Author Topic: Lindelof fucks up Watchmen (HBO)  (Read 14974 times)

agrajag

Re: Lindelof fucks up Watchmen (HBO)
« Reply #180 on: December 17, 2019, 06:19:15 PM »
I tried watching this, it's fucking boring.

please forgive me Daddylof

:stahp

Tasty

« Reply #181 on: December 17, 2019, 06:40:18 PM »
Really great show, but kinda shits on the original comic so if you're a purist maybe stay away, and doesn't really stick the landing. Also has pacing issues (three straight flashback/exposition episodes right before the finale is ehhhh.)

Tasty

« Reply #182 on: December 17, 2019, 06:51:51 PM »
Really great show, but kinda shits on the original comic so if you're a purist maybe stay away

Alright I guess I will. Seeing as I hated everything Lindelof wrote (Including The Leftovers) it's best I stay away anyway.

Hmm yeah it's definitely a Lindelof show as well, very typical of his style.

Tasty

« Reply #183 on: December 17, 2019, 06:53:11 PM »
I will say the nostalgia episode on its own is pretty much a masterpiece. Same strata as Part 8 of Twin Peaks: The Return or San Junipero from Black Mirror.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #184 on: December 17, 2019, 11:30:15 PM »
so as i could surmise from the first few eps, Lindelof show XXX : Blue Penis Boogaloo. Hard Pass  :nope

agrajag

« Reply #185 on: December 18, 2019, 01:10:01 AM »
yo gotta hand it to the crazy fuck though, not only did he acknowledge the giant squid canon but
spoiler (click to show/hide)
he called it back with the mini squid deus ex machina that resolved the finale
[close]

it's like poetry

:lucas

Tasty

« Reply #186 on: December 18, 2019, 08:53:57 AM »

Modern tech is pretty damn amazing.

Himu

« Reply #187 on: December 18, 2019, 10:20:07 AM »
How did this show use black wall Street? I've heard of it doing that and want to know context
IYKYK

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #188 on: December 18, 2019, 10:59:20 AM »
How did this show use black wall Street? I've heard of it doing that and want to know context

The Black Wall Street massacre is shown early on in the series and it's the flashpoint that all the themes of the show are based around. White supremacy and it's close ties to law enforcement, distrust of authority, people wearing masks and for what reasons (the Klan, "Masked Adventurers)", the use of terror by those in power in order to maintain their power, vigilantism vs justice,  "fixing the system from the inside" vs "fighting the system from the outside", etc.
©@©™

Himu

« Reply #189 on: December 18, 2019, 11:52:39 PM »

The Black Wall Street massacre is shown early on in the series and it's the flashpoint that all the themes of the show are based around. White supremacy and it's close ties to law enforcement, distrust of authority, people wearing masks and for what reasons (the Klan, "Masked Adventurers)", the use of terror by those in power in order to maintain their power, vigilantism vs justice,  "fixing the system from the inside" vs "fighting the system from the outside", etc.

Damn. I need to watch this.
IYKYK

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #190 on: December 23, 2019, 02:31:27 PM »

Damn. I need to watch this.

You do. It's the best thing I've seen on tv this year, including Chernobyl. People that don't like it are bad people with bad opinions who should feel bad. BAD, I SAID.
yar

agrajag

« Reply #191 on: December 23, 2019, 03:38:56 PM »
it kind of sucks to not have a new episode to look forward to on a sunday

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #192 on: December 26, 2019, 05:05:16 PM »
The ending kinda left me cold to be honest. Show had me until the last 20 minutes or so of the finale. My favorite moment of the ending is probably Angela going to the theater and Lou Gossett Jr. telling her you can't heal under a mask.

agrajag

« Reply #193 on: December 26, 2019, 08:14:19 PM »
yeah, I'm not sure they stuck the landing, but what a journey it was! The whole business with the baby squids, and Angela becoming the new Dr Manhattan, I dunno about that one dawg

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #194 on: December 26, 2019, 08:17:36 PM »
I dunno, I thought it ended perfectly. It was ostensibly about a plot to steal Dr Manhattan's powers but to me, the real genius was the Will/Angela story arc, and it nailed the fuck out of that. Anytime super heroes are involved, you're pretty much always going to end up with some dumb deus ex machina popping up at the last minute, kinda like... the original Watchmen books.
yar

agrajag

« Reply #195 on: December 26, 2019, 08:25:47 PM »
I just don't know how they're gonna continue, if they are. Either Angela fucks off to Europa like the OG Manhattan, or she stays fighting crime like a generic super hero, which would be super goofy. There's probably other possibilities, but I lack imagination.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #196 on: December 26, 2019, 08:35:56 PM »
I dunno, I thought it ended perfectly. It was ostensibly about a plot to steal Dr Manhattan's powers but to me, the real genius was the Will/Angela story arc, and it nailed the fuck out of that. Anytime super heroes are involved, you're pretty much always going to end up with some dumb deus ex machina popping up at the last minute, kinda like... the original Watchmen books.

Yeah I think the biggest thing leaving me cold is like you said, the deus ex machina. I don't like how Lady Trieu went out at all.

agrajag

« Reply #197 on: December 26, 2019, 08:38:17 PM »
I didn't like how the squids practically didn't harm anyone except for lady triu, feels like they pulled their punches. Targeted precision squids.  :doge

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #198 on: December 26, 2019, 11:59:42 PM »
If you wanna be pedantic about it, the squids didn't even kill her... the large hovering object that she was standing under did after it sustained enough direct squid hits to wreck it, which makes sense since it had a much larger surface area than the relatively small target presented by the average human head/shoulders.

I think it's perfect at one season. If you wanna do something in the Watchmen "universe" wait a couple years and do something mostly unrelated. Leave Dr Manhattan out of it, preferably.
yar

agrajag

« Reply #199 on: December 27, 2019, 12:14:06 AM »
they punctured her hand almost immediately but failed to hurt anyone else iirc. The telephone booth is rock fucking solid.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #200 on: December 27, 2019, 11:03:55 PM »
This was one of the most entertaining shows of the year and I'd recommend it to anyone. I will say however that Wrath forced me at gunpoint to read the comics after and it's amazing how much this isn't Watchmen. :lol It completely fails to translate the themes to a modern setting. It would be more accurate to say this is a wacky adventure in the Watchmen universe.
每天生气

Tasty

« Reply #201 on: December 27, 2019, 11:27:37 PM »
This was one of the most entertaining shows of the year and I'd recommend it to anyone. I will say however that Wrath forced me at gunpoint to read the comics after and it's amazing how much this isn't Watchmen. :lol It completely fails to translate the themes to a modern setting. It would be more accurate to say this is a wacky adventure in the Watchmen universe.

Yuppp...

Really great show, but kinda shits on the original comic so if you're a purist maybe stay away, and doesn't really stick the landing. Also has pacing issues (three straight flashback/exposition episodes right before the finale is ehhhh.)

I'm also less enthused that the plot really was as simple as "good guy vs bad guy." Watchmen's entire thing was shading the heroes and villains gray to the point you can't tell them apart. The fact the ending and its debate has endured so long is a testament to that achievement.

It seems to me the purpose of Watchmen HBO season 1 was to "clear the boards" so a longer-lasting incarnation can take place. Between the death of Dr. Manhattan and the exposure of
Veidt's scheme, the status quo is back to even before issue #1.

All they need to do is re-legalize masked vigilantes and you can literally have a Saturday Morning Watchmen perpetual franchise now. :social2

I agree it's a great show though. Like I said, the Nostalgia episode is absolutely top-tier TV.

Tasty

« Reply #202 on: December 27, 2019, 11:31:28 PM »
Doomsday Clock was probably the more faithful "sequel"... until the last couple issues when it got really DC heavy (and the integration of real world politics into the DCU wasn't handled too well IMO.)

shosta

« Reply #203 on: December 28, 2019, 02:07:22 AM »
It's just crazy to me that he wrote that huge ass letter about how he wasn't going to fuck up watchmen and he fucked up watchmen :lol
每天生气

nudemacusers

« Reply #204 on: December 28, 2019, 02:10:20 AM »
1:1 adaptations are boring af tbh
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

shosta

« Reply #205 on: December 28, 2019, 02:15:37 AM »
If you can stand his tedious style,
I really can't.
it's been seven months and I didn't want to say this but I can't hold it in anymore. Rufus was talking about Hulk, not Lindelof
每天生气

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #206 on: December 28, 2019, 02:39:53 AM »
bu bu bu bu gtfo with this nonsense

comic books are all absurdist trash, even the good shit like yer Alan Moores, yer Garth Ennises, and yer Warren Ellisessesesees

"omg this story and execution was basically god tier but because it isn't 'faithful' to a paranoid chaos wizard's heavily influenced by the era it was written in's mid 80's limited run it sucks"

comic book fans are the fucking worst, you're all trash, go watch the fucking shit tier Arrowverse, that's all you deserve

(yes I am drunk, yes everything said was true, yes you ALL FUCKING DESERVE THIS)
yar

nudemacusers

« Reply #207 on: December 28, 2019, 02:50:51 AM »
Do me next daddy :noah
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Tasty

« Reply #208 on: December 28, 2019, 09:27:04 AM »
I have no problem enjoying the schlock of the Arrowverse either. :idont

And some people say Wrestling Fans have it bad.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #209 on: December 30, 2019, 12:33:36 AM »
bu bu bu bu gtfo with this nonsense

comic books are all absurdist trash, even the good shit like yer Alan Moores, yer Garth Ennises, and yer Warren Ellisessesesees

"omg this story and execution was basically god tier but because it isn't 'faithful' to a paranoid chaos wizard's heavily influenced by the era it was written in's mid 80's limited run it sucks"

comic book fans are the fucking worst, you're all trash, go watch the fucking shit tier Arrowverse, that's all you deserve

(yes I am drunk, yes everything said was true, yes you ALL FUCKING DESERVE THIS)
imagine being this salty and bitter

Tasty

« Reply #210 on: January 03, 2020, 11:58:48 PM »
https://twitter.com/rocco_botte/status/1213302123498106881

:lol I always love Rocco's takes on things.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #211 on: January 04, 2020, 12:17:39 AM »
Beast Wars was gay af tho
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #212 on: January 04, 2020, 10:36:28 AM »
Beast Wars was gay af tho

They censored all the gay sex tho :(

agrajag

« Reply #213 on: January 14, 2020, 11:00:36 AM »
wouldn't beast wars contain interspecies beastiality?

:nugenix

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #214 on: January 14, 2020, 01:31:36 PM »
Is it still bestiality if no human is involved?  :thinking
dog

agrajag

« Reply #215 on: January 14, 2020, 02:02:02 PM »
the bestiality expert has joined the chat

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #216 on: January 14, 2020, 02:19:05 PM »
If you can stand his tedious style,
I really can't.
it's been seven months and I didn't want to say this but I can't hold it in anymore. Rufus was talking about Hulk, not Lindelof
??? I know, me too.
I cant stand bis gimmick even if he occasionally makes some good points.