Author Topic: Heavy Metal  (Read 50495 times)

Himu

Heavy Metal
« on: June 16, 2019, 05:25:54 PM »
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 01:46:24 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

team filler

• filler
  • filler
Re: Popular musicians that just don’t get
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 06:07:46 PM »
she's a zioslut and even worse she got old and gross  :yuck

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2019, 06:39:28 PM »
The Beatles
The Rolling Stones
Bruce Springsteen
Led Zeppelin
The Weeknd
Drake
You can pretty much dump all mumble rap in here too. They’re all so indistinguishable and interchangeable that it doesn’t matter which one I’m talking about

Also I think most of Madonna’s success was due to talented producers like Nile Rodgers. She’s been riding the wave of inertia ever since because teenage white girls loved her music in the 80s and will buy whatever she makes and attend her concerts. It’s why she can drop garbage albums but make hundreds of millions of dollars on tours.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 06:45:02 PM by Olivia Wilde Homo »
🍆🍆

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2019, 07:32:45 PM »
Most 80's music

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2019, 07:34:52 PM »
deftones and nine inch nails is two bands, that i absolutely just don't understand, that people i share music taste with usually love as well

Himu

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2019, 07:36:06 PM »
What NIN have you listened to?
IYKYK

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2019, 08:08:27 PM »
deftones and nine inch nails is two bands, that i absolutely just don't understand, that people i share music taste with usually love as well
Ha it's cool, I love TR but literally no project involving Maynard of TOOL et al infamy clicks for me. There's the occasional song, and people whose work I respect and others whose opinions I respect are into it, but it just doesn't happen for me.
Hi

Himu

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2019, 08:34:52 PM »
https://www.gaystarnews.com/article/madonna-is-overrated-accept-it/

I once went on a Grindr hook up, and when I arrived, the guy was watching a live concert DVD of Madonna’s.

I couldn’t help myself.

‘Why are you watching this?’ I asked. ‘She’s rubbish’.

‘You don’t like Madonna?’ he replied. ‘Get out.’

He literally kicked me out.

:lol

IYKYK

Snoopycat_

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2019, 09:11:33 PM »

U2. A band so sickening they caused an entire nation to go on hunger strike. Cunts.

Pearl Jam. A band for people who thought U2 weren't pretentious enough. Cunts.

Tool. A band for people who thought Pink Floyd and U2 weren't pretentious enough. Cunts.

agrajag

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2019, 09:38:43 PM »
Frank Zappa

BisMarckie

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2019, 09:44:26 PM »
Everyone who uses autotune

And Queen.

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2019, 09:46:14 PM »
Foo Fighters and Pearl Jam
◕‿◕

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2019, 10:07:00 PM »
For Madonna, I loved Ray of Light thanks to the William Orbit production. It was interesting seeing Madonna of all people jump on the progressive house bandwagon, getting remixed by Sasha.

But for stuff I don't get... mumble rap has gotta be a definite. Or for EDM, how Marshmello got to be so huge, guy just seemed like the dollar store version of Deadmau5, except he doesn't even have the knowledge of dance music Deadmau5 has.
^_^

Himu

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2019, 10:17:35 PM »
Everyone who uses autotune

even daft punk?
IYKYK

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2019, 10:31:57 PM »
Not a big fan of Serge Gainsbourg
©@©™

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2019, 10:37:29 PM »
it took me about twenty years to finally understand the love for deftones, specifically white pony, which funnily enough happened earlier this morning.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2019, 11:52:31 PM »
I don't get this mumble rap shit.
Spud

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2019, 11:59:22 PM »
Old wipipo itt. Mumble gets tossed around a bit, I have heard it labeling Migos over to like Wiz :lol

Also Lil Uzi is legit great, XO tour lif3 one of the best tunes of the twenty teens.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2019, 12:01:13 AM »
On topic can usually get why most stuff is popular even if garbo.  :doge

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2019, 12:06:05 AM »
i'm old, the thread

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2019, 12:10:50 AM »
Old wipipo itt. Mumble gets tossed around a bit, I have heard it labeling Migos over to like Wiz :lol

Also Lil Uzi is legit great, XO tour lif3 one of the best tunes of the twenty teens.

I mean, all rap is pretty terrible, except a few of the old school groups from the 80s, but this modern sad boy mumble shit is beyond garbage.
Spud

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2019, 12:30:38 AM »
the standout joji tracks give me all sorts of feels

Trent Dole

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2019, 01:25:52 AM »

I mean, all rap is pretty terrible, except a few of the old school groups from the 80s, but this modern sad boy mumble shit is beyond garbage.
What you're not psyched on a high percentage of popular material in the genre being bad xeroxes of 'ye's 808s lp? :yeshrug
Hi

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2019, 01:49:14 AM »
Man y'all are so negative. I can't even think of any musicians I don't get, because if I don't get them, I erase them from memory

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2019, 01:58:24 AM »
Oof some of the stuff I read here.

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2019, 01:40:37 PM »
Leonard Cohen

Although, I'm not sure you would classify him as "popular", more of a critics darling.

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2019, 02:21:56 PM »
it took me about twenty years to finally understand the love for deftones, specifically white pony, which funnily enough happened earlier this morning.

What ended up doing it for you?

I didn't hate them, but didn't much like them for years until my old band wanted to do covers of Bored and My Own Summer, at which point I became a big fan.

i think i associated the alt-metal genre with cathartic teenage angst in my formative years and deftones really didn't do it for me then despite the shoegaze and post-hardcore influences. looking back, i'm not sure if i ever ended up giving them a fair chance but change and pink maggit back to back sealed the deal for me

agrajag

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2019, 02:25:33 PM »
diamond eyes is my favorite deftones song.

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2019, 03:39:59 PM »

growing up with a parent that liked nin, pretty much fucking all of it. not so much deftones though, just seen them live at festival twice, and found it very boring.

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2019, 03:41:00 PM »
Deftones, Mastodon, Opeth, Tool and Foo Fighter for rock based music. Especially Foo Fighters, which just sounds like the most boring rock possible.

Rap wise probably Pusha T and the Clipse. Daytona was a banger due to production alone but Pusha is as average as average gets flow wise, has a boring ass voice, and his lyrics are kinda shit. Dude's wordplay is full of dad joke energy.

Foo fighters for sure for me as well. It's like they set out to make the most generic boring ass rock music they could, even shit like nickelback stands out more, as at least that's cheesy as fuck all the way through. foo fighters is just forgetable all around.

BisMarckie

« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2019, 03:54:46 PM »
i'm old, the thread

I‘m too young and hip to get dad rock like Queen. :pitbull

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2019, 04:47:22 PM »

growing up with a parent that liked nin, pretty much fucking all of it. not so much deftones though, just seen them live at festival twice, and found it very boring.

:rimshot :ohyeah

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2019, 04:59:11 PM »

:rimshot :ohyeah

agrajag

« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2019, 05:04:52 PM »
that ain't it chief, this is it

naff

« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2019, 07:31:28 PM »
Deftones, Mastodon, Opeth, Tool and Foo Fighter for rock based music. Especially Foo Fighters, which just sounds like the most boring rock possible.

nothing makes me cringe quite like people who earnestly love the foo fighters. i look down on a lot of guys at work for no other reason than they like them :lol

also, RHCP, but i can understand why people like them. drave grohl though :yuck :piss2
◕‿◕

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2019, 07:33:19 PM »

Rap wise probably Pusha T and the Clipse. Daytona was a banger due to production alone but Pusha is as average as average gets flow wise, has a boring ass voice, and his lyrics are kinda shit. Dude's wordplay is full of dad joke energy.

Foo fighters for sure for me as well. It's like they set out to make the most generic boring ass rock music they could, even shit like nickelback stands out more, as at least that's cheesy as fuck all the way through. foo fighters is just forgetable all around.

I know this is like the music of choice of gen Xers who never got into indie rock in the mid 2000's, but for the life of me I couldn't pick a Foo Fighters song out of a crowd of generic rock songs. I know I must've heard them a million times but it goes in one ear and out the other.
^_^

Himu

« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2019, 08:16:23 PM »
Foo Fighters is still better than Nirvana. :idont
IYKYK

agrajag

« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2019, 08:33:35 PM »

only their first two albums which are good, the rest is poo

Trent Dole

« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2019, 09:14:01 PM »
Do you like Wings more than the Beatles too :doge
Hi

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2019, 09:20:43 PM »
Not a big fan of Serge Gainsbourg

You were so close to perfect, Joe.
serge

naff

« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2019, 12:25:20 AM »

:trumps

nirvana had their time in the sun, i have some small amount of nostalgia for nevermind; being left with my friend and the trashy babysitter when their parents had ragers with that blaring from the garage. nirvana fans seem pretty rare these days. just another band posers wear tees of because of the iconic graphic design. saw maison margiela released a tee that is just the modern lovers logo without the band name underneath for $250 earlier in the year  :lol

unlike the modern lovers, and many other rock groups i dont think nirvana or the foo fighters have aged well at all.
◕‿◕

Himu

« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2019, 12:47:53 AM »
90's rock in general hasn't aged well besides stuff like Smashing Pumpkins tbh. It was on the cusp of 00 flabby rock.

I do like Foo Fighters more than Nirvana musically.

Everlong is better than 90% of Nirvana songs.

That said I get the criticism towards Foo Fighters.
IYKYK

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2019, 01:16:31 AM »
in utero is one of the goats fu all

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2019, 05:54:37 AM »
Nevermind was the Super Mario 64 of rock music.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2019, 08:11:25 AM »
Leonard Cohen

Although, I'm not sure you would classify him as "popular", more of a critics darling.

Nah man, Leonard Cohen is fucking great. Sit in a dark room on a winter night with a glass of whisky and something like "You want it darker" playing and you'll get him for sure.
Spud

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2019, 08:32:08 AM »
I'm not a big fan by any means but Madonna gets props for the longetivity alone. There was ups and downs but the string from Ray of Life to Confessions on a Dance Floor (up to 2005) was top tier as far as being a pop star goes. The music itself is maybe the least important part in that comparison to MJ it's more to do with her success, business acumen, her work discipline, a talent to pick surrounding talent, a strong flair for visual presentation and a couple of other things.

Otherwise I'm a bit like Transhuman, I don't really pay attention to stuff I don't care for... Oasis I guess ? Then again I don't care much for the Beatles either.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2019, 08:42:40 AM »
Oh yeah and Johnny Hallyday and Michel Sardou for the provincial mention that no one will get in this globalised age.

Sardou is amazing because the dude shat out a never ending stream of so-bad-its-good dreck with a heavy tinge of old fashioned French jingoism (bemoaning in no particular order Arab Oil Checks, Anti-Americanism, Criticism of Colonialism, the Concorde Crash, the Soviets, etc...) with the videos to boot but he still surfs on the success of Don't ever call me again France (about the cruise boat, the one good song in that reactionary trend he made) and tried and true wedding party banger Les lacs du Connemara.
ὕβρις

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2019, 11:50:21 AM »
For grunge, I've always preferred AiC and Soundgarden over Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and STP. Probably because I came from a metal background in that year and preferred the harder sounds of them compared to their contemporaries.
^_^

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2019, 11:54:57 AM »
I mean look at that beauty (the video is actually more :mindblown than the song) :

Or this one :

ὕβρις

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2019, 11:56:33 AM »
I don't think you have to choose. Nirvana Unplugged and FF's Colour and the Shape are undeniably great albums. Top 5 of the decade.

agrajag

« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2019, 12:17:01 PM »
I came from a metal background

wow what happened to u

:goty2

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2019, 12:21:05 PM »

wow what happened to u

All hail Cybotron !
:vr
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 12:27:12 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

agrajag

« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2019, 03:58:48 PM »
 :whatisthis

agrajag

« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2019, 05:17:10 PM »
eh, honestly I've been so depressed about the current state of Metal, I mostly listen to backlog stuff. Thankfully it's such an abundant genre that there are still bands from the late 90's and early 2000's that I can still discover. I have so been revisiting some artists I used to rock back in the day, but stopped for whatever reason and catching up on their newer stuff I haven't heard. Theory In Practice and Pestilence are two examples.

I went through a big Finnish melo-death phase in the past year, I saw Wolfheart (they opened for Swallow the Sun) a couple of months ago in an embarrassingly tiny venue. They were great.

Lately I've been super into Coroner, a band I've always been aware of but have not given a chance until latrly once my tastes matured to their current state. Really great thrash riffing, reminiscent of RIP era Dave Mustaine, and fantastic lead playing which is rare for old school thrash bands.

This Krypts band is pretty good stuff!

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2019, 05:40:04 PM »

wow what happened to u

The scourge of Hatsune Miku.

Heh. I got into dance music in the mid 90s, if anything is to blame it's probably Streets of Rage, the school bus driver playing an upstart local dance station (now it's just generic pop), amiga mod music, a friend whose brother lived in London who used to introduce him, and by extension, me, to all that stuff, and another friend who was really into it and made me mix tapes.
^_^

Propagandhim

« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2019, 05:50:21 PM »
Queen and Radiohead are my top 2

I can appreciate that Freddy Mercury is a master class singer, but Queen songs are the most obnoxious shit on the planet.   

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2019, 05:52:20 PM »
it looks like the whole point of this thread is to try to make other people mad, like what propagandhim's post just did to me
每天生气

Propagandhim

« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2019, 05:53:52 PM »
Okay, I'm exaggerating on the Radiohead stuff.  Kid A has some great tunes.

I'd rather be waterboarded than listen to Queen, though.

Himu

« Reply #59 on: June 19, 2019, 06:01:14 PM »
Queen and Radiohead are my top 2

I can appreciate that Freddy Mercury is a master class singer, but Queen songs are the most obnoxious shit on the planet.   

Die.
IYKYK