Author Topic: The Outer Worlds  (Read 15614 times)

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
Re: The Outer Worlds
« Reply #60 on: October 24, 2019, 03:20:22 PM »
The Spyro remake is great. How dare you insult my purple boy. :maf

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: October 24, 2019, 03:28:18 PM »
I feel no remorse over anything produced for dead consoles. :hmph

u play shitty dos games and remakes of spyro on your pc. keep talkin fatboy

You play garbage for cheevo's bro

don't start this

What

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #62 on: October 24, 2019, 05:06:47 PM »
Guess I'm in the right thread
fat

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2019, 10:02:33 PM »
I think someone said 30-40 hrs

Seems like it’s 15-20 hours just for the main story and 30 if you go for everything. Perfect for me.

15-20 seems like a very low estimate. I'm 2 hours in and barely getting started.
dog

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #64 on: October 24, 2019, 10:33:55 PM »
I'm slow as fuck when it comes to games so this will probably easily take me 50 to 60 hours.

I like the game. Maybe not as much as the reviews make it out to be but that's par for the course for me when it comes to obsidian games like I mentioned earlier. The combat is fun. Even the melee stuff which is generally awful in Fallout games. The writing is quirky and unique just as you would expect from Obsidian. It's a solid mini-take on Fallout. Kind of like Fallout meets Mass Effect meets Kingdoms of Amalur. ( I don't like it as much as Fallout or Mass Effect but I like it way more than Amalur which was trying to do this same thing to the Elder Scrolls games but felt kinda souless) It will be interesting to see the series improve now that they will have MS dollars behind them. I have a feeling the next one could be really special. I'll post my full thoughts after beating it.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #65 on: October 24, 2019, 11:28:23 PM »
Real hard to make a non hideous character in this. Otherwise it's real good looking and runs well. Pretty funny too of course

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: October 24, 2019, 11:49:22 PM »
This is the real Fallout 4. :rejoice
dog

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #67 on: October 24, 2019, 11:52:25 PM »
Really strong score off rip but the dialog so far has been really charming as well.

kingv

« Reply #68 on: October 25, 2019, 01:52:37 AM »
Hard crash to the home screen right after creating my character was not exactly
What I was hoping for...

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #69 on: October 25, 2019, 02:51:13 AM »
Real hard to make a non hideous character in this. Otherwise it's real good looking and runs well. Pretty funny too of course

sounds pretty authentic then :p

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: October 25, 2019, 02:59:19 AM »
man this game looks so good on very high

but cant turn off chromatic abberation :/
What

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #71 on: October 25, 2019, 06:36:37 AM »
This is very good. Not New Vegas good but still excellent. Had to set my FPS cap to 60 to stop crashing on PC though.

Is there any way for the VATS knock off to pause like it did in Fallout or is it slow down only?
itm

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #72 on: October 25, 2019, 06:53:35 AM »
probably would've enjoyed this if i hadn't just played disco elysium but my already low tolerance for the kind of whedon-esque sass that people who make videogames think is cool is non-existant right now.

it's far from the worst offender but i couldn't even stomach the quick look.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #73 on: October 25, 2019, 08:38:36 AM »
man this game looks so good on very high

but cant turn off chromatic abberation :/
yeah i found that annoying too, gonna dig around in settings files and see if I can figure it out.

playing this a bit more mayhem-y than i normally do in these. leveling up all the dialogue/tech options and just offing a bunch of npc's to see what happens

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #74 on: October 25, 2019, 08:56:03 AM »
Kinda but no single massive open world and not buggy as all hell (so far)

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #75 on: October 25, 2019, 09:21:31 AM »
Fallout is 1950s suburban hell, Outer Worlds is 1920s corporate dystopia.
dog

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #76 on: October 25, 2019, 10:15:46 AM »
Is this sci-fi Fallout 3D?

Pls confirm.

Yes and really good
What

thetylerrob

« Reply #77 on: October 25, 2019, 10:46:05 AM »
probably would've enjoyed this if i hadn't just played disco elysium but my already low tolerance for the kind of whedon-esque sass that people who make videogames think is cool is non-existant right now.

Same boat tbh. I'll still check this out later in the year but I kinda wish I had played this before DE.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #78 on: October 25, 2019, 10:46:53 AM »
@MMaRsu: Guy on reddit posted some tweaks to clean up DOF and remove chromatic abberation

https://www.reddit.com/r/theouterworlds/comments/dmubij/graphics_tweaks_draw_distance_dof_chromatic/

looks much better (not my shot)

Coffee Dog

« Reply #79 on: October 25, 2019, 11:07:03 AM »
Something about the visual effects, the crosshair being offcenter, and the FOV made me physically ill when I never get motion sick from games. I'll try to play more this afternoon after I tweak the settings through the ini.

I cant fuck with the crosshair without removing it though.  :'(

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #80 on: October 25, 2019, 11:11:14 AM »
I’m role playing in my head and it’s stressful trying to pick decisions that make sense for my fake character  :'(

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #81 on: October 25, 2019, 11:27:31 AM »
@MMaRsu: Guy on reddit posted some tweaks to clean up DOF and remove chromatic abberation

https://www.reddit.com/r/theouterworlds/comments/dmubij/graphics_tweaks_draw_distance_dof_chromatic/

looks much better (not my shot)

(Image removed from quote.)

Thx man def gonna use it because CO is a horrible effect imo..

Just got home and cant wait to play the f outta this this weekend :D
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #82 on: October 25, 2019, 11:59:19 AM »
Correct FO4 just slows down the action as well
What

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #83 on: October 25, 2019, 12:59:38 PM »
Noice hit download on this via gamepass, the best pass

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #84 on: October 25, 2019, 04:16:49 PM »
What

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #85 on: October 25, 2019, 04:33:28 PM »
I think someone said 30-40 hrs

Seems like it’s 15-20 hours just for the main story and 30 if you go for everything. Perfect for me.

15-20 seems like a very low estimate. I'm 2 hours in and barely getting started.

Seems there’s a lot of replay value too since there’s a lot of ways to spec your character. Definitely have to do a low intelligence run eventually.

I’m probably going to replay the first hour a bunch of times just to figure out how I want to play.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #86 on: October 25, 2019, 05:36:52 PM »
Started this thanks to the 1€ Gamepass thing.
Game seems pretty nice, i like the character models actually, don't know WTF people were on about all being ugly.

Only two issues i have so far (like not even 2 hours in):
1) Writing seems a bit on the simplistic side, it works for parody/comedy, but when they try to make a more serious point, it falls flat if everyone is painted as a cartoon.
2) My camera/right analog stick drifts to the left, fairly often, for no reason, i dunno if it's a common bug, but a quick Google gave me no result, and it wouldn't register mouse movement (but it does take the click input).

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #87 on: October 25, 2019, 05:54:51 PM »
Game is charming as fuck. Reminding me why I played through Alpha Protocol a shit-ton of times. Also the gunplay feels more solid and cohesive than Fallout 4.

Definitely doing an all melee asshole run at some point.
:9

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #88 on: October 25, 2019, 08:50:08 PM »

Funny he mentions it but Firefly/Serenity was the thing that kept popping up in my mind the first hour or so of the game. The score in particular feels like a more whimsical/fantasy version of firefly's. That theme.

:whew

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #89 on: October 25, 2019, 10:15:33 PM »

Man this post kinda has me reticent to boot up the game now :(

Fandom nerds are the worst kind of nerds.

I have this installed but I think I'll beat Bloodtstained and Tembo first - hate having too many games on the hop

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #90 on: October 26, 2019, 12:23:16 AM »
The game is fun, but the writing is kinda mediocre so far, could be that i don't like the sassy style too much, but i liked Witcher 3's better for example.
That said, i don't play many RPGs, so i'm not sure where it stands on that front.

It's still more than adequate to keep the game interesting though.

Also, the drifting camera bug i mentioned before, it's actually either an issue with the xbox app, or (more likely) my Logitech MX being a cunt, as i tried Metro on the gamepass, and has the same issue, but none of my Steam games do.

Bebpo

« Reply #91 on: October 26, 2019, 01:54:51 AM »
Played a little into the first (only?) town. The writing definitely feels a little off for Obsidian. It's fine but feels a little too try hard farcical and not naturally charming like Obsidian good writing tends to be. At times almost feels like Bethesda dialogue talking to people :|

Game runs a bit janky on my PC at 1440p. Building my new rig on Sunday so hopefully can power through performance with that for a smoother experience. Like it's ok walking around but I got into combat with a couple enemies in the grass and it was like 5fps when the action was going on my 980GTX though it might've been a cpu thing.

Looks nice, but yeah I'm not a huge fan of chromatic abberation in most games (works occasionally in something like Bloodborne). I noticed when I turned screen effects to Ultra it was able to still look sharp while keeping the abberation and it looked good but anything below ultra looked off with the chromatic abberation.

I'm running a dialogue build with no combat or stealth abilities. If this is more of a combat focused game than a dialogue gets you through almost everything game, might need to respec.

kingv

« Reply #92 on: October 26, 2019, 03:42:05 AM »
Maybe I should have went neoliberal 😂

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #93 on: October 26, 2019, 04:01:36 AM »
Guys make sure to follow the guide Nachobro posted to remove Chromatic SHITstain
What

Bebpo

« Reply #94 on: October 26, 2019, 04:19:29 AM »
Yeah, that helped. I played a bit more and idk if I like this that much. Feels a lot like Bethesda Fallout, aka NV but NV had really cool setting of both Fallout universe and Nevada, this feels like some weird Bioshock in space ripoff. Like it's sooooooo Bioshock it kinda bugs me.

Also not feeling the combat. When I'm shooting/stabbing from stealth behind a guy why can't I silent kill him? Because instead I kill him and 6 other guards are instantly alerted and run out and shoot me to death :|

Thinking about respec-ing to a combat build.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #95 on: October 26, 2019, 04:31:05 AM »
What have you put points into? I am also using some more melee but the guns work pretty well. Don't forget about the time slowdown :).

I am playing on hard because everybody kept saying normal gets way too easy.

I don't feel like it has a Bioshock vibe, it's more Mass Effecty to me

just found out u can mod ur weapon with a silencer! for stealthy

Im stealing everything thats not locked down
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 04:45:43 AM by MMaRsu »
What

pilonv1

« Reply #96 on: October 26, 2019, 04:44:08 AM »
Is there any way for the VATS knock off to pause like it did in Fallout or is it slow down only?

VATS also doesn't pause in Fallout 4 I think. 

Yes you're right. Seems to just run faster in Outer Worlds, probably just me getting old
itm

Bebpo

« Reply #97 on: October 26, 2019, 04:44:36 AM »
I've put all my points into talking and lock picking haha
Yeah I haven't messed with the weapon mods, I'll try that.

The thing is that Outer Worlds is making me remember that I didn't like the gameplay of New Vegas, since it was mostly just Bethesda's Fallout gameplay. What made NV good in spite of the gameplay, was the setting and writing and tons of branching in questlines. I don't like the concept of FPS rpg since I don't really like FPS!

If Outer Worlds was isometric on the Pillars II engine with Fallout II combat I would like it like 100x more. For rpgs, I'm so over 3d since all I care about is story/writing/questing and prefer isometric or turn-based gameplay.

I might just play this on whatever the lowest difficulty is so I can braindead breeze through the combat bits. Maybe go with a melee build since I don't mind hitting things in FPS, just not big on shooting things.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #98 on: October 26, 2019, 04:47:21 AM »
You can def talk your way through most quests ive found but the combat shouldnt be too hard.

Convo's and quests seem allright so far, you can kill anyone basically which means you can always get different quest endings too

I have 2 points in dex, 2 in INT, and 2 in Charm, so I have a bit of a rounded character but mostly focussed on talking my way outta most situations.
What

Bebpo

« Reply #99 on: October 26, 2019, 06:28:32 AM »
I grabbed a 2H weapon and put all my points for last couple of levels into melee, dropped the difficulty to story and I just run up and hit things and that's good enough for me  :)

Got off the first world and to the next place and yeah, I see the Mass Effect feel now with the companions and space travel. I wasn't sure if the whole game was just on one planet or maybe Edgewater is the intro and then the rest is on one planet, so it's neat to see it's more like a Mass Effect game with a bunch of places to explore with their own quests and towns. Basically like a full rpg just without the world map connecting the places. I'm still not really sold on the writing in this one (everyone seems a bit bland and I'm not even exhausting all dialogue options like I typically do in crpgs, because a lot of times I just don't really care about these people). I feel like the characters/npcs are almost too realistic? So they're kinda dull vs. being more videogame-y and interesting.

pilonv1

« Reply #100 on: October 26, 2019, 06:53:27 AM »
Am I the only one who never plays with companions? They always seem to ruin things
itm

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #101 on: October 26, 2019, 07:06:41 AM »
Am I the only one who never plays with companions? They always seem to ruin things
In Bethesda games, yes. I appreciate the ones here because they give bonuses to my skills.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #102 on: October 26, 2019, 07:32:09 AM »

Same boat tbh. I'll still check this out later in the year but I kinda wish I had played this before DE.
The Crate & Crowbar just talked about both Outer World and Disco Elysium. The contrast with which they talk about these games is very illuminating. I'm enjoying my time with Outer World so far, but I think I'm going to end up agreeing with Tom Senior's review for PC Gamer in the end (79/100, i.e. 'just' good, not great).

Starts at ~18m:
http://crateandcrowbar.com/2019/10/25/episode-300-frightened-of-the-ur-teen/

Key for me, so far:I don't mind the writing, it reminds me very much of Fallout 1 (which I liked, but didn't adore, F2 is reference galore and more knowingly wacky). There's patently absurd shit in it, but most charcters are very straight about outlandish things, such as the corporations treating your body as property. That works for me, but it doesn't pull me through the game.

Phineas and ADA are the only characters so far who match the comedic tone I expected from hearing Giant Bomb talk about it. (I suspect SAM, the robot I found in my ship's closet, will also fall into the joke-a-minute camp.)

The issue I have is that I don't care about anyone or anything in this world. The sci-fi western thing didn't hook me at all. Maybe the next town will be better.

Gonna get Disco Elysium as soon as I'm done milking my 1€ gamepass investment for all its worth. 8)

kingv

« Reply #103 on: October 26, 2019, 09:13:28 AM »
I like it for the most part, but have been kind of surprised just how much it seems to imitate fallout.

Like even the music sounds kind of like fallout 4. It’s just a weird choice to stick so close to thst.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #104 on: October 26, 2019, 10:17:24 AM »
One more thing: Screen space reflections are a blight. So unstable and therefore distracting. They only look good in screenshots and should only be used in games with fixed camera angles, if that.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #105 on: October 26, 2019, 11:45:14 AM »
One more thing: Screen space reflections are a blight. So unstable and therefore distracting. They only look good in screenshots and should only be used in games with fixed camera angles, if that.
Art direction in general is very spotty.
Character models, and models of plants, animals and weapons are nice, but then the lighting is so bad, that it makes it look like in runs on a 2010 engine.
Especially at night, everything is just self illuminating, with an absurd contrast and saturation, the screen is also filled with shit all over (just look at the sky, you have a planet with its rings, the aurora, another couple of moons, AND the planets you're on own rings, plus the clouds and the sun).
It makes everything looks like a toy, and doesn't have an organic, believable look to it.

It makes it hard to take these spaces seriously, when they give you a fucking headache just because of how messy they are.

Like in the first major quest line, they emphasize how much the botanical garden is a nice place, whereas the town is supposed to be a miserable shit hole, but they both look like shit, more or less.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #106 on: October 26, 2019, 12:03:46 PM »
Yeah, it took me a while to get accustomed to it, but now that I am I like how amped up everything is. Reminds me of pulp sci-fi covers.

The edge highlightning for items is desperately needed, though, but they also made its radius a stat you have get on gear/mods. :/

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #107 on: October 26, 2019, 12:48:18 PM »
Sounds like a decent game, will play in 540p 480p on Switch

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #108 on: October 26, 2019, 02:04:12 PM »
Stayed up playing til 3am last night. :lol It really almost feels like Mass Effect once you get your partners, that selection screen is like the exact same one from ME.

Been killing people left and right as I felt like it. Offed Tobson, offed the old black market lady and most of the space station but did two quests there and they love me again. :lol Bummer of that is I had to take the long way around to get to Horizon which took FOREVER but I gained like three levels killing all the beasts.

Basically went almost all speech and ranged weapons with ranged weapon bonus mods on my armor, got a bit of medical/hacking stuff too just for fun and to get more items to sell. Been using the timeslow a lot and I'm boosting that up with perks and such. Very helpful for getting critical hits and disabling body parts. High speech is making it really easy to be a mayhem causing psycho and have everyone forgive me instantly.

Also I don't know if it's explained anywhere but you can put different consumables in your inhaler and get the bonus from that item along with the heal
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 02:18:48 PM by nachobro »

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #109 on: October 26, 2019, 02:29:02 PM »
Basically went almost all speech and ranged weapons
Same.
But i'm also pumping some in leadership and lockpicking.

It's cool that you can just kill off people, though i'd wish there was some sort of companion affinity thing, correlated with it.
I killed Reed, and Parvati was all like "are you a psycho?!", but then she saw my ship* and was more like "Oh no, nvm, you did what you had to, can i stick with you?".

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #110 on: October 26, 2019, 03:24:59 PM »

Also I don't know if it's explained anywhere but you can put different consumables in your inhaler and get the bonus from that item along with the heal

wat
What

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #111 on: October 26, 2019, 07:49:08 PM »

wat
You need 20 med.

Anyway, still having fun, but i'm less and less intrigued by the story so far, the characters are kinda boring me, companions especially.

kingv

« Reply #112 on: October 26, 2019, 09:56:08 PM »
Basically went almost all speech and ranged weapons
Same.
But i'm also pumping some in leadership and lockpicking.

It's cool that you can just kill off people, though i'd wish there was some sort of companion affinity thing, correlated with it.
I killed Reed, and Parvati was all like "are you a psycho?!", but then she saw my ship* and was more like "Oh no, nvm, you did what you had to, can i stick with you?".

Yeah, I ended up in a situation where I had to wipe out like half the town and same story.... and she helped me do it.

I was like, aren’t these your friends?

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #113 on: October 26, 2019, 09:58:31 PM »
You can talk to companions while riding elevators. Cool game.

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #114 on: October 27, 2019, 02:17:55 AM »
Took me like 14 hours to take off the first planet, and I still feel like I missed a point of interest or two lol.

Great game, but I’m not sure I’ll end up liking it more than New Vegas. Something just feels kinda off so far.

I really appreciate the polish this game has though. Zero issues so far, and no real jankiness either. Kinda miss the shitty rag doll physics and gore from the Bethesda games though, but if that’s what it takes to make it stable then whatever.

Excited to play some more and smash the state :juche
Margs

Bebpo

« Reply #115 on: October 27, 2019, 04:31:56 AM »
Played a bunch more and finished up Groundbreaker. Once got my stats back up and some good weapons switched the difficulty back up. The rifles with scope stuff is pretty fun to snipe from a distance in slow mo.

I like the weapon mods aspect and being able to turn most weapons into elemental weapons. My main complaint in weapon mods is it's really confusing trying to figure out what weapon a mod will attach to. Like I spent some $$$ buying the silencer mod thinking it'd let me stealth and shoot from a distance without alerting all enemies, but the mod only attaches to...shotguns wtf.

The companions are all kinda plain but they're growing on me slowly.

I like that worlds have multiple areas. When I got to Rosewater that was a nice surprise. So you can't go by the planets/locations on the space map as # of locations. I like this Mass Effect approach of all these mini-sandbox worlds.

I feel like I'll probably end up finishing this pretty quick. I don't have a lot of gaming time and leaving on vacation in 2 weeks so figured wouldn't have time for it, but just staying up late playing at nights I feel like I'll finish this in a week or so.

I'd say the biggest negative still is the writing just seems like the most bland Obsidian game to date (though I never played Dungeon Seige III). Their stuff is usually really interesting in characters and quests and this feels closer to what I'd expect from Bethesda writing. I wonder if this is just a product of not having JE Sawyer or Chris Avellone working on it at all. I feel like so far it's not even as exciting as Bioware writing/characters (though to be fair last Bioware game I played was Mass Effect 2 and I know they've gone really downhill since then [though Outer Worlds is making me want to play Mass Effect 3 for a similar formula but hopefully more exciting characters/story/combat]).

Bebpo

« Reply #116 on: October 27, 2019, 04:35:06 AM »
Also, it feels like the dialogue checks are really really easy (or it's just really really quick/easy to get most of your stats to 50 early on) to the point where it feels like playing with godmode dialogue on vs. unique to your character you built. I'm guessing the backhalf with increasing stat checks and having to increase stats individually after 50 will be tougher dialogue checks and more tailored to your character build's strengths.

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #117 on: October 27, 2019, 01:57:21 PM »
Played this for 6-8 hours yesterday. Reminds me more of a deus ex game than new vegas.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #118 on: October 27, 2019, 02:27:31 PM »
Funny enough, I'm also currently playing Mankind Divided so I can see some of that but it's still more reminiscent to me of Fallout in space.

Bebpo

« Reply #119 on: October 27, 2019, 03:21:35 PM »
Feels like Fallout gameplay/questing with Mass Effect story/planet-hopping/companion structure with Bioshock's vending machines, company logos and holograms silly futuristic 50s art direction.

And everyone inhabiting the world is miserable or bored and depressed like an Elder Scrolls game. Only exception so far seems to be the mad scientist guy that wakes you up in the intro.