Author Topic: Disco Elysium = the worst named best new CRPG  (Read 16252 times)

MMaRsu

• Administrator
Disco Elysium = the worst named best new CRPG
« on: October 15, 2019, 03:47:04 PM »

https://store.steampowered.com/app/632470/Disco_Elysium/

https://www.pcgamer.com/disco-elysium-review/ 92%

The result of all this is one of the most preposterously malleable characters in RPG history. You can create a highly empathetic communist disco music enthusiast, a self-deprecating artist who punches first and asks questions later, a deluded rock-and-roll cop with a passion for democracy, or a drug-addicted feminist psychic. Every person who plays Disco Elysium will have a different experience as a result of the frankly audacious depth of its role playing.

How you complete tasks and solve crimes is dependent on your character. If you're the physical, all-action type, you'll deal with situations in a more direct, aggressive way. But if your character is psychological or empathetic, you might find a more subtle solution. Crucially, every kind of player is catered for. In my experience you'll never hit a brick wall because of the way you've built your character. This makes Disco Elysium a supremely satisfying RPG, because if you want to play a certain way, it's primed to accommodate it.

The thing about Disco Elysium is that my experience of it is completely unique to me, such is the dizzying variety of skills, stats, thoughts, and conversation options on offer. You could play through it five times and still not see everything, so there's no one experience to assess. But I can say with certainty that it's one of the finest RPGs on PC if you value depth, freedom, customisation, and storytelling.

Okay so I've played about an hour of this, which admittingly is not very long but I had a very cool first experience. And then I got a game over screen because I suffered a loss to my moral that made me give up my quest. Then I had to reload a 15 minute ago savefile and I was like damnit. I replayed a little bit and already had a very different experience than my first go around.

So I have to say if you like them ol' clicky rpg type games of Baldur's Gate fame and all that sorts of stuff then I say maybe check this game out. I'd advise to go in blind as I did but if you want check out this review:

oh and the writing is dope
What

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Re: Disco Elysium = the worst named best new CRPG
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 04:29:16 PM »
I really wanna play this, but my backlog is packed right now. :(
dog

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 04:39:05 PM »
Sounds cool

That name though

Occam

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 04:45:32 PM »
While the subject matter doesn't really interest me, I will probably check it out if it's ported to Switch.
I hate traditional jRPGs because there are zero actual choices ("press X to continue"), so this is exactly what I want from an RPG.

Bebpo

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 04:53:12 PM »
Yeah, that name is terrible and has caused me to avoid all the hype for the game.

Sounds pretty good. Maybe will play after Outer Worlds.

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2019, 06:34:40 PM »
bought and played the first hour and it's the first time in forever that i've been actually interested in characters in a game beyond being blank plot vehicles.

hopefully i can roll a complete cunt to remove all the most *quirky* dialogue options.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2019, 07:15:29 PM »
I'm the total opposite- I like the name but don't like either super open ended rpgs or obtuse retro crpgs.
^_^

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2019, 08:56:56 PM »
I'm the total opposite- I like the name but don't like either super open ended rpgs or obtuse retro crpgs.

yar

Bebpo

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2019, 04:26:00 AM »

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2019, 06:04:04 AM »
love to play a rummy cop who responds to someone politely asking that i pay a bill with the accusation that they called me a fagit with total conviction.

surprised there isn't a 500 page reee thread already.

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2019, 06:40:12 AM »

hope this doesn't awaken something.

Coffee Dog

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2019, 11:20:19 AM »
This game is phenominal so far.

Favorite dialogue choice at this time:

1. "Yes, I do consider myself a feminist."
2. "What, do you have a phallus in your ears? I said I'm a fucking feminist."

(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)

hope this doesn't awaken something.

It does, actually, awaken something.

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2019, 02:39:14 PM »
this game is cool af

bluemax

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2019, 11:55:55 PM »
What was that one crazy CRPG where the dude decided CRPGs werent open ended enough anymore so he spent a ton of his own money and hired people to make it and it was absolutely bonkers.
NO

bluemax

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2019, 12:00:21 AM »
The Age of Decadence! That's what I was reminded of.
NO

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2019, 12:05:01 AM »
I wish I had the time to play this
itm

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2019, 03:18:25 AM »
I wish I had the time to play this

while it's a massive game, from what i've played so far it's so densely packed with good writing and humour and has mechanical systems that all perfectly explain themselves from the off that you could buy it and just enjoy it for 15 minutes at a time like a book you keep next to the shitter. it's not like a baldurs gate or something where you have to put in a dozen hours before anything really gets going.

you at least owe it to yourself to get into the conversation with
spoiler (click to show/hide)
the african black racial supremecist who puts the fall of your ham sandwich race down to an obsession with pop culture and homosexual art before going into discussion about skull measurements.
[close]
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 04:19:09 AM by headwalk »

kingv

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2019, 08:52:30 AM »

I have that one in my backlog of crpg shame.

I won’t buy this one until I can make some headway into that pile.

Coffee Dog

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2019, 06:37:23 AM »
Please play this game.

The script is fantastic, it has some of the most organic world building I've seen in a WRPG. The skill/clothes system is allows for very personalized and unique builds that excel at different skills that result in *wildly* different outcomes (Just an example: when interrogating a group of characters, I had high Empathy and Rhetoric and was able to use their words against each other to poke holes in their story. My friend's character without speech skills ended up embarrassing himself with failed skill checks, and in a desperate bid to assert dominance Authority insisted he stick the barrel of a gun in his mouth). The characters are all varied and distinct enough to make just watching your policeman bounce off them be entertaining by itself. It ends just as the premise starts to get long in the tooth, and has a lovely, grim, and intensely personal finale. I loved it from beginning to end, the just over 20 hour playtime flew right by.

My only problems are that the beginning of the game is more fun than the end, given that the map only has a certain set amount of things to do the last couple days of your investigation feel more like checking errands off a list rather than a detective sandbox. And I wish there was another song or two for running around the main area.

Without reservation I can call this a classic in the genre and an absolute must-play. There really isn't anything like it.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 06:42:04 AM by Coffee Dog »

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2019, 08:13:11 PM »
I saw this really negative review in another thread though:
I don't want to do a full write up yet because I have a short attention span and no time but holy shit you guys should really play Disco Elysium. Highly recommended for rpg fans and people that enjoy benji posts.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2019, 10:15:31 PM »
So I'm like 10 minutes into this game, and I decided to play because of all of its accolades on the writing, but within the first 10 minutes I'm already grating against some of the main character's dialogue, and while I assume his character is supposed to be sleazy and annoying, I just think some of the dialogue options is poorly written '90s sex fantasy. Is this what I'm going to be in for for the next 40 hours? The rest of the dialogue is fine... nothing particular to write home about at this point--it is only the opening after all--but the MC's dialogue and inclusion just seems to have set a certain mood and atmosphere so early in the game.
dog

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2019, 04:56:34 AM »
sex fantasy.. dafuq?
What

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2019, 11:23:37 AM »
So I'm like 10 minutes into this game, and I decided to play because of all of its accolades on the writing, but within the first 10 minutes I'm already grating against some of the main character's dialogue, and while I assume his character is supposed to be sleazy and annoying, I just think some of the dialogue options is poorly written '90s sex fantasy. Is this what I'm going to be in for for the next 40 hours? The rest of the dialogue is fine... nothing particular to write home about at this point--it is only the opening after all--but the MC's dialogue and inclusion just seems to have set a certain mood and atmosphere so early in the game.

funnily enough that's basically the giant bomb quick look of DE too.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2019, 03:53:36 PM »

:lol

Oh you

I'm not on ree that much anymore and I've not played Planescape Torment yet, but have watched the opening 10 minutes and this guy is a moron 😂
What

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2019, 04:42:16 PM »
His sole complaint was that he didn't like Morte joking about macking on some zombie chicks. Like, literally that's the only reason why he made that thread.
dog

thetylerrob

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2019, 05:05:53 PM »

When I initially saw that thread I was thinking about the GB quick look. Twitter is rotting some folks brains it seems.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2019, 06:54:35 PM »
The name, theme, and Planescape comparisons are intriguing... What's the combat like? Don't really care for the rts-style a lot of oldskool style western rpgs go for (i.e. Planescape)
^_^

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2019, 06:56:06 PM »

When I initially saw that thread I was thinking about the GB quick look. Twitter is rotting some folks brains it seems.
BTW what the fuck is this obsession with determining whether a character (especially a main character) is supposed to be a good or a bad guy? I swear i hear this shit all the fucking time now, and seems to be a major issue for some people.
What kind of a way to absorb a story or a character (let alone a real human being) is that? You want the game to spell out whether a character is "supposed to be bad" like you're some sort of brainless child? Are people afraid to just look at something and have the freedom to draw their own conclusion, without being held by the hand to one?

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2019, 07:11:22 PM »

BTW what the fuck is this obsession with determining whether a character (especially a main character) is supposed to be a good or a bad guy? I swear i hear this shit all the fucking time now, and seems to be a major issue for some people.
What kind of a way to absorb a story or a character (let alone a real human being) is that? You want the game to spell out whether a character is "supposed to be bad" like you're some sort of brainless child? Are people afraid to just look at something and have the freedom to draw their own conclusion, without being held by the hand to one?

This is your brain on the MCU.
dog

benjipwns

« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2019, 07:36:28 PM »
They want to be able to not just like or enjoy but identify with the character and discovering that the character is bad in any way makes them feel bad because what if means they're bad. I mean they identified with the character and the character turned out to be bad!

The whole alt-right thing you're spreading about "drawing your own conclusion" is gaslighting and sealioning. To hide the truth about whether or not a character is actually bad from your audience is deception, the trait of someone bad. Which is a strong implication that the entire work is likely bad and has nothing redeeming, so should best be avoided so as to maintain ones physical safety.

kingv

« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2019, 08:09:43 PM »
I just want a game where the main character is captain America who goes home and binges hentai every night.

You’re spider-man but you believe in phrenology.

Thor, but you spend all day shitposting when you aren’t fighting villains.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2019, 05:37:11 AM »
The name, theme, and Planescape comparisons are intriguing... What's the combat like? Don't really care for the rts-style a lot of oldskool style western rpgs go for (i.e. Planescape)
Good news, there is no combat. Just a whole heap of skill checks in dialog, some of which can result in your death.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 05:53:40 AM by Rufus »

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2019, 08:55:48 AM »
don't savescum this shit either.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2019, 08:58:14 AM »
Good news, there is no combat. Just a whole heap of skill checks in dialog, some of which can result in your death.

:jeb
dog

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2019, 09:21:17 AM »
Yeah, bit of a shame that you can. Currently playing Vampyr, which does a better job with that. Doesn't even have a save menu, just auto-saves in the background.

benjipwns

« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2019, 09:47:24 AM »
I'm lucky in that a lot of my favorite characters like Elim Garak are nothing but upstanding fine citizens who would never think of partaking in any scurrilous behavior.

kingv

« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2019, 10:17:05 AM »
I can identify with Amir0x but...

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2019, 11:36:58 AM »

I'm OCD and like to try and see everything possible in a game so no can do... :p
^_^

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2019, 12:43:24 PM »

or truscum :bolo
©@©™

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2019, 10:03:36 AM »

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2019, 10:56:45 AM »
Finished the game. What a great time that was, will play again with a different personality for sure

Loved the little summary of my actions

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2019, 05:56:02 PM »

10 GameSpot
Nov 4, 2019

9.6 IGN
Oct 16, 2019

9.5 JeuxActu
Oct 28, 2019

9 Edge

10 Daily Star
Oct 21, 2019

9.5 Wccftech
Oct 15, 2019

9.2 PC Gamer
Oct 15, 2019

https://store.steampowered.com/app/632470/Disco_Elysium/
What

Occam

« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2019, 08:17:52 PM »
It's coming to PS4 / Xbone in 2020. No word about a Switch port.
"We’re going to port it next year to PlayStation and Xbox. We need to be very hands-on with the design of that. We don’t want to hire a porting company. We think it really is going to lend itself very well to console play because you don’t need to go over minute tactics and use a mouse because it’s very narrative in its nature." Robert Kurvitz

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2019, 02:14:36 AM »
This game is the shit. It keeps making me laugh.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 05:22:13 AM by TVC 15 »
serge

TVC15

« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2019, 02:35:02 PM »
It's... too.. real...

My impressions of this are great. This game was made for me. Definitely not for everyone though. You gotta like reading. This game will get a lot of complaints for having little actual gameplay, and that it’s more like reading a script or novel. Closest description is Planescape without any combat, with expanded dialog options and skills.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 03:13:49 PM by TVC 15 »
serge

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2019, 03:20:52 PM »
I found out the chapo trap house guys were involved in making this. And the designers were former soviet union video game makers. :lol
每天生气

TVC15

« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2019, 03:34:54 PM »
Yeah, the game is very non-American in its humor. At first I thought it was British due to the opening and the main character’s appearance, but I ran into enough off-kilter stuff that I read up on the designer. Another reason it won’t be for everyone.
serge

TVC15

« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2019, 06:52:23 PM »

There's so much in this that I can't wait to see ResetEra reactions to once this is available to the console underclass.
serge

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2019, 07:53:47 PM »

TVC15

« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2019, 08:31:28 PM »
The trollery...

I ended up unlocking the "Rigorous Self-Critique" thought/skill. This game is too fucking real. REAL.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 09:18:28 PM by TVC 15 »
serge

TVC15

« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2019, 09:53:15 PM »
Alright, last image from the game. I have to stop. Just play this game if you're at all interested.

This one shows why it's the game for me.

serge

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2019, 06:22:27 AM »

You manage to forget the slow decline of our glorious Western civilization ?
 :-\
ὕβρις

TVC15

« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2019, 02:36:38 AM »
My first ending :(

serge

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2019, 07:55:57 AM »
Well made point, imo

TVC15

« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2019, 01:36:56 PM »
I'm near the end of the game :( I'm apparently at the Point of No Return at 25 hours. I have a shitload of apparent side quests so I may just spend the next two days or so knocking those off.

It's a great game. Definitely not for everyone. It's a little bit too easy and forgiving when it comes to time management, but it's forgivable because this is a pretty unique game and the fix feels like the sort of fine tuning that could only happen in a sequel, once they know how people react to first game. The open world aspect is also a little bit too forgiving for my tastes. They need to include more timed quests or make some of the characters have daily schedules or something. As it is, almost everything you need is just right there all the time, with only the day/night state change really altering things. Feels kind of static in a world that otherwise feels very alive. Also, this is especially susceptible to save scumming.

But none of these complaints are important--my complaints are essentially the game is too forgiving and easy. However, the game never feels trivial or like it's actively wasting your time. The writing and humor is a pretty much constant payoff regardless of difficulty. I want people to play this and laugh like idiots, so "too forgiving and easy" may actually be a good thing. I can rec this game to people that wouldn't like Torment, which is a fucking terrible chore to play without a trainer.

The line-by-line writing will regularly make you laugh even if you aren't baked. The narrative unfolds nicely--the story feels like it's happening around you and not being dictated to you, unlike most games--but if you consider it, it's pretty basic. The world building is pretty well done, and there's quite a bit of it. I want to see more of this world. The game can get a bit too verbose when you're dealing with a world building-type dialog, but you usually know you're walking into one, so you can avoid them if it isn't your thing.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 02:12:11 PM by TVC 15 »
serge

TVC15

« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2019, 09:10:43 PM »
Another thought: the shortish length is also kind of a plus. Since the star of the game is the humor, I’m interested in playing it again some time in the future. That’s usually a pain with RPGs since they tend to be so lengthy.
serge

TVC15

« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2019, 11:07:40 PM »
Late game update on how my cop turned out.

serge

El Babua

« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2019, 04:06:35 PM »
Finished this today, really good.

As far as text-heavy RPGs go, this is probably the best one I've played. Loved the way you could craft your detective - and not just have your actions, but the order in which you do them - affected the narrative. The systems design was genius. Personality traits - or systems akin to it better be used in more RPGs going forward.

Game was way too easy however, and health and morale healing should not have existed IMO. If not that, then the alternative should have been to limit the amount of saves you had in a day, to prevent savescumming, and give more permanence to your choices.