Author Topic: Disco Elysium = the worst named best new CRPG  (Read 16278 times)

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
Re: Disco Elysium = the worst named best new CRPG
« Reply #120 on: April 27, 2020, 09:53:54 PM »
So I just got to a certain character and this game jumped to being regarded as one of the best ever for me. There's something about the strangeness of its world and the true cause and effect RPG game play along with these well written NPCs. So it's safe to say this is the modern day Planescape:Torment? I'm still working through it.
:9

Bebpo

« Reply #121 on: April 27, 2020, 11:00:56 PM »
For whatever reason the game reminded me of Pillars of Eternity II the most. Maybe just that both take place on an island archipelago with varying political factions. Also the writing and stat checks and quest designs feel closer to Obsidian than anyone else imo.

I think Disco Elysium's writing is up there with the best of Obsidian, but top Obsidian rpgs give more ways to accomplish quests with a lot more branching complexities, plus larger scope & combat.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #122 on: April 28, 2020, 04:53:03 PM »
This shits all over every other game ever made or that will be made from lofty heights, to the extent that when I put it down I may just change my steam password to something I won't remember and burn my PS4 and Switch. What's the point after this?
yar

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #123 on: May 02, 2020, 11:27:10 PM »
Finished this. Question for those that have also done so...

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Is it possible to get out of the standoff between the mercs and dockworkers without it all going to shit or nah? I was playing a mostly intellect/psyche build and didn't have a lot of focus in skills that would have helped me, but I kind of half assed it, managed to shoot the first idiot merc but couldn't stop Kim from getting shot but not killed. When I woke up two days later Cuno was my partner, and fuck Cuno. Like, not literally, but figuratively. Anyway, just wondering. Also, if you don't do the cryptozoologist quest, do you get to interact with the huge fucking alien mantis at the end or no?
[close]
yar

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #124 on: May 02, 2020, 11:37:15 PM »
Finished this. Question for those that have also done so...

Is it possible to get out of the standoff between the mercs and dockworkers without it all going to shit or nah? I was playing a mostly intellect/psyche build and didn't have a lot of focus in skills that would have helped me, but I kind of half assed it, managed to shoot the first idiot merc but couldn't stop Kim from getting shot but not killed. When I woke up two days later Cuno was my partner, and fuck Cuno. Like, not literally, but figuratively. Anyway, just wondering. Also, if you don't do the cryptozoologist quest, do you get to interact with the huge fucking alien mantis at the end or no?
[close]

The shootout has several outcomes, regarding who get shot/killed. Can't remember if it's possible to save all the dockworkers, though.

Dunno about the second part, but I wondered about that, too.
[close]
dog

El Babua

« Reply #125 on: May 03, 2020, 12:50:43 AM »
It's possible to save most/all of the dockworkers and Kim. You have to let the cryptozoologist guy spray the bait on you for you to be able to speak to the Phasmid.
[close]

Coffee Dog

« Reply #126 on: May 03, 2020, 11:47:09 AM »
You can save Kim and several workers, you just have to eliminate the first big guy yourself (either with your gun or the spirit bomb) and then pass the check to alert kim to someone behind him. I didnt play using a gun or physical stats, so I dont know if you can save everybody, as my Harry was really useless after throwing the bomb
[close]

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #127 on: June 29, 2020, 05:17:09 PM »
Played for an hour. Told the bartender I'm a feminist and that he has a dick in his ear when he goes "what?" at me saying that. Had a kid call me a taco and one admit to reading Cyberpunk 2020.

This game rules. I'm gonna make a character instead of using the Sherlock Holmes left-most class one to see how badly I fail in this opening now.

"I want fuck you."
*woman starts to crack up* "Say that again."
*embarassed cop* "I said 'I want to have sex with you.'"
"No, that isn't it. You know what you said. Say it again."
"I want fuck you."
*Woman laughing hysterically* "Oh, this is gonna make interviewing me awkward."

I'm sad I can't walk around in my underwear and socks as a hobocop.

El Babua

« Reply #128 on: June 29, 2020, 09:20:03 PM »
If you haven't already, call Sylvie through Kim's radio and fail the empathy check. Then talk to Garte (the bartender).  :lol

Also, finished the game again, this time with a more thorough INT/PHYS build and I love that

There are a few big revelations where you can find out about the nature of the world/reality, the future of mankind, the City, and the strike. All of those would be the catalyst of a journey in any normal RPG but you can't do shit about any of it since you're a deadbeat cop.
[close]

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #129 on: June 29, 2020, 09:47:12 PM »
https://collider.com/disco-elysium-tv-show-adaptation-details/

Disco Elysium, the latest release from indie game developer ZA/UM, is already set to get a TV series following its wide release earlier this year. Even more intriguing, the game will be adapted by the producer behind the now-infamous Sonic the Hedgehog adaptation.

:leon

It would make a great 1 season show that followed the general arc of the game's plot, but you would almost have to figure out how to do at least some form of the bickering attributes as characters in order to make it really work imo
yar

thisismyusername

« Reply #130 on: June 29, 2020, 10:52:17 PM »
I'm sad I can't walk around in my underwear and socks as a hobocop.

Actually, I figured that out. Just put them in your inventory.

https://i.imgur.com/Jj3oHZl.jpg

Cyberpunk reference.  8)

"I want fuck you."
*woman starts to crack up* "Say that again."
*embarassed cop* "I said 'I want to have sex with you.'"
"No, that isn't it. You know what you said. Say it again."
"I want fuck you."
*Woman laughing hysterically* "Oh, this is gonna make interviewing me awkward."

I actually paraphrased that:

NO JUSTICE NO PANTS:

https://i.imgur.com/Z6Jz7ys.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/DEKWh9Q.jpg

If you haven't already, call Sylvie through Kim's radio and fail the empathy check. Then talk to Garte (the bartender).  :lol

I know why she left, per se from him. But I did what you said on my rebuilding the character.

Actual game spoilers for this moment

"Threatening to kill yourself."
Me: I'mInThisPhotoAndIDon'tLikeIt.gif
[close]

Report I got no money, after going around (not exploring the shop area yet) getting spare change and change from the Union leader on the stairs. Report I lost my badge (after lying to Kim about it, who is shocked at the revelation and me fishing for the badge in my undies), lost my gun as well. Became the laughing stock of the precient, but:

So, it hits noon (A little worried at spamming conversations, since the game moves time forward. It's neat, but I worry about a time limit...), go to the murder site failing to investigate the tire-tracks, something I did with the pre-built character.

(I know you can punch him successfully, I did it with the pre-built)

FAILED: Fall to the ground having a heart attack. Don't use meds->Die my first death (the tie didn't get me. :( )

I'm loving this.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 10:58:07 PM by thisismyusername »

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #131 on: December 10, 2020, 08:06:53 PM »
lads we are blessed

Free upgrade btw

this however isnt

https://twitter.com/videogamedeals/status/1337196684913373187

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #132 on: December 10, 2020, 08:11:59 PM »
spoiler: yes

El Babua

« Reply #133 on: December 10, 2020, 08:14:02 PM »
Gonna cop the PS5 version when it comes out :rejoice

Hopefully that means they got more real voice actors and didn't rope in a bunch of people for free like the Chapp guys the last go around.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #134 on: December 10, 2020, 09:09:20 PM »
I'll give it a shot, with VA.

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #135 on: December 10, 2020, 09:58:48 PM »
as long as they keep Dick Mullen in.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #136 on: December 11, 2020, 01:44:04 PM »
Is the special edition the only way to get a physical copy? $250 is extremely steep for a collector's edition, like even your most weeb collector's edition doesn't go for nearly that much.
^_^

paprikastaude

« Reply #137 on: December 11, 2020, 01:57:54 PM »
physical? :leon
250 bucks? :holeup

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #138 on: December 11, 2020, 08:55:05 PM »
Is the special edition the only way to get a physical copy? $250 is extremely steep for a collector's edition, like even your most weeb collector's edition doesn't go for nearly that much.
I think they mentioned a standard edition coming, on Twitter.

Bebpo

« Reply #139 on: December 11, 2020, 08:56:43 PM »

Was the original not voiced? My memories of the game were people talking with VA in euro-accents.

Might replay this version for the additional NPCs/content. But have a lot of other games in my backlog, so probably won't. Maybe in a decade after I've forgotten the game. Really good game tho.

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #140 on: December 11, 2020, 09:04:25 PM »

Was the original not voiced? My memories of the game were people talking with VA in euro-accents.

Might replay this version for the additional NPCs/content. But have a lot of other games in my backlog, so probably won't. Maybe in a decade after I've forgotten the game. Really good game tho.

A very tine percentage of the lines were, i would guess less than 1% of the dialogue. Now they are doing all of it, including all the skills. The chapo trap house/red scare weirdos did a bunch of them in like one day

thisismyusername

« Reply #141 on: December 28, 2020, 06:18:04 PM »

The Chapo boys were the only ones that were voiced, AFAIK.

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #142 on: December 28, 2020, 07:50:38 PM »
There is a bunch others, quite a few from bands and so on

https://www.shacknews.com/article/115044/disco-elysium-voice-actors-and-cast

Kim Kitsuragi's voice actor is this Belgian guy https://twitter.com/julliannailluj
SikTh vocalist is also a bunch of the skills
The guitarist of Periphery, Mark Holcomb, is Tommy Le Homme.
Kyle Simmons of the band Bastille does that cryptids guy
Klaasje is one of the girls from Red Scare (the one that was dating the bug from cum town)
Measurehead is the singer of a smaller English band too.
The piss taco guy is the guitarist from Toothgrinder
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 07:55:53 PM by Mr Gilhaney »

El Babua

« Reply #143 on: December 30, 2020, 04:06:56 PM »
I wonder if the voice actor that did your Ancient Reptillian Brain, Limbic System and

your Spinal Cord!
[close]

is doing all the skills, or did they hire different actors?

I wouldn't mind him voicing all the stats tbh. He has some good range - and will add consistency to how the player's psyche is expressed through the game.

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #144 on: December 30, 2020, 07:33:12 PM »
Well it's not as if bands are doing a whole lot right now, so I am sure they could get him to do it.

Coax

« Reply #145 on: January 12, 2021, 08:33:52 AM »
I wonder how the full VA will be received. Either I buy it prior to the update and make a backup or see what the impressions are after the fact. Been lingering in my wishlist for a while.

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #146 on: January 15, 2021, 02:31:39 AM »
I can't even begin to comprehend playing this fully voice acted. I read super fucking fast and turned off all the voices; this seems like it'd add +20 hours onto the game

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #147 on: January 15, 2021, 06:53:30 AM »
Forgot to get this during the Epic Sale with the coupon :gloomy
itm

Boredfrom

« Reply #148 on: May 06, 2021, 07:55:45 PM »
I forgot how addicting this game is. Even knowing the outcomes or that there is no much difference in the long run in the choices, the writing is solid as hell.