Author Topic: The Bore-o-ween(er) 2019 Movie Watch Thread  (Read 5770 times)

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
The Bore-o-ween(er) 2019 Movie Watch Thread
« on: September 30, 2019, 07:24:24 PM »

Watch spooky movies and post about them here...if you dare!

2018 Thread
2017 Thread
2016 Thread
©@©™

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
Re: The Bore-o-ween(er) 2019 Movie Watch Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 07:26:05 PM »
This happened to me when a girl told me she just got Beetlejuice and I asked her if we could watch it at her place because I hadn't seen it in since I was a kid :fbm
每天生气

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2019, 08:15:50 PM »
This happened to me when a girl told me she just got Beetlejuice and I asked her if we could watch it at her place because I hadn't seen it in since I was a kid :fbm

I'm really sorry that happened to you.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 08:16:59 PM »
I'm going to try reading a lot of horror this month.  Got 20th-century Ghosts up first.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2019, 11:58:53 AM »
Not a whole lot of note coming to Netflix this month on the horror front. The only thing that might be interesting is this Stephen King adaptation from the director of "Cube".

There's also a new Sion Sono movie coming out, based on a Japanese serial killer. Doesn't seem like it's strictly horror, though.

©@©™

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2019, 03:02:04 PM »
Watched The Texas Chainsaw Massacre for the first time years a few nights ago.  Still effectively creepy, even with the bad acting.

shosta

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2019, 03:12:36 PM »
每天生气

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2019, 03:46:52 PM »
Why does the movie poster look like videogame remasters where they make moody environments suddenly full of light to neuter the atmosphere (Halo: CE remaster for example. Not that it was bad. Just unnecessary)?

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2019, 04:09:21 PM »
Watched Midsommar last night and while it wasn't on par with Hereditary as a whole, I found it a genuinely interesting watch with multiple layers to unravel.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2019, 10:35:34 AM »
Day 1

The Green Slime (1968, dir Kinji Fukasaku)

A Japanese-American co-production about a group of astronauts sent to destroy a meteor on a collision course with Earth and unwittingly bring back a sentient green slime with them. The slime grows and spreads all over their space station, turning into giant rubber costume monsters in goofy scenes like this:

Well, I guess not every 1968 sci-fi film could be 2001: A Space Odyssey. :mike The space station model looks like a plastic pool toy, but some of the sets are okay (for the era). I liked the scenes on the meteor.

Overall, a creaky creature feature that would be pretty forgettable if it wasn't for the sweet poster art and a theme song that absolutely slaps.

©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2019, 04:56:01 PM »
I believe TVC recommended that movie shortly before he died.
©@©™

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2019, 02:05:16 AM »

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2019, 09:48:16 AM »
Was he even painter in the book? I thought they made up that stuff for the movie, but it's been a while since I read it.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 09:52:27 AM by Joe Molotov »
©@©™

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2019, 09:50:28 AM »
 ;)

shosta

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2019, 05:32:20 PM »
每天生气

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2019, 09:54:36 PM »
I recommend The Eyes of My Mother. Very spooky.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2019, 02:14:42 AM »
anyone watching that creep show tv series?

BisMarckie

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2019, 07:34:00 AM »
I was in the mood for some shlocky teen horror last night and watched Don‘t Hang Up.
It was really bad. The acting was subpar the plot was incredibly lackluster and something you‘ve seen a million times before.

Btw. Is 1408 a good movie? Never seen it, but I‘d rather not waste 90 minutes of my time again.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2019, 10:41:42 AM »
The reality of a month of horror movie watching is you're going to waste 90 minutes of your life more times than not.

This is true :lol

But 1408 is a pretty good movie.
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2019, 11:39:00 AM »
Day 2

It Follows (2015, dir David Robert Mitchell)

I actually had managed to avoid seeing this movie up until now. Not for any real reason, just hadn't gotten around to it. I don't really have any piping hot takes on it, I thought it was a well crafted movie with an interesting concept, a few plot holes here and there, and kind of a meh cast, but why oh why, in a movie that's mostly populated with characters that look like CW extras are the only people that get naked gross old people?  :'( David Robert Mitchell, you've subverted by expectations, and not in a good way like Star Wars but in a bad way like Star Wars.

3.5 Hair Dryers in the Swimming Pool out of 5

Day 3

The Howling II: Your Sister is a Werewolf (1985, dir. Phillipe Mora)

Fortunately, Christopher Lee does not get naked in this movie. Sybil Danning sure as hell does, tho.  :-*

This movie is dumb as hell, and I love it. It even features the Reb Brown Scream™ which is apparently just his signature move and not exclusive to Space Mutiny.

Howling III gets even weirder than movie, but Howling II can't be beat for "so bad it's good" fun.

2 Sybil Danning's Tatas out of 5
©@©™

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2019, 02:35:46 PM »
If you had an orgy to pass of the curse, how would it know who to follow?
WDW

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2019, 03:38:56 PM »
If you had an orgy to pass of the curse, how would it know who to follow?

The movie also raises other questions that it's too cowardly to answer, like does it count if you pull out? What about a blowie?
©@©™

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2019, 04:35:05 PM »
anal breaks the curse!

team filler

• filler
  • filler

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2019, 12:00:59 PM »
It Chapter 2; pretty good

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2019, 08:23:34 PM »
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2019, 10:59:22 AM »
Movies #4, 5, 6

Brain Damage (1988, dir  Frank Henenlotter)
Trick r Treat (2007, dir Michael Dougherty)
Lifeforce (1985, dir Tobe Hooper)

My horror movie bro came over on Saturday to binge some horror movies with me. He'd never seen Brain Damage or Trick r Treat, so I wanted to introduce him to those and then we capped off the evening with a movie we both knew and loved, the most epic naked space vampire ever made, Lifeforce.
©@©™

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2019, 07:44:06 PM »
I enjoyed the babysitter when I saw it. 

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2019, 08:17:51 PM »
Tucker & Dale vs Evil is pretty good, you should check it out. I think it's on Netflix, or at least it used to be.
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2019, 11:49:54 AM »
Movie #7

Uninvited (1988, dir. Greydon Clark)

As seen on BOTW, it's film auteur Greydon Clark's (Angel's Revenge, Final Justice) killer mutant cat movie! The story of several awful people trapped on a yacht with a house cat that turns into a bad cat puppet that then pukes out a smaller evil cat puppet that kills them, because of something something genetic testing lab. It's just science! Starring Clu Gulager, Academy Award™ winner George Kennedy (in a role that will make you say "Well, I guess he needed money"), and that guy from Airwolf that wasn't Jan Michael Vincent or Ernest Borgnine. What a truly magical ride.
©@©™

team filler

• filler
  • filler

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2019, 11:07:52 AM »
Movie 8

The Being (1983, dir Jackie Kong)

I wasn't expecting much when I picked this out of a lineup on Amazon Prime, but then I saw that it was directed by Jackie Kong, director of Blood Diner. Blood Diner was a lot of fun and I was hoping this would be too, and I wasn't disappointed. This was the first of only a handful of movies she directed in the 80's and it was a lot rougher than Blood Diner. The script is pretty bad, the main actor is the director's husband/producer and obviously not a real actor (in a film that mostly wastes Josι Ferrer and Martin Landau in supporting roles), continuity between scenes was obviously not a major concern, the monster effects are pretty trash and I think they knew it because they didn't show it off very much. The full-on monster puppet was only seen at the very end and it was never on screen with the actors, so I'm guessing it wasn't full sized. The rest of the times, it's only seen in the shadows or in quick cuts, and it's either a much cheaper puppet or a kid/midget* in a cheap costume.

Despite all that, it was a fun bad movie. Kinky Friedman appeared in a minor role as one of the dumb hicks protesting the opening of a massage parlor as part of the mayor's wife's campaign to sweep away smut, in a subplot that goes nowhere but was good for a few laughs. It also had Golden Age Hollywood actress Dorothy Malone as a crazy old lady that gets her house pelted by bratty kids yelling "Witch, Witch, you got bitched, smells like something from a ditch!"

2.5 "We have to conclude that dumping toxic waste into the aquaduct is perfectly safe" out of 5

spoiler (click to show/hide)
* After I wrote this, I looked it up to see whether it was kid or a midget that played the monster in the costume scenes. Jerry Marsh, actual card carrying member of the Lollipop Guild. :lawd
[close]
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 12:19:38 PM by Joe Molotov »
©@©™

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2019, 12:15:50 PM »
Little Evil (2017)

(Image removed from quote.)

This is almost literally "What if Adam Scott had Damien from The Omen as a step-son". It's cute. Evangeline Lilly is an uncomfortably attractive woman :whew I believe this is from the director of Trucker & Dale vs Evil, but I've never seen that so I can't compare the two.
I found both to be terrible, but if you liked Little Evil, Tucker & Dale was a bit funnier at least, in my opinion.
Same kind of parody, just of a different horror sub-genre.

BTW i subscribe to your recommendation of both Errementari and Under the Shadow.
It's been a while since i saw them, but i remember loving both.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2019, 11:32:11 AM »
Movies 9 - 14

It was threequel weekend (+Chopping Mall, because they were talking about it on Cinemassacre).

NOES 3 - I think it's be the best horror second sequel? I can't think of any that are better off the top of my head. Dream Warriors is an awesome movie.

Friday 3D - It's not a classic like NOES3, but it is the first movie with the iconic Jason mask and the high level of cheese keeps it entertaining. I love the ridiculous 3D effects, like the fake snake popping out of the rabbit cage on a clearly visible wire, and the old man shoving an eyeball into the camera, shouting "I WARNED YE!" :lol

ROTLD 3 - Hats off to Brian Yuzna to have the vision and the courage to say (decades before the anime trend of Monster Girls) "What if we made zombies more fuckable?"

Omen III - It's a bit telling that the best scenes in this movie are when Sam Neill is yelling at a statue. This movie is boring as sin.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 12:40:58 PM by Joe Molotov »
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2019, 07:51:56 PM »
I haven't really watched much this week. I went to a screening of Friday the 13th at a local theater (they got a friend of mine to dress up as Jason to promote it :lol ) and The Wailing on blu-ray.
©@©™

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2019, 03:37:20 PM »
Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark is really good so far.  I wasn't expecting anything from it and it's delivering much more. 

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2019, 04:26:11 PM »
Saw Funland a movie about a theme park clown who can't distinguish himself and his mascot persona he was fired and goes postal at least that's what the synopsis for the movie and poster allude too...

When a mob family takes over an amusement park after the owner dies under mysterious circumstances, the recently-fired clown mascot seeks vengeance for the loss of his job.

Wanted it to be a slasher instead it's some dark comedy.

:larry
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 05:38:43 PM by D3RANG3D »

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2019, 10:37:37 AM »
Eli (2019, dir Ciaran Foy)

90 minutes of jump scares, followed by 10 minutes of TWIIIIIIIIST that basically invalidates the rest of the movie. 

The setup: Eli is a boy in a plastic bubble who's parents take him to a creepy mansion to undergo some super experimental gene therapy to cure his immune deficiency. The doctors are hiding things, his parents are hiding things, Max from Stranger Things shows up and she's hiding things. Some ghosts show up too, but they're really just there to pad the movie out until we can get to THE TWIST.

The twist:
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Eli is a spawn of Satan. His mom was barren until she had literal sex with the literal devil in order to give birth to him (the logistics of which are left to the viewers' imagination) and now Eli is about to come into his satanic power. His disease was a lie that his parents cooked up as an excuse to keep him indoors all the time where they could keep an eye on him, the doctors were actually nuns of some holy order dedicated to wiping out Satan's kids, and the treatment was just them pumping him full of holy water to weaken him enough so that they could kill him with the Daggers of Megiddo. His dad and the nuns knew the whole time that the "treatment" would end in them killing Eli, but his mom thought that they were somehow going to cure him of his satanism. In the end he incinerates and upside-down crucifies the nuns with his mind, crushes his dad's head, and then burns down the facility. He spares his mom (now reduced to a gibbering mess) and meets up with Max (also a Satan spawn, who was watching him to see if he would prove himself worthy). The three of them head out to the road to find more of Satan's kids to hang out with. THE END.
[close]

The ending is a such a 180 from anything that happened earlier in the movie that it's impossible to take it serious. This shit had me howling.  :lol
©@©™