Author Topic: Corona Thread |OT| Nu variant, who dis?  (Read 1084326 times)

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
Re: Corona Thread |OT| Money-printer goes BRRRR
« Reply #3180 on: March 20, 2020, 03:56:41 PM »
I have a problem with that (testing only those with grave cases). At that point, it doesn't matter WHY they are a grave case, the treatment doesn't change.

A Fed Ex driver or Food Service worker with mild symptoms is way more crucial to identify then a person laying in a hospital bed.

Himu

« Reply #3181 on: March 20, 2020, 03:58:58 PM »
I have a problem with that (testing only those with grave cases). At that point, it doesn't matter WHY they are a grave case, the treatment doesn't change.

A Fed Ex driver or Food Service worker with mild symptoms is way more crucial to identify then a person laying in a hospital bed.

Me!

Which is why it would be irresponsible of me to work if I'm truly sick. I'll see how I'm feeling in two hours.
IYKYK

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3182 on: March 20, 2020, 04:03:44 PM »
If you think you are sick, you shouldn't be going to work anyways.  Hope you feel better soon.

I know. I wish there were easy, accessible testing.

I totally feel that and the anxiety over this shit is overwhelming, however, it doesn't really matter if you are tested or not.  You might just have a cold or something else, but you don't want to spread that around either since then everyone who gets it will then be in your position about anxiety over the virus too or calling helplines going to the doctor, etc.  Even if you do have it, you will only be told to stay at home unless your conditions keep getting worse over a prolonged period. 

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #3183 on: March 20, 2020, 04:05:07 PM »
I was going to be a famous standup comedian but now I have to wait a year. Life sucks all around.

tell me joke

I'm no conspiracy theorist, but don't you think it's a little suspicious that the virus started in 2019, and when they finally found out what it was, it just happened to be Covid-19? Isn't that a bit too coincidental?

spoiler (click to show/hide)
...also I hate minorities and women
[close]

(Image removed from quote.)

I hope you don't think I was being serious there. Honestly, I don't hate women, I love women.

And minorities are O.K.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #3184 on: March 20, 2020, 04:05:36 PM »
I was going to be a famous standup comedian but now I have to wait a year. Life sucks all around.

tell me joke

I'm no conspiracy theorist, but don't you think it's a little suspicious that the virus started in 2019, and when they finally found out what it was, it just happened to be Covid-19? Isn't that a bit too coincidental?

[close]
:lol

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3185 on: March 20, 2020, 04:05:54 PM »
If you don't have a membership to one of the shopping clubs, you might want to think about getting one.  My Wal-Mart and Krogers have been out of some essentials all week, but you walk into Sam's Club and it's been well-stocked (except for meat and produce).

Been two weeks, but last trip to Costco was bad.  They were cleaned out of a lot of stuff that the supermarkets still have.
ど助平

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3186 on: March 20, 2020, 04:06:09 PM »
Nothing you can do against this, except to wait and hope for the best or invent a time machine.
https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1241061946641862656
🤴

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3187 on: March 20, 2020, 04:08:02 PM »
https://twitter.com/robertbenzie/status/1241049695654461446

Even Cocaine bro is mad at Gamestop/EBgames.  :gamer

This is really long and full of his own commentary, but it really shows how much Gamestop management just does not give a fuck.

They're even telling their staff to ignore police orders to shut down stores.
:dizzy

I saw "boycott Gamestop" trending on Twitter last night, filled with people saying "well...I'll boycott them AFTER I get Animal Crossing tonight."  :doge
ど助平

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #3188 on: March 20, 2020, 04:08:03 PM »

ToxicAdam

« Reply #3189 on: March 20, 2020, 04:08:06 PM »
If you don't have a membership to one of the shopping clubs, you might want to think about getting one.  My Wal-Mart and Krogers have been out of some essentials all week, but you walk into Sam's Club and it's been well-stocked (except for meat and produce).

Been two weeks, but last trip to Costco was bad.  They were cleaned out of a lot of stuff that the supermarkets still have.

Yea, I guess YMMV depending on what part of the country you're in and how popular said stores are.

I live in a depressed area, so paying for Sam's Club or Costco is a luxury.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #3190 on: March 20, 2020, 04:09:37 PM »
Not to be grim but that thing could wreck Africa, maybe India, the less wealthy Asian countries and possibly South America. I would expect we'll emerge from this with at least a year long severe control of immigration into the "Global North" and the far right will cream at this with the argument that "Well we did it... Why not continue ?".

It'll do some damage but bear in mind. Africa is young, some countries really young with an average age of like eighteen! Young people will get sick for sure, but the effect won't be remotely the same like in Italy.

Niger average age about 15 (!!)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3191 on: March 20, 2020, 04:10:38 PM »

Yea, I guess YMMV depending on what part of the country you're in and how popular said stores are.

I live in a depressed area, so paying for Sam's Club or Costco is a luxury.

Local Costcos in this area and pretty much packed to the brim seven days a week.  It's often hard to find parking.  I gave up on getting gas there a few years ago because of how insane the lines are.
ど助平

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #3192 on: March 20, 2020, 04:19:32 PM »
Not to be grim but that thing could wreck Africa, maybe India, the less wealthy Asian countries and possibly South America. I would expect we'll emerge from this with at least a year long severe control of immigration into the "Global North" and the far right will cream at this with the argument that "Well we did it... Why not continue ?".

It'll do some damage but bear in mind. Africa is young, some countries really young with an average age of like eighteen! Young people will get sick for sure, but the effect won't be remotely the same like in Italy.

you believe them? :neogaf

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #3193 on: March 20, 2020, 04:21:45 PM »

Are you saying they're hoarding boomers in secret there or something ???

Propagandhim

« Reply #3194 on: March 20, 2020, 04:22:55 PM »

tell me joke

[close]

https://twitter.com/GovMikeHuckabee/status/1241090455498117120

:goty2 :clap   :larry :clap

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #3195 on: March 20, 2020, 04:25:41 PM »

Are you saying they're hoarding boomers in secret there or something ???
it's the nigerians  :rejoice

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #3196 on: March 20, 2020, 04:27:29 PM »

tell me joke

[close]

https://twitter.com/GovMikeHuckabee/status/1241090455498117120

:goty2 :clap   :larry :clap

what year century is it?

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3197 on: March 20, 2020, 04:32:47 PM »
🤴

Himu

« Reply #3198 on: March 20, 2020, 04:41:41 PM »
Staying home from work today. Definitely harder to breathe today. Hope it's nothing. Only silver lining is that there's Animal Crossing, which just arrived. Washed my hands after opening the case of course.
IYKYK

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #3199 on: March 20, 2020, 04:43:46 PM »
Keep an eye out for fever and cough, most common symptoms. Anxiety can cause a bunch of symptoms but I don't think I've ever heard of anxiety fever (actual fever not panic attack sweats)

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #3200 on: March 20, 2020, 04:52:02 PM »
I wish we had one of those cool instant point and shoot thermometers. I would rather simmer in my paranoia than deal with our crappy digital one.  :snob :donot :nope

Himu

« Reply #3201 on: March 20, 2020, 04:54:24 PM »
So from what I've seen half of corona patients have gastro issues leading to the respiratory symptoms. Aside from barfing and have stomach issues last week I've been fit as a whistle. I don't have any symptoms now besides slight respiratory.
IYKYK

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3202 on: March 20, 2020, 04:59:20 PM »
There's now a confirmed flu epidemic as well so everyone that thinks they have the corona has the flu, and everyone that think's its 'just the flu' has the corona  :mods

Anyhow it's better to get the corona now than in 2 months when they have to decide if you or a cute 19 y/o bartender lives.
🤴

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #3203 on: March 20, 2020, 05:00:22 PM »
The same flu epidemic that occurs every year

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3205 on: March 20, 2020, 05:04:38 PM »
It'll be weird when it's the new normal like the war on terror and item 5 after the baby tiger is: "670 people died of Corona today"
🤴

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #3206 on: March 20, 2020, 05:07:15 PM »
I was reading it's a real bad flu year as well, we thought vaccine was lining up well (influenza B), but halfway through season a lot of H1N1 broke out and wrecked shop. Checks out, we almost lost one of our 15 posters last month.  :(

“The current flu season has been difficult but it has not reached epidemic threshold,” infectious disease expert Amesh A. Adalja, MD, senior scholar at the John's Hopkins Center for Health Security in Baltimore, tells Health. “In the next couple of weeks, when more data is available, it will become clear just how severe the season was given that we had an initial dominance of influenza B and now dominance of influenza A H1N1.”

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #3207 on: March 20, 2020, 05:12:04 PM »
Not even going to dig up that Huff post re: flu and shots but just want you to imagine it.

Leadbelly

« Reply #3208 on: March 20, 2020, 05:24:43 PM »
The difference between mild and moderate has me a bit worried. Mild basically means you get a cough and a fever and it goes away. Moderate means you get both of those things but also pneumonia just for good measure. Pneumonia isn't nothing to sniff at.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3210 on: March 20, 2020, 05:27:09 PM »
Thinking about buying a gun so I can shoot everyone that comes within 1.5 meters of me to be safe.
I have dormant asthma if this thing hits me I'm already dead.

Also I mainly see old people wandering around on the streets, outside of few runners and people walking their dogs.
The old people also still try to get close. I basically avoid everyone like some reverse magnet right now lol.
🤴

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #3211 on: March 20, 2020, 05:32:12 PM »
Thinking about buying a gun so I can shoot everyone that comes within 1.5 meters of me to be safe.
I have dormant asthma if this thing hits me I'm already dead.

Also I mainly see old people wandering around on the streets, outside of few runners and people walking their dogs.
The old people also still try to get close. I basically avoid everyone like some reverse magnet right now lol.

So like a regular magnet then. Remember magnets have two poles.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #3212 on: March 20, 2020, 05:35:52 PM »

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #3213 on: March 20, 2020, 05:52:56 PM »
Some of the first detailed estimates of these covert cases suggest that they could represent some 60% of all infections
:doge

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-00822-x?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_content=organic&utm_campaign=NGMT_USG_JC01_GL_Nature

Coffee Dog

« Reply #3214 on: March 20, 2020, 05:54:05 PM »
Watching a livestream interview with my state's Lt Governor.

-On the possibility of a lockdown like New York and California: "We haven't even had that conversation yet."
-On enacting further measures: "We need to balance saving people's lives with allowing people to do what they need to do"
-On the economy: "(Local grocery chain) is hiring 500 workers. While there is contraction, there is also growth in other areas."
-On whether or not things are getting "worse" or "better": "We are very optimistic"

People living in red states and blue states are going to find themselves in very different situations, I'm feeling. At the state level everyone's just throwing their hands up and waiting for mass death.

Coffee Dog

« Reply #3215 on: March 20, 2020, 05:56:54 PM »
"While we do know there are cases of asymptomatic spread, it is most easily transferred when the person is symptomatic"

wtf

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #3216 on: March 20, 2020, 05:58:19 PM »
The fucking boomer/red states are pretending nothing is happening well past the point of crisis aversion.
This virus has been spreading rapidly, undetected for months now probably. Even if say just 5% of all infected are severe enough to merit a hospital trip, once the infected count is well into the 6 digit range you are gonna see a big boom that won't stop growing. Particularly for areas with lots of old and/or unhealthy.

Florida for one is likely to be utterly fucked within a few weeks.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #3217 on: March 20, 2020, 06:03:01 PM »
Spent 20% TOTAL test stock on asymptomatic Utah Jazz players/staff

https://twitter.com/kendallybrown/status/1240424167037599745

Coffee Dog

« Reply #3218 on: March 20, 2020, 06:07:24 PM »
thanks rudy

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #3219 on: March 20, 2020, 06:08:22 PM »
add in oil dumpster fire and not looking great for our oklahomies  :'(

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #3220 on: March 20, 2020, 06:09:13 PM »
thread of most likely moderate case of corona

https://twitter.com/Martha_Gill/status/1240957047816048641

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
dog

Leadbelly

« Reply #3224 on: March 20, 2020, 06:36:56 PM »
https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1241125139472941056

Yeah. I posted about that earlier. I can't see how it could be sustainable. I mean it's not. And so there is a big problem we will have to face a few months from now. No matter what option we choose there is a downside.

As I mentioned before, there are two strategies: Mitigation or Suppression. Basically the UK government changed from a mitigation strategy to a suppression one. Mainly because both strategies and no strategy were modelled. It turned out that the mitigation strategy could cost 250,000 lives and no strategy around 500,000.

The thing is though, there is no real upside to any of the strategies, as stated:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51915302
However, the suppression approach comes with major problems.

It effectively requires shutting down parts of society and there is no exit strategy.

As fewer people would be infected there would be little immunity in the population and cases would soar soon after measures were lifted again.

This is the conundrum China now faces. Research suggests 95% of people in Wuhan were still susceptible to the virus at the end of January.

The report suggests we may have to wait 18 months for a vaccine, but even that is not guaranteed.

We could be in this for the very long term.

It is worth stressing this is all based on mathematical models. They make assumptions, they are not perfect and what they find is not written in stone.

You can't keep everything closed for 18 months, but the truth is, you may have to because the moment you lift the ban, the virus may come back in a big way. It's not economically feasible though. Having an increasing population without money or jobs brings with it a whole new set of problems.

So then the mitigation strategy maybe? Well, it may cost 250,000 lives. We're fucked either way.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 06:49:41 PM by Leadbelly »

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #3225 on: March 20, 2020, 06:47:29 PM »
Been alerted that automotive coatings warehousing is indeed, an essential job and I am expected in Monday

Coffee Dog

« Reply #3226 on: March 20, 2020, 07:32:06 PM »
"I understand people are worried about their health, but we also need to worry about the economic health of the state."

that's my governor  :salute

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
:O

team filler

• filler
  • filler

Coffee Dog

« Reply #3229 on: March 20, 2020, 07:43:29 PM »
"The state of Utah is doing everything possible to ensure we have a short duration of troubled times, before a long period of prosperity and economic success"

libertarian loon

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3230 on: March 20, 2020, 08:18:00 PM »
Someone did the research on the deaths in Italy and apparently 99% of those that died had some other severe illness.
Very few people that are healthy succumb to this virus. The worst part is the pneumonia if you don't get that, you'll be ok like the lady above.

Still, the US with all its untreated pre-existing conditions and general poor healthcare access will look like Italy and perhaps worse if the outbreak goes big.
The US does have significant state resources to handle a crisis like this though, something that Italy lacks.

You can't keep everything closed for 18 months, but the truth is, you may have to because the moment you lift the ban, the virus may come back in a big way. It's not economically feasible though. Having an increasing population without money or jobs brings with it a whole new set of problems.
The Dutch decided to not lockdown for this reason. Our PM emphasized that if you lockdown you don't only have to wait until you beat the virus, but you need to wait for the world to be 'safe'.
He said it could be up to 3 years before a vaccine would've finally reached all corners of the world and the virus is eradicated ('if' that ever happens). I think that if Italy is through this very bad peak they're experiencing they're also going back to mitigation.
Suppression seems more aimed at preventing the healthcare services from breaking down than trying to contain the virus or the spread.

In fact at some point in the near future our government intends to remove some regulations again as the most vulnerable are either treated (or already dead).  :doge
🤴

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #3231 on: March 20, 2020, 08:28:53 PM »
So this is the true extent of Dutch Directness huh  :doge

bluemax

« Reply #3232 on: March 20, 2020, 08:29:28 PM »
Got my first delivery today from imperfect produce. Was only a day late and only missing the bread (that I threw in as a hopeful after thought). Glad to have fresh produce for another week.

There's an older guy on my block that I talk football with from time to time, ran into him this morning and he was telling me what it is like to be a delivery driver in LA right now. Said they're swamped with tons of new people trying to get into it (he claimed mostly people from restaurants who scoffed at the services a few weeks ago) and that people in rich neighborhoods are still being shitty with tips. As we were talking he had a request come in (at 8am) that was 10 miles away for $5.

I finished my first week of working from home and the last 3 days I've started having headaches towards the end of the day. I don't know if its from lack of movement, or that I'm not drinking enough water or low blood sugar or just general stress but fuck, I am not looking forward to another month of this.
NO

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #3233 on: March 20, 2020, 08:37:23 PM »
Well, I mean come on, if it was on time and had the bread then they could hardly call themselves "Imperfect Produce"?

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3234 on: March 20, 2020, 08:51:27 PM »

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #3235 on: March 20, 2020, 09:34:12 PM »
It's over.

Our last hope.

Has fallen.

Madagascar Confirms First Cases of Coronavirus: President
https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2020-03-20/madagascar-confirms-first-cases-of-coronavirus-president
:O

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #3236 on: March 20, 2020, 09:36:41 PM »
How is your throat James?

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3237 on: March 20, 2020, 10:14:00 PM »
That's some direct pillow talk. 

ToxicAdam

« Reply #3238 on: March 20, 2020, 10:24:41 PM »
The one silver lining between the Italy and America comparisons is that their old often still live in multi-generational homes, whereas ours live independently or in assisted care. Much easier to reduce contact points.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #3239 on: March 20, 2020, 10:26:11 PM »
The silver lining is that we discard our senior citizens somewhere we can't see them :tocry
每天生气