Author Topic: Genesis/Mega Drive Mini 1 and 2  (Read 25791 times)

Bebpo

Re: Genesis Mini!!! Emulation by M2 :o Gunstar Heroes, Castlevania Bloodlines, etc
« Reply #240 on: September 24, 2019, 04:56:02 PM »
Started playing Phantasy Star IV after duckroll was giving me lots of shit for having never played Link's Awakening before the Switch remake and never having played PSIV. (I never had a Gameboy or Genesis or N64 growing up! [but I borrowed my friends N64 to play & beat the 2 Zeldas and Mario 64, Turok & Goldeneye]).

Seems cool, once I turned message/battle speed on fast it moves at a fast clip. Art is nice and it feels good playing on a genesis controller. Nice music too. The only annoying dated thing is there are all these spells with weird names and no information on what they do so I'm having to use them on myself or enemies and figure it out. I still don't know what the MC's "earth" move does since it is against an enemy and doesn't do any damage numbers?

Probably just need to wiki spells/attacks.

I heard the translation is really bad, but I switched it over to the Japanese version thanks to the mini having both and while it reads smoother, the Japanese dialogue is also very limited by the small text boxes and pretty basic, so probably will just be lazy and play in English.

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
Re: Genesis Mini!!! Emulation by M2 :o Gunstar Heroes, Castlevania Bloodlines, etc
« Reply #241 on: September 24, 2019, 05:08:13 PM »
What's worth replaying on this?

•Castlevania: Bloodlines
•Shining Force
•Altered Beast
•Gunstar Heroes
•Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse
•Thunder Force 3
•Shinobi 3
•Streets of Rage 2
•Contra: Hard Corps
•Ghouls ’n Ghosts
•Golden Axe
•Darius
•Road Rash 2
•Strider

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #242 on: September 24, 2019, 05:08:50 PM »
What's worth replaying on this?

Light Crusader rules
Beyond Oasis rules
Phantasy Star 4 rules (Zio battle is a classic)
Shining Force... is cool
Castlevania rules
Contra rules (also really hard)
Landstalker rules

Everything else is cool but would love to replace some stuff (Ecco? Lul)
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #243 on: September 24, 2019, 08:30:15 PM »
Thanks. I'd played a lot of Genesis games at a friends house growing up but never beat any of them or got more than 1 session in since I didn't own one. Started playing Streets of Rage 2 as well last night and pretty into it.

Bebpo

« Reply #244 on: September 24, 2019, 11:54:05 PM »
I started playing Contra Hard Corps and holy fuck this is amazing and way crazier than Super Contra. But holy fuck I need more than 3 lives given the trial & error of Contra. Time to see if there's any in-game cheat codes.

remy

• my hog is small but it is mighty
« Reply #245 on: September 25, 2019, 12:38:44 AM »
I couldn't get through like 3 screens of hardcorps (probotector on the euro one) somehow as a kid I remember making it to level 2, I don't know what kinda shit I was on  :doge

I had a MD growing up, but a lot of these games are ones we didn't have for whatever reason.

Castlevania: The New Generation
    Shining Force
    Gunstar Heroes
    Thunder Force III
    Super Fantasy Zone
    Shinobi III
    Landstalker
    The Story of Thor
    Vectorman
    Wonder Boy in Monster World
    Darius
    Strider
    lisia Dragoon
    Kid Chameleon
    Monster World IV
    Eternal Champions
    Dynamite Headdy
    Light Crusader
...are all new to me so I'm on a bit of a discovery trip. The Story of Thor/Beyond Oasis seemed really dope from what I played

Bebpo

« Reply #246 on: September 25, 2019, 12:48:45 AM »
Yeah, I think besides the Sonic games, Gunstar Heroes is probably the only thing on here I played from start to finish. Though I think that was later in my life when I got into Treasure and went back and played all their games.

I couldn't get through like 3 screens of hardcorps (probotector on the euro one) somehow as a kid I remember making it to level 2, I don't know what kinda shit I was on  :doge

haha, thanks for making me feel less bad about only making it to stage 2.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #247 on: September 25, 2019, 12:50:07 AM »
I started playing Contra Hard Corps and holy fuck this is amazing and way crazier than Super Contra. But holy fuck I need more than 3 lives given the trial & error of Contra. Time to see if there's any in-game cheat codes.

Switch the language/region to Japan- you get a lifebar and unlimited continues.
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #248 on: September 25, 2019, 01:07:08 AM »

Switch the language/region to Japan- you get a lifebar and unlimited continues.

:doge

Well, I saw there's also a 70 lives cheat code, so yeah one of those will get me through it. I like Contra and don't mind hard trial & error Contra, but some extra lives to learn the stuff would be helpful.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #249 on: September 25, 2019, 01:44:21 AM »
This was one of those games that they intentionally made harder when released outside Japan.  Not as bad as some of the shit Working Designs did back then, but still makes me wonder what the point in removing the lifebars was, number of continues aside.
:dizzy
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #250 on: September 25, 2019, 01:55:49 AM »
But most Contra games don't have lifebars and you die in 1 hit? I would think it's more that they added the lifebars for an easier JP version.

This was one of those games that they intentionally made harder when released outside Japan.  Not as bad as some of the shit Working Designs did back then, but still makes me wonder what the point in removing the lifebars was, number of continues aside.
:dizzy

But yeah DMC3 and moreso Onimusha 4 will always be the worst offenders of this.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #251 on: September 25, 2019, 02:12:48 AM »
Am assuming it was designed with the lifebar (really three hit points) in mind, then changed for us or released "incomplete." (We got it first)  The number of continues even differs in all regions.  WHY? :lol

The North American version was significantly harder than its Japanese counterpart, titled Contra: The Hard Corps, due to the removal of a life gauge that allows the player to take three hits from an enemy before losing a life. The Japanese version also features unlimited continues, in contrast with the American version, which only allows the player to continue five times.

The PAL version of the game is titled Probotector and like the European localizations of previous Contra games for home consoles, the main characters (CX-1 through 4) and some of the enemies were renamed and replaced with robotic counterparts (Browny was left unchanged, with only his name changed). The plot was also rewritten, with Colonel Bahamut and Dead-Eye Joe being redesigned as humanoid aliens, and the alien cell was replaced with a computer device called the "X-Drive".

The gameplay is the same as the North American version, but the player only has four continues in the European version, instead of five like in the North American release. Some cutscenes were also altered. For example, the player character no longer identifies the boss of Stage 1, a robot previously thought unmanned, to be piloted by a man, or Dr. Geo Mandrake being eaten by a monster created in his merger machine. It is also impossible to side with the Alien General in this version, thus eliminating one of the endings.

Pretty cool that you can check out all three versions on this thing. 
ど助平

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #252 on: September 25, 2019, 09:39:19 AM »
The Contra collection that was released not too long ago also lets you do that.  I actually have a repro that uses a hack to have the Japanese version but with English translation.  If you have a Everdrive or other emulator,  it's the best way to play the game.

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #253 on: September 25, 2019, 09:42:07 AM »
Thanks. I'd played a lot of Genesis games at a friends house growing up but never beat any of them or got more than 1 session in since I didn't own one. Started playing Streets of Rage 2 as well last night and pretty into it.

SOR2 is widely recognized as one of the top 3 beat em ups of all time, but alll of the SOR games are well worth playing.  Though with 3, if you can play the Japanese version, it's the better choice.  Another example where the US version was made harder for whatever reason, it's worse than Contra as the enemies are suuuuper cheap in the US version.

BisMarckie

« Reply #254 on: September 25, 2019, 09:43:48 AM »
Impressions of that thing seem to be generally positive, so I guess this will be my christmas gift this year which is kind of appropriate I guess since I got the Mega Drive for christmas 28 years ago.  :doge

Svejk

« Reply #255 on: September 25, 2019, 10:30:08 AM »
Impressions of that thing seem to be generally positive, so I guess this will be my christmas gift this year which is kind of appropriate I guess since I got the Mega Drive for christmas 28 years ago.  :doge
Got mine for Christmas too.  (I remember finding the receipt in a supposedly "stashed" Lionel Play World bag;  still remember $189.99)   Having Altered Beast, Last Battle and Space Harrier II truly felt like the next level of gaming. 
If I wasn't such a minimalist nowadays, I would totally get this thing.

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #256 on: September 25, 2019, 10:45:39 AM »
Got mine for Christmas too.  (I remember finding the receipt in a supposedly "stashed" Lionel Play World bag;  still remember $189.99)   Having Altered Beast, Last Battle and Space Harrier II truly felt like the next level of gaming. 
If I wasn't such a minimalist nowadays, I would totally get this thing.

I got mine at launch.  It was the pictures of Altered Beast in EGM that had me hyped and I saved money over the summer from mowing lawns and shit to get it.

I'm old.

:goldberg

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #257 on: September 25, 2019, 01:02:05 PM »
Didn't get a Genesis until the Nomad in 1996!  Had a Playstation before I had it, lol.

As a kid, none of my friends had a Genesis.  My brother's friend had one, though.  When I went to his house, I was always just stunned at how amazing the games looked at the time.  First instance of that "arcade at home" feeling.

But we ended up getting a Super Nintendo- mainly because of Street Fighter II.  Later on when I got the Nomad, I got all into the Genesis games and wound up getting a CDX and 32X.  Loved that library way more than the Nintendo stuff overall. 

Memories
 :aah
ど助平

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #258 on: September 25, 2019, 01:58:18 PM »
I was always a Sega guy - I was the one nerd that had the SMS instead of the NES

:gamer

I had to draw the line after the 32X.  I was going to college in the middle of Iowa at the time and had to bum a ride to get to Software Etc in Iowa City to drop $300 for it with Star Wars, Doom and Cosmic Carnage (lol).  Great the first night but after the ditch weed and Old Milwaukee buzz wore off I was all like

:juicy

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #259 on: September 25, 2019, 02:01:22 PM »
We’ve all done things we’re not proud of on ditch weed.
©@©™

Bebpo

« Reply #260 on: September 25, 2019, 03:26:26 PM »
My friend who had genesis was really into sports, so most of my genesis playtime growing up was Joe Montana football, Madden football, and Jordan vs Bird

Svejk

« Reply #261 on: September 25, 2019, 03:31:21 PM »
I was always a Sega guy - I was the one nerd that had the SMS instead of the NES

:gamer
:respect

Chooky

« Reply #262 on: September 25, 2019, 05:51:18 PM »
i busted my ass all summer so i could afford this deal:

never did get into the genesis as much as the snes but there were still plenty of damn good games over the years. also most of my friends chose it over the snes so i played a ton of multiplayer stuff bc of that, mostly old EA games. they put out a lot of great shit for the genesis, unfortunately a lot of it isn't as well known anymore.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #263 on: September 25, 2019, 11:03:14 PM »
Christmas 1991 I chose Genesis over the SNES simply due to it having Phantasy Star 2 and 3. Later got an SNES in '94 because I needed those Square and Enix RPGs...
^_^

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #264 on: September 25, 2019, 11:56:26 PM »
Sometime in 91 or 92 my grandpa bought me and my brother a Genesis for some reason. He didn't even know anything about it or even about video games in general, I guess he just saw it in a store and thought we'd like it. We sold our NES and games and used the money to buy Sonic 2 [which cost like $80].
dog

paprikastaude

« Reply #265 on: September 26, 2019, 01:12:23 PM »
Sonic the Hedgehog, first game ever played. Couldn't get past the first Robotnick. Game isn't really good after the first world anyway - still hardcore nostalgia. :doge

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #266 on: September 26, 2019, 01:25:11 PM »
I had NES/SNES and parents wisely would never let me have another system. I got to play some of the bigger games because friends had it, but generally just the crap stuff I wasn’t too interested in. Think fave games were Joe Montana and that (likely garbo?) Holyfield boxing game.

We never had a genesis in the house until the mini, which I convinced my brother he wanted.  :brain

I didn’t get to play any of the RPGs/etc. until way later when I got a Nomad on the cheap.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #267 on: September 26, 2019, 01:29:39 PM »
I had a Genesis and spent a good amount of my childhood with it, especially Light Crusader which is why I'm so glad they included it.
fat

Svejk

« Reply #268 on: September 26, 2019, 01:41:08 PM »
I should be ashamed that I haven't played through Light Crusader yet.   :(  Especially as much as I love Treasure and Landstalker, I just never got around to it. 

paprikastaude

« Reply #269 on: September 27, 2019, 05:42:35 PM »
Not gonna lie, SNES is superior in every genre, except action games. First time I played SoR2 and Shinobi 3 on some collection :whoo This impression will solidify if Hard Corps is as good as people say.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #270 on: September 27, 2019, 06:09:03 PM »
My bro and me had a NES, which we just called: "The Nintendo" and a gaming capable PC.
Then we got new neighbors and the kid next door had a Megadrive, which we called "The SEGA".

On weekends we would stay at my place and play the likes of Double Dragon II, Super Mario Bros. 3, Mega Man, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2 and whatever else we could get our hands on in between LEGO sessions and plastic soldier wars.
On Wednesday's we would hang at his crib and play Two Crude Dudes, Power Rangers, Shinobi and other greats when we were done playing with the Action Man, Power Ranger robots and GI Joe's.

If only I could go back to those times for one day :tocry

I actually bought a Mega Drive about 5 - 6 years ago. Thinking I could 'relive' those days and although it was great to finally be able to play the Sonic & Knuckles tower we desperately wanted back then, it just wasn't the same.
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #271 on: September 27, 2019, 07:40:44 PM »
Not gonna lie, SNES is superior in every genre, except action games. First time I played SoR2 and Shinobi 3 on some collection :whoo This impression will solidify if Hard Corps is as good as people say.

I think sports might’ve been better too. Outside Super Tecmo Bowl I don’t remember any SNES sports stuff. I guess Punchout if that counts but it’s more an arcade game than sport to me. Did Genesis have NBA Jam? That was big on SNES too.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #272 on: September 27, 2019, 09:26:52 PM »
Uh hello, play Super Soccer on your switch dummy. Super Soccer rules
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #273 on: September 28, 2019, 04:29:05 AM »
Continued my Streets of Rage 3 (JP) Zan playthrough and got up to Stage 7, then played the first 2 stages on US version normal w/Zan to compare.

This game pretty much sucks. Like even when you take away the padded enemy HPs in the US version and tons of enemies on-screen which makes the stages drag and take forever in the US version, it's not a very good game. The music is fucking AWFUL to the point where it sounds like maybe it's the emulator glitching and not actually music? But no, that's just the music. It doesn't go with the game at all. The sound effects are pretty terrible too and most of the enemies are just palette swaps of SoR2 enemies.

Zan is pretty good, between his full screen dash and his forward HP drain attack with his electric arm out you can pretty much just keep moving and dashing into people left and right and then extending your arm out when the enemies get up or after one or two hits.

But...he's not very fun to play in the long term because that's all you can do. He can't combo worth shit, his jumps have no range and suck and basically with the new system of being able to use HP drain moves everytime the bar fills up there's a lot of keep away -> electric arm -> repeat.

He also keeps saying this GARBLED AUDIO that sounds like POWER UP or BATTER UP or something with every.freaking.move and it sorta makes me hate playing as him.

But besides Zan, the movement is kinda weird. You dash and roll up and down but then there's spurts of slow when you're actually normal moving between that. It feels odd. The enemies are pretty boring so far and way less threatening in their moveset than SoR2. Like the whip girls after getting knocked down just like...sit on a knee for a few seconds before getting back up? Weird. Seven stages in I can't really think of any new enemy types since SoR2 outside some karate dudes who are less interesting than the SoR2 karate guys. The bosses suck too with the only sorta memorable one being the Robo-Mr.X and only because he shoots a rocket which is heat-seaking and the part with the 3 samurai ninjas because they were samurai ninjas.

The backgrounds are zzz and don't have any of the character of the SoR2 locations.

But now there's lots of cutscenes after every level. Eh, they don't interfere that much so this is one thing I'm not really gonna hate on. I guess it's ok.

Oh and going back to Zan, I don't like how he can't use weapons and every weapon just because a glowing light bowling ball he can throw zzz. I feel like there's a lot more knocking enemies down and waiting for them to get back up in SoR3. Maybe because there's more enemies at a time so you need the downtime?

SoR3 really feels like one of those games where a company licensed out their IP to some shitty shovelware company who made a quick sequel. Even though I wasn't feeling SoR1 because of its simplicity and lack of combos/blitz moves, etc..at least it sorta felt like a simple SoR2 by the same team. SoR3 just feels shitty as fuck.

I guess I like that they push more on the robot angle in this one.

Will finish my JP run up next time I play. Fwiw, the main difference with the JP version are the enemies have like 1/4th or 1/3rd the HP and are way less aggressive (Shiva boss on Stage 1 is like super fast and psycho on US version, but more like SoR2 speed on JP version), on the JP version the enemies will hardly ever beat you to a throw whereas in the US version some fucker threw me out of my Zan dash mid-dash wtf.

Bebpo

« Reply #274 on: September 28, 2019, 04:47:04 AM »

like this is a US version hard mode video and it’s a lot like my playthrough. It’s such a boring playstyle. Enemies just let you grab them one after another and throw them. Like the enemies are so less aggressive than SoR2 it hardly matters what enemy type you are fighting in SoR3, just walk up and do the same tactics. Whereas in SoR2 you need to play around the moves of the various enemy types because they’re always doing them.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #275 on: September 28, 2019, 08:47:38 AM »
Zan is ass congrats you played the best streets with the worst character. Thats like playing streets 2 using max. Max sucks

You seem to enjoy playing all these games in the worst possible way then come with this hot take like "man if you really think about it, this game isnt that good"
fat

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #276 on: September 28, 2019, 10:55:51 AM »

And shmups - most of the SNES shmup library is mediocre, aside from Axelay and Space Megaforce.
^_^

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #277 on: September 28, 2019, 01:21:42 PM »
Zan is ass congrats you played the best streets with the worst character. Thats like playing streets 2 using max. Max sucks

You seem to enjoy playing all these games in the worst possible way then come with this hot take like "man if you really think about it, this game isnt that good"
It's not his fault the quality is so uneven. :idont

Bebpo

« Reply #278 on: September 28, 2019, 02:45:30 PM »

Wat.

Also I played a few stages as Axel before Zan. Still seemed like a bad game.
And Max didn’t seem too bad when I tried him in 2. All the characters seemed solid in that.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
Yeah don't mind demi he means the worst SoR anyway, the best one is obviously SoRR even though it's unofficial it uses all the elements from the three games and mixes up the stages but with pretty great music. Probably the best way to play SoR now.

I owned a Megadrive for a good part of my younger years, played the shit out of that thing. Loved renting games for it as well, so many games to play but I could always only ever take one I think for like a week or maybe two and then we'd have to return it. I found a couple of older people who had genesis it was crazy me and my friend we would just go to different houses and ask if they have a Megadrive and if we could maybe trade/borrow games  :lol. We lived in a quiet town where nothing ever happened so we never even thought of anything bad happening, ofcourse nothing ever did and I found a few people to trade games with. I played Ecco the Dolphin because I borrowed it from some stranger and like switched games for a week  :lol. Insane when I think of that now.

So this Genesis Mini comes out tomorrow.. I am seriously triggered to buy it. I just sold my xbox one and a gba sp so I have the money for it but ofcourse I don't need it. The other mini's are sitting in front of my tv just collecting dust. But I do enjoy having them  :-[

So bore boys should I buy one yey or nay
What

Bebpo

Idk, I like it! I'm definitely playing it more than the NES/SNES minis but difference is that I'd played most of the NES/SNES games and these Mega Drive/Genesis games are mostly new to me. On all 3 minis for games I've played, I'll play them a few mins for nostalgia and then I'm good. But for games I haven't played, if they still hold up, I actually stick with them and play through them.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Project Lunar released today. The process is pretty straightforward. I added a bunch of games that work with the stock emulator.

https://modmyclassic.com/2019/12/28/project-lunar-1-0-0-has-landed/

fat

Bebpo

Nice, makes it even better.

I realized that adding most/all of the NES/SNES classic games on Switch Nintendo Online has sorta made both useless outside roms you add yourself since they run the same on Switch Online + have portability option. But MD Mini still holds up since can't play a lot of these games with this good emulation anywhere else outside emulators.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Here's a compatibility list of games for the stock emulator. Most of them work, but unfortunately some do have issues (Hyperstone Heist for example)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lW8ViyN_Sg0hrXCAqGgX0UEYwaWMhrcbJ_GzzNfTNlA/edit#gid=0

For reference here is the SNES Classic emulator compatibility list (I own this file/update it personally)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12HKfz4ZQBy6Ip5awvh8t2aV5cVswYlnsdKxn9xoIW2Y/edit#gid=2014317767
fat

MMaRsu

• Administrator
Project Lunar released today. The process is pretty straightforward. I added a bunch of games that work with the stock emulator.

https://modmyclassic.com/2019/12/28/project-lunar-1-0-0-has-landed/

(Image removed from quote.)

Oh shit fucking sweet!

Time to add Sonic & Knuckles 3!!
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
Wait what

:-\

Sonic & Knuckles 3 doesn't work?

:yuck
What

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
It does, I'll let you figure it out though
fat

MMaRsu

• Administrator
Since you said stock emu, I guess it'd have to go through RetroArch?
What

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Nope! It works on the stock emulator
fat

MMaRsu

• Administrator
It does! Except it doesnt play the Sonic 3 part of the game?

Hacking was easy tho
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
I just learned there is such a thing as Sonic 3 Complete

Supposedly it works on the Genesis mini

I shall report back, might be no need for S&K3 (except for no knuckles but honestly idgaf about knuckles)
What

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
You figured it out!
fat

Bebpo

Got this setup on mine, but while I added some stuff it just showed me how damn good the selection in the mini is because I’d keep thinking to add a game and it was already on there. Outside Musha and Rocket knight and Shining Force II and a couple others, the mini selection is pretty much the best of the era.

/I don’t enjoy Sonic games as an adult

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Yup, the Genesis was buns. You can pretty much put all "the good games" in one go and be done with it

SNES is leaps better no question no contest, enjoy being on the wrong side of history
fat

MMaRsu

• Administrator
Got this setup on mine, but while I added some stuff it just showed me how damn good the selection in the mini is because I’d keep thinking to add a game and it was already on there. Outside Musha and Rocket knight and Shining Force II and a couple others, the mini selection is pretty much the best of the era.

/I don’t enjoy Sonic games as an adult

:comeon

Even Mania?
What

Bebpo

Yeah, Mania was ok but it got hard and didn't bother finishing it. At some point I realized I don't like my platformers to have momentum physics.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
Yeah but Bepbo has just gotten old..let's just ignore the old man
What

Tasty

Those "go-around orbs" in the final level of Mania can fuck off into the sun. (I did beat it, though.)

At some point I realized I don't like my platformers to have momentum physics.

I mean, Mario is also a momentum-based platformer, but the lack of run button for precise control has a knock-on effect to Sonic's design that paired with "gotta go fast (but only sometimes)" makes the series... unpalatable to me as a platformer fan. Starting out from a dead stop in Sonic ALWAYS feels bad (to me), and that's why they had to add the Spin Dash, but that's kind of a hammer-for-a-screw "fix."

Combine trying to jump a series of vertical moving platforms (which involves turning, walking, and jumping all from dead stops) with the whole "you die if you intersect even 1 pixel in between platforms" issue, and actual platforming in Sonic is kind of a nightmare. Then try to do all that underwater with a ticking clock.

Mario doesn't kill you if you intersect moving platforms (to my knowledge), and it doesn't have a ticking clock underwater. These are both improvements on Sonic's design, and no amount of "well git gud" will change my mind on that.

Just used to what I'm used to I suppose.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 05:39:48 PM by Tasty Meat »

Bebpo

Those "go-around orbs" in the final level of Mania can fuck off into the sun. (I did beat it, though.)

At some point I realized I don't like my platformers to have momentum physics.

I mean, Mario is also a momentum-based platformer, but the lack of run button for precise control has a knock-on effect to Sonic's design that paired with "gotta go fast (but only sometimes)" makes the series... unpalatable to me as a platformer fan. Starting out from a dead stop in Sonic ALWAYS feels bad (to me), and that's why they had to add the Spin Dash, but that's kind of a hammer-for-a-screw "fix."

Combine trying to jump a series of vertical moving platforms (which involves turning, walking, and jumping all from dead stops) with the whole "you die if you intersect even 1 pixel in between platforms" issue, and actual platforming in Sonic is kind of a nightmare. Then try to do all that underwater with a ticking clock.

Mario doesn't kill you if you intersect moving platforms (to my knowledge), and it doesn't have a ticking clock underwater. These are both improvements on Sonic's design, and no amount of "well git gud" will change my mind on that.

Just used to what I'm used to I suppose.

Yeah, this is why I don't really like platforming in sonic games.

Tasty

Seriously though the Genesis controller has three whole faces buttons and they all do the same thing? Jump? That's it??

That's Wii Music levels of "limitations and simplicity actually enhance the experience!" :nintendo

I'm not saying a dedicated run button would fix Sonic, but it would make the game more fun to control.