Author Topic: The Outer Worlds  (Read 15480 times)

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
Re: The Outer Worlds
« Reply #180 on: November 07, 2019, 06:01:45 AM »
Accidentally fired a companion ability on Groundbreaker tonight and fucked everything up. They should really be limited to targets you've already engaged.
itm

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #181 on: November 07, 2019, 08:42:04 AM »
I know it's cool to hate on Fallout 4, but I loved it. Ended up putting about 150 hours into it. Outer Worlds definitely isn't a bad game by any means, but it just doesn't feel like it has the Obsidian magic.
dog

kingv

« Reply #182 on: November 07, 2019, 06:49:09 PM »
I think I’m fallout 4 I was just like “let’s throw some turrets down in town square and call it good”

I don’t get the drive to create this big ass settlement in a single player game.

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #183 on: November 11, 2019, 05:58:14 AM »
About 12 hours in now and I feel like I've seen everything. I just want to dialog my way through everything now but I know I have to fight shit on Monarch. Still a very good game but it's pretty front loaded gameplay wise.
itm

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #184 on: November 17, 2019, 07:24:47 PM »
Got about 5 hours deep into this over the weekend.

- The world building is great but the characters don't seem that interesting at all. The Vicar is the only dude I'm curious about so will talk to him a lot :p
- The game kicked my ass on Hard Mode initially, but once I found a sniper rifle and some good armor (and figured out how to use the buff items in the inhaler) the game is a cakewalk. I gave Pavarti a perk so she just draws all the aggro and runs in and dies while I blow everyones heads off in slo-mo. Pretty fun.
- The "Spacer's Choice" BS is un-aesthetic AF. Hate the lame ass slogans and jingles. I get what they're going for, suckin that lowest common denominator dicc (eg. Bioshock/Fallout stans). Hopefully the other factions don't suck as much.
- Some of the artwork is killer, especially this Art Nouveau stuff:

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #185 on: November 18, 2019, 07:01:31 PM »
Game is a lot cooler once you get into space.

Serious Mass Effect 1 vibes which is AWESOME, finally the game is derivative, in a good way!!!

Boredfrom

« Reply #186 on: November 21, 2019, 10:36:19 PM »
I like this game way better than Fallout 4 and:

a) I don’t hate Fallout 4

b) I think New Vegas is overhyped

Maybe because I set my expectations that this was going to be a budget title, but I’m really impressed in how good this game is.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #187 on: December 23, 2019, 05:35:25 PM »
I honestly cant bring myself to play this anymore. I've tried my best to try and like it, but I often cant play for more than 10 minutes before my eyelids start getting heavy and I start getting a headache. Its just so fucking boring. The writing is good but I can't give a shit about the world and the lore. The quests are boring, the combat is really boring. None of the gameplay systems are interesting or fun. Maybe my tastes have matured and I'm getting too picky with games due to the fact theres more games coming out than ever and I just don't have time to wade through shit like this. I think I just don't like ARPGS. The RPG shit (ie. stats) don't matter enough and the action is never as good as a pure action title. I don't know. Maybe I just don't like this game.

RyoonZ

« Reply #188 on: December 28, 2019, 03:44:44 PM »
Platinumed this few weeks ago. I like the art and characters design, look much better than Mass Effect Andromeda to me. Characters are cool and good humor, I laughed a lot. Gunplay sucks, thankfully you can skip most fight by putting in charisma stats. No romance sucks. Don't really care about the world to have sequel.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #189 on: May 19, 2020, 09:55:39 PM »
Finally got around to finishing this. I like it for an original ip but it needs a lot of work in the inevitable sequel. Kind of like how Assassin's Creed, the first game, was more a proof of concept rather than a good game. I think Outer Worlds is more a good proof of concept that a good game is lurking here for a franchise.

I like the art style. It's not gorgeous but it has a nice retro-future style. The writing is cool and fun. There are some nice quests mixed in with some of the usual fetch quest style stuff. The problem is that it doesn't have a good flow pacing wise to it. It often feels disjointed like when it rushes to introduce your crew who you barely know but are suddenly asking you do to companion quests for or acting like we're best buds. Game needs a bigger budget, and a lot of play testing, and a larger scale and scope to it. It has elements that remind you of the good parts of Mass Effect, and Fallout. But the thing is its not as compelling as those two franchises. Every fallout game and every mass effect game is better and more compelling than this initial take on The Outer Worlds. (Even Andromeda and Fallout 4 which most people like to shit on, but I liked both)

I could nit-pick a lot of stuff but generally speaking the game just needs to be more ambitious both in a mechanics sense and gameplay wise. I need to be enjoying myself a lot more the next time I play this franchise rather than just kind of grinding towards the inevitable end of the game which kind of happened to me here. Too much of the time I felt like I was propelling myself to just finish the game instead of having some fun in world game mechanic propelling me or a varied compelling gameplay experience pushing me forward.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #190 on: May 20, 2020, 07:03:13 AM »
Great review, echoes my sentiments much better than I could articulate. Best I could come up with was: ticks all the boxes of aforementioned great franchises - but isnt as good. Couldnt really say why.