Author Topic: Game  (Read 10461 times)

Borys

Game
« on: July 10, 2019, 08:20:37 AM »
`
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 08:22:17 AM by Borys »

archnemesis

Re: Switch Lite announced. $199, no dock, has d-pad.
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 08:25:47 AM »
I spend 95% of my Switch gaming time in handheld mode with sound and vibration disabled. If I didn't already own a unit then this would be a great fit for me.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 08:31:37 AM »
Yep, almost all my time is spent in handheld mode. That yellow is mighty tempting, but I can't justify a second switch.
Spud

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 08:38:00 AM »
:trash

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2019, 08:39:30 AM »
Compact (:lol), dedicated to handheld gaming - because good old Ninty is so cheap, they had to save a couple bucks on a USB-C port :lol

kingv

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2019, 08:57:33 AM »
It actually does look like it still has a usb-c port.

I’m sort of surprised how aggressive in price this is. Knowing Nintendo I expected $250

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2019, 09:12:15 AM »
3DS is still $150 so if you look at it that way, this is an easy upgrade. The Switch soc already has usb-c on it so it's weird to remove the docking feature of it. I assume it still uses that to charge? I'm pretty pleased with my base level Switch so I don't see a need to change to this or the high powered one that is supposed to exist.

Tasty

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2019, 09:12:26 AM »
No HDMI out is DoA for me dawg :goty

And I really wanted a more portable Switch for Animal Crossing :goty2

I hate hauling the current hulking monstrosity around and having to treat it so delicately :-\

My 3DS XL is the perfect size and a fucking tank :rejoice

Tasty

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2019, 09:13:14 AM »
Switch Lite is basically the Vita Galaxy Note lolz

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2019, 09:19:04 AM »
I guess?
fat

Tasty

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2019, 09:19:18 AM »
3DS is still $150 so if you look at it that way, this is an easy upgrade.

Not only that, 3DS released at $250, and then the big ambassador price drop put it at $180... And that's just $20 less than the Switch Lite. And Nintendo was likely losing money on the 3DS at that price vs. likely breaking even on Switch Lite.

I think this is going to do gangbusters in Japan, especially when they start putting out more "special" consoles like they always do.

As much as I would try, not sure I could resist an Animal Crossing one if the design is tasteful...

The Switch soc already has usb-c on it so it's weird to remove the docking feature of it. I assume it still uses that to charge?

It uses it for charging but the Switch dock itself has some kind of hardware DRM/special sauce to make video output work, so they took the lazy route of not even bothering to integrate that stuff into the main unit...

Tasty

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2019, 09:20:36 AM »

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2019, 09:21:13 AM »
Special versions coming for Pokemang

kingv

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2019, 09:36:45 AM »
I wonder if the dock mode limitations are physical, I.e. it can’t support the upclock or whatever because of thermals.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2019, 09:38:35 AM »
looks neat, won't ever get it  :yeshrug
püp

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2019, 09:42:21 AM »
I like the smaller size and actual d-pad a lot, but no TV-out kills it for me.  Makes me glad I got some modded joycons with a d-pad replacement now.

Would be tempted to still get one if having two Switches with the same profile means it auto-cloud syncs save files, I suppose, but still pointless in the end.  Guess let's see if the supposed 'pro' model turns up next.

Also- I hope this means Nintendo makes their own left joycon with a d-pad now.  :doge
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 09:47:02 AM by bork »
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2019, 09:47:04 AM »
If Animal Crossing had cloud backups, I might not mind having a dedicated portable system for it... but AC does not support cloud saves, so...¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tasty

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2019, 09:48:22 AM »
Would be cool if you could mod an existing Switch dock so this fit, and then see if it hopefully just works at that point... :thinking

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2019, 10:00:08 AM »
If Animal Crossing had cloud backups, I might not mind having a dedicated portable system for it... but AC does not support cloud saves, so...¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I thought all the games support cloud saves on Switch?
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2019, 10:01:26 AM »
Would be cool if you could mod an existing Switch dock so this fit, and then see if it hopefully just works at that point... :thinking

There already are smaller docks and mods to take the Nintendo dock and make it smaller, which this unit would fit onto.  Guess we'll find out, but it wouldn't make sense for Nintendo to say it doesn't work with HDMI-out only for it to actually do so. :thinking
ど助平

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2019, 10:10:05 AM »

Nope. :(
püp

Tasty

Re: Switch Lite announced - $199, no dock, no TV-out, has d-pad.
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2019, 10:11:42 AM »

Switch does not have a save management system (outside of deletion.) Certain games support Cloud Saves -- a paid feature as part of Nintendo Switch Online. Otherwise, if you damage or lose your system, you're fucked.

Additionally, games can opt out of supporting Cloud Saves, and frequently do if they have a significant online component (ex. Splatoon 2 and Pokemon Let's Go) in order to prevent "cheating." This is the current reasoning on why Animal Crossing: New Horizons will not support Cloud Saves.

I signed the petition because I disagree; there is literally no save file as important as the one for Animal Crossing to an Animal Crossing player.

There already are smaller docks and mods to take the Nintendo dock and make it smaller, which this unit would fit onto.  Guess we'll find out, but it wouldn't make sense for Nintendo to say it doesn't work with HDMI-out only for it to actually do so. :thinking

Precautionary warning type thing I would guess.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2019, 10:18:48 AM »
This'll sell like crazy but no TV out kills it for me. I think I play Switch like 99% of the time docked.
^_^

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2019, 10:33:06 AM »
I play 100% handheld.

Very cool but the piss poor joy con quality means its a no go.

Mine have been replaced twice under warranty. If that happens on this baby outside of warranty you are screwed.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2019, 10:36:11 AM »
Damn I wasted $100, oh well. Buy this thing, my switch literally has never been in the dock

Coffee Dog

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2019, 10:59:58 AM »
So like the battery is smaller

My full size switch lasts 3 hours on a good day. It's already unacceptable, so this thing would drive me insane. Reminds me of OG 3ds.

kingv

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2019, 11:05:05 AM »
The Nintendo comparison seems to suggest the battery on the mini will last longer though.

It says like 4 hours for Zelda BOTW.

paprikastaude

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2019, 11:11:18 AM »
200 is still too much for its library that makes it feel like a retro console, but now a fair price for the hardware is achievable in the used market and in sales. Either way, no option for any TV connection through some loose cable is dumb, even PSP did that.  :doge

Tasty

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2019, 11:15:03 AM »
200 is still too much for its library that makes it feel like a retro console

:confused

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2019, 11:22:46 AM »
So like the battery is smaller

My full size switch lasts 3 hours on a good day. It's already unacceptable, so this thing would drive me insane. Reminds me of OG 3ds.
the whole device including the screen is also smaller so the battery will last longer

Fifstar

« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2019, 11:27:10 AM »
I wonder if the dock mode limitations are physical, I.e. it can’t support the upclock or whatever because of thermals.

Unlikely considering this is probably on a smaller manufacturing process and therefore would increase less heat than the og Switch.

It's probably more of a price thing. Include a dock and they can't price it at 200$. I wonder why it's not available as an accessory, but maybe they don't want it to to lool like a bad deal if the cost would be to similar which the accessory included compared to the og switch.
Gulp

paprikastaude

« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2019, 11:31:40 AM »
200 is still too much for its library that makes it feel like a retro console

I had a WiiU and normal mainstream consoles prior, so the amount of games that aren't old shit to me is extremely limited on Switch :yeshrug Maybe total fanboys get a hard-on for Diablo 3 and Pokken or Final Fantasy 8 or whatever, but I'd only be in for Odyssey and Luigi 3 so far, so anything above 150 bucks is still  :holeup

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2019, 11:56:58 AM »
Buying a Wii U is your fault tho

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2019, 12:30:56 PM »
Does this thing still allow a bajillion controllers to connect to it? Smaller screen might make that hard anyway but that would be the real shitty part

Seems like you can connect joycons and such but uh yeah no charging them on it obviously so you’d need a charge stand... this is for babbys

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2019, 12:55:18 PM »
Does this thing still allow a bajillion controllers to connect to it? Smaller screen might make that hard anyway but that would be the real shitty part

Seems like you can connect joycons and such but uh yeah no charging them on it obviously so you’d need a charge stand... this is for babbys

You can still pair other controllers with it AFAIK.

It's made for portable use- if I didn't play docked so much, I'd totally get this because I don't care about HD rumble and I never remove the joycons from the sides anyway.  It should be more ergonomic and lighter.  It looks even more like the Vita 2.0 now.  :P

And yeah, the cheaper price means more kid-friendly.  Right on time for Poke-e-mans.  They're gonna sell shitloads of these things.

That said, while it's not that big of a deal, it is nice to be able to remove the joycons on the O.G. model for if no other reason than replacing them if they break.  No need to send it in for repairs and whatnot.
ど助平

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2019, 01:23:53 PM »
The name of this thing. It can't switch, it is completely off brand.
Then again, it'll sell a fuck ton to kiddo's upgrading their 3DS's and people double dipping for a Switch that's easier to carry around.

The design, unlike the Switch, looks very classic cheap Nintendo.
🤴

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2019, 01:27:40 PM »

I don't think it would be a good idea to give it a different name.  This avoids confusion.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Unless they want to rename it to "VITA."
:marimo
[close]
ど助平

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2019, 01:28:26 PM »
This would be a good buy if I hadn't already bought a Switch. Just scratch off the logo and write Vita XL instead
fat

kingv

« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2019, 01:39:35 PM »
Then again, it'll sell a fuck ton to kiddo's upgrading their 3DS's and people double dipping for a Switch that's easier to carry around.

What is cheap Nintendo? In my experience Nintendo has the most reliable consoles for sure.

I have never had a Nintendo anything that broke outside of reasonable wear and tear. Even like my N64 controllers that were used by a suite full of college kids to play mario kart and goldeneye non stop for a year still worked, even if the analog sticks were loose.

I’ve had playstations that only worked upside down, or had PS4 controllers where the triggers broke in a year. And have sent at least 2 xboxes in to be replaced under warranty.

I had an OG game boy survive having batteries inserted backwards that exploded while playing, cartridges survive being dropped in the toilet and left outside, and a good friend had a snes survive his cat pissing in it.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2019, 02:35:27 PM »
Cheap as in, the design and materials used. Nintendo's stuff is reliable I give you that but the Switch was the sexiest piece of hardware they made since maybe the GameBoy Micro.
The Wii U essentially looked like a Fisher Price toy.

I would've loved it if they had named it "Game Boy Switch" or something.  :heart
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2019, 02:38:43 PM »
Switch was their best hardware since DSi/DS Lite, and those were much more plasticky.

Also, this is a Reddit mockup but I fucks with it:

Original: https://www.reddit.com/r/Gameboy/comments/cbhuyt/game_boy_forever_made_a_quick_and_dirty_mockup_of/

Edit- I added Tetris 99 and its GB theme to it. :)

« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 02:43:03 PM by Tasty Meat »

Bebpo

« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2019, 02:54:42 PM »
If Switch still kept saves on carts & everything was physical like 3ds, this would be nice.

But with Nintendo’s crap online and buying most Switch games digital, I feel like swapping between this and docked switch for games would be a pain in the ass.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2019, 02:58:16 PM »
I'm a little surprised they went with a handheld only model since that goes against the devices name. Having an actual dpad is good. Everything else I'm non plussed with but this thing is clearly not made with me in mind. IF they let saves be used across consoles this could be appealing for some people to double dip but that's not happening cause it's how several previous systems were hacked.
Hi

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2019, 02:59:02 PM »
If Switch still kept saves on carts & everything was physical like 3ds, this would be nice.

But with Nintendo’s crap online and buying most Switch games digital, I feel like swapping between this and docked switch for games would be a pain in the ass.

It's like Tasty mentioned- not all the games are backed up anyway, so it wouldn't work.  You'd have to transfer your account over each time-- Pain in the ass for sure.  Oh well, makes not buying one that much easier.  If they do something to change this or someone finds a way to dock it, might buy.

Gonna LOL hard if the hacking community finds out that they just disabled something to stop it from working with docks.  :doge
ど助平

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2019, 03:09:47 PM »
Legit jealous of the d pad but that's about it. I think I end up averaging about 2/3 docked play vs 1/3 handheld laziness in bed, so the completely handheld aspect of it is a no starter for me.
yar

Fifstar

« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2019, 03:28:08 PM »

Well, like you said, the target audience is kids.

Plus it doesn't look that bad. At least as good as any 3ds and leagues above the 2ds.
Gulp

Bebpo

« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2019, 03:39:21 PM »
Legit jealous of the d pad but that's about it. I think I end up averaging about 2/3 docked play vs 1/3 handheld laziness in bed, so the completely handheld aspect of it is a no starter for me.

I like the d-pad (would've been pretty helpful for Celeste) and I play probably 2/3 handheld in bed, but I still play 1/3rd docked and ain't gonna give that up.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2019, 03:46:45 PM »
If you want a d-pad, you can always either get the Hori joycon or mod/buy a pre-modded joycon with d-pad for full functionality.  Been using a modded joycon for a year and it's great!

ど助平

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2019, 04:08:56 PM »
So much Vita salt in this thread. Lol.
Spud

Tasty

« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2019, 04:31:47 PM »
So much Vita salt in this thread. Lol.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2019, 04:33:43 PM »
My Switch sees almost no use, but I would definitely buy a Vita 2.0 that plays:
- FFXII
-a new Platinum Character Action game
-SMT
-Animal Crossing
-Fire Emblem

:idont

:thinking
dog

Bebpo

« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2019, 04:34:36 PM »
If you want a d-pad, you can always either get the Hori joycon or mod/buy a pre-modded joycon with d-pad for full functionality.  Been using a modded joycon for a year and it's great!

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

Had no idea real d-pad's were a thing. Yeah I should grab one.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2019, 05:29:26 PM »
Still shittacular button placements.

gg Nintendo, gg.

Drainage

« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2019, 05:47:28 PM »
No tv out? Lol fuck that, what a bunch of cheap assholes. The OG PSP has a fucking tv out, and that’s without a library of games built for multiplayer and a tv.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2019, 05:53:11 PM »
https://twitter.com/NVIDIAGeForce/status/1149071142604247040

Nintendo: Well actually this thing is 720p

Nvidia :pika
🤴

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2019, 06:42:54 PM »
Seriously though: Those thumbstick placements are hot dook.

What is with Nintendo and their fucking distinguished mentally-challenged thumbstick placements. Are they all aliens? Is that why the thumbsticks are placed in places that MAKE NO GODDAMN LICK OF SENSE?

kingv

« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2019, 07:07:13 PM »
My Switch sees almost no use, but I would definitely buy a Vita 2.0 that plays:
- FFXII
-a new Platinum Character Action game
-SMT
-Animal Crossing
-Fire Emblem

:idont

:thinking
The regular switch is really big and has a really, really low battery life.

I can't really commit to any Switch games knowing that I can't play it away from a television screen for more than a couple hours without needing a full charge.

Would love to play Chocobo Mystery Dungeon, but I can't imagine sitting in front of a giant bigscreen for it.

A $20 external battery backup will get you enough to run for like 10+ hours

Bebpo

« Reply #58 on: July 10, 2019, 07:14:08 PM »
I am kinda surprised the battery life isn't at least double with a smaller lower-power (handheld only mode) hardware coming 2 years later in tech advances.

Only had my switch run out of battery on flights/trains but yeah would be nice if that didn't happen.

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #59 on: July 10, 2019, 07:31:20 PM »
I'm seeing cooling vents; does it have a fan?