/Wiig combined)

thisismyusername

« Reply #31214 on: July 16, 2019, 10:52:35 PM »

yeah it's fun to go into those threads with alts until you reflect back on it and wonder if your post was the one that prompted a decision that leaves someone completely destitute or worse
:fbm

I often wonder if the Miley Cyrus photo I posted on Gaf was the one that pushed Amirox into a life of seedy despair.

Take heart: It probably was. You're the reason Ami is a pedo.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #31215 on: July 16, 2019, 10:52:40 PM »
thottie__pimpen

9 hours ago
The amount of male feminism in that thread is disturbing; I wonder how many unconvicted rapists posted there. Also it's funny they picked on Rich when Mike is the only one who's actually a rightoid. And Jay always tries to put in SJW talking points probably to prevent this shit from happening.
yes, this is how I've always perceived them, Rich is mostly apolitical, Mike is clearly a libertarian idealist, not the Jay is a SJW thing though (maybe more soft liberal, in any case I'd place him to "the left" (ironic) of the others but not noticeably so, rather more that he's more "aware" of such things)

I've always thought collectively of RLM as an inverse Trey and Matt, whereas Trey and Matt's response to politics is "WE DON'T CARE AND THIS IS HOW MUCH WE DON'T CARE FOR TWENTY YEARS ON END" the fascist RLM can actually not talk about American party politics of the moment and it only draws their attention when it truly intersects with their media consumption, Ghostbusters was such because the counter-counter-protest by the studio and Paul Feig was decidedly to lean into the "you're sexist Trump supporters" angle (I found out interestingly in an article recounting the whole disaster of the Ghostbusters studio/universe plan that Melissa McCarthy disliked this, being a long time fan of the cartoon series, and some of the other aspects of the "reboot" but she ultimately had no pull against the force of Feig/Wiig combined)

Rich is very jaded and wants to be apolitical but now that stance is seen as conservative ("why can't we all just go back to the good old days of not talking about politics"), I think I remember statements to this effect on a prereq stream

there have been a few moments in videos where Mike has been a bit anti-sjw and it felt like Jay was frantically trying to steer the conversation away from that, captain marvel HITB was one of those

and Josh is an era member but you wouldn't know that from watching the show
Uncle

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #31216 on: July 16, 2019, 10:53:34 PM »
To be fair to Ree, this is what I imagine what most people on Ree think a centrist acts like.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ocasio-cortez-top-aide-emerges-as-lightning-rod-amid-democratic-feud.129423/post-22815975

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #31217 on: July 16, 2019, 10:54:54 PM »

yeah it's fun to go into those threads with alts until you reflect back on it and wonder if your post was the one that prompted a decision that leaves someone completely destitute or worse
:fbm

I often wonder if the Miley Cyrus photo I posted on Gaf was the one that pushed Amirox into a life of seedy despair.
??? ::) ???

thisismyusername

« Reply #31218 on: July 16, 2019, 10:57:47 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/redlettermedia-ot-very-cruel.804/page-129#post-22813849

Quote from: halfbeast
on the flipside we got

mod edit: let's not link to sites like this

it's all just a contest who can point and laugh the loudest.

nothing has been achieved, though. but I guess, that's not a priority.

used to link to this

:heh

level 2
LongPostBot
6 points
·
15 hours ago
I don't know what you said, because I've seen another human naked.

I am a bot. Contact for questions

:neogaf

benjipwns

« Reply #31219 on: July 16, 2019, 11:00:31 PM »
Rich is very jaded and wants to be apolitical but now that stance is seen as conservative ("why can't we all just go back to the good old days of not talking about politics"), I think I remember statements to this effect on a prereq stream

there have been a few moments in videos where Mike has been a bit anti-sjw and it felt like Jay was frantically trying to steer the conversation away from that, captain marvel HITB was one of those
I think Mike and Rich are too tied into the fandom's endless cycle to be able to ignore all the corporate wokeness, which is basically what seems to trigger them, if Disney could show off Star Wars without promoting how the corporation has for the first time put a closeted trans person in the background of Cloud City with CGI they'd probably never bitch about it.

thisismyusername

benjipwns

« Reply #31221 on: July 16, 2019, 11:04:06 PM »
I am being legitimate, as feel good as it might be to say fuck the moderates and the establishment, it doesn't really move things forward in actuality. In base terms, The Squad is 4 and the Democratic Cacus is 220+ in number. That isn't math I would want on my side.
You change the math by calling out the weaklings. Fuck outta here with this pearl clutching and fuck them moderates.

thisismyusername

« Reply #31223 on: July 16, 2019, 11:11:05 PM »
ok this was linked from r/drama and it's pretty good

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/cdivuu/were_reviewed_professional_product_testers_here/

https://www.reddit.com/r/AMADisasters/

:rejoice

If you haven't seen the Rampart AMA (which is what kicked off that subreddit, and was on SRD, IIRC), you should. It was a thing of beauty.

Oblivion

« Reply #31224 on: July 16, 2019, 11:21:38 PM »
somebody posted stats a while ago on how gaf's traffic is doing, and it seems like evilore pretty much reversed most of his userbase loss after the resetera exodus. it's not as high as it was at gaf's prime, but it's still super fucking high nonetheless.

re-branding gaf as a chud safe space, and evilore's laughing all the way to the bank. again.  :fbm

railGUN

• If my bones are breaking would you tell me that I'm weak?
« Reply #31225 on: July 16, 2019, 11:33:56 PM »
EviLore is posting replies, and even topics. That should tell you about how well the forum is doing right now.

And he's walking a very fine line with AdSense right now, unless the standards of content for them have dropped significantly.
Fish<

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #31226 on: July 16, 2019, 11:33:58 PM »
Uncle

thisismyusername

« Reply #31227 on: July 16, 2019, 11:40:35 PM »
Which graph is which? :thinking

railGUN

« Reply #31228 on: July 16, 2019, 11:42:41 PM »
Alexa rank from April 15, 2015

Bigger version
spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

And here's Aug 27, 2017 -- mere months before "the incident" - like watching the Titanic sail majestically towards the North Atlantic.

[close]
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 11:48:27 PM by railGUN »
Fish<

thisismyusername

Snoopycat_

« Reply #31230 on: July 17, 2019, 12:03:37 AM »

Take heart: It probably was. You're the reason Ami is a pedo.

Phhhfffttt. Pedo/Potato. Who cares about that. I was referring to him becoming a Gaf mod.

benjipwns

« Reply #31231 on: July 17, 2019, 12:08:30 AM »
EviLore is posting replies, and even topics. That should tell you about how well the forum is doing right now.

And he's walking a very fine line with AdSense right now, unless the standards of content for them have dropped significantly.

Adsense doesn’t pay much attention until a site is reported.
Probably fifty times or so now.

lol when they used to close your AdSense account within 24 hours if someone said to click on the ads anywhere on the domain

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #31232 on: July 17, 2019, 12:11:30 AM »
man remember the worst thing amirox has ever done?

:wag

imageshack links  :fbm
Uncle

benjipwns

« Reply #31233 on: July 17, 2019, 12:16:05 AM »
bet he'd like to edit that whole "didn't know it was illegal, I have many fetishes" excuse into something better

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #31234 on: July 17, 2019, 12:32:07 AM »
somebody posted stats a while ago on how gaf's traffic is doing, and it seems like evilore pretty much reversed most of his userbase loss after the resetera exodus. it's not as high as it was at gaf's prime, but it's still super fucking high nonetheless.

re-branding gaf as a chud safe space, and evilore's laughing all the way to the bank. again.  :fbm
Forgetting about the statistics and Alexa ranks and all that bullshit, the thing the shower goblin craves most is recognition.

You could see he loved it whenever he got interviewed or when gaf had exclusive leaks from actual insiders.

He doesn't have that now and I bet that's eating him up inside like nothing else.

It's also what those weird fuckers over at Gaf 2.0 crave and they've never had it and it absolutely kills them. Especially with the whole vERAfied thing.

The best part of the big split is that it obliterated any recognition or clout that community ever had and their respective desperate attempts to forge some recognition are failing dismally.
Spud

thisismyusername

« Reply #31235 on: July 17, 2019, 12:32:26 AM »
man remember the worst thing amirox has ever done?
 :wag

No? Beating his mom and stealing GAF's money to do blow when that was for his (beaten) mom is far worse than editing his posts a la Gary Whitta.

benjipwns

« Reply #31236 on: July 17, 2019, 12:33:24 AM »
uh, pretty sure I've been told that both sites are now bigger than ever and considering that NeoGAF.com was bigger than Reddit, that makes NeoGAF.com and ResetERA.com combined bigger than Alphabet Inc.

thisismyusername

« Reply #31237 on: July 17, 2019, 12:34:28 AM »

Forgetting about the statistics and Alexa ranks and all that bullshit, the thing the shower goblin craves most is recognition.

You could see he loved it whenever he got interviewed or when gaf had exclusive leaks from actual insiders.

He doesn't have that now and I bet that's eating him up inside like nothing else.

It's also what those weird fuckers over at Gaf 2.0 crave and they've never had it and it absolutely kills them. Especially with the whole vERAfied thing.

The best part of the big split is that it obliterated any recognition or clout that community ever had and their respective desperate attempts to forge some recognition are failing dismally.

Delicious: Finally a good potato post.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #31238 on: July 17, 2019, 12:54:01 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

I hate when we fight about brie

She wears no bra because she knows she has no talent.

Larson was pretty good in Short Term 12.

Captain Marvel was a piece of shit but that's not on her. Script and direction was poor. Considering the fact that Marvel fans will lap up anything, can't fault anyone for that either.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #31239 on: July 17, 2019, 12:56:03 AM »
Just read about Bianca Devins :fbm :holeup :fbm

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #31240 on: July 17, 2019, 01:02:29 AM »
Amir0x having free reign on neogaf always seems wild to me.

railGUN

« Reply #31241 on: July 17, 2019, 01:04:26 AM »
White people in the USA really need to look at Zimbabwe and South Africa and consider if that's the future they want for their kids and grandkids.

JordanN
Fish<

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #31242 on: July 17, 2019, 01:49:20 AM »

Delicious: Finally a good potato post.
My first proper backhanded compliment on The Bore. I feel special now...and not just special in an autistic way either.

Edit: top of the page wholesome Yuka
[close]

Edit 2: What happened to the word filter?
Spud

benjipwns

« Reply #31243 on: July 17, 2019, 02:03:15 AM »
Amanda Clarke
@akclarke_
 Andy Dwyer would never wear a shirt emblazoned with a white supremacist dogwhistle. Chris Pratt is unequivocally the worst Chris. https://twitter.com/hunteryharris/status/1150866021147906055

9:58 AM - Jul 16, 2019
Tim Byrnes
@timbyrnes89
 I like him, but all these small things about his politics makes me wonder when he’ll say something transphobic, tank his career, and do the full heel-turn into a Fox commentator

9:26 AM - Jul 16, 2019
uss butterscotch | st3 spoilers
@reyvillanelle
 ellen page called him out and some of y'all didn't listen now look at this shit

7:56 AM - Jul 16, 2019
Jonathan Dean
@JonathanDean_
That’s everyone’s fave, Chris Pratt, wearing a snake logo recently associated with lads from the Tea Party to the depths of 4chan https://t.co/61VW2sMbdN

9:58 AM - July 16, 2019
Areola Grande
@crisismattie
 Unfollowed already. Haven't liked him since Parks & Rec anyhow, and I can easily cancel him in that too. @prattprattpratt hope those bigots pay you a good pay check. Bye girl.

6:01 PM - Jul 16, 2019 · California, USA
:american

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #31244 on: July 17, 2019, 02:06:02 AM »

Although in 2019, i don't think ANY forum could really hope to have any mass recognition or even interest from a larger crowd, let alone insiders actively posting in it; Twitter, Reddit, Discord, etc. killed that years ago.
Regardless of how much of a cesspool both GAF and ERA are at the moment.

benjipwns

« Reply #31245 on: July 17, 2019, 02:07:10 AM »
Yahoo changed their headline from:
Chris Pratt criticised for ‘white supremacist’ T-shirt
to
Chris Pratt criticised for T-shirt choice
:lol

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #31246 on: July 17, 2019, 02:07:49 AM »
The Bore has mass recognition as a known hate site though...
Spud

benjipwns

« Reply #31247 on: July 17, 2019, 02:15:14 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/chris-pratt-is-a-republican.129371/post-22809995
This thread seems past the point of productive discussion and is closed to further replies
oh

benjipwns

« Reply #31248 on: July 17, 2019, 02:16:15 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/tetris-effect-coming-to-pc-on-july-23rd-4k-rift-vive-vr-support-exclusive-to-epic-games-store-see-staff-post.129293/post-22814428
User Banned (3 Days): Inflammatory false equivalence
Well Epic is getting my money here. Tetris Effect is too damn good to skip out on over launcher shittyness.
I'm afraid you are part of the problem then.
Don't you have any standards? You really don't care that buying this is supporting everything that is wrong with PC gaming?
I want this game too, as I love Tetris and have been playing it since the 80's but this "bend to my will" nonsense has to stop before it goes out of control.
The more money people spend on that store means the more they can use to lock down upcoming games.
This is the PC equivalent of Trumps "building a wall" bullshit! I wouldn't fund that shit and recommend that none of you do either.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #31249 on: July 17, 2019, 02:16:36 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/i-was-so-livid-disney-heiress-visits-theme-park-undercover-to-see-worker-conditions.129398/post-22814132

Eat the rich.
Mods: Why the hell was this given a drive warning?!

It's is a valid reaction to the issues posted in the OP, and it's concise nature is to the point.

"When you're accustomed to mod protection, equality feels like oppression." Rich Chris Evans
ὕβρις

benjipwns

« Reply #31250 on: July 17, 2019, 02:17:49 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/redlettermedia-ot-very-cruel.804/post-22803177
User Banned (3 Days): Use of derogatory term ("SJW") supporting inflammatory generalizations

While most of the time it’s used by the alt-right to criticize anyone who remotely disagrees with them, I’ll admit the term “sjw” really does fit some people who are always pushing further and further left and if you aren’t close to their level you’re either a bigot or an enabler of bigotry. I find that level often pushes people who would otherwise be left of center closer to a centrist or right policy since they’re “always wrong”.

And no, this is not a hand wave of Rich’s horrible stream rant or some of the more questionable things RLM have said. The actual problematic content should be criticized as is, but it should not be an excuse to relitigate every piece of content they’ve ever put out to try and determine if the content was secretly bigoted in nature.
they should be more specific like this more often

benjipwns

« Reply #31251 on: July 17, 2019, 02:19:22 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/a-critique-of-red-letter-media%E2%80%99s-bigoted-content-see-staff-post.129228/post-22790484
User Banned (Duration Pending): Excusing racist jokes, ignoring staff post; previous severe ban for dismissing bigotry.

I enjoy a good chunk of their content, I do wish they would replace Rich, he just doesn't really bring anything interesting to the conversations.

The problematic language OP outlined I interpret as just satirical or played out jokes for the purpose of being satirical and played out. I highly doubt they are trying to push a bigoted agenda, and if people are being radicalized or their racist/sexist beliefs are strengthened because of a 6 second joke in a 15 minute video then I'm not going to blame the creator of that video.

And for every problematic quip they have entire discussions gushing about movies like Us, Get Out, or specific actresses; Jay says Daisy Ridley carried TFA because she was so charismatic, and both of them liked Daphne Keen in Logan.
previous severe ban!

benjipwns

« Reply #31252 on: July 17, 2019, 02:21:55 AM »
lots of bans related to RLM, they cleaned out not only the critique but the OT, thankfully, the content is still allowed despite its supporters being not good fits

[close]
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 02:30:13 AM by benjipwns »

benjipwns

« Reply #31253 on: July 17, 2019, 02:25:36 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/this-35-second-clip-changed-my-perception-of-iron-mike-tyson.129165/post-22780553
OFFICIAL STAFF COMMUNICATION

This clip is 8 years old and is not generating good discussion. As such we're locking it.

it's threads like these that are murdering the planet unnecessarily

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #31255 on: July 17, 2019, 02:33:45 AM »
The Bore has mass recognition as a known hate site though...
Proper hate-sites, don't have this amount of careposts.

benjipwns

« Reply #31256 on: July 17, 2019, 02:37:04 AM »
This should be good :

https://www.resetera.com/threads/one-of-the-most-infuriating-discussions-is-of-having-a-type.129252/
I think it would be prudent to address these ideas one by one.

"You're not asking for introspection, you're wanting people to change their preferences" - Change might come about as a result of people opening up their perceptions and examining the societal and personal factors behind their preference, but that isn't the goal. The point of having a discussion is to get people to realize the extent to which their preference is actually molded by society, and that it isn't just something that is there. This is important because confronting those and giving them a hard look will improve the discussion around beauty standards and challenge the status quo of a eurocentric ideal.

"You're basically trying to take away sexual selection by making everyone seen as equally attractive" - No, looking at what molded your preferences will not suddenly make everybody super hot looking. Currently, the accepted standard of beauty is very eurocentric, at least as far as North America and Europe are concerned, but this extends all over the globe thanks to pop culture. I don't believe we will ever reach a point where all ethnicities are viewed as equally attractive in their own ways, but we can challenge the status quo by looking at why it's the european ideal that's held up as the epitome, and in this context it doesn't have to be a grand standing movement, it starts by looking within.

"I have a type and I don't care what you have to say about it" - I don't care what your type is so long as you recognize what factors lead to it and how those have affected your preferences and attitudes towards dating. I'm not asking people to suddenly find everyone attractive. I'm asking that you think about how your preferences came to be. If you don't know how they got that way, then maybe it's worth it to look into and talk about, for your own knowledge and understanding yourself.

"I don't understand what there is to be gained from this supposedly arduous task of looking at ourselves. Seems pointless" - You understand yourself better and have a newfound appreciation for the potency of external factors upon ideas of attraction you hold very personal to yourself. You might better understand your own past behaviors and relationships. You might gain some perspective going forward about how pervasive popular ideals of beauty are in our society and how they might affect people who don't fit that ideal and those who do.

"This just screams armchair psychology" - I'm not pulling out in depth studies here or asserting a hypothesis. This conversation needs to happen, because I feel the refusal to look into our dating preferences is inhibiting the larger discussion around racial inequality and how beauty standards are used as a tool to elevate the eurocentric ideal over others. I specifically point out dating preference, and not exclusion, because the latter is an easy shield to hide behind with no room to explore the touchier aspects of attraction. Our seemingly innocuous preferences are more affected by external factors intertwined with ethnicity and race than we might be comfortable with.

"Saying that preference is affected by society is like saying being Gay is a choice" - Sexual orientation should never be conflated with dating preference. You are born gay, you are not born with a particular attraction to blond hair and european facial features.

"Our preferences are genetic, we can't help who we're attracted to. I'm attracted to asian women, but I won't deny a black woman if she fits my beauty ideal" - They are not genetic. They are learned. And they are influenced by outside factors more than most want to admit. I don't believe that a preference for european features comes from genetics.

I probably missed a couple takes so I'll go back and re read the thread again. I want to make it clear that looking at the factors behind your type doesn't require you to be self deprecating or remorseful or otherwise in a state of unhappiness. It's just thinking about your life, and how your experiences and society and the environment you were exposed to has shaped your dating preferences. It is okay to be most attracted to blonde women or men with stereotypically attractive features. Just know the how and why of what lead your preferences to that, and understand how our world can influence our perception of attraction subconsciously. While the benefit might not seem immediately apparent, I think it will play a big role in discussions of race and beauty going forward.
This conversation needs to happen, because I feel the refusal to look into our dating preferences is inhibiting the larger discussion around racial inequality and how beauty standards are used as a tool to elevate the eurocentric ideal over others.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #31257 on: July 17, 2019, 02:37:06 AM »
Quote from: Shugga
when i was dating the craziest thing i always heard was "i'm so glad you're tall, i like dating tall men because i love wearing heels".

it was then i realized i would never understand women
Good ol internalized sexism
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #31258 on: July 17, 2019, 02:43:59 AM »
For example most people on this board are probably fatphobic and don't date or find overweight people attractive. Not because of some kind of inherent preference but because society told them to.

"We live in a society"
ὕβρις

benjipwns

« Reply #31259 on: July 17, 2019, 02:51:14 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/a-critique-of-red-letter-media%E2%80%99s-bigoted-content-see-staff-post.129228/post-22820712
Like there’s a fucking OT for RLM if all you want to do is talk about how you like them
https://www.resetera.com/threads/a-critique-of-red-letter-media%E2%80%99s-bigoted-content-see-staff-post.129228/post-22820756
Quote from: Surfinn
This is some bad faith bullshit right here. You're perfectly aware that just posting "I like them" is a complete dismissal of what's listed in the OP. It's a drive by.

As Chug said, there's an entire thread dedicated to ignoring their issues and consuming their content without a second thought/cheering them on.