Author Topic: Resident Evil 3 Remake - Jill will return to your screens to tell his story.  (Read 25941 times)

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
0 isn't terrible, but it feels like Capcom blew their load/budget on the train and then were like "oh shit, that's only 25% of the game!" and struggled to find a way to make post-train interesting and get Rebecca to the mansion. :lol

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
I unlocked the infinite Launcher and the coins. Doing a no-itembox run now on Standard since they shove all the items in there of course, lol.
fat

paprikastaude

oh ok, nm I'm dumb then. Adding more playable Carlos makes more sense in that case. I don't remember him at all. Was Barry in it like this too at the start?

You probably should just go replay RE3. You've never played it

:lol

It’s probably my least favorite RE, not counting 6.
I don’t remember anything about RE0 but I remember liking it more than 3 & CV. And CV more than 3.

I thought the same until I replayed 3. I still had the same problems as back in the day, but my memory was overly soured solely because it wasn't as good as 2. It's far from the best classic RE, but still a very solid survival horror game. I can still play CVX and Ø because the core concept is good, but they have more problems in hindsight. While REmake and 2 are far above the rest.

thisismyusername

I unlocked the infinite Launcher and the coins. Doing a no-itembox run now on Standard since they shove all the items in there of course, lol.

They don't shove the inventory expansions in there. Which is a little funny (though how would they do that?) in a way.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 06:35:39 PM by thisismyusername »

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
Ok, RE0 was truly boring as fuck, but the train idea was a good one, in principle.
The whole game should've been that.

the rest was so stupid i can't believe it made it off the drawing board. "what if there was a SECOND mansion behind the first one? and instead of zombies it had evil bugs and monkeys and stuff? and it was haunted by an evil bishounen?? oh and also you have to use tank controls on two people at once" FUCK YOU
pcp

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
Although zombie monkeys are mentioned in the "Itchy Tasty" note of RE1.  :thinking

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
First run on Hardcore with Launcher - 1 hour clear. Lol this thing is stupid
fat

Bebpo

Oh, in that case: He'll never literally git gud and see how much a Push Over Neme-baby is in Standard and Hardcore (hell Nightmare and Inferno I guess) until the last battle (on Nightmare and Inferno). :(

Eh, I replay games multiple runs at the time of release. That's different. I'll do a hardcore run after I finish Standard now that I know the layout of the land and what to do.

Cindi/Demi were talking about like replaying games every 4-5 years to re-experience them and jog your memories, which I don't do. Would rather play a great game I haven't played most of the time.

I don’t remember anything about RE0 but I remember liking it more than 3 & CV. And CV more than 3.

alright i've heard enough where is my pitchfork

Hey, as a GC user the gfx were damn nice and that went a long way. It wasn't as good as the good RE games but was a fine enough survival horror RE game. Again I don't remember anything about it.

Rahxephon91

I finished it. Really good game.

thisismyusername

You're not done until you finish it on Inferno, Bebs. :wag :wag I believe in you and the heart of Perfect Dodge. I want to see you finish the last boss.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Oh, in that case: He'll never literally git gud and see how much a Push Over Neme-baby is in Standard and Hardcore (hell Nightmare and Inferno I guess) until the last battle (on Nightmare and Inferno). :(

Eh, I replay games multiple runs at the time of release. That's different. I'll do a hardcore run after I finish Standard now that I know the layout of the land and what to do.

Cindi/Demi were talking about like replaying games every 4-5 years to re-experience them and jog your memories, which I don't do. Would rather play a great game I haven't played most of the time

Then read a wiki idgaf lazy bum
fat

Bebpo

Cindi/Demi were talking about like replaying games every 4-5 years to re-experience them and jog your memories, which I don't do. Would rather play a great game I haven't played most of the time

Then read a wiki idgaf lazy bum

I do after I beat it! After I beat XB2 Torna I read the wiki for XB2, XBX, Xenosaga and XG again for context. Had forgotten most of the explanations for the world lore from XB2.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Imagine the only thing between you and Inferno is not getting stunlocked by the final boss. Couldnt be me
fat

thisismyusername

:lol Yeah, like I said: The first two hits are pretty much guaranteed death. It's kind of bullshit, but given you only need to fire the Railgun twice, it's not too TOO bad. Just really annoying.

Bebpo

I think I'm on the final boss, yeah it feels like you get stunned by the breath instantly and then rammed and take damage. Weird.

Had a good run on my 2nd try. Got about 8 or so MAG shots in his center but got bit by the dumb zombies while focusing on him. Gonna restock and bring in some health items, but doesn't seem too bad so far. The hospital was pretty good outside weird stuff like running completely out of ammo with Carlos early on but by the end having a ton of ammo/weapons. I actually enjoyed the mercenaries mode/horde mode bit at the end. Was pretty fun. The lab was solid but short. Since was stockpiling the whole game, between grenade shots on hunters & enemy groups and MAG headshots for paleheads wasn't bad.

Bebpo

Ok, yeah beat it on the next try. Was still pretty close and was out of healing items by the end.

Overall, like the original RE3 was to RE2, RE3R's a pretty good companion piece to (aka Jill Route C) to RE2. It's definitely less unique compared to RE2 than the original was with branching choices and Nemesis stalking, so it feels even more like a Jill-side expansion route to RE2.

If it wasn't for getting stuck for 2 hours on the dumb clock tower fight (and not even from dying but just running out of ammo and Nemesis not.fucking.dying), would have been a pretty solid 6 hour fun B+ run. Still a fun game, but yeah will be better the 2nd time since I know what to do on that clock tower fight and overall will be a smoother run knowing when to use ammo/conserve ammo.

Normally in RE games I'd just run by all the enemies up until RE4 came along and horde ammo. But RE2R taught me to kill every enemy I see, so I was doing that this run and pretty low/out of ammo a lot. If I knew I wasn't going to revisit a room filled with a bunch of zombies I'd just throw a flash and grab what I needed or get past the room, but since it was first play didn't know if I'd be revisiting any given room so killed every one of the zombies.

Some of the areas definitely could've expanded like the power plant section with the bugs or the sewers with the sharks. Those all felt like really short mini-dungeons and I still think all the scripted Nemesis running sequences are dumb though next run I'll fight him for the 2 gun parts and then just grenade and run to be more efficient. I think if Nemesis was setup in a way to always be stalking you in this like in the early downtown area it would've been a cooler game. I really liked the way the downtown segment was. And that first person intro was A++

I'm reading reviews now and I see some saying that game starts really high and the quality goes down as it goes along. I think production values definitely do. The intro looks insanely amazing and so does downtown and it's really well made + Nemesis, but by the time you're at the hospital, while a fun dungeon location to explore out, visually it's a pretty plain area and the lab is fairly generic too. The clock tower would've definitely helped to have another visually interesting location.

The combat is good. I didn't really understand the offensive use of the dodge and just used it for perfect dodge getting out of the way (which I found harder to do on normal zombies compared to bosses with major telegraphed animations). I saw a tip that if you forward dodge into a zombie it stuns them? So I guess there's some RE4 element to the combat that I need to look up and figure the best way to do it.

I liked the redesign and attitude of Jill. Instead of being kinda whatever, she comes across as basically a female Chris, confident and badass, which is good cause no reason the women characters can't be badass in RE like the guys. Was the original outfit a pre-order bonus? Because I don't see any DLC and I don't see it as an unlockable and I pre-ordered the PS4 version...

Speaking of which, I miss that RE2 had the SE with the original soundtrack. That was nice on 2nd play and a neat throwback to 90s VGM. I'm guessing they couldn't do the same here because the game is so fundamentally different? I'm gonna go watch a run of the original RE3.

Oh and the 2 RPD lockers in the Carlos section. Were you just supposed to remember their 3 letter codes from RE2? Only locks I didn't open in my run. Didn't find any hints and didn't remember from last year the codes. Speaking of which, now that the game is done, looking back that RPD section is probably the worst section in the game because it's so pointless and so obviously cheap asset re-use section instead of making something like the Clock Tower or Park. On replays will try to speed run that section to get it over with now that I know how it plays out.

What are the best unlockables to take into new game+ to make the game easier? I've got 7,860 so I can't get anything infinite ammo. Are the attack coins worth it?

thisismyusername

Yes, the original outfit was a pre-order bonus. It should be available in like two months, but since you don't replay games... :doge Besides which, the outfit's skirt isn't a skirt but a "skort"/skirt-short thing because Capcom couldn't really model a skirt when she wears pants in the remake. :lol

You probably know this (or don't) but if you perfect dodge then hit L2/LT (ready weapon), the game will go into a "slow-mo" time-dilation mode like the Phantom Pain does when you get near-alerted and allow Jill to counter attack (by pressing R2/RT [fire weapon]).

I'm guessing they couldn't do the same here because the game is so fundamentally different? I'm gonna go watch a run of the original RE3.

They could, but IIRC the soundtrack here is a remix of the original 3's tracks. Something they certainly could've done like 2, though, for sure. Even if they had to put the music in new locations.

The scenario is completely different. While you start at Jill's Apartment (though you don't explore it in the original, you're thrown out by an explosion like on the "second floor" of the apartments here, just onto the streets: Not a fire-escape), the scenario is VASTLY different after that. Because while you still go to the bar and parking garage... the Uptown area is MASSIVELY cut. Definitely replay the original and you'll see what I mean if you check the map (or just walk around). Kendo's Gunshop also changed locations. It's closer to the R.P.D. (since they changed that in 2 as well) instead of being near Jack's Bar.

Oh and the 2 RPD lockers in the Carlos section. Were you just supposed to remember their 3 letter codes from RE2? Only locks I didn't open in my run. Didn't find any hints and didn't remember from last year the codes.

CAP is listed in the briefing room, where Carlos calls Tyrell after the "Big R.P.D. welcome" comment Carlos makes. It's on the white board as you're passing by to unlock the door that leads to the West Wing, Dark Room, and and Evidence Locker/Weapons locker room hallway.

DCM is listed in a file... forgetting where... but it's in the file. If you haven't read all the files, use the PowerPyx video I posted a while back and go through those since reading all the files in a playthrough gives you points for the shop, so you might as well. (As does unlocking all the locks [lock-picks, Jill/Carlos' safes in the RPD and other areas], so just use that video to get a MASSIVE point boost, don't super worry about S-ranking if you aren't going to play the game hardcore)

The R.P.D. in the original was an asset reuse as well. Even with blocked areas. Something they could've done differently was had Jill (who is the one that goes through it originally) meet Marvin [something I was hoping for and doesn't happen in the original] and get information and/or find out about Iron's being involved. But instead they just give the segment to Carlos to give him more to do.

What are the best unlockables to take into new game+ to make the game easier? I've got 7,860 so I can't get anything infinite ammo. Are the attack coins worth it?

Yes, plus the S.T.A.R.S. manual for easier Perfect Dodges. Or the Defense Coins and Regen Coins (though the Regen Coins won't be super useful in boss battles) since if you have both of the regen coins you get back to Fine status pretty fast.

If you still have a save for Carlos (to get the Assault Rifle kills done), or at the Nikolai Fuse section (to get the Jill weapons done, especially the Magnum and Grenade Launcher) you can just farm about 11 kills per run on the fuse section and about 20-50 kills in the Carlos section to get those weapon/enemy kills done. They give you about 10,000-20,000 points to use.

S-ranking and the higher difficulties give you WAY more. I've got nearly all the shop items, bar I think the Attack Coins and Jill's S.T.A.R.S. outfit and the only record I have left besides "So Long RC" is the 8000 enemy kills one, which after abusing the Infinite Rocket Launcher on Nightmare, Inferno (S-ranks for these), and grinding weapon kills and doing Standard (no S-rank yet) for this I'm nearly at the 8000 for that. I think doing Assisted and Standard S-ranks will give me more than enough if I just Rocket Everything. :lol
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 12:57:17 AM by thisismyusername »

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Buy hip packs first
fat

Bebpo

Yes, the original outfit was a pre-order bonus. It should be available in like two months, but since you don't replay games... :doge Besides which, the outfit's skirt isn't a skirt but a "skort"/skirt-short thing because Capcom couldn't really model a skirt when she wears pants in the remake. :lol

Just checked my email and I guess I got that code but didn't notice it. lol.

You probably know this (or don't) but if you perfect dodge then hit L2/LT (ready weapon), the game will go into a "slow-mo" time-dilation mode like the Phantom Pain does when you get near-alerted and allow Jill to counter attack (by pressing R2/RT [fire weapon]).

Yeah I did this here and there but didn't find it too useful on normal enemies because once I dodged I just want to get away from them and get some space, was useful on Nemesis boss fight a bit.

CAP is listed in the briefing room, where Carlos calls Tyrell after the "Big R.P.D. welcome" comment Carlos makes. It's on the white board as you're passing by to unlock the door that leads to the West Wing, Dark Room, and and Evidence Locker/Weapons locker room hallway.

DCM is listed in a file... forgetting where... but it's in the file. If you haven't read all the files, use the PowerPyx video I posted a while back and go through those since reading all the files in a playthrough gives you points for the shop, so you might as well. (As does unlocking all the locks [lock-picks, Jill/Carlos' safes in the RPD and other areas], so just use that video to get a MASSIVE point boost, don't super worry about S-ranking if you aren't going to play the game hardcore)

The R.P.D. in the original was an asset reuse as well. Even with blocked areas. Something they could've done differently was had Jill (who is the one that goes through it originally) meet Marvin [something I was hoping for and doesn't happen in the original] and get information and/or find out about Iron's being involved. But instead they just give the segment to Carlos to give him more to do.

Yeah, I remember RPD re-use in RE3, it's just kinda boring here with Carlos. For the point thing for all locks unlocked, I got 18/20 so those 2 lockers are all I missed :| I kinda rushed that section though because it felt filler and I wanted to get back to the main game of new content.

Yes, plus the S.T.A.R.S. manual for easier Perfect Dodges. Or the Defense Coins and Regen Coins (though the Regen Coins won't be super useful in boss battles) since if you have both of the regen coins you get back to Fine status pretty fast.
[/quote]

I guess I'll just take 1 attack coin and hopefully that'll let me kill things quicker and speed run the next run more. Maybe grab the lock pick to decrease on backtracking too. That would be about 6,000.

Buy hip packs first

I can only get 1 though, so doesn't seem worth it. 2 extra spaces early on isn't going to make much difference.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 04:26:55 AM by Bebpo »

Bebpo

Kinda tempted to get the heat knife if it does a lot of damage. Would save a ton of handgun ammo early on to finish off downed enemies with a knife (a lot of times they'd get back up even while knife slashing them like 5 times as they're down/rising so I still had to back off and shoot them again).

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Attack coin is useless tbh. Buy hip packs for more space so u stop crying about ammo
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Ya ur dumb. I only played the game amillion times for all achievements. What would I know

Those bonus weapons are dogshit
fat

Bebpo

Attack coin is useless tbh. Buy hip packs for more space so u stop crying about ammo

But I picked up all the ammo in the game! Never really had space issues outside one part in the sewer. I just ran out of ammo sometimes spending like 10+ headshots per zombie.

Bebpo

I'm assuming this game uses dynamic difficulty like RE2 where the ammo pick ups give you less ammo if you have more so that you're always running low?

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Seemed pretty consistent for me. Maybe you have the aim of michael j fox
fat

Bebpo

lol

I mean I hit their head with headshots...

Anyhow, starting run 2. I bought a hip pouch and the stars outfit because why not.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Just farm kills for points. Best parts for me were the last part of carlos jill defense (theres an auto checkpoint) the zombies are endless until you plant.

Then you could use wherever for jill (probably the warehouse) since you will have all your guns to use
fat

Bebpo

Since the game has autosave all the time, the 5 saves or less thing is a joke right? If you just rely on autosave you're fine?

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Yes only inferno disables autosave
fat

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Besides which, the outfit's skirt isn't a skirt but a "skort"/skirt-short thing because Capcom couldn't really model a skirt when she wears pants in the remake. :lol

This has been "fixed" in the PC version already.  There's also bikinis (of course), shirtless Carlos, and Jill's RE5 battlesuit, among other skins.
:expert

Someone already replaced Carlos with Dante.  :lol

ど助平

Bebpo

Game is pretty short, fast and fun on replays. Already in RPD with Carlos at about 1 hour. And that was with some backtracking in downtown since I didn't buy the lockpick/bolt cutters and went back and used them at all the spots to collect ammo/health.

Got the 2 weapon parts from Nemesis. Yeah he's much easier to deal with (and more fun) when you fight him instead of just running. Still got punched into zombie bites a couple times >_<
When he has the rocket launcher and it seems like it's a scripted chase sequence, can you actually fight him if you want?

Also on those tentacle head guys I can never figure out the tell signals to dodge their tentacle attacks from mid-distance. Mainly just tried to kill them from very far away or hide behind a wall and then shotgun pop out.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Yes you can stun him during all  sequences. But only some sequences drop a package in my experience.
fat

Bebpo

So I got that achievement for all the unlocks by getting those 2 rpd lockers. Yay, 1000 points.
I noticed that even with the 2 weapon drops from Nemesis, I only have 8/10 weapon parts. I need to look up what I'm missing. I felt like I blue area'd everywhere and obviously I got all the locked lockers/chests.

Back at the hospital with Carlos now, same as where I started today. Game/boss fights are a lot more fun when you know what you're doing for sure. Will try to finish the run tomorrow. Was gonna try for an S ranking, but I feel like not starting with the bolt cutters/lockpick dooms that.

Bebpo

I think I missed the shotgun shell holder and MAG extended clip in the underground storage area looking at the list of weapon parts.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
Besides which, the outfit's skirt isn't a skirt but a "skort"/skirt-short thing because Capcom couldn't really model a skirt when she wears pants in the remake. :lol

This has been "fixed" in the PC version already.  There's also bikinis (of course), shirtless Carlos, and Jill's RE5 battlesuit, among other skins.
:expert

Someone already replaced Carlos with Dante.  :lol

(Image removed from quote.)

Those short socks really make a world of difference!

Bebpo

This is definitely a good game, but I agree that it's not worth $60 and idk if it'd even be worth it at $40 if they went with a lower priced release.

I mean RE2 Remake had a longer campaign, a second campaign, and the bonus campaigns like 4th survivor and then it had the Ghost Survivors DLC mini-game mercenaries mode.
RE3 Remake has a short campaign and...that's it unless you care about the MP thing. A Mercenaries mode on top of this really would've helped and is a lower asset/budget mode that could've added a lot.

It's a shame that again, they try doing a dumb wanna be multiplayer game with RE that no one is going to play in a month. They're always hoping these will take off and be the next fortnight and make them a billion dollars, but it's not happening.
If they're going to make MP RE, they should at least attempt to recreate a modern day version of Outbreak. Fuck it, just do Outbreak 1/2 remake. I didn't play much of Outbreak at the time, but people thought it was pretty original and cool.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
"Anatomy Improvements".

thisismyusername

Kinda tempted to get the heat knife if it does a lot of damage. Would save a ton of handgun ammo early on to finish off downed enemies with a knife (a lot of times they'd get back up even while knife slashing them like 5 times as they're down/rising so I still had to back off and shoot them again).

That knife is pointless. You don't even NEED the hip-packs (IMO) if you know where you're going/what you want to get. I played the game on Hardcore right after Standard without them and didn't notice a reduction in base-item space. You might miss ONE hip-pack (the one in the clocktower monument) if you're going for S-rank, but honestly the Hip-pack expansion is non-essential, IMO.

Was gonna try for an S ranking, but I feel like not starting with the bolt cutters/lockpick dooms that.

My god, you and demi both... :snoop

I never used those and S-ranked fine. They can cut down time by like 10 minutes or so but you're still going to go to get the water hose (which never changes locations), you're still going to go past the fire to the power-station. You'll still run near the box that contains the lockpick normally.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
Just realized that this was basically 100% outsourced. Starting to make sense :lol

thisismyusername

Yeah, I know. The benefit of having a PC/version is being able to fix Capcom's fuck-ups. :doge But I'm more complaining as a series-purist ("Why isn't this in the classic formula camera style. REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE") that they couldn't even do the classic outfit right to where people have to mod it to fix it because "we don't want sexy upskirts in our new title!"

I need to get around to installing the Classic Nemesis and Julia Voth face mod to see how those look in-game.

I mean RE2 Remake had a longer campaign, a second campaign, and the bonus campaigns like 4th survivor and then it had the Ghost Survivors DLC mini-game mercenaries mode.
RE3 Remake has a short campaign and...that's it unless you care about the MP thing. A Mercenaries mode on top of this really would've helped and is a lower asset/budget mode that could've added a lot.

REbirth 2's B scenario is literally just A scenario with 1-2 added bosses at the end. There's no fundamental changes compared to the originals B scenario (saving Sherry/vaccine). You're right that 3 got rushed development, though. On a side-game that is flopping hard: https://steamdb.info/app/952070/graphs/ <---Look at all dat graphs.

It's a shame that again, they try doing a dumb wanna be multiplayer game with RE that no one is going to play in a month. They're always hoping these will take off and be the next fortnight and make them a billion dollars, but it's not happening.
If they're going to make MP RE, they should at least attempt to recreate a modern day version of Outbreak. Fuck it, just do Outbreak 1/2 remake. I didn't play much of Outbreak at the time, but people thought it was pretty original and cool.

Raid mode was successful, so was online co-op with 5-6 (though a lot of folks like me that played the original 1-3 hated it because the series was always single-player so forcing co-op with a terrible AI sucked ass for us). They can do a "successful" online title in the series. It's just Capcom fucks up in the process. Either with ass-tastic netcode (which isn't a series exclusive: Even Street Fighter had terrible netcode. Lost Planet less so but could get laggy), awful balance, or poor game design (Umbrella Corp's random enemies in a player vs player situation that just was jarring when you were focusing on your Gears of Hunk gameplay).

Series fans want Outbreak remaster or HD, but Capcom is fucking dumb. Just like it took 20+ years for REbirth 2-3, it's going to take about 50 for them to realize that Outbreak is what most folks want.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Not sure why I'm being lumped with Bebpo. Hip Pack is the smartest choice if you only have less than 8000 points to spend. I'm not even sure why they give you the choice to buy the lockpick or bolt cutter for the reasons you said

Better to be able to hold more items off the rip so you don't find yourself having to backtrack if you discover "damn I want to get this item but my items are full"
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
fat

Bebpo

Since auto-save saves over itself, if you're going for the 2hr speedrun, what are spots to use your hard saves in case you mess up and need to reload to save time?

I'm thinking the hospital start with Carlos because it's a bit puzzle-y to get the items in the right order. That's where I'm at now and even though I just did it yesterday, can't remember 100% the order to go since I was heavily exploring first run.
Then probably a hard save somewhere during downtown? And one at the lab? Seems like good places for practicing shaving time. Sewers is pretty straight forward as is RPD and the bit before the clock tower fight.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Carlos Hospital is pretty straight forward

- Run upstairs, grab locker key (hop thru window)
- Run back upstairs to staff room, get keycard (Hunter spawn)
- Run to sick area, open door with keycard, get tape (2 Hunters in room)
- Hop thru window back downstairs, use tape (Hunter spawns on way back)
- Make a sandwich because you're waiting 20 minutes for the dumb defense bit

Ignore HC bullets, just pick up any AR you see on the way - the defense section has tons of ammo and grenades (when the power goes out)
Grab extra mag add-on from the safe (9 clockwise, 3 counterclock)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 02:56:10 PM by demi »
fat

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Finished it on normal in 5:51.  It was all right- the game started off great, but ultimately felt like a RE2 remake retread about halfway through.

Is Resistance not up yet on Steam?  Didn't see anything available.  Not sure if I'm going to bother with it anyway.

EDIT: LOL, separate install.  Completely missed that.
ど助平

Bebpo

Carlos Hospital is pretty straight forward

- Run upstairs, grab locker key (hop thru window)
- Run back upstairs to staff room, get keycard (Hunter spawn)
- Run to sick area, open door with keycard, get tape (2 Hunters in room)
- Hop thru window back downstairs, use tape (Hunter spawns on way back)
- Make a sandwich because you're waiting 20 minutes for the dumb defense bit

Ignore HC bullets, just pick up any AR you see on the way - the defense section has tons of ammo and grenades (when the power goes out)
Grab extra mag add-on from the safe (9 clockwise, 3 counterclock)

Yeah, I just did the hospital. Was pretty short skipping everything optional. The worst part was that horde area because I'm trying to rush kill everything to speed it up and I keep getting surrounded and bitten and fuck.

Bebpo

Oh shit, I forgot to get the Magnum since as Jill I just rushed straight to the underground.  :'(

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
You'll barely use it. Just use GL to knock down the Pale Heads, grab what you need and leave
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
I think they give Magnum way too late in the game (not that theres much game here) considering there's I believe literally only one Magnum ammo pickup unless you craft more. They give you a shitload of GL shots though.

Considering the mechanics of the last two fights, Magnum is just generally useless to me. It kills Pale Heads in one shot - big whoop.
fat

Bebpo

idk, once I found the magnum I stopped crafting any shotgun shells and using all the high grade gunpowder + hg gunpowder for magnum ammo and I had plenty for both all the pale heads and my main weapon for the final boss. Even was using it on the bubbles on the railgun part since it one shotted them quick.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
3 burst HC does just the same - and they give you plenty of that during final fight. Not a single magnum clip though
fat

Tasty

"Anatomy Improvements".

Yeah I laughed at that. :lol OK you removed most of her rib cage, congrats.

Bebpo

3 burst HC does just the same - and they give you plenty of that during final fight. Not a single magnum clip though

Ah, I changed back to standard HG for the fight before because the 3 burst reload time is shit when you gotta hit 2 of those red squares. One missed shot burst and not enough time whereas standard HG you can miss and still hit both.

Bebpo

Ok, so I finally have a decent amount of stars points. 15,400.

Currently own:

-1 extra hip pouch
-1 attack coin
-1 Stars outfit (I shouldn't have bought this, this was dumb)

What's best for Nightmare mode run?

I can get an infinite handgun, which saves ammo in the first half and here and there against normal zombies, but won't be too useful against stronger enemies. I could buy a 2nd hip pouch and 2nd atk coin and the perfect dodge field manual. Or should I go with recovery coins to save on health items or the crafting thing to get more ammo with gunpowder/hg gunpowder so won't run out of ammo as much since enemies will be stronger and take more hits.

I could try to save up for infinite assault rifle with another 13,000 or so. But that would probably take grinding zombie killings or trying to do a < 2 hour run on easy. Both lengthy grinds I'd rather avoid.

thisismyusername

Recovery Coins and S.T.A.R.S. manual, TBH.

I dunno if you've S-rank'd Standard and Hardcore, but if you have that gives some points (along with all locks [you did this already, IIRC?] and all files found/read/unlocked) along with the weapon grind ones if you haven't finished those.

S-ranking the modes gives MASSIVE points.

The handgun can be useful if you want to save ammo but the faster attack speed of enemies, the remixed enemies (lickers and hunters and pale heads showing up earlier) mean the handgun's usefulness in Nightmare is a little less useful.

S.T.A.R.S. manual helps make the perfect dodge window easier to do. Regen coins save health items (which can be useful for the final battle, but not so much on Nightmare).

Honestly, you should look at your records and see which of the biggest point ones you haven't done and save your coins for at least the Assault Rifle and Rocket Launcher (if possible), those will help you with S-ranking Nightmare, but if you're just doing it to say you've done it... the coins and manual will help.

The extra-item space is helpful but I don't find it a must-have like Demi does. Again: You'll get the stuff you know you need and anything else (herbs, ammo) you'll pick up if you need them when you need them on the run and save as much space as possible (at least 2-3 item slots through the whole game) for the two (battery) or three (fuses) you need to pick up while speed-running.

I dunno if you're speed-running or not. Just my opinion.

Shop-rankings (provided you'd saved the points)
1: Rocket Launcher
2: Assault Rifle Infinite Ammo
3: S.T.A.R.S. manual
4: Recovery coins x 2
4: Defense coins x 2 (tied)
5: Assault coins x 2 (folks swear by this, but the RL being gotten is basically a cheat over these)
6: Item Expansion/Hip-packs x 2
7: Whatever, anything else is lesser

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
I think grinding weapon kills will take quicker than you think, it's not that bad. They give the most points for your time too
fat

Bebpo

Thanks, not going for a speed run, just completion for now. Yeah infinite handgun seems less useful.

I might griiiind zombie kills in the defense section with Carlos. I'm missing the AR kills and only have the first 400 kills for zombies. If I grind that I could get infinite ammo AR which sounds like it'd be way more helpful than most stuff. Maybe I should waste a few hours grinding.

Or I could get for an S rank of earlier difficulties.

thisismyusername

Thanks, not going for a speed run, just completion for now. Yeah infinite handgun seems less useful.

I might griiiind zombie kills in the defense section with Carlos. I'm missing the AR kills and only have the first 400 kills for zombies. If I grind that I could get infinite ammo AR which sounds like it'd be way more helpful than most stuff. Maybe I should waste a few hours grinding.

Or I could get for an S rank of earlier difficulties.

S-ranking Hardcore will give you Standard and Hardcore's records at the same time. That'll give you a MASSIVE boost. If you're comfortable enough with doing it within an hour or two and don't need 5 saves (which you don't since auto-saves lol) you can hammer that out pretty easy and should be able to get the rocket launcher.

Honestly though: If you haven't ground the kills, do so: That'll knock those out and get you closer to the 8000 kills one (which gives like 6000? 12000? points) which I finished within 5-runs (on all difficulty modes).

Grinding the kills is tedious but not too bad.

Spots:

1) Drain Deimos/Power Plant (Shotgun/Pistol, but you have to worry about parasites and it's slow despite infinite spawns until you blow the fuses)
2) Carlos RPD (slow) or Hospital (hoard mode segment) gives about 20-40 kills on Carlos and can be done until you put the detonator on/blow it [save before the hoard mode segment since it auto-saves on "blow the door"]
3) Nikolai Fuse section (Jill: Magnum, Grenade Launcher, Assault Rifle [if you have it], Shotgun or Pistol): 11 kills, which is slower but if you have all of Jill's weapons you can knock this out here (though might need to dodge Pale Heads and worry about the Nemesis-alpha parasites and Hunter-Gamma{s} in the area)

Bebpo

Yeah, the only kill records I have are 400 overall, 80 HG, 20 MAG.

I'm definitely not comfortable enough to S rank hardcore time-wise.

thisismyusername

IIRC, Handguns are done, don't worry about that one.

Focus on Assault Rifle, Shotgun, Magnum (there's an 80 Magnum one IIRC), and Grenade Launcher (the slowest one).