Author Topic: Genesis Mini!!! Emulation by M2 :o Gunstar Heroes, Castlevania Bloodlines, etc  (Read 17151 times)

Bebpo

Got this setup on mine, but while I added some stuff it just showed me how damn good the selection in the mini is because Iíd keep thinking to add a game and it was already on there. Outside Musha and Rocket knight and Shining Force II and a couple others, the mini selection is pretty much the best of the era.

/I donít enjoy Sonic games as an adult

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Yup, the Genesis was buns. You can pretty much put all "the good games" in one go and be done with it

SNES is leaps better no question no contest, enjoy being on the wrong side of history
fat

MMaRsu

Got this setup on mine, but while I added some stuff it just showed me how damn good the selection in the mini is because Iíd keep thinking to add a game and it was already on there. Outside Musha and Rocket knight and Shining Force II and a couple others, the mini selection is pretty much the best of the era.

:comeon

Even Mania?

Bebpo

Yeah, Mania was ok but it got hard and didn't bother finishing it. At some point I realized I don't like my platformers to have momentum physics.

Stro

• #SaturnSquad
Sonic Mania was significantly easier than Sonic 1/2/3 + Knuckles and CD

MMaRsu

Yeah but Bepbo has just gotten old..let's just ignore the old man

Tasty

Those "go-around orbs" in the final level of Mania can fuck off into the sun. (I did beat it, though.)

At some point I realized I don't like my platformers to have momentum physics.

I mean, Mario is also a momentum-based platformer, but the lack of run button for precise control has a knock-on effect to Sonic's design that paired with "gotta go fast (but only sometimes)" makes the series... unpalatable to me as a platformer fan. Starting out from a dead stop in Sonic ALWAYS feels bad (to me), and that's why they had to add the Spin Dash, but that's kind of a hammer-for-a-screw "fix."

Combine trying to jump a series of vertical moving platforms (which involves turning, walking, and jumping all from dead stops) with the whole "you die if you intersect even 1 pixel in between platforms" issue, and actual platforming in Sonic is kind of a nightmare. Then try to do all that underwater with a ticking clock.

Mario doesn't kill you if you intersect moving platforms (to my knowledge), and it doesn't have a ticking clock underwater. These are both improvements on Sonic's design, and no amount of "well git gud" will change my mind on that.

Just used to what I'm used to I suppose.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 05:39:48 PM by Tasty Meat »

Bebpo

Those "go-around orbs" in the final level of Mania can fuck off into the sun. (I did beat it, though.)

At some point I realized I don't like my platformers to have momentum physics.

I mean, Mario is also a momentum-based platformer, but the lack of run button for precise control has a knock-on effect to Sonic's design that paired with "gotta go fast (but only sometimes)" makes the series... unpalatable to me as a platformer fan. Starting out from a dead stop in Sonic ALWAYS feels bad (to me), and that's why they had to add the Spin Dash, but that's kind of a hammer-for-a-screw "fix."

Combine trying to jump a series of vertical moving platforms (which involves turning, walking, and jumping all from dead stops) with the whole "you die if you intersect even 1 pixel in between platforms" issue, and actual platforming in Sonic is kind of a nightmare. Then try to do all that underwater with a ticking clock.

Mario doesn't kill you if you intersect moving platforms (to my knowledge), and it doesn't have a ticking clock underwater. These are both improvements on Sonic's design, and no amount of "well git gud" will change my mind on that.

Just used to what I'm used to I suppose.

Yeah, this is why I don't really like platforming in sonic games.

Tasty

Seriously though the Genesis controller has three whole faces buttons and they all do the same thing? Jump? That's it??

That's Wii Music levels of "limitations and simplicity actually enhance the experience!" :nintendo

I'm not saying a dedicated run button would fix Sonic, but it would make the game more fun to control.

MMaRsu

To be fair, the water sections in Sonic Mania are really easy compared to Sonic 3 or Sonic 2.

Tried playing Sonic 3 Complete and it just feels a lot stiffer than in my memory. But still got through the first act without getting hit  :leon

Yeah I need to get a 6 button pad, don't think I ever had a regular three button pad. Can't even play MK3 with this shit lol.

Stro

• #SaturnSquad
3 button pad is and always was fucking trash. Even Nintendo's never ending string of gimmick controllers post SNES can't compare to the dogshit 3 button Sega pad.

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan

I was a Sega mark in the 80s/90s and I never have liked the Sonic games.

Svejk

I've come to realize too, I only really liked Sanic as a kid... Past couple times I tried to replay them, and tried Mania too, they just lose my interest pretty quickly now.  Still love the colorful Sega vibe and jamming tunes, but the gameplay is just something of the past. 

MMaRsu

Ill disagree the gameplay in mania is great

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
I still like to go back and play Sonic 1 and Mania.  That's it.
ど助平

Svejk

Sonic 2 will always be my jam though... I can't even count how much I played that game religiously. #Sonic2sDay4Life

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
3 is still my fave Sonic. Mania was good but the last level with the rotating spheres was a total chore to get through, and a few of the boss fights were shitty (the Oil Ocean boss in particular where it was so easy to get crushed by the falling blocks).
^_^

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
The OG is meh but 2, 3&K and Mania are excellent. My favorite 2D platformers for sure.

There is one shitty classic sonic though, and that's Sonic CD. GOAT intro but the game itself fucking sucks.

I love the US soundtrack (Spencer Nilsen :bow2) but those level designs are just so damn sloppy and feel completely thrown together. Definitely the weakest entry in classic Sonic.
^_^

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Tonight I uninstalled Project Lunar and tried out the newest Hakchi CE, which has Genesis Mini support.

I think I would recommend that over Lunar. If you are familiar with Hakchi from the NES/SNES the UI should feel familiar. It also does some things better than Lunar (Folders, Save State compression, better use of Retroarch). It also does not throw in annoying "games" that are just symlinks to different things, so you can actually have "only games" staring you in the face.

The only real drawback is that it doesn't have a good "scraper" for getting spine/boxart - Lunar does this perfectly. But I am sure Hakchi will be updated for this as well. For now you have to add your own / use the built in search.

https://github.com/TeamShinkansen/Hakchi2-CE/releases
fat

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

Svejk

No Lunars or Snatcher?  :trash

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
No Lunars or Snatcher?  :trash

Maybe?  It will have 50 games.

:idont
ど助平

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Sega of America will release it with Sonic 1-3 again and 47 copies of Sewer Shark.
©@©ô

Svejk

Sega of America will release it with Sonic 1-3 again and 47 copies of Sewer Shark.
And both the Sega CD and 32X versions Corpse Killer.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Curious if the new model has improved emulation. Would be great and almost worth price of import for that.
fat

Svejk

Or actual 6 button controllers.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Or actual 6 button controllers.

From the website

Controller looks like shit quality -- those garbage clones at department stores lol
fat

Svejk

Been meaning to ask .. Used Lunar to add a few extra games on there.  Only about 60 games on there total taking up roughly 75% of the storage, iirc, so I'm not maxing it out.  But when playing on there, there's definitely some noticable lag/delay.  Is it the crap controllers? Or is it the mini itself just processing slowly?  It's rather shitty and frustrating actually.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Project Lunar is booty and never going to be updated. I would use Hakchi instead. Dont think either will help with any lag you may be feeling
fat