Author Topic: Epic Game Store - The Other Free Game Thread  (Read 75752 times)

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Re: Epic Games Store thread. TORCHLIGHT up!!! Limbo next.
« Reply #180 on: August 02, 2019, 07:11:00 PM »
Ooblets going EGS exclusive with a nice condescending fuck you from the devs in case you were hoping to buy it anywhere else

(Image removed from quote.)

Ah yes, Epic helping out those "starving artists" by scooping up a popular game already near completion; from a developer that currently has ~1200 Patreon subscribers; who had already secured a publisher (Double Fine) and then dropped them in favor of "self-publishing" eight weeks ago.
I don't blame them, as the pair probably made off with half a million dollars each, but don't expect me to buy the game - especially not after that condescending blog post.

looks like some cut-rate my time at portia ripoff anyway
dog

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #181 on: August 02, 2019, 10:39:09 PM »
I can't hate on people who aim for a guaranteed income. :larry

No, I definitely don’t fault indie devs for taking the money.
©@©™

bluemax

« Reply #182 on: August 02, 2019, 11:30:31 PM »
Thanks to the EGS for letting me try Moonlighter, a game I almost purchased on Switch, after half an hour I discovered a year old game breaking bug. So hey $15 saved.
NO

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #183 on: August 03, 2019, 01:49:38 AM »
I'm already in a world of multi-clients because of EA and Ubi, and I can wait for games to come to Steam eventually like Borderlands 3 will, plus I'll take free games anyway even if they're repeats just because the odd one is unique like City of Brass, but I really wish Epic would work on the fucking client. They update it as much as Valve does Steam (if you're in the betas) but it's mostly all on the backend. Even the web browser part of the client for the store is shitty. uPlay's come a long way but this thing is operating more like a bad Origin. Hell, I'd rather use battle.net. Why can't I show the library in a list instead of this format? Why does the "back" button not actually go back but takes you to the Store homepage? Why does it reload everything? Why are there barely any options for anything? Why does it notify you of new Unreal Engine versions if you don't have the UDK installed? What's the purpose of a lot of this when it opens it in a tab in your regular browser when you click?

benjipwns

« Reply #184 on: August 03, 2019, 01:54:01 AM »
ooh, found this on the settings page: https://trello.com/b/GXLc34hk/epic-games-store-roadmap

in list Near Term (1 - 3 Months)
LABELS
Updates Ongoing
Player Quality of Life

Description
Add sorting, filtering and different views to the library. Add support for moving installs and rediscovering existing installs.

Update: We've completed the design iteration and the first pass on all UI components.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #185 on: August 03, 2019, 09:53:39 AM »
I can't hate on people who aim for a guaranteed income. :larry

Same here! Personally I understand smaller studio's wanting to get a guaranteed income.

Sadly, there are plenty of folks like me who have no intention of ever buying anything from the EGS. And by doing so, I might miss their next game and Epic will probably not give them a guaranteed income a second time?

But I'd have way more respect for some of these devs if they do it like Double Fine did it.

They wanted to give us money, so we said yes. That's it! You don't need to shit on people who have no desire to use the EGS! You don't have to be a condescending prick talking down to folks who have no intention to use the store! You don't need to shit on folks who live in a country where the EGS is screwing you on currency.

Ooblets looks like a sweet and cute game. If it ever comes to Steam I'll probably still pick it up.
What

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #186 on: August 03, 2019, 10:35:37 AM »
They wanted to give us money, so we said yes. That's it! You don't need to shit on people who have no desire to use the EGS! You don't have to be a condescending prick talking down to folks who have no intention to use the store! You don't need to shit on folks who live in a country where the EGS is screwing you on currency.

Ooblets looks like a sweet and cute game. If it ever comes to Steam I'll probably still pick it up.
This is one of the most legitimate complaints about all this, along with promised Steam keys/pre-orders being canceled. The client is shit/hilariously barebones, but they'll get to it, some day...
Yeah, some devs are going to be defiant about their decision to go Epic exclusive or pretend it's not about the money to save face (?). Yet the conniptions people are having about this are embarrassing to me. Respect my authority as a customer? Chinese spy-store? Punish the devs who take the money? Pirate to show them what's for! Tim Sweeney wants to destroy PC gaming? It's all REEEEEEE to me.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 11:08:50 AM by Rufus »

benjipwns

« Reply #187 on: August 03, 2019, 10:50:30 AM »
Tim Schafer and Double Fine in general have done a lot to earn people's trust over the years through their transparency and overall frankness about their struggles/successes/etc.

a lot of Valve's goodwill comes from when they were the same way, hiring the mod teams for CS, TFC, etc., the way they presented the TF2 updates, etc. that's obviously shifted but they worked hard to also sell Steam when it was just Valve games still to people and then a few indies trickling in along with Rockstar/2K; that's diminished but Valve still holds goodwill from that

Epic's weirdly secretive nature and the way these announcements are coming out, especially when there's Kickstarters or worse, pre-orders open, already gets people questionable about it, but some teams like Obsidian can use their goodwill and sell it

it's funny in some ways because as much media handwringing about how Gamers are not appreciative and hostile towards developers and games journalists, certain groups of those parties are right back at it in the same way, which just fuels the cycle over and over

Epic's trying, but it's sorta ass-backwards to how Valve accomplished their store, Epic isn't really selling the platform yet as much as trying to grab users piecemeal (via Fortnite, via exclusives, etc.) while they get to establishing the user experience well down the road, just look at the Trello map (and the hints at how much manpower the client experience itself gets)

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #188 on: August 03, 2019, 12:10:58 PM »
Gotta say though, Sweeney reached Pitchfordian levels of PR nightmare. :lol

He's gone full neener-neener.

https://twitter.com/TimSweeneyEpic/status/1157561293995462657

benjipwns

« Reply #189 on: August 03, 2019, 12:32:28 PM »
not surprised that someone worth an illegal amount of wealth is mocking the working class gamer for their desire to secure their gaming human rights

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #190 on: August 03, 2019, 12:38:19 PM »
His own peons can't be happy about this.

I wonder if those with stock options can legally slap his wrist. :hmm

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #191 on: August 03, 2019, 12:45:32 PM »
why does he have a super low rez image as an avatar

benjipwns

« Reply #192 on: August 03, 2019, 12:47:38 PM »
you have to wait for the higher res textures to pop-in

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #193 on: August 03, 2019, 01:25:09 PM »
I think it's in development at the same team doing the features for the Epic Store, so it might be awhile before you get to see the hi res version
What

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #194 on: August 03, 2019, 06:57:11 PM »
Hi-rez Tim Sweeney lewds on his patreon
©@©™

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #196 on: August 06, 2019, 05:58:54 AM »
Wow fack off, first let Ooblets dev insult anyone who isnt for the EGS and then Tim Sweeney says hey this way of announcing epic exclusivity is awesome , THEN put out a statement crying over abuse?

Mmmm yeah suck it
What

kingv

« Reply #198 on: August 06, 2019, 11:21:39 PM »
This ooblets game looks like straight to mobile trash. Does anybody really care where it’s being released?

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #199 on: August 07, 2019, 12:39:25 AM »
This ooblets game looks like straight to mobile trash. Does anybody really care where it’s being released?

I'm excited about it, but I haven't ever played a Pokemon game, which is its largest component, design-wise.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #200 on: August 07, 2019, 12:41:19 AM »
I keep conflating Ooblets and Elebits for some reason. The names aren't even remotely close.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #201 on: August 07, 2019, 01:17:00 AM »
Yeah sure is a shame how you got backlash over being a bunch of insufferable smug pricks with your exclusivity announcement. :doge
Hi

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #202 on: August 07, 2019, 07:40:24 AM »
The harassment aint cool I saw some shit fly by like some Mel Gibson I hope your bitch get raped by a pack of..... type shit.

That is really .. just beyond belief that someone would say that.

And then they call ME a manbaby!  :lol
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #203 on: August 07, 2019, 07:41:21 AM »

I'm excited about it, but I haven't ever played a Pokemon game, which is its largest component, design-wise.

:confused
What

Tasty

« Reply #204 on: August 07, 2019, 09:34:25 AM »
Yeah chrono that makes no sense lol.

Chooky

« Reply #205 on: August 07, 2019, 11:21:15 AM »
i swear this whole thing about EGS is pissing me off almost as much as gamergate used to. i fucking love video games just as much now as when i was a little kid, but the endless self-righteous screeching and complaining and entitlement over NOTHING makes it almost impossible to enjoy participating in any sort of online gaming community. finding people to discuss and celebrate good games is hard as hell when the conversations constantly turn towards something that resembles a fucking two-year-old screaming at their parents. stop demanding the impossible from devs, stop acting like everything is a personal attack, and walk away from shit you don't like instead of howling about how unfair it is.

tldr i fucking hate yall

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #207 on: August 07, 2019, 12:01:33 PM »
i swear this whole thing about EGS is pissing me off almost as much as gamergate used to. i fucking love video games just as much now as when i was a little kid, but the endless self-righteous screeching and complaining and entitlement over NOTHING makes it almost impossible to enjoy participating in any sort of online gaming community. finding people to discuss and celebrate good games is hard as hell when the conversations constantly turn towards something that resembles a fucking two-year-old screaming at their parents. stop demanding the impossible from devs, stop acting like everything is a personal attack, and walk away from shit you don't like instead of howling about how unfair it is.

tldr i fucking hate yall

Holy shit calm down psycho
What

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #208 on: August 07, 2019, 03:10:24 PM »
Case in point :hitler

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #209 on: August 07, 2019, 09:18:39 PM »
Yeah chrono that makes no sense lol.

Isn't Ooblets, in large part, based on Pokemon? There's farming and exploration, but I thought the core gameplay is finding and raising creatures, and having them battle for the player?

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #210 on: August 08, 2019, 10:27:07 AM »
reading up it looks like an animal crossing/pokemon hybrid with the whole ooblets trainers and dance battles thing but then you also get things to design a house and garden?

aka boring as fuck :zzz

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #211 on: August 08, 2019, 04:14:38 PM »
Mutant Year Zero up next  :o
___

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #212 on: August 08, 2019, 04:38:22 PM »
Mutant Year Zero is a pretty good game.
dog

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #213 on: August 23, 2019, 05:00:49 AM »
Celeste'll be up next week. (Also Inside which I didn't care about.)

benjipwns

« Reply #214 on: August 23, 2019, 10:00:44 AM »
Phil Fish still getting paid :pitbull

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #215 on: August 23, 2019, 10:27:58 AM »
Thanks for the free Celeste, suckers. 8)
©@©™

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #216 on: August 23, 2019, 12:43:19 PM »
Celeste..meh if I wanted to play it Id have already done so on GwG

Also..Epic..the saviors of Indie gaming

tldr;
Dude was making a horror/puzzle game that was top 50 wishlisted on Steam, Epic contacted him to make it exclusive, he rejected it because he didn't want to shit on his fanbase who had followed the game on Steam for a long time. Also the fact he said it would release on Steam and he didn't want to go back on his word because then it would mean nothing.

That email from Epic though  :lol Trying to pinch the game away from steam just such a short time from launch.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 12:50:56 PM by MMaRsu »
What

benjipwns

« Reply #217 on: September 17, 2019, 04:52:48 PM »
another quality Launcher update:

benjipwns

« Reply #218 on: September 17, 2019, 04:57:00 PM »
The giant X is a link to something but clicking it does nothing.

Or does it? :hmm

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #219 on: September 17, 2019, 04:59:55 PM »
Every time you click it, Epic gets another free game but a game you don’t remember buying is removed from your Steam account.
©@©™

BisMarckie

« Reply #220 on: September 17, 2019, 05:01:04 PM »
Every time you click it, Epic gets another free game but a game you don’t remember buying is removed from your Steam account.

Good bye Turbo Pug DX.  :-\

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #221 on: September 17, 2019, 05:05:38 PM »
I hope it works fine once I start actually using it for anything other than redeeming free games.

benjipwns

« Reply #222 on: September 17, 2019, 05:28:40 PM »
The best part is you can't really launch the games outside of it anymore. It doesn't have a background thing/temporary pop-up like every other launcher. Or even itself a year ago.

I'm more fascinated by the fact that they keep breaking the launcher but it often takes them days to fix it than I am ever upset about it. Valve ships out patches even at weird hours when it has these problems. I've even seen Ubi patch on a weekend.

They never used to outright break the launcher like this, even after Fortnite took off. But since the Store it's become even more of a mess.

They actually changed the Library order recently from having your installed games listed first and both groups then in alpha order, to having all games listed alphabetically no matter what.

And yes, it still refreshes pages every time. It's amazing how screwed up this thing still is. Even when the built in browser for Steam was half busted for like that whole year it wasn't this broken. :lol

Tuckers Law

« Reply #223 on: September 17, 2019, 06:01:31 PM »
Have you tried it on a different machine?

Never had these issues;  it’s just featureless lol

Would trying it on another computer fix this issue, even assuming for a moment that benji has more than one gaming pc?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 06:05:32 PM by Tuckers Law »

benjipwns

« Reply #224 on: September 17, 2019, 06:02:29 PM »
hey man you don't have to fight against me, I'm a launcher ally:

shit, forgot bethesdas

edit:

:pitbull

Tuckers Law

« Reply #225 on: September 17, 2019, 06:06:29 PM »
hey man you don't have to fight against me, I'm a launcher ally:

shit, forgot bethesdas

edit:

:pitbull

What’s that one on the far right, with the five diamonds?

benjipwns

« Reply #226 on: September 17, 2019, 06:10:17 PM »
Dropbox

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #227 on: September 17, 2019, 06:15:06 PM »
the only launcher that matters
What

Tuckers Law

« Reply #228 on: September 17, 2019, 06:19:22 PM »
Oh right, I knew I knew it from somewhere but just couldn’t place it; I always forget about dropbox’s desktop app.

benjipwns

« Reply #229 on: September 17, 2019, 06:27:40 PM »
One of these game launchers having Dropbox's LAN sync for the game files would be pretty hot. Especially Steam because my laptop is on Linux.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #230 on: September 18, 2019, 04:21:00 PM »
I mean EGS sucks

You read it here first, folks: White Knight of Chinese Spyware, Spytious thinks his fair maiden is ugly.

:yikes

nachobro

• Live Más

benjipwns

« Reply #232 on: September 19, 2019, 01:36:40 PM »
Next set of games are Metro 2033 Redux and Everything.

IIRC, both the Metro Redux's being free games were leaked back when the exclusive thing came around.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #233 on: September 20, 2019, 09:50:50 AM »
Literally everything. Just come get whatever you want for free out of the store, we're done pretending to sell games.
©@©™

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #234 on: September 21, 2019, 02:32:15 AM »
everything is a game i've been dying to play since i've discovered it but it has never been on fucking sale, or at least not when i've looked. i adore david o'reilly's work and feel almost guilty that i'll be getting it for free though i'm sure epic paid him a good amount

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #235 on: September 28, 2019, 11:23:43 PM »
Apparently you can’t change the resolution in settings? Doesn’t upset me too much since old UE3 games make me want to throw up.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #236 on: September 29, 2019, 05:24:31 AM »
Stop acting like Origins doesn't exist WB!

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #237 on: September 29, 2019, 10:08:42 AM »
High Key. I think it's best from a gameplay standpoint, had the best enemy encounters etc. I liked the story too. City only edges it out as the best overall because City had some great set pieces and moments. Asylum is nice because it feels focused but the last third sucks. Knight is a gorgeous looking game that does way too much. Funny enough the Batgirl DLC is the exact kinda focused experience I think they were great at and need to return to for a full fledged game. The games are at their best when they playout like an intense, slightly scary TAS two parter.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #238 on: October 01, 2019, 09:47:04 AM »
Gotta say though, Sweeney reached Pitchfordian levels of PR nightmare. :lol

Speaking of which:

Today on TIMU shitposts in the Chinese Spyware Store thread™:

Spytious on suicide watch.

OH NO NO NO. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! and all that.

Epic, Epic.
Yes, :gaben ?
Boredlands 3 sold well?
Yes, papa.
Telling lies?
No, papa.
Open your sales data.
*Epic doesn't*

benjipwns