Author Topic: I'm the Joker, baby! |OT| Incels Rise UP  (Read 32920 times)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Re: I'm the Joker, baby! |OT| Incels Rise UP
« Reply #120 on: October 04, 2019, 03:15:15 PM »
I watched the movie and all the alt-right themes that they are desperate to write about are actually not in there.

In fact if you want to make an analogy the movie has more strong left wing messaging. Such as the decline of the welfare state and social programs.
🤴

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #121 on: October 04, 2019, 03:43:38 PM »
Thank God, Shinobi's son's favorite superhero was there to save the day. :rejoice
©@©™

stufte

• Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior
« Reply #122 on: October 04, 2019, 03:52:23 PM »

stufte

• Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior

Boredfrom

« Reply #124 on: October 04, 2019, 04:39:46 PM »
A bunch of the negative Joker reviews are so laughably transparent in their political bent.

"But the crucial parody, the crucial mockery, the work of which “Joker” comes off as a callously commercial imitation, is “Black Panther”—a comic-book-based movie that infuses its framework with rigorously conceived and boldly assertive political visions to go with its elaborate world-building."
- The New Yorker

The guardian review mentions incels and Jordan Peterson and Ben Shapiro, the alt-right and other shit.

The new york times whines
"...from Phillips himself, who has been sounding off about the “far left” and “woke culture” and other threats to the ability of a murderous clown to make money unmolested."

Scared to say it was bad, upset this is happening in CURRENT YEAR.
"There’s an inherent worry saying Joker is a bad movie, particularly with the knowledge that female writers have been threatened for stating just such an opinion. But it’s telling a telling statement, both from the angle of women being terrorized to readers being so riled up over a review that they would go to such lengths. Maybe that’s what happens when a movie so unabashedly strives to give justification to the Clown Prince of Evil’s actions as Todd Phillips’ Joker does."
-Some rando @ culturess.com

The Salon review though, wow.

:delicious

"Is it a dangerous manifesto that could inspire incels to commit acts of violence, as some of its critics fear? The answer is yes.."

and
And yes, there is good reason to worry that this film will appeal to incels. The character of Sophie Dumond (Zazie Beetz) exists for no other purpose than to be a supposed love interest who is stalked, obsessed over, has her apartment broken into, and is eventually reduced to a plot gimmick. She is, in other words, an object in Fleck's world rather than a three-dimensional character, with her main function that of reinforcing Fleck's sense of failure and justify his resentments against the world. This is perhaps an intentional parallel to Cybill Shepherd's Betsy from "Taxi Driver," but we actually saw Robert De Niro's Travis Bickle interact with her in meaningful ways and learned about her as a person. While Sophie isn't vilified, the simplistic and objectifying nature of her story arc is problematic, and meshes uneasily with a movie that is aimed at the violently embittered.
-Salon

(Image removed from quote.)

:lol

Get a life bro

:umad

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Really, getting mad because a comic book film. Is really detestable.  :kermit
[close]

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #125 on: October 04, 2019, 04:48:31 PM »
curlys got to stand up for his tribe. You can't just throw up gang signs on his turf and expect to get away with it.

Boredfrom

« Reply #126 on: October 04, 2019, 04:51:11 PM »
Why the fuck this even needs to be a political issue?  Feels like reverse Ghostbusters 2016 as how dumb all this is.

stufte

« Reply #127 on: October 04, 2019, 04:53:19 PM »
Why the fuck this even needs to be a political issue?  Feels like reverse Ghostbusters 2016 as how dumb all this.

It's only going to get worse. At least we'll all be dead from climate change in a few years.  :doge

lol @ woke twitter censoring Joker as  J*ker. :dead
[close]

Boredfrom

« Reply #128 on: October 04, 2019, 04:57:49 PM »
You woke guys are just proving Todd Phillips right, you know? Hell, you are even proving that a lot of film critics are shit.

I seriously doubt this is a masterpiece, but come the fuck off with the BS of “is going to get people killed”.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #129 on: October 04, 2019, 04:58:34 PM »
Why the fuck this even needs to be a political issue?  Feels like reverse Ghostbusters 2016 as how dumb all this is.

Buying a ticket to J*ker is literally a campaign contribution directly to D*n*ld Tr*mp.
©@©™

Boredfrom

« Reply #130 on: October 04, 2019, 05:00:41 PM »
These dumb motherfuckers acting like some weird woke puritans are far more likely to inspire violence than a movie.

:doge

:brain

Tuckers Law

« Reply #131 on: October 04, 2019, 05:10:11 PM »
These dumb motherfuckers acting like some weird woke puritans are far more likely to inspire violence than a movie.
What’s more likely to be signal boosted to all corners where someone mentally unwell may latch on: a movie about a Batman villain releasing with the conversation centering around the performances and themes of mental health, social isolation, and violence?  Or a bunch of faux-woke twits co-opting that conversation to yell about on social media outlets and opinion pieces on how “MOVIE=INCELS=VIOLENT SHOOTINGS” and “WE SURE HOPE INCELS DON’T KILL PEOPLE SEEING THIS MOVIE,  DON’T SAY WE DIDN’T WARN YOU <smug smile>”

I mean, I know the woke-mob has developed a real taste for violence after Etika and Alec Holowka, but I don’t think that makes it right to continue egging things on.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 05:15:25 PM by Tuckers Law »

Boredfrom

« Reply #132 on: October 04, 2019, 05:17:00 PM »
I mean, I know the woke-mob has developed a real taste for violence after Etika and Alec Holowka, but I don’t think that makes it right to continue egging things on.

:brain

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #133 on: October 04, 2019, 05:28:58 PM »
A bunch of the negative Joker reviews are so laughably transparent in their political bent.

"But the crucial parody, the crucial mockery, the work of which “Joker” comes off as a callously commercial imitation, is “Black Panther”—a comic-book-based movie that infuses its framework with rigorously conceived and boldly assertive political visions to go with its elaborate world-building."
- The New Yorker

The guardian review mentions incels and Jordan Peterson and Ben Shapiro, the alt-right and other shit.

"...from Phillips himself, who has been sounding off about the “far left” and “woke culture” and other threats to the ability of a murderous clown to make money unmolested."

"There’s an inherent worry saying Joker is a bad movie, particularly with the knowledge that female writers have been threatened for stating just such an opinion. But it’s telling a telling statement, both from the angle of women being terrorized to readers being so riled up over a review that they would go to such lengths. Maybe that’s what happens when a movie so unabashedly strives to give justification to the Clown Prince of Evil’s actions as Todd Phillips’ Joker does."

"Is it a dangerous manifesto that could inspire incels to commit acts of violence, as some of its critics fear? The answer is yes.."

and
And yes, there is good reason to worry that this film will appeal to incels. The character of Sophie Dumond (Zazie Beetz) exists for no other purpose than to be a supposed love interest who is stalked, obsessed over, has her apartment broken into, and is eventually reduced to a plot gimmick. She is, in other words, an object in Fleck's world rather than a three-dimensional character, with her main function that of reinforcing Fleck's sense of failure and justify his resentments against the world. This is perhaps an intentional parallel to Cybill Shepherd's Betsy from "Taxi Driver," but we actually saw Robert De Niro's Travis Bickle interact with her in meaningful ways and learned about her as a person. While Sophie isn't vilified, the simplistic and objectifying nature of her story arc is problematic, and meshes uneasily with a movie that is aimed at the violently embittered.
-Salon

Get a life bro

[close]

Says the dude who read like every review of this movie to prove the critics are biased against it  :lol

Boredfrom

« Reply #134 on: October 04, 2019, 05:30:00 PM »

- The New Yorker

and
-Salon

Get a life bro

[close]

Says the dude who read like every review of this movie to prove the critics are biased against it  :lol

???

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #135 on: October 04, 2019, 05:31:03 PM »
any good cams out? i might give it a watch :snob

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #136 on: October 04, 2019, 05:39:56 PM »

Boredfrom

« Reply #137 on: October 04, 2019, 05:41:29 PM »

???

All u incels look the same to me

I don’t even have a Avatar, dude. Dunno why you will confuse me with Stufte.

Boredfrom

« Reply #138 on: October 04, 2019, 05:44:37 PM »
Its an interesting balance because the death of the welfare capitalist state is the material fuel for the unrest in the movie, but it's counterbalanced by portraying the movement in question as a group of revanchist bloodthirsty lumpen criminals getting behind a terrorist with no moral compass.

:thinking

Boredfrom

« Reply #139 on: October 04, 2019, 06:18:30 PM »
Boredfrom, you do realize any sort of political take on entertainment doesn't always mean "REEEEE" right?

Nah, this is about personal experiences.

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #140 on: October 04, 2019, 06:32:22 PM »
Thank God, Shinobi's son's favorite superhero was there to save the day. :rejoice

Shinobi was right. He actually is black. I was wrong all along.

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #141 on: October 04, 2019, 06:47:32 PM »
https://theconcourse.deadspin.com/youre-not-going-to-remember-any-of-this-shit-joker-re-1838770612

But all of this comes together to make Joaquin Phoenix’s Arthur Fleck the perfect Joker for our era; something that produces a whirlwind or reaction and counter-reaction, to the point that people are absolutely positive every theater will produce one mass shooting or that Joker will replace all western canon, and after all that, we get a positively unremarkable expedition that will be forgotten by Thanksgiving, a product of a media economy where three companies who make everything keep it as efficient as possible by just making a few types of media properties and hoping people will tear each other apart in the cramped space to increase every product’s Q rating. It is an endless debate over a social phenomenon it’s not actually about, a boring culture war that will have no resolution, and a million jokes people on either side of it don’t actually have fun telling. It’s a bunch of clenched, gritting smiles that made Warner Brothers millions of dollars, and then you go home, more likely to die from boring yet equally evil indignities than getting killed at a culturally relevant event.

so in the end it was about society

Boredfrom

« Reply #142 on: October 04, 2019, 06:49:59 PM »
https://theconcourse.deadspin.com/youre-not-going-to-remember-any-of-this-shit-joker-re-1838770612

But all of this comes together to make Joaquin Phoenix’s Arthur Fleck the perfect Joker for our era; something that produces a whirlwind or reaction and counter-reaction, to the point that people are absolutely positive every theater will produce one mass shooting or that Joker will replace all western canon, and after all that, we get a positively unremarkable expedition that will be forgotten by Thanksgiving, a product of a media economy where three companies who make everything keep it as efficient as possible by just making a few types of media properties and hoping people will tear each other apart in the cramped space to increase every product’s Q rating. It is an endless debate over a social phenomenon it’s not actually about, a boring culture war that will have no resolution, and a million jokes people on either side of it don’t actually have fun telling. It’s a bunch of clenched, gritting smiles that made Warner Brothers millions of dollars, and then you go home, more likely to die from boring yet equally evil indignities than getting killed at a culturally relevant event.

so in the end it was about society

So how was the movie?

Boredfrom, you do realize any sort of political take on entertainment doesn't always mean "REEEEE" right?

The joker gets to say we live in a society, but we can't :rodney

:rollsafe

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #143 on: October 04, 2019, 07:05:31 PM »

so how was the movie

the link to the full review is right there

Boredfrom

« Reply #144 on: October 04, 2019, 07:07:43 PM »

so how was the movie

the link to the full review is right there

Is your review? Nice.

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #145 on: October 04, 2019, 07:10:27 PM »
why are you so weirdly aggro about defending this movie

Boredfrom

« Reply #146 on: October 04, 2019, 07:13:39 PM »
why are you so weirdly aggro about defending this movie

Because I don’t like people shitting on entertainment and art because shallow politics. Esch actually has a interesting perspective about the film, a perspective that sounds sincere (even if I disagree).

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #147 on: October 04, 2019, 07:18:31 PM »
then maybe you should actually read the link before being a whiny bitch about it

Boredfrom

« Reply #148 on: October 04, 2019, 07:26:07 PM »
then maybe you should actually read the link before being a whiny bitch about it

The author sounds like a whiny little bitch even in the parts I agree with him.  :doge

boredform is the incel RE fears :jeb

:goldberg

stufte

« Reply #149 on: October 04, 2019, 07:29:18 PM »
The Joker will be this generations Gone with the wind. You can hate it all you want, but it'll be a movie shown in every history class around the world for generations to come.

Boredfrom

« Reply #150 on: October 04, 2019, 07:32:22 PM »
The Joker will be this generations Gone with the wind. You can hate it all you want, but it'll be a movie shown in every history class around the world for generations to come.

Kappa

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #151 on: October 04, 2019, 07:34:00 PM »
Boredfrom, are you gonna dress up like the Joker for Halloween this year? Did you dress up as Heath's Joker 10 years ago?  :P

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #152 on: October 04, 2019, 07:36:04 PM »
The only problem with this movie is that realistically Joker would be over 50 years old by the time Batman showed up, based on how old Bruce is.

You can say that maybe Arthur is canonically in his early 30s in this movie and just looks older, but I was still a little thrown off imagining the timeline
每天生气

Boredfrom

« Reply #153 on: October 04, 2019, 07:38:49 PM »
Boredfrom, are you gonna dress up like the Joker for Halloween this year? Did you dress up as Heath's Joker 10 years ago?  :P

:foodcourt

Día de los Muertos, motherfucker.

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #154 on: October 04, 2019, 07:39:38 PM »
I don't speak Taco Bell. American please.

Boredfrom

« Reply #155 on: October 04, 2019, 07:44:48 PM »

That Pixar film about spooky skeletons.

Boredfrom

« Reply #156 on: October 04, 2019, 07:58:04 PM »
the film is inherently political due to its subject matter though, so critics have to address it politically.

Many addressed it in a shallow political way that doesn’t sound much different from moral panics from decades ago. For political climate were a lot of people are saying that “we know and should do better than making silly problematic jokes from a decade ago”, we got exactly in the same trappings of old moral guardians. I think people are confusing me getting annoyed by endorsing the film (I don’t plan to see it anytime soon, sounds like misery porn :yeshrug ).

I should mention that when I quoted you it was less because your opinion of the film and more about the idea you planted there.

LMAO you can't predict that type of shit.

I’m pretty sure it was sarcasm.

stufte

« Reply #157 on: October 04, 2019, 08:04:38 PM »

Of course I can. I'm an expert, unlike yourself.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #158 on: October 04, 2019, 08:13:26 PM »
IM THE JOKAH BAYBEE. Going to see it tomrrow

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #159 on: October 04, 2019, 08:22:35 PM »
It's mainly Disney stans scared that Warner is coming for the crown.
dog

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #160 on: October 04, 2019, 08:24:13 PM »

stufte

« Reply #161 on: October 04, 2019, 08:37:03 PM »

Of course I can. I'm an expert, unlike yourself.

An expert at getting mad over woke shit, sure :doge

I'm not mad, but it sure sounds like you are.

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #162 on: October 04, 2019, 08:49:25 PM »
I'm not mad, I'm actually laughing. And if you say I'm mad again I'll gouge your eyes out and poop in the holes

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #163 on: October 04, 2019, 08:54:32 PM »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #164 on: October 04, 2019, 08:56:21 PM »
Just look what Joker has done to this forum!!  :notlikethis
dog

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #165 on: October 04, 2019, 08:56:54 PM »
 :joker

curly

• cultural maoist

shosta

« Reply #167 on: October 04, 2019, 09:03:18 PM »
每天生气

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #168 on: October 04, 2019, 09:09:20 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/B3ENgFdF5Er/

Coulda sworn there was a different link here a second ago... :thinking

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #169 on: October 04, 2019, 09:18:05 PM »
Yes. I was much more into the Incel friendly "girl I will never fuck" link rather than some half naked guy who probably has a had a girlfriend or two already  :maf

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #170 on: October 04, 2019, 09:40:19 PM »
Damn good movie.

shosta

« Reply #171 on: October 05, 2019, 02:28:04 AM »
每天生气

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #172 on: October 05, 2019, 02:29:46 AM »

Hey now. We're all gamers here, we can move past this.

Margs

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #173 on: October 05, 2019, 02:31:24 AM »

“How dare you? You have stolen my dreams, and my girlfriend.”
Margs

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #174 on: October 05, 2019, 06:24:07 AM »
I can't believe we've reached a point where lefties are scared of comic book movies and Mortal Kombat
See, I didn't leave the left, the left left me 
:trumps
🤴

paprikastaude

« Reply #175 on: October 05, 2019, 07:54:22 AM »

Hey now. We're all gamers here, we can move past this.

now is the time to be mad

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #176 on: October 05, 2019, 01:58:33 PM »
$39 million for Friday and Thursday previews.
dog

stufte

« Reply #177 on: October 05, 2019, 05:07:28 PM »
Just got back. One of the best on screen portrayals of the Joker I've ever seen. One of the best movies I've seen in a long time.

stufte

« Reply #178 on: October 05, 2019, 05:15:18 PM »
I'm an incel now, though.

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #179 on: October 05, 2019, 07:13:28 PM »