Author Topic: These kids protesting against climate change  (Read 6067 times)

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
These kids protesting against climate change
« on: March 17, 2019, 02:35:01 AM »
Ever see anything more heartbreaking then kids actually begging on the streets for adults to stop killing their future?

Lot of people need to take a long, hard look into the mirror and stop living like there is no tomorrow.

If in 2019 you are still not concious (and acting on it)  about the food, clothes, stuff you buy and consume, the car you drive, the holidays you fly off to etc you are pretty much the same as a biggot that discriminates against non whites/lgbt or whoever.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
Re: These kids protesting against climate change
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 02:50:40 AM »
fox news here covered parents suing a specific school for letting the students participate
每天生气

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 07:14:32 AM »
I bet those motherfuckers don't even recycle their shit.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 11:07:48 AM »
German conservative politicians are handwringing about how they're skipping school for this. :lol

Particularly amusing to me, since my home state is still #1 in missed school hours due to staff shortages. :heh

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2019, 11:16:10 AM »
German conservative politicians are handwringing about how they're skipping school for this. :lol

Particularly amusing to me, since my home state is still #1 in missed school hours due to staff shortages. :heh

Same in France, the Ministry of Education went as far as deciding to order schools to have climate debates from 16h to 18h on the Friday of the protest in order to try to force them in schools.
:comeon

Good for them. It helps awareness and we certainly need that.
ὕβρις

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2019, 01:00:18 PM »
dont put paint on those fucking stones dumb bitches, stones are nature and you are killing it

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2019, 01:30:47 PM »
i sort of get what you're saying, but i went on a few protests when i was an excitable teenager and they were all great fun. like a little walking festival.

maybe they'd have more impact if they did them like in the middle east, all open coffins, effigy burning and wailing masses.

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2019, 02:01:48 PM »
imagine being afraid of a bogeyman in 2019.

It’s the same scam as religion: indoctrinate the kids, live the way we decide and send us your money so we can keep doing the Lords work. Meanwhile you get the false sense of “living more righteous” than your neighbor.

paprikastaude

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2019, 02:37:19 PM »
If in 2019 you are still not concious (and acting on it)  about the food, clothes, stuff you buy and consume, the car you drive, the holidays you fly off to etc you are pretty much the same as a biggot that discriminates against non whites/lgbt or whoever.
:iface

It's cool if you decide if you do some of these things for your own morale. But getting this preachy about it is :nope Because you can't escape being a hypocrite one way or the other, considering the way modern consumerist society is inherently designed. Firstly, trying to only consume clean increases living costs significantly, to the point that it is impossible for many people with (below) average income. Secondly, even only consuming premium products doesn't change that you sooner or later buy shit that is soaked in Asian children's tears or rainforest ash or whatever. Unless you live in some mountain shack like a hermit.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 07:34:39 PM by Spieler1 »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2019, 03:20:33 PM »
Pretty weird how this suddenly started all over the world eh.
Kids protesting against climate change, then hitting up McDonalds and leaving all their garbage behind.

Must be something in the water.
🤴

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2019, 04:34:24 PM »
I bet those motherfuckers don't even recycle their shit.

What really pisses me off is the folks that throw used plastic/glasses into the trash bin. No, bitch, that can be recycled. Take your lazy ass and put it in the other bin.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2019, 04:39:18 PM »
If you're not growing your own garden in your backyard then you're doing less than nothing
Uncle

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2019, 05:13:09 PM »
imagine being afraid of a bogeyman in 2019.

It’s the same scam as religion: indoctrinate the kids, live the way we decide and send us your money so we can keep doing the Lords work. Meanwhile you get the false sense of “living more righteous” than your neighbor.

Yeah, imagine using this issue to cultivate a personal sense of superiority to other people...
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 05:40:01 PM by Mandark »

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2019, 05:15:07 PM »
If I knew you could take time off school for protests I would have been more politically active as a kid ffs

shosta

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2019, 05:36:15 PM »

when someone posts almost exactly the same thing as you and gets all the likes for the post

:ltg
每天生气

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2019, 05:39:41 PM »
shosta's in the yang gang so he can get some universal basic likes without earning them.

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2019, 06:56:43 PM »
rode past a kid that day with a sign that said "i bet the dinosaurs thought they had a lot more time too"  :lol
◕‿◕

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2019, 07:01:40 PM »
While I don't necessarily disagree with their message, it's all a little too well organised to be this spontaneous protest as it has been portrayed.

The whole thing smacks of naive kids being indoctrinated and taken advantage of by some pretty well organised political activists with an agenda that doesn't necessarily align with what the kids are doing this for.

Some proper hypocrisy going on too. Where I am, it's government policy to air-condition all school classrooms. Are these kids going to go without that luxury to "save the planet"?
Spud

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2019, 07:09:22 PM »
that's a dumb post, mr potato

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2019, 07:11:29 PM »
Why?
Spud

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2019, 07:23:44 PM »
Spuds rule
Spud

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2019, 07:30:07 PM »
either you think climate change is real or some sort of nefarious globalist hoax

if you think it's a hoax just come out and say it

if you think it's real then there's no way to look at the discourse surrounding it and conclude that some idealistic kids are The Problem

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2019, 07:36:07 PM »
Climate change is real but in our country they had calculated that to reduce the temperate increase by 0.00007 C degrees we had to spend about 900 billion.

Unless the kiddo's throw their iPhones in the trash and stop buying Disney shit and McDonalds this problem is never going to be solved.
Time, money and effort is better spend on finding a real solution than to use solutions that have already proven not to work.

Throrium reactors seem promising. Perhaps space colonies to reduce the carbon foot print on the planet.
Reusing a plastic bottle isn't going to make much of a difference if China builts a coal plant every month.
🤴

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2019, 07:38:23 PM »
the thing is you lie constantly and are too dumb to understand basic concepts, so

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2019, 07:54:42 PM »
the thing is you lie constantly and are too dumb to understand basic concepts, so
at least I'm not marrec  8)
🤴

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2019, 07:55:23 PM »
you spent like ten minutes writing that

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2019, 07:55:31 PM »
either you think climate change is real or some sort of nefarious globalist hoax

if you think it's a hoax just come out and say it

if you think it's real then there's no way to look at the discourse surrounding it and conclude that some idealistic kids are The Problem

Not sure how you get to that conclusion from my post. I didn't say anything about climate change, rather I commented on the motivations of the kids and the adults who are organising them.

It's clear climate change is real, that isn't in doubt.
Spud

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2019, 07:59:08 PM »

cool, then line 3 of my post applies

naff

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2019, 08:08:52 PM »
Climate change is real but in our country they had calculated that to reduce the temperate increase by 0.00007 C degrees we had to spend about 900 billion.

"we" ??? Are you referencing the IPCC report estimating a total requirement of ~900 billion annually in "energy related investments" to limit warming to 1.5c above industrial levels by 2050?
◕‿◕

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2019, 08:12:52 PM »

"we" ??? Are you referencing the IPCC report estimating a total requirement of ~900 billion annually in "energy related investments" to limit warming to 1.5c above industrial levels by 2050?
No the Dutch government has a plan to meat the Paris goals. They have to spend 900 billion, increase taxes on energy, basically ban all cars that run on gas and litter the landscape with wind turbines and even doing all that they won't meet the Paris goals.

The flow chart is simple

Good person(TM)
1) You have to believe in climate change
2) You have to believe that climate change is caused by humans
3) You have to believe that re-using your plastic bottles and not eating hamburgers will make any difference
4) You have to believe and encourage and support anyone who brings up climate change whenever
5) You have to believe that every 'recent' disaster from the Syrian war to the California forest fires is caused by climate change
6) You have to believe that the war against climate change is worth everything, including ruining your economy and civilization
7) You have to believe that fighting climate change is going to work even if Russia, China and other developing countries do nothing
(BONUS POINTS: AL GORE WAS RIGHT)

If you don't meet any of the above requirements you are a Nazi racist bigot.
A sort of religous zeal that has caused people who were pretty much with the climate people on points 1,2,3 to side with the climate sceptics

Easier way to fix climate change is to have all the best thinkers in the world. Currently employed to built trains for Siemens, planes for Lockheed, movies for Disney, drill for Rosneft, design phones for Apple and cars and rockets for Elon to come up with workable and practical solutions to handle this problem. If it's a man made process it can be reversed by man.

This has been going on for decades and suddenly we all have to 'panic'. I'm sorry, I'm not panicking about this because the media suffered from a stroke November 2016.
🤴

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2019, 08:13:48 PM »
(((climate change)))

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2019, 08:16:07 PM »

cool, then line 3 of my post applies
Sure, but I don't have a problem with the kids, just the people in the background using them as political pawns in a larger political fight.

i.e Back to my original point of it being wrong to exploit well intentioned but naive kids to advance your political agenda.
Spud

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2019, 08:17:58 PM »
No the Dutch government has a plan to meat the Paris goals. They have to spend 900 billion, increase taxes on energy, basically ban all cars that run on gas and litter the landscape with wind turbines and even doing all that they won't meet the Paris goals.

again, you have a history of telling lies

not saying that to insult you (a happy byproduct), but to explain why people aren't going to just take your word for something without references

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2019, 08:20:48 PM »
Sure, but I don't have a problem with the kids, just the people in the background using them as political pawns in a larger political fight.

i.e Back to my original point of it being wrong to exploit well intentioned but naive kids to advance your political agenda.

except there's no evidence of exploitation here other than you just asserting it, and calling the kids hypocrites for going to government mandated schools with air conditioning

kids having their worldviews shaped by the adults around them, and how those adults present and contextualize information, is not in and of itself "exploitation," it's just society

naff

« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2019, 08:31:30 PM »
also, super vague, ~~~~900 billion~~~~ we talking annually, we talking about extra tax on the populace, we talking about additional spending on infrastructure and improving efficiency?

as far as whether china and russia care, russia are a drop in the ocean and china and india are steadily improving their renewable energy generation, and driving down the cost of production

https://www.nature.com/news/economics-manufacture-renewables-to-build-energy-security-1.15847
https://qz.com/india/1283299/in-the-race-to-build-massive-solar-power-projects-india-is-poised-to-beat-china/
◕‿◕

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2019, 08:33:08 PM »

not saying that to insult you (a happy byproduct), but to explain why people aren't going to just take your word for something without references
A Dutch expert on climate change had calculated it would cost more actually. This is sort of the mid-end.

Low end estimates range from 250 - 500 billion Euro, mid end from 750 - 900 billion Euro and there's a group that's convinced it's over 1000 billion Euro.
No one can be 100% sure but it is very expensive and government programs always cost more than planned.

Here's a printed magazine cover with the 1000 miljard = 1000 billion figure

The problem is that all homes need to stop using natural gas as an energy source. Everyone needs to buy a heat pump and have their houses changed to accomodate floor heating.
We are a very small country so there's not much we can do to reduce our CO2 emissions and keep our economy running at the same time.

So banning cars that run on gas and having people install heat pumps seems like the only solution to people that think climate change must be dealt with no matter the cost.
But with things like hospitals closing and corporations seemingly getting away with pollution it's a hard sell. So the biggest climate sceptic party is currently polling in second place.

Then again the idea is that if we become climate neutral other countries will look at us for technology and guidance. As we're currently doing when it comes to managing water.
But the average household already had their energy bill go up 350 euro this year partly because of new taxes on energy.
🤴

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2019, 08:33:25 PM »
Let's just agree to disagree.

Where you see high school students spontaneously protesting to fight for their future, I see an agenda-driven exploitation of teenagers by hard left political activists. We might both be right depending on the context.
Spud

naff

« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2019, 08:45:00 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

:piss2
◕‿◕

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2019, 08:50:06 PM »
fighting climate change can be turned into a racket just like anything else. the people will get screwed  and somehow, someway billionaires and corporations will benefit.  :maf

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2019, 08:53:34 PM »
I'm in favor of hitting more politicians in the face with eggs. That kid was onto something.
©@©™

naff

« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2019, 08:55:14 PM »
What do you you think of this reaction piece to the "Climate optimist" Marcel Croks article you post the cover of with no context to support your post Nintex?

https://klimaatverandering.wordpress.com/2018/12/01/reactie-op-marcel-croks-stuk-in-elsevier-klimaatbeleid-is-haalbaar-betaalbaar-en-zinvol/
◕‿◕

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2019, 09:33:16 PM »
Where you see high school students spontaneously protesting to fight for their future, I see an agenda-driven exploitation of teenagers by hard left political activists. We might both be right depending on the context.

honestly mate were you never a teenager?

like i said above, protesting was great fun. you get to feel part of something and go on a bit of a counter culture adventure. there's a buzz of skirting the social boundaries while never really being in any danger, like playing a game with noclip on.

it doesn't have to be some nefarious machiavellian leftist plot sprung up to pollute the impressionable. it's like a march against animal cruelty or the concept of poverty; a completely base line "good" cause that 95% of teenagers will be into anyway and would jump at the chance to put on some glitter make up, whip up a placard in the arts dept and take a day off school to go dancing through the streets.

you're as far off the mark as premium who thinks it's some outburst of apocalyptic desperation.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2019, 09:46:30 PM »
don't call him mate, lad

« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2019, 09:51:17 PM »
Merkel already said she suspected these sons of bitches kids are part of some Russian op. I don't need any more evidence than that. Bin them.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2019, 10:21:30 PM »

honestly mate were you never a teenager?

like i said above, protesting was great fun. you get to feel part of something and go on a bit of a counter culture adventure. there's a buzz of skirting the social boundaries while never really being in any danger, like playing a game with noclip on.

it doesn't have to be some nefarious machiavellian leftist plot sprung up to pollute the impressionable. it's like a march against animal cruelty or the concept of poverty; a completely base line "good" cause that 95% of teenagers will be into anyway and would jump at the chance to put on some glitter make up, whip up a placard in the arts dept and take a day off school to go dancing through the streets.

you're as far off the mark as premium who thinks it's some outburst of apocalyptic desperation.

I think I was a teenager once. It's a bit hard to remember back that far. I remember lots of heavy metal, rugby, cricket, football and doing dumb shit. No protests though; the 90s in Queensland just weren't that type of time.

I don't have a problem with the kids here though. Different times. I actually agree with you that this is something that would appeal to teenagers these days and support their right to protest.

However, to think this was a spontaneous movement driven solely by kids naive.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 10:39:29 PM by Potato »
Spud

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2019, 11:21:49 PM »

I never said this. Please read what I actually write if you're going to bother to respond.

You're the one throwing around scary terms about "exploitation," "taken advantage of," "used as pawns," "indoctrinated" etc. etc. based on literally nothing other than your own vague discomfort.

I don't have a problem with the kids here though.

You called them hypocrites for going to air conditioned schools!

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2019, 11:36:48 PM »
https://klimaatverandering.files.wordpress.com/2018/12/elsevier_voorpagina_20181124.png

The image of that magazine cover is hosted on a blog explaining why it's dishonest. Come on.

Nola

« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2019, 12:00:43 AM »

The flow chart is simple

Good person(TM)
1) You have to believe in climate change
2) You have to believe that climate change is caused by humans
3) You have to believe that re-using your plastic bottles and not eating hamburgers will make any difference
4) You have to believe and encourage and support anyone who brings up climate change whenever
5) You have to believe that every 'recent' disaster from the Syrian war to the California forest fires is caused by climate change
6) You have to believe that the war against climate change is worth everything, including ruining your economy and civilization
7) You have to believe that fighting climate change is going to work even if Russia, China and other developing countries do nothing
(BONUS POINTS: AL GORE WAS RIGHT)

If you don't meet any of the above requirements you are a Nazi racist bigot.
A sort of religous zeal that has caused people who were pretty much with the climate people on points 1,2,3 to side with the climate sceptics

Easier way to fix climate change is to have all the best thinkers in the world. Currently employed to built trains for Siemens, planes for Lockheed, movies for Disney, drill for Rosneft, design phones for Apple and cars and rockets for Elon to come up with workable and practical solutions to handle this problem. If it's a man made process it can be reversed by man.

This has been going on for decades and suddenly we all have to 'panic'. I'm sorry, I'm not panicking about this because the media suffered from a stroke November 2016.

I have been on the internet a good minute, even lived to witness ToxicAdam not grasping how the basic greenhouse effect works for over a decade across multiple forums, you are consistently one of the most dedicatedly stupid fucking people I have ever come across.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 12:07:55 AM by Nola »

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2019, 12:10:20 AM »
At this point, the only way to survive CC is to merge with AI, become machine hybrid, live on electricity.

https://www.reddit.com/r/science/comments/b1wwup/comment/eipqetw?st=JTDTX51B&sh=fd37350b

:doge

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2019, 12:41:48 AM »
i thought the temperature stopped going up after 1998

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2019, 12:42:49 AM »
wait you just linked to a comment on reddit with three upvotes

you've gone full benji never go full benji

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2019, 12:45:36 AM »

I never said this. Please read what I actually write if you're going to bother to respond.

You're the one throwing around scary terms about "exploitation," "taken advantage of," "used as pawns," "indoctrinated" etc. etc. based on literally nothing other than your own vague discomfort.

I don't have a problem with the kids here though.

You called them hypocrites for going to air conditioned schools!
Dial back on the snark mate.
Spud

shosta

« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2019, 12:49:09 AM »
this thread is exactly what the internet needed
每天生气

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2019, 12:50:03 AM »

or else what? you'll commit an atrocious hate crime against some minorities???

actually that would be bad I'll try to be nicer to you

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2019, 12:59:28 AM »
I think a lot of people underestimate how conservative the younger generation is. Part of it is probably wanting to be edgy, but it’s difficult to ignore the support for conservative ideas among children (especially boys) under 18. Being liberal is equated with being a pussy.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2019, 12:59:42 AM »

or else what? you'll commit an atrocious hate crime against some minorities???

actually that would be bad I'll try to be nicer to you
:foodcourt
Looks like we're getting into a "Fuck you." "No, fuck you." war, and I kinda came here to get away from that.

Like I said, we can agree to disagree on this. Maybe I've misinterpreted some of your comments and maybe you've misinterpreted some of mine. I'll revisit the thread tonight after I get home from work and if I have more to add, I'll do it then. Discussions like this are probably best not done on mobile really.
Spud

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2019, 01:08:03 AM »
nah your post was just bad, and you dug in to defend it. understandable reaction but still wrong

should ask yourself why you got so hyperbolic and conspiratorial about some minor activism by kids. what's the underlying thing that bothered you so bad?

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2019, 01:10:49 AM »
I think a lot of people underestimate how conservative the younger generation is. Part of it is probably wanting to be edgy, but it’s difficult to ignore the support for conservative ideas among children (especially boys) under 18. Being liberal is equated with being a pussy.

They're not monolithic by any measure but I think it's also a trap to overestimate the online edgelord culture that's visible to us here on Al Gore's internet.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2019, 01:12:03 AM »
My biggest problem with people that clearly don't bother doing anything against climate change or don't even believe in it like Nintex is that they call out people that do care and try as hypocrites for not always succeeding. It's fucking cynical.

Person 1: We got to do a,b,c,d,e to save the enviroment. This is really important. You're a huge dick if you don't. Does a,b,c,d.

Person 2:  Lol you fucking hypocrite with a hidden agenda you just want to feel good about yourself you didn't even do e. Also it doesn't even matter if we do something cause people in X country don't do anything. That's why Im not going to bother at all.  Doesn't do anything to help.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2019, 01:16:32 AM »
Also saying its a religion would make sense if it wasn't science, which is the opposite of religion.