Author Topic: PC Engine/Turbografx Mini  (Read 13777 times)

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
PC Engine/Turbografx Mini
« on: June 11, 2019, 09:14:54 PM »

Six titles have been announced so far for North America/Europe:

R-Type
Ys Book I & II
New Adventure Island
Ninja Spirit
Alien Crush
Dungeon Explorer

The Japanese version, meanwhile, has an almost entirely different set of games:

Bonk’s Adventure
Dracula X
The Kung Fu/China Warrior
Ys I & II
Super Star Soldier
Dungeon Explorer

No price or release date yet.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 09:11:04 AM by bork »
dog

Himu

Re: Konami is making a PC Engine/Turbografx Mini
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 09:16:16 PM »
so cool
IYKYK

Chooky

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 09:38:29 PM »
this system had a ton of good shit and i've barely touched any of it. extremely interested in this.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 10:32:11 PM »
Y'all motherfuckers better put Drac X on the US version. :maf
Hi

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 10:56:02 PM »
5 players :o

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2019, 11:06:44 PM »
so this means that the TurboGrafx mini is the same size as the PC Engine original?

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2019, 11:27:47 PM »
Y'all motherfuckers better put Drac X on the US version. :maf

...Just PPSSPP/emulate the PSP version.

Bebpo

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2019, 11:35:29 PM »
I played a ton of TG-16 growing up. Mostly Bonk's Adventure & Splatterhouse. idk why Bonk's Adventure is in the Japanese starting lineup but not US? I remember that being like the main mascot platformer of the system. Also Dracula X on the JP list but not US list is a crime.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2019, 11:41:15 PM »
I think I'd want the PCE version.  TG-16 is so ugly in comparison, lol.

Also Dracula X on the JP list but not US list is a crime.

Can't see them not including this in the end.  Props to them for including CD games...although I can't help but wonder if this is why we didn't get Dracula X on the Castlevania Anniversary Collection.
ど助平

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2019, 11:45:33 PM »
THIS COULD BE INTERESTING.  :o

Another mini on the pile.  :aah

benjipwns

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2019, 12:19:55 AM »
I think I'd want the PCE version.  TG-16 is so ugly in comparison, lol.
My favorite thing about the TG-16 is that if you just look at the two, you'd think the TG-16 is just half empty plastic because of how small the PCE is.

But nope, they made a whole new motherboard (which itself is half empty) to fill the thing with:

PCE:

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2019, 12:24:09 AM »
This is the weirdest fucking timeline I swear

benjipwns

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2019, 03:55:57 AM »

dat music

Occam

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2019, 04:01:25 AM »
I don't get why people are excited for these limited emulator boxes that only contain a select few roms from a single system.
Either get the real thing or just use an emulator. For instance, you can emulate any 8 and 16-bit system on PS Vita and carry around the entire library of each system.

Himu

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2019, 04:03:06 AM »
I don't get why people are excited for these limited emulator boxes that only contain a select few roms from a single system.
Either get the real thing or just use an emulator. For instance, you can emulate any 8 and 16-bit system on PS Vita and carry around the entire library of each system.

because often the emulation is better than the emulation provided by other sources. For Sega for instance, they're done by the same company that has done other Sega Ages ports. Basically, official emulators, especially when it comes to folks like Nintendo and Sega, are generally better.

You used Vita as an example. Well, on 3ds, who provides the almost perfect emulation? Homebrew or Nintendo? Nintendo. That's why when you play 8 or 16 bit game or gba game, converting it to a CIA is always better than emulating it on an emulator. Because official > homebrew.
IYKYK

Occam

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2019, 04:05:14 AM »
So you can play ~10 games slightly better (not a given- many homebrew emulators are close to perfect by now) than the entire library on a free emulator that has far superior options.

Himu

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2019, 04:07:27 AM »
So you can play ~10 games slightly better than the entire library on a free emulator.

Are you daft?

We hack this shit.

You can put the entire library on the snes classic with near pitch perfect emulation.

You Raspberry Pi dudes are feggits.
IYKYK

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2019, 04:09:05 AM »
I can't believe a site full of gaming nerds is excited for a gaming doodad.

That Occam's racist principle.

Occam

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2019, 04:11:55 AM »
So you can play ~10 games slightly better than the entire library on a free emulator.

Are you daft?

We hack this shit.

You can put the entire library on the snes classic with near pitch perfect emulation.

You Raspberry Pi dudes are tacos.
I don't have a Raspberry Pi. I own the real thing.

Occam

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2019, 04:49:26 AM »
This is what you can do with a PC, Retroarch and a CRT TV:

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2019, 05:07:40 AM »
NO. GO AWAY KONAMI  :brazilcry

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2019, 07:42:21 AM »

Are you daft?

We hack this shit.

You can put the entire library on a Retropie, Android box, or PC, plus all the other libraries, with "near pitch perfect emulation" too.   You could even make the interface look like a SNES Classic or whatever other "classic" system if you wanted to.  The reason it gets brought up so often is because of how well everything works and it eliminates the need to have multiple little emu boxes hooked up. 

That said-

The nostalgia factor is huge and there is something about getting an official (good/high quality) product in a box that looks just like the system did back then.  Some people also just don't want to get anything that isn't licensed- a friend of mine has bought two Arcade 1up machines despite my showing him what a fully-customized Pie cab looks like and him having interest in it.  Instead he wants to buy a third Arcade 1up cab (TMNT) when it comes out because "it's the real deal" which made me kinda LOL.

Some people also just like to buy all these things and see how the performance compares to each other once they've been hacked.  AFAIK the best emu box out there isn't a Pie build or any of these little official products, but the nVidia Shield TV, which supposedly runs pretty much everything full speed (up through Game Cube) and is super easy to use since you just use Android emulators to run everything.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 07:48:03 AM by bork »
ど助平

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2019, 08:02:58 AM »

Are you daft?

We hack this shit.

...So then you're turning it into... a Raspberry Pi...

...Just like... the Raspberry Pi...

...Or we're the ones that make sense, save money, and don't need an "official shell" with a terrible PCB when you can just fucking 3D print the shell yourself.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2019, 08:18:45 AM »
I have a raspberri Pi 3b+ and wont touch any of this shit until they make a saturn/dreamcast mini that plays actual discs  :hmph :vr

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2019, 08:25:04 AM »
I have zero nostalgia for this but I'm curious on the emulation and future hacks.

I love my hacked NES/SNES Classics though.
fat

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2019, 08:31:14 AM »
I have a raspberri Pi 3b+ and wont touch any of this shit until they make a saturn/dreamcast mini that plays actual discs  :hmph :vr

Yeah...not happening, like ever.  :lol  Saw some rumblings on Twitter that Sega has zero interest in doing a Saturn console since they feel it's too niche due to its lack of popularity.  I bet we see a Dreamcast later on though.
ど助平

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2019, 08:46:51 AM »
I was one of the few weird nerds that had a TG16 back in the day, so I have some interest in this, even though I have the games on other platforms.  I'll probably end up picking it up when the price gets slashed because no one in the US remembers the TG16.

Can't see them not including this in the end.  Props to them for including CD games...although I can't help but wonder if this is why we didn't get Dracula X on the Castlevania Anniversary Collection.

It might be because it was fairly recently released on the Requiem Collection.

paprikastaude

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2019, 09:04:03 AM »
I know nothing about this library.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2019, 09:12:43 AM »
whY DoN't yOu gUys JUst gET a rAsPBerrY pIE
dog

nachobro

• Live Más

Himu

« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2019, 09:50:20 AM »
Uncensor fa.ggot so I can call Retropi niccas fa.ggots.
IYKYK

paprikastaude

« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2019, 09:51:04 AM »
I wish I had the superior intellect of those kiddies who know how to use piratebay :stahp Screw me for being a gaming fan excited about cool collectibles and official products.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
dog

Tasty

« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2019, 09:57:25 AM »

Doesn't that include bork though? :teehee

Himu

« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2019, 10:05:03 AM »
Real talk the only thing as good as official, real, physical hardware is console maker emulation. Proved time and again with Sony(ps1), Nintendo (everything they make), and Sega (Sega ages). Wii U can play every damn Nintendo game not on 3ds or Switch with precision. Snes emulators on pc still aren’t perfect. Never mind n64. I’m told to just emulate when project64 struggles to play Paper fucking Mario.

Meanwhile, on Wii U.

You retropi niccas say to just emulate, you can get Nintendo rom that work on their official emulators made by Nintendo and get stuff that works.
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2019, 10:06:18 AM »
i just get mini consoles (well one, only have snes classic so far) cause i'm lazy and they are kinda cool :yeshrug

Svejk

« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2019, 10:06:43 AM »
My Wii U does all the above with a screen attached.  8)

Himu

« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2019, 10:08:11 AM »

I’m hacking a Wii U eventually and it will be glorious.

Hacked my 3ds and I got Fire Emblem gba on it.
IYKYK

Svejk

« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2019, 10:09:14 AM »

I’m hacking a Wii U eventually and it will be glorious.

Hacked my 3ds and I got Fire Emblem gba on it.

It really is the best.  Overclocked PS1 emu and ehrthang.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2019, 10:09:47 AM »
another excellent choice

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2019, 10:12:44 AM »
Real talk the only thing as good as official, real, physical hardware is console maker emulation. Proved time and again with Sony(ps1), Nintendo (everything they make), and Sega (Sega ages). Wii U can play every damn Nintendo game not on 3ds or Switch with precision. Snes emulators on pc still aren’t perfect. Never mind n64. I’m told to just emulate when project64 struggles to play Paper fucking Mario.

Meanwhile, on Wii U.

You retropi niccas say to just emulate, you can get Nintendo rom that work on their official emulators made by Nintendo and get stuff that works.

SNES Classic uses the same emulator as 3DS/Wii/U afaik. I've been monitoring and compiling compatibility for it on this spreadsheet. Also includes patches to get games working on it. That said, I haven't -actually- tried any of the emulators on 3DS/Wii/U. Assuming when and if Switch gets SNES games it may use the same emulator (or updated!)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12HKfz4ZQBy6Ip5awvh8t2aV5cVswYlnsdKxn9xoIW2Y/edit#gid=2014317767

Nintendo's emulator (Canoe) also has lower input lag than Retroarch.

https://old.reddit.com/r/miniSNESmods/comments/8w0cg3/input_delay_canoe_vs_retroarch/
fat

Himu

« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2019, 10:24:21 AM »
Nintendo’s emulators are such higher quality. It’s almost like playing the game physical. Yet we are told we are nuts. You can dump the entire snes library on snes Classic and take advantage of Nintendo’s superior emu. But nah, gotta prattle about your retropi. Fuck off.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2019, 10:25:25 AM »
Demi to use old reddit go to settings and switch to opt out of design man

And nice links.
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2019, 10:28:11 AM »
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2019, 10:32:04 AM »
Nintendo’s emulators are such higher quality. It’s almost like playing the game physical. Yet we are told we are nuts. You can dump the entire snes library on snes Classic and take advantage of Nintendo’s superior emu. But nah, gotta prattle about your retropi. Fuck off.

You're not wrong but there are some games that don't work on Canoe (again, talking specifically SNES here) - so Retroarch is required. That said, you don't need every snes game available on your Classic. I have roughly 150 games on the system's memory alone, with the option to add/remove as I see fit. Perfectly fine.
fat

Himu

« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2019, 10:35:18 AM »
In relation to the tg16 mini who could be making the emu
IYKYK

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2019, 10:36:53 AM »
why in the living fuck are you nerds arguing over this :dead

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2019, 10:40:06 AM »
I too also interject in conversations on my high horse. Don't you have somewhere depressed to be or something bud. Relax
fat

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2019, 10:57:54 AM »
I wish I had the superior intellect of those kiddies who know how to use piratebay :stahp Screw me for being a gaming fan excited about cool collectibles and official products.

What, for collections and images?  Just google "Arcade Punks" and you're set.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2019, 11:09:21 AM »

Are you daft?

We hack this shit.

Why are you so triggered by this that you're dropping insults?  Nobody is calling you nuts.  Weren't you just posting that you don't want to be so cynical and negative all the time?  JFC.

That same test shows that least amount of input lag is using a Retroarch on a PC. 

https://forums.libretro.com/t/an-input-lag-investigation/4407/588

He was also asked to redo the test with all common sources of input lag removed.  Retropie with adjusted settings beats SNES Classic's Canoe and PC continues to smoke everything.

This was also almost a year ago.  All this stuff is constantly updated and may be completely outdated now.

Real talk the only thing as good as official, real, physical hardware is console maker emulation. Proved time and again with Sony(ps1), Nintendo (everything they make), and Sega (Sega ages).

And then Sony fucked up big time with the PS1 Classic.  Sega Ages' level of quality isn't because of Sega- M2 handles those ports.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 11:14:11 AM by bork »
ど助平

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2019, 11:17:04 AM »
I think Himu is referring to Sony's emulator on PSP/Vita/PS3 etc. It's a pretty good emulator, which they unfortunately didn't carry over for the Classic
fat

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2019, 11:18:05 AM »
I think Himu is referring to Sony's emulator on PSP/Vita/PS3 etc. It's a pretty good emulator, which they unfortunately didn't carry over for the Classic

Definitely- it's pretty much perfect and is mind-blowing how they couldn't make the Classic work as well.
ど助平

paprikastaude

« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2019, 11:28:39 AM »

What, for collections and images?  Just google "Arcade Punks" and you're set.

:anhuld never thought about that

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2019, 11:30:44 AM »
Apart from China Warrior on the JP version, that's a sweet lineup of games so far. I don't see why we won't eventually get Super Star Soldier, at least 1 Bonk, and Dracula X.

Dream would be to get a fully translated Ys IV and Tengai Makyou Manjimaru... but for US only releases I'd like to see:
Blazing Lazers, Soldier Blade, Air Zonk, R-Type, Neutopia I and II, Bomberman 93, Dragon's Curse, Legendary Axe I and II, Exile, Syd Mead's Terraforming, Ys III, and Legend of Hero Tonma.

The Turbo is an interesting console, while I find the hucard only game lineup not on the Gen/SNES level, there's lots of fun to be had provided you love shmups.

The CD had some excellent RPGs released for it like Tenshi no Uta, Legend of Xanadu I and II, Startling Odyssey II, Ys IV, and Tengai Makyou II, most didn't get US releases unfortunately.
^_^

Himu

« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2019, 11:37:36 AM »
yes i am talking about psp/ps3 emulator
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2019, 11:41:51 AM »

Meanwhile, on Wii U.

SNES Classic uses the same emulator as 3DS/Wii/U afaik. I've been monitoring and compiling compatibility for it on this spreadsheet. Also includes patches to get games working on it. That said, I haven't -actually- tried any of the emulators on 3DS/Wii/U. Assuming when and if Switch gets SNES games it may use the same emulator (or updated!)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12HKfz4ZQBy6Ip5awvh8t2aV5cVswYlnsdKxn9xoIW2Y/edit#gid=2014317767

Nintendo's emulator (Canoe) also has lower input lag than Retroarch.

https://old.reddit.com/r/miniSNESmods/comments/8w0cg3/input_delay_canoe_vs_retroarch/

Wii and Wii U use the same emulator? Hmm, wonder if it was an OS issue with Wii U VC games being darker.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2019, 01:26:05 PM »

Wii and Wii U use the same emulator? Hmm, wonder if it was an OS issue with Wii U VC games being darker.

In terms of SNES yes I believe they use the same. I think it's different emulator for N64 and such. Is the darken issue on SNES as well?
fat

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2019, 02:12:25 PM »
For Sega for instance, they're done by the same company that has done other Sega Ages ports. Basically, official emulators, especially when it comes to folks like Nintendo and Sega, are generally better.
BSNES/Higan shits on everything and is cycle accurate. Snes9x is really good, too, for devices with less horsepower. Sega systems have been emulated near perfectly as well (GenesisPlusGX) and there's a cycle accurate emulator in development (BlastEm). Emulators have come a long way since the ZSNES days.

These ARM boxes are collector's items.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2019, 03:24:44 PM »
This and the Genesis mini are the only ones I'm interested in, am pretty shitter shattered about the 3 button controllers for the US version though.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2019, 05:40:57 PM »
Did Nintendo ever fix the bug on Wii U that made everything like 30% darker as if the screen is paused and if you unpause for a brief moment the correct contrast ratio flickers?
Because when I played Wii U VC games it felt like someone had turned off the lights in Nintendoland to save some money or something.
🤴