Author Topic: GRRM x From = Elden Ring  (Read 44016 times)

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Re: GRRM x From = Elden Ring
« Reply #540 on: March 21, 2022, 12:08:49 PM »
Blood for the Blood God!

©@©™

Svejk

« Reply #541 on: March 21, 2022, 01:59:56 PM »
Watching ONGBAL no hit level 1 wretch videos make me sick.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #542 on: March 21, 2022, 02:48:26 PM »
Map fragments are marked on the map.
https://attackofthefanboy.com/guides/psa-elden-ring-map-fragment-locations-are-actually-marked-with-an-icon-on-the-map/

You mean this?

I guess, I mean I can't even see them where I am right now, and just looking up how many they are, there are tons. Seems like a lot of tedious open-world crap. Something I thought this game would avoid.

I guess I just don't like open world games.

Lmao 6 map fragments to easily grab

What is bad or hard about that?
What

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #543 on: March 21, 2022, 03:12:41 PM »
Thats like, the only collectible lol. Not even essential to progress. The world is so well landmarked you can generally find your way using the compass and whatever giant castle is in the vicinity. And the map things are easy to find :shrug:

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #544 on: March 22, 2022, 09:54:18 AM »
Elden Ring Diary Entry #13: Final Push

Another night of playing Elden Ring past midnight, then laying awake for several more hours because I can't stop thinking about Elden Ring.  :stahp

I don't want it to end, but also I kinda do. There's still a hundred little things I could do, but I've decided to focus all my efforts into cheevo related tasks. That means taking down all the major bosses and collecting all the Legendary Weapons, Ashes, Sorceries, and Talismans. To that end, I defeated all the remaining Shardbearers, and then cleared the Subterranean Shunning Grounds, which I missed on my first pass of the capital. I also got all the Legendary Ashes, and all but one weapon and one sorcery, and I know where they are. Then I'll just need to find all the talismans, and I'll be ready to tackle the last area.

(Image removed from quote.)

Total Time Played: ~82 hours
Current Character: Lv. 140 Samurai
« Last Edit: March 22, 2022, 10:49:44 AM by Joe Molotov »
©@©™

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #545 on: March 22, 2022, 10:27:51 AM »
So decided to go back to the academy to do Thops' quest.  Patches, that son of a bitch, wasn't lying about the iron maiden that teleports you :dead

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #546 on: March 22, 2022, 05:35:54 PM »
Every time I think I'm ready for the first boss he still kicks my ass.  :doge :lol
🤴

Svejk

« Reply #547 on: March 22, 2022, 06:37:55 PM »
Every time I think I'm ready for the first boss he still kicks my ass.  :doge :lol
You going full-on 1 vs 1?  I'd definitely use an ash of war summon as a distraction, if not already.  I had the wolves, but I'd use them later in the fight when I can get an edge on him at first. (Assuming you're talking about Margit?)

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #548 on: March 22, 2022, 07:21:03 PM »
Elden Ring Diary Entry #14: GOTY 2022

Total Time Played: ~86 hours
Current Character: Lv. 153 Samurai
©@©™

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #549 on: March 22, 2022, 07:29:44 PM »
You going full-on 1 vs 1?  I'd definitely use an ash of war summon as a distraction, if not already.  I had the wolves, but I'd use them later in the fight when I can get an edge on him at first. (Assuming you're talking about Margit?)
Yeah I got the wolves, but I'm level 25 or so and I think I need to get to level 30 first so I can do enough damage and not die too soon.
I can get him down to about half his health, than he gets serious and destroys me.

A better armor would probably also help.

Also it takes way too long to ring that bell.  :lol
🤴

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #550 on: March 22, 2022, 07:34:27 PM »
Jellyfish is better on most bosses because it stays alive longer. You can get it in the shack before the castle. Just let it draw aggro and then stab 'em in the butt.
©@©™

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #551 on: March 22, 2022, 11:44:24 PM »
Man I am level 80, at 75 hours and only have two bosses done.

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #552 on: March 23, 2022, 12:11:49 AM »
joe stickin' to the plan  :salute

now, to kill chaos
◕‿◕

Coax

« Reply #553 on: March 23, 2022, 12:26:48 AM »
Yeah I got the wolves, but I'm level 25 or so and I think I need to get to level 30 first so I can do enough damage and not die too soon.
I can get him down to about half his health, than he gets serious and destroys me.

Also keep in mind at that point there's a way to unlock the ability to upgrade your Ashes summons via a questline for a character you meet nearby. Upgrading summons to have beefier health allows them to take the focus off you longer (which I feel is the main benefit of summons).

Edit: you may already know this but a way of more immediately summoning is to hotkey your summons via your pouch to one of the D-pad buttons, then trigger with the Use button + D-pad direction it's set to. One of the most useful Flask of Physick tears you can find is the one that removes all FP limit for 10-15 seconds which is great for summoning higher tier Ashes if you normally lack the FP in your build.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2022, 12:38:51 AM by Coax »

« Reply #554 on: March 23, 2022, 05:11:43 AM »
malenia is the sickest boss fight ever in a game omg. i beat her tho  :-*

Nuitangg

« Reply #555 on: March 23, 2022, 09:27:51 AM »
I'm struggling just to get to Malenia. This place is destroying me.  :lol

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #556 on: March 23, 2022, 09:31:02 AM »
Yeah, Haligtree is a tough area, no shame in just running lol.
©@©™

Svejk

« Reply #557 on: March 23, 2022, 10:37:57 AM »
You can completely change your appearance whenever you want in the mirror of momma's bedroom?!  :gladbron :rejoice  No more regretful face tatoo!

And possibly too many more hours will be lost just messing with that.   :doge  Every game with a character creation should have this option. No excuse.

Polident Hive

« Reply #558 on: March 23, 2022, 10:52:53 AM »
Tempted to go for all the trophies. Reading how the ending related ones require backing up your save three or four times.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #559 on: March 23, 2022, 11:43:06 AM »
Tempted to go for all the trophies. Reading how the ending related ones require backing up your save three or four times.

Fortunately you don't have to fight the final boss again. There's a grace after the boss and you can backup save there, and use it to get the other endings. Once you've reached the end of all the relevant questlines you can grab all three ending achievements in about 3 minutes. Just be careful not to do the very last part of the Frenzied Flame questline (entering the flame door) until you've already gotten the other two.
©@©™

naff

« Reply #560 on: March 23, 2022, 04:39:43 PM »
i did frenzied flame so early lmao. i did figure out later that you get a different ending if you do frenzied flame before the forge. no other endings for me, but im already most of the way through with new char and i'll go to ng+ eventually.

re differences if you do frenzied flame pre-forge

spoiler (click to show/hide)
you take melinas place at the forge, she doesn't sacrifice herself. she also shows up at the end and vows to hunt down and kill you.
[close]
◕‿◕

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #561 on: March 23, 2022, 06:47:09 PM »

Margit is DEAD his castle will soon be mine.

I figured that I was too weak in strength but this was not the case. Although the new sword and shield I found also made a difference. And the Jellyfish to distract his stupid ass  :)
In the end though I finally figured out I was just slow and sluggish. I removed most equipment to just a sword and shield so I could roll and run faster (and keep more stamina, a stat I admit, I pretty much ignored)
Turns out that was the key to dodging those cheap ass combo's.

Also I just realized what this game is.
Remember 2014?

Reggie said: "Here's one more world for Nintendo GameCube" and it looked like a big ass open world Zelda game heavily inspired by LOTR, D&D and all sorts of other RPG stuff. Aonuma acknowledged this in interviews.
Saying that for the first time in the Zelda series, bosses would not be limited to dungeons and animals would play a huge part in the story. Not to mention dungeons could be played in any order.
Then Shadow of the Collusus came out and me and my brehs went like: "Damn, imagine a game like this but not just the giants but towns and enemies and everything in between, Zelda is going to be amazing"

Of course Zelda 2014 became Zelda TP, which was a good game but not open world and very different from the beta. And all the other open world games went into the icon and busywork Ubisoft direction.
Which was fun also but just not the same. Finally Witcher 3 hits and it's a great and awesome game, again takes a few of those cues to move it away from the Ubi structure but yet again not 'everything'.
Nintendo has a second try with Breath of the Wild. And by god that is an amazing game. At the same time it is held back by some Nintendo decisions. It is difficult yes but the main storyline and bosses are fairly simple.
Also your sword breaks every 2 seconds for no real reason and there's a lot of elements not really fleshed out. The rewards are mostly limited to gear or powering up either your equipment slots, stamina or health.

Finally we have Elden Ring. The promised game. The best game.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2022, 07:04:32 PM by Nintex »
🤴

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #562 on: March 23, 2022, 09:00:21 PM »
How far can I go on ranni's quest before it locks me into an ending or does it even?

Coax

« Reply #563 on: March 24, 2022, 01:00:43 AM »
How far can I go on ranni's quest before it locks me into an ending or does it even?

From what I can tell it just gives you the option for an ending later but I'll let someone who's completed it that way confirm.

At the point where you find the thing she's wanting it's about the half-way point in her questline fwiw. It's only by following more of the questline that unlocks what's needed for that ending.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #564 on: March 24, 2022, 01:34:39 AM »
Yeah, Ranni’s questline doesn’t lock you into her ending.
©@©™

Coax

« Reply #565 on: March 24, 2022, 05:11:32 AM »
Interestingly Malenia's HP was down to ~66% and depleting at the beginning of phase two, on my forth attempt (and first time getting to phase two). Not sure what caused it.

She one-shot me right as the cutscene ended so I barely got a chance to see though :doge

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #566 on: March 24, 2022, 04:39:45 PM »
Burned all my rune consumables so I could add 6 DEX so I could equip the Nightrider Flail. Only to find the thing had worse stats than my Flail +6  :noah

Now I'm farming smithing stones so I can upgrade it. Damn sunk-cost fallacy

I'm really taking my time with this thing, Been exploring the academy a bit but theres just so much to do its insane. GOTY for sure, I'll be playing this for ages

naff

« Reply #567 on: March 24, 2022, 06:08:57 PM »
any weapon at +6 is going to out damage a similar weapon type at +0 unless you upgraded some junk meme weapon like a rusty broken sword or something

also +6 is nothing lel. i think i had 3-4 normal weapons at +24/25, a few staffs and moonveil at +10 before i learnt you could just dupe stuff. just get some bell bearings and give em to the lady at roundtable to buy stones
◕‿◕

Polident Hive

« Reply #568 on: March 24, 2022, 07:02:51 PM »
Went do or die with Malenia. Cheeks out. No shield. Blue dancer and other talismans to boost attack and stamina.

Crazy fight. Whenever I tried playing it conservatively, she'd siphon health and give no space to breath. That jumping attack..

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #569 on: March 24, 2022, 07:16:12 PM »
Managed to make my way through the castle to the next boss but wanted to level some more before an honest attempt.

I figured I'd visit the lake.
There's a motherfucking Dragon at the lake. Absolutely spectacular
[close]

And it's dead now  :pimp

The fight is pretty easy, just avoid the fire. Which is a challenge but doable on the horse.
[close]
🤴

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #570 on: March 24, 2022, 07:32:13 PM »
I'm getting messages from people who would normally have no interest in Souls game playing this game. "Look at my character hehe"

This will be the most normie and successful Souls game yet - as if that hasnt been established already
fat

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #571 on: March 24, 2022, 08:00:00 PM »
Medieval Fantasy things being popular again (in part thanks to GoT) helps as does the uptick in gaming popularity thanks to the lockdowns.
Lots of normies play Assassins Creed, Zelda and GTA and the likes and this sort of falls into the same category.

After what happened with Cyberpunk gamers were also worried that Elden Ring would be overhyped or unfinished.
Turns out Elden Ring is much better than most expected.

But yeah apart from the war in Ukraine, Elden Ring is probably the biggest thing in entertainment right now.
🤴

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #572 on: March 24, 2022, 10:02:38 PM »
40 hours in, about to start Raya Lucaria Academy.

I had a play session that started with fighting an Assassin in a skeleton infested catacomb, was enjoying a nice ride through the woods when I murdered by trebuchets, summoned my bow waifu to help kill a magical dragon, took an elevator down to a tunnel filled with giant ants, was driven mad by a tower filled with frenzied monks and finally entered a mansion where I was ambushed by giant hand creatures.

This game

:lawd

Polident Hive

« Reply #573 on: March 25, 2022, 10:40:04 AM »
Done. Elite game. Top five.

:rejoice :jeb :klob

Svejk

« Reply #574 on: March 25, 2022, 11:04:09 AM »
Having 3 days withdrawals... Nothing but ER on my mind...

I was falling asleep last night thinking about it, then literally jarred myself awake all of a sudden realizing I forgot a part of stormviel I meant to go back to.

paprikastaude

« Reply #575 on: March 25, 2022, 12:51:20 PM »
Can't find the way to magma land and had a dream about it today :thinking

Coax

« Reply #576 on: March 27, 2022, 07:59:05 AM »
The drop rate on the Magma Blade is un-freaking-real. Still haven't got one, even with 190-240 Discovery depending on what I have equipped/buffed. People complain about the Halo Scythe drop rate but that seems generous to me in comparison (have two without much farming... maaybe I got lucky with RNG but still).

Black Knife and Halo Scythe are fantastic weapons btw. The former has the projectile weapon skill that the Black Knife Assassins use which lowers an enemy's max HP on the first hit and takes a chunk out for each hit. The Scythe OTOH has honing projectile tracking and allows for as many repeated projectiles as you have FP for, with no subsequent wind-up, plus the base weapon has better physical damage.

:rock
« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 12:24:48 AM by Coax »

Svejk

« Reply #577 on: March 27, 2022, 02:08:46 PM »
About to enter the Academy.  It was 4am, so had to stop there for the night. Lawd dis game.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #578 on: March 27, 2022, 07:29:33 PM »

:dead

naff

« Reply #579 on: March 27, 2022, 10:30:52 PM »
The drop rate on the Magma Blade is un-freaking-real. Still haven't got one, even with 190-240 Discovery depending on what I have equipped/buffed. People complain about the Halo Scythe drop rate but that seems generous to me in comparison (have two without much farming... maaybe I got lucky with RNG but still).

Black Knife and Halo Scythe are fantastic weapons btw. The former has the projectile weapon skill that the Black Knife Assassin's use which lowers an enemy's max HP on the first hit and takes a chunk out for each hit. The Scythe OTOH has honing projectile tracking and allows for as many repeated projectiles as you have FP for, with no subsequent wind-up, plus the base weapon has better physical damage.

(Image removed from quote.)

:rock

had to look up the magma blade. looks sick.

i haven't got any of the rng stuff. i tried for the cat mask, then realised it was too heavy and looked bad anyway for something that gives +2 INT when I can wear the preceptor's or rennala's hat for better stat increases and better looking armor.
◕‿◕

« Reply #580 on: March 28, 2022, 07:32:15 AM »
malenia's sword fucking sucks. the wind up animation on the special takes ages and you can just get knocked out of it.

Coax

« Reply #581 on: March 28, 2022, 09:48:21 AM »
This descending platforming section... Thought, eh, how bad can it be. Lost 124k runes since I missed a ledge despite being in line of jump :dead

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #582 on: March 28, 2022, 10:47:47 AM »
This descending platforming section... Thought, eh, how bad can it be. Lost 124k runes since I missed a ledge despite being in line of jump :dead

lmao, I know where you're at, I died there at least 20 times
©@©™

Polident Hive

« Reply #583 on: March 28, 2022, 01:46:19 PM »
Sometimes I think platforming is an area they can smooth out. But it's very funny. Taking twenty seconds to inch off a platform. Collision detection is so off you can be a foot away from the platform, standing on air. You drop and slide off the flat platform you landed on to face plant into the abyss.

Played with the PS5 app for PVP and riding around. Late by a month here, and I'm a philistine about this stuff, but it seems 98% the same as the PS4 app. Bit sharper. Bit choppier with the frame rate. Loading times are a second faster.

Tuckers Law

« Reply #584 on: March 28, 2022, 04:00:32 PM »
Is there any holy weapon I can get very early to help keep undead types from resurrecting?  I’ve only barely played the game so far, I’m ten hours in and have been exploring (haven’t even touched the big castle the game was leading me towards after exiting the starting grave), and so far only thing I have found to take them down permanently is the holy pot recipe.

My apologies if it’s been mentioned upthread, I’ve generally been avoiding this one as I’d like to experience a lot of this game with fresh eyes, and so far the resurrecting skellies have been my only annoyance where finding the solution myself isn’t likely to be worth it.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #585 on: March 28, 2022, 04:16:01 PM »
You can just stab their souls when they come back to keep them down -- don't need a holy weapon. 

Tuckers Law

« Reply #586 on: March 28, 2022, 04:59:44 PM »
Wtf, seriously?

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #587 on: March 28, 2022, 05:07:45 PM »
My friend, who is 40 hours in, just discovered the run button. 

Polident Hive

« Reply #588 on: March 28, 2022, 05:20:19 PM »
Wtf, seriously?

Yeah. You can't lock on. Just swing at the glowing mist above the corpse. They'll stay down.

Tuckers Law

« Reply #589 on: March 28, 2022, 05:53:45 PM »
 :neogaf :lol :lol
I can’t believe I didn’t try that, I just assumed they were like all the other undead assholes in Souls games.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #590 on: March 28, 2022, 07:46:33 PM »
Also fire works well against them.
🤴

Nuitangg

« Reply #591 on: March 28, 2022, 10:28:33 PM »
Final boss is so dumb. Not having fun anymore.

naff

« Reply #592 on: March 28, 2022, 11:17:38 PM »
which one? radagon is pretty cool, other one yeah, i empathise
◕‿◕

thetylerrob

« Reply #593 on: March 28, 2022, 11:20:39 PM »
Yeah, the final boss sucks. Took me like 3 hours. You'll get it.

naff

« Reply #594 on: March 28, 2022, 11:27:11 PM »
they should've let you use torrent for the beast, would've been sick
◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #595 on: March 28, 2022, 11:39:29 PM »
i think the boss is fine conceptually but toon much rng on what attacks it chooses. have fought it quite a few times now in my playthroughs and co-op. sometimes it just hangs out and lets you smash, others it flits from one end of the arena to the other, sometimes it triggers that awful homing attack while peppering you with alternate ranged attacks. can feel really easy or really hard depending what moves you roll
◕‿◕

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #596 on: March 29, 2022, 05:20:07 AM »
Finally got access to a great rune and dang this shit powers you up good. I might even make some progress now with these buffed stats. Got a good supply of rune arcs saved up

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #597 on: March 29, 2022, 05:25:12 AM »
And I just wish I had more time and energy to play this :( job is kinda all consuming right now

Coax

« Reply #598 on: March 29, 2022, 07:36:30 AM »
had to look up the magma blade. looks sick.

Wasn't too long after that I obtained one. Best aspect about it is it continuously stunlocks enemies while its spammed due to the molten floor it creates.

Tried it with one of the Erdtree Avatars patrolling Haligree and it killed it after two cycles of spamming the weapon skill. Also against Fire Monks and it melted them which was curious. Stunlocks the Banished Knights at Farum Azula, too (though Hoarfrost Stomp is better for creating distance and is similarly effective).

Only real downside is the close proximity needed for enemies for the stunlock to be really effective, so you need to be in their face (or theirs in yours, like a gang) else they can move out of the pools.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2022, 07:42:42 AM by Coax »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #599 on: March 29, 2022, 06:38:38 PM »
Finally got some time to play this again.

Godfrey kicked my ass at the end of Stormveil castle. Then I found a route around it and ended up in the Lakes of something something :rejoice
[close]
🤴