Author Topic: Half Life 3 is here bois  (Read 18228 times)

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
Re: Half Life 3 is here bois
« Reply #120 on: November 24, 2019, 02:21:34 AM »
72hz. I don’t think you’d notice an issue unless you’ve spent a lot of time on better headsets. It’s not painful of distracting or anything. I think Quest also has a different color space (or something) than Rift/Rift S but I dunno if it’s better or worse or just different.
serge

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #121 on: November 24, 2019, 07:00:45 AM »
I have an i7 7700k and a gtx1060. Will upgrade if half life plays like shit.

are you looking to push 90 frames at native index rez?

start saving for that 1080ti.
◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #122 on: November 24, 2019, 07:07:55 AM »
re: quest. I'm assuming waiting for the official 5m fibre optic link USB c cable will be worth it
◕‿◕

TVC15

« Reply #123 on: November 24, 2019, 07:39:48 AM »
re: quest. I'm assuming waiting for the official 5m fibre optic link USB c cable will be worth it

I haven’t been able to find cables that will work right now that are longer than 6 feet or so, and you really do need more
serge

naff

« Reply #124 on: November 24, 2019, 04:44:01 PM »
that's what Carmack said about the cable. they couldn't find an off the shelf product that worked at the length they feel is necessary so they made their own Link cable using fibre optics to get stable throughput. fibre optics aren't er, all that flexible. it'll be a copper cable incorporating some sort of fibre weave i assume. shit is going to be pricey. e: apparently it will be $79
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 04:49:19 PM by naff »
◕‿◕

BikeJesus

« Reply #125 on: November 24, 2019, 06:57:57 PM »
I have an i7 7700k and a gtx1060. Will upgrade if half life plays like shit.

are you looking to push 90 frames at native index rez?

start saving for that 1080ti.

I just want to play it. That said, once the index shows up this week or next, I'll be trying a bunch of games, and if it isn't performing well, I'll look at upgrading before March 2020. I have the money, and not much of a life, so no big deal.

Also, told my gf about my purchase. She actually got excited and wants to try it. We are going to plan our bike trip overseas using Google Earth vr. I told her it cost more than I should have spent. She said 'oh, like 3 grand?' And I said, no, less than half that. She didn't care.  Said it's my money and to do what I want with it.

Saw I had a vr game to redeem from humble. 'Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes'. Looks fun. One person is in vr trying to defuse a bomb, and the other players are reading from a manual talking the defuser through the process based on what they see and describe. Sounds fun!

naff

« Reply #126 on: November 24, 2019, 07:19:45 PM »
that's really good yeah! i play it with colleagues sometimes. rented 5 quests at work when it first came out and brought mine along for the week too, that was one of the games we had. a few teams here play it fairly regularly now. great communication exercise (the pc, non-vr version is almost as good, but the VR def makes it a bit more nerve wracking for the defuser).

i'd be surprised if you get more than 30fps with a 1060 in most VR games at the index resolution, and the more expensive features like supersampling become a lot more important in VR too.
◕‿◕

« Reply #127 on: November 24, 2019, 08:25:29 PM »
I think ill get an index but ill wait till next fall/winter probably though. I need the new pc first. I hope nvidias 3000 series is decent. I have a feeling it'll be another $600-1000 buy in for the good cards though. Getting my 970 gtx back in the days for like $325 seems like a steal nowadays. I actually got like a $70 rebate from amazon after that the last 512 megs of vram memory was crippled story came out.

BikeJesus

« Reply #128 on: November 29, 2019, 02:13:48 PM »
We'll it sold out, so I'm glad I pulled the trigger when I did. Shipped this morning, should get it next week! Bought Superhot VR and Trovor Saves the Universe.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #129 on: December 19, 2019, 12:41:37 PM »

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #130 on: January 06, 2020, 05:52:46 PM »

Coffee Dog

« Reply #131 on: March 02, 2020, 02:39:22 PM »
About ten minutes of gameplay:

Well, it certainly looks like a Half Life game in VR.

Personally I'm not really into this. A lot of the added "benefit" of VR here is removing the shorthand we have in games, and I feel that shorthand has a whole host of added benefits beyond it simply functioning as a replacement for using my whole arm to open the door. If you give me the option of hitting E to open a door, and using my whole arm, I'd rather hit E because the investment in the action is lighter and that opening doors isn't the point of the game. It' a quick, instant response that gets me back into the decisions that matter (ie the shooting).  Same thing with individually prying off panels of wood; Gordon has a crowbar for this that makes work this in about two seconds. It's a game that unsolves a bunch of solved FPS problems so that you can solve them less efficiently in VR. I get why it exists, people want to throw around packing peanuts, it just seems at odds with itself. I was already throwing around physics objects and fucking around with the gravity gun 15 years ago, it seems to make about as much difference on the quality of the game now as it did back then (not much)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 02:54:42 PM by Coffee Dog »

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #132 on: March 02, 2020, 06:54:33 PM »
when the player switches the controls over to continuous hand :whew

El Babua

« Reply #133 on: March 03, 2020, 12:27:10 AM »
In a grand reversal of 16 years earlier, I'm more hyped for the Doom game coming out than the Half-Life game.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #134 on: March 03, 2020, 09:36:32 AM »
I'm hyped for this, but i don't want to watch anything, since it's probably gonna be short enough already.

wsippel

« Reply #135 on: March 03, 2020, 09:59:33 AM »
Well, it certainly looks like a Half Life game in VR.

Personally I'm not really into this. A lot of the added "benefit" of VR here is removing the shorthand we have in games, and I feel that shorthand has a whole host of added benefits beyond it simply functioning as a replacement for using my whole arm to open the door. If you give me the option of hitting E to open a door, and using my whole arm, I'd rather hit E because the investment in the action is lighter and that opening doors isn't the point of the game. It' a quick, instant response that gets me back into the decisions that matter (ie the shooting).  Same thing with individually prying off panels of wood; Gordon has a crowbar for this that makes work this in about two seconds. It's a game that unsolves a bunch of solved FPS problems so that you can solve them less efficiently in VR. I get why it exists, people want to throw around packing peanuts, it just seems at odds with itself. I was already throwing around physics objects and fucking around with the gravity gun 15 years ago, it seems to make about as much difference on the quality of the game now as it did back then (not much)

Do you have any experience playing VR games? Because the interactivity makes a huge difference. You're not just opening a door, you have options. You can open it halfway or all the way, slam it open or do it slowly and quietly, open it halfway with one hand and reach around with your other hand to drop a grenade, then quickly close it - it makes you think and see opportunities in things that would be "just a door" in regular games.

I'm hyped for this, but i don't want to watch anything, since it's probably gonna be short enough already.

Everything shown so far is from the first two levels. They also take their sweet time showcasing various interactions, so there's very little actual progress in the videos. I don't think the videos spoil much.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 10:11:14 AM by wsippel »

kingv

« Reply #136 on: March 03, 2020, 02:40:04 PM »
I’m sure it feels a lot cooler playing it (like all VR games) but that video didn’t do much for me.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #137 on: March 03, 2020, 03:21:20 PM »
The game isn't super short.
I'm expecting it to be about 8-9 hours, i guess that isn't super short, just short for a regular game.

bluemax

« Reply #138 on: March 04, 2020, 12:24:41 AM »
It's kind of mind blowing that the two most expensive VR games coming out this year are floaty hands games and one of them has fucking teleporting as its main traversal mechanism. There are like 2 person Indie teams out of Eastern Europe putting in more effort to add IK to their games.
NO

bluemax

« Reply #139 on: March 04, 2020, 12:34:14 AM »
Not sure if you mean Alyx but it supports smooth locomotion if you choose.

I do. Didn't realize that in the video they don't switch over until like 6 minutes in. So slightly less disappointed.
NO

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #140 on: March 04, 2020, 10:59:45 AM »
What's wrong with floaty hands? Seeing you arms isn't that important once you're in the space, and it's still better than seeing your arms jerk about in unnatural postitions.
I think there's some people (who don't play VR often) who still wait for the magic bullet to transport DMC or whatever favorite traditional game they have, in VR, which is never happening; while defining new, specific genres, isn't going to be easy with so little return on investment and in a relatively short time span (since trad-videogames have been going at it for 40+ years), but i still believe; VR still gave me sensations trad-videogames never did.

Not that Alyx is really "a new genre".  :doge

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #141 on: March 04, 2020, 09:50:28 PM »
Apparently there’s a ton of research that shows floaty hands is much better for VR perception than having best-guess IK arms. The solving on fake arms is NBD.

naff

« Reply #142 on: March 04, 2020, 09:57:41 PM »
fake arms are gross af. floaty hands 4 lyf
◕‿◕

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #143 on: March 05, 2020, 01:53:54 PM »
When are they releasing a flatscreen version for pancake gamers? :thinking
©@©™

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #144 on: March 06, 2020, 01:28:24 AM »
Imagine playing Time Crisis with a gamepad. :doge

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #145 on: March 06, 2020, 06:36:59 AM »
Imagine playing Time Crisis with a gamepad. :doge

Hey I did that last night!

What

bluemax

« Reply #146 on: March 07, 2020, 12:05:00 AM »
Apparently there’s a ton of research that shows floaty hands is much better for VR perception than having best-guess IK arms. The solving on fake arms is NBD.

I'd be interested in reading this if you have a link (or I guess I'll just track it down myself).

Floaty hands just feels like a step backwards.
NO

TVC15

« Reply #147 on: March 07, 2020, 03:03:56 AM »
In short, bad arms are worse than no arms, and IK arms and shoulders are still wrong too often unless you’re willing to put a lot of effort into it (and the benefit isn’t worth the effort for most games, imo). Your sense of proprioception still knows where your real elbows are, and this is believed to be one of those things that breaks immersion.
serge

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #148 on: March 07, 2020, 07:06:37 AM »
On one hand I want to invest in VR.

On the other I fear that if I do I get so immersed that I will end up spending more time in VR than I do in the real world.  :doge
🤴

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #149 on: March 07, 2020, 07:38:27 AM »
theres nothing immersive enough in vr to make you want to do that quite yet, though there are some real fun games

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #150 on: March 20, 2020, 07:46:01 PM »
preload is up

bluemax

« Reply #151 on: March 20, 2020, 08:32:25 PM »
Even the craziest of fans of the last game I worked on spent less than 500 hours playing it last year.
NO

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #152 on: March 21, 2020, 06:55:07 AM »
Got my Rift S this week and took it for a spin yesterday.
Not sure what internet people are smoking when they say the CV1 is better.
It is much improved over the CV1 my brother got back in the day in pretty much every way.

All ready for Half Life Alyx*  :rejoice

spoiler (click to show/hide)
if the kung flu doesn't kill me
[close]
🤴

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #153 on: March 21, 2020, 10:04:08 AM »
I asked my pc gamer cousin if he had a VR headset for HL Alyx, he asked whats Alyx?

-_-

Then I asked him if he played Portal 2, he said noo thats not for me I dont like games with portals

I was like wtf? Dude one of the best games ever made. He's like nah never gonna touch it man dont like puzzel games

Told him he's closed minded and he said ey man watch it dont call me close minded  :lol
What

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #154 on: March 23, 2020, 11:04:09 AM »
nvidia dropped a new driver for HLA today so make sure to update

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #155 on: March 23, 2020, 01:34:30 PM »
Man it looks amazing,,watching a stream right now

https://www.twitch.tv/vaselinefairy
What

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #156 on: March 23, 2020, 01:54:08 PM »

mashallah lads

VG247 5/5
IGN 10
UploadVR 5/5
VGC 5/5
PC Gamer 92
EDGE 9
USGamer 4.5/5
Gamespot 9
Destructoid 9
Game Informer 9
Eurogamer 'Recommended'
PCGamesN 9

« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 01:58:20 PM by Mr Gilhaney »

Coffee Dog

« Reply #157 on: March 23, 2020, 02:53:58 PM »
I've watched three hours of this and it looks more like yet another puzzle/horror VR game that happens to be set in the Half Life universe rather than an attempt to adapt the gameplay of Half Life to VR.

All combat encounters have to assume that the player can't move and shoot at the same time. You have two guns (with room for one more) that you upgrade so far rather than carrying multiple (because its a horror game and not an FPS). By this time in either Half Life you had several guns and already went through multiple combat setpieces.

If you're already into what VR games offer this looks like the one with the highest production values easily, but what's the selling point for someone who actually likes the Half Life games for how they play? All the "2006 wii remote flashback" motion control submarine doors?  :lol

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #158 on: March 23, 2020, 02:54:30 PM »
Saw the ending, saved myself a click

HL3 confirmed actually maybe now?
[close]
fat

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #159 on: March 23, 2020, 03:02:05 PM »
venturebeat gave it an 8 cause coronavirus made the world too scary for them to have as much fun with the game :lol

Coffee Dog

« Reply #160 on: March 23, 2020, 03:10:11 PM »
Saw the ending, saved myself a click

HL3 confirmed actually maybe now?
[close]

Blatantly, and its tacky as fuck tbh  :yuck
[close]

Also

introducing asspull timeline changes to the plot to get around Laidlaw's outline is pretty funny
[close]
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 03:20:50 PM by Coffee Dog »

Coffee Dog

« Reply #161 on: March 23, 2020, 07:13:50 PM »
I'm seeing people play through the latter half of the game, (combat mechanics spoilers I guess?)
and it does look like there's more combat with non zombie enemies (though it seems careful never to throw more than 1-2 people with guns at you at a time which isnt great imo). in an FPS without jumping and sprinting, the entire thing has this start/stop vibe, where you just teleport away to a safe distance and start firing down a hallway or behind an object as you wait for the enemies to approach you.
[close]

I like that they made the attempt, the intro is probably a slow build before they start throwing you into firefights

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #162 on: March 23, 2020, 08:56:36 PM »
Smooth turning doesn't work, fuck this shit until they fix it.
sup

Sho Nuff

« Reply #163 on: March 23, 2020, 09:23:01 PM »
Did an hour. I like it. Haven't gotten to combat yet.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #164 on: March 23, 2020, 10:52:28 PM »
Did an hour. I like it. Haven't gotten to combat yet.

DID YOU LIKE IT, Mr. Shogun of Harlem?

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #165 on: March 24, 2020, 06:21:21 PM »
Do you think it's even worth setting it up as a seated experience? I'm kind of cramped due to curfew circumstances RN, i don't know if i should just wait (and maybe even get it on sale at this point), or set up the Oculus and get the game anyway.

bluemax

« Reply #166 on: March 24, 2020, 06:29:54 PM »

I'm curious, what does it do? Nothing?
NO

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #167 on: March 24, 2020, 08:13:06 PM »
https://old.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/fo3q2h/the_level_of_detail_in_this_game_is_insane_you/

feeling real regrets over selling my vr, despite having no room for it atm. 

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #168 on: March 25, 2020, 07:53:42 AM »

I'm curious, what does it do? Nothing?
They had the option to turn off snap turning, but turning it off did nothing and just stayed as snap turning. They fixed it yesterday, and added turning speed. Snap turning in VR games is too jarring for me and throws me off too much when aiming and moving, makes me feel like a drunk lurching around.
sup

Tasty

« Reply #169 on: March 25, 2020, 12:17:02 PM »

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #171 on: March 25, 2020, 05:45:52 PM »
Holy fuck, this game is intense.

Played the first 95 minutes.
Took some time to get used to the controls, continuous movement is a bit too much for me so I'm blinking and snapping.

At the end I was like at the opposite side of my room.

There's zombies in my living room

send halp  :pika
🤴

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #172 on: March 25, 2020, 06:54:07 PM »
i'm doing shift movement, seems good so far. need to fiddle with my space a little more to get a better play area bit yeah the game is intense. i'm taking my time cause there's so much shit to check out.

was also sweaty af after about 90 mins :lol
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 07:01:56 PM by nachobro »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #173 on: March 25, 2020, 07:38:36 PM »
I'm shocked by just how much you can do in this virtual space.
I crouched and very carefully managed to see beyond a ceiling beam that obstructed my view so I could shoot some aliens.
Leaning over things or just carefully positioning yourself so you can pick off enemies from a distance.
There's a strategic element going on in terms of movement and where you put yourself in the world.

Plus there's all the interaction with the weird Combine gizmo's and machines, which really feel like they don't belong on Earth and have all these obscure interfaces to figure out.

I don't think anything as immersive as this exists anywhere else in gaming.  :thinking
🤴

Sho Nuff

« Reply #174 on: March 25, 2020, 09:33:32 PM »
This feels like a game from the future. Chapter 6. No spoilers. Holy shit!!!

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
Hi

Sho Nuff

« Reply #176 on: March 26, 2020, 04:33:24 AM »
Chapter 5's environment is like one of my favorites of all time, so fuckin rad

Sho Nuff

« Reply #177 on: March 26, 2020, 11:01:26 AM »
Oh my god the chapter called JEFF

You trap him inside the closet
but the thing you need to proceed is inside the closet
[close]
[close]

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #179 on: March 26, 2020, 05:33:17 PM »
This game does not play around. Holy shit.

Me after playing Half Life Alyx finding myself on the other end of my living room

🤴