Author Topic: The Outer Worlds  (Read 15661 times)

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
Re: The Outer Worlds
« Reply #120 on: October 27, 2019, 04:44:36 PM »
There are some nice nooks and crannies you can climb into which gives it a deus ex feel. Also the low consequence stealing aspect.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #121 on: October 27, 2019, 05:26:57 PM »
Played some more.
I probably won't finish it, because i'm finding characters and story especially dull, but i like that you can just shoot a quest giver in the face, and continue the story regardless.

Bebpo

« Reply #122 on: October 27, 2019, 06:56:12 PM »
There are some nice nooks and crannies you can climb into which gives it a deus ex feel. Also the low consequence stealing aspect.

The low consequence stealing is pretty dumb and kills the role playing a bit when you can play a good person build and still steal every fucking thing no consequences if no one is looking. Considering there’s good weapons, money, ammo to steal everywhere it doesn’t make sense not to do it.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #123 on: October 27, 2019, 07:19:51 PM »
It depends on how you view the stealing. Low consequence stealing is common in jrpgs or even just general rpgs hybrids like deus ex where exploring is encouraged. That being said, yeah I wish there was a stronger mechanic involved in this aspect of the game since we all know this is aping fallout/elder scrolls and even goes so far as to change the color of the items you are stealing.

It's fine for the first game in a series for me. I expect them to refine the system in a sequel. That could be said for a lot of The Outer Worlds. I think the game is quite good for an original entry in a franchise. I'm expect a lot of refinements for the sequel especially now that they will have real money behind them. But overall I'm fine with nearly everything here. Just refine and deepen it for the next title.

nachobro

• Live Más

Stoney Mason

« Reply #125 on: October 28, 2019, 01:25:28 AM »

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
©@©™

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #127 on: October 28, 2019, 04:51:12 AM »
Took a look at some of the companions and factions ahead in the game, none of them seemed interesting, so i uninstalled it.  :goty2

Gonna wait for Cyberpunk & Vampire, at this point.
I play very few RPGs, so i guess i'll make it count.

Freyj

« Reply #128 on: October 29, 2019, 01:55:25 AM »
Pretty down on this one as well. Close to finishing it but there’s nothing really going on here since I left the first planet that’s caught my eye. Like Eurojank without the soul. Fallout 4 was not great but I’ll remember it more than whatever this was.

Will look forward to Obsidian having the experience and foundation to make something more than a tech demo with a sequel.

Bebpo

« Reply #129 on: October 29, 2019, 05:06:59 AM »
imo the blandness feels like they wanted to make a mass appeal game that would sell like a Fallout and management thought their “obsidian” style of characters/writing was too quirky/niche so they toned everything down to make a more grounded game that could fool you (and hopefully joe six pack) into thinking it’s a Bethesda game.

Except Bethesda writing is boring so that was dumb.

Maybe with the MS pick up they’ll feel less pressured to make games that sell and will focus more on their strengths.  Very much looking forward to the next JE Sawyer game and hopefully he doesn’t leave the studio (there were rumors when pillars II launched, had drama and then bombed spectacularly). And it seems unlikely Chris Avellone will guest write for them anymore after he basically talked shit on them with Pillars II which is a shame because Pillars I was good! And II is still pretty good even with flaws, so it’s unfortunate development of that seemed to cause ripples. Would hate for Obsidian to lose their main talent and fall apart as a studio.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #130 on: October 29, 2019, 05:09:12 AM »
Maybe with the MS pick up they’ll feel less pressured to make games that sell and will focus more on their strengths.

I think the more likely scenario is that they'll get shut down in a couple of years.

Bebpo

« Reply #131 on: October 29, 2019, 05:11:45 AM »
Hopefully MS handles their latest acquisitions better than they did the old studios like Ensemble or Rare.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #132 on: October 29, 2019, 08:37:59 AM »
I'm still enjoying this quite a bit. Just tooling around Monarch and doing 1500 quests, it seems this is where the game picks up. Getting the Mk2/2.0/Ultra weapons helped a lot too.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #133 on: October 29, 2019, 09:33:04 AM »
Finished it yesterday. Game is - fine. Good effort. By the numbers. B+

The main problem I had was that I didn't care about *anything* that was happening. Monarch really took the wind out of my sail, as it was a larger retread of Edgewater. I only saw it through because I felt that I was near the end once I was done there and that turned out to be right.
Kept mulling the idea of an idiot melee character playthrough who leans on companions and accepts every flaw, but - nah, I'm good.

- even on hard, this game is too easy; balanced for people who mainline the story, I suppose.
- I amassed several thousand shots of each ammo type (had 10k light ammo at one point)
- flaws system is a cool idea (perk points in exchange for permanent debuffs to stats or resits), but...
- ...most Perks blow? I almost picked at random some time past level 20
- perks are bland so you can't  screw yourself over? Likely.
- putting more than 80 points (maybe even 60) into any weapon ability is pointless, but...
- ...it does make it feel OK to use weapons your character isn't proficient with (not that I ever needed to)
- companions are OK; would have appreciated them more in a different game
- my game thinks Parvati is dead, so it insta fails her companion quest when I accept it :<
- but that's also the only major bug I've encountered ⭐
spoiler (click to show/hide)
- doing Max' companion quest felt like a mistake. Helping him find his inner peace made him appear lobotomized. Completely doused the fire in him. If there's a different way to do it, I suggest you do that. Don't 'shoot' his inner self. My ending slide had him looking out to sea and everything. :scust
- "The Board" is effectively one person. Call me naive, but I actually expected to negotiate with someone, balance various interests, present my case, have my efforts with the corporations throughout the game pay off in conversation, rather than a handful off troops per corps/group helping me storm the last bastion...
- ...redundantly, as I could holo-sneak past everything (didn't even get much use out of Phineas' nice shotgun)

So, the colony is not getting the nutrients they need because the terraform fucked things up, but what about the Cysty-pigs? They're thriving, apparently, but presumably not metabolizing the nutrients people need? What about Saltuna? Embertown was falling apart because they started stretching and substituting, but it sounded like things were fine so long as it was rolling in. The dissidents in Embertown also found a way to thrive, but neither the good nor the bad guys fully acknowledge it. They could have at least handwaved these things. You're supposed to think it's just mismanagment until you find out about the nutrient problem, but with these loose threads it still looks like mismanagment. Maybe I missed something...
[close]

tl;dr Not even industry legends (Boyarsky and Cain) get to make a big budget RPG with interesting ideas, huh? :goty2
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 10:23:25 AM by Rufus »

Freyj

« Reply #134 on: October 29, 2019, 10:03:13 AM »
If you’ve seen most of Edgewater you’ve seen the game, every other planet, enemy, item, quest, perk, whatever is a shadow of something you’ve already seen on Edgewater and none of it matters and none of it is of much interest.

I love Obsidian, but people hailing this as the death of Bethesda are insane and need to slow their roll. Bethesda will probably kill itself without the help of this thing.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #135 on: October 29, 2019, 10:15:42 AM »
Loot is the only thing that really seems lacking to me, cause there's basically only two base versions of every weapon/armor. The regular and the upgraded one, everything else is just a mod. But if I wanted a loot game there's about a million other games that do that to varying degrees of success.

Maybe it's because I rarely play these kind of games but it has what I'm looking for with pretty good dialogue, lots of stuff to do, interesting companion stuff, and it all actually works which seems somewhat rare for a game at launch these days.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #136 on: October 29, 2019, 12:17:26 PM »
If you’ve seen most of Edgewater you’ve seen the game, every other planet, enemy, item, quest, perk, whatever is a shadow of something you’ve already seen on Edgewater and none of it matters and none of it is of much interest.

I love Obsidian, but people hailing this as the death of Bethesda are insane and need to slow their roll. Bethesda will probably kill itself without the help of this thing.
That will be if TESVI isn't a BIG technical and production improvement over their past efforts.
They really need to catch up with the times, because between Witcher 3, and every other game going open world, the base Elder Scrolls gimmick isn't all that unique for "normies" anymore, either.

They're using photogrammetry though, so maybe they are taking Fallout 4's flop seriously.

As for Outer Worlds, the blandness of everything was what did it for me.
Starting from the "moral conflict" in Edgewater, which was really hard to take seriously, populated by such caricatures (and extended to the Groundbreaker, after which i quit).
The second element were the bland sidekicks. In games like Mass Effect and these, that's really they main draw, beyond getting to save or burn the village; but everyone immediately felt like a stereotype that, with every line, just kept reinforcing that one note.
It made for a very bland experience, and as i said reminded me of something out of a Saturday morning cartoon, which is fine for an action game, but not for one based around 1000s of lines of dialog you're supposed to comb through with interest.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #137 on: October 29, 2019, 01:10:06 PM »
They're using photogrammetry though, so maybe they are taking Fallout 4's flop seriously.

You mean Fallout 76? Because Fallout 4 definitely didn't flop.
dog

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #138 on: October 29, 2019, 01:37:49 PM »
But it was a pile of shit compared to 3 and NV.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #139 on: October 29, 2019, 01:59:30 PM »
I mean, that's fine, but it most definitely didn't flop or anything close to flop.
dog

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #140 on: October 29, 2019, 02:09:06 PM »
Yeah pretty sure it sold millions

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #141 on: October 29, 2019, 02:28:45 PM »

You mean Fallout 76? Because Fallout 4 definitely didn't flop.
Yeah, sorry 76.
Although even 4 didn't really set the world on fire like 3 did in terms of public response.

It feels like they're burning through the Skyrim's goodwill with that studio.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #142 on: October 29, 2019, 02:38:36 PM »
FO4 did 20M+ IIRC

Fuck me thats disgusting

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #143 on: October 29, 2019, 05:21:20 PM »
i dunno their strategy of charging people to store more items in 76 and then deleting all of them was a pretty smart way to win back consumer trust

Bebpo

« Reply #144 on: October 31, 2019, 02:33:54 AM »
Got to Monarch and man, Rosewater was so completely boring the game is starting to fall to the "not worth your time" category where I should just move on and play Disco Elysium or some other rpg. I don't know how they've managed to make the locations & characters so boring and there's nothing interesting to find while exploring.

Maybe everyone just shouting corporate slogans and being afraid to actually talk to you wasn't a real good idea for making interesting places and people.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #145 on: October 31, 2019, 04:09:26 AM »
Got to Monarch and man, Rosewater was so completely boring the game is starting to fall to the "not worth your time" category where I should just move on and play Disco Elysium or some other rpg. I don't know how they've managed to make the locations & characters so boring and there's nothing interesting to find while exploring.

Maybe everyone just shouting corporate slogans and being afraid to actually talk to you wasn't a real good idea for making interesting places and people.
I've read from a lot of people that the game is front-loaded, and tends to get boring in the second half, so i don't feel too bad about dropping it.
However it's not too long, in 15 hours or so you should be done with it, at least.

Bebpo

« Reply #146 on: October 31, 2019, 06:43:00 AM »
Couldn't sleep so played so more this and finished out all the sidequests so far. Also upped it to hard and the dungeon crawling is a little more satisfying but basically comes down to me sniping enemies from far before they can get close while SAM sprays them all to death.

Still pretty mixed on it. You definitely have to be in the right mood for it to click.

The inventory management sucks though.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #147 on: October 31, 2019, 09:19:18 PM »
https://www.polygon.com/2019/10/31/20941823/outer-worlds-free-obsidian-fallout-2-epic-games-store-exclusive
In 1998, Feargus Urquhart sent me a copy of Fallout 2 because I emailed Black Isle and said my parents couldn’t afford to buy it for me. That’s a real thing that happened (and a super weird story in retrospect). Now, 20+ years later as a tax paying adult, I am ready, willing and able to spend money on the latest title from my absolute favorite developers — and it’s exclusive on PC to the Epic Games Store for a fucking YEAR? Dude this suuuuuucks. I’ve invested thousands of dollars into my Steam library, and I really don’t want to have to download the Epic launcher. Please don’t make me.

Mr. Urquhart — if I repay my debt to you from 1998, can we somehow reduce that exclusivity wait? I can paypal you immediately for F2 — plus interest from the last 21 years.

Hi Jon,

Thank you for reaching out to us! So I talked with Feargus and he asked me to respond with this:

Hey Jon,

That is amazing that you remember that, and I’m glad that you did. I think I’m going to “help you out” again. Here’s a key to the Epic Game Store for The Outer Worlds. I’m not saying this is a challenge or anything, but what will you do?

[An Epic Game Store key followed.]

All the best,

Feargus

tuxedojack tells Polygon that he just wanted to see if the folks at Obsidian remembered the exchange from back in 1998. The Epic Games Store stuff wasn’t truly a problem — after all, he had already bought the game. He wasn’t truly expecting a free game or a response.

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #148 on: November 01, 2019, 05:54:02 AM »
The inventory management sucks though.

It really does. And the loot is pretty boring. But it's much greater than the sum of its parts
itm

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #149 on: November 01, 2019, 08:11:17 AM »
that first story is awesome but giving an egs key no thx wouldnt even want that crap
What

Bebpo

« Reply #150 on: November 02, 2019, 12:26:06 AM »
Just got to Fallbrook. The main problem with Monarch is the world between the towns is zzz af
I mean the towns aren't great either but at least with the questing and dialogue they're something.

The gameplay exploration in this game feels junky to me. There's just nothing interesting to explore and find and the combat vs monsters, robots, marauders gets old. The only enjoyable part by midway where I'm at is the towns and questing tbh.

But it sounds like there isn't a ton left so will finish this up. Been doing 100% sidequests so far.

Bebpo

« Reply #151 on: November 02, 2019, 05:08:41 AM »
Ended up surprisingly getting into this and played about 4-5 hours straight. Almost done with Monarch and if there's not much after I might even clear this tomorrow or Sunday. ~17 hours now.

While Monarch overworld is kinda zzz, the planet itself between all the quests and factions are good. It's basically a better, bigger Edgewater which was too simplified. It's still not as in-depth as New Vegas factions, but it's at least at like maybe Tyranny level in Monarch. Now that I'm at the end of Monarch I really think that making the game several world hubs was a mistake and this game would've been better off as an open-world giant single map with various factions and lots of places to explore. While I like some of the areas like Groundbreaker, overall Terra 2 and Monarch are close enough to the same they could've been the same planet map and the rest are just small little bits.

The companions are growing on me now that I've heard a lot of their barks and finished a lot of their personal quests (I'm still waiting for Ellie & Max's to trigger the start. Guessing both don't until Bzyantium?). I think the companions and their stories are better than the rest of the quests in the game since the world feels kinda plain.

In retrospect with the plainness of everything and shortness of it, it's kind of giving me Fallout 1 vibes a bit. Although lore-wise I think this universe they built is way less interesting than the Fallout universe or a lot of other rpgs like Mass Effect lore and such.

Bebpo

« Reply #152 on: November 02, 2019, 05:30:18 AM »
Oh and one thing I realized is I hope the game is mod friendly because it could be made so much better with some hardcore mods that make the dialogue checks more challenging along with other aspects more balanced. Game is way too easy in a baby’s first fallout kinda way.

Coffee Dog

« Reply #153 on: November 02, 2019, 07:36:15 AM »
I keep trying to get into this but the AI for teammates is terrible (playing on the mode with permadeath and survival elements) but the worst part is the bland ass saltine crackers NPCs/quest writing. I made it out of edgewater and I didnt give a shit about a single character, I had barely any interesting responses (when I had them at all. Characters would ask me my opinion on where to divert the power and i would be able to choose from like 3 fucking responses "I agree""I disagree" "Stop talking (End Conversation)"), and i still know jack shit all about the setting other than that I'm really already over these moustache twirling aperture science corporations as they seem to only have one joke (their cruelty).

Why the fuck do i care about these colonists i need to wake up i guess? I forgot thats what i was even doing until Scientist Man reminded me when I left Edgewater. To stop the board? Why would I give a shit, it seems like they run everything anyways, and given that marauders seem to outnumber the citizens of edgewater, they seem like theyre the only people keeping society together.

At this point in fallout new vegas, I have already -
-been given someone who fucked me over that has a clear face, Benny
-been presented with a central mystery (the platinum chip and the courier's final delivery)
-been presented with multiple memorable npcs who interact with you in fun ways (doc hayward, Sunny Smiles the tutorial woman, the bartender, Victor the cowboy robot, the lovely voice of Mr. New Vegas introducing you to the current events and attitude of Las Vegas)
-major antagonist presents itself making their goals and methods known (The Legion)

Like, there has been an awful fucking lot of dialogue and it hasnt communicated shit. I dont give a shit about the cannery or the rebel camp because neither had entertaining characters. I dont even give a shit about Parvati because she's just this generic helper girl redneck without any real personality quirks, like Veronica from New Vegas with her Brotherhood background stripped out. The vicar is a welcome step in the right direction and his perspective would have been much appreciated in edgewater, but he just waited till i left the planet.

There was a fucking quest where a woman disappears from camp, and when you investigate you find she backstabbed her camp by running off to join a gang of raiders. What are your options to deal with the situation? Can you intimidate her into changing her mind, can you barter with her to come to an agreement with the camp to provide a more exciting job, can you bring up the friend that was concerned she was missing? Nope, you have two options. "PERSUADE 15 - The camp really cares about you." And shoot her in the head and loot her. I really feel like I'm playing a role when I cant do fucking anything.

Speaking of role playing, look at the horrid list of perks in this. It's all stat increases, crit chance increases, carry weight. There's no fucking flavor. To endlessly return to the New Vegas comparison well, there's no cowboy. No mysterious stranger. No animal befriender, radiation explosions, no sneering imperialist. There's nothing to make your character actually unique or promote unique playstyles. You just go for big damage.

This game just seems like you turn your brain and wander the wastes and shoot shit, which is fine for a lot of people, but god damn does this suck at being an RPG. I've been making decision after decision for hours now and I'm starting to get pissed off because I realize I've only enjoyed recruiting the Vicar. Edgewater needed a board representative that punched you in the dick or something so you had a short term goal or reason to want to stick it to them. I'm sure they were behind the colonists remaining adrift, but thats too nebulous a grudge when i dont even really know why the colonists matter yet. I hate how much I'm apathetic to the universe of a game that is, from a pure shooting/mechanics perspective, pretty good.

Edit: Though I am coming off a disco elysium high, the best comparison i can think of as a sequel to new Vegas that I've played remains pillars of eternity 2, unsurprisingly helmed by new vegas director Josh Sawyer. It nailed establishing the stakes, the factions, the party members and their ideaologies quickly and efficiently. This lets the player get to the fun shit (faction interplay and character drama) with a clear perspective. I'm glad I at least got to play that before Obsidian started making Bethesda games.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 07:49:35 AM by Coffee Dog »

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #154 on: November 02, 2019, 09:30:06 AM »
The companions are growing on me now that I've heard a lot of their barks and finished a lot of their personal quests (I'm still waiting for Ellie & Max's to trigger the start. Guessing both don't until Bzyantium?).
Ellie's doesn't start until then, I think.

Max should be well under way, though. Has he asked you to find a book for him? Once you have, the next stop is in Monarch (the Sublight town), the last is on the asteroid. Make a hard save before you do the last stage, in case there is more than one way to end it. I didn't like the way it played out for me.

I'm glad I at least got to play that before Obsidian started making Bethesda games.
Don't despair. This was helmed by Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky. I don't think they've got another game in them and I think Cain has wanted to make a more accessible RPG for a while.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 09:39:25 AM by Rufus »

kingv

« Reply #155 on: November 02, 2019, 10:45:21 AM »
Was pillars 2 really that good? I thought the first one was just “fine” so never played 2.

Bebpo

« Reply #156 on: November 02, 2019, 01:27:25 PM »
The companions are growing on me now that I've heard a lot of their barks and finished a lot of their personal quests (I'm still waiting for Ellie & Max's to trigger the start. Guessing both don't until Bzyantium?).
Ellie's doesn't start until then, I think.

Max should be well under way, though. Has he asked you to find a book for him? Once you have, the next stop is in Monarch (the Sublight town), the last is on the asteroid. Make a hard save before you do the last stage, in case there is more than one way to end it. I didn't like the way it played out for me.

Whoops meant Sam, getting my three letter companions mixed up. Yeah finished Vicar’s quest. I thought it was alright. I like the concept of an older guy searching for meaning in life. He’s written in a way that he could be based on an Obsidian employee in how grounded he is. But yeah you’re never going to get a satisfying conclusion to a quest like that.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #157 on: November 02, 2019, 01:43:57 PM »
Yeah, but reaching his goal in particular instantly made him boring. He and Nyoka were the only characters I liked.

SAM doesn't have a quest beyond the one to get him operational.

Bebpo

« Reply #158 on: November 02, 2019, 02:38:26 PM »
SAM doesn't have a quest beyond the one to get him operational.

Wow, that’s some bullshit.

Take the one fun & goofy HK-47ish character and don’t give him any story besides funny barks  :'(

Coffee Dog

« Reply #159 on: November 02, 2019, 03:03:19 PM »
Was pillars 2 really that good? I thought the first one was just “fine” so never played 2.

I thought it slam dunked the original in terms of location and setting, and I thought the setup for the story was a lot more interesting than the first game. It's not without it's flaws, the game makes the looming threat of the antagonist seem a lot more pressing than it really is (my playthrough took several in game months) and if you are attempting to urgently resolve the situation it doesn't stop you from barrelling down the critical path so it can end very quickly, and the end itself is rushed with a couple of, let's say *bold* decisions from the writing staff. The """companion quests""" are extremely minor to the point that I would only say a couple party members have real ones and for most part party member melodrama occurs between each other and through reactions to in game events, rather than big bioware character missions.

The rest of the game was great though. Believable and detailed faction lore, reputation systems for both factions and party members (and also between party members), fun combat, island after island of pirate themed dungeoneering and assloads of entertaining skill checks. I did enjoy the setting for the first game however, with all of the angry hicks and meddling deities, so I definitely couldnt recommend it to someone who hated the first one. But if you think the first game is alright, I do think the sequel is an improved experience.

Bebpo

« Reply #160 on: November 02, 2019, 05:19:40 PM »

It's more mainstreamed, fast paced and exciting.

but the characters & story are a little dumbed down (and rushed) mainstream vs in-depth fantasy lore morally grey from the first one. If you loved characters like Durance & Hiravias, you won't find anything like that in II. But if you want more stuff like buddy guy Eder, you'll enjoy the cast.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #161 on: November 02, 2019, 06:01:15 PM »
I finished it with a pretty good ending. The game seemed to think Ellie was dead but otherwise the ending was good.

The game was pretty fun, it feels like there is definitely more coming. I had a good time playing it and I'm normally the type to quit a Fallout game due to annoyance with bugs or just getting bored so this was fun for someone who isn't a hardcore fan. I think I could do another playthrough at some point but I didn't feel the need to jump right back in to it.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 06:11:54 PM by nachobro »

Bebpo

« Reply #162 on: November 02, 2019, 06:38:40 PM »
One other thing I'll give them is that the music/soundtrack is really nice stuff. Doesn't necessarily fit the game and is kinda too good for the game, but it's a nice score.

Bebpo

« Reply #163 on: November 02, 2019, 11:36:53 PM »
Was doing the main quest on Byazantium and ended up at the final mission real quick, so gonna go back and do all the sidequests there (except maybe the gear one because I'm too lazy to get the armor sets) before going back and finishing it.

Bebpo

« Reply #164 on: November 03, 2019, 03:11:01 AM »
Ok, finished the game pretty much 100% and explored everywhere in about 23 hours total. Changed the combat from easy to hard and eventually back to easy just because it's boring combat and all the status effects stuff is super annoying in the end area. 

I liked that

My focus on 100 hacking & lockpick let me beat the final boss without fighting it.

There was also a nice bit on one of the areas where having SAM along let him initiate a dialogue with aggressive mechs and ask them when the last time they were cleaned was and then they changed to cleaning protocol and all became non-hostile.
[close]

The little bits of party interaction throughout were always nice touches.

The ending was good. I enjoyed the cliffhanger ending and the ending slides made it feel more like an adventure in retrospect. I definitely felt the back half was much stronger than the front half of the game with more interesting quests and characters. Edgewater factions were so boring. Groundbreaker is solid, Monarch is boring to explore at first but good after you can just fast travel quickly between areas and you're questing for people and endgame is solid.

At the end of the day I'd say it's about as good as Fallout 1 and a solid 8/10. It could be A LOT better both in writing, world design and gameplay, but over time the quality of the writing barks between companions, the world and ADA really shine and the good quests stick out as quality rpg design. There's good stuff here.

But will I be back for the DLC explansions?  Especially since 1/3rd of the space map is unavailable currently which is super lame and totally going to be the expansions. Maybe not. I don't know if it's compelling enough to want to jump back in, especially since there's nothing they can do with the combat at endgame where I'm at to make it enjoyable, so any DLC would just be running through FPS style with my shock assault rifle and playing for the story and questing.

Will I be back for Outer Worlds II if they make it? Yeah, since the ground work is there and it feels about on par with Fallout 1 give or take, the potential for Outer Worlds II to be more like a Fallout II is enough that I'd come back for a sequel.

Was worth playing and engaging enough to finish it in a week or so. But boy is the game boring for a long while. By the end everything plays on the locations, world lore and characters that have been built up and so it's pretty satisfying in the questing, but the first half was really rough.

Also re: companion quests

I didn't like that for Ellie they didn't give any branching at all for the outcome of her questline where you changes the beneficiary to be herself from the life insurance funds. I wanted an option to tell her to grow the fuck up and move on and basically just say no to her stupid scheme but no option besides just not doing her quest.
[close]

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #165 on: November 06, 2019, 10:52:28 AM »
https://twitter.com/HardDriveMag/status/1192101834665713665

"I give The Outer Worlds for my 2009 Dell laptop a 1.8 out of 10."

:lol
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 10:59:04 AM by bork »
ど助平

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #166 on: November 06, 2019, 11:04:20 AM »
Finished up all the side-quests on Monarch, bout to clean up some faction and companion quests then head to Byzantium. It's a fun game, although all the dancing on Bethesda's grave seems a little premature.
©@©™

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #167 on: November 06, 2019, 11:52:26 AM »
Finished up all the side-quests on Monarch, bout to clean up some faction and companion quests then head to Byzantium. It's a fun game, although all the dancing on Bethesda's grave seems a little premature.

Bethesda has already dug their own grave

They have been garbage for such a long time

What

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #168 on: November 06, 2019, 12:10:06 PM »
I don't need a history lesson, I've been playing broken Bethesda RPGs since Daggerfall. Fallout 76 was butt, but until they release Starfield or a mainline Fallout or Elder Scoll game that doesn't hook me for 60-80 hours, I don't believe the antihype.
©@©™

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #169 on: November 06, 2019, 12:11:31 PM »
I don't need a history lesson, I've been playing broken Bethesda RPGs since Daggerfall. Fallout 76 was butt, but until they release Starfield or a mainline Fallout or Elder Scoll game that doesn't hook me for 60-80 hours, I don't believe the antihype.

Well in my opinion, Fallout 4 was the worst Fallout they have ever made. The worst RPG even. Id be hesistant to even call it an RPG.

The fact that they have confirmed they are using the same engine for Starfield and TES6 as the one they were using for Fallout 4 gives me 0 hope.

And yeah, the constant lying has made me lose any and all respect I once had for this shit company.
What

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #170 on: November 06, 2019, 02:17:44 PM »

Well in my opinion, Fallout 4 was the worst Fallout they have ever made. The worst RPG even. Id be hesistant to even call it an RPG.

The fact that they have confirmed they are using the same engine for Starfield and TES6 as the one they were using for Fallout 4 gives me 0 hope.

And yeah, the constant lying has made me lose any and all respect I once had for this shit company.

Jim Sterling, is that you???

...you're not wrong
[close]
yar

Bebpo

« Reply #171 on: November 06, 2019, 02:20:24 PM »
As someone who thinks Bethesda sucks, I get it. Fans of Bethesda games have such a low bar for quality at this point that Outer Worlds, an ok/good game, seems mindblowingly amazing to them.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #172 on: November 06, 2019, 02:36:06 PM »
I liked Outer Worlds a bit less than Fallout 4. :trumps
dog

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #173 on: November 06, 2019, 03:00:16 PM »
It's definitely not the same kind of game. There is not a lot of interesting stuff to discover in the open world in The Outer Worlds I've found. It's definitely more a Mass Effect 1 type situation where you just travel from place to place in a ship and do a couple of interestingly missions.

But as far as I've played in TOW ( which isn't much, got to Monarch and did a bunch of missions there before my PC went tits up ) it didn't grab me as much as Fallout 4 even did. That's to say in the open world discovery aspect, which is mostly why I love Bethesda games.

The writing in Fallout 4 was just abysmal though. Another example

33 sec clip but it shows how terrible the writing is instantly. I mean what the fuck?

Also making your character have a preset story, with a fucking baby and you can't even kill the robot fuck when you discover it? That was some bullshit. I hated that robot "son" and just wanted to kill him when I met him, but couldn't because story reasons? Fuck roleplaying amirite Bethesda?
What

Bebpo

« Reply #174 on: November 06, 2019, 03:09:09 PM »
Yeah, I'll give that Bethesda (and a lot of previous Obsidian games) have good exploration where you run across cool stuff and quests and people.

In Outer Worlds the exploration is like you said, pretty non-existent. Everytime you find a building out in the wild there's usually nothing to do there until you meet a quest giver in town who tells you to go there to do a thing. All the quests and NPCs are at the towns.

Outer Worlds is mostly about questing, dialogue and towns and shooting some stuff. Exploration and Loot, not so much. It's definitely a halfway between Mass Effect 1 and Fallout NV/3/4.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #175 on: November 06, 2019, 03:34:49 PM »

Did you like Fallout 3 more than New Vegas?

(I have no real dog in this fight and haven't played OW yet, genuinely curious is all)
yar

Freyj

« Reply #176 on: November 06, 2019, 05:18:40 PM »
I love New Vegas and prefer the very flawed Fallout 4 to TOW.

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #177 on: November 06, 2019, 05:28:12 PM »
I don't know if I'll ever trust anyone's taste after reading thru the last page. I've tried to play Fallout 4 half a dozen times, and the role playing and writing is so bad I quit after an hour and a half.

I beat Final Fantasy XIII, I could stomach that shit, but Fallout 4 is units own leauge for being a fucking role playing turd.

If you're into looter shooters with building settlements and farming, Fallout 4 is great.

If you're into role playing a character with some depth with illusion of choice and who and what you can be, Fallout 4 is basically GTA or RAGE with a dialog system stapled on top.

The Outer Worlds is iterative and isn't going to go down as an all time great, but it's a fucking role playing game at least. And for all the shit Obsidian gets about bugs, they shot that meme right in the head.

I'm half expecting Elder Scrolls 6 to be a farming/township building sim with a family melodrama storyline about bloodlines stapled on top. 
OH!

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #178 on: November 06, 2019, 06:18:59 PM »

Did you like Fallout 3 more than New Vegas?

(I have no real dog in this fight and haven't played OW yet, genuinely curious is all)

Nah, I'd give the edge there to New Vegas because of writing, better variety of locales, and not having to go through a maze of underground tunnels to get anywhere in Metro DC.
dog

Freyj

« Reply #179 on: November 06, 2019, 07:24:06 PM »
Quite literally none of the RPG elements in TOW matter, completely without substance. There are two, maybe three choices to the four or so decision points in the game and they’re even less interesting or consequential than the worst BioWare games.

In the case of Monarch you pick a side and it determines what hostile NPCs the final quest puts in front of you and what your starting point is in a gauntlet that you’re best served completely ignoring and running to the end of to shoot the opposite side’s major quest NPC. It’s arguably worse than the Civil War quests in Skyrim and that’s a mildly unbelievable accomplishment.

It’s a fine jumping off point for better games but I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a game garner such praise that contained so little substance.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 07:29:11 PM by Freyj »