Author Topic: Resident Evil 3 Remake - Jill will return to your screens to tell his story.  (Read 25944 times)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Resident Evil 4 dosen't need a remake. PS2 Gen based games still hold up well when you clean them up and whatnot. RE4 still plays really well. If you must do more then a remaster one of those "new textures,old bones" type deals like Yakuza Kiwami, MW1/2, and so on would be fine. I just don't think we need a change of gameplay. People who complain about not being able to move and shoot don't get the game.

I agree but we're probably the minority. And there's extra money on the table for Capcom, sooo...

What I'd be most worried about with the remake is the little things that I feel a new team wouldn't pick up on. Like certain sound effects when zooming in, certain odd lines of dialog, certain specific scenario "links" (where A-B-C happen in a particular way to ramp up tension.) RE4 has a solid core but what puts it over the top are the uncountable little touches sprinkled in.

They've already re-released RE4 on PC, PS3/360, and PS4/Xbone/Switch.  Less of a 'need' to remake it.  But this is also Capcom so I fully-expect it to happen sometime down the road.

Next up should be Code Veronica (which also had an enhanced re-release...twice!) anyway.
ど助平

Tasty

I agree CV should be next. I barely made it far in my original playthrough and a remake's probably the only shot I have to play through that bonkers story. :lol

Bebpo

Just got the lockpick. Game is great.

The visuals really blow me away. This engine is amazing. Even though I love REmake, these RE Engine 2 & 3 games really make me want to be able to play the mansion game of RE1 with these kind of visuals.

Since remaking RE4 is cost prohibitive given the size/length of the game and CV is kinda a long RE too, would be neat if they remade 1 & 0 next.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Finished on Standard. What a disappointment after RE2. Should have been $20 DLC tops
fat

Bebpo

Finished on Standard. What a disappointment after RE2. Should have been $20 DLC tops

Just because it's short?

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Among other things
fat

Bebpo

RE3 doesn't have A/B scenarios like RE1/2, right? That probably would've helped.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Gonna do an Assisted run for Charlie Dolls and farm these records for points
fat

Himu

The only improvement they could make to RE4 is adding more survival horror esque resource management but professional mode already exist. RE4 is the best game of all time.

The other addition is subtitles in cutscenes which no rerelease has.
IYKYK

Tasty

The only improvement they could make to RE4 is adding more survival horror esque resource management but professional mode already exist. RE4 is the best game of all time.

Ehhh half the dialog is subtitled codecs anyways. :P

"Writhe in my cage of torment, my friend."

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
RE3 doesn't have A/B scenarios like RE1/2, right? That probably would've helped.

No it wouldn't. What would've helped is not cutting areas and making a mess of the scenario.

Also Nightmare Nemesis is giving me fits. The last battle has a three-hit dodge and if you mess up any of them it's instant-danger only to get combo'd if hit on the first-second of the combo. RIP.

Himu

Still. Subtitle the cutscenes.
IYKYK

Tasty

I'm always in favor of more accessibility options, so agreed.

paprikastaude

::)  RE8 and other Capcom next gen games can't be announced soon enough, so the remake and reremake begging can stop for the foreseeable future.

Bebpo

Got to the Carlos part.

Liking it, but yeah, there is stuff I'm not liking. Nemesis being turned into scripted chase shit hold forward sonic the hedgehog while dodging is lame. At least this stuff was way easier after he got his rocket launcher since you can see the red sight and just dodge. The first chase bit after the power station was really annoying for me. Went through like all 3 or so first aid sprays because he'd keep outrunning me and clothesline me and tentacle whip and when running from him I'd run into situations where there'd be zombies in front of me in a narrow area and I'd try to dodge past them and they'd still grab me. Was pretty damn annoying, post-rocket launcher Nemesis has been fine just boring. Now I just shotgun any zombie in my way while running.

I never liked Nemesis in RE3, partly why I don't remember much of RE3 at all. Like him even less here. Everything else that's not Nemesis is good, but feels oddly rushed/short. Like here's some bug enemies for 5 mins, ok you're done, move on. Here's some hunter shark enemies for 10-15 mins, ok you're done move on. The areas/enemies feel pretty short and underused, but maybe the original was like that. Idk, last time I played the original was in the 90s so fuck if I remember the game outside running around with Nemesis chasing you and the ending.

No it wouldn't. What would've helped is not cutting areas and making a mess of the scenario.

Yeah, but obviously they didn't have budget/time for whatever reason so those areas were cut. If the original RE3 had 2 scenarios and this did two, it'd at least double the game length and make the experience a bit more meaty like RE1/RE2. Feels like this is partly a source material issue, even if they were able to do the cut areas with only one scenario it'd be a shorter game than RE1/RE2.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
I had no idea Assisted gives you the Assault Rifle right off the bat, lmao

At least I can practice my routing for the S rank
fat

thisismyusername

PC port has them... in Spanish. But you can't enable them depending your Steam region. It's very frustrating, because someone could quickly mod the script into those as the "language" you choose for the subtitles and everyone would be happy.

It's hilarious that the only classic port that has subs is Deadly Silence/the 1 Classic DS port, outside of Japan. Japan has Japanese subs for the scenes even in the original PSX launches.

I had no idea Assisted gives you the Assault Rifle right off the bat, lmao

...It was in the description for the difficulty, my dude. :p

You're gonna want to grind points for the infinite ammo guns. I'm on Inferno now and if you're frustrated by Standard, you're going to have issues with Nightmare (last boss, especially) and Inferno (limited saves, limited box areas, Nightmare's remixed enemy placement/item locations, faster than Nightmare). It really feels (to me) that these hidden difficulty modes weren't built around non-infinite ammo spam. There is replaced/remixed item locations and all that, but the higher damage rate means S-ranking them without the infinite weapons will be very frustrating unless you want to sit down and plan/know your routes and get really good at dodging.

I just got grabbed from behind by Brad at the police station and just ate 1 hour of progress on Inferno. So tomorrow I'll have to redo my progress and hopefully get up to the Hospital so I can use one of my last 2-3 saves of the 5 for S-ranking Inferno.

Liking it, but yeah, there is stuff I'm not liking. Nemesis being turned into scripted chase shit hold forward sonic the hedgehog while dodging is lame. At least this stuff was way easier after he got his rocket launcher since you can see the red sight and just dodge. The first chase bit after the power station was really annoying for me. Went through like all 3 or so first aid sprays because he'd keep outrunning me and clothesline me and tentacle whip and when running from him I'd run into situations where there'd be zombies in front of me in a narrow area and I'd try to dodge past them and they'd still grab me. Was pretty damn annoying, post-rocket launcher Nemesis has been fine just boring. Now I just shotgun any zombie in my way while running.

Pssst. Save your grenades. Throw one when he Kool-Aid Man's through the wall of the power plant. You're home free (grab the case while you're running past him, there's 2-3 gun parts he gives besides ammo)

I never liked Nemesis in RE3, partly why I don't remember much of RE3 at all. Like him even less here. Everything else that's not Nemesis is good, but feels oddly rushed/short. Like here's some bug enemies for 5 mins, ok you're done, move on. Here's some hunter shark enemies for 10-15 mins, ok you're done move on. The areas/enemies feel pretty short and underused, but maybe the original was like that. Idk, last time I played the original was in the 90s so fuck if I remember the game outside running around with Nemesis chasing you and the ending.

Nemesis is fine. In Classic it's "run around his exposed arm/left and you're done, unless you want to fight him in attrition for gun parts/gun upgrades in which case bring the fire-power. He's honestly not that bad, dude. And his form here is even easier because of said Grenade tip above. The chase sequences are a snooze. The only time he gets frustrating is at the end and only past Hardcore (which you're not on). I mean no disrespect but: Git gud. :p
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 11:18:17 PM by thisismyusername »

Himu

::)  RE8 and other Capcom next gen games can't be announced soon enough, so the remake and reremake begging can stop for the foreseeable future.

Remake begging? Consensus is that RE4 doesn't need one. It's the best game ever.
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
who the fuck would pick assisted the first time through. imagine even thinking about hovering over it. couldnt be me. king gamer.
fat

Bebpo

Nemesis drops gun mods? Hmmmm, guess on 2nd run I'll try that.

I swear I hit him with a grenade and it didn't phase him. Must've missed. Just sorta assumed no weapon can stun him and you're just supposed to perfect dodge past him and every time he gets close.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
He only drops two gun mods, the rest is ammo
fat

Bebpo

Does he drop the gun mods first? So once you get them no point in shooting him anymore? Also what kind of ammo does he drop, just HG?

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
The only other ones I hope they remake are 0 and CV. The game cube remake of the original is still great, stupid tank controls and all, and as stated ad nauseam by others, 4 doesn't need it.

I'm mostly through with this and stick with my previous take: it's fine, but not as good as the RE2 remake, but I only played the original RE3 once when it first came out, and RE2 is probably my favorite of the original 3 PSX titles and close 2nd fave after RE4. I'll probably play this another time or two on higher difficulties but don't see myself cat assing it repeatedly like I did with RE2 last year.
yar

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
shotgun, flame rounds, etc
fat

Bebpo

GC remake of 1 is fineeeee but I mean c'mon on, going through the mansion with super amazing budget graphics and fighting ultra polgyon hunters and really epic rooftop tyrant fight? I play 8bit ass shitty retro rpgs so I'm not usually about gfx, but RE2/3's visuals are so damn nice I'm really impressed.

I don't think they should change the gameplay much, but I'd like a remake of 1 just for these kinds of visuals. RE1 & REmake are my favorite RE games followed by RE2/4 and then 7 not too far behind.

thisismyusername

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2045696682

LMAO. I haven't had Nemesis chase me through the safe rooms yet, mostly because a Grenade or Rocket to the face is more then enough to have him sit still as I speed past. I guess next run on Assisted or Standard I'm going to have to dick around and see if he goes through more than the garage and donut shop (which isn't the safe room itself), but I'm hearing it's Hardcore+ only.

Tasty

They're never doing a tank game again. And they know if they remade 1 again without tank controls after Remake, they'd get flailed alive by the fans.

I'd like to see it though, even if it was hypothetically third person... the original will exist.

Bebpo

Man, I'm terrible at this. I've been on this clock tower boss for 40 mins now and about to toss the game in the trash.
I can dodge all his stupid attacks and I get that when he's on the tower you're supposed to hit him to make him fall but my pistol and shotgun ain't doing that and my grenade launcher shots aren't reaching high enough to hit the top of the clock tower. Wtf am I doing wrong.

Also the Carlos part before it was pretty useless. Let's replay RE2 again? Why.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Use the Mine Rounds to stick the wall

There should have been Mine Rounds before you exited the subway. There's also ammo littered around the arena

Nemesis evolving like a pokemon was terribly stupid
fat

Bebpo

Use the Mine Rounds to stick the wall

Nemesis evolving like a pokemon was terribly stupid

I have 2 mine ammo. Is that enough to kill him? I picked up all the ammo around and it's flame rounds and shotgun/hg.

Bebpo

Ok, just tried again and ran out of gl ammo with a few misses and apparently no way to win after that? God, this fight fucking sucks.

I knocked him down twice and did a shot to his inner gut with a flame round each time after but he was still alive and I was out of GL ammo.

Bebpo

Lol, this time I got him knocked down 4 times but on the 4th time I went to shoot his insides and I was out of ammo for every goddamn weapon.

If I wouldn't be stuck in easy mode the rest of the game I'd switch to easy for this fight to lower his HP.

Bebpo

Ok, I think I'm doing this wrong. I got him 6 times with my 2 mine ammo + 4 that are in the car. Each time he fell I got a flame round right to the inside part that's sticking out. I did this 6 times with 6 flame rounds.
...and he's not dead and I have no more GL ammo to knock him down anymore. That was essentially a perfect run of putting a mine in his path in the circle around the buildings and knocking him down and hitting his inside 6 times in a row.

Do I have to knock him down when he's at the top of the clock tower to kill him? Is that what I'm doing wrong that I'm knocking him down while he's running circles before he climbs up to the top?

Bebpo

So since I can dodge all his attacks, I kept playing and he hit a car which opened up and gave me 6 more mine ammo. So I did this 3 more time (9 times total) and put the mine on when he was hanging on the side of the clock tower so as he climbed up higher it exploded and he fell and then a mine to the insides. 9 total GL shots to the insides...still not dead. I also tried shooting him with my pistol when he's on the very top of the clock tower but nothing happens. I tried GL to the top of the clock tower and it arcs and doesn't reach that high so if I have to knock him down when he's at the very top...I don't know how to do that.

*edit* just killed myself since I'm all out of ammo and there's nothing left in the field. Going to watch a youtube video of someone beating this fight to see what it is I'm missing.

Bebpo

Ok, video is basically doing what I'm doing but throwing grenades on him when he's down and then shotgun blasts instead of flame rounds. Maybe that does more damage (1 flame round and the insides close back up). Will try again. The problem is I blow a lot of my shotgun ammo on the first half of the fight to get him to start circling because I don't want to use my GL ammo on that part since I need it for knocking him down.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
What difficulty are you playing on? I feel like theres a ton of ammo in the arena alone, idk. The fight is practically free.
fat

Bebpo

Just standard. I beat him on my next run and this is what it took to kill him.

1st half:

2 flame rounds and about 12 shotgun shots

2nd half:

3 mine knockdowns -> couple of shotgun blasts and hand grenade x 3 (out of hand grenades)
4th knock down -> last 2 shotgun ammo left and then flame round to the inside
5th time I put a mine on the center of the clock tower where he runs through and I usually knock him down and instead he jumps to the side and avoids it. Climbs to the top and I shoot him twice on top with a pistol and he just dies from the pistol hits while on top (I didn't think you could do damage outside his inside pink thing after he falls).

I picked up the shotgun/handgun ammo on both sides next to the crate on both sides with green/red herb (green/red herb also in the center),
picked up the 4-6 extra flame rounds
picked up the 4-6 extra mine rounds

That was all the ammo I found in the arena. Ended up with 0 shotgun left, 0 hand grenades (brought 3 in, none in the arena), 0 flame rounds, about 4 mine rounds left and a ton of pistol ammo left. (*edit* clearing up now after the fight and looks like there was one car pick up of shotgun ammo I missed for 16 shots. Would've helped)

You would have thought that hitting him 9 times with a mine knockdown -> 9 flame rounds to his pink insides + like 18 shotgun ammo and some HG shots would've killed him if the above did it in 5 circle arounds, but who knows maybe he has high DEF against flame rounds or something which is why I wasn't killing him. Was using flame rounds to conserve the mine rounds for knocking him down.

Bebpo

fwiw, I didn't bring much into the fight because I hoard all my stuff for endgame in these. So I had a grenade launcher with 2 mine, 2 flame, about 16 shotgun shells and 3 hand grenades and some pistol going in. Pretty much was relying on the pickups for the ammo which yeah, basically covered it since in the end I have about that much now.

I guess I was just doing it wrong by hitting his center with flame round shots and that's why it seemed like he'd never die after 9 knockdowns while circling. I thought GL > Shotgun for damage but I guess Shotgun multiple shots >> GL for damage.

Bebpo

Hmm, I really don't like them taking away my main character and all their weapons and inventory so I can play as limited inventory Carlos -_-
This stuff wasn't in the original right? I don't remember playing as Carlos at all.

Feels like every original part in this is less hot game design choices. While RE2 Remake was great because it was mostly pretty close to a fantastically designed Kamiya game, this is a lot more inconsistent so far which I'm attributing to the good parts being remakes of the original design and the bad parts being new stuff.

Definitely makes me want to load up the PS1 and replay RE3 again after this to compare.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Nope, you play as Carlos in the original too when he gets the antidote
fat

Bebpo

oh ok, nm I'm dumb then. Adding more playable Carlos makes more sense in that case. I don't remember him at all. Was Barry in it like this too at the start?

Rahxephon91

I'm almost done I think.

So far pretty good. Probably not going to be well remembered as Resident Evil 2R as that game was honestly a revelation and a masterpiece of a game. This is more of a straight forward and well made game. Nothing really amazing about it, but to me it scratches that over the shoulder itch and is pretty good. More actionay that RE2 Remake for sure. Definitely  feel like I can go guns blazing more here. The level design is solid, but more linear and more like every area of RE2 Remake that wasn't the police station. Nemesis is'nt as cool as he could have been, but this game is more set piece driven then I'd thought it would be. So he works as more of a recurring event. They are still fun events, but clearly not the evolution of Remake 2's Mr X we thought he could be.

I don't know game looks great, plays great, and is in general pretty solid. Don't know what else to say. I really like this formula.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
From what I've seen so far, it looks like this got 1/10th of the time, budget and effort that RE2R got.
They should have given it another year.

Pennywise

The only other ones I hope they remake are 0 and CV. The game cube remake of the original is still great, stupid tank controls and all, and as stated ad nauseam by others, 4 doesn't need it.

I'm mostly through with this and stick with my previous take: it's fine, but not as good as the RE2 remake, but I only played the original RE3 once when it first came out, and RE2 is probably my favorite of the original 3 PSX titles and close 2nd fave after RE4. I'll probably play this another time or two on higher difficulties but don't see myself cat assing it repeatedly like I did with RE2 last year.
Agreed.

I don't think they should remake 0 unless they massively change the title. It's easily the worst one of the classical titles before. Shitty story, boring antagonist, lackluster bosses, gameplay elements that weren't really thought through.
Code Veronica would also need a huge overhaul. Fuck that segment with Wesker acting like it's the Matrix.

I would take a Remake of RE1. Lisa Trevor as Mr. X/Nemesis like annoyance worked fine, but could be beefed up. The game with RE Engine?  :mouf

Tasty

Code Veronica would also need a huge overhaul. Fuck that segment with Wesker acting like it's the Matrix.

What's RE5 got to do with this? :teehee

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
the goofy wesker shit was the best part about that poo game what are you talking about

"I don't know where you get your confidence, Chris."
pcp

Tasty

Wesker x Chris

:mouf

Tasty

Why do so many games around this time (CVX's release) trying for cinematic cutscenes have such poor sound mixing? That YouTube clip's music is way too loud.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
This game is great, but much like the OG's I prefer 2 to 3.

Hopefully the muted by comparison reaction means they cool it on the remakes and focus on making new shit going forward.
I agree they should cool it with remakes, but 7 wasn't exactly a super confident creation on their part.
First half was good, if too close to the shitty Outlast-style trend of hide&seek horror games, but the second half was a complete bore and just not creative at all.
It felt like they were searching for something without really finding it.
Remake2 is a much stronger template for the perfect Resident Evil, in my view.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
oh ok, nm I'm dumb then. Adding more playable Carlos makes more sense in that case. I don't remember him at all. Was Barry in it like this too at the start?

You probably should just go replay RE3. You've never played it
fat

paprikastaude

Hopefully the muted by comparison reaction means they cool it on the remakes and focus on making new shit going forward.
I agree they should cool it with remakes, but 7 wasn't exactly a super confident creation on their part.
First half was good, if too close to the shitty Outlast-style trend of hide&seek horror games, but the second half was a complete bore and just not creative at all.
It felt like they were searching for something without really finding it.
Remake2 is a much stronger template for the perfect Resident Evil, in my view.

First half of 7 was near 10/10. Most tense RE has been since REmake - plus some of the better boss battles in the series. Also, the remakes are basically re-imaginings now, with many new ideas and core concepts that build upon 7, so I don't worry about 8.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 01:22:57 PM by Spieler1 »

nachobro

• Live Más

this is sorta what i expected. i know that there are people that love 3 and all that but to me 2 is the king of them all, other than 7 in vr but that's a different thing tbh.

Himu

CV is trash

2 is the best psx RE

I'm looking forward to REmake 2. The demo was fantastic.

I also gotta play RE7. The demo was great.

Gotta get back into games for real now. RE you know you miss me. :rejoice
IYKYK

Bebpo

You probably should just go replay RE3. You've never played it

:lol

It’s probably my least favorite RE, not counting 6.
I don’t remember anything about RE0 but I remember liking it more than 3 & CV. And CV more than 3.

Bebpo

Real talk though, these games were a long ass time ago. Hell, I loved the shit out of RE2 in the 90s, but even last year with the Remake all that was familiar was the police station. I didn't remember much after that.

Only thing I remember about CV is a spider, some Wesker matrix shit, and a Leo Decaprio kid.
from 0 I just remember a train and a convict guy & rebecca
from 5 I remember the opening village and that's about it, wasn't a very memorable game

otoh, I know pretty much the whole maps of RE1/4 in my head since they were so memorable. Plus RE1 is short and easy to remember the parts. Who can forget the green Hunters or lab w/Tyrant battle? RE4 I remember the intro village and the castle but the stuff in between is kinda hazy.

I don't typically replay games, and these games are old stuff by now.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
I played RE1 a couple times when it came out. I remember most of it.

Same for CV, and I remember fuck all apart from there being a weirdo kid or something.

Himu

Bebpo you never replay games. What are you expecting?
IYKYK

thisismyusername

From what I've seen so far, it looks like this got 1/10th of the time, budget and effort that RE2R got.
They should have given it another year.

That's where I am. The opening is jarring and it's clear a lot of the scenario is left on the cutting room floor (like iconic areas. :doge #HelloClockTower).

It's not terrible but in comparison to 2 (which cut some areas but is generally 1:1 with the A [though B is basically a copy-pasta of A's now]/B scenario in the original 2) and 1's remake? It's horrible. There's no "love and care" put here. It's simply "we know fans want a remake of 3, so let's push this out the door since we already have 2's assets/some of Raccoon City done." It's really infuriating as a fan of 3 to see how much of a mess they made with the scenario.

Anyway:

S-rank Inferno loadouts

Could probably drop the regen coins and just keep the defense and Perfect Dodge boost, TBH. I did have a few more First Aid sprays I could've thrown in...

Like so. I did get 1-2 more First Aid Sprays in my run, but I forget if FAS use reduces rank like it does in the original, so I was leery about them and only kept 1 as a back-up "oh shit, I'm nearly finished and need to beat the game on Inferno once [before S-ranking it anyway] for more unlocks."
[close]

In any case... Justin Bebpo:

If I can do this, I believe in you. (Granted, this is with infinite ammo spam. I now need to do a non-Infinite run and see if it's possible to actually S-rank it without abusing those on Inferno)

Bebpo you never replay games. What are you expecting?

Oh, in that case: He'll never literally git gud and see how much a Push Over Neme-baby is in Standard and Hardcore (hell Nightmare and Inferno I guess) until the last battle (on Nightmare and Inferno). :(
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 03:23:26 PM by thisismyusername »

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
I don’t remember anything about RE0 but I remember liking it more than 3 & CV. And CV more than 3.

alright i've heard enough where is my pitchfork
pcp

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
Ok, RE0 was truly boring as fuck, but the train idea was a good one, in principle.
The whole game should've been that.